blood pressure and niacin
A year ago my bp was hovering around 134/90.  My doc said that I would need to start thinking about bp med if things didn't change.   Recently someone told me about Niacin and so about three months ago I started taking a 320 mg. non-flush niacin pill one time a day.  My bp is now 124/80.  Does the niacin really work and is it safe to take?  thanks  B.K.
It's certainly safe to take, it's a B vitamin and is taken for a lot of things.  You could even have needed it in general.  When you ask if it works, do you mean has it worked for anyone else, or are you asking if your numbers show improvement?
Wow, that really works?  I, too, have to be on BP meds.  Would taking the Niacin help me to lower it naturally?
Annie Brooks:  Yes, I'm asking if it has worked for others and if it is safe to continue to take.  I'm trying to stay off all prescrip. drugs and so far, so good.  I only take a prescription for my allergies and I do need those.
My numbers have improved so I have to think the Niacin is helping my bp but I guess I'd just like to know if it's helped others as well.  thanks.  B.K.
As far as I've read, Niacin is safe to take if you stick to the recommended doses.  Although it is a water-soluble vitamin and the excess should leave your system, apparently there can be side effects if you were to go wild with it and take mega-doses.  But it is a known and recommended treatment for various things (high cholesterol, for example).  Your doctor should be able to tell you more.