bleeding during sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

bleeding during sex

I am in my early 20's and have recently started sleeping with a new partner. We always use protection (condoms) and have never had unprotected sex, though I am not on any birth control otherwise. I am concerned because I recently noticed that sometimes I bleed during sex. It happened just about 4 days ago for the first time and it was a small amount that we only noticed when he took off the condom. Then it happened again yesterday but this time it was quite a bit of blood, similar to a heavy peiod and bright red in color. We were in the shower so it was hard to tell exactly how much but it did seem like it was quite a bit.

My real concern is that about 6 months ago I had a surgical abortion and never went in for a follow up visit because I was ashamed and didn't want to tell my regular ob gyn (which I regret now). I was about 8 weeks at the time of the abortion and I received the depo shot the day of the abortion and was spotty the entire 3 months (which I understand can be normal on the depo shot). I then decided not to continue with the depo shot and my periods became on time again (they have always been on time my entire life). Now in the last 6 weeks I have bled twice for about 5 days (a little heavier that usual) and then again during intercourse.

I'm wondering if the abortion could have anything to do with this irregular bleeding, because nothing like this has ever happened to me before. But I'm also wondering why I would be having new symptoms so many months after an abortion.

I've been tested for std's and go in regularily for pap smears and everything has always been normal as well. I am really ashamed of having an abortion and I would really like to avoid telling anyone about this if it wouldn't be considered unsafe for my reproductive health.

Thank you for your input.
When you have bleeding like this it is important to see your doctor asap ok.

There are other reasons besides STDs that can cause bleeding after sex such as rough sex, PID - pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, uterine polyps, inflammation of the cervix, uterine fibroids and cancer.

You aren't he first to have an abortion and you won't be the last, so don't be ashamed. You don't need to tell anyone except your doctor if you want. But see your doctor to find out why this is happening to you.