blood vessels popping in fingers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

blood vessels popping in fingers

in the last two weeks i have had three blood vessels just pop in my fingers. i was not doing anything out of the ordinary. what could be causing this? should there be a cause for concern?
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Honestly I don't know anything about Hepatitis C and don't want to get you all weirded out but I read the other forums when I'm bored and on the Hepatitis one there is a poster whom had a husband having several painful blood blisters on his hands. Like I said I'm sure it's nothing but I thought I would mention it.
its not blood blisters,its a blood vessel under the skin like your vein pops and then there is a bruise for about 2 days then it goes away
I'm sorry, I hope I didn't alarm you. This person said blisters.
thats ok just want to know if i need to be concerned i don't have any insurance so thats why i haven't called a dr.
I also have this symptom. It has been happening for at least 2 years, at least once a month. My blood pressure is 90/60. It usually happens on the palm side of  various fingers, but in April, I had one rupture on my knuckle. I'm very interested in any comments.
So what is it??
Has anyone found out what the broken blood vessels in the fingers mean?  
this occured when i about 2 months old and in my ears
I've had this problem about 10 years ago.  I would get a ping sensation in any one of my fingers and seconds later it will fill up with blood and look bruised.  I had it once so severely that I went to the emergency room where they gave me meds to open my arteries.  My index finger was so swollen that if I waited a day or two longer it would have gone gangreen.  I've been to vascular surgeons, cardiologists. hand surgeons and regular md's and no one can help me.  This just happened again to my thumb after 10 years and my cardiologist prescribed high blood pressure meds...and I DON'T have high blood pressure, I've been running for 25 years!  If anyone has a diagnosis please share...I know your frustration.
I came to this site via a search on spontaneous bursting of a blood vessel in fingers.  This happened to me a few days ago while on vacation.  I didn't injure it or hit it, but suddenly felt my pinkie finger swelling and going numb.  It swelled so tight I thought it was going to burst.  It was twice as fat as my other pinkie.  I used ice, pressure, elevation.  My whole finger turned purple.  It is now 4 days since it happened and it is back to normal size but still discolored and tender.  Since I work in medical, I will ask about it.  Per web search, suspect conditions are high blood pressure and liver dysfunction... as far as I know, neither of these are the case. I am 60 and take no meds.
I asked the Dr at work about the burst blood vessel in my finger.  Turns out, it was caused by 2 factors:  1) I had been taking 2 days of aspirin/acetophenamin for headache AND 2) I had traveled to a location with a higher elevation than home by 4,100 ft.  Both of these can cause a spontaneous bleed of small capillaries in extremities.
A dear friend of mine has this issue also, but she is in constant pain, she can feel the pain go down her arm and then her hand swells and a vessel pops and bruises instantly. She's been to every Dr. there is and no one has an answer.

If anyone ever does get and actual diagnoses please share.

(She doesn't take asprin or deals with elevation issues)
Hi all

This is an intresting one.

Some years ago I was cleaning when all of a sudden I got a pain in my finger it was like a wasp sting when I looked I could see the blue vein which was going very dark and the pain was terrible after a little while it setted down.
Later the same day it happened again and the pain was worse I cold see the vein looking as if it was ready to pop so Of I popped to the hospital several doctors had a look and could not make it out great then they called for another doctor and she said oh its the vein that has popped I get that all the time dont know why it happens, and sent me home. THANKS.

It happened on and off over long periods of time between each one.I have not had it for about 5years anyway it has just happened again I picked up the mop done two stokes across the floor and the pain in my thumb there it was the dark blue vein and the thumb swelled up and has now gone all red.

I have looked and looked on google and I can not find any answers.

Im with son03 on this he one what is it has any one got the answer.
hi i have been getting these burst blood vessels in my fingers for a couple of years now, usually on my right hand...i can tell when its going to happen because its starts to throb and gets itchy then can be painful when it actually bursts, but just recently the passed few months ive been getting them in my arms and especially my right leg, they have been very painful in my legs,

dunno should i consult ma doc????
I get those too. I had one burst yesterday, very painful. I've had them the past few years but I do have high blood pressure which is controlled by medicine. I've always assumed it's harmless or genetics?
I get the same thing. I have had it for months on and of. I have a lump constanly in the crease of my finger. If I go climbing or carry shopping bags its really painful. So I try to be careful not to put pressure on it to stop the "pop" which is even more excrutiating. Hope someone out there can help.    
I also have the same thing.  Had it for a few years and went to my doctor who did blood tests and found I had under active thyroid.  But I still get the painful bruises in the palm side of my fingers now and again.  No one seems to know why. I recently had this happen to two fingers on the same hand in  the same day.
I have had this problem all my life, but not all the time....sometimes I don't notice them too much because the pain goes away within hours.  Recently though, I had one break in my palm under the thumb joint and it turned to a bruise.  I work in a nursing home and most of the nurses there have never heard of it.  I don't take any meds and have low blood pressure.  I do crochet though....????
I always thought it happened to everyone.
I am having this problem also. I have migrain headachs a it seems to go along with them. also when I have taken asprin for a few days. The pharmisist said it was nothing when I showed her. I broke 3 while I was there picking up my Rx. I have swithched to Motren
I've had this on and off for almost 10 years.  Google it once in a while as No One - in medical profession -takes me seriously.  There is nothing in particular at all that instigates it.  I'm in general Good health.  This must be a Symptom of some venous problem.  Let's team up and all write to a reputable medical research hospital.
I have had small capillaries burst in my fingers for years. I get a pinch like a bee sting, then it swells and turns blue and hurts. Saw a really smart doctor about this. She said is is just something that happens occasionally and is not serious. I am healthy and just underwent $60,000. worth of testing and I have nothing wrong.
I get them too, and have done for years. Sometimes from a small trauma, mostly not. I am 50+ healthy and fit and not on medications that would affect bleeding. I notice they happen more around my period and in hot weather. My brother gets them too. Seems to be a minor vascular fault, amplified by age. Not a sign of anything worth worrying about.
I am 32 years old and also get these in my right hand. they just started this year and concerned me quite a bit but everyone keeps saying you must have hit it on something. Obviously I would notice that....lol Glad to know it is of no concern and I'm not alone. My family has horrible cardiovascular history starting in their early 40's and I was really starting to freak out.
This has been happening to me for years.It will happen for no apparent reason. The first time it occurred I put ice on it and it got much worse. I ended up in the hospital. There was never any diagnosis so I've learned to live with the occasional problem. However, soaking the finger in hot water helps ease the pain.
I have just had my first experience of this and was tying my shoe lace and had a pain   like a bee sting I put my hand in cold water to relieve it as had a lot of pain and could not  bend my finger.Later on my hand got so cold and my finger went dead had to warm it up with a heat pad.After this it went very hot and was painful so i took two ibroprofen and went to bed planning on visiting the doctor,  The next day the swelling had gone down but I had what looked like severe bruising which was almost the entire finger and had spread to my first knuckle.I did'nt  visit the Dr and looked this up on google.It has been so interting to find comments from so many other people but frustrating when there does not seem to be a proper answer.I have recently been taking a low dose of aspirin in preparation for a long flight ??
I am so relieved I found this. WebMD had no information on this. I was playing on the Wii yesterday and out of no where I felt my finger tingle like it was swelling a few minutes later it was turning blue. I have been freaking out since then looking all over the internet. I thought I was havng a reaction to some new medicine I am taking but I went to their site and it is not listed as a side effect or reason to call Dr. Then my husband said maybe I popped a blood vessel. My hands are very cold for hours in the morning then by about 2pm they are fine. My finger looked horrible and has been sensitive. But it is actually looking alot better now at the end of day 2. I am so glad this happens to others too!!
I am so relieved that I am not alone with the problem of popped blood vessels. I had one pop in my right index finger on Monday it felt like a bee sting, I have had others in my left hand over a number of years. My doctor said " nothing to worry about" but you do wonder whats happening.It's interesting to read that a number of people had been taking asprin. I had been taking pain killers for over a week so maybe this could be one cause, also I had just had a extremly hot flush and I thought that maybe my bloodpressure may have been up at that time. Who knows it seems such a mystery.
Bernadette
Spider angiomas are common w hep c and cirrhosis. But its more a symptom rather than whats going on. It sounds like the weakening of the vascular system that occurs with hep c.It's also why I stopped taking planes places.

You may try boosting your vitamin k intake by eating more spinach broccoli ectra.

I also have good blood pressure yet still have this problem myself some days and it HURTS like a mofo when it happens with me think wasp or bee sting.

Compression of the area at the first sign of trouble and icing helps as with any other bruising problem.

Asprin and tylenol are a good idea to avoid with liver problems.Same with ibuprophen and bleeding problems/gastric problems bad idea if you have varices!. You might inquire about drugs like tramadol that act via a different mechanism.

Try wiki if you start out with hep and work your way down the chain there is a ton of helpful information.
As for the doctors yup theres a million and one things that can cause a burst vessel.
It is exasperating s all get out and alarming. I got the same run around but I have a slightly different perspective after spending six months as an intern MT.

My first liver doc told me the more I knew the better off I'd be so I spend a lot of time doing independent research trying to figure these things out.

Also weakening of the veins and capillaries in the extremities is pretty common with aging regardless of health.So for those of you that are older. Yup for you it may just be a part of the aging process.Never hurts to stick your hand in the docs face and go oi!

For me avoiding planes and eating better seems to have worked mostly. :)
I have had these happen to me for years... I can't explain them but man do they hurt!  Got one today in the knuckle area in my palm.  Bright blue bruise.... very weird the only thing I can think is my blood vessels seem really close to my skin.  And I hit them just right...
I'm so relieved that there are a lot of people with this problem. I thought there was something bizarre wrong with me. I'm 45 and have had spells of this going on for about 10 years. In both hands, usually the palm-side of the fingers, but occasionally in the palm. I know when it's going to happen - can feel pressure, then it pops and you see blood under the skin and then it itches like crazy. Sometimes it's a hard blue marble under the skin. I have 3 that are permanently there (two in the same finger). It's almost never caused by anything - just happens. Occasionally it's when I grip something.
I forgot to say that I also have low blood pressure, and low iron. And - Does anyone know if any medical people ever reply to this stuff or is it just a bunch of us sharing our experiences and the blind leading the blind?
I'm amazed so many people have experienced the same thing. Mine happened out of no where as well but it hasn't gone away and it's been over a week. I'm going to go to the doctor and I'll post what he says. My case was also preceeded by light headedness.
Chalk up another person who is having this more frequently. 48 yr female...healthy. Just so frustrating that there is little to no info out there on this! I had one pop in the palm of my left hand 4 days ago, and now beneath the knuckle of index finger on the left hand.No reason, no trauma.... Recently, due to changes in the weather, I have been taking more Tylenol than usual for sinus pressure. HMMMMM keep the suggestions coming!
by:  Marann 2467  March 16, 2009    Wow I can't believe how many people have the same thing that I have.  It happens sometimes from trauma, but sometimes just happens.  Feels like a bee sting and itchy, then gets swollen, then red and purple.  After several days gets back to normal.  I am 62 years old and have no medical problems and no high blood pressure.  Mine usually happens on the right hand. Keep the suggestions coming.  I think vessels get weak with age, and sometimes just pop.  Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Caffeine is the culprit for me, I never drink coffee, and I had an espresso recently. Apparently it narrows the blood vessels temporarily.
This has got to be due to a vitamin C with Bioflavinoids deficiency!  Aspirin depletes vitamin C and so does stress and many other things.  You need a good multi vitamin and mineral  plus at least 1000 mg. vitamin C plus bioflavinoids.  The Bioflavinoids help keep the veins and arteries strong.
Wow, to reiterate, I am so glad this happens to others as well. I am a 39 year old Mom of 2 toddlers and just had this happen for the first time yesterday and did nothing out of the ordinary to have this happen. I live in a temperate Zone and its a cold spring this year. I felt a bee sting on my left index finger when I grabbed the handle of the stroller and thought "this is weird" there are no bees this time of year ? I have experienced very similar symptoms as everyone else. I will say, I too had taken Tylenol the day before as I had a Migraine from change in weather (we get a very wide range of temps this time of year - March) and it went from plus 15 to minus 8 in a day. I have low blood pressure and have had problems with cold extremeties, border line underactive Thyroid (they won't give me meds yet..), and was diagnosed with something called Reynaud's. I do believe this to be related after hearing all the people's posts. I am going to the doc next week and if he tells me more, I will post it.
Hi All!  I have been getting burst blood vessels in my fingers (and even occasionally in my feet) for no apparent reason for many years. I am 41.  It happens with very light to no exertion, and it stings then turns purple. It happened again to me this morning, and it's very disconcerting. I have also had problems in the past with excessive bleeding after surgery (2 occasions), and gums that bleed during a normal dental cleaning. I have researched this extensively, and the only thing I can find is that it may be Von Willebrand's disease. It's a common blood disorder that causes easy bruising (fragile capillaries) due to a defect in the platelets. (platelet count is normal, but clotting ability is not). I am going to ask my Dr to test me for it. Have any of you experienced blood loss episodes, including nosebleeds, heavy periods, excessive bleeding after surgery or anemia? I am very curious. Also, I was just diagosed with a Vitamin D deficiency that I have yet to be treated for (going this week).  I'd be interested in your feedback.

By the way - Von Willebrand's is known to be mainly a genetic disorder. If you have relatives with similar symptoms, they may want to get tested too.
I've had this occurrence in my fingers for a few years now.  I'm 40, a very healthy vegetarian, have low blood pressure, and was tested with a good vitamin D level (on an unrelated check up).  I would love to know if this should be of concern.  I'll post if I get any helpful feedback from my doc.
I suffer from the same condition.  First time it happened, I thought I had received a spider bite.  I went to the doctor, my finger was swollen, blue and painful.  The doctor said it happens with age as the vessels begin to thin.  
I have searched this condition, and it may not apply to anyone here by try looking up Raynaud's Phenomenon.  The condition somewhat describes me and some of you.  It is causes by certain medications, arthritis and usually brought on by cold or stress.
I have had this problem for a long time. I am an RN in the ICU. I happened to have one of my worst breaks today when doing nothing at all but mild work. For one thing, I can assure everyone that this is not a liver disorder like hep C. Hep C and liver problems, severe, cause clotting disorders. You have to be pretty sick for that to happen. Also, with Von Willenbrands, you would bleed SEVERELY when you have your menses. There are clotting disorders that can be checked with blood tests ordered by your doctor. I look at the broken blood vessels as a pain in the butt, or should I say, hand. I do a lot of physical work with my hands and also row crew and run. My B/p runs low and my HR is low. I think the vessels just might get a small laceration from work and then break when pressure increases from being in a dependent position. Not to worry.
Thank you SO much all of you who took the time to answer.  I have had this 'popping' issue in my hands for several years.  I am a 50 yr old, very healthy 103 lb female.  I have low BP, tend toward anemia, have heavy periods and Reynaud's.  I also have a Yorkshire Terrier, but that doesn't matter.  It's wonderful to now that I'm not harboring some dangerous illness.  Thank you, thank you.
I get these on my hands, fingers, and shins. It is like something blocks the blood vessel, and it swells and looks blue. The pinching feeling ranges from very annoying to truly painful. Then, I rub, or put ice, or shake my hand (nothing seems to matter) and either the block clears, or the vessel bursts.

I am 45 years old, and this has been happening for at least 20 years. It even happened once when I was in the doctor's office. He watched it swell, turn blue, burst, leave the requisite bruise. Then he looked at me and shrugged, and said he hadn't the slightest idea what it is.

Seems to me, if I could have this problem for 20+ years, that is probably the definition of annoying, but not dangerous. When reading through all the comments here, the only thing I notice, is that all the symptoms any of us has put down that might be related, shows no consistency with everyone else on this thread.

I am thinking of sending a link to this thread to a vein specialist. But I doubt anything will come from it...I mean, it seems to be not dangerous at all, so why should the doctors care? The only thing that I'd like to see, is a standard NAME of this syndrome, so that others like us could find out that it is common and benign.

How about "Benign surface blood vessel aneurysms"? or "Benign extremities blood vessel pops"? Or maybe someone could find this listed in some journal some time back, and name it after the doctor who first wrote about it.

Anyone else want to offer a name?
One thought...I do have a connective tissue problem, and am very tall and kind of lanky. Anybody else on this thread have loose connective tissues, or have the tall, long-arm, long-fingers body type?
I also have this problem.  I'm 46, female, BMI 21, vegan, regular exerciser.  All around healthy.  Except my hands!  I get the burst blood vessels and, when it's cold (I live in Alaska, so that's like, all the time!) they go completely white in the fingertips of the ring and middle finger.  Does everyone here with the "bursting" problem also have Raynaud's symptoms (situational white, waxy fingertips)?
I am 55, healthy and have this same problem.  I'm left handed, so most of my vessells seem to burst in my left hand.  I also have them bursted in my toes.  I have tiny red spots on my body.  I wonder if they are related to this problem?

I do have psorisas on my elbow and knees (joints).  I've wondered if there is any relation to this since the vessells always burst in the joints of my fingers and toes.  I've asked my doctor, with no answers.

Im gald I found this site.
Wow so glad to know I'm not alone with this. My left index finger, just out of no where, started stinging and swelling. It really hurt. It turned blue and looked like it had rubber bands around my finger it was so swollen. That was three days ago. It looks better but is still reddish blue and sore. It also is cold at the tip of my finger.I'm fifty seven year old female and I do take an asprin ( when I can remember ) but I don't really think that's a factor in anything. I'm hoping this is just an aging thing and nothing serious.
This is NOT normal and there should be some doctor/nutritionist out there who knows something!  I remember reading something about a link to a vitamin deficiency, but haven't found the forum again.  If I do, I'll come back with a possible answer.  This happens to me in cycles - often for a while and then not again for months.

Carol
Hi everyone, thanks for takeing the time to right all your comments on your experiences of burst blood vessels. Its just a releif to know im not on my own. Today i have experienced my second burst blood vessell on my index finger on my right hand palm side- and i agree its not a very nice feeling and the bruise looks awful, I was at work at the time and it just happened out of the blue. I feel better after reading all the postings regarding this subject. I am on no medication 44 yrs old and do not suffer from high blood pressure. My only ailment i do suffer from is anxiety. Which bursting blood vessells dont help !!
I am a 45 year old female. I've been living with this blood vessel popping in my hands for decades. I also get nose bleeds that can last for hours and wounds can take upwards of 2 weeks or longer to heal properly (pour wound healing). Although I am a hemophilia carrier, and was negative for Von Wildebrands, I take 4000 mg/day of Vit D, and 2000 mg of Vit C, the research that I have done indicates that its a thyroid issue. After reading all the posts, the vast majority of them also scream underactive and non treated hypothyroidism and we're all women. Go figure - we're women and we're not being treated for a legitimate health condition. My main concern is if the blood vessels pop in my hands with this kind of ease, can this also happen in the brain or other organs where this wouldn't be just a pain in the hand? I think we need to demand somehow that the medical establishment starts treating our hypothyroidism with some respect.
Like all of you, I have this condition, too.  For probably 10+ years.  It comes on for no apparent reason.  I am a very healthy and active 60-year-old woman (feel like 40).  I am thin and athletic, take vitamins daily (a good multivitamin with minerals, Super B, Vit C w/rosehips, 1200 mg of calcium + D.  I'm also on thyroid medicine (Levoxyl, .075)  for hypothyroidism and my TSH is in range and I'm feeling great.  I exercise:  power walking, push ups, yoga stretches, an occasional run.  Also, like some others here, I have Raynaud's syndrome (genetic:  mother and brother).

Yesterday while I was doing nothing strenuous, I felt the familiar tingle, then itching in my right middle finger, then it started to swell and by the end of the day it was like a purple sausage.  Hard to bend my finger.  Looks pretty hideous right now.  Have spoken to doctors over the years, and even showed a cardiologist a photograph of my hand in full bloom and all he did was shrug his shoulders and said he had no clue.  All of them just say "weak blood vessels in the fingers and hand".  Apparently there are so many veins and blood vessels in the fingers, and as we age they become more prone to injury.  I've stopped worrying about it, but it is very annoying and painful.

I do however feel better that I'm not alone, and agree that we should get the doctors to pay attention to us!!
I am a healthy female, age 38 with low BP and this blood vessel popping in the finger thing happened for the first time yesterday. I noticed the weather had been really hot and I had also been carrying a heavy watering can with that hand and had also been taking Ibuprofen for a few days for a skin infection on my foot.
I thought perhaps it was the Ibuprofen that caused it? Anyway I'm still alive, so hey ho.
I'm so relieved to find out I'm not the only one who has experienced this!  Mine happened a week ago just after I had taken my daughter swimming.  I was really hot at the time and had been on a long journey earlier in the day, so maybe that's what triggered it?  My doctor said she had never seen anything like it before, but suggested a popped vein.  When I woke up this morning my finger looked normal, but after a while it started to look bruised again, also my knuckle is still quite tender when it gets knocked.  Hoping it clears itself up soon.
I've had this blood vessel popping thing for at least 15 years, and I'm only 45. I've even had the entire even happen while I was seeing my doctor for something else, and he saw the vein do the swelling thing, and then the popping thing, and then the bruising thing.

He had no idea what it was.

And while some of you think heat or something else "causes" this, it is my experience that this can happen at almost any time. As far as I know, I've never had it happen in my sleep.

Besides my hands, I sometimes get them in my shins.
I have had this happen in my fingers for years, but in the past few months I have had vessels pop on my leg (side of calf just below knee) and on the inside of my right wrist.  This one was prettly painful and I kept pressure on it until the burning subsided.  Has anyone else had this happen in these areas?
I've had same problems in my fingers with pain whilst sometimes just sitting on sofa. Over past few weeks I've has 4 and today a major one in my hand (palm) went with lots of pain and major swelling. I was so shocked I came onto the net.
I feel reassured though that this is nothing to worry about. I'm 42 exceptionally fit, low blood pressure - been weight training today and spin class so maybe the weight training weakened a blood vessel when I was holding weights
Yah, had them in these areas. Nothing in particular seems to bring these things on, nothing I can think of keeps them away. Sometimes I'll get a few in a week, sometimes go months without any.
I've had this problem sporadically going on about 10 yrs always in the fingers.Two and half weeks ago I had an acupuncture session and about 1 1/2 days later I noticed a large bruise 1 x 2 inches in size on upper left chest about two inches below the collarbone. I blamed it on the acupuncture even though any bruising with acupuncture is usually immediate. This bruise still hasn't totally faded. Yesterday I felt that familiar pop in my right ring finger and sure enough a vessel popped. Finger swelled instantly to the point it was numb, painful,unbendable and luckily I was home to ice it. This morning the finger is bruised from tip to second knuckle and would have been much worse if not for the ice.Reading the above posts I notice people have been getting this in other parts of body so with the advent of this big one on my upper chest I am now concerned about having a bleed in a vital organ,( ie brain = catastophic results) I'm in my early 50's, rarely take pain relievers, and my only meds are Prevacid and Flovent, along with supplements, physically fit from lots of cardio and weightlifting, low BP and pulse. Unless it happens more frequently I am going to assume this is one of the beneign quirks of the human body.
Yah, I've sometimes worried about the vital organs thing, but it's been decades already, and it is always on the external parts of my extremities. So unless my brain counts as an extremity (and I don't count it that way...the scalp, maybe, but not the brain) I figure it is just one of those anomalies.

I've known people who have lived very long lives, and people who's lives have been cut tragically short. Ain't no rhyme nor reason to it. We go when it is our turn. So, I'll ice my bruises when needed, and keep truckin'.

I'm glad I found this forum.  I had this happen to me yesterday, in my left index finger.   I'm 58, I get migraines, and I have high blood pressure, although it's controlled with medication.  I recently hurt my right shoulder, and I've been taking aspirin, so I'm assuming that's probably the culprit.  The migraine medication (a "triptan" drug) also affects blood vessels, so that may also be a factor.  
I sympathize with those of you who have had this happen frequently!  It's also reassuring that it doesn't seem to be serious.
I have the blood vessel popping problem as well. Tend to HB and migraines. Reading the posts here tells me that it has nothing to do with that. After observing it for years I have come to the conclusion that it is a weakness or loss of elasticity of the vascular walls. On one occasion I asked Dr. DeAdamo (Eat right for your blood type) and was told to take bioflavonoids for it. I am beginning to take the supplement now, since the vessel popping has become too annoying to ignore.
Oh, please do post if you find this supplement helpful. :)

And yes, I have neither HB nor migraines. Never have.
My blood pressure tends to be slightly low, i'm 54 and have hypothyroidism.  Like most of you i've been searching for answers and no one seems to really know what causes this.  Mine aren't painful so i'm not sure if mine is a different problem.  It must be capillary fragility, but what is causing it.  I don't believe things happen for no reason.  When i cut myself i bleed and clot normally. I take natural thyroid med so don't take any drugs.
I just look down and there is another one, and they look like a blood blister, purple patch that seems to be mainly on the knuckles at the moment.  I've also been getting flushing, which i think could be the start of Rosecea. I'm post menopausal and already had the hot flushes. This comes and goes, sometime i don't get the hand thing for months then i do for months, and i find it worrying.  I've been told vit C and vit K, which i've started taking.  Capillaries seem noticiable on my upper chest too.
I had an eyetest recently and they take a photo of back of eye, and she said the capillaries there were not leaking and seemed healthy so she assumed that would be the case for rest of body.

I've noticed alot of people have mentioned their BP is low rather than high, umm, could there be a link?
I'm a healthy 46 year old.  I take no meds.  I have had this problem off and on for several years.  I burst the blood vessel on the palm side of my right index finger today and decided to google it.  hence, I found this site.  My finger will itch before the vessel bursts.  I tend to apply pressure immediately but I don't have any good reason for doing that.  My BP tends to run quite low.
I too have experienced this spontaneous rupture of blood vessels for 30 years. I'm an active, healthy 57 yr old female. On no medications of any kind. This occurs in both hands;  palms and fingers. During the past two weeks it has occurred 3x. I had one doctor, years ago, who showed some interest. Had clotting time checked, normal.  I too worry that this make eventually occur else where in my circulatory system.
I am a RN and will ask at work tommorrow.  I just let the dog out and sat down after when I felt an incredible pop in my finger at the knuckle and felt pain as I watched it turn blue and swell.  I've never had this happen before and am a 34 yr old female with no medical history.  I'm thin and can feel my pulse at my abdomen and carotid arteries.  I've wondered about my risk of aneurysms in the future.  I've noticed orthostatic hypotension especially when I'm working out or am on a long bike ride or run.  I'll share any answer I get.
I have had the same thing happen for several years.  My mom, my, husband and a male friend also gets them.  I am mildly hypothyroid and I too have low BP and low platelet.  My endocrinologist suggested I see a hematologist just to rule out thrombocytopenia.  I met with the hematologist and in less that 5 minutes he determined that I had psychogenic purpura.  I looked it up when I arrived home and I was shocked at the description.  It basically is a psychiatric condition or conversion disorder mostly caused by the abuse of the person as child and extreme stress. It likened it to a stigmata response (or just another hysterical female). So be careful what irresponsible medical doctors you run into while looking for an answer.  Obviously if they don't know they will come up with whatever obscure condition they can think of.
Hi I have sufford with blood vessels popping in my hands on and off for the last 10 years.
I am also a woman - Don't you think it is odd that nearly everyone posting is female?
I bruise really easily all over my body, battle to maintain a healthy weight and have heavy peroids.
The only medical conditions I have are asthma for which i take steroid inhalers.
The last time I had a spate of these happening, I came across an article that suggesting that you should eat citris pith. I tried this for a few months and my symptoms cleared up. I had not had an outbreak for about 2 years until yesterday I had two pop in the space an hour, so I guess I will try the citris pith again - I think this is a source of Bio flavanoids.

...I just had this happen about 2 hours ago...  I was helping my mother make-up a bed when I noticed a slight sting & itch on my left thumb...  I originally thought it was a bug bite, but then I noticed that under my skin, it was purple-ish/blue-ish like I bruised it...  and when I touched it, it feels like there's a bump there and a little tender...  I didn't do anything weird, hit it or anything -- it just spontaneously happened...

My mother said she's had it happen to her before and said to elevate my hand/arm...that it'll go away...  I did that, iced it and it's still here...

I'm thinking I popped a blood vessel...

For the last 1.5 years, I've had really weird symptoms that come and go.  Went to doctors who ran blood tests and examined me...  Said it was stress, anxiety and depression...

Possibly, but I did more research and wonder all these things (including this incident) could actually be related to perimenopause...and hormone levels fluctuating...  I read a lot of posts on another site and women experience really weird perimenopause symptoms...  (FYI, perimenopause is the period before menopause.  From mayoclinic.com -- "...Perimenopause encompasses the years leading up to menopause — anywhere from two to eight years — plus the first year after your final period."  "...When perimenopause starts and how long it lasts varies. You'll probably notice signs of impending menopause, such as menstrual irregularity, sometime in your 40s. But some women notice changes as early as their mid-30s.")

...just thought I would post this because someone mentioned that everyone posting here is female...and just wondered if it could be related to perimenopause...

I have had this issue for years now, and I was also diagnosed with a mild form of Von Willebrand's Disease (VWD) when I was a child.  I have been wondering if there is a connection, and I am going to make an appointment to see a hematologist.  I too am worried about a general weakening of the venous walls, especially if it may cause an aneurism (aneurysm) in the brain.  I also have BP that tends to be on the low side.  I will report back if I have any significant findings from the hematologist.  I hope we all get an answer to this issue.
I'm in nursing school - it happens to me. Low B/P, active, healthy, thin - no meds except vits. I'm going to research on our library research site to see if any research has been done. I think the idea of LOTS OF COFFEE??? might be one. Do all of you drink two+ lattes a day?
I am a 28 yr female and recently been having some issues.  Of which include bursting vessels in wrists, hands, arms, elbow joint. etc.  I have pain then I instantly get the reddish bruise (which fades in days). I also get deeper pains but never see a bruise to accompany it.  I also have petachie on my arms, legs, & upper chest. I have lost over 30 lbs without changing anything in my diet over the last 5 months. I am now eating high fat to keep from losing more. I get dizzy several times a day. I get bad fatigue & irritability. I have also had several lipomas pop up out of nowhere near my joints shoulder, knee, neck clavicle area, & hips.  I was having pains in my liver area and night sweats but they seem to have faded. (none in 2 weeks)  I have seen 2 different doctors and they have no idea. I have had blood tests, ct scans etc. & nothing. except a shoulder MRI revealed I have a labral seperation, buford complex abnormality, & tore 3 other tendons.  I had no known injury to this shoulder.  Other than the recent issues I was in good health exept for some infertility issues. (No Meds).  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I don't know what to do at this point. I need help.
I'm glad I have found this community. This happened to me this morning.  I have NEVER felt the pain I did.  Right hand, base of the index finger in my palm.  I could see the vein and thought it was about to explode.  I was getting ready for work and putting lotion on my arms.  I'm 45 and I shared this with my mom who's 79.  She stated she has also experienced this for over 20 years.  Her's is at the base of her right thumb leading into her wrist.  She felt it was a combination of stress, hormones and overworked hands.  I can't WAIT to hear what someone finds out.  It's nice to know that I'm not alone!
This just happened to me today for 1st time, and I'm glad to find this site.  Bottom of middle finger.  All of a sudden, could see blue blood, then swelling throughout entire finger.  Felt like it was going to burst, then it lessened.  Thought it was happening to another finger (didn't though) so called doctor.  Nurse indicated she gets them all the time, nothing to worry about, don't know what causes.  My husband said he's also been getting them since he was a teenager, said it felt like a bee-sting, right?  I said no, mine just hurt a bunch.  Now it is not swollen at all, just reddish-bluish.  I guess okay, nurse said not to worry or come in unless I get like two or three a week.  I'm 39, mother of two toddlers, low blood pressure, a little overweight but in good general health.  I did just start drinking more coffee though (two-three cups/day), but, I have been drinking tea for quite some time.
Hugs to all that have been going through the same thing I have! We all know how scared we feel when a vein pops.  I have just had my 3rd pop in 3 years.  

The first was the beesting feeling in my wrist below my right thumb. Ballooned out with burning and then bruising on a big vein there.  I had been lifting heavy boxes at work when it happened.

The second was also at work.  Same beesting feeling and then I saw my ring finger suddenly go purple and feel like it was going to explode..I was doing nothing strenuous at the time.

This last one, I was also at work, just finished doing repetitive hand work for about 45 min...felt the same beesting on my left wrist.  This one was the worst.  A silver dollar size bruise, angry red and swollen twice as big as my other wrist happened. Very painful and immediately iced it. Kept it iced for about 12 hrs and the next morning, the swelling was down a lot.  Now the spot looks about twice as big but the angry red/purple bruising has changed to a light burgandy and a lighter area in the middle.  It looks like a burn or blister now, as the skin texture looks different from the skin around it.

Another weird thing is at my inner elbow area.  Whatever caused this at my wrist also caused symetrical dots of bruising to occur at my inner elbow.  :  :The second set of them a bit farther apart than the first ones and deeper bruising.

I'm post menopausal, 55 heathy, high blood pressure, on Crestor, Altace HTC, Bisoprolol Fumarate, and low dose aspirin...Caltrate plus  can't think of anything else I take, except for drinking a few glasses of homemade red wine and a bottle of Fuze daily.

I hope that with all our input we can all help to put a name to our problem.
Feel better knowing I'm definately not alone. This has started happenign to me recently - I'm 38, slim and healthy. My right index finger, palm side has 'popped' ''blown'' about three times now and can happen from picking up a bag or nothing much. Again you see the bleeding and swelling, followed by the bruising and pain. I then cannot bend my finger for a few days. I seem to experience slight pins and needles up my arm to.
I suffer terribly from cold hands and feet and a slight drop in temperature makes my hands seize up and hurt (Raynauds sydrome I believe). I do suffer from very heavy periods, I am vegetarian so may sometimes have low iron although I eat a healthy diet. I do bruise very easily to.
Maybe this is just old age setting but a few people have mentioned Raynauds now to.
Add yet another one to the list of this happening on a semi-regular basis.  And yes, it is wonderful to know I am not alone with this situation.  
Incredible that this chain has been going on for 3 years!  

I too have the bursting blood vessels in my hands - mostly my fingers, but has happened in the palm of my hand as well.  

Many folks who are posting are thin & athletic... I used to be athletic, but never really "thin" more the muscular type.  Not really athletic anymore as I just don't have the time to work out - wish I did.

Latest burst was last night.  Unscrewing the cap from a bottle of juice & "pop"... index & middle finger "blew" at the first joint from the tip. (Odd to me that they would go at the same time.)  

Immediate swelling & sharp pain (always hurts like a bugger!) for about 5-10 minutes.  Still swollen today and tender... I always find that light "usage" of the finger helps work the tenderness out.

Anyway, ice for the finger(s) & wine for the constitution seems to help me when this happens.  At least that's what I used last night!

I also hope I won't burst one in a vital organ as has been mentioned in a few posts - try to put that thought out of my head.
I cannot say in words how relieved I was to find this forum.  I am 37 years old and in the past week have experienced two bursting events.  After the first, which was in my foot right behind the toe line (anyone else get one in the foot?), I convinced myself it was a bug bite or a hard hit, although I couldn't recall either occuring.  The second happened yesterday on the back of my right hand at the base of the 3rd finger.  The swelling across the 3 center knuckles was so large I thought it would pop right there!  All other symptoms are consistent (felt like a bee sting, itchy pain for a few minutes, bluish color of swelling, leaves a large dark bruise after swelling desists, etc).  I was squeezing a hose nozzle when the 'pop' occurred.

I began to think 'what if this happens in my brain?!?'

I generally have low BP (90/50).  I was diagnosed with Raynaud's as a teenager, but haven't had an episode in years.  I thought this new popping thing might be related, but I couldn't find anything to support the theory.

I do consume a ridiculous amount of caffeine daily (coffee, iced tea, cola) and generally consume an alcoholic beverage at night during the work week.  On weekends/holidays, I might indulge in 2-3 cocktails in the same day.  I also recently began taking a low dose of aspirin at night.

Keep the posts coming!  Eventually we'll isolate a cause/effect relationship.  
well, I had one last night and it was so bad I paged my Doc.  He knows I have this condition and that it happens on a regular basis... few time a months for over 30 years.  I am a healthy female in good shape, not over weight, low blood pressure etc.  My doc just tells me to pack the finger or thumb with ice and elevate.  Last night he said if the pain and swelling continued that I should go to ER and have them ***** my finger to remove the pressure. It felt as if an air pump was attached to my thumb. It seemed to get better has the hours moved on last night, but my thumb is very swollen and B&B from this blood vessel burst.  I found this posting and thought I should
share.  Guess there are a lot of us with this crazy unsolved problem.
I'm a 35 year old female. I've been getting these for about 10 years. I've had more than I could count. They come and go, seems to be no rhyme or reason. Sometimes they just appear, sometimes it's while I'm doing something simple, like picking up my purse. I've had three in the last couple of weeks. One was at the base of my thumb and it hurt like HADES!

I don't have high (or low)  BP, I don't take any meds, rarely even take a tylenol. I do not consume caffeine. I am overweight and get little to no exercise on a regular basis (SAHM with five kids).

The one time I brought it up to a doctor, he told me I got them because I am a redhead.  My husband and sister have also had them but very, very rarely.

They are probably nothing to worry about but it would be nice to know EXACTLY what causes them.
I am a 52 year old female and i have been getting these broken blood vessels on and off for years.  I get them on my fingers and toes.  Tonight it was on my toe.  My daughter who is a RN had no idea why this would happen.  My father who is 83 gets this too and so does my sister in law.  I am so glad to hear that others get it too.  I am thin, athletic with low blood pressure.  I do have low platelets and have a border line low thyroid problem.  Other wise I am in good health.
I am 54 years old, female, have regular below normal blood pressure and have also had this for at least 10 years.   Normally on my fingers but I did have an episode while wearing boots on a rocky surface had a vessel leak on the ball of my foot.   That was the worst - I felt Iike I was walking on a golf ball.   My family doctor at the time said to stay off my foot and elevate it.  I do take aspirin-containing arthritis meds (Mobic) on a daily basis and was told to avoid  taking additional aspirin  products because of blood thinning properties and to eat foods containing vitamin K (spinach is great and fortunately I like it).  

My current family doctor hasn't given me any other clues why this happens or if it is anything to be concerned about.   Still, it is scary and painful when it occurs.
I am a 52 yr. old postmenopausal, unathletic, stressed-out female who has just had her first experience with a popped vein on the right index finger under the knuckle. It happened about a week ago and left a painful, purple bump. I agree that a contributing factor may be caffeine as I had just started drinking two large cups per day. Also, I have been under an unusual amount of stress lately due to divorcing. I do not (yet) take a multivitamin but will now start, especially Vit. C with bioflavinoids as I am sure my C is depleted. I do have frequent nosebleeds. Has anyone ever had one of the lumps go away (palm-side, behind the knuckle on index finger). I hope so because I still cannot bend my finger normally. My doctor said that it is nothing and I should elevate the hand and take ibuprofen.

This has happened to me 3 times in the past week - all on the same finger - so I thought I'd look on the internet.  I don't know whether to be pleased at such a big support community or frustrated that there don't seem to be any solutions for what looks to be a recurring condition.

To add my data to the list: I am a 45 year old female with asthma.  I have low (normal low, not too low) blood pressure and healthy body weight.  I drink 2 strong cups of coffee a day. After looking it up, I'm pretty sure I have Raynaud's.  Same as the rest of you I wasn't doing anything especially strenuous when it happened.

I'm going to try the bioflavinoids  Does anyone have a recommended dosage?  This is great that we all have this thread to compare notes on our weird fingers and help each other with methods to deal with them.
I am so glad I found this forum. I just spent the afternoon in the ER and freaked out. I was afraid there is something seriously wrong with me. Can you loose circulation in the finger from this? It is on my right index finger on the palm side. The numb feeling yet pain is very weird. It is quite swollen and purple.
I am 47 yrs old. 3 yrs since my last chemo for ovarian cancer, slender, low blood pressure, not much of a caffeine drinker. I take Advil for cronic (chronic) pain... I need to really go through and read some of these posts better... I was just so relieved to find all of you!
Thanks to all of you who have posted.  I, too, have had this mysterious bursting of a blood vessel, once at the base of a finger and yesterday, in the middle of my right palm.  I have been vegetarian for most of my life and have had extremely low ferritin levels.  I also have low blood pressure.  Just about 6 mos. ago, I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease, which is strange since I don't eat much junk/fatty food.  I have recently lost 20 lbs. and work out regularly. I also bruise easily and am currently under the worst stress of my life. I think I will also try bioflavinoids to see if they help.
jings...i was googling *burst blood vessels* and came across this site...sunshine set...your first post could have been written by myself...I too had a vessell burst in the doc's surgery and he was amazed and did diddly squat about it!!!...doh!...anyway...I have had one burst in my eye just two weeks ago and that hasn't happened for 15 years...in my eye...i had one pop in my head and it was the most scary, painful thing ever...a hot water bortle to my head was the only pain relief...i am at the moment, waiting for two Docs in Harley Street, London, working out what it is we all seem to be suffering from...i was told that as long as it just popped in my hand and arms an limbs, then there was nothing to worry about...if any popped in my torso (the heart) or my head again...then I was *mince*...cheers...don't you just love the honesty of the medical profession?????
I bookmarked this site a while ago, and then just now popped one in my finger playing Wii. Like others I have low blood pressure but I do not drink caffeine at all. I fear one of these happening in vital organs, as both of my parents died of strokes. I have a friend who is a vascular specialist and if I get any answers from her I will come back and share it here. Good luck everyone! We need to come together to find an answer!
hi again, i have been given a name for this CONDITION  it is called HYPOKALEMIA.
Google this word and it will explain what we all seem to have, then take it from there.
kindest regards
jac
Not much to add, except I too am 47, has happened sporadically for 20 years, have low bp, drink caffeine and alcohol in moderation. Mine usually occur due to mild trauma to palm side of fingers (I do work with my hands). Doctor said to wear work gloves more often, which seems to help. My ruptures tend to happen when I get careless and do something heavy without gloves on. Took 81mg aspirin for a while, but caused nosebleeds, so had to knock that off; no more nose bleeds. The fact that so many people suffer from this malady tells me that it's just part of the human condition. The equipment ages. btw, i looked at a few potassium deficiency  (hypokalemia) sites and could find nothing that relates to ruptured blood vessels.Not sure where jac36 is coming from. Elevation and ice seems to help with discomfort. Oh, and I'm male.
Jac36, Did you google the condition called HYPOKALEMIA? When I did, all the references define it as low Potassium without any references to broken vessels in the hand or anywhere else.

Still searching for answers as I too have been experiencing this a very long time. I thought everyone did.
Hello all!  My 2 1/2 year old son broke out with this wierd rash on his hands.  He has small raised bumps just around his pointer and thumb fingers.  His palms are very blotchy, and the blotchyness comes and goes.  His palms will be blotchy, then pale and vice versa.  Also he has purplish streaks between a few of his fingers on both hands. (the same color as if you squashed your finger and you get those purple splotches)  His are more like scratchy looking streaks.  His hands were fine this morning and we left at 15 to one in the afternoon.  When we got to our destination, I started noticing it.  He did not have them when he had his bath in the morning.

