bloating and water retention DURING period only

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

During the week of my period, I gain 6-7 lbs of water and bloat, its really gross and nothing gets rid of it. It's starts the day my period starts, and goes until I start the pill again ( 3 days later the weight starts to go down). My whole body looks like a waterbed, ripply, watery, upper arms, squishy and bloated abdomen. I drink tons of water, etc and it still stays.

I know most women bloat a bit BEFORE their periods then lose it when the period comes... I wonder why mine is DURING my period, and what I can do about it, i.e. diuretics, do they work, any brands, etc? I take some Alleve during the first few days for cramps, but I don't think thats causing it, is it?
Help I can't get into any of my clothes!!
Well, I'd say first to limit your salt intake as much as possible.  Do you exercise during your period--if not, try to exercise more?  Also, Midol should help.
I think every women is different.  I am bloated sometimes during my period too.  I don't think its that uncommon.
I don't use salt, I do exercise, which during the rest of the month will drop water retention, but doesnt work during period. It must be hormonal???
Most women I know dont gain 7 lbs of water-- it really looks awful, are there any diruetics that work? Help!
I always gain 3-4 pounds during my period..it goes away a few days after my period ends...i think that its normal to gain weight like that during..i always have
I too have the same problem.  I am in the United States Army and I exercise daily; however, every month I find myself bloated.  Whenever my period goes off, everyone ask me have I lost weight.  Is it that obvious?  I am sorry but I don't have an anwser for bloating but I do know that exercise helps for the cramps.
I also have this problem, though not as many pounds of water.  Have often wondered if i was merely imagining it and it was really fat because it seems to hang around for a long time even after the period.  Sometimes, i only seem to get back to normal just before my period.  I'm 50 and notice this more with age, but maybe I just never paid much attention before.
Sorry, i meant to say: I also have no magic cure.  I've been on diuretics lately for a heart condition, and they work, but i doubt you can get them without a prescription.  

Vitamin C (esp in powder form) seems to have diuretic effects.  
Hi lawoman, I am the same as you...I gain exactly 7 pounds regulary ( very rarely its sometimes 10) and when I bring it up to the doctor they don't take me seriously. It's horrible!  I don't know what to do I cant control it. Usu its BEFORE my period. Right now its on it, Sometimes I feel like i'm imagining things, and im just fat, but no its the water weight because it will go away and my face / stomach will look slim again...ure not alone. My waist can gain 3 inches within one hour. I dont have a solution...yet...i just wanted you to know its no as uncommon as you think....unfortunately.

Still searching
whoops i meant to say 3 inches in one day
I have this problem too, i gain 5 - 7lbs and i hate it, i can't fit into any of my clothes, but i find that it does go away once i finish my period.
It is normal to go through this, but every woman is different! I experience this 2 weeks before my period.. I dont take anything for it, as my doc says its completely normal, but just to make sure not to eat too much salty foods, and avoid caffine alot too.. Eating plenty of fruit helps too..
Do not stress, that would make it worse. Just exercise for about 30 mins gently, and avoid junk foods..
I am glad I am not the only one. I gain a good 5lbs in water weight the first day of my period and usually find myself slimmest the 2-4 days before my period starts. I just give in and have a few pairs of work pants that are a size bigger, then switch to sweats when I am at home. If anyone finds anything OTC that they swear by, let me knkow, I'd be at the store in a heartbeat.
get your lymph notes drained. a registered massage therapist can do this for you, not a massuse!!!!
also, you can try water balance drops like aqu-rite. i havent tried them but they are supposed to work. it is very important to get your lymph notes drained though.
my jeans feel very tight today and i have my period.  its hard because i am trying to lose weight, and i felt like i was before i got my period.  now i'm stressing because i dont know if my jeans are tight because i have my period or because i am gaining weight!
Ok girls, THANK GOD that I am NOT the only one that goes through this! Please help me here....are there some months you may have little bloating and then the next period or two you are like a baloon? I gain anywhere from 5-8lbs during my period easily I know this because I am on the atkins diet and did the induction about 3 months ago and after 1 months had dropped 13lbs then 8 weeks later I go to the dr and (of course it was like the last day of my period) and he says "you have gained 5lbs, I am sure after your cycle is over you will have lost a pound or two" so a month goes by and omg here we are again with the period but this month is MUCH WORSE than last as today is only the 4th day of my period I usually have it for 6 and the size 28" jeans that I tried on last period were tight then but tonight they seemed even tighter, and of course I freak out thinking omg maybe the atkins is making me fat or that 1400-1500 calores may be too much for me, but then I go back and look at my diet plan from several months ago and there were only a few days that I didn't eat close to 1500 calories?? So what I am saying is that evidently it appears that most all women go through this where their clothes that normally may fit a comfortable snug are about to cut them in two or they can't get into their clothes at all, I think that some periods for use will change from month to month and that some periods are going to be worse and pack on more water and inches than others? What do you guys think?
i don't own a scale, so a couple months ago i measured my waist non-period and again a few days later when my period began.  the difference was SIX INCHES!!  my stomach grows so huge that friends have occasionally asked if i was pregnant... one embarassing moment: i had to ask a friend to go to court in my place because i could not fit into one single appropriate outfit!  i've been considering buying one maternity suit so that wouldn't happen again... please help!
Dude I Have the same problem and I've attacked it with a 2 pronged approach, as I refuse to have my body defeat me. With that kind of bloating, you might have PMDD. I do and I started taking yaz 4 years ago. Changed my life. Before I had severe cramps, up to 10 lbs bloating, weight gain, constipation, nausea, you name it. Now all of that stuff is GONE!!!! It's awesome. Sometimes when I'm stressed I'll still bloat and gain about 5 lbs, but that only happens 3 or 4 times a year. When I feel water retention coming on, I'll take 1 aqua-ban or diurex pill every 6 hours until I feel it's safe to stop, usually about 1 day before my period stops. This combo of things really worked for me. Before I felt like pms/period stuff took up 2 weeks out of every month. So on effect it was ruining 50% of my life! I refused to live thal way! Good luck to you!
If it helps... am the same as you. I've always suffered with extreme bloating & cramps, to the point I've had to buy extra clothes 2 sizes bigger for the 1 week a month I can not fit into my usual size. Luckily last year while on holiday in teignmouth, Devon I found a healthfood shop called Nutters. They sell a liquid called water formula...10 drops on your tongue for a minute & you can see a difference in 20mins. Fantastic! Plus they do mail order and now have it sent to my door! It's all natural, but if you still want to know more phone them they're very knowledgeable. Would not be without it now. Goodbye extra clothes. Hope this helps. I Know how bad it can be. The no.   (01626) 776246 should be right, hope this helps. Sarah
Try: Aloe Vera pills and take up to 100 mgs a day of vitamin B6. I heard vitamin A works too. Avoid salty food and caffeine like the plague, and drink lots of water, and increase your fruit & veggie intake. Good luck!
I have the same problem....but I think that stress plays a big role in how much we bloat.  For instance, when I am at work/school I tend to lose sleep and eat more junk food which will definitely make me bloat more when I get my period.  But when I'm on vacation its better because I have time to cook meals and sleep when I'm tired.  So I'd say the best thing to do is try to rest more often and do things that are relaxing for you.  It might also help to get a few pairs of pants that are larger just for days that you do have your period.  That way it will be an easier transition.  
Then on days you don't have your period try jumping rope because it's been estimated that 10 minutes of jumping rope is equal to 30 minutes of jogging.  Amazing!  And it's very good for the mid section.  On days you do have your period I usually do walking, yoga or other more gentle exercises.  I hope this helps!
I know plenty of women who use water pills. You take them before your period as directed on box. Diurex water pills helps relieve bloat and puffiness, water weight gain, and related fatigue, and minor aches and pains associated with premenstrual and menstrual periods.

Everyone else is right as well exercising more and not doing a lot of salt- which absorbs everything its a sponge for weight gain in general! Also keep drinking water and try eat right while on period.
I also the same as u.sometimes it stays long even after my period.i get normal a few days before the next period n'it starts again.i hv to hit the gym regularly cos i feel fat all d'time.