blood vessels popping in fingers
in the last two weeks i have had three blood vessels just pop in my fingers. i was not doing anything out of the ordinary. what could be causing this? should there be a cause for concern?
By the way - Von Willebrand's is known to be mainly a genetic disorder. If you have relatives with similar symptoms, they may want to get tested too.
I've had this occurrence in my fingers for a few years now.  I'm 40, a very healthy vegetarian, have low blood pressure, and was tested with a good vitamin D level (on an unrelated check up).  I would love to know if this should be of concern.  I'll post if I get any helpful feedback from my doc.
I suffer from the same condition.  First time it happened, I thought I had received a spider bite.  I went to the doctor, my finger was swollen, blue and painful.  The doctor said it happens with age as the vessels begin to thin.  
I have searched this condition, and it may not apply to anyone here by try looking up Raynaud's Phenomenon.  The condition somewhat describes me and some of you.  It is causes by certain medications, arthritis and usually brought on by cold or stress.
I have had this problem for a long time. I am an RN in the ICU. I happened to have one of my worst breaks today when doing nothing at all but mild work. For one thing, I can assure everyone that this is not a liver disorder like hep C. Hep C and liver problems, severe, cause clotting disorders. You have to be pretty sick for that to happen. Also, with Von Willenbrands, you would bleed SEVERELY when you have your menses. There are clotting disorders that can be checked with blood tests ordered by your doctor. I look at the broken blood vessels as a pain in the butt, or should I say, hand. I do a lot of physical work with my hands and also row crew and run. My B/p runs low and my HR is low. I think the vessels just might get a small laceration from work and then break when pressure increases from being in a dependent position. Not to worry.
Thank you SO much all of you who took the time to answer.  I have had this 'popping' issue in my hands for several years.  I am a 50 yr old, very healthy 103 lb female.  I have low BP, tend toward anemia, have heavy periods and Reynaud's.  I also have a Yorkshire Terrier, but that doesn't matter.  It's wonderful to now that I'm not harboring some dangerous illness.  Thank you, thank you.
I get these on my hands, fingers, and shins. It is like something blocks the blood vessel, and it swells and looks blue. The pinching feeling ranges from very annoying to truly painful. Then, I rub, or put ice, or shake my hand (nothing seems to matter) and either the block clears, or the vessel bursts.

I am 45 years old, and this has been happening for at least 20 years. It even happened once when I was in the doctor's office. He watched it swell, turn blue, burst, leave the requisite bruise. Then he looked at me and shrugged, and said he hadn't the slightest idea what it is.

Seems to me, if I could have this problem for 20+ years, that is probably the definition of annoying, but not dangerous. When reading through all the comments here, the only thing I notice, is that all the symptoms any of us has put down that might be related, shows no consistency with everyone else on this thread.

I am thinking of sending a link to this thread to a vein specialist. But I doubt anything will come from it...I mean, it seems to be not dangerous at all, so why should the doctors care? The only thing that I'd like to see, is a standard NAME of this syndrome, so that others like us could find out that it is common and benign.

How about "Benign surface blood vessel aneurysms"? or "Benign extremities blood vessel pops"? Or maybe someone could find this listed in some journal some time back, and name it after the doctor who first wrote about it.

Anyone else want to offer a name?
One thought...I do have a connective tissue problem, and am very tall and kind of lanky. Anybody else on this thread have loose connective tissues, or have the tall, long-arm, long-fingers body type?
Are you sure you don't have Marfan syndrome?
I also have this problem.  I'm 46, female, BMI 21, vegan, regular exerciser.  All around healthy.  Except my hands!  I get the burst blood vessels and, when it's cold (I live in Alaska, so that's like, all the time!) they go completely white in the fingertips of the ring and middle finger.  Does everyone here with the "bursting" problem also have Raynaud's symptoms (situational white, waxy fingertips)?
I am 55, healthy and have this same problem.  I'm left handed, so most of my vessells seem to burst in my left hand.  I also have them bursted in my toes.  I have tiny red spots on my body.  I wonder if they are related to this problem?

I do have psorisas on my elbow and knees (joints).  I've wondered if there is any relation to this since the vessells always burst in the joints of my fingers and toes.  I've asked my doctor, with no answers.

Im gald I found this site.
Wow so glad to know I'm not alone with this. My left index finger, just out of no where, started stinging and swelling. It really hurt. It turned blue and looked like it had rubber bands around my finger it was so swollen. That was three days ago. It looks better but is still reddish blue and sore. It also is cold at the tip of my finger.I'm fifty seven year old female and I do take an asprin ( when I can remember ) but I don't really think that's a factor in anything. I'm hoping this is just an aging thing and nothing serious.
This is NOT normal and there should be some doctor/nutritionist out there who knows something!  I remember reading something about a link to a vitamin deficiency, but haven't found the forum again.  If I do, I'll come back with a possible answer.  This happens to me in cycles - often for a while and then not again for months.

Carol
Hi everyone, thanks for takeing the time to right all your comments on your experiences of burst blood vessels. Its just a releif to know im not on my own. Today i have experienced my second burst blood vessell on my index finger on my right hand palm side- and i agree its not a very nice feeling and the bruise looks awful, I was at work at the time and it just happened out of the blue. I feel better after reading all the postings regarding this subject. I am on no medication 44 yrs old and do not suffer from high blood pressure. My only ailment i do suffer from is anxiety. Which bursting blood vessells dont help !!
I am a 45 year old female. I've been living with this blood vessel popping in my hands for decades. I also get nose bleeds that can last for hours and wounds can take upwards of 2 weeks or longer to heal properly (pour wound healing). Although I am a hemophilia carrier, and was negative for Von Wildebrands, I take 4000 mg/day of Vit D, and 2000 mg of Vit C, the research that I have done indicates that its a thyroid issue. After reading all the posts, the vast majority of them also scream underactive and non treated hypothyroidism and we're all women. Go figure - we're women and we're not being treated for a legitimate health condition. My main concern is if the blood vessels pop in my hands with this kind of ease, can this also happen in the brain or other organs where this wouldn't be just a pain in the hand? I think we need to demand somehow that the medical establishment starts treating our hypothyroidism with some respect.
Like all of you, I have this condition, too.  For probably 10+ years.  It comes on for no apparent reason.  I am a very healthy and active 60-year-old woman (feel like 40).  I am thin and athletic, take vitamins daily (a good multivitamin with minerals, Super B, Vit C w/rosehips, 1200 mg of calcium + D.  I'm also on thyroid medicine (Levoxyl, .075)  for hypothyroidism and my TSH is in range and I'm feeling great.  I exercise:  power walking, push ups, yoga stretches, an occasional run.  Also, like some others here, I have Raynaud's syndrome (genetic:  mother and brother).

Yesterday while I was doing nothing strenuous, I felt the familiar tingle, then itching in my right middle finger, then it started to swell and by the end of the day it was like a purple sausage.  Hard to bend my finger.  Looks pretty hideous right now.  Have spoken to doctors over the years, and even showed a cardiologist a photograph of my hand in full bloom and all he did was shrug his shoulders and said he had no clue.  All of them just say "weak blood vessels in the fingers and hand".  Apparently there are so many veins and blood vessels in the fingers, and as we age they become more prone to injury.  I've stopped worrying about it, but it is very annoying and painful.

I do however feel better that I'm not alone, and agree that we should get the doctors to pay attention to us!!
I am a healthy female, age 38 with low BP and this blood vessel popping in the finger thing happened for the first time yesterday. I noticed the weather had been really hot and I had also been carrying a heavy watering can with that hand and had also been taking Ibuprofen for a few days for a skin infection on my foot.
I thought perhaps it was the Ibuprofen that caused it? Anyway I'm still alive, so hey ho.
I'm so relieved to find out I'm not the only one who has experienced this!  Mine happened a week ago just after I had taken my daughter swimming.  I was really hot at the time and had been on a long journey earlier in the day, so maybe that's what triggered it?  My doctor said she had never seen anything like it before, but suggested a popped vein.  When I woke up this morning my finger looked normal, but after a while it started to look bruised again, also my knuckle is still quite tender when it gets knocked.  Hoping it clears itself up soon.
I've had this blood vessel popping thing for at least 15 years, and I'm only 45. I've even had the entire even happen while I was seeing my doctor for something else, and he saw the vein do the swelling thing, and then the popping thing, and then the bruising thing.

He had no idea what it was.

And while some of you think heat or something else "causes" this, it is my experience that this can happen at almost any time. As far as I know, I've never had it happen in my sleep.

Besides my hands, I sometimes get them in my shins.
I have had this happen in my fingers for years, but in the past few months I have had vessels pop on my leg (side of calf just below knee) and on the inside of my right wrist.  This one was prettly painful and I kept pressure on it until the burning subsided.  Has anyone else had this happen in these areas?
I've had same problems in my fingers with pain whilst sometimes just sitting on sofa. Over past few weeks I've has 4 and today a major one in my hand (palm) went with lots of pain and major swelling. I was so shocked I came onto the net.
I feel reassured though that this is nothing to worry about. I'm 42 exceptionally fit, low blood pressure - been weight training today and spin class so maybe the weight training weakened a blood vessel when I was holding weights
Yah, had them in these areas. Nothing in particular seems to bring these things on, nothing I can think of keeps them away. Sometimes I'll get a few in a week, sometimes go months without any.