bleeding and 39 weeks pregnant
I went into the hospital today because I thought my water broke.  I also have 1 nonstress test a week.  I was having contractions 6 minutes apart.  The nurse was told to check me and after she did I was bleeding very heavy.  She said it was normal but I felt it was to red and to heavy. Is this normal?  My doctor I have seen during my pregnancy was not on call so they called the other doctor from the office he did not want to give me any drugs to help bring on the contractions more.  I was told by my doctor that by friday she would do that for me.  I am concerned about the bleeding. How long should I let it go?
I would go back to get a second opinion. It could be that your placenta is abrubting and this could be detrimental to both you and the baby. My mother's placenta came away around the same time with my sister (18 years ago) and she lost so much blood that they had to give her a transfusion. Plus my sister was without oxygen for enough length of time that first of all they said she may not live, then when she was in intensive care they said she would be severely brain damaged. Thankfully she survived and developed normally however at nearly 3 years of age she was tested and discovered to have moderate to severe deafness. She is extrememly bright but now wears hearing aids due to her deafness. This was all a result of a placental abruption and the hospital telling my mother it was 'normal' and not to come in until she was having regular contractions! It was her 4th baby...you'd think they'd have given her some credit as to having a clue...but anyway, I don't want to scare you too much but if you are worried about the bleeding I would go back to the ER or another dr and asked to be checked out again! This could be very serious!
yes, SOME bleeding can be caused by the exam.. especially in late pregnancy when your cervix is softening and all, but if you are still bleeding, go to the ER.. they need to check your placenta on an u/s.. I had placental abruptions with one of my pregnancies.. it was VERY scary;.. luckily my placenta hung on and all turned out well, so dont freak, but do insist on them checking it out
I had almost the same problem.  I was 7 months pregnant, and on the u/s the doc found out that a quarter of the uterus was full of blood, and threw a huge fit.  Weird thing is that the placenta was fine, the baby was in perfect health, and my blood/urine tests were good.  The blood was reabsorbed into my body and had a perfect labor and delivery.  We never found out what that fluke was all about.  But bleeding heavily, even after an examination, is NOT normal.  It never is.  I bled after examinations, but they were only pinkish, not heavy at all and not even near to red.