bleeding to death!

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

bleeding to death!

I am 21 years old and I have been on my period since I was 19 1/2 almost 20. I've been to 3 doctors who say I must have endometriosis and have put my on many different birth controls and have had countless, intrusive  exams. I was on depo for 9 months and was blessed with 4 weeks without bleeding out my insides, only to have it come back with the ferocity of a tsunami... from my uterus. I am now currently on Implanon (weird little flexible stick of hormones implanted in my arm) for 2 months now with no difference. I know it takes time but I feel as though I've gone mad. I am 105-110 pounds, how much more blood can I bleed before I'm cold and dead? I am constantly fatigued, in pain, and on edge. Thankfully my boyfriend has been so understanding and supportive over the past year in a half but it doesn't make it any less painful. this whole time the doctors keep saying; "it will work itself out," why don't they seem as concerned as I am?? HELP?!
Please tell me they're at least treating you for anemia.

Have they done an ultrasound, etc. to see if you do have endometriosis rather than just assuming?  Have they talked to you about treatment options for endo, which I know range beyond birth control?  Yes, birth control is the first stop, but you've been on it for a long time now in many different forms from the sound of it and obviously the other options need to be explored since it's doing nothing for you.

I'm not sure what to tell you aside from keep trying different doctors and be your own advocate.

Stress you've tried all different types of birth control and that you've been bleeding for about a year and a half with only a four week break during the depo shot.  Tell them NO, you are not willing to try another type of birth control if they try to suggest another type.  Tell them you are not going to put up with the run around and that you want to discuss other treatment options out there.  Get a couple opinions on what treatments are out there.  Do some research before the appointment, too, so you know what's out there and aren't lead down the wrong path by someone who wants to go from not extreme (birth control) to something extreme.
Thank you so much for your detailed response, your advice is very helpful. I was borderline anemic and have since increased my iron intake. I have had and internal and external ultrasound along with many pelvic exams. They say the only way to be positive it's endometriosis is by going in laparoscopically. This is the last resort, but it is very likely to just come back again after thousands of dollars spent to supposedly remedy the issue. But due to a decline in my intestinal and bladder health, the pain has greatly inclined and I am scheduled for surgery in early September. Again I thank you kindly for all your information. I hope this goes well, fingers crossed!
Des_a_rae Ironic? Had a dream last n... Comment
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
How Bad Science and Big Business Cr...
20 hrs ago by gymdandee
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals