blood vessels popping in fingers
in the last two weeks i have had three blood vessels just pop in my fingers. i was not doing anything out of the ordinary. what could be causing this? should there be a cause for concern?
Popped a vessel in my finger yesterday while chopping onions turned the whole finger black and it swelled up, later that night went to the fridge for a drink and when i opened the door is when i went all dizzy couldnt see a thing and then i collapsed was knocked out cold for about ten minutes when i came round i stayed down for ages physically couldnt get up and everytime i tried to stand i hit the floor again i was sweating very bad and shaking it has happened me once before when i was pregnant with the same symptons... Im 39 always tired always cold but sweat a lot have a thin build and im 5"5 weighing 8 1/2 stone.. It was pretty scary to say the least.
This has happened to me a few times too ; probably not related to the ruptured capillary but could be low blood pressure. I notice most of us on this forum are female , slim or skinny , with low blood pressure.
Best get checked out by doc , though.
this just happened to me tonight ....again...ugh...low blood pressure, cold hands all my life and have been suffering with this since I was a teenager playing varsity volleyball - often quite bad.
I've had popping vessels since my 20's, noticing it during volleyball - ouch! It was every now and then until my 50's when it happened more often every time in contact with a hard object, then several times a week last year (now in my 60's) even when clapping my hands. Pain, swelling, purple/blue color.

I asked my teacher who is a physician and an osteopath - I was in a course with him - and could only think of two things that had changed.  One was that I had been taking less animal protein, and two - I'd been taking systemic enzymes for a few months just for preventative reasons.

Oddly, he said it probably was the enzymes - specifically the lipase - which can act like a steroid and break down the lipids in the vessels walls if you take too much. I stopped taking the enzymes, added animal protein back in (some red meat) and it stopped happening.  I became a vegetarian in my 20's, so the connection may be more diet than age.

When not taking the enzymes and a vessel ruptures, it has also helped just to add more red meat, which also helps stabilize the joints via connective tissue I suppose - ligaments don't seem so lax.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

asure
Thank you for coming on and saying so. I want to be keep informed please take my email address. ***@****.  My doctor did not even address the complaint after reporting this.  I have low blood pressure, have had all my life and was recently put on thyroid meds'. Which I have not seen the results from yet (2 months now).  I eat well and stay physically fit for my age (63) .  Would appreciate hearing what you may find out. Thank You.
Many similar characteristics w others who post here, both the positive (low BP, slim, active etc) and the problematic.   I am retired CNM and active still as nurse, v interested in Complimentary and Alt. Medicine incl homeopathy.
Asked for suggestions for   supplement at our local pharm where they carry wide variety of suppl. and was told to take RUTIN, which is a  citrus flavinoid glycoside.   I believe I take 500mg/day but ran out abt a week ago and can't recall.  What I can report is that my sx ( popped capillaries esp in fingers) had improved significantly after starting the supplement and returned within about 3-5days of running out of it.   Also have bruise on my arm that I know of no associated cause for.   I initially took the supplement without reading much at all but with the recurrence I have gotten curious and found this exchange site.  I realize now (!) there is a homeopathic remedy call "Ruta Graveolens".   Rutin in some sources thought to be more potent antiox than quercitin, but in other places this is reverse.  

In any case, for what it is worth, I wanted to post this and am grateful for the exchange though I may not get back to the site.  
What a relief to find someone who has had the same experience. I have just left hospital after a pulmonary embolism, and tried to tell the doctors about the popping veins, but they didn't listen. Apart from taking hormone replacement therapy I had no other risk factors, I'm 57, 61 kilos (I'm english and living in france) and more or less vegan for the past 6 months.
You have just described me!  I am vegan, healthy, fairly sporty, very low blood pressure.  Have quite extensive medical knowledge and have never come across this before.  I had a vein pop in my ring finger yesterday and I have lost the feeling in the tip of the same finger.  Puzzled.  I do get cold hands but don't really think I have Reynauds.  Sasha
It's started happening to me too. Happy to find this page as I was worrying a bit. I'm 47, active, slim, tall.. work full time, busy life teaching. Nursing background before teaching, so know something can't be right for blood vessels to pop for nothing! Also have low blood pressure. Take HRT as had Endometrial cancer at 29.. no recurrence. Not something I'd bother making appointment at GP for usually just get on with things... but will go and mention it and post back with result. I do get tired and probably tend to push through this rather than resting... always lots to do, see, experience!
Hi, I've just found this forum and wanted to add my experience.  I'm 43, female, normal weight, average height, a vegetarian since my teens and generally healthy.  I do however have an underactive thyroid, have hypermobile joints (fingers, hips and shoulders) and polycystic kidneys (which I was diagnosed with 22 years ago but have no need for medication).  I have been having episodes of popping veins for a few years now, both in my fingers and toes and before finding this site only knew of one other person who had similar symptoms.  I mentioned it to my doctor in passing who said he didn't have a clue what it was and when I jokingly said it would give him something to research, he laughed and said "I don't think so", which didn't help me feeling like a freak.  Anyway, I don't have to be physically doing anything to feel the stinging and throbbing, a massive pressure and eventually the pain of it popping and eventually bruising.  After the bruising, although it feels tender, it generally isn't painful anymore and the bruising does subside after a day or two.  Although I do feel the cold I don't think I suffer with bad circulation.  It even happened whilst holidaying in the South of France where it was scorching hot.  I was walking down a medieval street when I felt the sensation in my big toe.  It got to the stage where I couldn't even walk and had to sit on the pavement in agony whilst the pain disappeared.  Obviously the look on my face must've given away the pain I was in as several people crowded around to see if I was OK.  Anyway, last night I was speaking to another friend who also suffered from Polycystic Kidney Disease but has since had a transplant, but who also mentioned that she suffered the same "popping".  We wondered whether it could have anything to do with the disease, which incidently can also cause brain aneurisms!  Any further insight would be very interest to hear. So sorry for the long-winded wibble!.
i wasnt too concerned while this was happening in my fingers and hands and wrists, but lately my calves are bruised and i dont have varicose veins, ans my blood clotting is totally normal.... the worst pain i have ever had, cant stand or walk because calf is so very sore, about 15 bruised spots scattered all over
Up your vitamin C fruits to an over the top level. I've been ok for over a year now except yesterday when I had a bruise appear on the sole of my foot and behind my big toe. It was soooo painful. I've been through a colossally stressful period just lately and I'm sure it's to do with vitamin c levels that go down due to stress. 2 years ago veins kept popping and my oh my, did the areas look bad!!!  Then I upped my fruit I have for breakfast -- mainly berries -- to an expensive level but hey - no more bruising. I honestly swear by mega vitamin C, not in tablets but in fruit. Plus veges everyday with your dinner, like Kale and Spinach. Try it and see?......
Im also glad I found this post. I also am 62, slim, very healthy, low blood pressure all my life. I wondered if it was because I have a glass of red wine everynight so thought I'd switch to white wine but.... who knows. It is always the inside of my finger joints and recently was trying on a pair of shoes and my foot vein burst. I thought there was a spider in the shoe that had bitten me LOL.  I'm not too worried about it as, overall, I have enjoyed brilliant health all my life and, no, it is not related to cold hands, at least for me.  thanks for this great thread.
That happened to me. I thought it was a bite or maybe a bit of tiny metal going into my finger. Then finger went blue. Have been to doctors who didn't have a clue. Just living with it at the moment. Am very healthy otherwise.
Thanks everyone.  This describes me to a T.  Thin, 70, mainly vegetarian, active, not stressed, good circulation all my life.  Achenbach's definitely fits the bill - collagen disorder makes sense to me.   I don't take  meds and live a healthy life eating crunchy foods, but will definitely go for Real Vit C in mega doses, grapeseed extract, berries, kale and spinach, and will have a fat steak once a week from now on.  YUM.

Sallymc
So glad I found this forum.  I am 77, not slim (a little overweight), had an ablation 18 months ago for A-fib. take Pradaxa, a blood thinner, physically active, low BP whole life.  Hands and feet usually feel cold to others.  Had occasional popping with stinging in ring finger right hand in past 20 years, but this last month twice in same finger, once in left thumb, and tonight left hand pad opposite thumb pad.  For a week or so after initial popping of vessel, whenever finger or thumb gets cold, it begins to tingle, turns numb, and becomes extremely pale.  The only way I have found to relieve it is to run warm water over it until it gets warm, then the tingling and numbness disappear and the color returns to normal.  
I plan to eat more fruit and research Achenbach Syndrome.
I think you are all correct! It's been happening to me for a few years and I'm a 51 year old healthy woman who doesn't smoke, drink, and has normal blood pressure, etc.  I take 81mg baby aspiring everyday though for a condition where I clot easier than most people (Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome).  

I found out I had it when I was trying to get pregnant. It IS hereditary and my Dad had the same syndrome. He used to cut himself and heal freaky fast!

I have noticed that too much caffeine (diet coke!) and sugar makes it worse for me.

Just a note - A few people had mentioned liver function. I had jaundice when I was a baby so my liver has always been a bit on the slow metabolic side.

It's not pleasant, but not dangerous. Ah - add this to the joys of getting older! (Sarcasm intended!)
Yippee..I am not alone!!  Here is what I recently sent to a website on blood clots hoping to find answers...they couldnt help me so I kept looking until I found this site!!

Here is my personal H&P:
1.       Female
2.       Age 51 (03/08/1963)
3.       Healthy all of my life….never been in the hospital except to have my tonsils removed in 1969 and then to have my two sons in 2003 and 2006.
4.       On birth control pill from 1988 – 2002 and then on a low estrogen pill from 2006 – 2012.  Stopped having menstrual cycles as soon as I stopped taking the low estrogen pill in April 2012.
5.       5’4 112 pounds (same size that I have been since I was 15 years old except for my two pregnancies).
6.       Had 3 miscarriages between my two son’s births.  All 3 were apparent fertilized eggs that didn’t grow, so I never got past the early stages with those pregnancies.  I took progesterone for a two months prior to conceiving my second son and had no issues during the pregnancy.  Both boys are normal healthy (smart, handsome, and athletic) little boys.
7.       I am very active…I surf, skateboard (I wear a helmet and all of the protective gear ), ride a bike, run, snow ski, roller blade, work out at the gym, etc….when I am not playing mom to my sons.

My symptoms are:
1.       For a long time….perhaps as long as I have been on the birth control (1988) and perhaps that is coincidental I have been getting blood clots in my fingers.  From this early time and up until about 3 years ago it only happened once or twice a year and it was a very small clot.  I assume this since it was usually just a little burning sensation in the finger joint as it broke and a little bruise….hardly noticeable.
2.       But in the recent years I get blood clots in my fingers many times during the year.  Sometimes I get several in a short period of time ( days apart or a week or two apart) and sometimes I don’t get any for months.  The ones I get now are much bigger. Sometimes I think my finger feels like it is going to explode as the pressure builds up.  Or one time I got a large marble size lump in the palm of my hand that I massaged until it dissolved.  I also massage the finger when I feel a large one moving into them.   Sometimes I just look at my finger and see a large bruise….though they never are tender to the touch and they dissolve quickly compared to bruises I get when I bang into something.
3.       I have other symptoms that are most likely related to menopause…thirsty at night, hot flashes on my chest (though they are less now and I don’t wake up with the sweats at 2am anymore), dizzy if I squat down and come up (I started taking Iron tablets two months ago and this seems to better too).

Everything else is normal….my sleep is fine as it can be for a mother ( I no longer sleep “dead to the world” since my first son was born but I get about 8-10 hours/night), my eating is healthy, I don’t drink or smoke or take drugs (recreational or prescription), I take daily vitamins, and my bowels are normal.  No one else in my biological family has this issue and I have no known family history of blood problems. My ethnicity is half Greek and half Jewish….
Dizzy if you stand up too suddenly ? Sounds like low blood pressure , common to a lot of us.
In Europe they medicate for low blood pressure but in England it just counts as "good".
I don't know what the link can be...
I have had the popping in my fingers for one year.  I'm female, 34, white, slim,  perfectly healthy according to the analysis, no smoking or alcohol. In my fingers, a vein pops and bruising comes on fast, but is gone in a few hours. But with my feet is not that easy, because I cannot even walk, wear shoes etc. I have photographed most of these bruises, but doctors don't know what it is. First they suspected it was Vasculitis, but analysis didn't indicate that.
Wow...I can't believe how many of us there are. Many of your stories are the same as mine; and I get the popping vessels in my hands (mostly finger joints but palms too) and feet (ball of my foot or under toe joints).  There are so many similarities if you read all of the posts...I too am on thyroid meds, auto-immune Hashimoto's Disease, Gluten/dairy intolerant, low blood pressure, cold hands/feet (part of the thyroid issue), don't eat a lot of red meat (maybe I should be?), and currently have one vein in my baby finger joint about to pop...it's been swollen out now for two days and very painful...and I know when it breaks it will hurt just as bad.  Bruising usually lasts 2-3 days or so when I have one of these burst.  Would love to finally figure out if this is actually diet related as I have been gluten/dairy free for 3 yrs or so, and on thyroid meds for 15 yrs so my weight/digestion system is slower than the average, was on HRT but not anymore.  Age 57, female, consider myself in good health all things considered and just have these annoying little quirks.  I worry about the clotting issue though and would like to find out once and for all if I am doing something to cause this.
I came across this site last night because the same thing has been happening to me now for about 2-3 years.  I'm 55 and have been healthy all my life.  Always active and exercised through the years, mostly yoga these days.  I don't smoke, I eat healthy foods but do like sweets.  My hands and feet (nose too) will get cold more often than most people.  My job has been more stressful then ever the last few years (that's why I like yoga!).  I have low blood pressure and I'm at a healthy weight.  It started in my fingers.  Doing seemly nothing at the time, the blood vessel in on my left ring finger spontaneously broke and felt like a bee sting and hurt really bad.  I put ice on it and it bruised.  Then standing outside watering my plants, the blood vessel in my right foot broke.  It really hurt and I could not even walk on it when it first happened.  I put ice on it and the next morning it was black and blue.  I took pictures of it and sent them to my Doctor at Kaiser.  They had me come in and asked lots of questions, but really did not give me any reason as to why it may have happened.  Months later the same thing happened to my left foot while standing at home.  I took pictures again and again talked to my Doctor.  She talked to a specialist and they said  "not to worry, it was common".  I'm not sure I like the answer, because my Dad had a couple strokes and died from complications from a stroke and my Mom has varicose veins.  I wonder if this has more to do with stress (not when stress is high but when it has subsided and I'm more relaxed)? I guess I can handle the veins spontaneously popping in my hands and feet as long as it stops there.  
Wow, after reading your post, I can relate! I am a 59 yr old female who has always been in excellent shape.....hot yoga 4 times a week... Then went to PT after a terrible fall where I work out 3-4 times per week for 2-1/2 hours each day. The physicians in this group actually saw this event happen while I was there and have no clue as to why or what it is.

I have low blood pressure and have had fibromyalgia since 2000.  I eat very healthy with a diet of dark greens, organic chicken and seafood and fruit because I have to. At PT I was told by a sports medicine doctor that I can hyperextend various body parts, which in older years can lead to many physical problems if involved in an accident.  I'm living proof.  

This year I experienced the bee sting everyone is talking about, followed by excruciating pain on both fingers and toes...followed by dark bruising!  When it happens, you can actually see the purple vein form under the skin.  It's so painful that I sometimes have screamed and cried. There has to be a reason for this.  The physicians in this medical group have no clue what is wrong or why. After my accident, another group of physicians shot me up with enormous amounts of cortisone which in turn caused severe purpura due to thinning of the skin.  Then I had injections of euflexa.  I went to an oncologist who ran tests, and said I had no blood problems. Having been a medical consultant for 18 years, I just can't believe there isn't a name for this condition!   Should we ask Dr. Oz,! ?  Lol
Hi, just discovered this tonight. I swam thisevening as usual and the lowest joint of my middle finger suddenly swelled up and turned blue (in the space of 1 lap). There was no trauma. The swelling subsided somewhat after about 40 minutes. But it is still swollen now (3 hours later) and quite blue. This is a first for me. I'm a 47 year old female. I take baby Asprin sporadically. Strange.
Hi All. I'm 39, slim, 5' 4" with low blood pressure and have had this popping and bruising on my fingers several times in the last few years.

This morning my thumb turned purple/black and was full of pins and needles, I had been feeling shaky and nauseous too so I took myself to the doctor and (forgetting and failing to mention past finger popping incidents) he therefore decided it was an infection due to a thorn puncture I had last week. So I've been prescribed anti inflamatories (naproxen) and Doxycycline antibiotic. I think I've been wrongly diagnosed!

I also suffer from swollen achy  fingers, lower back pain, achy knees and psoriasis. So i've been looking into arthritis and lupus too. But hopefully its just middle age creeping up on me.....
Yes,  I just had mine happen today.   I never hit it on anything.  But I called my health nurse and she said to wrap a Band-Aid around it pretty tight and that would stop the seeping of blood.   I think mine is caused from Blood thinners.  That is the first time I have ever had that to happen.
I get them on my feet, legs, fingers and stomach. I called my cardiologist because I was simply putting a quart of oil in my car and the vessels broke in two fingers and then the skin over on of them opened and blood was gushing all over. I put pressure on it and it finally quit. My cardiologist wants me in his office this Friday, says we will discuss it then.
Ok after reading all of these posts I am nervous - worried - and a little scared. I put things off and say they are no big deal. Two weeks ago I picked something up and a blood vessel popped on my ring finger and was black and blue within an hour and hurt instantly. And I have a very high pain threshold. Just now I went to open the refrigerator and just pulling the door open my middle finger had one pop. 8 years ago I had a stroke and they found the reason was an AVM -arteriovenous malformation - two veins were pooling into one spot and I could have had an aneurysm if I hadn't had the stroke. So I proceeded to have brain surgery. If I have weak veins that is very scary. This just started. I didn't think it was a big deal. Is it? Should I ask a doctor about this??
Happened to me the first ever. Am in best of health. Bleeding is internal in the finger and bruised. No anwer as yet.
Hi All -  I just wanted to add my experience.  While preparing dinner for the family (including wife and five kids) while just walking across the kitchen, all of a sudden, the shot of burning pain.  I immediately knew what it was.  It has happened sporadically since I was a teenager.  I would say it happens once or twice a year.  Always seems to just come, all of a suddenly, while not doing anything in particular.  I am 68 year old male.  My mother would get them on rare occasions.  It was just called for what it was...we just popped a blood vessel.  It hurt.  If cold water is handy I apply it.  After a little while it will get itchy.  It goes from the initial blue to black and blue with a little purple.  Within a day or so it is all gone.  The pain is basically gone within the hour.  The black and blue is gone in a day or two.  The only reason I am posting on here is because when it happened tonight, and I went to apply running cold water, while quietly muttering "wow, that hurts".  My wife and kids asked what was the problem.  When I told them that I just popped a blood vessel they all thought I was crazy and none of them had ever heard of it!!  So I came to google it.  I never gave it a thought that my wife and kids had never been around when it has happened.  I don't have low blood pressure.  I am very slightly overweight...5-11 at 185 pounds.  As I said initially, I have had this happen since I was a teenager.  I never gave a thought until tonight with the family's reaction.  I have never mentioned it to my doctor and probably won't in the future.  I have had occasional health issues but nothing consistent with problems that people here seem to post.  I think I just wanted to throw in my two cents worth that it really doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.  I am 68 and reasonably healthy with just a little cholesterol and some grief from fibromyalgia.  Popping a blood vessel just seems to be an occasional thing!!
I have had problems with the inside of my hands turning a blue motley colour,sometimes pink it's there 99% of the time  looks like I have had my hands in dye, then 2 years ago started getting blood blisters doing the lightest of tasks. Sweeping up! gardening, even to ripping up paper, not just on fingers also the palms below the thumb joint  is  were it happens quite often, any type of friction and it just pops. My doctors seem baffled by this. Blood tests have come back normal. I'm 49, drink on very rare occasions. And a smoker.
I'm so glad I have found this website. I thought I was the only 1
Does anyone else notice that the popped vein occurs before an onset of joint pain in the same area?  This has been happening for years and it's so painful and upsetting.
I am 63 and I also have experienced the painful blood vessel bursting in my finger.  I have also questioned my MD and she could not give me an answer. I have had tests done for different symptoms and was told I was normal and healthy each time.  This all started when I was in my 40's.

I am not a doctor.  What I have noticed in my case over the years is when my spine is out-of-line I experience many different symptoms, one of which is the painful black and blue bursting of a blood vessel, knee pain, all-over body ache, light headed, nausea, headaches, etc. Can't explain it and don't know if this is a coincidence.  I visit my chiropractor, she adjusts my spine and I'm good.  This can happen to men and women.  As we age our spine can compress vital nerves and vessels.  Child birth as well as stress, weight gain or loss and other activities can cause your spine to be off balance and cause many symptoms that cannot be diagnosed.  
I'm hoping this will be helpful to someone.    
i just came across your post about the bursting blood vessels...  i smoke, do not drink,do suck down lots of caffene in sodas also.  my hands and feet are always cold, not warm like yours and i have no problem eating.  did you ever find out what reallyyy actually causes this thing?
Hi thank you I thought I was the only one to have blood vessels popping in fingers and toes.I am 45 and have had this happen for about 2 years on and off.I am posting today as I get blood results tomorrow. My doctor has ordered all sorts of test as unsure why this is happening. I do have medical history of hypermobility causing dislocation of knees and thumb and I have a kidney problem.I will let you all know if any thing comes from my test results.
Google ACHENBACH'S SYNDROME !!!!!! You will see pictures and discussions and studies about it all over.   I am not a health care professional, but I love to do medical research.  These hematomas happen to me on my fingers and toes and my doctor told me he thought it was vasculitis.  Then I found all kinds of information about this syndrome and I really think that THIS is what I have. In fact, my guess would be that many docs have probably never even heard of Achenbach's syndrome (I had to tell my doc what I thought it was).  Here is a brief description of one study's abstract: "Achenbach's syndrome, also known as paroxysmal finger hematoma, is a rarely reported clinical disorder with recurring, sudden bruising of the volar part of a finger, appearing spontaneously or after minor trauma and resolving completely within days...and later the  CONCLUSION of the study: We stress the need for greater awareness among clinicians of the harmlessness of the condition in order to avoid misdiagnoses and dispensable diagnostic procedures."   I'm not saying that people here have this, but just wanted to pass along additional information for you to consider when speaking with your doctor.  
Suzy- I just posted this on the medhelp site but thought I'd send it to you personally since you were the last post.  If you have had no answers from your docs, please Google ACHENBACH'S SYNDROME !!!!!! You will see pictures and discussions and studies about it all over.   I am not a health care professional, but I love to do medical research.  These hematomas happen to me on my fingers and toes and my doctor told me he thought it was vasculitis.  Then I found all kinds of information about this syndrome and I really think that THIS is what I have. In fact, my guess would be that many docs have probably never even heard of Achenbach's syndrome (I had to tell my doc what I thought it was).  Here is a brief description of one study's abstract: "Achenbach's syndrome, also known as paroxysmal finger hematoma, is a rarely reported clinical disorder with recurring, sudden bruising of the volar part of a finger, appearing spontaneously or after minor trauma and resolving completely within days...and later the  CONCLUSION of the study: We stress the need for greater awareness among clinicians of the harmlessness of the condition in order to avoid misdiagnoses and dispensable diagnostic procedures."   I'm not saying that people here have this, but just wanted to pass along additional information for you to consider when speaking with your doctor.  
I have had broken blood vessels in my fingers and the bottoms of my feet infrequently for many years.  For some reason, I was having a lot of broken blood vessels in my fingers early in Oct. & Nov. (one every few days) I thought it was due to the unusually cold weather and my body not being used to it.  It starts with a cramp and then the finger starts to discolor.  This continues for many days and is extremely sensitive to cold. I had to turn up my heat several degrees in my home because my fingers would get so bitterly cold and I also had to constantly put them under warm water many times in the course of a day.  The discoloration could last as long as a week.  I have Raynaud's disease but haven't read about this particular issue.
It is frustrating and a bit scary.  I'm wondering about seeing a vascular specialist if such exists. I've seen rheumatologists but they haven't been much help.
I too have this seemingly common problem, it's usually my left hand, I'm right handed, mine stay swollen for weeks with a hard blue vein lump, my finger feels swollen and right, painfully to bend, when the do pop it's like a big purple bruise instead of the blue vein swelling, I'm 46 healthy, on her, had these for 6 + years now
Sounds like what I got. They say that Achenback Syndrome clears up in one or two weeks. I have had this for about three months. Otherwise am in good health. Haven't found the answer even though I went to the doctor. Don't know if individual doctors have the anwers anymore.
i have this a lot my doctor sent me from his office straight to hospital i was taken in to vascular dept straight away wired up to machine i see coukld see all my veins on the screen, they give me a blood thinner incase it caused a clot, but the vascular came back clear.
Hello, I have looked at all the information from the past seven years, and found the common denominator , Low blood pressure ! I have seen my doctor today, suffering from light headiness when rising from sitting position ,had high blood pressure for years , but through medication blood pressure now very low ! had the same problem as most of you! I do suffer from fibromyalghia , but, this is defiantly to do with low blood pressure! Same painful sting in finger then left with a bruise ,had two in four days!
Me thinks I have lost all faith in doctors now, seems they are just the go between of seeing the 'specialist' who seems to know even less, and leaves you with a blank stare, adding ,'Make  an appointment to see me in three months to see if there is any change!')
This is my first post, and I'm like most of you:  62 year-old female, 5'1", 112 lbs. had thyroid cancer and a complete thyroidectomy.  One symptom I've noticed that began shortly after I started having the popped blood vessels in my hands 4-5 years ago is that if I am even a tiny bit cold, when I get in the warm shower, it is very painful on my hands.  It feels like my hands are getting 3rd degree burns.  I am also on low-level estradiol to help control cyclical migraines.  I do not think I have Reynaud's Syndrome, as I do not notice my hands turning white when they are cold.  My blood pressure is very slightly low, but when I was younger it was around 80/60 for many years.  Last week I leaned slightly on one hand.  Now the whole palm is painful and bruised.
Did you get nose bleeds all the time when you were young? if so you should look into the possibility that you have HHT. Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia.
Popped a vein like others here first in my right thumb a few months ago. Short sharp burst of pain, like some kind of insect bite (none around), then blue swelling, dark bruising and it ached. Slight numbness, loss of flexibility. Not even doing anything strenuous, just picking up a pan on the stove (not even a heavy pan). At first thought I'd burned it, then the swelling and bruising started. Swelling lasted only a few hours but the bruising lasted days. My thumb looked like it had been slammed in a door or something, but after the initial pain faded it no longer hurt at all.

I'm 50, female, not overweight but not in great shape either. Not vegetarian, get lots of Vitamin C (tho Vitamin D might be lacking again after the winter -- I live north.) No smoking, drink occasionally (1 or 2 a month), drink coffee, menopausal.

So today I had another one go in my left foot, beneath the middle toe. Ache, snap feeling like a bite or a very sharp cramp and then swelling, bruising and loss of flex. I was just sitting. Doing absolutely nothing. No bugs, nothing around (tho my feet were bare). Base of my toe is now purple and tender and hurts to walk on but I'm sure by tomorrow it will be fine. Weird happenings, but glad (I guess) to find I'm not alone. Seems odd, yet sort of benign, at least so far. Hurts like heck for a short time anyway, but then fades.
Funny. I got mine whilst I was holding the pan cooking something?
I've also experienced vessels popping In my fingers and even a toe. Feels like a bee sting then turns blue (then purple after two days). is swollen , stinging, stiff and painful right away.I know there is a name for this, I found it years ago but now can't recall. I popped a vessel in my finger two days ago while I sat, doing nothing but waiting for a smoothie I had ordered with my daughter. I am 44, slim, blood pressure is controlled with meds, cholesterol may be a bit elevated,  i do not have Reynaldo's syndrome, I am tired a lot though and seem to always be wanting in the energy department, I have recently begun taking fish oil again but haven't always. This has gone on for several years. Seems that the medical community hasn't caught on to this as a condition yet.
It's interesting, isn't it? A condition that so many of us have (including myself, a 39 years old female), while the medical literature says it is extremely uncommon and no GP has ever seen it before (I have shown mine to a GP and they said they had never seen it before). As for most, I guess, bruising starts spontaneously or when handling an object (e.g., turn a screwdriver), is restricted to the inside of the hand and mostly occurs in one of the fingers, but not the thumb. No sign of prolonged bleeding or easy bruising elsewhere than the hand.
Me too.
Slim, profuse sweating, smoking, endometriosis in youth.
By age 40, Hysterectomy, low BP, spontaneous bloody nose, raynauds fingers, quit smoking.  Started HRT early and gain weight, up to 130.
I'm 68 and raynauds is just escalating into multiple vein pops in index finger and it scared me into finding this site.
My medication is estrogen patch, Lipitor, and BP control amlodipine and lisinopril ..all in low dose.  I drink, nightly glassES of white wine, am active, have had dog(s) since 20, no kids, never pregnant.
What is in the back of my mind is that this symptom is predominately a woman's complaint and there is no one looking into it.  Yet here we are looking for answers.  
God help us.
This happens to me. I had it a lot a few years ago, then it stopped. Now, out of nowhere, it's just started up again. Usually around the DIP joint on an index or middle finger. If I am quick enough when I feel the tingle, I can raise my hand above my head and sometimes stop the burst from happening. Currently my right index finger is blue, and it hurts quite a bit.

41, trans woman, otherwise fit and healthy.
I find this interesting.  I too have the broken blood vessels in hands and feet.  I am 57, but this has been an issue my whole life.  I am thin,  low  blood pressure and have cold hands and feet.  Occasionally Reynauds.
I came here to see if anyone could confirm my suspicion. I think there is a hormonal link. When I started using progesterone cream,  if became MUCH worse.  Started happening everyday,  they were bigger and darker. Stopped using the cream and it returned to my normal amount. now, a couple years later, I've tried Clary Sage essential oils for hormonal relief.... guess what's happening again?  Hmmmmm so I am thinking this is estrogen and progesterone related.
I didn't read all of these comments,  but the ones I read were NOT men. maybe I am on to something here.  
My mother has same issue.
I have been getting the popped blood vessels in my hands since I was 18 and I am now 37.  Healthy female, low blood pressure.  And again, no doctor has been able to answer anything about this.  My question is if we just have weak blood vessels in our hands does this mean our vessels are weak in other parts of our bodies?  Also, is there anything we can do to strengthen our blood vessels?  I read one thing about a year ago from a eastern doctor saying to take collagen to improve blood vessels.  I think I have been getting them less since taking the collagen but it still happens from time to time.  I'd just like to know if this is a sign for something else maybe being a concern  later on?  Thanks for the info
Hi -stumbled across this thread. I have been having this since puberty and i am now 43. it is only ever in my fingers - usually index and middle. it starts with a sharp itch, similar to a bite, then starts to swell and burn; it feels as if my finger is going to pop open and i massage it to relieve the pain. It goes through some fairly spectacular colour changes and lasts for 3-4 days. I have had 2 in the last 5 days - seems to be related to carrying something heavy for me. At the moment i can't bend the finger nor grip anything and it's painful to touch - just like a bruise. I agree with the heat part helping healing and notice after a bath or shower, it's considerably better. None else in my family has had this. However, being a bit of a workaholic, I have a poor, inconsistent diet, so this probably doesn't help. I take aloe vera daily for arthritis, but maybe I'll try Vit K too. I also bruise easily and take a while to heal. Maybe we'll have an answer one day :)
Good to know I'm not alone or some kind of freak.  I am 53 yr old, white, female, low blood pressure all my life and have had problems with popping blood vessels in my hands & feet since I was in my early 20's.  I've been slim & overweight and had this happen.  Some times my fingers hurt and I know the pop will happen if I do anything with my hands.  I have Raynaud's Syndrome & for years have though I've thought I have autoimmune stuff (painful joints, periods of exhaustion, brain fog, tremors) going on but tests all come back negative
I am absolutely dumfounded right now! I have noticed these pops and pains with bruising after being unusually stressed the past few months, and more recently, feel that it accompanied a mild panic attack. I am 34, in very good  health and fitness, but have put on a considerable amount of weight in the past 6 months due to poor eating habits and stress. The worst coping with stress in my entire life. Emotional issues aside, I have noticed these blue veins with pain on my pointer fingers only, both sides, next to top or middle joints. Cold water is a good immediate care option, as I noticed many people noticed, but I still am worried about them happening in the first place. I feel as if my poor habits have created a lack or abundance of something in my body that is contributing to these pops. Or my poor coping with stress combined with poor diet has caused my body to just all around hate me. Both probably true. In any case, I'm glad to know I'm not completely crazy, and that these pops are something at happen to other people. Hopefully I will not need to see a medical professional, but will definitely be paying closer attention to my body's needs. I haven't noticed many people associating emotional distress with these. Does anyone else think that might be a cause?
Hi there, another sufferer from this "rare" ha ha complaint here (UK). I suspect its so rarely seen by doctors because it comes and goes so quickly with no after effects and no escalation to something worse.
I am
female, age 62, a bit heavy but "disappointingly healthy" (my nice GP's words!) reasonable diet, very active (gardener and dog walker). No one else in my family has ever had the same thing.
First time it happened I was 19, I got one or two a year till perimenopause when it went up to about five or six a year. mainly fingers, sometimes toes. Frequency reduced gradually as I passed menopause itself.
Like many others have said, doctors don't seem to have seen it before or know about it, I found the reference to Achenbach's myself on the net. Its not a diagnosis though, just someone has formally described a group of symptoms and named the group.
My own personal quirk is that sometimes I get the hot itchy bee sting sensation and the black/blue swelling but its months or weeks before the swelling dissipates into bruising. Its rare for this to happen but when it does its a nuisance. I am currently dealing with one like this on my instep (first one there). Its so painful that walking is limited so I hope it dissipates soon.
Well, I had to joint this site just to add - I am another! And from what I have read very, very typical - Number 1. Low blood pressure, Number 2. Not overweight (some would say thin, I think I'm fine), Number 3. Fairly fit and active. Still I have these strangely popping veins in my toes and fingers, usually after a very slight activity - today it was opening a tin of paint. Definitely a subject for research if there are any medical students out there! Although painful and unsightly, my main concern is that this may be a sign of something worse - like leukemia. Having some blood tests this week.
I think you are completely right!!  As many of us here, I am healthy, slim and I eat a lot of veggies fruit and fish, I eat red meat once a week.  My blood pressure is between low and normal.  But yesterday, before my vein in my ring finger popped I had a suddenly black vision when rising from sitting position that surprised me.  
I am one more of the club.  I am 42, slim and healthy, I swim one hour four times per week.  I eat a lot of veggies, fruit, fish and read meat once per week.  Blood pressure between low and normal.  The vein in the inside of my finger ring just pop.  The same as many of us, was painful like a bee sting.  and I could see a purple lump.  After 30 minutes I have a bruise bigger than a 1 cm in my finger.  My worry is that this could happen in other parts of the body.  it is nice to know that I am not the only one with this.  It is just seems, that nobody has paid attention to this.   For what I read it seems that it has something to do with low pressure and maybe hormones.  This is very interesting.
40 YO female.....like most I felt the stinging and pain and then the redness and tenderness occurred. This is the second time this has ever happened. The first time was about 10 years ago. I'm healthy.  Good BP. I take boxing 2-3 times a week. And I'm vegetarian. Being VEG seems to be what a lot if us have in common. Hmmmmm seems like a lack of something to me. I will find out. I do not like to take any medicine.  If I can find out more info, I will come back and post. Take care all. H
What I've found so far....still looking

http://www.askanaturopath.com/faqs/broken-capillaries/p/464
Add me to this list:  41 years old, thin, fairly fit, no meds, low-ish blood pressure, get dizzy upon standing (all my life), GF diet due to blood tested intolerance,  my veins do protrude a bit when tired or hot in hands, arms and legs and I have 3 kids (5, 8, 10).  I was washing dishes and felt a pop in my left index finger and when I looked the vein was bulging from my finger down my hand into my palm. There was a blue vein bubble "thing"  in the first joint, it swelled right away and then went down fairly quickly (one hour) and I am left with a bruise and stiffness. Have to say I paniced and called my Doc. The nurse had never heard of it but just said to ice it and keep an eye on it. Worried it will happend again or there is an underlying cause :-(  
I just want to add one more to the list! Found this last time it happened (a couple of months ago?), but it happened again today, and with a bigger swelling than ever before. Probably because I've been on ibuprofen for 10 days now, after a small surgery. Doing the dishes is often when it happens, but it can be opening jars as well. I'm 42, slightly overweight, try to eat healthily and exercise, but I know I'm not great. I've had this for years now (cannot remember when it started), but I have the impression it's becoming more frequent.
I had a finger joint vein pop last night, light lifting, painful then swelling and blue bruised the next day... weird... I'm male 50 and fit... veggie too...
I'm a 37/f, on and off again vegan/vegetarian and have low blood pressure. Last night I noticed some veins on the inside of my left ring finger looked very dark. I got scared and took a closer look and noticed that a lot of the veins on the inside of my hands looked dark. Not bulging, just dark. My ring finger is still a bit achey today, but nothing has popped yet. A few months ago, I had my first popped finger vessel while cooking dinner. I hit my finger on the stove and it started stinging bad. I ran it under cold water and took my wedding ring off just in time because it immediately started swelling and then bruised very quickly. The bruise went away after a few days. I never had anything like that happen before so it really freaked me out at the time. I'm not sure if my current symptoms are an indication of another incidence on the horizon. I am currently incorporating meat into my diet because everytime anything health related happens to me I'm scolded and told, "It's because you don't eat meat!" I also get cold easily, especially my hands, and I have some mild leaky heart valves. I've been super stressed lately.
This just happened to me for the first time today and I found this site. I am slender, female , 62.
I have psoriatic arthritis and follow the blood type diet which has improved it immensely and so I am on no medications. Blood pressure is normal whenever I have had it tested. I was , also, diagnosed with Raynauds years ago, but the symptoms disappeared with the blood type diet. The cold hands disappeared then, too.

Raynauds , psoriasis, fibromyalgia  are all under the arthritis umbrella and are considered autoimmune problems.

So why this one time finger popping thing? The only thing I did differently today was eat (deliberately) a lot of things with iodine in them, Himalayan pink sea salt, 2 soft boiled eggs and cranberries.
Don't know if that's why but I will monitor it. I, also, have cysts n hands and inside elbow. I was increasing iodine to see if it would help them clear.
Alright, folks. Lets diagnose ourselves by finding out what we all have in common. It doesn't seem like this vessel popping has to do with age (I'm 27) as the age ranges of everyone who has commented varies greatly. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with sex (I'm female) as there are a fair number of men and women. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with medication as there are some people who are on meds and others who are not. I have two questions. Number 1: do any of you have low blood pressure or lowish blood pressure? I've read a few comments where people stated that they have low blood pressure and I, myself, have always been at the very lowest end of the normal range. I actually had a doctor ask me if I was sleeping one time. Number 2: do any of you have iron deficiencies or some other red meat related deficiency? It seems like a lot of people on here are vegetarians, and while I'm not a vegetarian, I don't eat nearly as much red meat as I should. My counts are always kind of off. Any thoughts?
I am not vegetarian but don't eat much meat. I do have low-ish blood pressure. My Mom had varicose veins and I am thin so mine are visible and bother me in the heat with swelling and feeling uncomfortable. I did finally go to my doctor a week after my finger popped and she came to the conclusion she thinks it is achenbach syndrome - I was told when I called back a few days later.

I didn't go solely b/c of the finer thing but because my veins on the same arm were swelling and my arm felt numb and tingly. I had taken a photo of my finger and showed it to her since it was gone by the time I went in. She had clearly never seen or heard of it before. No problems since though! Hopefully never again since it is disturbing. Good luck everyone.  
I have the same symptoms/results as you do. It only happens in my fingers or toes and it can be any time of year. I 'm glad to have come across your post. I will look into Raynaud's disease. I have experienced this within the past 2-3 years. It only happens occasionally. I had changed my eating habit and have been eating vegetarian for the past 3 weeks but then had my blood vessel pop again.
I'm curious.....does anyone else take a birth control pill or other birth control method? I had stopped taking it for about a year and had no problems with blood vessels but then was put back on it and now I have the problem again.
Thanks to advise,
Jen
I asked my Dr. if it was associated with Raynaud's, which I do have, and she said no.
I just had this happen to me the first time today. I am a pescaterian and have has issues with lightheadedness for years that they have ve never been able to diagnose. I also have lowish blood pressure. I am not on any medications, but I do take quite a few vitamins. Has anyone gotten a diagnosis?
My doctor has been referring to it as a phenomena...
Look up Achenbach's Syndrome ☺
I'm 47, slim (163 cm and 50kg) and have low blood pressure. I'm active and have no diseases or medical conditions. I've had this popping and bruising on my fingers and toes in the past 5-7 years. I don't know what causes it, but I wanted to share with you what solves it for me:

I live in scandinavia and suffer from dry skin in the winter. A couple of years ago, I started eating olive oil (a friend's recommendation to remedy dry skin). I eat one tblspoon every morning and one every evening and the oil does wonders for my skin. BUT what I've also noticed is that when I eat my olive oil regularly, the popping of vessels disappears! If I skip/forget the oil a week or two, the popping of vessels comes back.

The oil I eat is ecological, cold-pressed, unfiltered virgin olive oil and it's rather expensive, but I haven't bothered testing a cheaper version. It would probably work equally well if you add it to your food, but I'm a scientist and like to measure and record varaibles ;-)

Let me know if this helps you!
My finger popped three months ago and I have olive oil on my toast every morning?
Thanks to you all for this site. I live in the Rheingau, Germany and had my first episode of this phenomenon yesterday as I sat in the sun at an outdoor cafe with a friend - doing absolutely nothing! I noticed pain in my left ring finger, looked down, and the joint closest to my hand was swelling. I literally watched it swell, then ouch! Sharp pain, the swelling halted and the blue color began to spread. Only a half hour ago did my finger turn cold and begin to go numb.
Because I have to pick my partner up from the hospital today following foot surgery, and have my own appoint with the surgeon following my sinus surgery 2 weeks ago, you have saved me a long wait at my general practitioner's office - time I don't have. I'll be heading to the Reformhaus (health food store) for olive oil in a moment instead.
I too am slim and active with low cholesterol and blood pressure. I eat very little animal protein - 63 years old with slightly low thyroid for which I take 100mcg of synthroid daily. That's it.
Rosalind
Hi there, I recently had burst blood vessels in my finger, as described by many people in this thread. Having just read accounts on another website I thought it worth mentioning here that I regularly juice root ginger and turmeric root and potentially these can affect the blood. I therefore wondered whether other people who have posted here also take ginger and/or turmeric supplements. Here's a link to the post that highlighted this possible connection. http://www.****************.***/read.php?9,205251
I have had about three incidents of the blue bubble bursting phenomena happen in a finger joint on the palm side just like everyone else in this thread. I'd say this was over the last 2 years...so not very frequent but scary and painful when it happens. Never seems like there was a cause from impact or stress. Just spontaneously happens and  last night i had one in my left pinkie and it is still purple this morning. I do indeed take turmeric supplements, I am indeed a vegetarian, I am female, I am 54 years old. I do have loose connective tissue and have had 5 shoulder dislocations. I do think this thread should be sent to Dr. Oz. I tend to think that undiagnosed conditions can often be environmental. So many of us have things in common -- it really should be studied.
hi there, i am 42, slim , suffer from low blood pressure - but not serious, do yoga and eat relatively healthy. A few months ago i had a burning sensation in my shin, very painful and i was shocked at how my blood vessel popped out, it made a huge bruise on my leg.  went to the GP and she recommended i go off the pill.  i have been off the pill for months now and today i had the same pain in my finger, with the swelling of my vein in my palm followed by bruising of my finger.  i do tend to have sore joint pain and sometimes go through dips of not have much energy other than that pretty healthy.  I noticed that quite a few people mentioned kidney and liver problems and a friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with Addisons disease wonder if I should be tested for this? or if its not related.  very frustrating that the doctors are unable to assist with this problem which seems to be quite common. Has anyone had any other feedback regarding this problem?
Might as well add my info too.  51 year old woman with lower normal blood pressure...sometimes in the clinically low range. I am thin and jog 30-60 min/day.  Cold hands frequently.  If ears get cold it's quite painful.  I have been vegan for 18 months and vegetarian all my life before that.  I take a vitamin supplement.  Someone mentioned spinal alignment being an issue and I did hurt my back a day before my last pop.  Someone else mentioned it happening while simply doing the dishes and that was me too.  (I'm wondering if I could use this as a good excuse to assign this task to other family members. lol). I've only had this happen twice this year.  I live in AZ and do have dry skin.  My skin is pretty translucent.  I had a sonogram of my breast about 15 years ago and was told my tissues were the most translucent the radiologist had ever seen.  I eat lots of fruits...probably not enough veggies.  Will do more olive oil.  It's a weird thing to have happen and worrisome that other vessel walls may be weak also.  Glad for this site and all the personal testimonies.  
I should also add that my normal body temp is 97.6. At 98.6 I'm feeling sick. That is the normal temp for most people.
This answers it and we can all relax. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22915534
The dexterity of the fingers helps many individual to function in different areas in life including at home, at work, in school and so on. When the function of the fingers is compromised, it can be disrupting for many because of the pain, the inflammation and the swelling that renders the hand immobile for a time. This is what happens when a popped blood vessel occurs in the finger.
Popped Blood Vessel in the Finger
Also known as paroxysmal finger hematoma or Achenbach’s syndrome.
This is a skin condition and not a cardiovascular condition.

This is a rare condition with very few reported incidences.
The condition is characterized by a spontaneous hemorrhage involving the hands especially the palm or the finger’s volar surface.
The onset is sudden or is a result of a minor injury.
The condition is also characterized by symptoms such as intense burning pain, localized swelling and inflammation, as well as localized bruising or hematoma.
The cause of the condition is unknown and is considered harmless medically.
How to Treat a Popped Blood Vessel in the Finger
Treatment is similar to those observed for the treatment of localized hematoma.

The condition often resolves on its own with conservative treatment.
Cold compress may be done initially to help relieve the burning pain felt on spontaneous hemorrhaging.
Warm compress can be applied to the affected hand or finger to aid in the absorption of pooled blood causing the hematoma.
Pain medications may be taken but caution needs to be observed especially with analgesics that can further cause bleeding. Medical consultation is recommended for the proper prescription of pain medications.
Avoid use of aspirin or any blood thinners to avoid further aggravating the hemorrhage. If consequently taking aspirin or any blood thinners for a certain medical condition, consultation with a physician is advised.
Avoid contact sports or activities that can pose a risk of injuring the hands or rupturing blood vessels in the finger.
Recurrence of hemorrhage or popping of the blood vessel in the finger is possible and care is needed to avoid further incidences.
Symptoms of a Popped Blood Vessel in the Finger
Onset of this condition is sudden or may follow after a minor injury.
Sudden onset of intense burning pain felt in the hand or finger.
Sudden localized swelling.
Sudden localized inflammation and redness of the hand or finger.
Bluish discoloration on the affected hand or finger.