blood vessels popping in fingers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 601-639 comments:
Hi, I too am mother of twins and am suffering from these stinging pops in my fingers. I am 38, overweight, smoker, no alcohol, varied diet with lots of caffeine. My blood pressure is low. The mention of the pian in your armpit is what prompted me to respon to your post in particular as this is also something that happens to me. Do you ever have a hard time with keeping food in, one way or another? I seem to struggle with that often. The one difference that I see here is that I have very warm hands that never get cold, people mention the heat of them not the cold. Still I am very relieved that this dose not seem to be a sign of an imminent stroke.
Yesterday I had a blood vessel burst in my left ring finger when opening a cabinet in my kitchen. I've had this happen 2-3 times on my toes and on my right thumb. Like many of you, it stings, swells, turns blue. I use helichrysum (everlast) therapeutic essential oil and the pain stops pretty quickly and bruise heals within a day. I have low blood pressure, exercise and eat healthy but my mother has varicose veins and my father's had a few strokes.

I will definitely up my Vit C intake and try grapeseed extract.
Glad to see that many others have been around a long time after the first occurance. I am 53 and hope to live several more decades.
I have had this occur off and on over the years..always being told that it is no big deal.  I am now seeing a naturopath who says it is from weakness in the connective tissue.  I am to ramp up eating dark foods, - - berries, dark vegies, anything high in bioflavenoids.  I am taking Thorne Venacaps, and taking a highly concentrated product called Fruit Anthocyanins by a Dr. Mitchell.  

My naturopath says my vericose veins are also because of the same issue.  I have not had a reoccurrence since starting this plan.  In my case, he said to cease taking a daily baby aspirin.  Hope this helps!!!
Hi to everyone. Having just trawled thru a load of these posts, it seems loads of you suffer from low blood pressure, fainting when you stand up, varicose veins etc. Has anyone been diagnosed with joint hypermobility syndrome?. Seems to me that over flexible connective tissue might mean your small blood vessels are unusually fragile and prone to damage or spontaneous bursting. But I'm no doctor.
http://medical-base.com/symptoms-and-treatment-methods-for-a-popped-blood-vessel-in-finger

I just found this. worth a read.
I do not necessarily agree with your opinion that this is nothing to worry about.  I don't mean to be an alarmist, but I occasionally have the popping in my palm, finger and foot vessels.  Not often.  The clincher is that I've also had my carotid artery dissect twice.  It hurts the same way, but in my neck.  The first time I was 26 years old and went to the doctor because I thought it was an especially painful lymph node.  I was admitted to the hospital that afternoon and they did an MRI on my neck and brain.  Watched for stroke in the hospital for a week as they treated me with blood thinners and let it heal on its own.  Didn't do surgery bc of my age.  They would have done surgery if I had been in my 60s.  Happened again 2 years later, roughly same spot.  I also have had super ventricular tachycardia (corrected with heart ablation), lost a child at 34 weeks due to fetal maternal hemorrhage, I'm 6'0" (slightly tall for a woman), mitral valve prolapse.  I went through genetic counseling and testing for lupus, marfan's syndrome, etc after we lost our daughter.  They determined that I had a collagen disorder but couldn't come up with a name.  Collagen is the "glue" that holds us together.  I believe I remember it being in essentially every part of us.  I think that the popping (or dissection) of blood vessels is related to collagen but I haven't seen one single person mention that on this forum.  
Yes , the capillary fragility must be due to a collagen disorder.This is why many of us are taking Vit C and Grapeseed Extract , both shown to assist collagen synthesis.
   Unfortunately G.P.s don't seem interested. My G.P. offered to refer me to a specialist , but as she said , she had no idea in which field.
Business_woman2
First this could be something more serious so be sure to check with your doctor.   Ask your healthcare provider firts, but you can  try with vitamin C with Bioflavinoids (at least 300 mg Bioflvinoids)  Years ago,  I went to the doctore because I had very heavy periods and bruising for no reason.  We tied icing and raising the foot of my bed for the periods. He was going to hosipitalize me to medicate.   I asked for something natural, first, so he recommended Peridin-c .  It is nothing but C with Bioflainoids.  It works to prevent bruises in me.I believe it is disontinued as a perscription drug.  Dentists perscribed it years ago befor dental surgery to build up capillary strength.

I stil have to take it if I take aspirin and before my last  medical surgery

PS Bioflavanoids is the white part of the orange skin  I have eaten tangerine peel for a  few days with the same result but my tangerines are chemical free
If you haven't found out yet ,and this post is not too old,I would look into gluten sensitivity and celiac disease.  Best test for CD is from IMMCo Diagnostics in Buffalo, NY.
Thanks everyone for posting on this perplexing situation! Today I was chopping some kindling and a little while later I felt the sting on the inside of my middle finger. It's happened before and I've always pretty much ignored it thinking it was some little injury as I'm always using my hands. Well I found out that I had Reynauds syndrome when I moved to a colder climate. (Dad, brother and cousin also have it, so probably hereditary.) Also, ocular migraines, as I noticed another poster mentioning. My brother gets the burst veins in his eye. Oh yeah, I had a brain aneurism (aneurysm) a couple of years ago, too. They said I was real lucky to have survived and not have any damage. But the neurologists couldn't tell me why it happened, just said it probably wouldn't happen again. It might of been a weak spot since birth. So, there really are a lot of things the doctors can't give you an answer for is what I learned. And since it was a teaching hospital they tested me for everything under the sun. So, I will be curious to see if someone ever gets a straight answer on this.
I have had breaking in my fingers for the last 25years and have always been very healthy. I have been taking prescription atenolol 50mg for at least 25 years. Recently my doctor lessened the dose to25 Mg and have had only one eplsode in the last five months I hope this information will be helpful to someone else.
I've had the same problem for most of my life, with the first episode way back in my teens. I don't have to be doing anything at all when I feel the sting followed by swelling in the finger or thumb. The bruise seems to last anywhere from a day or two to beyond a week. A few times, the finger would look completely dark, be physically cold and have no feeling - while the other fingers were warm. When this happens, I try to keep the injured finger warm.

Have never been diagnosed with Raynaud's but years ago did my own research and definitely believe I have it.

The bursting blood vessels happen many times during the course of the year and it doesn't matter if it's warm or cold and if I'm doing a chore or nothing at all.

Have read through all the posts and am relieved to find there are others suffering from the same problem. My issue seems to be that once the bruising occurs, it continues to be injured and won't heal quickly. No doctor has taken an interest in this and my fear is completely losing circulation to the digit.

Yes, I have had toes affected as well, but it's usually the fingers/thumbs and it happens to either hand.

Will look into the supplements and see if they help. Thanks for all the info!
Popped a vessel in my finger yesterday while chopping onions turned the whole finger black and it swelled up, later that night went to the fridge for a drink and when i opened the door is when i went all dizzy couldnt see a thing and then i collapsed was knocked out cold for about ten minutes when i came round i stayed down for ages physically couldnt get up and everytime i tried to stand i hit the floor again i was sweating very bad and shaking it has happened me once before when i was pregnant with the same symptons... Im 39 always tired always cold but sweat a lot have a thin build and im 5"5 weighing 8 1/2 stone.. It was pretty scary to say the least.
This has happened to me a few times too ; probably not related to the ruptured capillary but could be low blood pressure. I notice most of us on this forum are female , slim or skinny , with low blood pressure.
Best get checked out by doc , though.
I've had popping vessels since my 20's, noticing it during volleyball - ouch! It was every now and then until my 50's when it happened more often every time in contact with a hard object, then several times a week last year (now in my 60's) even when clapping my hands. Pain, swelling, purple/blue color.

I asked my teacher who is a physician and an osteopath - I was in a course with him - and could only think of two things that had changed.  One was that I had been taking less animal protein, and two - I'd been taking systemic enzymes for a few months just for preventative reasons.

Oddly, he said it probably was the enzymes - specifically the lipase - which can act like a steroid and break down the lipids in the vessels walls if you take too much. I stopped taking the enzymes, added animal protein back in (some red meat) and it stopped happening.  I became a vegetarian in my 20's, so the connection may be more diet than age.

When not taking the enzymes and a vessel ruptures, it has also helped just to add more red meat, which also helps stabilize the joints via connective tissue I suppose - ligaments don't seem so lax.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

asure
Thank you for coming on and saying so. I want to be keep informed please take my email address. ***@****.  My doctor did not even address the complaint after reporting this.  I have low blood pressure, have had all my life and was recently put on thyroid meds'. Which I have not seen the results from yet (2 months now).  I eat well and stay physically fit for my age (63) .  Would appreciate hearing what you may find out. Thank You.
Many similar characteristics w others who post here, both the positive (low BP, slim, active etc) and the problematic.   I am retired CNM and active still as nurse, v interested in Complimentary and Alt. Medicine incl homeopathy.
Asked for suggestions for   supplement at our local pharm where they carry wide variety of suppl. and was told to take RUTIN, which is a  citrus flavinoid glycoside.   I believe I take 500mg/day but ran out abt a week ago and can't recall.  What I can report is that my sx ( popped capillaries esp in fingers) had improved significantly after starting the supplement and returned within about 3-5days of running out of it.   Also have bruise on my arm that I know of no associated cause for.   I initially took the supplement without reading much at all but with the recurrence I have gotten curious and found this exchange site.  I realize now (!) there is a homeopathic remedy call "Ruta Graveolens".   Rutin in some sources thought to be more potent antiox than quercitin, but in other places this is reverse.  

In any case, for what it is worth, I wanted to post this and am grateful for the exchange though I may not get back to the site.  
What a relief to find someone who has had the same experience. I have just left hospital after a pulmonary embolism, and tried to tell the doctors about the popping veins, but they didn't listen. Apart from taking hormone replacement therapy I had no other risk factors, I'm 57, 61 kilos (I'm english and living in france) and more or less vegan for the past 6 months.
You have just described me!  I am vegan, healthy, fairly sporty, very low blood pressure.  Have quite extensive medical knowledge and have never come across this before.  I had a vein pop in my ring finger yesterday and I have lost the feeling in the tip of the same finger.  Puzzled.  I do get cold hands but don't really think I have Reynauds.  Sasha
It's started happening to me too. Happy to find this page as I was worrying a bit. I'm 47, active, slim, tall.. work full time, busy life teaching. Nursing background before teaching, so know something can't be right for blood vessels to pop for nothing! Also have low blood pressure. Take HRT as had Endometrial cancer at 29.. no recurrence. Not something I'd bother making appointment at GP for usually just get on with things... but will go and mention it and post back with result. I do get tired and probably tend to push through this rather than resting... always lots to do, see, experience!
Hi, I've just found this forum and wanted to add my experience.  I'm 43, female, normal weight, average height, a vegetarian since my teens and generally healthy.  I do however have an underactive thyroid, have hypermobile joints (fingers, hips and shoulders) and polycystic kidneys (which I was diagnosed with 22 years ago but have no need for medication).  I have been having episodes of popping veins for a few years now, both in my fingers and toes and before finding this site only knew of one other person who had similar symptoms.  I mentioned it to my doctor in passing who said he didn't have a clue what it was and when I jokingly said it would give him something to research, he laughed and said "I don't think so", which didn't help me feeling like a freak.  Anyway, I don't have to be physically doing anything to feel the stinging and throbbing, a massive pressure and eventually the pain of it popping and eventually bruising.  After the bruising, although it feels tender, it generally isn't painful anymore and the bruising does subside after a day or two.  Although I do feel the cold I don't think I suffer with bad circulation.  It even happened whilst holidaying in the South of France where it was scorching hot.  I was walking down a medieval street when I felt the sensation in my big toe.  It got to the stage where I couldn't even walk and had to sit on the pavement in agony whilst the pain disappeared.  Obviously the look on my face must've given away the pain I was in as several people crowded around to see if I was OK.  Anyway, last night I was speaking to another friend who also suffered from Polycystic Kidney Disease but has since had a transplant, but who also mentioned that she suffered the same "popping".  We wondered whether it could have anything to do with the disease, which incidently can also cause brain aneurisms!  Any further insight would be very interest to hear. So sorry for the long-winded wibble!.
i wasnt too concerned while this was happening in my fingers and hands and wrists, but lately my calves are bruised and i dont have varicose veins, ans my blood clotting is totally normal.... the worst pain i have ever had, cant stand or walk because calf is so very sore, about 15 bruised spots scattered all over
Up your vitamin C fruits to an over the top level. I've been ok for over a year now except yesterday when I had a bruise appear on the sole of my foot and behind my big toe. It was soooo painful. I've been through a colossally stressful period just lately and I'm sure it's to do with vitamin c levels that go down due to stress. 2 years ago veins kept popping and my oh my, did the areas look bad!!!  Then I upped my fruit I have for breakfast -- mainly berries -- to an expensive level but hey - no more bruising. I honestly swear by mega vitamin C, not in tablets but in fruit. Plus veges everyday with your dinner, like Kale and Spinach. Try it and see?......
Im also glad I found this post. I also am 62, slim, very healthy, low blood pressure all my life. I wondered if it was because I have a glass of red wine everynight so thought I'd switch to white wine but.... who knows. It is always the inside of my finger joints and recently was trying on a pair of shoes and my foot vein burst. I thought there was a spider in the shoe that had bitten me LOL.  I'm not too worried about it as, overall, I have enjoyed brilliant health all my life and, no, it is not related to cold hands, at least for me.  thanks for this great thread.
Thanks everyone.  This describes me to a T.  Thin, 70, mainly vegetarian, active, not stressed, good circulation all my life.  Achenbach's definitely fits the bill - collagen disorder makes sense to me.   I don't take  meds and live a healthy life eating crunchy foods, but will definitely go for Real Vit C in mega doses, grapeseed extract, berries, kale and spinach, and will have a fat steak once a week from now on.  YUM.

Sallymc
So glad I found this forum.  I am 77, not slim (a little overweight), had an ablation 18 months ago for A-fib. take Pradaxa, a blood thinner, physically active, low BP whole life.  Hands and feet usually feel cold to others.  Had occasional popping with stinging in ring finger right hand in past 20 years, but this last month twice in same finger, once in left thumb, and tonight left hand pad opposite thumb pad.  For a week or so after initial popping of vessel, whenever finger or thumb gets cold, it begins to tingle, turns numb, and becomes extremely pale.  The only way I have found to relieve it is to run warm water over it until it gets warm, then the tingling and numbness disappear and the color returns to normal.  
I plan to eat more fruit and research Achenbach Syndrome.
I think you are all correct! It's been happening to me for a few years and I'm a 51 year old healthy woman who doesn't smoke, drink, and has normal blood pressure, etc.  I take 81mg baby aspiring everyday though for a condition where I clot easier than most people (Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome).  

I found out I had it when I was trying to get pregnant. It IS hereditary and my Dad had the same syndrome. He used to cut himself and heal freaky fast!

I have noticed that too much caffeine (diet coke!) and sugar makes it worse for me.

Just a note - A few people had mentioned liver function. I had jaundice when I was a baby so my liver has always been a bit on the slow metabolic side.

It's not pleasant, but not dangerous. Ah - add this to the joys of getting older! (Sarcasm intended!)
Yippee..I am not alone!!  Here is what I recently sent to a website on blood clots hoping to find answers...they couldnt help me so I kept looking until I found this site!!

Here is my personal H&P:
1.       Female
2.       Age 51 (03/08/1963)
3.       Healthy all of my life….never been in the hospital except to have my tonsils removed in 1969 and then to have my two sons in 2003 and 2006.
4.       On birth control pill from 1988 – 2002 and then on a low estrogen pill from 2006 – 2012.  Stopped having menstrual cycles as soon as I stopped taking the low estrogen pill in April 2012.
5.       5’4 112 pounds (same size that I have been since I was 15 years old except for my two pregnancies).
6.       Had 3 miscarriages between my two son’s births.  All 3 were apparent fertilized eggs that didn’t grow, so I never got past the early stages with those pregnancies.  I took progesterone for a two months prior to conceiving my second son and had no issues during the pregnancy.  Both boys are normal healthy (smart, handsome, and athletic) little boys.
7.       I am very active…I surf, skateboard (I wear a helmet and all of the protective gear ), ride a bike, run, snow ski, roller blade, work out at the gym, etc….when I am not playing mom to my sons.

My symptoms are:
1.       For a long time….perhaps as long as I have been on the birth control (1988) and perhaps that is coincidental I have been getting blood clots in my fingers.  From this early time and up until about 3 years ago it only happened once or twice a year and it was a very small clot.  I assume this since it was usually just a little burning sensation in the finger joint as it broke and a little bruise….hardly noticeable.
2.       But in the recent years I get blood clots in my fingers many times during the year.  Sometimes I get several in a short period of time ( days apart or a week or two apart) and sometimes I don’t get any for months.  The ones I get now are much bigger. Sometimes I think my finger feels like it is going to explode as the pressure builds up.  Or one time I got a large marble size lump in the palm of my hand that I massaged until it dissolved.  I also massage the finger when I feel a large one moving into them.   Sometimes I just look at my finger and see a large bruise….though they never are tender to the touch and they dissolve quickly compared to bruises I get when I bang into something.
3.       I have other symptoms that are most likely related to menopause…thirsty at night, hot flashes on my chest (though they are less now and I don’t wake up with the sweats at 2am anymore), dizzy if I squat down and come up (I started taking Iron tablets two months ago and this seems to better too).

Everything else is normal….my sleep is fine as it can be for a mother ( I no longer sleep “dead to the world” since my first son was born but I get about 8-10 hours/night), my eating is healthy, I don’t drink or smoke or take drugs (recreational or prescription), I take daily vitamins, and my bowels are normal.  No one else in my biological family has this issue and I have no known family history of blood problems. My ethnicity is half Greek and half Jewish….
Dizzy if you stand up too suddenly ? Sounds like low blood pressure , common to a lot of us.
In Europe they medicate for low blood pressure but in England it just counts as "good".
I don't know what the link can be...
I have had the popping in my fingers for one year.  I'm female, 34, white, slim,  perfectly healthy according to the analysis, no smoking or alcohol. In my fingers, a vein pops and bruising comes on fast, but is gone in a few hours. But with my feet is not that easy, because I cannot even walk, wear shoes etc. I have photographed most of these bruises, but doctors don't know what it is. First they suspected it was Vasculitis, but analysis didn't indicate that.
Wow...I can't believe how many of us there are. Many of your stories are the same as mine; and I get the popping vessels in my hands (mostly finger joints but palms too) and feet (ball of my foot or under toe joints).  There are so many similarities if you read all of the posts...I too am on thyroid meds, auto-immune Hashimoto's Disease, Gluten/dairy intolerant, low blood pressure, cold hands/feet (part of the thyroid issue), don't eat a lot of red meat (maybe I should be?), and currently have one vein in my baby finger joint about to pop...it's been swollen out now for two days and very painful...and I know when it breaks it will hurt just as bad.  Bruising usually lasts 2-3 days or so when I have one of these burst.  Would love to finally figure out if this is actually diet related as I have been gluten/dairy free for 3 yrs or so, and on thyroid meds for 15 yrs so my weight/digestion system is slower than the average, was on HRT but not anymore.  Age 57, female, consider myself in good health all things considered and just have these annoying little quirks.  I worry about the clotting issue though and would like to find out once and for all if I am doing something to cause this.
I came across this site last night because the same thing has been happening to me now for about 2-3 years.  I'm 55 and have been healthy all my life.  Always active and exercised through the years, mostly yoga these days.  I don't smoke, I eat healthy foods but do like sweets.  My hands and feet (nose too) will get cold more often than most people.  My job has been more stressful then ever the last few years (that's why I like yoga!).  I have low blood pressure and I'm at a healthy weight.  It started in my fingers.  Doing seemly nothing at the time, the blood vessel in on my left ring finger spontaneously broke and felt like a bee sting and hurt really bad.  I put ice on it and it bruised.  Then standing outside watering my plants, the blood vessel in my right foot broke.  It really hurt and I could not even walk on it when it first happened.  I put ice on it and the next morning it was black and blue.  I took pictures of it and sent them to my Doctor at Kaiser.  They had me come in and asked lots of questions, but really did not give me any reason as to why it may have happened.  Months later the same thing happened to my left foot while standing at home.  I took pictures again and again talked to my Doctor.  She talked to a specialist and they said  "not to worry, it was common".  I'm not sure I like the answer, because my Dad had a couple strokes and died from complications from a stroke and my Mom has varicose veins.  I wonder if this has more to do with stress (not when stress is high but when it has subsided and I'm more relaxed)? I guess I can handle the veins spontaneously popping in my hands and feet as long as it stops there.  
Wow, after reading your post, I can relate! I am a 59 yr old female who has always been in excellent shape.....hot yoga 4 times a week... Then went to PT after a terrible fall where I work out 3-4 times per week for 2-1/2 hours each day. The physicians in this group actually saw this event happen while I was there and have no clue as to why or what it is.

I have low blood pressure and have had fibromyalgia since 2000.  I eat very healthy with a diet of dark greens, organic chicken and seafood and fruit because I have to. At PT I was told by a sports medicine doctor that I can hyperextend various body parts, which in older years can lead to many physical problems if involved in an accident.  I'm living proof.  

This year I experienced the bee sting everyone is talking about, followed by excruciating pain on both fingers and toes...followed by dark bruising!  When it happens, you can actually see the purple vein form under the skin.  It's so painful that I sometimes have screamed and cried. There has to be a reason for this.  The physicians in this medical group have no clue what is wrong or why. After my accident, another group of physicians shot me up with enormous amounts of cortisone which in turn caused severe purpura due to thinning of the skin.  Then I had injections of euflexa.  I went to an oncologist who ran tests, and said I had no blood problems. Having been a medical consultant for 18 years, I just can't believe there isn't a name for this condition!   Should we ask Dr. Oz,! ?  Lol
Hi, just discovered this tonight. I swam thisevening as usual and the lowest joint of my middle finger suddenly swelled up and turned blue (in the space of 1 lap). There was no trauma. The swelling subsided somewhat after about 40 minutes. But it is still swollen now (3 hours later) and quite blue. This is a first for me. I'm a 47 year old female. I take baby Asprin sporadically. Strange.
Hi All. I'm 39, slim, 5' 4" with low blood pressure and have had this popping and bruising on my fingers several times in the last few years.

This morning my thumb turned purple/black and was full of pins and needles, I had been feeling shaky and nauseous too so I took myself to the doctor and (forgetting and failing to mention past finger popping incidents) he therefore decided it was an infection due to a thorn puncture I had last week. So I've been prescribed anti inflamatories (naproxen) and Doxycycline antibiotic. I think I've been wrongly diagnosed!

I also suffer from swollen achy  fingers, lower back pain, achy knees and psoriasis. So i've been looking into arthritis and lupus too. But hopefully its just middle age creeping up on me.....
Yes,  I just had mine happen today.   I never hit it on anything.  But I called my health nurse and she said to wrap a Band-Aid around it pretty tight and that would stop the seeping of blood.   I think mine is caused from Blood thinners.  That is the first time I have ever had that to happen.
I get them on my feet, legs, fingers and stomach. I called my cardiologist because I was simply putting a quart of oil in my car and the vessels broke in two fingers and then the skin over on of them opened and blood was gushing all over. I put pressure on it and it finally quit. My cardiologist wants me in his office this Friday, says we will discuss it then.
Ok after reading all of these posts I am nervous - worried - and a little scared. I put things off and say they are no big deal. Two weeks ago I picked something up and a blood vessel popped on my ring finger and was black and blue within an hour and hurt instantly. And I have a very high pain threshold. Just now I went to open the refrigerator and just pulling the door open my middle finger had one pop. 8 years ago I had a stroke and they found the reason was an AVM -arteriovenous malformation - two veins were pooling into one spot and I could have had an aneurysm if I hadn't had the stroke. So I proceeded to have brain surgery. If I have weak veins that is very scary. This just started. I didn't think it was a big deal. Is it? Should I ask a doctor about this??
Hi All -  I just wanted to add my experience.  While preparing dinner for the family (including wife and five kids) while just walking across the kitchen, all of a sudden, the shot of burning pain.  I immediately knew what it was.  It has happened sporadically since I was a teenager.  I would say it happens once or twice a year.  Always seems to just come, all of a suddenly, while not doing anything in particular.  I am 68 year old male.  My mother would get them on rare occasions.  It was just called for what it was...we just popped a blood vessel.  It hurt.  If cold water is handy I apply it.  After a little while it will get itchy.  It goes from the initial blue to black and blue with a little purple.  Within a day or so it is all gone.  The pain is basically gone within the hour.  The black and blue is gone in a day or two.  The only reason I am posting on here is because when it happened tonight, and I went to apply running cold water, while quietly muttering "wow, that hurts".  My wife and kids asked what was the problem.  When I told them that I just popped a blood vessel they all thought I was crazy and none of them had ever heard of it!!  So I came to google it.  I never gave it a thought that my wife and kids had never been around when it has happened.  I don't have low blood pressure.  I am very slightly overweight...5-11 at 185 pounds.  As I said initially, I have had this happen since I was a teenager.  I never gave a thought until tonight with the family's reaction.  I have never mentioned it to my doctor and probably won't in the future.  I have had occasional health issues but nothing consistent with problems that people here seem to post.  I think I just wanted to throw in my two cents worth that it really doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.  I am 68 and reasonably healthy with just a little cholesterol and some grief from fibromyalgia.  Popping a blood vessel just seems to be an occasional thing!!
I have had problems with the inside of my hands turning a blue motley colour,sometimes pink it's there 99% of the time  looks like I have had my hands in dye, then 2 years ago started getting blood blisters doing the lightest of tasks. Sweeping up! gardening, even to ripping up paper, not just on fingers also the palms below the thumb joint  is  were it happens quite often, any type of friction and it just pops. My doctors seem baffled by this. Blood tests have come back normal. I'm 49, drink on very rare occasions. And a smoker.
I'm so glad I have found this website. I thought I was the only 1
Does anyone else notice that the popped vein occurs before an onset of joint pain in the same area?  This has been happening for years and it's so painful and upsetting.
I am 63 and I also have experienced the painful blood vessel bursting in my finger.  I have also questioned my MD and she could not give me an answer. I have had tests done for different symptoms and was told I was normal and healthy each time.  This all started when I was in my 40's.

I am not a doctor.  What I have noticed in my case over the years is when my spine is out-of-line I experience many different symptoms, one of which is the painful black and blue bursting of a blood vessel, knee pain, all-over body ache, light headed, nausea, headaches, etc. Can't explain it and don't know if this is a coincidence.  I visit my chiropractor, she adjusts my spine and I'm good.  This can happen to men and women.  As we age our spine can compress vital nerves and vessels.  Child birth as well as stress, weight gain or loss and other activities can cause your spine to be off balance and cause many symptoms that cannot be diagnosed.  
I'm hoping this will be helpful to someone.    
i just came across your post about the bursting blood vessels...  i smoke, do not drink,do suck down lots of caffene in sodas also.  my hands and feet are always cold, not warm like yours and i have no problem eating.  did you ever find out what reallyyy actually causes this thing?
Hi thank you I thought I was the only one to have blood vessels popping in fingers and toes.I am 45 and have had this happen for about 2 years on and off.I am posting today as I get blood results tomorrow. My doctor has ordered all sorts of test as unsure why this is happening. I do have medical history of hypermobility causing dislocation of knees and thumb and I have a kidney problem.I will let you all know if any thing comes from my test results.
Google ACHENBACH'S SYNDROME !!!!!! You will see pictures and discussions and studies about it all over.   I am not a health care professional, but I love to do medical research.  These hematomas happen to me on my fingers and toes and my doctor told me he thought it was vasculitis.  Then I found all kinds of information about this syndrome and I really think that THIS is what I have. In fact, my guess would be that many docs have probably never even heard of Achenbach's syndrome (I had to tell my doc what I thought it was).  Here is a brief description of one study's abstract: "Achenbach's syndrome, also known as paroxysmal finger hematoma, is a rarely reported clinical disorder with recurring, sudden bruising of the volar part of a finger, appearing spontaneously or after minor trauma and resolving completely within days...and later the  CONCLUSION of the study: We stress the need for greater awareness among clinicians of the harmlessness of the condition in order to avoid misdiagnoses and dispensable diagnostic procedures."   I'm not saying that people here have this, but just wanted to pass along additional information for you to consider when speaking with your doctor.  
Suzy- I just posted this on the medhelp site but thought I'd send it to you personally since you were the last post.  If you have had no answers from your docs, please Google ACHENBACH'S SYNDROME !!!!!! You will see pictures and discussions and studies about it all over.   I am not a health care professional, but I love to do medical research.  These hematomas happen to me on my fingers and toes and my doctor told me he thought it was vasculitis.  Then I found all kinds of information about this syndrome and I really think that THIS is what I have. In fact, my guess would be that many docs have probably never even heard of Achenbach's syndrome (I had to tell my doc what I thought it was).  Here is a brief description of one study's abstract: "Achenbach's syndrome, also known as paroxysmal finger hematoma, is a rarely reported clinical disorder with recurring, sudden bruising of the volar part of a finger, appearing spontaneously or after minor trauma and resolving completely within days...and later the  CONCLUSION of the study: We stress the need for greater awareness among clinicians of the harmlessness of the condition in order to avoid misdiagnoses and dispensable diagnostic procedures."   I'm not saying that people here have this, but just wanted to pass along additional information for you to consider when speaking with your doctor.  
Viewing 601-639 comments: