blood vessels popping in fingers
in the last two weeks i have had three blood vessels just pop in my fingers. i was not doing anything out of the ordinary. what could be causing this? should there be a cause for concern?
I've had this on and off for almost 10 years.  Google it once in a while as No One - in medical profession -takes me seriously.  There is nothing in particular at all that instigates it.  I'm in general Good health.  This must be a Symptom of some venous problem.  Let's team up and all write to a reputable medical research hospital.
I have had small capillaries burst in my fingers for years. I get a pinch like a bee sting, then it swells and turns blue and hurts. Saw a really smart doctor about this. She said is is just something that happens occasionally and is not serious. I am healthy and just underwent $60,000. worth of testing and I have nothing wrong.
I get them too, and have done for years. Sometimes from a small trauma, mostly not. I am 50+ healthy and fit and not on medications that would affect bleeding. I notice they happen more around my period and in hot weather. My brother gets them too. Seems to be a minor vascular fault, amplified by age. Not a sign of anything worth worrying about.
I am 32 years old and also get these in my right hand. they just started this year and concerned me quite a bit but everyone keeps saying you must have hit it on something. Obviously I would notice that....lol Glad to know it is of no concern and I'm not alone. My family has horrible cardiovascular history starting in their early 40's and I was really starting to freak out.
This has been happening to me for years.It will happen for no apparent reason. The first time it occurred I put ice on it and it got much worse. I ended up in the hospital. There was never any diagnosis so I've learned to live with the occasional problem. However, soaking the finger in hot water helps ease the pain.
I have just had my first experience of this and was tying my shoe lace and had a pain   like a bee sting I put my hand in cold water to relieve it as had a lot of pain and could not  bend my finger.Later on my hand got so cold and my finger went dead had to warm it up with a heat pad.After this it went very hot and was painful so i took two ibroprofen and went to bed planning on visiting the doctor,  The next day the swelling had gone down but I had what looked like severe bruising which was almost the entire finger and had spread to my first knuckle.I did'nt  visit the Dr and looked this up on google.It has been so interting to find comments from so many other people but frustrating when there does not seem to be a proper answer.I have recently been taking a low dose of aspirin in preparation for a long flight ??
Google Raynaud's syndrome
I am so relieved I found this. WebMD had no information on this. I was playing on the Wii yesterday and out of no where I felt my finger tingle like it was swelling a few minutes later it was turning blue. I have been freaking out since then looking all over the internet. I thought I was havng a reaction to some new medicine I am taking but I went to their site and it is not listed as a side effect or reason to call Dr. Then my husband said maybe I popped a blood vessel. My hands are very cold for hours in the morning then by about 2pm they are fine. My finger looked horrible and has been sensitive. But it is actually looking alot better now at the end of day 2. I am so glad this happens to others too!!
I am so relieved that I am not alone with the problem of popped blood vessels. I had one pop in my right index finger on Monday it felt like a bee sting, I have had others in my left hand over a number of years. My doctor said " nothing to worry about" but you do wonder whats happening.It's interesting to read that a number of people had been taking asprin. I had been taking pain killers for over a week so maybe this could be one cause, also I had just had a extremly hot flush and I thought that maybe my bloodpressure may have been up at that time. Who knows it seems such a mystery.
Bernadette
Spider angiomas are common w hep c and cirrhosis. But its more a symptom rather than whats going on. It sounds like the weakening of the vascular system that occurs with hep c.It's also why I stopped taking planes places.

You may try boosting your vitamin k intake by eating more spinach broccoli ectra.

I also have good blood pressure yet still have this problem myself some days and it HURTS like a mofo when it happens with me think wasp or bee sting.

Compression of the area at the first sign of trouble and icing helps as with any other bruising problem.

Asprin and tylenol are a good idea to avoid with liver problems.Same with ibuprophen and bleeding problems/gastric problems bad idea if you have varices!. You might inquire about drugs like tramadol that act via a different mechanism.

Try wiki if you start out with hep and work your way down the chain there is a ton of helpful information.
As for the doctors yup theres a million and one things that can cause a burst vessel.
It is exasperating s all get out and alarming. I got the same run around but I have a slightly different perspective after spending six months as an intern MT.

My first liver doc told me the more I knew the better off I'd be so I spend a lot of time doing independent research trying to figure these things out.

Also weakening of the veins and capillaries in the extremities is pretty common with aging regardless of health.So for those of you that are older. Yup for you it may just be a part of the aging process.Never hurts to stick your hand in the docs face and go oi!

For me avoiding planes and eating better seems to have worked mostly. :)
I have had these happen to me for years... I can't explain them but man do they hurt!  Got one today in the knuckle area in my palm.  Bright blue bruise.... very weird the only thing I can think is my blood vessels seem really close to my skin.  And I hit them just right...
I'm so relieved that there are a lot of people with this problem. I thought there was something bizarre wrong with me. I'm 45 and have had spells of this going on for about 10 years. In both hands, usually the palm-side of the fingers, but occasionally in the palm. I know when it's going to happen - can feel pressure, then it pops and you see blood under the skin and then it itches like crazy. Sometimes it's a hard blue marble under the skin. I have 3 that are permanently there (two in the same finger). It's almost never caused by anything - just happens. Occasionally it's when I grip something.
I forgot to say that I also have low blood pressure, and low iron. And - Does anyone know if any medical people ever reply to this stuff or is it just a bunch of us sharing our experiences and the blind leading the blind?
I'm amazed so many people have experienced the same thing. Mine happened out of no where as well but it hasn't gone away and it's been over a week. I'm going to go to the doctor and I'll post what he says. My case was also preceeded by light headedness.
Chalk up another person who is having this more frequently. 48 yr female...healthy. Just so frustrating that there is little to no info out there on this! I had one pop in the palm of my left hand 4 days ago, and now beneath the knuckle of index finger on the left hand.No reason, no trauma.... Recently, due to changes in the weather, I have been taking more Tylenol than usual for sinus pressure. HMMMMM keep the suggestions coming!
by:  Marann 2467  March 16, 2009    Wow I can't believe how many people have the same thing that I have.  It happens sometimes from trauma, but sometimes just happens.  Feels like a bee sting and itchy, then gets swollen, then red and purple.  After several days gets back to normal.  I am 62 years old and have no medical problems and no high blood pressure.  Mine usually happens on the right hand. Keep the suggestions coming.  I think vessels get weak with age, and sometimes just pop.  Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Caffeine is the culprit for me, I never drink coffee, and I had an espresso recently. Apparently it narrows the blood vessels temporarily.
This has got to be due to a vitamin C with Bioflavinoids deficiency!  Aspirin depletes vitamin C and so does stress and many other things.  You need a good multi vitamin and mineral  plus at least 1000 mg. vitamin C plus bioflavinoids.  The Bioflavinoids help keep the veins and arteries strong.
Wow, to reiterate, I am so glad this happens to others as well. I am a 39 year old Mom of 2 toddlers and just had this happen for the first time yesterday and did nothing out of the ordinary to have this happen. I live in a temperate Zone and its a cold spring this year. I felt a bee sting on my left index finger when I grabbed the handle of the stroller and thought "this is weird" there are no bees this time of year ? I have experienced very similar symptoms as everyone else. I will say, I too had taken Tylenol the day before as I had a Migraine from change in weather (we get a very wide range of temps this time of year - March) and it went from plus 15 to minus 8 in a day. I have low blood pressure and have had problems with cold extremeties, border line underactive Thyroid (they won't give me meds yet..), and was diagnosed with something called Reynaud's. I do believe this to be related after hearing all the people's posts. I am going to the doc next week and if he tells me more, I will post it.
Hi All!  I have been getting burst blood vessels in my fingers (and even occasionally in my feet) for no apparent reason for many years. I am 41.  It happens with very light to no exertion, and it stings then turns purple. It happened again to me this morning, and it's very disconcerting. I have also had problems in the past with excessive bleeding after surgery (2 occasions), and gums that bleed during a normal dental cleaning. I have researched this extensively, and the only thing I can find is that it may be Von Willebrand's disease. It's a common blood disorder that causes easy bruising (fragile capillaries) due to a defect in the platelets. (platelet count is normal, but clotting ability is not). I am going to ask my Dr to test me for it. Have any of you experienced blood loss episodes, including nosebleeds, heavy periods, excessive bleeding after surgery or anemia? I am very curious. Also, I was just diagosed with a Vitamin D deficiency that I have yet to be treated for (going this week).  I'd be interested in your feedback.