I have been reading the posts and his fingers did not swell up or anything, just blotchy with purple splotches between some fingers between some fingers on both hands.  

I am taking him to the dr. tomorrow, but could anyone tell me if they have seen or experienced anything like this? I also did a search on hypokalemia and there were no symptoms of this sort.  I have Hep C, but he was tested and is not infected.  His pediatrician is excellent, I will hope that she will find the answer or try to find the answer for it.  I will post if anything.

OH!  He also keeps rubbing his palms together like they itch, and benadryl did not help any at all.  I wonder if it was that uncomfortable feeling that many people on this thread have mentioned, numbness or some pain.  He has the development of a child under 2 so he does not speak much.   He has been having what I think are headaches for the past 3 weeks.  Comes and lays his head in my lap holding his head with his hands and says owie.  I hope I can find answers.  Its really disheartening to read that just about everyone here as no diagnosis.

Thank you!

Roni
I also have the same experience and had my worse one happen 2 days ago. I have been experiencing this phenomena since I was a teen and I am now 41. I dont think it is anything that is life threatening, or it is peri-menapausal, or Hep C.
I think it is just an anomoly that is happening to a bunch of us. Just glad to be included in a group that is non-classifiable..at least according to Doctors....LOL.
Hi - Sounds EXActly the same as me. Pain in my finger, and 10 seconds later, popped blood vessel. Big purple / blue spot that goes away in a day or so. BUT - I also get this on my toes ...
Hi Folks!

I just had my first experience with this today - glad to find these posts!  When I first started reading I was thinking, "Well, just chalk it up to yet another symptom of the 40's" (I'm 42), but on reading further, that seems not to be the case!

Also, I differ from seemingly all of you, in that I have high blood pressure, don't exercise or eat right, and smoke and drink...

Probably need to work on that...
Just wanted to say, I think it is kinda irresponsible for lay persons here to diagnose this condition as Hypokalemia, Raynaud's, Hepititis (hepatitis) C, Von Willebrand's, etc.
Freaks people out, y'know?

The kind I get are maybe 1/4 inch, and not painful at all.
I saw my dermatologist yesterday and asked about this.
He said it is a normal function of aging, and no biggie.

I am going to start taking Vit C with bioflavenoids and Vit A.
If anyone else tries Vit. A, be careful not to take mega-doses because the body stores it for a period of time, and you can thus accumulate too much.
Hi All -

Found this site while searching the web for info on this painful condition. It's nice to know there are so many others who have it, too. Nobody I know has ever had it happen to them, so they don't understand. I've had it for about 5 years, and it's usually my thumbs that get sore and bruised, but it happened again today, and this time it was my middle finger - it has a purple bruise the size of a pencil eraser and is very sore to the touch. From past experience, I know it will be sore for a few days and will eventually disappear. Like others, I worry about this happening in my brain - yikes! Hope is stays in my fingertips.
Same symptoms--the vessels usually burst from exerting slight pressure (like squeezing wire cutters).  The finger instantly becomes engorged like a purple sausage with intense throbbing pain.  I am 48, 5'3", 106 lbs., low blood pressure, active runner.  

I've had Raynaud's about 15 years; as soon as cool weather arrives, the fingers start turning white.  The bursting blood vessels started Summer 2007.  I have to carefully watch about exerting pressure--even the steering wheel has caused bursting.  I have a friend who has Raynaud's but does not have this problem; however, her fingers turn blue and her doctor prescribes Viagra.
Well, I'm so relieved to find that I'm not going to die from this condition!  Whew.  This has happened a few times over the past year or two and just like most of you, out of the blue with nothing precipitating it.  I am left-handed and it always occurs to one of the first 3 fingers of my left hand.  Odd.  Funny thing is that although I am left-handed, my right hand is the dominant one.  I am 50 yrs old, petite, thin and very healthy.  Am also premenopausal and type for a living.  When this happens to a person, it can be pretty terrifying.  I mean, you are just sitting there and out of the blue, you feel a stinging sensation, followed by swelling of the finger and you think it's going to burst at any moment!  This happened to me while at work yesterday morning and I couldn't even bend my left index finger afterward.  It is still swollen today and the entire finger is dark blue.  I think I could scare a small child with it because it's so freaky looking!

I agree with a lot of the other posters on here - that this must somehow be related to hormone levels because this seems to affect middle-aged women mostly.

Thanks to all who have posted on here.  I am so glad I found this site!!
Last Thursday morning I got sudden pain and swelling in the underside of my index finger on my right hand. I also had a lot of heat in the finger. The colour changed to dark red, black and blue.It later changed colour un the upper side also. In the afternoon the finger then felt very cold while the remainder of my hand and left had was normal temperature. My GP reffered me to A&E where I was told by the vascular doctor that it was probabbly Blue Finger Syndrome. The doc also told me that it could be caused by extra pressure created by an extra rib (that some people can have) putting pressure on the artery that supplies blood to the hand. I had chest xray to reveal I don't have the extra rib. I had a few blood tests also which showed up nothing negative. I also had ultrasound on both arms and a finger on both hands to check the bloodflow. This test also came back OK. Yesterday a week after the first episode I had another milder episode and I phoned the hospital who saw me again today. I had more blood taken to eliminate other conditions and am due to have a Echocardiogram and ECG in the coming weeks also to eliminate other condtions. The doc is more sure it is Blue Finger Syndrome. It is a condtion that affects mainly women over the age of 35 and usually on the index finger. It can happen several times in the year or maybe never again. I found this article on the following link on the condtion. Doc said they don't know why it happens and it could be a small blood vessel bursting in the finger. There is no test to see if the vessel has burst. As they don't know enough about the condtion there is nothing I can do to prevent it happening. He said it was OK for me to fly. I am a 45 year old female, non smoker, obese female with slightly elevated BP. Doc also said that it dosn't mean that I will have other vascular problems in later life. Like other posts my finger went back to normal colour in 4 days however I had slight discomfort in the underside of my first joint on that index finger. I hope this helps others and you can mention this condtion to your doctors. As I said there is very little known about it and I was also told it was pretty rare. http://www.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/reprint/64-B/4/458.pdf
I'm so glad I found this discussion. I have been getting the feeling of a "bee sting" and then the black and blue in my fingers, toes, palms of my hands and soles of my feet for years.  It started happening frequently in the spring. Once per week but then it hasn't happened since July.  
I went to the doctor who sent me to a rheumatologist who didn't know what it was but listened very politely.  I have Raynauds syndrome, Hashimoto's Hypothyroid and a borderline low platelet count.  I have a slow pulse. I'm thin and a runner.  Reading through these posts is amazing because when I explain to people they don't know what I'm talking about.  I've also experienced as another post describes had the burst vessel in my palm which was black and blue and then a hard marble for 6 weeks.  I feel better knowing this isn't very serious but it still is weird!
Wow!  Just hopped on the net to figure out why in last 3 mo. or so I have been increasingly popping blood vessels.  Just by doing very light work with my hands I will pop a vessel in a finger and even just recently in my foot when I stepped down from standing on a chair.  The pain causes my cheeks to tingle!  I am a healthy 30 female, have always been on the slim side, exercise reg., and have always had normal low blood pressure.  I have been drinking more coffee lately (2 big cups) and I am also hypoglycemic.  From reading all the posts, I think I will cut back on caffeine, start taking a multivitamin, and do some more research.  Thanks everyone for posting, so that I may know I am not the only one!
My experience is the same as reported by others: intense itching, swelling, and discoloration in fingers without apparent cause.  I am different in that I am a 79 year-old woman whose first "blue finger" happened approximately one month ago, and my second a few days ago.  The last one is still rather more black fading to gray than blue.  
I want to thank "Ginso" for the article from the English hospitals on October 23.  I printed it out and will take it with me to my internist, although I'm not expecting any more insight than what has been reported.  I am on a statin drug, currently Pravastatin.  Nobody has mentioned statin drugs, which have potentially some weird side effects.  I also take Synthroid for hypothyroidism, and that's it for drugs.  I plan to check this website often to get updates from those who are pursuing solutions.   I am so glad I found you all.
hi happened to me whilst shopping on wed. Felt it pop in my little finger, it has now briused all over however nurse said as long as finger does not go white or swollen so it cant move everything is ok. It could stay briused until christmas and it is very common especially in toes, fingers and eyes, nothing to worry about. hope this helps from Sarah
Thanks to all of you for your posts, so we new ones know this is more common than we thought. My first experience with this happened this morning. My right ring finger suddenly went numb, began getting black and blue, and I couldn't bend it without feeling pain. I did not feel any "bee sting" sensation...just all of a sudden I couldn't bend my finger without pain.
I'm almost 60, well into menopause, and still get hot flashes. No high blood pressure, or other medical problems. Not on any meds.  Spoke with consulting nurse who immediately told me it was a "spontaneous bursting of a blood vessel". She said pretty much what you all have said already.  It will go away in about 7 to 10 days, sooner if I alternate icing and elevation.  She said to ice it for 20 minutes at least 3 to 4 times a day; and then to elevate the entire arm for 40 minutes, straight up above head without bending at the elbow. The blood needs to flow back to the heart which is the reason for elevation. Bending the arm is like crimping a water hose...it stops the flow.  She said to take NO aspirin or anti-inflammatory pills...Tylenol is ok.
I'm not thrilled to know how often this happens to many of you, but thanks for posting here.  WebMD had nothing.
Hi, I just found this post and it's great to see all the input. I have experienced the pain and bruising since I was about 11 and it comes and goes every few years. When it does happen, I wil have a few burst every few weeks. I have always had very low blood pressure and heavy bleeding during menses and surgery.I also have asthma but am in good health. I will be seeing my Dr. tommorrow and will bring along these suggestions and see what he says.

Thanks!
Hi there,
I've been experiencing this for too many years to remember and like everyone else here, I am so glad to hear other similar stories.  I just wanted to add that I was sent to a geneticist to rule out a disease called Ehlers Dandlos syndrome (i hope I spelled that right).  Ehlers is genetic and several of my relatives have had it in one of it's milder forms.  It is basically a connective/soft tissue (collegen) disorder.  I guess since veins are soft tissue...well anyway, after a skin biopsy the Drs. told me I didn't have the fatal form of Ehlers (Duh!) and that it was nothing to worry about otherwise.  Still no prognosis, no pathology, no ANSWERS.  I am 42, thin and hyper flexible (like a few others mentioned) as well as in reasonably good health without any really bad habits other than an occasional glass of wine.  I do not take asprin or ibuprofin although I do sometimes take tylenol for monthly cramps.  I am going to check this thread from time to time and see if anyone else has any Ehlers connection, maybe someone in your family has super stretchy skin (think Dizzy Gelespie and his puffy cheeks) or is hyperextended through the joints.  BTW, my bursts almost always happen around joint areas ie: finger joints, toes, backs of knees, ankles, elbows etc.  Good luck to each of you and I hope for all of our sake that we can find the answer to this mystery sometime soon.
I am shocked at this long term posting. I'm just another one who hates the feeling of popped veins in the fingers! I can't carry out groceries in plastic bags anymore (which I hate anyway) because I would always get a popped vein. I'm very thankful for the softer, wider, banded recycled bags the stores offer because they feel great and prevent the pain from popped veins.

It's interesting that many women, who are thin,  have low blood pressure, and who drink coffee are having this problem. Count me among them. I don't know if I could give up my coffee.
I too have had this happen in recent years (I'm a healthy 50 year old woman). I drink one latte a day and am not giving that up. These are painful when they first happen and then clear up in a week. My problem now is that I snapped a blood vessel in my finger 4 months ago and it is taking FOREVER to heal. I think something didn't heal back together correctly. It is really tender. It will seem to be getting better and then feel bruised all over again. I am going to try the ice and vitamin C as you suggest. I've had it in a splint for the last week just to make sure I don't put any pressure on it. I really don't want to go to a doctor as we all know it is a waste of time and money for this particular issue. Mine snap if I hold too many plastic grocery bags. I bought a carrier/handle thingy to carry them now.
Yep.  I'm another one.  I am healthy female 50 year old on no meds. who has had veins popping in her fingers for many years and now they have started in the toes.  My Mum gets it too.

When they first started I asked my doctor about it and he gave me  a "I haven't got a clue look" and said it was just something that happens.  Very helpful.

Perhaps we ought to invent a name for this problem and set up a website for fellow sufferers!
OK- I'm sitting here at my desk and all of a sudden I start scratching my ring finger on my left hand. When I look down,I see that my finger (palm side) is all swollen and turning blue. I quickly took off my rings and asked my co-worker if she had ever seen anything like that. She jumped on Gogle and lo and behold, there are a slew of people to whom this has happened. I am 61, take Lipitor and my hands and feet are always freezing- but my blood vessels have never burst! I am grateful that so many folks posted that it eventually went away. Here's hoping.
I get it too and won't go into detail - it's all the same. The first time I wondered if it was "alien implants,"  just because the pain was so weird, and I watch all that funky stuff. But I could tell this time it was a very physical pain starting from inside.

Do you have any of these other symptoms?:
Few or thin moons on your nailbeds? Full half-moons are a sign of healthy circulation.
A too-wide tongue (perhaps with teeth marks), often white and pasty? And a skinny dispoosition? (Spleen issues, which can relate to an inablilty to hold blood in the vessels, according to Ayurveda and Acupuncture-Allopathic tells us it stores plateletes, or blood clotting devices) Others mentioned liver.
Check your ph-level:  get litmus paper from pet stores and check your acidity level. Are you really acidic (lighter greeen)? Wine, sugar, coffee, aspirin - so acidic.
Fibroids in your breasts? (coffee makes them worse)
I bet a lot of us are type a people too. Even short temperedness is given as a symptom of spleen deficiency, but who wants to admit to that? Spleen affects your temperament and willpower.
Do you run things over and over in your mind and even find you are unable to fall asleep because of worry? Even academic pensiveness can put added stress on the spleen if not balanced.
Do  you intake water/liquids in big spurts, on an empty stomach?("Dampness" in the stomach can make it hard for the spleen to do its job, and same with too dry.)
Do your pours get clogged?
Do you get painful charlie-horses in your legs at night?
Eat way too much popcorn and put way too much butter on it? (Kernels can be hard to digest.)
It has always worried me a little that I can eat as much sugar and fat as I do and still weigh 120 or less. Maybe I have been paying in a different way.

I am going to do a serious diet overhaul for the New Year, seriously avoiding sugar, caffeine and "bad" fats. Spleen detox and acupuncture. I feel strongly that I need to fast.

My husband, Dr. Brad Case, tested me for organ health with a nutrition-based Applied Kineseology and spleen came up. That was two weeks before he spoke to his friend and Acupuncturist Ric Valentine about spleen issues. That's when Ric told him to look for a too-wide tongue.

I like the comparing of symptoms and dietary, constitution, habits, etc.

Then again, maybe it's the pole shift.

Also, unformed stools and shortness of breath are indicators of spleen deficiency.
What foods does the spleen love?
Craving sugar. Brings to mind the anemia, and shortness of breath the asthma, others mentioned.
See- one organ affects so much- it that's what it is. I'm going to see the Acupuncturist in an hour and will post when I get back if I find anything helpful.
I used Acupunture one other time after a concussion, and it was amazing. This is different, but we'll see.
OMG am I ever glad I found this site. Happened to me for the first time yesterday, like others, I am healthy am a fitness instructor, run, low BP yada yada... Felt the bee sting and then pain and swelling in my thumb down to the palm of my right hand. Iced, swelling is reduced today, but thumb is really bruised! At least I can bend it now. Thanks for making me feel better and amazing that it is mostly women sufffering this weird ailment.
hey its  normal dnt worry my mom has these things she went to the doctor he told her that its because of the lack of a healthy type of food like veg. nd fruits...etc and because of nervousness so its normal
Is it normal to have serious pain and improperly flowing blood? If so, what does that mean for us as a race?  It is the height of arrogance of  many doctors to say that just because they don't have a surgery or drug to fix it. Or that it is just in people's heads or they are just "sensitive."

If a lot of people are having this mysterious and kind of singular pain, then illness is normal - and it makes it more alarming to me. Kind of like the Autism rates becoming epidemic - is Autism normal just because so many families have been devastated by it?

There was  a famous study known now as Pottenger's Cats. It showed the effects of poorer eating habits (no fresh foods) generationally. In a few generations the cats had all kinds of diseases and infertility. You can find it on the web. Well, it's taken a little longer for us humans because of our life span, but we are what we eat more than we think. People 100 years ago had on average 2 lbs. of sugar per year. These days it's 156 lbs per year. THAT's what's not normal.

I had acupuncture (which helped my back pain, too!) three times. The pain in my thumbs completely went a way as soon as the needles were in and has almost completely subsided now. Maybe it would have anyway. The doctor said things don't get this way overnight and won't completely heal overnight - it's the habit changing that will change a patient. Some people may be more sensitive to things and find they deteriorate faster than others. I have to eat really good foods and get off the sugar and cheese  : (  and any processed and vinegary (alcohol, too) foods to retrain my spleen to make what it needs out of real food, not the cookie it "knows' I will have after dinner.

Apparently Kerrigold is the best butter - or organic. He said be really careful about which butter to use, and for sure only use real butter.

Oh - and I am no longer ever allowed to eat while standing, walking around, or even driving, which I used to do all the time. Spleen does *not* like it!
Count me in - I too have the weird ruptured-vein finger syndrome (RVFS? Popping Disease? Weird Finger Syndrome?) - we really should give it a name, since it seems to have none.

The first time one of my finger veins popped was about 15 years ago. It happens a few times per year, usually on the inside of one of my fingers after  pressure from turning a knob or something, and usually my left hand (although I am right-handed). At first there is MAJOR pain that thankfully goes away after a little while, leaving me with a little blue bump that doesn't always disappear - I have had a couple of them stick around.

I also have what I'm sure is a related problem because it also involves the veins in my palms and inside fingers, and usually my left hand also. Some of the veins in the palm of my left hand have also formed into more permanent and larger blue bumps that temporarily disappear when you push them, a doc told me they are just varicose veins and not to worry, but for the last couple of years I have had one of these big blue bumps on the inside of my left index finger (betw joints) and I can't press it to make it go down - it is always firm, and seems permanent. It doesn't hurt but it scares me.

I'm 55, female, fairly athletic and active, medium weight, and low blood pressure (surprise!). I tend to maintain a very healthy organic diet replete with plenty of green and other colorful veggies, fruits, whole grains, organic eggs, wild salmon etc., plus I take multivitamins. However I do indulge in cheese in chocolate. I am basically healthy except for some mild/occasional asthma plus I'm a little hypothyroid. A naturopathic practitioner recently had me do a test that showed I was iodine deficient and I am now supplementing with kelp. I generally avoid taking meds other than an occasional hit from my albuterol inhaler for asthma, haven't even had an aspirin for years, tho I am now on a script for a low dose of natural thyroid. I drink just one half cup of coffee per day, little or no alcohol and quit smoking several years ago.

I have noticed that in addition to low blood pressure, hypothyroidism seems to be a theme here, as does asthma... hmmm.  BTW someone mentioned their doctor said it was from red hair - I don't know if that was suppose to be joking but I do have red hair, lol.  

Sovereignrose - Interesting about the spleen idea, will check into that. I do have the thin or no moons on several fingers, and possibly a thick tongue -though I'll have to take a look at some other people's tongues for comparison, lol. I get the charlie-horses now and then too, and asthmatic shortness of breath. I wonder if the spleen has any connection to hypothyroidism, which also seems to come up frequently among the "poppers". I think I too will try cutting out the cheese and chocolate and switch to a non-vinegar salad dressing. I agree this can't be normal despite what the docs say. The fact it primarily affects women is probably why there has been no research on this disorder. Not even a name!  

It's amazing that this discussion has been going on since 2006!
I agree that we should name this issue something. I'm not sure doctors take it seriously until there is a big enough group that says "Hey, this is NOT normal."
What kind of name should we pick? Scientific or practical or descriptive? Also, while I've scanned through all the posts (have y'all seen how many we have here) I'm noticing that we appear to all be female. If I've missed the gentlemen's posts, I'm sorry.
I am apparently an average "popper". I'm female, 33, non-smoker, non-drinker, low bp, low cholesterol but slightly overweight, teacher and sure enough those darn little veins pop in my fingers without the least (to my mind) reason. At times it stings and swells to the point that I can't (or won't) bend my finger for a few hours. And it stings when touched for a couple days after...
For those of us who have been here a while, should we try to do a little data gathering? For instance, write down when the pops happen, the location, action before pop (holding something or not, etc), action taken after pop and maybe time of day and whatever else might help. Then we can take the data to our doctors and point them here...
Whew! I googled and googled and finally found this site. l. I had a bee siting pop  in my right hand ring finger 2 days ago while opening a bottle of wine. It  throbbed and swelled, I iced it and it is now a brownish red. Some of the red  (blood not wine) has traveled  down into my hand itself. My son says it looks like  a"gangrene sausage". I am a 58 yo female, thin, healthy with low BP, walk and do yoga, not on any meds. I  have arthritis in my left thumb joint. This  has never happed before. I do drink about 3 cups of coffee a day and have had a lot of chocolate over the holidays. Caffeine seems to be a common thread. Thank you all for your comments.  
Just an FYI regarding most of us being female - after my previous post I noticed that this page is headed "Women's Health Community", so that would likely invalidate any conclusion being drawn from the fact that so many posting on this page are female. Also, at least one post was male, and a few have said they knew males whose fingers have popped too.
Very glad to know I am not alone with this weird blood vessel thing.  I had one yesterday and it was extremely painful, involving lots of swearing and stamping about.  
I am 58, in really bad condition as far as weight is concerned but with good blood pressure, take very little caffeine and no aspirin, walk a fair bit but not enough and have had arthritic trouble for the last few years.  Also Psoriasis and Dupuytren's contracture are a problem.  
I have had the same non-plussed reaction from GPs as everyone else.  I don't think it is irrelevant that most of us are women - perhaps we should call it the Blue Ladies Finger Syndrome?
for the stats;  46 yr female, still in menses, thin, always cold, low blood press, no meds, excellent diet.  2 finger pops this week, last bruised finger was from bopping to the beat on treadmill  frame 2 miles in!  just apply pressure and swelling can be lessened but it will still bruise.  Mom has it too, she's a healthy & 76.

do we have a thesis opportunity here or what?!
http://www.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/reprint/64-B/4/458.pdf

This is an article from 1982 describing our symptoms. I am doing more research so watch this space
Hiya

I am a 40 year old woman with two springers so am incredibly healthy. I do however take medication for high blood pressure. I have had popping blood vessels in two of my fingers palm side for at least 10 years +. My fingers now have lumps where they have bled so often. I have noticed with the last two episodes that they have moved places. One being on the side of my hand and the one today on the top of my ring finger.
I always thought this was related to my blood pressure but after reading you posts, obviously not!
Does anyone suffer with the hands going from sweaty to cold? As this might be related?!
Also I have mentioned numerous times to differnet doctors who just sidestep my remarks.
I'm a bloke and have had two bad episodes of this. (about 6 months apart)
The first in the palm of my left hand and the second in the middle of my right foot.
Doc said the foot thing was gout, until one of my toenails went black (the blood has to go somewhere!)
hi im 53 have had this for about 10 or more years. in fingers palm and bottom foot and the top of foot. bp low weight normal drink hotchocolate have been dx with hughes syndrome thought maybe this was an explanation for them. hughes causes low paltlets and magrines which several of you say you have.Anyone else with that? i also have raynauds. went to a blood doc who never heard of it told me the next time come in so he could see it!!
The first time I was taking slow release aspirin but had stopped that before the second ep because of other issues.
I'll be 40 this March. I can't believe how many ppl experience this same problem. I also smoke regularly, and clean houses regularly. This happens in my fingers, toes and just the other day, the top of my hand, near my wrist. Been going on for some time now. I asked my Mom, and she said you're lacking Vitamin K, which is what a Dr. had told her years ago when she experienced the same thing. Google seems to link to two also. When it happens, first I feel the pain and if I touch the area, it itches real bad, too. Pain - Itch - Simultaneously - Annoying! This happens when I'm gripping or doing something, not just sitting idle for no reason. Right after it happens, the vein is more prominent, but my whole finger does not swell, bruise or bleed; just the vein is more purple. I'll be buying Vitamin K off the internet if it can't be found in Wal-Mart. I've never heard of the actual Vitamin before, but just found it online at several places for sell I'll report back with any news, if it helps or not.
I am 66 years old and have had this problem for most of my life. All the female members of my family have suffered, or are still suffering the same complaint.
I've had all sorts of blood tests that have come back normal. I do have a vitamin D deficiency and am having Vit D jabs every 12 weeks, but that hasn't made any difference to the vein popping.
At the moment I've had a blue marble-like swelling on my middle finger for over a week, and now 2 more visible veins are pinching [bee-stinging] on the same finger - I'm waiting for the explosion! Does anyone else suffer very bad leg cramps too?
I just hope this never happens in a vital organ!
this is such a relief!
I'm 21 and I've been having this problem for a long time. I'm definitely not eating right and I'm a smoker with low blood pressure.
A few days ago another vessel burst in my leg (I'm getting them mostly on my legs nowadays) and it was huge. I could see the tracing of the vein, it was no capillary like in the fingers. I'm glad it doesn't seem to be a symptom of something serious, but could the constant leaking of blood in my legs cause something that will be?

Gonna be keeping an eye on this one. Too lazy to go and see a doctor:D
Hi all - one more 40-something, low blood pressured, asthmatic but otherwise healthy female with a five year or so history of precisely everything described above. Oh, for the record/epidemiologists out there (!), I have had treatment for thyroid disease (overactive in my case) and a family history of auto-immune illness so I'm wondering about that.....??
I am not emotionally disturbed, nor have a history of mental illness (not that there's any shame there, but I'm not convinced passing the painful and disabling symptoms off as of psychogenic origin helps find remedy).
I've been struck by the wealth of reports of people (women) suffering this, that is in direct contrast with the dearth of medical info available (my doctor's reaction when I saw him about it was, "oh, how odd, no I've not come across that before, not sure what might be causing that" and no further comment!

Anyway - the results of my research have turned up:

"Paroxysmal haematoma of the fingers (Achenbach's syndrome)Citation:Hautarzt, 1990, vol./is. 41/5(270-271), 0017-8470Author(s):Stieler W.,Heinze-Werlitz C.Abstract:Paroxysmal haematoma of the fingers (Achenbach's syndrome) is a rarely reported entity. It often occurs spontaneously or subsequent to minor injuries. Because of the sudden onset of intense burning pain and the subsequent development of haematoma, the patients are frequently alarmed. The etiology is still unknown. We report on 3 cases of paroxysmal haematoma of the fingers. The harmless nature of the condition is emphasized."

And these which propose a psychological/emotional underlay:

Autoerythrocyte Sensitization - aka Gardner-Diamond Syndrome
or Psychogenic purpura

I know better than to look for an answer to every medical preoblem, but can't help feeling that there's something being missed here, and like others have noted, can't help but think it's not a Good Thing for one's blood vessels to have such seeming fragility, or alternatively, if the problem is in the blood, for it to flow so easily! While the problems in my fingers resolve in a few days, (usually it takes around 3 days to be back to normal use, (and a few more for them to not be tender) it is both painful, and disabling.

I'll bookmark this page and let you know if I manage to put my (bruised) finger on anything more.

All the best,

Cait
I am a 61 yr old post-menopausal female.  I had blood vessel pops in my twenties and early thirties, then not at all for at least 25 years.   Recently, I have been getting pops in fingers and toes quite often. I have slightly low blood pressure, am active, fairly thin and  in good health.  Since my twenties I have eaten healthy; lots of fruit, veggies, nuts, whole grains, fish, eggs, etc., with little soda or junk food.  Interestingly, in the last few months, since the problem recurred, I have started drinking a latte almost every day.  From what I have read here, I think it is very likely that caffeine is my problem.  I am definitely going to find a new treat!   Thank you for the great info.
That itching part is unbelievable!
The first time really threw me...........
All I could think of was the old wives tale about people with itchy palms going crazy!
I'm a 54 yr old female and also have had the "pops"for years in both hands/fingers. Usually though it was after I banged my hand/finger on something.  TOday however it happened on the inside of my left wrist when I wasn't doing naything. I felt the familiar sting/itch and it swelled up. It's been a few hours and it still hurts. (I swear, doctors are beyond clueless sometimes!) I live with it but I am also concerend like another one that all my blood vessels are this weak. In my heart and brain? Any clues yet?
I am a 37 year old healthy female that was recently told im going through perimenopause.  I've been getting hot flashes constantly and I also sudddenly felt like a bee sting on my middle finger and it started turning blue.  I put ice on it and was concerned because I, too, wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary.  Any suggestions would help.
Hi All -

I am 46 and just recently started experiencing my ring finger on my right hand turning purple and swelling.  The whole thing turns purple.  The first time it got so tight it scared me but the next day it was down.  Everytime I vaccum the house it does it again.  I asked a dr. friend and he mentioned possible benign phenomena called Raynaud's.  A couple of you mentioned this in your post.  I researched it and 80 - 90% of the people this happens to are women.  And it also mentioned Thoracic Syndrome which some of you mentioned having Thyroid issues.  Some of it is aggravated by emotional stress and cold.  Research it.  It sounds like what is happening to a lot of us.  What I am wondering is why doctors don't know what to do with it.

Yes I have had this problem for many many years.  I get the doctors looking at my hands and almost giggle.  I did find out that I have Factor V Leiden which is a blood clotting factor.  I really don't know if there is a connection between the popping hand vessels and the Factor V Leiden.  But it's all I can find right now.  If there is anyone who know if they have the Factor V and this popping vessel thing let me know.

Finally, as others relief that it seems more common! It's not just me. I also have "a no idea experience" with numerous doctors.
I have had this all my life but is has become slightly more frequent in the last decade.
Other common threads, relatively healthy people, many women with no other obvious symptoms. Maybe a tendency to heavy nosebleeds and heavy periods and anaemia. Any one had problems after child birth or other vascular issues ? Weak vein leg valves, varicouse veins or thrombus in the leg? Interestingly a report on the BBC last month about the recognition of a potentially dangerous undiagnosed condition relating to bleeding and blood loss http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8458455.stm (this is Von williebrands)- now in most cases this is unlikely but maybe given the commonality of hand bursts theres something more in it maybe a subtype of VWB type 1 - but who knows not me for sure.
However it does appear to increase with age. Me? 53 yr old female, healthy, low weight, reasonably good diet. Possibly too much tea drunk. Therefore could it be either genetic or related to too much diuretic intake and loss of micro nutrients?
This might indicate a genetic link to a shortage of a particular mineral or metal and consequently poor tissue which in the hands may be stressed more through general use.My bursts are quite random, very painfaul but usually short lived. This I think is different from the major finger swelling types. That maybe a different condition. However pill popping is something that is very complicated to be effective.

My only concern is the other organ issue. My father died of vascular dementia aged 93.  I believe I have similar characteristics to him he had burst veins but far less frequently than me. In his decline he definately had bad foggy days and one knew another bleed had taken place. I dont believe asprin will help if anything it may promote bleeding and be causal. Very occaisionally I feel the same just a bit foggy but it usually clears after a day. But I would be pleased with 93.

Most things are fairly simple in cause and effect we tend to look for complicated reasons and persuade ourselves of the link. Belief is everything. In reality analysis can be very difficult.
Perhaps it is an unfortunate side effect of some of the other beneficial symtoms (symptoms) we had such as low blood pressure, not quite enough fat.
Has anyone heard about any benefit from eating walnuts on vascular tissue elasticity or condition?
OK.. One more for the list. I am 39, no health issues. Have been dealing with hand/finger blood vessels bursting for years. Just had it happen again, so I thought I would look it up online and found this site.

As with everyone else, I feel a tingle or sometimes a sharp "bee sting" like pain and then the area discolors and swells slightly. The activity I do doesn't seem to be a factor. Sometimes I'm doing nothing but watching television, other times heavy activity.

I suffer from no health issues. No high blood pressure, no meds. No strange diets. I am not allergic to anything.

I have never had it happen to any part of my body other than wrist, hand and fingers. And it always happens to a joint. Never anywhere else on my body.

After seeing how many people have this happen, I begin to wonder why the medical field doesn't take this seriously? Is it just something that is ignored like the "common cold?"
I am now being tested for various underlying diseases. Vasal spasms may be caused by other diseases. I will keep you posted as I work at a medical teaching hospital and have many researching my situation.
To all of you out there please share with your Drs, hardly anyone knows about this.
The condition is called Achenbach Syndrome (after the German Dr.
who first described it many years ago).
I am an Internist who had this happen over 20 years ago while at work.
I showed my finger to a dermatologist colleague who knew right away what it was.
There is not a lot written about it but there is no evidence thus far that it is harmfull (other than temporary pain) or that it is associated with any disease.
I am now  63 years old and so far so good.
So do not worry and please share.
thank you all for sharing.  I also have been searching for answers. I think  this would be a great research project for someone since I do get a feel that there are similarities in the histories. I am a very healthy 55 yr old female with MS. I have a thin to medium build, low blood pressure, eat generally healthy, don''t smoke and keep active. I usually drink a lot of tea but about two months ago started drinking coffee (2-4 strong cups a day).  Three - four days ago  my skin began to get itchy. Then with no precipitating injury, I got a severe pain in my index finger. It looked blanched and raised over the focal point of pain.  Then the spreading bruise.  This was not the first time as with a lot of us. I've had it happen to my toes, left hand thumb area, ring finger, index finger, foot.  Very painful. I am glad to see there is a name Achenbach syndrome - although I find it hard to believe that it's rare after looking at this site!
I'm 24 and i just got 4 inflamed mid-finger joints on my right hand. I can clench my fist and I have had a blood test which has turned out to be all normal hence the doc has emilinated the possibility of any arthritic condition. I  don't take any regular medication apart from iron tablets from time to time, the odd paracetamol.

My doc seems to think my hands got too cold and my vessels have burst causing the inflammation. So i have fat fingers (have had for a week now) that get agitated if i use the hand too much. I have NO BRUISING though.

I've hardly been walking outdoors due to recent foot injury and besides temperatures are not that bad at the moment capared to Dec/Jan. The only thing i can think of that may have been cold exposure is washing dishes in cold water. But if so I am confused why only 1 hand?! - So i'm questioning whether the inflammation is infact something other than burst vessels or is my case normal?
I thought it strange too as mine only occurs on my left side (so far) but in both my hand and foot.
I am glad I found this web site and thought maybe we can solve our own questions about what is causing us to have these spontaneous ruptures of our blood vessels if we all share some specific facts about ourselves and our health. Hopefully a common denominator will appear.  I am a 45 year old women.  I am 5'6" 118lbs..  I work out 5+ days a week.  One hour cardio - one hour weights per day.  I have been diagnosed with low blood pressure, reactive hypoglycemia and raynauds phenomeneon.   I also get tendonitus of my ankles and knees quite easily.  I feel hormonal fluctuations play an important role in my health and how I feel.  I saw a compounding pharmacists about four years ago  when I was having severe unexplained pain in my legs for help when no one in conventional medicine seemed to have an answer.  He perscribed bio-identical progesterone and T3 (for low thyroid)  which has hepled tremendously.  However I still occaisonally have these ruptures.  Looking forward to hearing from you and if any of this sounds familiar.
my god it is so good to see it happens to others.  Years ago I only had them in my fingers then they stopped but recently i had a very large one on the inside of my wrist and just this week an even bigger one on my palm which extended to most of my hand and was very painful, i watched it swell extremely large and then popped and turned black.  I too worry about them happening in my head or heart as it cant be good.  They always seem to come when I am physically unwell to the extreme which i am at the moment.  I am getting my thyroid and parathryoid checked but have been to 5 gp's recently to get any answers to my illnesses.  I am not sure but maybe they are associated with calcium levels in the blood, just something that my latest GP is researching.  I have also been accused of being battered at home, until I said I lived alone!!!!!  They are frustrating and I cant believe that with everyone on here who suffers from them that some doctor doesnt know what they are.  I was so relieved to find this website, thankyou everybody
my god it is so good to see it happens to others.  Years ago I only had them in my fingers then they stopped but recently i had a very large one on the inside of my wrist and just this week an even bigger one on my palm which extended to most of my hand and was very painful, i watched it swell extremely large and then popped and turned black.  I too worry about them happening in my head or heart as it cant be good.  They always seem to come when I am physically unwell to the extreme which i am at the moment.  I am getting my thyroid and parathryoid checked but have been to 5 gp's recently to get any answers to my illnesses.  I am not sure but maybe they are associated with calcium levels in the blood, just something that my latest GP is researching.  I have also been accused of being battered at home, until I said I lived alone!!!!!  They are frustrating and I cant believe that with everyone on here who suffers from them that some doctor doesnt know what they are.
I haven't got any bruising (and i am someone who bruises easily) which makes me think that surely if my circulation in my hands is poor(which it is since birth), and if my blood vessels had burst, there would be some trace from bruising?

Anyways, on good news, despite the fact my 4 fingers remained inflamed continuously for 2 weeks, it's going away now i think! No ideas how though! So it would still be good to know the cause in order to prevent it re-ocurring!

(400mg Ibuprofen (the bright pink ones) to keep the inflammation down (as recommended by my doc) did not really work so i only took them occassionally as a consolation incase it would work when the inflammation got irritating and really bad.)  
I'm also curious as to how long it takes for other people for the inflammation to go away? In eaxactly 2 weeks since full inflammation I feel totally cured. (my doctor predicted 4-6weeks) .... More interestingly is how the cure has not been progressive but merely over 2.5 days inflammation is gone totally. No medication or extras to make it happen that way.  
I am 32 and have had pain in my bones and joints for the past 2 years but have not had med. ins. to be diagnosed with arthritis or osteoperosis which I have narrowed it down to. So all day today when I was getting sharp pains (but yeah kinda itching too) in my hands and feet today I assumed it was a new more intense arthritis type pain but in the evening when I was on computer I felt a weird sensation in my left hand looked down and inbetween my index and thumb it looked like a turquoise spider web and I assumed a vein popped because the intense burst which made me look at my hand kinda actually felt like vein popped. Then was getting worried because I have heard of internal bleeding and other urban legends about veins/blood related death type things and had no idea what to do so of course I ended up here too, lol. I know there are billions of  common body abnormalities but am tired and frustated at the lack of compasion from the medical community and dismissing unknown actual patient conditions misdiaganosing people as psychotic or dillusional, who is dilusional???? I just dont get why they feel they are immune to the same ailments we are experiencing....or are they already vaccinated and do know what we probably have or got exposed to but dont.
At the end of the day who do you have - yourself, so I guess again we are on our own to try and fix us.  Anyone who wants to play keep the popping veins away....my suggestion is that we should all keep daily journals of any changes we make concerning vitamins, prescriptions, medical "supposed"  diagnosed conditions. If we want to be very accurate food eaten, sleep, mood (environment changes-weather or even work/home life changes wathcing for stress, etc.). Who will compile, how and what to do with the journals during and after research I have no idea that is too much work for me I'm just the idea person, lol. What I noticed from reading this blog is that there are some repeated simmilarities between us. I saw who had low blood pressure, thin build, have taken asprin recently, some poss type of thyroid issue, but more differences than simmilarities like we all vary in age and I don't think its related to menopause or birth control. I have been on Depo-Provera for 18 years and am finding out more and more every day of the possible side effects they didn't know then but found out as like me after my bone (or lack of) damage was already done (poss. side effects, lol).  I dont know if this is even related or just another weird body things but I sometimes notice splinters under my fingernails but like they are growing out because I would/should know if I actually got a splinter stuck in my nail. It doesnt ever hurt just works its way out n is gone. I do alot of manual labor and related them together but after today......I am wondering (this may be totally just a crazy idea) but these are the ideas we need to write down that maybe our veins are popping from spinters or glass (I think I heard once splinters can cut your veins??? any1 else think its possible?). I am still baffled with the whole low BP thing because I would assume our veins should be thinner---so they burst if we have normal BP our veins cant handle it???? I am very malnutritioned and drink at least a 6 pack of beer a day, I smoke a pack of cigs a day, just a party chick so I'm sure if I added some more vitamins it couldnt hurt but I've never been much of a pill popper that is why I was on Depo, I cant remember to take pills. Other than bad habits I have no other known conditions besides as I said poss arthritis, osteoperosis, and I do get seasonal allergies. Thyroid probs run in some of the women in my family but have never had it checked and have no way of finding out unless something would force me to be desperate enough to waste my time and money on a crackpot callin me black (dillusional, crazy, depressed or whatever floats their boat that day), lol.  I hope you figure it out I am not good at following up so I'm not gonna play but for those of you who do thanks for tryin to do something to figure this out.  **** it could be as simple as we all drink 2%milk or something that causes vein rupture??? Good luck and peace out.
I have been having these for a few years now..random and out of the blue like today when my middle finger of my right hand is gone black and blue and it hurts.
I had the whole blood tests done recently, nothing wrong including all forms of hepatitis, the only raised value was GGT that could be due to diet or drinking.
My BP is average and, although I am not the picture of health, I would say I am average. I too have been worried about it happening elsewhere more important...The only thing from these posts I can gather is generally age (seems to affect more people above 30) and perhaps some people taking certain kinds of painkillers and medication + stress. I will try to keep note to see if they happen closer to my period for example and see..am glad ma not alone...not easy to find any info on this on the web and this is the first forum I found with some decent comments!
I had the same thing happen on my pinky finger on my right hand last night.  I'm 27...just went in the backyard to pick up some tiny things I had painted earlier in the day and felt a burning heat on my finger.  I thought I was bit by something at first but realized there was nothing on my hand or near me.  I walked inside the house and saw my finger was swelling and a blue hue was spreading under my sking.  It felt super hot and stung.

My dad, who is 71, said he has experience it too several times in his life.  He said he's asked his doctor but never got a real reason for it.  It usually happens to his fingers too.  I was so surprised I couldn't believe it.  Today it just appears to be bruised.  We were both concerned about something like this resulting in a clot...stoke...etc.

Very odd indeed!
I am female, 42, low blood pressure, drink no coffee or caffeine, and I burst a blood vessel in my index finger.  It hasn't healed in over 2 months.  Just a blue lump that is a little tender.  Not as tender as when it first burst, but still tender.  I told my doctor about it at a check up, and he said it was normal to happen there and it would heal.  I am still waiting!

I too have had this for several years in my hands and feet. I'm a 48-year-old female in good health. Usually it happens inside my knuckles, but yesterday out running, on the ball of my foot. I've asked several doctors who just shrug and look at me as if I'm nuts. I've never had any testing done, have generally low blood pressure. I occasionally google this and this is the most focused site I've seen on the matter. Over the years, I do think I have noticed a link between this happening and my having taken ibuprofen in recent days, usually more than just one dose. I appreciate all the comments so far.
I have poor circulation in my hands. This has been so since i was born but i never looked at is as defect or somethign that bothered me....... It was more like "i have cold hands, i can't change that"..... It has become more apparent to me now that my right hand fingers get substantially colder than my left hence probably why my problem is only occuring in my right hand at the minute. The doc told me atheletes get "chilblains" in the winter and this is what i have. My only concern is that i have survived colder days. The past month the temperature is not as low as it was during christmas and new years here in Edinburgh so what has suddenly changed in my body to cause this at this point in time?!
This just happened to me in the last week.  The first time I ignored it and the second time (a few days later) I decided I needed to investigate and found this site.  For me at least I think the aspirin is what caused it.  I don't normally take any but in the last two weeks I have taken Tylenol PM a few times to help me sleep.  So I will not take that anymore and see what happens.  
I am 34 and have been doing a lot of work on our house (renovation). Since using heavy machinery and drills, I seem to have more episodes of popping veins in my finger (particular my right hand middle finger - which is the "trigger finger" for a lot of power tools).

I guess  -looking at the above comments. This condition is fairly harmless.
Agree with Ginso: Blue Finger Syndrome...
Also known as "Paroxysmal finger hematoma" - google it!
Or look here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2373612
Synonymous with
Paroxysmal finger hematoma:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MaDJ6nlaQKYC&pg=PA327&lpg=PA327&dq=Paroxysmal+finger+hematoma&source=bl&ots=6ysU5vDCNZ&sig=-Q4C-GzaJYqEMkIkhpsfdzHtAmQ&hl=en&ei=oZynS5qLE9S5jAesjfV5&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Paroxysmal%20finger%20hematoma&f=false

Not to worry too much - or else your hair will start to turn white as well - like mine :)
I am a healthy 48 year old female and I have been having incidents of popped vessels in my fingers identical to those described many times above.  Last week one went in the middle of the back of my hand which ended up being lightly bruised and tender and another in my thigh.  I have been to the doctor and been tested before with no real answers.  He's not concerned and thinks it's fairly common, though did suggest a possible link with thyroid problems (for which I am now being tested).  I have a history of post natal hemorrhaging and my daughter had a episode of extremely low platelets resulting in bruising all over her body when she was young for which the specialists never found a cause.  I'm not sure if any of this is linked but I guess it helps to try and see the complete picture.  While a little disturbed when the popping occurs I am happy to accept my doctors reassurances that though its doesn't seem to be well understood or documented for whatever reason its not something that happens in the brain.  
This is probably not what most of you want to hear........

I look at it as the solace of knowing rather than being in denial........

I visited my doctor yesterday after 6 weeks of me first getting alarmed that I had swollen fingers obviously caused by something....

I was told yesterday that i have "Reynauds" - a life long condition which i can only prevent by keeping my hands and feet warm. I asked why it has happened at a milder time of year and his response was "it just happens, just like that". I can take drugs to control it but he said it will make me flush quite a bit and i would have to take 1 x day. At the minute I have kept the condition at bay by never leaving the house without gloves and always wearing wooly socks as I think it affects my feet too. I need to give my body a chance to fight.    

I came home to research the condition:

http://www.raynauds.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=84&Itemid=191

Treatments
A doctor may prescribe drugs called vasodilators if your condition gets worse. There are many drugs in this category which work by opening up or relaxing the blood vessels. It is important for you to understand your own problems and to work out ways of coping with them. If you have a mild form of Raynaud’s, your doctor may suggest that you simply wear warm clothing, protect yourself from the cold and avoid changes in temperature rather than taking drugs.

TV presenter Jenni Falconer
she suffers from a circulatory condition that means just a gust of wind can temporarily cut off circulation to her fingers and feet, causing agonising pain
Jenni first noticed symptoms of the condition when she was 16. “I was at school and my right index finger became so numb I couldn’t control my pen”, she says. “It turned white, then bright red and was really painful.”
Jenni suffers from primary Raynaud’s. “The doctor said that there’s sometimes a hereditary link, but no one in my family has it”, she says. “There’s also no cure and, although medication to manage the condition is available, I don’t take it because it can cause migraines - which I already suffer with - and blood clots.”
Since her diagnosis, Jenni’s condition has worsened. “It’s gone from something that was freaky but didn’t bother me to something that affects all my fingers, toes and even my feet”, she says. “My feet can get so numb that I feel they’re like china and could shatter if I walk on them. When the blood starts flowing again it’s so painful, like someone is stabbing me with cocktail sticks.”
  I have had the small vessels rupture on the fingers and feet with no injury; have explained to doctors with them shrugging and saying that I should see a blood disorder specialist.  But I have had a lot of blood tests done to check for clotting factors, anemia, etc and it always comes back normal.  One common theme for almost everyone on this thread seems to be low-blood pressure and thin or athletic build?  
Something that really seems to help me is taking a vitamin C supplement about 4 times per day with added bioflavinoids (so total about 1,500 mg.s of c).  Vitamin c and bioflavinoids help strengthen collagen and elastin, and therefore would make vessels stronger.  I personally think it is caused by weakened blood vessels either from an underlying collagen disorder (Ehelers-danlos is one, and I have this genetic disease), or possibly some other problem that would weaken connective tissue?
I hope this helps!
i have delt with this same issue for 3 months it is very painful and occors in my fingers palms and toes. my dr. does not know exactly what it is. some vessel popping is normal but when it leads to swelling dizziness or other seroius symptoms it my be more complicated. i am keeping a log of each time this occars and any other symptoms i experiance such as head ache nose bleeds ect. my dr. says this will be useful in determining weather i am suffering something more complicated then just old vessels
Note that there are primary and secondary forms of Raynauds..... the latter related to other illnesses
I've found this site because Ive just had the third pop in about 2 weeks. Something has changed in my body chemistry.I had been taking Ibuprofen but stopped after the first pop. Anyway - I remember reading about PINE BARK as a supplement and its effect on capillaries. Here is some info I found on the net:
Healthy Capillaries Through Healthy Collagen

A major beneficiary of the protective actions of Pycnogenol® is collagen, the most abundant protein in the body. Collagen is responsible for maintaining the integrity of "ground substance," the basic materi al in functional fluids, mucus linings, and connective tissue such as tendons, ligaments, cartilage, and most importantly, blood vessel lining. Collagen is highly vulner able to free radical attack, and a number of discomforting and depreciating processes are associated with its destruction. There is evidence showing that Pycnogenol® can provide remarkable support for the prevention of collagen destruction, and Pycnogenol® has received much attention for its special affinity for cap illaries, the smallest blood vessels.

Pycnogenol® helps strengthen capillary linings in three key ways. First, Pycnogenol® functions to scavenge the free radicals that may compromise the integrity of collagen. Second, Pycnogenol® contains catechin, which is thought to stabilize collagen by forming hydrogen bonds and cross-linking collagen. Third, Pycnogenol® is Vitamin C-sparing, meaning it can fill in for vitamin C in a number of functions; this frees some Vitamin C - required for the synthesis of hydroxproline, a major structural amino acid of col lagen - for use in building collagen.

I will look into other effects and then try it. Hope this is helpful.
This happened to me on an airplane - I was doing nothing, just sitting in my seat, watching the movie.  Intense, building pain, then the "pop", and a blue blood blister formed at the base of my finger.  Elevation and ice helped, but it took about a week for the bruise to go away

Since this was a "medical incident" on an airplane, I was grounded until I could get medical clearance to fly again - and I was about to get onto a connecting flight, so I was stranded in a strange city, having to find a local doctor to see me and fill in forms for the airline to let me get back on a plane and get to my destination.  I saw two doctors that day - one on the plane (fellow passenger) and one on the ground - and neither had a clue, but both said not to worry about it.  It took 14 hours for me to reach my destination.  At least now I know that if it happens again on a plane, I'll just keep quiet and not get myself blacklisted from flying again!

I did feel that the cabin pressure was unusual that flight, not like it normally is.  I fly about once a year, and it's never felt like that before, and never happened before either.  I'm 42, female, vegetarian for 16 years, relatively fit, no meds (not even aspirin or vitamins), never smoked, rarely drink alcohol, no family history, though my mother had Reynauds in her hands.

Cabin pressure, blood pressure, exercise-induced pressure, grip pressure, stress?  Add these things to weak vessels and we have a winner!  I think I'm going to try Bioflavinoids and Vitamins - worth a try, can't hurt.
I have the finger bruising thing and FVL as well.  
I'm sensing a link here between thyroid, caffeine, and calcium. It was interesting to google this. I had a pop the other day. I'm 49 and noticed my hair becoming a bit more course and straight.  Have been having pains in my hips at night and wondering about my calcium levels.  I drink quite a bit of tea and eat chocolate on a regular basis.  I am overweight and not very active.  My blood pressure is ok.  I have a bit of insulin resistance but not too bad. I went through stages of the veins popping about 10 years ago.  I don't get them as much now.I had been having some headaches before the last pop and took panadol and disprin.  A health lady suggested I take fish oils to increase the elasticity of the blood vessels.
I can't believe this thread is still going - but glad it is. Has anyone who posted earlier found a proper diagnosis and/ or treatment yet?
For the anecdotal stats that seem to be accumulating here:
I am 46 year old woman, low blood pressure, regular blood donor, vegetarian, non smoker, non drinker, no coffee, some cola. Only medical change in the last six months has been sudden onset of heavy and extended periods (surgically investigated and diagnosed as "dysfunctional uterine bleeding" - great help that was!).
Symptoms: sudden "bee sting" feeling in top joint of right index finger (I am right handed), followed immediately with acute swelling of top segment of finger, followed by sudden dramatic blue bruise to top joint, gradually dispersing to top two segments of finger during the day . At the time I had just started the car and my right hand was resting on (but not gripping) the steering wheel.
Doctor said it was a ruptured blood vessel ("like you get in your eye," she said) and recommended elevation and ice. This reduced the swelling over about 24 hours but am still experiencing occasional sharp beesting pain deep inside the finger tip, and the first and second segment of finger remain purple.
Like others I worry about this happening in a more important blood vessel or organ.
Hoping some of the earlier posters will return with their solutions sometime!
Hi, I was really interested to read the posts about the bruising on the finger joints having had it happen for the last couple of years. It was good to see I'm definitely not the only one with this problem!

Interestingly I also have Reynards (my mum has it too). The Reynards has really kicked over the last two/three years (my mum also had it start at this age).

I had a bruise appear today on my 1st knuckle right hand, the most painful one yet. It was from just grasping a door handle at work. I find I get it quite often when I'm washing up - just a slight knock or if I pick something up 'wrong' I feel it happen. Like others have said, I get the warm itchy feeling and I know straight away 'oh no, it's happened again', and it can be quite uncomfortable.

The one today went really tight and I couldn't bend my finger. I get them in my right hand - I think this is due to the fact that I'm right handed so more likely to be reaching for door handles/picking things up with this hand!

I'm a 37 UK woman, very healthy (apart from asthma but that's well controlled. And the Reynards!), run marathons, and don't really consume much caffeine. I think I might go to my GP and see what advice he can offer. I might try Vitamin C - I already take a load of supplements to help with my running but don't currently take Vit C.

Thanks to everyone for posting and sharing their experiences :)
Jill
I have been dealing with this for about 20 years, usually about once a year.  Same pain and swelling/stiffness/bruising as the other examples. Now that I am 40 it seems to happen about every other month.  I do have anemia and in the last year it has turned severe to where I had to have a blood transfusion.  I have normal blood pressure.  I started getting a little worried when I began getting them more often and in places other than my hands.  I thought "what if this happened in my head or neck?" My doctor spent hours trying to find an answer for me and came up empty.  I did get a blood test to see if I had a blood disorder, which I came up negative.  I do take a lot of Advil for migraines.  I may try the Vitamin C suggestion...
Glad I found this site; it's nice to know I'm not the only one! :)

I'm only 21 and I just had a finger-vein-popping episode yesterday evening; it's still a little bruised and numb.
I remember this happening a couple of times when I was little (in elementary school).

My weight, size, and body shape are pretty average, I am fairly healthy, I'm not on any medications, I don't smoke or drink alcohol or drink large amounts of coffee, my blood pressure is normal...

I do have poor circulation in my hands and feet; I've always had that problem. I don't know if circulation has anything to do with it, but I thought it might be important to mention.

Anyway, it doesn't seem too serious, so I guess I'm not going to worry about it too much.

:)
There are no answer to this! Our Medicine is in the darkness, on the shamanism level. I'm a doctor and sometimes you only can treat a symptoms. I have it on my foot for two years now and the same spot again and again. I thing it is combination of reasons. It could be metabolic and hormonal changes, stress and genetically weak vessel' walls and thinning of the blood. There are no diagnosis for it. It may be a symptom of many disorders and conditions. In my case premenopausal hormonal shift, high  level of physical activity and low level of folic acid. So to speak if something  stressful had happened I have a giant hemorrhage on my foot!
i've had popping vessels as long as i can remember. these new boots i got - when i tie the laces, my fingers have to work hard, and that's bringing on the bursting, bruising. a medical friend thinks my body lacks nitrous oxide whose precursor is arginine - that my blood vessels are not flexible enough, therefore break easily. i hesitate to take arginine because i have herpes and that multiplies the herpes cells. i'm so used to the bruising i've never even brought it to a doctor. always had bigger issues, and the bruising always heals. i'm 60. rachel.
so relieve to have found this site.  was concerned when my left middle finger bruised up suddenly.  I am left handed and been on the computer for long hours and left hand on the mouse.  left side of my back has been aching for a week.  down with a terrible cough, had a bad reaction from a very strong cough mixture yesterday.  my heart was pulsating fast and furious 4 hours after consuming it, have stopped the medication.  so the bruised finger all the negative thoughts popped up as ugly as the finger.  could it be stroke, high blood pressure,....

I am 39 with 2 kids, busy work schedule, slightly overweight, has not been exercising for the past 6months.  I do bruised easily but blue popping and numb finger 1st time.   In any case -up call for me to keep healthy.   Within 2 hours my affected finger is almost normal with a tint of numbness and redness, no longer blue. ;)  Thank you all for letting me know I am not alone.  And it can be "common".
I have the same exact thing that you all have explained. Lately for me it seems to be getting worse, for instance, I am having the bee sting, and burning pains and then it doesnt pop. After the pop it feels much better, Have it in my feet, toes, arches, fingers, palms, ouch.....
Glad to know others have this problem. No one knows what it is.

I am 50 and have taught group exercise for 27 yrs. healthy as can be.

Weird, count me in if anyone finds any answers.
Hi I am 46yrs old and I too have had this symptom for over 25yrs.
It happens irregularly but lately I have experienced two pops in the fingers one in the shin and one in the eye over a month.
I have increased my training so I thought that may be the cause of pushing myself too much. I have taken vit c and am interested in a previous comment of pine bark.
My Dr also said nothing to worry about. I was also wondering if our blood types are the same. I have RH O neg .
I agree it would be nice to have a name for this and a proper explaination so as I know Im not aggravating this condition with my training. .
So how many of you have low blood pressure?  Mine is 90/70.  This may be the link!  

I set up a survey to gather the info on BP and location of the hematoma
Here's the link, please feel free to participate.  It looks as though you'll need to cut & paste
http://xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx

I just got one in the middle finger of the right hand and about 4 weeks ago got one at my little toe on the right foot.
This has been happening to me now and then as well, but just didn't think much of it.  I am 41, BP runs normal to the normal/high range.  Always occured in my hands with the pressure, the bee sting pain, followed by swelling and bruising with itchiness.  Today while outside, just walking around the yard, I got the bee sting feeling on the inner aspect of my right ankle.  it swelled up to about a quarter size lump and is blue and hard.  The worst one so far.  I do have varicose veins in my legs and wonder if its related.  But still, to get it in my hands too.  I'm just curious.  I have been taking Motrin forever for headaches and I am on a med that has side effects to the liver.  It started before taking the med however.  I'm stumped.
I am 59 year female, on my weight, never smoked, low blood pressure and in good health to my knowledge. I too have had vains in my fingers to pop over the years, feels like a bee sting then swells and turns blue. Then today a vain in my little toe popped. I am being treated for vitamin D deficiency,  which my  rheumatologist found. I am seeing the rheumatologist  due to high ANA levels in the blood. Having a high ANA is a symptom of  Raynaud's syndrome.

An antinuclear antibody (ANA) test measures the amount and pattern of antibodies in your blood that work against your own body (autoimmune disorder).

A positive ANA test may be caused by:
Rheumatoid arthritis. .
Systemic lupus .......
Sjögren's syndrome.
Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.
Polymyositis.
Raynaud's syndrome

Autoimmune diseases of other organs. Examples include:
Addison's disease.
Diseases of the blood cells, such as vitamin B12 deficiency, idiopathic thrombocytopenia (ITP), and hemolytic anemia.
Liver disease, such as hepatitis.
Thyroid disease,

I hope this has helped.
Chalk me up to another person with sudden, unexplained bruises on the palms of the hand, or knuckles. Does anyone here have (tiny) cherry hemangiomas? I'm suspecting weak veins. (Bioflavonoids with lots of Vitamin C could help...)
One bit of data to add to our mystery.  At the age of 48, I was just put on birth control pills for prolonged bleeding and spotting (perimenopause).  I have had the poppers in the past, but not for about 2 years.  Lo and behold, I had 2 yesterday in my toes.  Also an increase in headaches this month.  I am attributing this to the increase in estrogen in the pill I am on (YAZ)  When I was getting them before, I did notice a trend with my menstral cycle, so pay attention to this to see if it tracks.  hormones can certainly affect how warm you tend to be, how warm your hands and feet are, etc.  I did recently have my thyroid checked and it was fine.  

Also, my sister gets these and I know that she is vitamin D deficient.  I have not been checked.  She also has thyroid issues.

Seems to me there are some common links here.
I have had this same thing happen for many years on occation and as many as 3 in a few days on the fingers.  I have also had it to happen in my toes and eyes. Never considered the eyes to be connected until I read all the above posts. That, I have had looked at.  Could be caused by a sneeze, turn head to fast or serge in BP. I have been treated for high blood pressure for about 30 yrs due to having toxicemeia with my last child. I've asked my internist about this and he says nothing to worry about. My daughter, a nurse, thinks it could be prolonged HBP that has effected the small vessels in the extremidies. Still do not have an answer. Had one to pop in ring finger of right hand 4 days ago.  Bruise has disappered, but I still cannot get my ring on that finger.  I do have other health problems such as low thyroid. Sure hope someone will find an answer for us.
I am a 33 yr old female who is very active, healthy & has a well balanced diet.
My blood vessels have been rupturing in my palms/fingers for a few yrs now (just had it happen in the middle of my middle finger 2 days ago). It really seems to happen for no apparent reason.

My finger tips & my toes get numb rather often (for instance its about 54 degrees in my house & all of my fingertips went numb; i put on a pair of gloves and its slowly getting back to normal.

I also get migraines!

I wonder if all of this is correlated...
This is amazing. I've had this syndrome for 32 years. I'm 70 and right after my son was born it started. I was walking across a room, no trauma. I have found one or two doctors who knew what it was (said "it hurts like heck doesn't it")& said it was harmless. I have even had it happen on my toes a few times. I'm in pretty good health but do have treated high blood pressure. I stopped wearing rings because of it. I'd love to have a cause for it.
I have had a vein which "pops" from time to time in my ring finger for years.  Possibly that was the first because of the pressure of the rings.  Generally speaking, I could experience the phenomenon once or twice a year.

I am now nearly 41 and in two weeks burst five veins in four fingers (plus one in the back of my hand).  Since this was unusual for me even though I'd experienced it since my 20s I went to the doctor.

He diagnosed varicose veins without running any tests (he relied on a test from last year indicating my platelets are normal).  Because he made a suggestion that I quit taking Ibuprofen (suggesting they were bleeders) and gave me Celebrex instead, I went online looking for an answer.  I take Ibuprofen only sometimes, usually not more than two tablets daily and never for more than one week out of the month.

Here's what I found: varicose veins are weakened superficial veins (I stress *superficial* because deeper veins are a more serious condition called "thrombosis").  They constrict due to a clot or other factor slowing the flow of blood.  When they constrict far enough, like a balloon filling up with water, and blood isn't passing through (or overuse or trauma causes the vein to bulge further), they can burst.

First of all, don't take Celebrex or any other COX-2 selective NSAID.  They have been associated with clotting (and vascular restriction?) and might make it worse or turn it into a more serious condition.  

This is the best answer I've found, as to what varicose veins are and what to do http://health.yahoo.com/heart-treatment/varicose-veins-home-treatment/healthwise--hw113950.html.  They're discussing varicose veins of the legs, but it would apply to veins in the hand as well.

Second of all, varicose veins can be caused by many factors.  Rise in estrogen (from birth control), overuse of alcohol among other things.  (Estrogen therapy for menopause is said to have no effect, perhaps because estrogen levels are abnormally low to begin with).  But these are the easiest and least frightening causes.  There are also genetic disorders for which weak veins are a symptom (Ehler's-Danlos) and acquired diseases which will cause *clots* which may at first manifest superficially.  Do get yourselves to a doctor, because though varicose veins themselves are a fact of life (and getting older) for many and are just a nuisance to ignore, weak venal walls and clotting problems are not.  They could either be a sign of a more sinister illness or *cause* illness (if you throw a clot in your lungs or heart or brain, for instance).  This statement is NOT intended to diagnose or to frighten you, just to caution common sense: any changes in your body that aren't normal to you should be observed by a physician before you brush it off as harmless.

The migraine connection: migraines are caused by a harmless constriction in the blood vessels.  Varicose veins are caused by a constriction in the blood vessels.  I don't think you're nuts: I think there might be a connection, especially since the estrogen from birth control pills can cause both migraines and varicose veins.  The estrogen in birth control can also cause strokes and blood clots, as well.  If you're reacting this severely, please do some research and decide whether a non-hormonal contraceptive is a healthier alternative for you.

I am a 62 year old male and I've had these same hand and finger blood vessel problems as others on this site for the past several years.  (I'm a runner and otherwise healthy - low pulse rate, slim, and low blood pressure...)

This past week, I had 2 on my right hand after very minor hand lifting and and the second one followed gripping a water line to tighten a screwed fitting.

They hurt, swell up, turn purple / black and look like a fat tick ready to pop.  (Using my hands afterwards hurts, so it's a bummer for a few days.)

This website has stopped my thoughts re: seeing a doc.
Thank all of you for taking a moment to post.  
OBTW - I stopped taking my baby aspirin after the first one this week??

Getting old is for the brave and courageous.  Nose hair, wrinkles, gray mops, hearing and vision loss, memory lapse... I guess the good news is, people can tell me the same story every other week and to me it's still sounds brand new...
I too have suffered from this popping blood vessel syndrome for many years......it's extremely painful, frightening, and just plain weird!!!!! I also have had Raynauds from when I was a kid. When I asked the doc about the popping, he explained that I have week hands and feet because of the Raynauds. I would suggest that the reason docs shrug it off is because it isn't life threatening, and we will be ok...it has nothing to do with a blood burst in any other part of your body,,, only your extremities. I find the blood vessel popping happens mostly going from summer heat into winter cold, or from winter going toward summer....especially if there's a breeze.
I've had problems with popping vessels in my fingers for about 20 years. It isn't a constant problem...but there are brief episodes during any season, with or without trauma.It just seems to happen. I do not have headaches or uncontrolled blood pressure. My last episode was 5/15/10, right thumb...I noticed a a tightness in the joints on that hand several days prior to the attack. Until today, I thought I was alone in Blue Finger World.
I have this problem to.  I too am a healthy individual on no medications other than vitamins.  In reading everyone's comments and taking away what I've learned about my own situation, the common denomenator that I see is our blood.  The taking of aspirin (I take low dose with Vitamin regime every morning) coupled with high/or slightly elevated blood pressure (and mine is elevated ever so often, not chronic) may be the cause of this affliction.  I was diagnosed last week with Gilbert's syndrome, which is nothing to be concerned about, but several times I took note of people saying in this forum, the word "liver", and while a routine blood test during my annual physical denoted an elevated Bilirubin level which lead me to an internist who confimed I had this syndrome.  

Gilbert's syndrome is caused by an abnormal gene that you inherit from your parents. The gene controls an enzyme that helps break down bilirubin in your liver. With an ineffective gene, excess amounts of bilirubin build up in your blood.

I'm not saying that we all have this syndrome by any means, but I find it interesting that during my visit to the doctor last week, for the first time ever, my blood pressure was ever so slightly elevated, I take low dose aspirin every morning, and I have a very mild, mild elevation of Bilirubin and over the weekend had a burst of blood vessels in my finger.  Re-injured it just last night.  Put a splint on the finger today to see if I can't strengthen the walls of the vessels for a few days, by keeping the amount of bending to a minimum.  To Wrap or NOT to Wrap?.....that is the question.  I figured it couldn't hurt.

In summation, the taking of Aspirin....Blood pressure....possible Liver function issues (our filtration system amiss somehow) -  Makes me wonder if our blood might be running TOO thin throughout our vessels and when just the right amount of pressure is applied to the vessel, the vessel walls are weakened and therefore "pop"!

It all sounds interconnected from the stories I'm reading coupled with my own experiences with this affliction.  Contemplating that I might start taking my "preventive" low dose Aspirin down from every day to possibly 2 or 3 times/wk in an effort to thicken up my blood and try to eliminate this problem. I think its worth experimenting with.

Your thoughts?

Another sufferer to add to the list ... This happens to me regularly It starts with an itch that draws my attention to a white lump that becomes painfull and, once the swelling goes, leaves a bruise. This happens in my arms and legs. The first time it happened was 35 years ago, at 23 years of age. The brusing seems to occur spontaneously although I've noticed retrospectively that often when it has happened I've been in periods of high stress. I'm generally very healthy but have always got cold feet (like ice blocks!) and hands and have long bleeding times that complicate operations. My biggest concern has been the possibility of this happening in my brain but after 35 years, am becoming a bit more complacent.
Add me to the growing list of popped finger veins! Happened this morning.
The usual symptoms: sudden stinging and hot sensation in my middle finger on the right hand, I looked down and saw it turning dark blue right at the distal joint crease. It really swelled up, but with ice and elevation the swelling has gone down since this morning but it is still somewhat cool, numb and really sore.
I'm 37, in average health, about 20 pounds overweight but in pretty good physical shape. No big medical issues except mild depression and high cholesterol (stopped taking statins > 1 year ago).
The only thing that I could think of for a cause for mine was that I used the lawn mower last night and held the lever that keeps the machine on and pushed the mower - working rather quickly to get it done before the rain started again!
Only one of my coworkers knew what I was talking about today, everyone else just looked at me like I was crazy. I'm so happy that I found this site after searching on google. Its reassuring to know that others have had the same things happen.
wow! right now, my index finger on my right hand has a blood vessel that is raised, like a ball, and is dark purpleish in color. but i had no bee sting pain. this happened to me last week too, same finger! but it turned into a bruise, brownish purple bruise. i couldn't for the life of me remember hitting my finger anywhere! and now again today, here i am with this. it hurts when i touch it and you can see and feel the ball like lump.

i too am a woman, good health 34 yrs old. i take prenatal vitamins but i'm not pregnant.

questions: seems to be women getting this alot..

do you ladies type alot? i have a mac computer and use my index finger alot to scroll around and also type fast..

ya think maybe typing has something to do with this???
***@****

thanks
Wow- there are alot of us about!! Ive been getting the popping thing in my hands for about 18 years and also in my feet- I am 44, thin build, low blood pressure- two days ago something similar happened to my left thigh on the outer edge- it started off very itchy, I put my hand down to the outside of my jeans thinking Id been bitten and felt a big lump through the fabric - when I looked the skin was bulging and going a funny colour- hardly any pain though like the fingers thing- now the swelling has gone down but the bruise is the size of a baseball- has anyone else experienced this please? I am fairly healthy though do have Crohns disease which is an auto immune disease I believe- oh, and psorasis but Im still smiling ;o) It is good to know we are not alone in this!!
Add me to the list....I'm in my mid-40s, thin, low blood pressure, frequent exerciser (run, lift weights, ride my horses).  Right now I'm having a recurring problem in the same finger (middle on my right hand).  I've burst a blood vessel in this finger repeatedly over the last six months.  However, I'm also having another issue that I haven't seen mentioned so far....I think I'm developing arthritis in the joint at the end of that finger.  I have no arthritis anywhere else, so am a little baffled as to why this one joint is now noticeably larger than it used to be.  I don't know if it's related to the popping blood vessel or not....doesn't seem like it would be.  As for the multiple pops in this finger, I have been assuming that I have a weak spot in a vessel, or just a weak vessel, in that finger that doesn't completely heal before I do something that applies to much pressure right on the weak spot.  Right now I'm more concerned about the joint than the vessel pops.
Viewing 1-200 comments: