blood vessels popping in fingers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 601-617 comments:
I am a 29 year old female. I have suffered from this vein popping in my fingers and thumbs for about 3-4 years now. I don't have low blood pressure, but I do have a problem with circulation in my hands and feet, which I believe I inherited from my mother, although she has never suffered from vein popping. My fingers have always gotten so cold that my nail beds go dark purple/blue and my hands a black colour, actually very corpse like in all honesty. I first got the itch, tingle and stinging sensation when I was driving and I must have grabbed the gear stick a little too hard. I am now getting this more and more frequently, probably 3 times in the last month. It's quite worrying when there is talk of vein wall weakness. My other halfs brother is a doctor so I will try and ask him for his input.
Someone up-thread said that Achenbach's (if this is Achenbach's) has nothing to with anything, but It sounds like it would probably be more accurate to say that no-one KNOWS to what Achenbach's/this condition might be related. Very little has been researched/written about it based on a quick scan of PubMed. Anecdotally from this board, though (and I haven't counted all the posts - just read them), it seems that there is a strong - if not exclusive - correlation between this condition and Raynaud's/poor circulation disorders, and that many more people here have low than high blood pressure and are of normal weight. Auto-immune diseases also seem to be fairly common among sufferers as are weak nails, teeth, hair. Perhaps a postdoc somewhere would like to start a small study.... Perhaps someone would like to draft a questionnaire for the users here to start aggregating information?

Incidentally, I am 44, exercise regularly, normal weight, healthy diet, low blood pressure, Raynaud's, brittle teeth and hair (no AI disease, but quite a few cases in my family)  - another one of the most common 'type' we seem to be seeing here. I realize now that this has happened to me in the past, but always assumed I had unknowingly injured myself. This time I thought I was having some kind of spasm in my hand while pushing the cart in the grocery store, but then watched as a bump and blue bruise appeared on my palm in a few seconds - no trauma whatsoever. My hands were freezing and my blood pressure was very low at the time (I was feeling a bit light-headed) -don't know if that was a trigger, but just another bit of information to add to the pool of anecdotes.
Hey everyone, I have been dealing with the bursting blood vessels in my hands for several years now. It got to the point where it was happening several times a week for no reason. I also bled A LOT when I had hip surgery a year a half ago and I'm sure it was due to weak vein walls.

My hematolagist suggested Vitamin C, and based on some other comments on this thread I decided to purchase whole food vitamin C. I started taking it about two weeks ago and the bruising and bursting has stopped. I can't tell you how happy I am!

Go get some whole foods vitamin C. I purchased a bottle from Whole Foods Market, but if you don't have a natural food store near you order it online. I'm not quite sure what the difference is between regular Vitamin C and whole foods Vitamin C, but since someone else said to use whole foods vitamin C I took their advice.

I started taking about 1,000 mg a day and now I just take between 325 and 500 mg a day. The brand I take is Truly Natural Vitamin C, but again, I"m sure any brand that uses a 100% food concentrate would be fine.

Good luck!
I am 59 and have had this mysterious hand/finger bruising for the past 5 years.  At first it happened 2-3 times/week but now it happens on occasion.   Just today, for the first time in a couple of months, the knuckle on my third finger started stinging painfully - next thing I know the bruise showed up.  This is the first time its happened on the back side of my hand.  It normally happens on the palm or fingers with painful stinging, even itching at times, followed by bruising.  

It's interesting that not many dr's have heard of this.  I would ask my dr. about it but due to my high stress job she has recently begun to relate every one of my health concerns to stress and I'm sure this would be lumped in with the rest.  

I am going to add the Vit C to my D, B-complex and iron regimen and see if that works for me.  Good luck and good health to you all!
on Saturday a vein burst in the my middle finger on my left hand, it started blue and when my finger tip got pins and needles i got worried. after about an hour i made a compress with Swedish bitters around the affected area, which i the later replaced with a cotton wool soaked in Swedish bitters that covered the whole finger. I found some Arnica tablets and took one every hour, i found the Rescue Remedy and took one dosage just to be on the safe side. I read so much about the benefits of bicarbonate of soda so i replaced the Swedish bitters with a paste of bicarbonate of soda over the whole finger. I don't know what worked better but when i woke up my finger that had only slight discoloration and worked perfectly.
I am use to having cold hands and feet but yet i cant wear very fitting clothes as i get perspire a lot. A few years ago on summer nights i use to get up in the middle of the night and run cold water over the palms of my hands to try and cool off. Around about the same time i use to wash my hair most mornings and let it dry naturally to try and keep my body cool for longer.
I still bruise easily and have about 3 big bruises on my legs (8 yr old thinks moms a jungle gym) and a bruise on the back of my hand and arm, okay and i drink a lot of black coffee.
I have had the popping in my fingers for 20 years.  I'm female, 57, white, thin, low blood pressure, healthy ~ no smoking or alcohol. Mild Raynauds.  It doesn't happen often, maybe 6 times a year.  Today for the first time it happened in the joint below my big toe.  I felt the sting/itch and watched the bruise spread across the joint.  As with my finger pops, my bruising comes on fast, but is usually gone in a few hours.  I have asked my doctor about this and she was not familiar. I think I'm going to start photographing the bruising and show her the photos on my next physical and emphasis the point that these bruises are not the result of any type of injury.  I'd really like to know what this is.
    Hey you told my story except I do smoke, don't eat right, almost 47 with spinal stenosis in neck and low back so I am not real physical. (okay- that part is nothing like your story but this part..)
    I have been experiencing the finger thing for a year or more didn't put it together with yesterday's incident til I read your story. Yesterday while driving (I reached for my bottle of h2o in next seat, took drink and set it down and  my wrist suddenly felt like it had been hit, stung and burned all at once. It ached to move into some positions but the skin and tissue in a 1x2 inch area hurt for few hours then stopped and a bluish bruise appeared, next morn the bruise is dark pink, purple- maroonish w/a pale center. My blood work up over past year has only hinted my hyper (low) is now boardering on hypo (other side of the 'acceptable range' or vise/versa anyhow it runs in my family on 2 or 3 sides}
   So I am writing just in-case you received a medical diagnosis? Lost medical coverage 5 months ago and the internet is my 1st stop. Thank you for continuing to read thru my 'whole story' Hope you are healthy and maybe informed.... lol thank you
Hi just wnt to say glucosamine has virtaly cured my blood vessel popping if that halps anyone---Ta
This is what I get. I will just be opening a door or doing the dishes and I will get a sharp pain and notice I've once again had a small blood vessel burst in my hand or wrist.
It is worse if I am hot or if I have taken aspirin. I'm healthy, skinny, low blood pressure, Reynaud's syndrome.  It also happens in my feet and I've had it cover the entire top of my foot dark purple. Bioflavinoids ar good for building up vein walls .  My doctor thinks it's the Effexor (anti-depressant) that I'm on. It's a relief to hear there are so many other's who experience this.
I am also male, early 50's, fit and healthy but with this same - or similar -problem, to which I have had a tendency for the last 30 years. Unfortunately I am a cellist, and the problem manifests itself when I try and play without properly warming up the left hand (which has to press on the steel strings quite hard). A sudden sharp pain - like a needle sticking in - is followed by a prolonged sensitivity (pain) to any pressure which used to last usually a few days or up to a week. Now, these incidents are happening more often and last for longer. I can only play if I put thick protective padding on the sore fingertip.
To continue: like many people in this forum, I have low blood pressure, slow pulse, a healthy diet and regular exercise ..... and a big problem with my hands getting very cold.
Does everyone here just experience this on fingers? I also get the ruptured capillaries on arms , around muscles, when i've been doing heavy lifting/gardening.
Much improved with Grapeseed Extract and also fish oils, but still happening.
Well normally I would say this isn't anything to worry about since we are all still alive.  But since you play the cello it is a huge problem for you.  I would try 'Food Form Vitamin C" which is NOT the same as the Vitamin C you purchase in the vitamin or health food stores.  It's more expensive and the only place I know to get it is:  ****.com
I would try the grape seed since many here recommend it. Hawthorne berry is also something you may want to research.  I don't know if any brand is better than others.  I get most vitamins at ****.com because they are cheap. Maybe check what alpha lipoic acid does.  Anything to strengthen blood vessels.  I can't remember.  
Maybe this would help.  It's worth a try.  I hope you find some help.
No.  It happens wrists, hands. palms, wrists, toes top and bottom and chest.  
Maybe it's something to do with  low body fat. A hefty layer of fat under the skin acts as shock-absorber , and presumably protects the capillaries from physical trauma.
  A lot of us mention a healthy diet/lifestyle, lowish body weight , and low blood pressure.
  Any opinions on this?
So glad to find this forum!  Researching my symptoms, and finding others with similar experiences.
I work in public health, and no one around me at work yesterday had a clue what I was experiencing.  They thought I'd hit my finger, and one guy even joked that my jewelry much be really cheap to be turning my finger like that. Ha!
It was of course my engagement/wedding ring finger on my left hand.  Ow! Back, palm side. Tingly and then turned blue and black from joint at base to the tip.
Has happened sporadically before.
I'm 50, fit the peri menopausal profile. Hormone fluctuations. Normal weight. Physically fit, work out 5 days a week. Perfect blood pressure, hair, and teeth. No medical conditions whatsoever.
Glad to read about Achenbach Syndrome.  
Achenbach Syndrome doesn't seem to fit.  If you had an actual "blood blister" which is described then technically you could puncture it and blood would ooze out.  That is not what I am experiencing.   Is that what anyone is experiencing?  Mine is more like a raised area that looks like a bruise and burns and itches.
I just saw your reply to me from last year.  I'm sorry I missed it.  When I read about Achenbach it described "blood blister." That is the confusing part.  But you are the doc.  I always thought of a blood blister as something when punctured would bleed.  So that is not the case?  Can it be anywhere on the body?
A medical doctor last October posted to me that it IS Achenbach Syndrome.  So now I will research it more.  
I have the popping in fingers happening 4 or 5 times the last month and yesterday while gardening with clippers and manual sheers a vessel or 2 pop in the midle finger. I had gloves and did not stop although I had a strong feeling of pain.  2 hours later when I completed my task, remove the glove, the COMPLETE middle finger was red purple and heavy.  I took some Arnica mini pills (homeopathy) and this morning the finger has the same color, if swollen and tight, the color spread slightly into the palm under the finger.  I am giving it another 24 hours (with total rest) today, wrapd some ice around it and pursue research as to why it happens.  I am quite a "busy body" paint walls and furniture, repair them too and "attack" the weeks and overgrown branches when my garden needs it.
http://genevaspine.com/?tag=achenbachs-syndrome.   This web site explains 'achenbachs-syndrome and demonstrates with pictures. The pikkies look just like my fingers when they 'burst to blue'.  The episode I experienced last month with my third finger on my right hand has now left a considerable lump in the finger and a continuous stabbing pain.  So far over 25 years a total of 6 fingers & 3 toes have 'burst to blue' on a fairly regular basis.  Sadly I suffer from a number of autoimmune diseases and on a bad day take 29 meds for the following health issues, Hashimotos thyroid, heart- Atrial Fibrillation caused by the brittle asthma, multiple allergies, urticaria, coeliacs disease, addison's disease, vitiligo, secondary Sjogrens syndrome.   The 'blue finger syndrome'  is so annoying.
Hi All,

I too have had this for years.  There is no trauma involved, just pain, swelling, and purple fingers.  It is typically the thumb or middle finger for some reason, my others are fine.  I've asked many physicians about this and no one is very concerned about it except for me.  I finally, after much googling, found out what it is.  It is called Achenbach syndrome.  It is a benign condition according to what I've read.  Although I knew there were no lasting effects, it was still concerning.  Google this and you will see!
Hi, I too am mother of twins and am suffering from these stinging pops in my fingers. I am 38, overweight, smoker, no alcohol, varied diet with lots of caffeine. My blood pressure is low. The mention of the pian in your armpit is what prompted me to respon to your post in particular as this is also something that happens to me. Do you ever have a hard time with keeping food in, one way or another? I seem to struggle with that often. The one difference that I see here is that I have very warm hands that never get cold, people mention the heat of them not the cold. Still I am very relieved that this dose not seem to be a sign of an imminent stroke.
Yesterday I had a blood vessel burst in my left ring finger when opening a cabinet in my kitchen. I've had this happen 2-3 times on my toes and on my right thumb. Like many of you, it stings, swells, turns blue. I use helichrysum (everlast) therapeutic essential oil and the pain stops pretty quickly and bruise heals within a day. I have low blood pressure, exercise and eat healthy but my mother has varicose veins and my father's had a few strokes.

I will definitely up my Vit C intake and try grapeseed extract.
Glad to see that many others have been around a long time after the first occurance. I am 53 and hope to live several more decades.
I have had this occur off and on over the years..always being told that it is no big deal.  I am now seeing a naturopath who says it is from weakness in the connective tissue.  I am to ramp up eating dark foods, - - berries, dark vegies, anything high in bioflavenoids.  I am taking Thorne Venacaps, and taking a highly concentrated product called Fruit Anthocyanins by a Dr. Mitchell.  

My naturopath says my vericose veins are also because of the same issue.  I have not had a reoccurrence since starting this plan.  In my case, he said to cease taking a daily baby aspirin.  Hope this helps!!!
Hi to everyone. Having just trawled thru a load of these posts, it seems loads of you suffer from low blood pressure, fainting when you stand up, varicose veins etc. Has anyone been diagnosed with joint hypermobility syndrome?. Seems to me that over flexible connective tissue might mean your small blood vessels are unusually fragile and prone to damage or spontaneous bursting. But I'm no doctor.
http://medical-base.com/symptoms-and-treatment-methods-for-a-popped-blood-vessel-in-finger

I just found this. worth a read.
I do not necessarily agree with your opinion that this is nothing to worry about.  I don't mean to be an alarmist, but I occasionally have the popping in my palm, finger and foot vessels.  Not often.  The clincher is that I've also had my carotid artery dissect twice.  It hurts the same way, but in my neck.  The first time I was 26 years old and went to the doctor because I thought it was an especially painful lymph node.  I was admitted to the hospital that afternoon and they did an MRI on my neck and brain.  Watched for stroke in the hospital for a week as they treated me with blood thinners and let it heal on its own.  Didn't do surgery bc of my age.  They would have done surgery if I had been in my 60s.  Happened again 2 years later, roughly same spot.  I also have had super ventricular tachycardia (corrected with heart ablation), lost a child at 34 weeks due to fetal maternal hemorrhage, I'm 6'0" (slightly tall for a woman), mitral valve prolapse.  I went through genetic counseling and testing for lupus, marfan's syndrome, etc after we lost our daughter.  They determined that I had a collagen disorder but couldn't come up with a name.  Collagen is the "glue" that holds us together.  I believe I remember it being in essentially every part of us.  I think that the popping (or dissection) of blood vessels is related to collagen but I haven't seen one single person mention that on this forum.  
Yes , the capillary fragility must be due to a collagen disorder.This is why many of us are taking Vit C and Grapeseed Extract , both shown to assist collagen synthesis.
   Unfortunately G.P.s don't seem interested. My G.P. offered to refer me to a specialist , but as she said , she had no idea in which field.
Business_woman2
First this could be something more serious so be sure to check with your doctor.   Ask your healthcare provider firts, but you can  try with vitamin C with Bioflavinoids (at least 300 mg Bioflvinoids)  Years ago,  I went to the doctore because I had very heavy periods and bruising for no reason.  We tied icing and raising the foot of my bed for the periods. He was going to hosipitalize me to medicate.   I asked for something natural, first, so he recommended Peridin-c .  It is nothing but C with Bioflainoids.  It works to prevent bruises in me.I believe it is disontinued as a perscription drug.  Dentists perscribed it years ago befor dental surgery to build up capillary strength.

I stil have to take it if I take aspirin and before my last  medical surgery

PS Bioflavanoids is the white part of the orange skin  I have eaten tangerine peel for a  few days with the same result but my tangerines are chemical free
If you haven't found out yet ,and this post is not too old,I would look into gluten sensitivity and celiac disease.  Best test for CD is from IMMCo Diagnostics in Buffalo, NY.
Thanks everyone for posting on this perplexing situation! Today I was chopping some kindling and a little while later I felt the sting on the inside of my middle finger. It's happened before and I've always pretty much ignored it thinking it was some little injury as I'm always using my hands. Well I found out that I had Reynauds syndrome when I moved to a colder climate. (Dad, brother and cousin also have it, so probably hereditary.) Also, ocular migraines, as I noticed another poster mentioning. My brother gets the burst veins in his eye. Oh yeah, I had a brain aneurism (aneurysm) a couple of years ago, too. They said I was real lucky to have survived and not have any damage. But the neurologists couldn't tell me why it happened, just said it probably wouldn't happen again. It might of been a weak spot since birth. So, there really are a lot of things the doctors can't give you an answer for is what I learned. And since it was a teaching hospital they tested me for everything under the sun. So, I will be curious to see if someone ever gets a straight answer on this.
I have had breaking in my fingers for the last 25years and have always been very healthy. I have been taking prescription atenolol 50mg for at least 25 years. Recently my doctor lessened the dose to25 Mg and have had only one eplsode in the last five months I hope this information will be helpful to someone else.
I've had the same problem for most of my life, with the first episode way back in my teens. I don't have to be doing anything at all when I feel the sting followed by swelling in the finger or thumb. The bruise seems to last anywhere from a day or two to beyond a week. A few times, the finger would look completely dark, be physically cold and have no feeling - while the other fingers were warm. When this happens, I try to keep the injured finger warm.

Have never been diagnosed with Raynaud's but years ago did my own research and definitely believe I have it.

The bursting blood vessels happen many times during the course of the year and it doesn't matter if it's warm or cold and if I'm doing a chore or nothing at all.

Have read through all the posts and am relieved to find there are others suffering from the same problem. My issue seems to be that once the bruising occurs, it continues to be injured and won't heal quickly. No doctor has taken an interest in this and my fear is completely losing circulation to the digit.

Yes, I have had toes affected as well, but it's usually the fingers/thumbs and it happens to either hand.

Will look into the supplements and see if they help. Thanks for all the info!
Popped a vessel in my finger yesterday while chopping onions turned the whole finger black and it swelled up, later that night went to the fridge for a drink and when i opened the door is when i went all dizzy couldnt see a thing and then i collapsed was knocked out cold for about ten minutes when i came round i stayed down for ages physically couldnt get up and everytime i tried to stand i hit the floor again i was sweating very bad and shaking it has happened me once before when i was pregnant with the same symptons... Im 39 always tired always cold but sweat a lot have a thin build and im 5"5 weighing 8 1/2 stone.. It was pretty scary to say the least.
This has happened to me a few times too ; probably not related to the ruptured capillary but could be low blood pressure. I notice most of us on this forum are female , slim or skinny , with low blood pressure.
Best get checked out by doc , though.
I've had popping vessels since my 20's, noticing it during volleyball - ouch! It was every now and then until my 50's when it happened more often every time in contact with a hard object, then several times a week last year (now in my 60's) even when clapping my hands. Pain, swelling, purple/blue color.

I asked my teacher who is a physician and an osteopath - I was in a course with him - and could only think of two things that had changed.  One was that I had been taking less animal protein, and two - I'd been taking systemic enzymes for a few months just for preventative reasons.

Oddly, he said it probably was the enzymes - specifically the lipase - which can act like a steroid and break down the lipids in the vessels walls if you take too much. I stopped taking the enzymes, added animal protein back in (some red meat) and it stopped happening.  I became a vegetarian in my 20's, so the connection may be more diet than age.

When not taking the enzymes and a vessel ruptures, it has also helped just to add more red meat, which also helps stabilize the joints via connective tissue I suppose - ligaments don't seem so lax.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

asure
Thank you for coming on and saying so. I want to be keep informed please take my email address. ***@****.  My doctor did not even address the complaint after reporting this.  I have low blood pressure, have had all my life and was recently put on thyroid meds'. Which I have not seen the results from yet (2 months now).  I eat well and stay physically fit for my age (63) .  Would appreciate hearing what you may find out. Thank You.
Many similar characteristics w others who post here, both the positive (low BP, slim, active etc) and the problematic.   I am retired CNM and active still as nurse, v interested in Complimentary and Alt. Medicine incl homeopathy.
Asked for suggestions for   supplement at our local pharm where they carry wide variety of suppl. and was told to take RUTIN, which is a  citrus flavinoid glycoside.   I believe I take 500mg/day but ran out abt a week ago and can't recall.  What I can report is that my sx ( popped capillaries esp in fingers) had improved significantly after starting the supplement and returned within about 3-5days of running out of it.   Also have bruise on my arm that I know of no associated cause for.   I initially took the supplement without reading much at all but with the recurrence I have gotten curious and found this exchange site.  I realize now (!) there is a homeopathic remedy call "Ruta Graveolens".   Rutin in some sources thought to be more potent antiox than quercitin, but in other places this is reverse.  

In any case, for what it is worth, I wanted to post this and am grateful for the exchange though I may not get back to the site.  
What a relief to find someone who has had the same experience. I have just left hospital after a pulmonary embolism, and tried to tell the doctors about the popping veins, but they didn't listen. Apart from taking hormone replacement therapy I had no other risk factors, I'm 57, 61 kilos (I'm english and living in france) and more or less vegan for the past 6 months.
You have just described me!  I am vegan, healthy, fairly sporty, very low blood pressure.  Have quite extensive medical knowledge and have never come across this before.  I had a vein pop in my ring finger yesterday and I have lost the feeling in the tip of the same finger.  Puzzled.  I do get cold hands but don't really think I have Reynauds.  Sasha
It's started happening to me too. Happy to find this page as I was worrying a bit. I'm 47, active, slim, tall.. work full time, busy life teaching. Nursing background before teaching, so know something can't be right for blood vessels to pop for nothing! Also have low blood pressure. Take HRT as had Endometrial cancer at 29.. no recurrence. Not something I'd bother making appointment at GP for usually just get on with things... but will go and mention it and post back with result. I do get tired and probably tend to push through this rather than resting... always lots to do, see, experience!
Hi, I've just found this forum and wanted to add my experience.  I'm 43, female, normal weight, average height, a vegetarian since my teens and generally healthy.  I do however have an underactive thyroid, have hypermobile joints (fingers, hips and shoulders) and polycystic kidneys (which I was diagnosed with 22 years ago but have no need for medication).  I have been having episodes of popping veins for a few years now, both in my fingers and toes and before finding this site only knew of one other person who had similar symptoms.  I mentioned it to my doctor in passing who said he didn't have a clue what it was and when I jokingly said it would give him something to research, he laughed and said "I don't think so", which didn't help me feeling like a freak.  Anyway, I don't have to be physically doing anything to feel the stinging and throbbing, a massive pressure and eventually the pain of it popping and eventually bruising.  After the bruising, although it feels tender, it generally isn't painful anymore and the bruising does subside after a day or two.  Although I do feel the cold I don't think I suffer with bad circulation.  It even happened whilst holidaying in the South of France where it was scorching hot.  I was walking down a medieval street when I felt the sensation in my big toe.  It got to the stage where I couldn't even walk and had to sit on the pavement in agony whilst the pain disappeared.  Obviously the look on my face must've given away the pain I was in as several people crowded around to see if I was OK.  Anyway, last night I was speaking to another friend who also suffered from Polycystic Kidney Disease but has since had a transplant, but who also mentioned that she suffered the same "popping".  We wondered whether it could have anything to do with the disease, which incidently can also cause brain aneurisms!  Any further insight would be very interest to hear. So sorry for the long-winded wibble!.
i wasnt too concerned while this was happening in my fingers and hands and wrists, but lately my calves are bruised and i dont have varicose veins, ans my blood clotting is totally normal.... the worst pain i have ever had, cant stand or walk because calf is so very sore, about 15 bruised spots scattered all over
Up your vitamin C fruits to an over the top level. I've been ok for over a year now except yesterday when I had a bruise appear on the sole of my foot and behind my big toe. It was soooo painful. I've been through a colossally stressful period just lately and I'm sure it's to do with vitamin c levels that go down due to stress. 2 years ago veins kept popping and my oh my, did the areas look bad!!!  Then I upped my fruit I have for breakfast -- mainly berries -- to an expensive level but hey - no more bruising. I honestly swear by mega vitamin C, not in tablets but in fruit. Plus veges everyday with your dinner, like Kale and Spinach. Try it and see?......
Im also glad I found this post. I also am 62, slim, very healthy, low blood pressure all my life. I wondered if it was because I have a glass of red wine everynight so thought I'd switch to white wine but.... who knows. It is always the inside of my finger joints and recently was trying on a pair of shoes and my foot vein burst. I thought there was a spider in the shoe that had bitten me LOL.  I'm not too worried about it as, overall, I have enjoyed brilliant health all my life and, no, it is not related to cold hands, at least for me.  thanks for this great thread.
Thanks everyone.  This describes me to a T.  Thin, 70, mainly vegetarian, active, not stressed, good circulation all my life.  Achenbach's definitely fits the bill - collagen disorder makes sense to me.   I don't take  meds and live a healthy life eating crunchy foods, but will definitely go for Real Vit C in mega doses, grapeseed extract, berries, kale and spinach, and will have a fat steak once a week from now on.  YUM.

Sallymc
So glad I found this forum.  I am 77, not slim (a little overweight), had an ablation 18 months ago for A-fib. take Pradaxa, a blood thinner, physically active, low BP whole life.  Hands and feet usually feel cold to others.  Had occasional popping with stinging in ring finger right hand in past 20 years, but this last month twice in same finger, once in left thumb, and tonight left hand pad opposite thumb pad.  For a week or so after initial popping of vessel, whenever finger or thumb gets cold, it begins to tingle, turns numb, and becomes extremely pale.  The only way I have found to relieve it is to run warm water over it until it gets warm, then the tingling and numbness disappear and the color returns to normal.  
I plan to eat more fruit and research Achenbach Syndrome.
Viewing 601-617 comments: