blood vessels popping in fingers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-400 comments:
Yes, I have had the experience once with my thigh, it happened during the time I was taking 'baby asprins'. I don't take asprin in any form now and the big bruises have ceased. I still have the pops in my fingers sometimes. I am trying to monitor my activities and diet to see if there is any connection. Except for what happened to the thigh and rarely on my fingers, the rapid dilation of the vessels have occurred on or very close to a joint of a finger. I'm 67- female, this has been happening for about 20 years, my doctor has never seen this before but thinks that I shouldn't worry. I am grateful for this site and will watch the comments, we are going to get the answer.    
I've had this happen several times also and with no apparent trauma to cause it. I am still trying to find out what it is. I have gone to the doctors, talked to several doctors and nurses and everyone agrees it’s a broken blood vessel but no one can explain what causes it. I have another appointment with a hand specialist in a few weeks to see if he can find out what causes it.
I've been following this thread for years, now, and CLEARLY, there are many of us who have this sort of thing, yet our doctors don't know what it is.

Just as clear, is that many of us have had these things for decades, so it seems this thing isn't especially dangerous, even if it is briefly painful, and leaves bruises.

I even had one of these IN MY DOCTOR'S office! He watched it swell, color, pop, and bruise. Said he'd never seen anything like it.

BTW, I get them on my fingers, but also occasionally on my knees, and rarely on my shins. I am presently 47yo, and I first noticed these in my 20's.
It occurs to me to also wonder if any men get this. How would we know?
Reading the comments more often than rare.  I am not taking any medications and this happened on my hands.  Painful can't grab or carry anything.  I have had this happen before but only one finger, in two days 5 fingers.  What is going on?  Does anyone have any quick remedies?  Ice? soaking hand?  My concern if it could happen somewhere else feeling bruise like in the crook of my arm, closer to my heart.  Any suggestions?
Hey fellow finger poppin ppl :)

Well, I said I would report back; I didn't realize how much time had past, and thanks Firefox for keeping my History for so long, because 'someone' forgot to bookmark! LOL! ;)

So, I found a bottle of Vitamin K at GNC for a whole whopping $3.19, for 100 tablets @ 100mcg (micrograms). Lemme tell ya, it's about a miracle. The blood vessels in my fingers would pop almost every day, or at the least, several times a week; in my toes, too. Now that I've been taking one of these tablets a day, it's a very rare incident, almost never, and if it does happen, not nearly as bad, or last as long.

I get lazy with my routine over the weekend and this past weekend, I didn't take my vitamins. I've had the blood vessel in my hand (same area) pop twice, yesterday and today. I guess it's gotta build back up in my system, who knows.. but I won't forget to take them again! And I just bought another bottle today, which reminded me to report back here. :)

Get that Vitamin K and take it Faithfully!!!!!

Health & Happiness,
Tracy
i am a 38 year old male and i have had this problem for several years , just had one pop today on my left hand middle finger first joint , has anybody found out what this is it is very annoying and also quite painful for a few days .
Just googled this because I am having this issue, too... and it brought me to this site.
I guess it's nice to know that a lot of people have dealt with this. And glad to know that it doesn't seem serious. Just annoying and temporarily painful. Though it does seem like a long term thing. And as I'm 28 I should get used to the feel of it because it doesn't seem to go away.
Moist heat is good for broken veins.  I had a massive one on my inner forearm after getting bumped there once and went to a minor emergency clinic.  Everyone had been telling me to put ice on it, but the doctor said no.  "Moist heat" for traumatized veins, he said.  And when I get the little ones breaking in my fingers or palm, I get some moist heat (just a washrag wet with hot water and then wrung out) and it really helps calm the thing down.

Vitamin K...interesting.  My father-in-law takes a drug to keep his blood thinned because he has a mechanical valve in his heart.  He has to watch his Vitamin K, if he takes to much he must increase his blood-thinner.

I would want to know a little more about what the Vitamin K is doing before I would just start taking it.
I am 47 and had my first popping about 3 months ago.  No known trauma, just felt pain, looked down on my finger and saw the blue.  Have had 3 - 4 more since then.  Went to the Dr. promptly the first time because the purple spred so quickly and then the finger became ice cold.  He had never seen this before but wasn't too concerned.  Told me to take Bayer Asprin 2X/day for a couple of days.  Finger became almost completely blue (on both sides) for a day, and then cleared up. Last time it happened I was lifting an empty wheelbarrow.  Funny that we seem to have quite a few people here who have this but the Doctors don't seem to know about it.
Okay, so I messed up my middle finger on my right hand last week, not sure how it happened, but I popped a blood vessel.  The middle pad on my finger started to swell and I couldn't bend it!  It started to subside after about a day and then it was purple on the inside and sides of my finger!  It went back to normal, until just now when it happened again.  I was lifting something and felt that familiar swelling .  It is such a niusance, but I don't know how to avoid it?  Should I see a hand specialist?
It's been happening to me for years too. I am a 50 year old female. It's always in my fingers, totally spontaneous, I feel a stinging pain and then the bruise starts to appear, starts off localised, then slowly spreads - just happened again today on the knuckle of my middle finger and now the knuckle is a red/purple colour and the rest of my finger is bluish. I just Googled it and found this discussion. I have no idea why it happens but i do know that my maternal grandmother experienced it too.
I should also mention, having read earlier posts, that I suffer from Raynaud's syndrome.
and, having read more posts., that i am also thin - 106lbs - and suffer from migraines with aura. I don't drink any coffee or take painkillers regularly, and my blood pressure is normal.
I have had the same thing most all of you have posted about with the fingers and the pinch feeling and then the burst vessel turning the area blue.
The other day my finger suddenly went numb without any pinch feeling and swelled up and turned blue with a popped vessel. Then yesterday after several days of the finger getting better it suddenly without any cause started to swell and turn blue again. For hosesmylife who had the finger get cold you may want to check out something called Raynaud's phenomenon. It doesn't seem like that is what is going on with most here but for you with the finger going cold it may be a clue.
I have been diagnosed Raynauds which is why i had swollen fingers twice for 2 weeks this year and I had spasms/pain in my fingers ...... I don't however get any of this popping business......... With Raynauds, you will see your toes go blue if you step on cold ground after a cold shower but it's visual so you don't feel any pain (or at least i don't) when this changes ..... On the contrary, due to Raynauds when i had all the swelling and pain in my hands going on i did not witness colour changes.

The reason I landed on this forum is because the first time I went to the doctor with swollen fingers and the CRP blood test turned out negative for athritis, the doctor explained to me that my blood vessels had burst. I didn't feel momentary sharp pain to understand when i could have subjected myself to this, nor did i see any bruising leaving me puzzed what this was!      
I just started having this problem about 6 months ago I am a 47 yr old female  the first time it happened it was in the joint on the inside of my little finger-it started to hurt-then the skinned raised-there was a pulse in it and it felt like someone was pinchin the inside of my finger- I put ice on it which did seem to help it lasted about a half hour then it turned black and blue for about a day and then it was gone- this time I had one on the top of my foot-really strange until I googled it  I had never heard of anyone having this
i have this too.
just like you are all describing it. i have not been diagnosed. i am last night it happened to my ring finger, and this time both knuckles are joints in that finger are affected. i am wondering about vitamins any of you take--if this could be a side affect???
I am a 31 year old female and I just had my first experience. It started off like a burning throb. When I looked down my finger was purple. Now it's swelling. I googled it because it was strang. I ran across this discussion. I think maybe this is something that needs to be monitored.
Hi....I had my first finger pop just yesterday at work...scared the crap out of me,thought something bit me because it was heating up....but after when a weird feeling came on n I look at my finger and its now all purple n bruised....I'm 25, 55, 165lb...good health not allergic to anything.....kind of strange
excuse me, i'm guessing you're a female because you asked if it happened to men, well i just googled it because it just happened to me and i wanted to know if it were anything serious or just something that did hurt and went away like getting hit or something along those lines, well idk if it happens more to women or men, but apparently it does happen to men as well because i have one right now in my finger at the second knuckle. i know it doesn't exactly answer really any questions that are needed, but i hope it does help maam. thanks again =]
I have had a few instances where this has happened to me as well. Couple of times I actually had hit something with my hand but yesterday, there was not reason for the blood vessel to break. So, I am wondering about the cause. So, if any one could comment, here are my suggestions as to what the contributing factors might be.  1. carrying heavy grocery bags that cut into your fingers living almost blue marks 2. hands with popped veins 3. post pregnancy, breast feeding (hormone imbalance) 4. deficiencies like iron, vitamin possibly due to post pregnancy, heavy periods.
I am curious as to what might be causing this and since there seems to be no explanation available, perhaps checking for common factors might be a start.
Me, too.  Same as all y'all.  I'm 63, and this has been happening close to 25 years.  I thought it might be blood pressure related because I have had fewer occurrences since my BP has been under control with pills.  Doctor said there is no relation.  For the first time ever, it happened to two of my toes and then also to my foot arch, but except for that one time, it has always affected only my fingers.  I wonder about thin blood vessels.  I have good numbers on all my tests, but I take a lot of medications and vitamins to make that happen (levoxyl, diovan, propranalol, calcium, and vitamins:  A, B complex, C, D, E.  Doctor suggested that I drop out E because that's a thinner, and he doesn't think I need it, so I'll give that a shot.  I have always been concerned because my mother had a major stroke.  It was not determined whether it was a burst or a bleed through, but again the doctor said (and he's a really, really smart experienced doctor!) that blood vessels in my fingers would not have anything to do with a stroke.
i had this happen on my arm it swelled like a golf ball then popped internally i went to the e.r. they couldn't explain it was scary it hasn't happened again since that was 5 yrs ago
when my dad died 9 yrs ago a blood clot appeared in the shaoe of a large heart i thought he was sending me a message from beond that he loves me but now that i think of it it probably was a blood vessal but if i show u the pic yud say it looked like a heart too
In the past few months I have started to notice the same thing-blood vessels popping in my fingers! At first i thought it was just a one off occurance when i opened a rusty latch and put alot of pressure on my fingers when trying to open it. But as weeks went by the blood vessels pop in different fingers on both hands without me doing anything or at the slightest bit of pressure. I am 29, the only medication I'm on is the pill Mercilon, I've been on it for years, I'm fit and healthy according to my GP but I do have an occational cigarette and like my morning coffee! I wonder if it is a vitamin deficciency of some sort. Will ask my GP next time I've got a day off work, I always feel guilty going to his practise as it he makes me feel like I'm wasting his time with my occational queries while the waiting room is full of older people who are genuinely unwell..maybe I'll call first :)
I am in my 40s and it started in my early 20s. I have had blood test and have been diagnosed with Raynauds, which my doctor now thinks it is not Raynauds but weak veins. My finger hurts on a joint and swells then bruises, I have had it happen this week but never this bad, it bruised last thursday then again on monday the bruising is now covering both sides of the finger and travels down the palm of my hand. It just cleared up yesterday and it bruised again today. I cannot predict when it will happen again, it could be days weeks months or even a year but as I have got older it has got a lot more frequent. Im wondering if a small vein gets trapped in the joint of the finger and it pinches it and then bleeds.
I am 63 y/o, female. I first noticed an itching on my middle finger digit, then it sort of burned then hurts and throbs. A tiny small blood capillary swells like a mini micro aneurysm balloon or outpouching of the tiny vein like blood vessel. When it happens on my toes, this causes a single toe to cramp up. Two days ago I noticed itching and a swelling on the back of my thigh. At first I thought it was a bite, then I took a look and it was once again a blood vessel outpouching. By 24 hours a tiny purple area that started about a inch area had expanded covering the back of my thigh with about a 4 inch deep purple area. The back of my thigh was not painful. My blood pressure was low, 93/49. I took pictures to send to my doctor.  This has happened to me on many occasions. I don't know if it can happen in other blood vessels. So I googled it and stumbled upon this group. I explained it to one doctor. He said there was a disease where this also happens in the vessels of the heart. My two doctors discussed this and decided that I did not have such a disease. At one time my bleeding time was also prolonged. This was related to a medication I was taking. I was told to eat 3 cups of broccoli each morning for breakfast [I am vegan] for 3- 4 weeks then to get my bleeding time tested once again. I did this faithfully and by the end of 4 weeks my bleeding returned to normal. However I remain a person with a slightly prolonged bleeding time. Do any of you notice this popping is preceded by itching? These occurred after I had eaten a small bite of animal protein. Are any vegan?
I have the popping preceeded by itching as well.  I've had the popping in other areas too...around my achilles tendon.  I just want to make sure this doesn't pop in my brain.
I have read this forum & another one regarding this problem.  I am a 47 yr old woman.  I am thin, eat a very natural mostly organic diet.  I am a meat eater, but mostly eat chicken & fish.  I take a lot of vitamins & herbal supplements.  My vein popping started in my fingers probably 10 years ago.  Lately though, it's moved to my feet.  I will get the stinging, popping & huge blue bruise accompanied by a lot of pain & swelling around the area.  It happens on the pad of my foot.  Last week it was so bad the bruise went right through to the top of my foot & I couldn't weight bear for 3 days.  2 days ago I got one in my big toe.  The bruise wrapped right around the entire toe causing difficulty walking.  It's so frustrating.  I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week & it's affecting my ability to work out as well.  I have been taking Vit E, so I think I will cut that out & see if that makes any difference.
My hubby has been suffering from popping vessles in his fingers for years.  Sometimes because he is carrying something like a plastic shopping bag but often for no reason at all.  He feels the burning pain, then comes the swelling and then the bruise.  It takes about 4 to 5 days to heal and happens about 2 to 3 times a month.  We find that if he controls the swelling immediately with an ice pack, the healing time less.  No doctor has been able to help or shown much interest.
Had this happen yesterday - it is weird.  Was getting dressed for work and sudden numbness, stinging pain and purple on my index finger.  Since I was getting dressed for work I think I will either have to avoid going to work in the future or maybe just avoid getting dressed... not sure which.  Hoping this will help prevent further incidences, but not sure yet, I will have to report back!  ;)
omg i finally decided to look this problem up and i'm glad to know i'm not alone and it's not a blood clot or something, i have had this happen before.  just had one today i'm 34 female and they are always in my fingers it feels like a very sharp pain then it turns purpleish and spreads out a little now i can't use my finger for the rest of the day because it hurts pretty bad if i push on it.  hopefully someone can figure out whats going on.
I have had this happen for a few years. Yesterday was the worst. No acitivity, my thumb was swollen, pain then turns lovely purple. This time my thumb is more swollen and the joint is sore. Nice to know I am not alone. My doctor told me had not ever heard of such a thing, going to new doctor next week and will see waht she says.
I am not sure if I have what is being described. Saturday afternoon I looked down at my ring finger on my left hand and there was a bump. It is under the skin and isn't really big but it is hard and looks like it is on the vein. It burns and stings and it hurts to extend my finger all the way. I have ITP (low platelets) and Pernicious Anemia (low B12) and I am borderline anemic so I went to see my hematologist. They tested my platelet count and it was actually higher than normal (around 42,000). I have read several posts and I wasn't sure if this means that this thing hasn't popped yet or if it is something different. By the way, my doctor also had no idea what it was. He advised me to watch it and if it gets bigger, hurts more, or if I have pain in my arms, legs or joints to let him know. Otherwise follow up with him in two weeks. Not sure what to do and to be honest I am a little freaked out. Can anyone offer any insight?
Happened to me today for the 4th time in my lifetime on the same finger, same place, right over the inside middle joint of my right middle finger.  Pressure on it did it this time, and the other three times, but the first time the blood vessel burst (at least I am assuming that is what it is!) I had twisted my finger strangely and knocked it into my index finger.  It does itch first, then stings sharply, and turns blue-purple in the spot where it hurts.  Looks like a bruise about 2 hours later but with an irregular border.  Ice helps immensely, 5 min on, 10 min off, repeatedly.  I do have arthritis and am taking NSAIDS (basically a high dose of aspirin) two times daily which of course thins the blood and can cause swelling of the skin.  EVERY time the middle finger blood vessel has burst has been a day my fingers have felt swollen!   My blood pressure is normal but verges on being low and I am almost always anemic or borderline anemic.  Hope this helps some of you as your posts have helped me!  Oh, and I am a 39 year old female who nearly always eats balanced meals (with meat).
this has just started for me - i am a 48 year old female.  when it first happened i was doing dishes and my thumb started to hurt.  looked at it and i had a blood streak then it "popped" and hurt for awhile, then the pain went away - but my thumb turned blue, green -then in a couple of days it went away.  i am taking bp medicines and have been for 10 yrs.  i was thinking of going to a dr for this - but now it seems that would be fruitless.    glad to see that i am not the only one - but would really like to know what causes it and fix it!!!
I have also been getting these for years - I like one of the others have Low Blood Pressure.  I am 47 and on no medication at all.  I have had wo in a space of a week - one on my left index finger and one on my knee.  The one on the knee I didn't feel any pain with - it looks like a large red bruise but disappears much quicker.  I mentioned to my doctor and she did some blood tests which all came back clear.  She never followed it up and I didn't bother either as I don't think they are interested  At least reading this has made me realise I am not on my own and that it mustn't be life threatening!
I have this same problem and have had for 10yrs or so.  I am 33 years now.  I hadnt had a vein burst in months maybe a year and all the sudden I had two happen in three days.  I was diagnosed with Raynaud's back in high school.  I take vitamins regularly and wonder if that really helps keep them from happening.  I think they happened now because I'm 14 weeks pregnant and even though I'm taking vitamins the baby gets a lot of the nutrients.  Glad I found this forum.  Nice to know I'm not alone is dealing with this issue!
I am a 48 year old female and this has been happening to me since high school. The incidents seem to be getting more frequent as I age, and occuring in different places. I would say 98% of the time it is in my fingers or hand-ALWAYS on the palm side. I have found that massaging the area with moderate pressure helps the vessel burst quicker so I don't have prolonged pain.

I mentioned it to my Dr. at a physical and she had no idea what I was talking about. Glad to find out I am not the only one!  
Me too! It's interesting to see how common this is. I've talked with all of my docs, and like many of you describe, the docs didn't seem concerned or interested. It is, indeed, annoying. And, concerning...I can't help but think, am I at risk for aneurism (aneurysm)?
Discussed the situation with another doctor (dermatologist, cosmetology, lipo), and he immediately said it was because my veins and other vascular structure had thin walls, and I know that is definitely true of my veins.  He said that I should be taking 2000 mg of vitamin C per day rather than the maintenance amount (500 mg/day) that I have taken all of my adult life.  I've never heard that vitamin C was a booster for the thickness of the walls of my veins, but I've started the 2000 mg/day regimen.
Hi all'
I have had poppin blood vessels in my hands for over 20 + years.  Yes it is painful.
and leaves a nasty bruise.  I went to my nutritionist (a Koren lady) and she told me
to take bioflavonoids. They usually can be found combined with Vit C. (rose hips).
It takes about a week to kick in, and you must cont. to take them faithfully , but it
worked for me. And when i don't take them, my veins in my hands start poppin
again.  I never addressed it to my doctor, as he probably would order a bunch of
blood test, and i hate needles, and am a hard stick to get any blood.
So good luck, and hope this will help fellow poppers out there...

Hi, I am a medical student from Hong Kong, China. And my father experienced exactly the same thing as most of you did. And after some searching on Google and other medical journals, I found the disease that causing this is called paroxysmal finger haematoma (Achenbach's syndrome). It is a benign localized disease usually affecting the volar aspect of the finger and causes rupture of the vein and sudden bruising. This is a benign disease and can be managed by Dermatologist. I hope this piece of information can be useful and decrease your worries. =D
when you give out advice you really should research your information first, you should know this being a medical student I looked up achenbach's syndrome and it has nothing to do with popped veins you stupid person I'm glad you live in Hong Kong so that if you EVER become a doctor you wont be treating my family or me :(
i had this issue for while now, where out of nowhere a vein in my finder pops and i feel the pain and area gets blue and it gets hard around that area. I noticed not if i walk bare feet on the wood stairs the toe areas also get the same pain and the same thing happens. I think i eat healthy, i exercise and take care of myself.

Doctor has no clue to what is happening..advice. lacking vitamins? if so, which helped someone out there with this issue?
Hi - I have had popping veins in my eyes for a number of years, and now I have joined the veins popping in fingers club.  I have no idea what causes them and I too hope that I don't have one pop in my brain.  Having them pop in my eyes is a bit scary for people to look at (I'm a teacher), and now my finger is black and blue.  I'm glad to have found this site, and I also would rather med students who think they know everything would just keep away and not write their opinions about stuff.  It just scares people.  How would you know what it is when other experienced doctors don't?  I'm slightly overweight, but I have low blood pressure.  I eat well and exercise often.  No reason for my finger to have popped yesterday and it scared the living day lights out of me.  Glad to have found others have had them with no ill-effects.
I can only surmise that you were in an unusual frame of mind when you had your completely irrational rant at poor happyguy123.  If you Google 'paroxysmal finger haematoma' and look any of the several articles listed, you will see that he is absolutely correct.  One article even has a photo of the phenonemum.
popping blood vessels in fingers
Had this for a year or so, mainly caused by carrying metal coat hangers on fingers (and forgetting and doing it again). older relative also has this, along with popping blood vessels in eyes from time to time, with no harmful side effects.like everyone else amazed doctors have never heard of it and keen to know when they do have some advice.(dentist's advice was to see a doctor!)
I have never met another person who has had this happen.  When I ask people or Doctors NO ONE has heard of this condition.  My problem areas are fingers and feet but last night it happened on the side of my knee.  A golf ball size bump then the big bruise.  If there are so many of us out there how come there are no answers!  Possibly because it seems to be  non life threatening.  I personally have at least 15 years of this happening but more frequent in the last 2 years.  I am relieved that there are so many others but sorry they have to go through pain.  And yes mine are very painfull too.
have sharp stingging pain on the middle of my finger knuckle then a small bump appeared followed by blue/red colour on the pain side and felt like bruising and pain for few hours/days. started with my ring fingers, now spread to other fingers but after few hours/days, the symptoms will go. went to my doc, he did not seem to know anything of this or showed any concern but he refers me to a skin specialist which made me really puzzled. i had googled on paraxysmal finger haematoma it has the same symptoms but there are so little information avail.
I am 48yr athletic woman, and this has happened to me occasionally over the past couple of years.  I've read most of the thread, and see a dominant group, pre to menopausal women.  I'm convinced it gets worse with hormone fluctuations, which I am experiencing.  Three other noteworthy comments to consider:
1) I have Raynaud's(30 years), and see numerous entries of others with this problem.
2)I took melatonin a couple of years ago and episodes increased.
3)I have recently been taking SAM-e(which helps convert serotonin to melatonin) and episodes have increased again.
Does anyone else have a similar observation?
I'm a 52yr female who also belongs to the "veins popping in fingers club"  Have had this for a few years but it seems to be more often now :(  
I have always had them in my fingers but in recent months I have had them in the palms of my hand and just today I have one in my right thumb, which is very painful.  I have never come across anyone with this, and decided to google it to see if I could find something...glad I did, now I know I'm not alone.

Hi there. Just had a blood vessel pop/burst for the very first time in the middle area of my left middle finger. All I did was grasp our sliding patio door handle to open it and felt a quick little zing. The area instantly turned dark blue and appeared a little swollen. Then it started to itch briefly. This has never happened before so I've been imagining all sorts of dreadful scenarios and half expecting my finger to enlarge to astronomical proportions and develop further complications so, of course, I've kept monitoring it and relaxed somewhat once the area faded to a lighter coloured bruise. I'm so relieved to have found this message board and want to thank all of you for sharing. I finally calmed down. I'm 56 and of average weight and am not taking any medications nor do I have any known medical problems to date. So Vitamin K possibly helps prevent this?
I will try the vitamin K, I have heard it is good for bloody noses although i don't get those.  Have been having a lot of the broken blood vessels in my fingers, nothing new but seems to be happening more frequently, then had one in my palm the other day and last night one on the bottom of my foot, really painful!  I also have Raynaud's Syndrome but not real severe.  I am 53 and average weight.  I use a low dose hormone patch, and take an antihistamine.  I had never worried about this and remember this happening my whole life I think until it began happening more frequently and then on places other than my fingers.  Why couldn't it happen in your brain?  And if you think about it, why would asprin which is a blood thinner prevent it or make it better?  That makes no sense.  I think something that was more of a thickening or clotting agent makes more sense.  Maybe thats what vitamin K does.  Or maybe it's not about the thiness or thickness of your blood but rather the the blood vessel wall itself?
Hi I just googled this condition and found this post. This happend to me only yesterday for the first time really weird and painful. My attention was drawn to it by the sharp pinch like pain at the joint in my left middle finger. I noticed the raised blue vessel described in many of these post. It has gone completely now after turning back/green bruise and dispersing across my finger, but had it checked out as I thought it might have been related to an intense allergic reaction I experienced the previous night were my lips swelled up twice the size, after eating fish in chilli sauce, only lasted about 1hr but that has never happened before either and I eat chilli and fish all the time. No connection was known. The nurse I spoke to said she sees this kind of thing all the time it is very common and only becomes a concern when the bleeding is large and frequent. She said specifically not to take any anticoagulant such as asprin as, if bleeds are occurring in unseen places this could become problamatic. (makes sense). I think Real Reno has it spot on, I also consider it is most likely the condition of the vessel wall rather than the viscosity of the blood itself.
I have had the same since 1997.
HOW MANY of you have taken a FLUOROQUINOLONE ANTIBIOTIC?
(my theory)

Thanks,
Carolyn
ok, this just happened to me tonight after I finished washing dinner dishes.  I placed a tea bag in a mug for my hubby and suddenly my left ring finger stung at the first joint below tip of finger, I rubbed it because it felt like I was bit by something and suddenly my finger started to throb, swell and I could see the vein popping out.  It is very red, sore and very swollen.  The only discoloration thus far is the blue vein pop, but the rest of the finger is just red and it got itchy for about 5 minutes.  I have ice on it now, this started at 7:15pm.  I sat down to search my beloved Google only to instantly find this site.  This is so very strange that so many people have had this happen and there is no rhyme or reason for it.  I didn't bang it on anything, didn't twist it or pull it, so I don't understand this.  At this point, I can't straighten my finger out because it is so swollen.  I'm hoping that someone will have answers... meanwhile, i will continue my search... I'm glad I'm not alone.  This page will be book marked so that I can refer back to it.  Hugs to all my vein poppin sistas.  :)  
I am wondering if anyone has had any luck in popping these little bulges with a pin? it has been a week since I have had it and am ready for it to heal.
I am 44 year old female and have suffered this phenomenon in my fingers and hands for years and more recently in my feet!!  but his time it is SO BAD in my feet that I can barely walk!! Makes it hard to work!!  I will try the Vitamin K treatment and keep you posted!!  In the past my doctors just look puzzled when I try to explain it.  I guess as long as it's far from the heart they don't get overly concerned!! lol
I too, have had these for year or so.  I'm post menopausal, and 55.  At one time, i would get them for week or so, then nothing for few months.  Now i get them weekly, several appear on different fingers.  I don't get pain with them, usually an itching, that indicates they are going to pop.  I had one pop and bleed through the skin the other day.  It stopped fairly quickly, that indicated to me that it is not a clotting problem.

I've tried K in the past.  I take herbs like Amla, Acerola, and rosehip that are naturally high in vit C and bioflavanoids to no avail.  So i've bought some 1G C from food source, and plan to take 3 a day.

I tend to have slightly low bp.  I have hypothyroidism, and take Armour, a natural thyroid replacement as opposed to synthetic  thyroid replacement.  Apart from that i take no drugs or medications.

I think it is just capilliary fragility, but why just in the right hand, on tops of fingers mainly.  I think it could be to do with the hypothyroid ism, sluggish metabolism maybe, i just don't know.

Sometimes i wonder is it something i'm taking, like a herb or something, as opposed to something i'm not taking.

Doctors are useless, and don't seem to care. It is a mystery,  I just wish i could figure it out
Who has taken antibiotics for a UTI?  What?
Are there any of you that have never had antibiotics?
I am 39 and also get them. Mostly in the fingers and sometimes in the feet. They also swell itch and hurt but I find the pain isnt that bad a sharp sting then more of a dull pain that gradually fades. Im very rarely sick and cant remember the last time I took antibotics. I have also had them for years so dont think its anything to do with menopause . To the medical student. Thanks for taking an interest whether you are wrong or right at least you are interested and I think anybody who calls you stupid should take a look at themselves. Its an awful thing to call someone . We are obviously googling the problem and when someone like yourself tries to help we shouldnt be putting you down for trying to help we should do what we do with every other post we read and look into it. I say it could be a little bit of jealousy . One thing with these forums is   you start to get the small minded nasties come out of the woodwork just waiting to put someone down to make themselves feel better.
The antibiotics would have to have been before this started....if you can think that far back.
I think they are spontaneous ruptures of  nerve or tendon cells where they attach to the bone....involving nerve and blood supply.
Do you find that the bruising goes away faster than the normal range of color changes?
Which, for me, makes it difficult to show a doctor.

Note: I think we all should send this thread to our doctors who have no clue what we are referring to.
Hi: I did some indo-rowing yesterday (vigorously) for about 30 minutes and then lifted weights etc., after.  I noticed a few hours later that my index finger on my left hand was sore at the joint - a few hours after that it had swelled up and was painful to move or to bend the finger.  This morning sill stiff but more confined to the joint and I cannot bend the finger.  No purple like some of the others but completely mystified - not even sure it is a popped blood vessel but it seems like it must be.  Very odd.  I am a 55 yo woman who regularly exercises - pilates, weights etc.,and I certainly didn't strain myself yesterday but I guess it's just another thing with my body that has started to "go" with age?
I finally dedcided to google this topic because I had it happen to me between my knuckles. This one was a big one that bruised pretty bad. I have had small ones in my fingers over the past 5 (plus) years, I am a 51 year old female, fairly good shape, active, do not smoke. I had one in the arch of my foot that was very painful. My concern was "what if this happens in my brain"? No one seems to have any answers.
I had this happen for the first time last night at work. I broke a jam on my belt..which i do many times every night. About a minute or so later my finger felt like it was going to bust open (middle finger left hand right before the first knuckle about where a ring would be worn) a weird pain that I haven't experienced before. I looked down and a vein was bulging and blue. I couldn't straiten my finger because the pain increased and the area became hot. I didn't smash or hurt my hand so I was scared it was a blood clot. I put ice on it and the pain and bulging went down alot but it is like a little knot is left in the area and a bruise. It still hurts to put pressure on it but is way better today. But it is like a little pea or something is stuck in my vein. I didn't go to the doctor, but this site had eased my mind..I guess I experienced the same thing as everyone else??
Wow it might be the time of year as I had my first experiance of this too on Christmas day. Washing dishes then felt a pop looked to see a blue vein in my middle finger with a blue bruise growing. It was wierd feeling (scary) as the pulsing and throbbing grew. It is now two days and my finger went quite blue from my last knuckle up however what did concern me today (which is why I turned to google) is my finger is incredably cold... I can warm it up and then gradually feel the cold runnign from my tip to m knuckle!
I was going to go to minor injuries but I will keep check on this for a bit longer and hopefully cold / circulation will improve.
I am a nurse and remember my grandma used to get this too.
I first had this syndrome for a while in the 1980's (it was a period when I was suffering from urinary tract infections by the way) and then went many years without experiencing further finger bursts.  In the last few months it has returned and last night I had an incident that scared me as it involved a much larger area on my finger/hand than ever before.  Which brought me to search for information on the internet which led me to this forum.  After reading comments the information about Vit K, melatonin and FLUOROQUINOLONE ANTIBIOTIC I did some cross Googling and found out there is a relationship between these factors.  Also last summer I took a Fluoroquinolone Antibiotic and that may have precipitated my predisposition.  Also with menopause I began taking melatonin for sleeping so maybe both of these factors could have led to a depletion of Vit. K.  Tomorrow I'll be going out to get some Vit. K and give it a try.  Thanks for everyone for posting and good luck with your cases.
I had this happen for the first time yesterday. My left ring finger top joint on the palm side, started with sharp pain, then the small swelling ball which i applied firm pressure to, then it popped to a bleed under the skin. It only took a few minutes and the pain had gone. I searched the net as I did have real concerns as i can remember my mother had these in her hands and she died suddenly of an aortic aneurism (aneurysm) at age 70, an otherwise fit and healthy woman. Her father also had an aneurism (aneurysm) at age 88. I don't want to scare anyone but does anyone else have any family history or is this just a coincidence
I've had this happen 3 times in the last two weeks on the same finger on the same hand. The first joint on my ring finger of my left hand will feel pinched then within minutes become totally bruised. The bruising lasts a few days then dissipates. I have had numbing and whitening of this finger as well and also have Reynaud Syndrome in both hands. I always blamed it on bad circulation and low blood pressure, but the frequency of occurrences is freaking me out a little. It seems that going to a Doctor won't reveal anything, given the comments from everyone. Read the info about Vitamin K. Will try.
I agree with the moist heat.  My finger tip, above the bruise started losing color and feeling.  It felt like frost bite.  So I held it under warm water.  The change was dramatic!  it even helped the bruise to dissipate!
To those who have tried the VIT K ... has anyone but me noticed an increase in energy?
The day I took it (with Stress Tabs - B's + C), I was amazed at my stamina to get things done.  Not  having to rest or lie down.
Had first experience with ring finger suddendly feeling tingly, numb and then color started changing area closest to palm.  I had been typing briefly, but nothing out of the ordinary.  I iced right away as I was freaking out a bit in trying to recall my days activities.  Ice kept the swelling in check and I was able to find this forum, which relieved my anxiety and let me go to the gym and take my tai chi class.  I'm a 64 yr. old female, clean eating, no dairy, beef or fat.. Usually take an aspirin, some vitamins and herbs., very physically active.  No perscription medications for anything.  I will increase my Vit C as I already take it, and will research Vit. K as well, as a result of reading everyones' posts.  I'm also gonna try alternating hot and cold and will see if that changes color.  Still feel some swelling, and discomfort as I type.  Color has eased off the blue tones.
I had this happen to me for the first time last month.  It happened 2 times in my fingers (palm side), and the doctor had no idea what I was talking about when I went to go find out what it could be.  I'm very happy to have found this discussion and especially thankful to happyguy123 and his comments.  I am also thin, in my early thirties, and also have low blood pressure.  I feel that it may be a deficiency, or even dehydration, that may be causing issues with low blood pressure and vascular weakness.  I'm going to make sure to drink lots of water, rest as often as I can (with 2 babies), as well as eat a good balanced diet.  I will also take vitamin C, and maybe vitamin K, and see how that works out.  I also tried to go on a no-carb diet for a little while and then these problems started right after that.  I read in another forum of people doing this same thing before their problems appeared. God bless!
This has also happened to me a few times, once on the side of my foot. No trauma. It just happened on my ring finger of my left hand when I picked up a small basket off my desk. This hurts! I also have Reynauds syndrome.I am a week shy of 40 and a water fitness instructor. I am going to try the vit.K and see if it helps. I'll keep reading these posts to see if anyone else is helped by anything.
I am a 52 year old female who has suffered this popping finger syndrome for about 15 years and just stumbled on this forum. It is a relief to find other fellow sufferers with no undue associated problems! I also suffer from Reynaud syndrome  and have low blood pressur. I also have a low blood pressure and bruies easily which seems to be an inherited family trait which i have passed onto my teenage daughetr. I will try the vitamin K has anyone else got good results from this?
This has been happening to me, mostly in my fingers, for as long as I can remember.  I am a 57 yr old female, active, and slender.   I noticed somethnig in the forum about low carb.  For the past week I have been on the "Lose it" diet just to improve my daily intake of carbs, fats and protien which I am around 30% on each.   Seems the blood bust in finger sydrome is worse now than ever.  I will post in the "Lose it" forum also and take Vit K.
I will be sure to report here if I learn more.  Nice to know I am not alone!
PAROXYSMAL FINGER HEMATOMA  seems to be some name given to some of these symptoms.  As usual, there has been no research into this seeming minor thing .. so no one really knows anything. Why mostly women?
This just started happening to me, on my toes. I have it wrapped up because its sprained, and so my toes are cold. I'm only 17 years old, and a male. Im guessing that this has relation to blood flow of some kind, since this only happens on that one foot and since most of you are older than me, you have a weaker blood flow. Women also have a weaker blood flow, which would explain why it happens to women more. I've noticed that for me, it happens when i move my toes.
    Have any of the folks who have these symptoms with blood vessels bursting spontaneously been checked seriously for the various connective tissue disorders (aka Marfan's, Ehlers Danlos etc.) which can also be seen in those who are hypermobile in the joints (Google the term "Beighton signs")? I've had years of the same thing on fingers/toes, many joints, with also spontaneous and very stingy and painful, at least until the bruise (or multiple bruises) start to appear.  It's also important to ensure to check for autoimmune diseases like lupus, too.  I've had hematomas, cysts, masses, bruises, inside and out, and, yes, these finger and toe bursts for at least 20 years.  Sometimes it seems to worsen with hormonal changes and low pressure in the weather.  I've also been sick with very bizarre symptoms for many years, yet it took almost 20 years to find a diagnosis. If you have any relatives that die prematurely of aneurysms or dissections, it is important to be checked for Marfan's or EDS (start with a peer-reviewed Rheumatologist that is affiliated with a major city hospital); EDS is rare, so most docs will miss it.
26yo female & fairly healthy. Had this type of bump appear on my left index finger on middle inside of joint for no reason tonight, but hasn't popped yet. A little frightened but called my mom and she said my grandma would have veins pop in her fingers when she spanked her kids... uh... so I guess it's okay?! Will monitor and update.
I'm 24 and it happens to me (mostly my pinky and index fingers) all the time...well not -all- the time, but often enough that it's just annoying moreso than a concern.  It takes a few hours to get back to somewhat normal but usually it does swell a bit and turn blue-ish.  As far as I know, it's pretty common and nothing to be worried about.

I'd also like to add that I'm in very good shape, exercise regularly, and maintain a healthy diet.

This occurance usually happens when I've strained the finger.  For example, if I'm tying my shoes forcefully (sounds funny I know) or I pick something up with only a couple of fingers.  It has to "hit" just the right way for it to cause a burst though.
I'm female,42 yrs, and have Reynards! I eat pretty healthy (Pescetarian) but still smoke (trying to cut down, on 10 -15 per day). I had this yesterday for the first time ever, in right thumb joint whilst going to grab shower gel in the shower. Bloody scary, as you all know! My first thoughts were that my my blood was too thin, because I've been taking Flax oil (2000mg X twice per day ) and Evening Primrose oil (1000 mg once a day) {Both Blood thinners}, I also eat quite a bit of garlic and currently have 1 glass red wine a day (though want to stop that soon except for weekends.!). I asked my Doctor about Omega 3 causing this and she said No. I have also had the odd nose bleed in the past. It's been great to read about all of your experiences and thoughts. Will try to eat more Vitamin K, Bioflavanoids and take a Multi-vitamin fairly reguarly, and be as healthy as possible and see what happens! Iv'e been stressed lately, any one else had stress around time of 'Finger Poppin'? I think we need to be careful with supplements so we don't overdose. Thankyou for sharing : )
I'm 56 and a  healthy female, with the exception of encountering Raynaud's phenomenon since by early 40's. My Mom, sister and both of my brothers also are affected by Raynaud's phenomenon.  I've had 5 instances in the last two years of broken blood vessels in my right hand, in the middle finger. I know when it is going to occur, as I feel a burning in the middle of my palm, see the blood vessel bulge in my middle finger, and then it turns blue and swells.  If you have Raynaud's phenomenon, don't put ice on the area. Use warm moist heat, and elevate your hand above your head. My rheumotologist couldn't figure out what causes this; I've had an arteriogram, and did find out that I have restricted blood flow on the right side of my body.  I'm on a low dose of amlodepine.  My last attack was aggravated by a lot of lifting, and carrying of plastic shopping bags.  A visit to a hand specialist revealed nothing.  
Thank God other people are experiencing this too!  (And a LOT of people by the look of it!) No one in my family has seen this before, and none of my friends either.  I try to explain what it feels like, but no one understands.  Mine are not as severe as others have described, but it definitely hurts like a bee sting.  It only happens on the ring finger of my right hand, at the knuckle crease closest to the end of my finger.  If I grab something "just right" I'll feel the tiniest little pop, then the bee sting, then my finger goes cold, then hot, gets super itchy, then all I'm left with is a little bruise at the sight no bigger than the diameter of a pencil eraser.  My finger doesn't swell, and the pail doesn't last any longer than 15-20 minutes.  My blood pressure is perfect, I don't have a thyroid problem, and I don't take pain killers regularly.  I've never gone to a doctor about this since I don't feel like wasting my time money, but like I said my symptoms are not that severe.  I just think it's because that actually vein is so close to the skin, that if I put just the right amount of pressure on it, it burst.  Usually happens when I'm opening a door or something.
I have the same painfull popping vein problem for the past year, but was recently diagnosed with SLE..Systemic Lupus Erythematos. Please google the symptoms since SLE can be fatal if not treated. One of the symptoms mentioned is Raynaud's phenomenon. My heart & liver functions are abnormal already..the treatments include cortizone, Folic Acid and Magnesium. Since taking these meds, I suffer less from popping veins. (Yes, also gained about 5kgs!!!)
48 year old woman-  my mother told me that I had raynauds like she had when I was a kid living in snowy upstate NY.  ( my hands would always overact to changes in temperature as I'd go in and outdoors. )

I have experienced blood vessels bursting in my fingers for about 15 years.  The symptoms are similar to other reports...spurious bursting near joints on the palm side of my hands.  Stinging pain followed by blue swelling that would go away in screw days.

Certain actives would aggravate it-- carrying paint cans by the swing handle would ALWAYS cause it.....but sometimes they would just spontaneously burst.

I will try some of the recommendation like vitamin k.

I would like to add that I have had 4 strokes in the past.  Because of the vascular nature of this finger phenomena I  do have concerns that my blood vessels are compromised in some way and that my risk of future stroke is elevated.  

Does anyone have any comments about that?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
I wish I could... but since doctors have no clue what we are talking about, no correlations to other vascular problems are being explored.
I also have this happening.  I'm 52 &  female.  It's probably been going on for about 3 or 4 years.  Not as often as some of you though.  I'm thinking it's our diet over the years.  Do any of you eat a lot of junk food?  Drink alot of Coke, etc.?  I know I have not eatten properly for years off and on.  I don't eat a lot of fruit which is good for your veins.  Grapes, Oranges, Berries.  I eat them sporatically and maybe that's why mine  only happens once in a while.  I'm going to start eatting a better diet,  I hope for the remainder of my life.   If I don't have this problem again, I will let you know.  It's the best answer I can come up with, especially since we were not designed to eat junk food!!!
Well, I can debunk that theory. I don't eat junk food, haven't drank pop since I was 11 yrs. old and I make my own fresh food 90% of the time.
Does anyone have any other strange happenings with other body functions?
eg:  strange urine odor? Or ...?
I just had this happen yesterday. I am only 21 years old so something like this really concerned me.  I had been doing no physical activity prior to the incident so I was baffeled. I noticed a sharp pain in my pinky finger, shooting towards the tip so I looked down and saw a purple knot extending from the midsection of the underside of the finger.  Since it was a sunday the only place around where I would have been able to be seen was the e.r. After a needless x-ray and consult with the doctor I recieved the same news--that she didn't know what it was but that it was nothing to be worried about and my body would absorb the blood.  She mentioned renauld's and ruled that out when I had no other symptoms.  It has settled down to a small bruise now but it bothers me to think that this could happen again and to learn that so many others have experienced this.
In your 90% fresh food did you have any fresh asparagus???  That will make your urine smell.
I have had these bursting blood vessels in my fingers too.  I won't go to the doctor because they never seem to know anything.  No offense to the medical profession, it just seems like I have weird things that aren't the norm.  I have blood pressure on the low side.  I am a 49 yo woman. and started with this problem a couple of years ago.  I am healthy, non smoker. No medications.  I do have symptoms of fibromyalgia but it is not severe.  I am hyper mobile.  My vessel bursting was not related to anything I carried or touched, as all four times this has happened I haven't been using my hands at all.  Same description stinging pain at the joint and then it turns blue and then bruises.  Three times in my pinky one time in the thumb
You're right about them not being able to tell you what is wrong.  I've heard that a lot from other people and myself also.  They have a lot of fancy machines that cost a lot of money for patients, but they can't seem to detect anything.  Back when I was younger, they used to ask for a urine sample, check your tongue, throat, eyes, ears and tell a lot about you.  Anyway, I have low blood pressure also.  It used to be in the normal range until about 5 years ago.  I'm 52 now, so when I was 47, it started.  Also, my fingers pop vessels when I am not doing anything.  Don't think you're weird, because it's happening to a lot of people apparently.
I am a 51 year old slim fit woman with low blood pressure (this seems to be a theme) and I started getting these burst blood vessels on my fingers and toes about 5 years ago. It seems to happen when there are rapid changes in temperature ie I have been cold for a while and then get warm. Painful itching which I now recognise and hold the affected limb above my heart or apply cool water which seems to limit swelling and bruising. I recently did a blood pressure experiment for a friend at university (totally unrelated) which showed up I have poor veinous (sp?) return which I suppose is linked with low blood pressure. Maybe this is connected? Glad to know people have had it for many years!!
Hi, I'm a male, 21 years old. I reached this forum through google. I believe I have the same thing as many of you do. In the bottom joint of my middle finger I noticed a greenish bump that pained if I touched it. I'm pretty sure this is a blood vessel that has popped out of position or has burst? (Unsure which one) I tried pushing it back in and it seemed to work for minute but then it reappeared. I'm pretty sure I got this from playing basketball because my fingers get impacted a lot when I play. Also I'm pretty sure that same joint has been injured before while playing basketball but never something like this. Anyway I hope this helps shed some light on how these things happen. Also from the few posts I've read, these things go away on their own? I read somewhere else that one person stuck a needle in it (and I assume drained the blood) and it was gone.
No asparagus.  The smell I was actually referring to for me is heavy Smoked Ham.  There is a tread on MedHelp here that has another group of people with something that the doctors have no clue what we are talking about.
Hmmm.... I, too, have low blood pressure.
I have been following this thread and others relating to the same subject as I have had this since my 20's - I am now 50 and fit and well. I too have low blood pressure. This evening a vessel burst in the palm of my hand whilst sitting watching tv? But on previous occasions it has usually happened by turning on a tap or some sort of pressure on the hand or fingers.  The pain ranges depending on the size of the vessel that bursts. Strange that the doctors don't seem to know what the cause is.
I am 51 and have had the same problem with blood vessels breaking in my hands for no reason.  Happens at least every other month or so.  Last night I broke one in my left big toe.  I has just setting and it happened.  Like everyone else....dr's just look at you like you are nuts.  I too have very low blood pressure (always have).  Interesting that others have that too.
Before any of you start to take vit k, see your Dr. Be aware that this is a vit to help your blood clot. If too much is taken then it could lead to heart attack and more problems worse then what you have. If you eat a lot of green and leafy vegies then you should have all the vit K you need. As a rule people usaully get enough vit K from their vegies. I have the same problem with my blood vessels but have kindly gotten used to it. I already have heart problems so I don't need anymore then what I have. I take lipitor and thats another reason not to take extra vit K. Good luck to you all .
It's amazing how active this thread is.  This happened to me for the first time last night while I was putting some dishes in the sink.  I commented to my husband about it and he: a.) calmed me down, and b.) told me this has also happened to him several times.  We are in our late 30s.  Hard to say from this thread whether it happens more frequently in women.  I have also have mild Raynaud's and slightly below average blood pressue.  My husband doesn't have Raynaud's or low blood pressue, but he does work with his hands a lot and his experiences may be more related to trauma - whereas in my experience it appeared practically spontaneously.

I haven't bothered to go to the doctor, b/c it doesn't seem like anything that could be easily diagnosed or prevented. However, if it reoccurs I will certain discuss it at my next check-up.
I have the same thing and I'm a horse person too.  I found I have to wear gloves anytime I go to the barn - even in the summer.  It makes the "vessel burst" less frequent but doesn't stop it.  This also seem to happen spontaneously.  Yesterday, as I was driving my pickup to the barn and had my gloves on, the vessels broke in the two end joints in my left index finger.  All I was doing was driving!  It is quite painful and then the finger gets cold.  I don't know if the swelling from the internal bleeding compresses the arteries along the sides of the fingers or if it is just a vasoconstriction reaction to the breaking blood vessel in the body's attempt to slow the blood flow.  I had no idea there were so many of us with this problem until I googled it and came to this site.  Is there a vascular specialist on this list who can tell us what's going on?
Check out this link. http://www.ejvesextra.com/article/S1533-3167%2805%2900083-X/fulltext

I had this happen in the pad of my foot and twice in my index finger over the past three years. I am a 61 yo female with no medical issues except thyroid medication.
I have recently experienced my first two instances of this , both within 2 days. My left hand ring finger swelled and slightly throbbed then turned blue as if it were bruising.  I was eating a new Chinese dish and assumed a possible allergic reaction as I was somewhat flush and briefly felt as if I might have an elevated temperature.  All symptoms subsided within an hour excluding my finger swelling and looking bruised for a few hours. I did not see anything specific to a popped blood vessel, just bruising.   The bruising, swelling and pain occurred on my right hand today while cooking.  This time the finger was much more bruised and painful from the knuckle up to the finger pad.  I am female,  47 years old, 5' 6", 140 lbs and overall great health, no blood pressure issues. I do have very poor circulation, severe spider veins and am always cold. Live in TX.  Would love to find out what this is and how to prevent it.
This happens all the time and for years. I would get a sharp pain in the crease of my finger, look down and watch as it turned blue, swelled and spread.  About a week ago it happened on my thumb.  My whole thumb turned black and blue and it went a way in a couple of days.  It just happened again to the same thumb but not as bad.  I quickly put ice on it.  Not sure if that helped or not.  It wasn't as bad as last time.  I find that it happens a lot to me then stops for quite some times and then starts back up.  My husband thought I should see a doctor but since it has been happening for so long I told him I'd check the web first.  Didn't know it was so common.
I'm a 38 year old male. I just had my first ever burst blood vessel in the ring finger of my right hand, right by the first joint. I'm in crazy good shape, and I eat very healthy, and I have no idea why it happened..it really freaked me out, so I googled and found this site.

And...I have a theory, please let me know if you have noticed anything similar:

The only thing I've change about my diet in a very long time is that this week is I started eating a crap load of pineapple, about 6 days ago..since I heard,...it was supposed to help with the flavor of, uh...something...Anyhow I googled pineapple, and it contains:
"Bromelain enzymes" ...wiki says this:

"Pineapple enzymes are said to prevent blood clots and improve blood circulation. As previously mentioned, pineapple contains the enzyme bromelain. Bromelain enzymes have been proven to speed recovery from anything dealing with swelling and tissue damage such as ulcers, arthritis, surgeries, injuries and such."

Does this make any sense? I mean, its not like it says "pineapples make blood vessels burst" ,...but maybe this is a hint for all you doctor types out there??

I will definitely post the next time this happens with any updated 'theories'...I really watch what I eat, and I definitely didn't injure my hand in any way...so my change in diet is the only thing I can possibly think of that could cause it.
Hi , just found this on googling.
I'm 60 year old slender woman , lowish blood pessure.
Sponteous purpura/petechaie on arms and legs and fingers mainly since menopause, especially when carrying heavy shopping.
Doctors are useless re this complaint , so am self-medicating with vit c , also other capillary-wall strengtheners such as grapeseed extract and bilberry extract.
Am worried about strokes/aneurisms too.
Very annoyed about doctors' disinterest.
Interesting. God only knows if we have eaten pineapple all those times. I will certainly be
aware now. Since I only eat pineapple once in a blue moon and only get the popping the same, I suppose I can't rule the idea out.
It seems that most people posting here are fairly slim .. ie not much fat on their bodies.

I'd like to ask another question? ... Have any / many of you have several dental root canals?

Thx
Actually i have quite a few root canal fillings, also crowns on posts. What connection can you see?
We mostly seem to have low body fat (fat under the skin protects blood vessels) but also low blood pressure ; i can't see this connection at all, i would have thought high BP would be more of a problem.
i also have the subconjunctival haemorrages in eyes.
hello my name isJose i am 24 years old and the vein in my foot ispoppin out the top of my foot by a 1/4 inch and it feels like some one droppedna 20lbs weight on it it is a constant dull burning pressure how do i get it to go away this happend within ten minutes of using my imatrex injection how do i get it to go away
I am a 43 year old female. The first one happened under my my second toe. It was so itchy then boom it burst. Yesterday I was just sweeping and on my right hand it happened to my curse finger (of all the ones lol) I could feel it happening felt like a bite then a sting then it swelled and was blue under the skin. It was on the inside of the hand under the knuckle. After I showered I guess the hot water made it go away but today it is very stiff. I recently stopped taking baby aspirin every night after a stress test should I had no heart issues or clogged arteries. I figured I didn't need them. I thought it had something to do with that. Now I see so many others suffer from this.
I refuse to go to the dr. for more tests that cost more money then I have. My only concern is could this happen to near or to vital organs?
Update - I just wanted to add that I have also had low blood pressure all of my life, but strangely in the last few years its started getting higher, and actually closer to normal now.

The other interesting thing - I did just get a dental cleaning about 1 week before I got the burst blood vessel. And, I thought they had been a little more wicked with the cleaning than usual - my mouth hurt a bit near the gums, and I also got a bit of a sore throat/swollen lymph nodes on my neck, that I attributed to the teeth cleaning, and I actually did have a bit of a those symptoms still when this happened.
I found this forum when Googling "itchy finger" + "burst blood vessel" - I have the same background and symptoms as many of you.

I'm a 37 y/o female, 5'5", 124 lbs. I take 1/2 of a multi-vitamin with iron and calcium every day, but no medication (except for Maxalt and Aleve when I get a migraine.) I do cardio, yoga, and light weights 5 days a week and keep to a pretty healthy diet.

The burst blood vessel happened a few hours ago when I was walking into my kitchen. My left ring finger felt like a small piece of glass had gotten under the skin. I scratched at it, then watched the bruise bloom into a half-inch long spot.

My mother (58) and her father (89) have both had this condition (whatever it is) for years without severe complications. However, I'm making an appointment with my family doctor today and will check back in here if I find out anything that may be of value to anyone else.

I can't tell you what a comfort it was finding this community.
amazing! I have had this on palms, fingers and soles of feet since 20's and am now 55. used to notice it would get worse when stopped birth control pill for week-estrogen levels go down. Now that in menopause noticing more frequent. Mother and Grandmother had it, no MD has ever named it!
Seems like a lot of us are runners.... fairly healthy diets, in overall decent health.... I'm a 33 yr old female, vegetarian, drink coffee regularly, take a strong multivitamin along with a grapeseed extract pill, daily.  I seldom take any asprin or ibuprophin~practically never.  
Just was squeezing the end of my lotion out of the bottle and felt a familiar tenderness on my right pointer finger.  It's only happened to me one other time and it was long enough ago that I don't remember when and it must not have lasted long because I don't remember being too concerned about it.  This time I googled it because it's the 2nd time and I am curious if I am doing something to cause it, and/or if I can help prevent it.  Mine is a small blue spot on the top joint of the finger and it is slightly swollen and achy now.  It definitely helps to keep it elevated and keep bending my fingers~ keep it flowing I guess...?! I'll post again if it worsens...
I had it in the top of my foot all week- still going on. I have had these for decades (I am in my late 40s). It's the first time I've had one in my foot. I cannot imagine it being anything but a small clot. That is a little scary. I also have suffered from migraines (severe) but only about 1 or 2 a year. Hmmm.
Great description of it - I just had it happen on the side of my foot, right under my right little toe, while I was taking a shower! Suddenly felt this stinging pain, like a wasp had stung me or something, looked down and could see it swelling so fast, the skin tightening until I had this big lump on the side of my foot, and it's slightly blue. Scared me, it swelled up so fast!! (and the reason I'm on here trying to figure out what happened and how to treat it) It hurts now, can't walk on it. Grateful for the moist heat advice, I'll try that, thank you!! Hope this doesn't become a frequent occurrence, it hurts! Glad that wedding I went to was last weekend and not this weekend (or maybe it was standing on my feet in 4" heels for several hours led to it?), I can't even stand on it in a padded slipper right now!
I'm really glad I found this forum.  This just happened to me for the first time today, on the middle joint of my right hand middle finger.  I wasn't doing anything with my hands at the moment; the stinging and swelling just started out of nowhere, and then a purple/red bruise formed.  I'm 40, average weight, slightly low blood pressure.

This might sound weird, but could flossing one's teeth be one cause?  I've always been very bad about flossing my teeth but the dentist just convinced me to change my ways, so for the last month I've been flossing every morning.  I wrap the floss around my middle finger and by the time I'm done it gets so tight that my finger tip turns purple.  Could that have put extra pressure on my veins that made one burst a few hours later?

I do have spider veins, and my mother has bad spider veins and a couple of varicose veins.  Her mother died during varicose vein surgery.  All the women on that side of the family tend to feel cold a lot.
We mostly seem to be health-conscious, athletic, fairly slim ; the low blood pressure probably an affect of our healthy lifestyles.
I suggest this problem may be related to low body fat , the usual fat layer in the skin acting as a shock-absorber to the blood vessels.
Any comments on this?
My experience with this is limited.  I had a friend who was having problems with popping blood vessels.  They took her to a lot of doctors, and there were a lot of false diagnoses.  In the end, she got almost completely off blood thinners.  That helped a bit.  She also started using vitamins and changes her diet.  
Today I have spoken with my doctor about the blood vessels in my fingers popping. Like many other people's doctors, mine was somewhat bemused, but of course I am now on my way to the hospital for tests. I am 53 years old and have had this problem since late thirties.  What we need is to join forces and get someone to do some research into it. What worries me is that some of you are recommending treatments for something we don't have a diagnosis for and if you don't know what you're treating then be careful.
Guys, Jude 626 posted this website early this month:

http://www.ejvesextra.com/article/S1533-3167%2805%2900083-X/fulltext

This is exactly what's going on with me. I just had in the last 3 weeks the same vessel pop in my thumb 5 times each time with less and less severity.  I knew it never healed right and kept waiting for it to pop again.  Finally feels ok now.  I am on migraine meds almost daily which the article mentions.  Take a look at the article.  It mentions other things but it is nice to put a name to what is happening.  I am going to have my doctor friend take a look at the article.  Keep you posted
You're right. Vitamin K is really important in blood clotting (just google it). And, it makes sense that if you are deficient in Vitamin K, your blood won't clot correctly for even the smallest ruptures in your blood vessels. Even if you're taking a multi-vitamin or eating Vit. K rich foods, you may be having problems absorbing these nutrients (or just overloading your kidney, seriously). Your gut bacteria are responsible for recovering most of the Vitamin K in your diet, so there may be some linkage to digestive problems or imbalances in your gut flora.

I've just started having problems with my blood vessels popping in my fingers and I'm only 24. I've noticed that I've been having diarrhea lately and really bad heartburn. I thought everything has been stress-induced, but it may be just a GI problem. I will be going to a doctor to check this out and see what he says.
omg i have had this problem for a long time it started with a lump in my index finger on the nuckle which sometimes swelled up and became really painful. recently i have had the poping sensation and brusing in my toe and nearly every day since in my fingers. i am so worried about it and am thinking it was blood clots. havent been to see a doctor yet not sure it is worth going after reading everyones emails.
I've had all the bloodtests  (cell counts , platelets, clotting time etc) and everything's normal.
Still getting the ruptured capillaries , mainly fingers , and on muscular areas of upper arms and calves.
Certainly MUCH improved with the grapeseed extract but doctor  (though sceptical) is offering to refer me but doesn't quite know to which department!
I wanted to find out what I was experiencing and lo and behold found this this site.  Now I know that I'm not making thins up and that there are other people  who've experienced  the same thing.  Thanks to your posts I can await what this may be in the near future.  I had the finger vein pop this morning and am so glad I decided to check the internet.  
  I have had several blood vessels rupture, the largest was in my left wrist. Just a few days ago one in my right index finger. About four days earlier I had gotten some numbness in the fingers of my right hand after carrying a grocery bag----maybe 15 minutes. But the numbness stayed with my index and middle finger into the next day. I see where some of you have mentioned Vitamin K. I know I am low on Vit. D and my B 12 and ferritin has been dropping over the years but are still in range.  But this makes me wonder what other vitamins I may be dificeint in. Also, my veins are large and very visible. Anyone else notice their veins like this? I also bruise very easy, ugly ones..I have to cover them.
Another note: I do have med problems and am on medication.
Everyone should look up hughes syndrome.
Yesterday I was sitting out at my brother's ball game when I *think* this is what I experienced.  I was putting on my coat and when I pulled my arm out, my knuckle on my middle finger was irritated (it hurt and kind of itched, but I didn't see any visible irritant.)  Within 30 seconds, my knuckle was swollen and hard under the skin.  It turned almost black with a hard white center, but it didn't really spread.  There was no ice, but it continued to stay swollen.  We thought there must have been a spider or something in my coat, but since we weren't sure what it was, I went to the ER.  They prodded at it and "diagnosed" it as an allergic reaction [to what I have no idea] and gave me a topical antibiotic and an oral steroid.  (I understand the oral steroid, but the antibiotic made no sense........if it was an allergic reaction, how would that help!?)  So after my friend and I researched the medicine, I decided that couldn't be very beneficial.  Then we researched "broken blood vessels in knuckles."  Viola!  Here we are!  So many people are having similar scenarios that I am convinced this has to be it.  I am in my 20s, but have been experiencing stress and high blood pressure recently.  Thank you for the thread and all the helpful advice!
Just to add to that....not my skin around the knuckle is very tight and I can't bend it all the way......it's just achy and when I touch it it gets itchy....now it looks like a deep bruise.  Anyone find any remedies for how to take care of it???
I've been experiencing these blood vessel pops in my fingers for the past few yearsand now, my inner elbow and behind my knees have experience them too...when it happened behind my knees, a little hard knot formed...they told me not to worry about it at the doctors...I've never had high blood pressure, but last year I was diagnosed with a right ventricle dilitation...I believe it's all connected and that the Hughes Syndrome may be connected too...I always have a difficult time giving blood...the doctor put me on a blood pressure med to reduce the palpitations and skipped heart beats I have been experiencing...sometimes it feels like my heart is going to be the blood vessel that pops....was glad to see I'm not alone and that all these people have the same disinterest from their doctors...I thought it was just me...btw, I am overweight, and having mobility issues too...I keep thinking I have MS...a lot of the symptoms fit...but, then some don't...hope others get some answers...
my left ring finger started hurting at the first knuckle without trauma and now it is very painful and slightly swollen. Can't bend it at all. I have Raynaud's, am a 49 yr old healthy female, no BP issues... hmm there are a lot of connections here!  No sign of popping ie bruising. some referral pain going up the arm. Some family history of weak vein walls...Might go to the clinic tomorrow as it is the weekend.
I'm still having same problems ; last week i was cutting some long grass with shears , suddenly popped small  blood vessel in a line down upper arm.
Doctor is sending me for full range of blood tests next week ,i'll report back with results...
I did my regular routine sleep, wakeup, workout, drink soy protein, bathe, get dressed for work and then i felt it on my finger, I stared at it without blinking saw it go from bruised to swollen and tight to blue, put ice on it and left for work. I am 134 lbs, 29, 5'5". I do not drink caffeine for 1 month now. I have not drank alcohol for about the same time I am trying to get healthy. I do not smoke, I do not do drugs, I do not take any aspirin or tylenol. Last week I was on Zithromax due to a dental implant but it was not for an infection, more to like avoid an infection. Physical last September showed nothing out of the ordinary. ALways had low blood pressure. I am so scared. I do not know what this is and I dont want it to go any further. I am almost positive I do not have anemia or a vitamin dificency, Now I am going to have to go to the dr not good.
Thanks for v. useful comments. I will try the vit K for this. Von Willebrand disease looks like a possibility for some cases: wikipedia says 1 in 100 have this, mostly without symptoms. More common in O blood group (this is my own, and I've had the symptoms for 5+ years now.)
Ladies, while reading through your postings I read your grandmothers and mothers have had this too, almost as if it were genetic. So I decided I would call my mom I told her exactly what happened to me this morning and she said IT ALSO happens to her. She is 59 and has had about 5 episodes. The first episode happened about 5 years ago, but ladies me and my mom both have lbp all our lives, but I am only 29, her first finger episode was in her 50s.
kraftie my biological father which I have never met also died of an aneurism (aneurysm) in his late 40s. I am 29 and today was my first episode of this weird situation that scares me also.
I've done genealogical research on medical conditions in my family, but I never thought to question about vein popping. If it's genetic, and if this is a vitamin deficiency or Von Willebrand disease, this might help doctors figure it out and give help to others.

I'm 31, and I just had a vein in my left middle finger top joint burst, and man is it painful!!! It swelled up huge in just seconds and is already bruising. I have ice on it now. It's happened before, but not frequently. I also bruise a lot, and my bruises last for weeks. I recall that my mother had veins to burst on her knees all the time, like weekly. My sister also has issues with tiny veins. All us girls get migraines. I'll have to ask the ladies in my family (and men too, it might not be gender-specific) if they get this.
I have recently experienced this problem, first was my left little finger, then the palm of my right hand and then my right middle finger, and just last week an internal haemarrhoid!  Like the other posters, I experience an intense unprevoked pain, visual swelling of the blood vessel, and then bruising and sometimes itching.  When it happened to my right middle finger I went straight to my GP who had no idea of what was causing it, so has referred me to an haematologist.  I can't get in until late July or early August, so will keep taking photographic evidence if it happens again before then.

I am a fit 45 year old female, have a family history of von willibrands disease.  I have low blood pressure, on no meds, but am starting pre-menopause.  I have recently lost 20kgs, so am the healthiest I have been in quite a while!  I will update after I have seen the haematologist, but I am relieved to see that I am not alone in this bizarre disorder!
I also have had this problem off and on in my fingers, but always when I can link it to carrying or grabbing something. I also had increased bleeding time at the time when it was most frequent.  I just had another incident after a long period without any problems.  I think it may relate to the fact that I have recently been drinking a lot of pomegranate juice: I just looked it up, and it is a natural blood thinner.  So I'm going to stop the juice and try the vitamin K.  I think this may be my answer.  I'll also increase my vitamin C.
I am in other wise great health, BP normal, 60 years old, good diet, but drink a lot of coffee, which I saw on one site might deplete vitamin K.

When this happens in my finger, I've found that ice and wrapping the finger tightly immediately both help with reducing the spread of the bruising.
So I had another episode while away for the weekend.  no more than 5 days from my very first episode. yesterday i went to the doctor and explained this-md says it may be allergies. i told her the only thing i have taken for 1 month is soy protein, and I stopped after my first episode. on the day of my second episode i drank soy protein again. does anyone else here workout and drink soy protein?
  I don't "work out" as such , but do a hell of a lot of really strenuous lifting/digging/carrying. , and my arm muscles are ridiculously developed.
Most of my episodes of ruptured capillaries occur straight after a bout of strenuous activity , i often wonder whether weight-trainers get similar sympoms?
I am relieved to find this, but may or may not help others with my comment.  I actually had a brain aneurysm 7 years ago.  This must be associated with thin veins.  My father died of a stroke.  I'm thinkiing my Dr. will not be of help, and the swelling is going down with ice.  Vitamin K may make blood thicker but will not help thin veins.  I would monitor this in all areas.  Just to be safe.
I am 47 and have had this happen periodically for the last year.  I am hard on my hands (lots of lifting), but it doesn't correlate with that.  It does seem more common when I'm nearing my period (still have 'em).  I also have foot and leg cramps sometimes, usually after heavy activity though.

I have lowish blood pressure, am 5'6" and 150 pounds.  I am vegetarian, have Reynaud's (but rarely experience any symptoms, maybe once or twice a year, some).
Thanks to all that posted. I am a 55 year old female who also has had blood vessels pop in my hands without any injury. The bruises were preceded by pain that felt let my hand was hit by a hammer. About ten years ago I went to an armload of specialists (vascular, cardiology, rheumatology, orthopedist, internal medicine, emergency medicine) none of whom ever heard of this problem, but pronounced me in otherwise excellent health. I have low blood pressure, take meds regularly for allergies, not overweight, recently started taking hormone replacement therapy.  I just had a serious adverse reaction to Crestor, which I recently started taking and the bruises started again, for the first time on the instep of my foot, which is taking longer to resolve.  I was recently identified as having a high iron level and slightly elevated red blood cell count. I am worried that I will wind up with a lung aneurism (aneurysm), heart attack or stroke at some point if the vessel that decides to pop is located in my lung, brain or heart. The last doctor (a rheumatologist) ten years ago was so incensed that he, a prestigious MD from Harvard Medical School didn't know the cause, that he recommended I go to psychiatrist. Needless to say I did not follow Dr. Harvard's advice as I do not think the bruises are psychological and thought his advice was based on ego rather than factual understanding.

Any advice would be welcome.  Thanks.
I can sympathise wuth this; my current G.P.has suggested CBT for health anxiety.
She is doing her best , though, and has just given me all possible blood tests -- all with normal results .
I continue to rupture capillaries in arms , fingers , and occasionally eyes and legs. She is offering to refer me to a haematologist.
Constantly worried re brain haemmorrage etc...
All posts have been reassuring though frustrating that no Medic student has done any studies on this? Must be good for a thesis!  I am almost 49 and have had this since my teens, have always been active, been a range of weights and sizes, though no extremes and eat a variety of foods. I have an amazingly low cholesterol count yet this annoying issue is still occurring. I had a hysterectomy over 10 years ago due to excessive constant bleeding and as a young child suffered sudden and excessive bleeding from my finger nails, though this stopped at puberty. GP's down the years have failed to identify what it is. I worked on a dialysis unit in my 20's so was able to monitor my blood clotting count which was always normal, so I would love an answer.  I will be looking at the vitamin K levels as this seems worth a try and less coffee for sure! I am a little concerned as I have been experiencing migraines for the past year and had never had a headache of any type previously. I wonder if there is such a thing as over producing blood which would eventually cause a burst...perhaps our systems are working too well.  I was a blood donor when I was younger and that is the only time I never suffered?
I am 54, female and menopausal.  I can't say how long this has been happening, but it seems to be happening more frequently now.  It happens in my fingers only, along joint creases and is usually because I've been doing something like carrying a grocery bag, or, just today, I was opening up a tight lid on a jar.  

It feels like a pinch, then there is a blue spot, a very light bruise and then it goes away.  I've visited the web sites about Von Villebrand's disease and it sounds like the most likely explanation for me. I've posted a link to this web site on facebook for my family members to go and check out, asking them if they've had any occurrences.  No word back from them yet.
I have a half brother, who when he was young, had nose bleeds all the time and I've always been easily bruised.  I just thought it was due to my very white, porcelain skin.  I mean, you can easily see my blood veins through my skin and if I tan, there's no way to tell it unless I show you an untanned area.  I'm just really pale.
One word of caution, with Von Villebrand's disease, they warn you not to take aspirin or ibuprofen, and to warn your doctor if you go in for surgery.  I never had a problem with either aspirin or ibuprofen until I started going through menopause.  I used to take ibuprofen for cramps and one day after I had taken it, I felt like a fire was going through my body. It started at my feet and went all the way through my body and made my hair on my head feel like it was standing on end.  
Shortly after that, I had Mohs Surgery on my nose and I thought I was going to stroke out.  They were giving me a local anesthetic and epinephrine.  After that, I had the same feeling occur a couple of times at the dentists office after getting the pain shots.
When I think back on my most recent occurrences, they do seem to have happened after a short period of taking aspirin  And I do NOT take ibuprofen any more. I'm afraid of it, of what it might do to me.
Hmm , i too have very low cholesterol levels. Google tells me that extremely low levels are linked with haemmorraghic stroke.
Has anyone else here had levels tested recentl;y?
Wow! Lots of people have this condition. It just happened to me for the first time. It has been suggested by a dr (but not actually diagnosed) that I have Reynauds and I know it runs in our family. I know Vit C strengthens the vein walls so bruising is not as prevalent. People who have connective tissue disorders bruise easily and are told to take Vit C, 1000 mg/day for that. I just started taking LARGE amounts of fish oil and I suspect I am taking too much and thats the cause, as fish oil helps blood flow better which helps many cardiac etc conditions but I suspect I am taking too much, especially since I also have the connective tissue thing. So Ill cut back some and see if this continues.  Vit K helps blood clot which is why that one person found it helped.  Raw cabbage has Vit K. Hope these tidbits of info help someone out there.
I too have had bruises on my fingers and hands for many years.  It starts the same way a pinch and suddenly I see a bruise.  When I touch the bruise I don't feel a pain, like I would if I bumped my hand and gradually got a bruise.  I have one right now on the top of my between the thumb and pointer fingers.  I am overweight but my hands and arms are thin.  My skin is thin on my hands.  I'm 62 and I have low blood pressure.  I did go to my GP when I first saw this happen.  He sent me to a Rheumatologist who took lots of blood tests.  All were normal.  He said he never saw this before.  He asked if I take aspirin.  I do take it for migraines.  He said that could be it.    It seems like a pattern of all the doctors. They don't know what this is!  I can't believe that all of us have this and not one doctor can figure it out!
this problem  can be caused by auto-erythrocyte sensitisation syndrome

http://www.rcpe.ac.uk/journal/issue/journal_38_4/yasmin_soutar_mckay_doig.pdf
I never heard of this before ; also known as Gardner-Diamond Syndrome , it seems to suggest a psychosomatic cause.
Personally i do suffer with anxiety and maybe a little O.C.D., but it's a difficult concept to take in ....
Interesting . . . most of these posts are from otherwise healthy women with low blood pressure, healthy diets and with the problem starting in their late 20s/early 30s.  I wonder how many have migraines as well (I noticed a few have mentioned migraines).  I have had the same problem for years: first the stinging, then the swelling and a spreading bruise at the joint that lasts a few days.  It is at the most very annoying.  Ice usually relieves most of the pain and swelling, and makes the bruising less severe as long as I avoid using that finger for a day or two.  I'm baffled that with so many of us describing the exact same symptoms, no doctor has been able to give a defined diagnosis.  I'd like to know if there is a way to prevent it.  This happens to me at least once every couple of months.  I also wonder if there is any relation to the popping vessels in my finger joints and migraines or low blood pressure.
I have this happen regularly, it happened again yesterday while I was riding my bike. I was holding on w one hand and turned, it seems the pressure was too much. It gets sore,hot and very swollen for several hours, and purple bruised. The next day it is not as painful but the bruise stays for a week or so.
Am I lacking a vitamin or mineral?
Does anyone know what this is?
Yesterday when finishing up a 10 mile bike ride, I also discovered a swollen vein in the underside of my ring finger.  It was right at the crease of the first joint - under my knuckle.   I was surprised at the amount of pain and swelling that occurred right away.  Today it is purple and still swollen.
After reading several comments and looking up Von Villebrand's syndrome, Gardner-Diamond's syndrome, auto-erythrocyte sensitization syndrome, and Hughe's sydrome it appears that broken blood vessels can be caused by a number of reasons.  
To correctly diagnose your situation you would need have your blood drawn for an INR - clotting time.
If your blood is too THIN, when you bang your hand, foot or other, bleeding occurs and it takes a while before it stops - taking vitamin K will boost your ability to clot blood resulting in much less bruising.
If your blood is too THICK, the INR test will show that too. You may be prescribed a blood thinner which will reduce the chance of your body making small clots that travel to your extremities (hands and feet) and break open the capillaries which cause bleeding.  One over the counter blood thinner is aspirin.  You will want to have your doctor look at your blood work, and if necessary prescribe a stronger blood thinner if this is your situation.
Nope , had all the blood tests done ; results were exemplary. Doc mystified.
Regularly get ruptured capillaries on fingers , upper arms , and sometimes legs .
Dr blood test results-Vitamin D dificiency, and uti. I stopped working out with p90x, stopped taking protein shakes, and the finger blood vessels have stopped. I got a referral for optamologist because of blurriness every now and then-have a retinal detachment had to go for immediate next morning eye laser surgery back in one month for a check up. ladies you must keep looking this finger thing cant just be a natural thing.
This just started happening to me in the fingers this month.  Interesting about Vitamin K - My doctor wanted to put me on Vitamin D 3 months ago - she wanted to put me on 50,000 iu's which might seem like alot.   I will check with her on the Vitamin K.  
Good grief!! What a relief to know I'm not the only one experience this weird condition.  I'm 62 yrs. old and for the past 16 months, I get these ruptured blood vessels in my fingers without any real cause...mowing the lawn (the metal handle causes them), twisting a kink out of my garden hose, etc.  These happen with very little effort or trauma to my fingers.  My body thankfully absorbs the blood within 2 days....but it concerns me...it hurts and is extremely sensitive for a few hours after it ruptures...can't bend my fingers.  Is there a physician out there that can explain this condition to us??  Help.
It's very comforting to see so many others suffering from this uncomfortable condition.  I am in my early 60s and have suffered for decades, but lately, it's much worse.  They are happening on the soles of my feet, making walking very painful.  The bruised bumps on my palms last for weeks and make daily activities painful.  They happen when I grab something, or when I w alk barefoot and step on an uneven surface.  

I mentioned this to my Dr a few weeks ago and she had never heard of this problem before. She asked what supplements I take, and said that I should take a break from a few vitamins and see what happens.  

I will ask my Dr. for a referral to a vascular doctor.  This is too crazy to ignore.  

Good wishes to all my fellow sufferers!
I'd like to run this theory past you all ...   Please make an effort to respond .

!) Do you eat rich meats (liver, dark meat) or rich seafoods (oysters, mussels)? Gravy? Asparagus, spinach?
2) Beer drinkers  and High bread and/or sugar diet?
3) Prior to your 'vessel popping', did you use antibiotics within the month prior?
4) Around the time of your 'vessel popping', did you have a yeast infection?

My thinking is that this could be from Uric Acid Crystals formed from high concentrations of Purines in body ... sort of a  'Renegade Quasi Uni Gout'. With Gout, the MANY crystals, are reported to lodge in joints, causing gout's extreme pain and destruction but they have to travel in the bloodstream to get there.  Perhaps this is just ONE Renegade Crystal. ???
The crystals would be hardest or just form at the extremes of the body (eg: Gout's big toe), where temperatures are cooler and Gravity and/ or the blood flow slows ( our low blood pressure even more so!) ....  and/or your hands/feet happen to be involved in a 'cold' activity. Then the Crystal pierces the blood vessel wall.

What do you all think? Search your brains and please comment whether you are Pro or Con to this idea.... and Why.

Thanks,
Carolyn M.
   Toronto, Canada.
1) No ,
2) No
3) No
4) no
  Interesting theory , but doesnt apply in my case as most of my ruptured capillaries occur in upper arms /legs/ occasionally eyes , and sometimes fingers.
Hello.

I first started with the bursts in my fingers back when I was twenty (after I had my daughter). They started with an itch, then a burning; then the painful bruising. 38 years later, I found out I was anaemic after complaining to my doctor about problems that weren't related and asked him for a thyroid test.

Thyroid was fine, but my white cells were smaller than they should have been and weren't carrying enough oxygen to my organs. He put me on iron supplements 300mg that I have to get over the counter and told me to take them every 2nd day.

As a side effect, I noticed that the bursts in my fingers stopped. Recently, I forgot to take my iron for over a week and I just had one yesterday in my forefinger--very painful. I'm not sure, but was personally wondering if this problem was related to an iron deficiency and came across this forum when I googled it.

I was wondering (due to my personal experience) if the problem might be related to imbalanced iron levels in the blood, but I would also caution anyone that wants to look into it to consult with their doctors due to the fact that some people have too much iron in their systems and it would be dangerous for them to take a supplement that contains it. The symptoms of too much iron are also very similar to not having enough.

Things I do right:
-I don't take supplements (except for the iron because I have to). I did when I was younger and found that they were more dangerous to me than they were beneficial
-I eat right. I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian.
-I eat more fish and white meat than I do red meat.
-I mostly eat fresh vegetables and sometimes fruit.
-I make everything from scratch and restrict my sweets to once a week. I also avoid unnatural and refined sweeteners, sticking mostly to agave syrup
-I drink lots of water and green tea; sometimes herbal teas
-I don't take medications for headaches, and I don't take medications for colds/flus (I tough them out)
-I don't drink sodas; except for club soda with lemon and/or lime when I want something fizzy

Things I do wrong:
-I smoke
-I have the occasional alcoholic beverage
-I don't exercise as much as I should
-I caffeinate through green teas, coffee on weekends, and the occasional chocolate bar, etc...

to lawfulmurphy: due to personal experiences, I can't say that my problem is related to rich foods. From what I've gathered from this post, there may be no rhyme, reason, or pattern as to the real cause for this problem. On the other hand, I took my iron this morning and will continue to monitor myself to see if it helps. As for everyone else, I wish I knew the real answer.
Edits to my previous post: I meant to say 18 years later; not 38 years later.

I also forgot to add that when the problem first started in my twenties, my doctor told me that my iron was low, but it was nothing to worry about.  I also never inquired about the popping blood vessels in my fingers--never have, actually. He wasn't concerned about me being aneamic back then and he recommened that I simply take some regular 'shelf' iron supplements because my levels were low. I only did this for a short period of time because I never saw a relation between the two at that time, and it never occured to me that there could be a possible relation until several years later.
Well, here I am, a healthy 63yr old woman who has been having burst blood vessels in fingers (usually right hand) toes & right knee (over a varicose vein) on & off for more years than I know. It never occurred to me even to mention them to a doctor.
From this forum the only constant seems to be low blood pressure (which I was once told is treated as a problem in Germany).
My mother, from whom I inherited the tendency to varicose veins, survived a brain haemorrage and my father, from whom I have inherited the rest of my physique and general health, had recurrent TIAs (mini strokes) in the last few years of his life.  He was prescribed aspirin, my mother was forbidden it.  
As both of my parents lived until they were 82 I am still not going to worry.
I can think of nothing common to the occurrence of these vessel bursting bouts except possibly tiredness and hypotension. (? linked?)
Interesting forum though.
I am a 49 y/o female, that has been having this happen now for 3 years.  It started in my pinky and now happens in both hands on random fingers.  I did some research and came across this thread.  I am healthy, only have asthma that is under control with no medications, b/p is normal, no antibiotics in last 3 years, no history in my family of the same issue, and I take no medications, not even over the counter suppliments.  I eat an organic diet and limit my meats to mostly fish and poultry.  

I did some more research and found that it is a benign syndrome called "Achenbach's syndrome."  It is common and has no known etiology.  It appears to occur suddenly and resolve in a few days.  I am an nurse and have asked several of the doctors I work with about this phenomena.  They too are puzzeled but were helpful in directing me in researching this information.  The burst appears to occur in the capilliaries of the fingers. When it starts, it is better to apply heat than cold to the vessels. I worry about some of you who are contemplating using vitamin K.  If you have a family history of strokes you might be increasing your chances by increasing your platelet count  Vitamin C seems reasonable since most doctors recommend this vitamin if you have excessive bruising to heal the body.  Other than that, there is no other information available.

Again I am only a nurse.  I am not a doctor.  Maybe the next time you visit your family doctor, you can mention this to them.  If they aren't made aware of the problem, they will never learn either.  It is almost impossible for doctors to know everything.  I hope this helps.  
I had this happen on my shin 4 days ago, the bruise is still there, about an inch wide and four inches long, the itch, the sting, the swelling that was blue then purple and now green and yellow along with the purple.  Then yesterday I had it on the back of my thumb, over the joint where the thumb joins the palm.  It has happened on my hands and arms, feet, wrist, all fingers, the palm of my hand, the back of my hand.  Weak blood vessels, eh?  Well I got pictures and will be seeing my doc on the 10th of June...have to show and tell.
BTW, I have been vegetarian all my life, vegan for approximately 10 months, and it has been happening off and on for about 10 or more years.
Do you think it may have something to do with low bodyfat?
A lot of us seem to be pretty health-conscious, as with the low blood pressure etc , and the layer of fat beneath the skin acts as a shock-absorber to some degree. I am certainly low in fat , my blood vessels are quite prominant. (Vegetarian for 30 years,)
I have found that Grapeseed Extract is v v good for strengthening the blood vessel walls ; i have been taking 100mg per day for a year or so , and have noticed a marked improvement.
I have been having these popping bleeds for more than 30 years and this is the first time I have EVER had anyone even remotely understand what I am talking about. I am 68 years old, in good health, and of average weight.I eat a healthy diet a well as exercise. I find that I get many more incidences in the hot weather. It almost never happens in the winter. I have learned to raise the affected arm and put ice on it immediately. This keeps the finger or wrist from swelling but it still discolors for a few days. My friend who is a vascular surgeon said I had "fragile veins" and told me not to worry about it, I, too, was concered about strokes. I asked, "If it can happen in my fingers and wrist, what keeps it from happening in my brain?" He did not answer.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It helps to know there are others out there:-)
Just to add to the data, in case at some point a medical student or person DOES pay attention to what's been collected here:
- 49 yr old female/perimenopausal: check
- low blood pressure: check
- Reynauds: check
- tendency for anemia: check
- low body fat -- nope. Not high, either, though. Athletic & healthy.

To lawfulmurphy: no, no, no, and no. (sorry.)

- I HAVE had a DVT about 1.5 years ago after a very long plane trip. And I have loads of cardiovascular issues in my family history.

As others have said, good to have sistas, even if the doctors aren't paying any attention. This thread has been helpful.
So, my doc is more than willing to refer me for this , but doesn't know whether it should be haematologists or vascular surgeons ( apparently the latter have VERY poor bedside manner).
Any suggestions?
i'm a 19yr old who just had this happen to me a few hours ago, at least i think that my blood vessel popped. I went to grab something in the store and noticed my left index finger knuckle hurt. I looked at it and it was purple & bluish. It didn't hurt like a bruise, it hurt like an iv was in my hand. Here it is a few hours later, it hurts to bend it, the finger is cold, and it looks like the purple coloring spread & got bigger. So my question is do you think it's a popped blood vessel? The other question is do i apply ice or heating pad? I'm anemic & supposed to take vitamin c & iron tablets but don't, i don't like pills. Could that be the reasoning behind the vessel popping, & will i be seeing more of these in the future?
Not 15 minutes ago, my right ring finger was itching and I looked at it and I had a big dark blue bulge that kind of itched and ached. It flattened out and was still blue and stopped bothering me. Then I gripped a bottle and it fired up again worse. Now it is almost completely gone. I get this in my left ring finger all the time. In fact I always have a dim blue bump in that finger. It just flares up and calms down once in a while. Sometimes it acts up when I have been clapping.
So weird.
I started these problems in my 40', mostly in the eyes. I am now 65 and have frequent popping of blood vessels in my thighs [50cent size],  in my fingers and once a large bleed the size of my hand on my hip. Occasionally it bleeds out onto the skin but that is because my skin is very thin and tears easily. I have Marfans .... a connective tissue disorder. Blood tests were done by a hematologist for Von Willerbrand, Ehlos Danlos etc as these have similar symptoms. The hematologist advised me to stop taking Vitamin E and to avoid all blood thinning medications, aspirin etc. She said taking Vit K was not a good idea as my clotting time was normal and it was better not to interfere with my blood by taking supplements which could have unwanted side effects.  The problem is simply fragile blood vessels. She queried Raynaud's but did not follow it up.
When a blood vessel pops I cover the area with moisturiser and the pain and itch subside.... [the coldness of the cream?].....if I scratch the itch more blood vessels rupture!.
My aorta is also 'ballooning' as all my blood vessels are fragile. I was told that after menopause tissues naturally lose their elasticity so the problem becomes worse with age.  I queried HRT but was told that couldn't help a faulty gene. However my gynacologist put me on mild HRT to hopefully strengthen some weak prolapsing tissues. I was born with this condition but I have made it to 65 and my father,also with Marfans, is 90. There is no treatment for fragile blood vessels of genetic origin..... vitamins and diet can't force a defunct gene to do its job. .....they may help in other causes. The hematologist has been my only DR who knew anything about these conditions. I searched for years until I went to her. Hope this helps someone.          Annette
Just wanted to add my experience and thanks for the comments in this forum. I've been suffering from these burst blood vessels for years, but actually had none of them for the last five years (prior to that they were ongoing somewhat frequently in my late 30's and very early 40's. I'm a healthy woman, no medical problems, have always exercised, never drink caffeine, barely drink alcohol, etc. I found that when I feel the pain beginning that I can actually cut the reaction from happening by massaging the spot. I don't know why but it stops. It's always happens around a joint line on the inside of a finger (never the thumb). Today's was bad, very painful, I couldn't even touch it. My finger also swelled up, which in the past it hadn't done. It's 12 hours later and the discoloration has gone all the way around my index finger, near the nail. I went to a hand specialist some years ago on the advice of my doctor and he'd never seen anything like it. Thanks to the nurse who posted about Achenbach's syndrome - I think that's what it is. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there with the problem. All doctors seem to be mystified by it.
I am 71 and fit (hopefully).  I have had this problem since my teens. Usually happens when I am working with my hands.  I have always had the thought at the back of my mind that perhaps it could happen, one day somewhere internally and cause a real problem. Thanks to all you fellow sufferers, I feel almost part of an exclusive clan. Because of my age, I have had all the usual blood tests and "Well Woman" checks and all seems normal, so I have decided to ignore the itch, pain and resulting bruise, which incidentally always goes away in about 6 hours.
I'm a male in my mid 50s and have had this problem with blood vessels suddenly bursting in my fingers for the past 20 years or so.

It is quite painful and I'd describe it as a stinging sensation with some swelling and a very apparent burst blood vessel visible under the skin.

My mother and a sister both experience the same thing.

I was wondering if anyone on this list who is having this problem would indicate if they have:

1 - Family history of this problem
2 - Family history of stroke or brain aneurysm

I have had this on and off now for about 3 years and i am a 31 year old female.  Yesterday it happened again and I am really curious what is going on.  I saw a clinic dr who said he's never seen such a thing and it must be an allergy of some sort.  I don't believe that is the case though.  In my case it has only happened on my right hand.  And to answer a question by Steve1955 my father recently had a brain aneurysm so I guess I have a family history of that now.  I wonder if that could be related.  Anyhow, it does appear that this is just a nuisance and not anything else but I am truly surprised by the amount of people who have this and the lack of information that doctors have on this.  
I also have had this happen two times recently without apparent reason.  It happens on the palm side of my right middle finger (at the end of the finger).  The first time I was on a long distance road trip and so maybe I gripped the steering wheel too tightly for too long.  Today, I was pressing on something - routine household thing - and a vessel burst in the same place.  Initially it is swollen and blue and then seeps down the finger and looks like a bruise.  It is sore.  I have thin skin and can get bruises just by carrying something heavy on my arms like grocery bags, but the popping in my fingers is new.  I am 65 and pretty healthy - just a normal list of age related maladies.  
I border on anemia, have had low wbc counts and have the same problems,  I wonder if it is an issue of iron stores in the body.  I am healthy and eat well, but tend to bruise easily too without any serious trauma.  The popping though only occurs on my feet and my hands.
Last night as I was making dinner, I experienced a sharp stinging sensation in my right ring finger joint. I thought that I had cut myself or got an insect bite. There was no physical sign as to what happened. It hurt to bend the knuckle. Hot water running over it as I washed the dishes made it sting and ache. As I looked at it, I could see that there was reddish purple bruise developing on the back side of the knuckle. The bruise intensified as the night went on, but by the time I went to bed, the pain was gone. When I awoke this morning, the bruise was gone also. I googled it last night and found this site. The only thing that I am doing differently is I just started taking Vitamin E last week. I'm 50 and only take meds for hypothyroidism. Very weird experience.
I am 55 in good shape and having this problem for years in my thumb joint and fingers occasionally but enough to notice the pattern. It usually happens after a slight bump to the area.   It will happen at the base of the fingers or thumb joining the palm of the hand but some times in other joints on the fingers.  I just bumped the bottom of my foot on a bar very lightly and it happened on the base joint of the two toes next to the big toe.  Same sensation, slight swelling, sharp pain that fades fairly quick.  I do not have low blood pressure.  I have noticed some swelling on the top of my foot at the base of my toes as well that comes and goes.
I have had this for more than 10 years (I am 60)  Just had a new one on my foot last night and it is still very painful when I step on it.  It is on the ball of my foot.  I get the finger bursts more often than the foot.  I'm on HBP meds, slightly over weight, fibromyalgia and just diagnosed with spinal stenosis/osteoarthritis.  Did go to the doc early on for a finger burst..had been painting.  He thought may have been a bug bite - I am sure it was not.  It is a relief to know that there are similar cases out there so I don't have to feel like a freak or hypocondriac!
Hello! for any of you, does it happen in bouts? I mean, I will have one on my foot one day, and then in a couple of days one on my knuckle, then the next day one on my thumb joint... Then none for months! I'm sure it has something to do with the integrity of my vessels at that time, possibly due to vit. deficiency or some nutritional imbalance. I feel that I have not eaten well for a few weeks. I'm average sized, have positive ANA profile, hashimotos thyroiditis, and sometimes I am slightly anemic. I need to pay attention to my diet, and see if it improves! I'm glad to know I'm not alone!
Your posts have both reasuured and in some ways alarmed me a bit.  The consensus seems to be that it's benign, but it still doesn't seem healthy to me.  Had my first one yesterday - numbness in the end of my left ring finger.  Didn't worry me too much as I get numbness in toes and fingers regularly.  Used other hand to waggle the end of my finger and then suddenly a really sharp pain and instant blue discoloration on the joint line.  It swelled and the 'bruising' spread down to the next joint and slightly round the side.  Was uncomfortable due to swelling  Today the bruising seems to come and go.
For the record: I'm 47 year old female, no signs of menopause yet, fit and healthy, av body weight, tendency to slightly low blood pressure, get migraines, suspect mild anaemia sometimes, clean diet, no caffeine, very little alchohol.  Have been taking a fish oil supplement at a fairly high dose for the last year, but just switched to a krill oil (lower numbers but supposedly improved absorption).  Also just joined a new fitness program and taking the suggested supplements which include a multi-vit (has quite a lot of iodine as someone mentioned thyroid), BCAAs and whey protein powder.  Family history includes maternal Nan brain haemorrahge, Mother varicose veins/clots, sister who had to take Warfarin during pregnancy (not sure if long term).  Have spider veins on thighs.  At the time of my sister's treatment the rest of the family were asked to take blood tests and nothing untoward was discovered as far as I know.
Does sound like an interesting subject for a thesis.

I had a fracture recently which had ben operated on. The bones had been set and in plaster for a few weeks. The hand is still recuperating. I cannot drive or hold anything heavy.I want to know the following:

When I straighten my hands, the area around the fracture become dark (black) Is that normal or any profound reason for that....
Wow!  Can't believe how many post are on this topic.  I just straightened my thumb out yesterday and immediate pain, swelling and discoloration began.  Today it is still painful and the brusing has spread to the back side (top) of my thumb and to the middle of my palm.  I thought I'd make a doctor appointment, but after reading all these post, I guess I'll just wait it out!
Wow!  Can't believe how many post are on this topic.  I just straightened my thumb out yesterday and immediate pain and swelling and discoloration began.  Today it is still painful and the brusing has spread to the back side (top) of my thumb and to the middle of my palm.  I thought I'd make a doctor appointment, but after reading all these post, I guess I'll just wait it out!
I am so glad I'm not alone in this!
Mine started about 6 years ago and I'm 37 now. At first it was just in my thumbs and then in my fingers. When I was at a live band's show I clapped with such gusto that the veins in my palms burst - It was very painful and looked awful for days! I went to see my homeopath immediately (I don't trust doctors for the most part due to many many many ridiculous, laughable and bad experiences - having said that - I have the utmost respect for good doctors and do go to a regular Dr if my homeopath can give me no answers)
I think it must have started even way before that, because about 10 years ago I stopped donating blood due to my veins collapsing every time the bag got half way full - the pain was horrendous (and I've had 4 children without pain assistance) after the 3rd time of this I gave up.
My homeopath could not find anything wrong with my health other than some low blood pressure and a lack of mineral absorption. I never drink alcohol, don't get migraines or headaches, I drink lots of coffee - but this started before I started the coffee, I don't take aspirin, but I do take ibuprofen on the odd occasion. I have loads of iron in my blood otherwise, I do tend to be sensitive to chemicals and by body works anesthetic out of my system super fast- I have woken up during surgery once and once while still in the operating room just after surgery. I don't have hemorrhoids or any digestive problems. I don't bruise or bleed easily, I have very painful but light periods and I have always been slender and energetic and fit. I don't work out but am quite active, and I have noticed that this happens when I am more active than not. After much testing, he did find that there was some sort of problem in the vein walls - he was unable to tell me what, but he said the integrity of the wall was compromised some how (in my whole body that is) and that it probably has something to do with connective tissue. He said he would not be able to tell more without other tests by a regular Dr and that he did not think I was in any danger from it happening in my extremities... nice!  He made up some medicine to basically work on the general health of my veins and the connective tissues. It helped a ton, and after about 2 months the problem went away. After my 4th child was born 4 years ago, I briefly relived the finger popping episodes, and found that I was able to tell when It was about to happen by a deep aching feeling near my bones. I apply ice immediately (one or two blocks) for as long as it takes for the ice to melt, and it normally stops the process and the vein or capillary or whatever does not pop. I have also tried the moist heat, which seemed to help, but it intensified the pain quite considerably! I again got some meds and again it went away. Today however, I decided to clean our school room windows and I bumped my wrist on the burglar bar - not a hard bump mind you - and I had an odd itching sensation in my palm and onto my wrist. At first I thought I was having an allergic reaction to the soap (which I always use...) but then I noticed my wrist had a strange blue marble sized swelling right where the veins are. As I was watching it got larger and larger!! it really scared me, and there was no pain and the itching went away. I applied ice immediately, but the swelling did not go down and i could clearly see it was quite a "pool" of blood under the skin on the inside of my wrist and it got to the size of those large iron "goen" marbles that kids play with - I think they are bearings of some sort. It got really painful after that, and my hand was stiff and movement just caused more pain.  I sat quietly with the ice for over an hour and the bulge eventually went down. Now I have this ugly yellow, purple bruise there, and my thumb has started aching, but the ice has sorted that too.... thinking back, I also notice a trend that it happens when the weather is colder and during winter.

I have noticed that many of the posters here have:

# low blood pressure
# possible hormonal influences
# either too thin or overweight
# Some other "manageable" disease that might be related
# Of roughly the same age bracket when it started
# General health is fine
# find this vein popping thing down right irritating and a waste of time!
  (the windows are still not clean.)

I don't see a connection any where here - the symptoms are so varied and wide, so I am thinking we are all suffering this as a symptom of perhaps a combinations of perhaps 2 or 3 underlying problems not directly related to blood pressure or the vein walls themselves. Perhaps a combination of hormonal influences, together with stress and extra activity and perhaps also a specific point of degeneration (at around the age of 30) regarding connective tissues or the the production of collagen or something related to connective tissues and their health..... what thoughts are there? - are our bodies having a similar reaction to a range of causes - like a headache could be hormonal, overheating, stress, toxin build up, too much acid etc....? What could cause the little or not so little veins to ache or sting or itch (perhaps a weak spot like a balloon) and then burst out and then go back to rest - like little volcanoes under our skin! I hate not having an answer.
Hi , i've posted before , and am still having the same problems.
  I agree  re general points such as low bloodpressure , low body fat , and very active lifestyle.
The grapeseed extract has improved the condition about 50%, but i'm still not happy.
Today a herbalist suggested that i may be short of Essential Fatty Acids , so i'm going to investigate this , start supplementing , and get back to you.
What meds did your homeopath put you on?
Stumbled on this site and am relieved to find I'm not alone in experiencing these spontaneous burst blood vessels.  I do get them in my fingers, but more commonly on the ball of my foot or on the toes.  I've been having this for about 10 years. I'm 57, somewhat overweight but generally in good health.  Certainly not low blood pressure, rather borderline high.  I don't have Raynaud's though my daughter does.  However, I do have a mutation that predisposes to clotting (PT20210A) and had a DVT following a leg injury.  I also have lots of spider veins in the legs and some varicose veins, but those aren't bad enough to warrant treatment.  I once showed my GP one of the bump/bruises on my foot and he had absolutely no idea what to make of it.  The only correlation I've come up with is that they often occur if I resume exercising after having not done so for a while, e.g. due to an illness or vacation.  Hormonal fluctuations wouldn't surprise me.  I too have put it down to "thin blood vessel walls" (very unscientific!) and worry about an occurrence in the brain or central organ rather than just in the periphery. The vitamin C theory sounds plausible so I will try to be a bit more consistent in my supplementation with vitamin C.  Good luck to all in trying to find a cause.
Viewing 201-400 comments: