blood vessels popping in fingers
in the last two weeks i have had three blood vessels just pop in my fingers. i was not doing anything out of the ordinary. what could be causing this? should there be a cause for concern?
I had bruising occur on one of my fingers a couple of months ago and thought that I had hit it on something.  This evening, I felt a sting and looked at my the side of the joint in my middle finger to discover what looks like a popped blood vessel.  I am 64 years old, way past menopause, have normal blood pressure, sometimes nosebleeds and elevated LDL cholestrol.  I can't take statins, so I began taking Krill (fish oil) a few days ago in hope of helping my cholesterol.  I can't take aspirin, as it seems that ugly purple bruises appear on my forearms after just one pill. I'm wondering if the Krill/fish oil and aspirin act as blood thinner that might cause the finger bruising.  Also stated taking CQ10 a few days ago too, so I'm not sure.  All ideas are appreciated and I appreciate everyone's sharing their experiences on this forum.
I posted this last year, and I still believe that it's weak vein walls.  Dermatologist commented that 500 MG of Vitamin C is great for maintenance, but that I should take 2000 MG per day to build up vein walls.  My mother had a stroke at 75, which was most likely a bleed through.  She spent 10 years under care without much recovery.  My father died of Alzheimers, so I'm always concerned about vascular problems of any kind.  If it happens in my fingers, what might happen in my head?  Will continue to take 2000 MG of Vitamin C a day.  I've had fewer problems with my fingers this year.  Can't hurt to try.
I can DEFINITELY recommend grapeseed extract for strengthening the blood vessel walls ; it acts like Vit C but better.
Just thought I'd add my two cents for research sake. I have had this happen twice now in the past two weeks. I'm 44, fit, exercise regularly and vigorously, clean diet (no dairy, no gluten), no caffeine, rarely any alcohol. Grandfather died of abdominal aneurysm (he was a drinker), grandmother died of stroke (she was a smoker), second grandmother died of Alzheimer's complications. The earliest pop is inside the pinky finger at the middle knuckle, it's actually turned into a hard little ball....the new pop is inside on the ring finger opposite hand, also on that hand the pad under the thumb is very sore. I thought maybe this was from holding weights at the gym or playing piano...about two months ago both my wrists became very sore and they both bruised but i hadn't hit them on anything...very weird. most recent blood work done in Feb. and all normal as far as iron etc...I don't think that clotting was tested though. anyhow, that's my story ~ interesting how many of us get this. i haven't talked to my doctor yet but maybe i will?
Does anyone have raynoids (sp).? Poor circulation of the hands and feet.
I thought I had allergies to something at work but I feel better that this is a common condition.  My boss has had it happen to him.  I am mid 30s and have worked in a hog barn for 12yrs.  I would touch something metal and boom my finger would hurt, swell and blacken.  
  I have lousy circulation in my hands and feet.  It is very cold in the winter where I live, so was wondering if some of you ladies have this too.
Yep I have this blood vessel bursting problem also, and i have raynaud's syndrome, I have often wondered if the two are connected ....
49 yr old female; Positive ANA; Lupus signs started many years before ANA showed positive; now signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis -- joint bumps; early onset parkinsons (internal trembling 24/7 for over a year with only minutes of sleep at a time--now can sleep with pill but trembling wakes me up and happens in my sleep); probable pituatory tumor (these are almost always benign---lactating breast with near fainting and sweating and vomitting episodes if you don't lie flat quick enough---Let's see now...shall i lie flat quickly or have brain surgery?? I think i will opt for lying flat); low or low/normal blood pressure;  severe pain all over of all kinds--wakes me up; sickeness began in 20's with mono - epstein barr - chronic fatigue---- never considered i would not recover --- now in rapid decline it appears...vein bursting started several years ago but had so many other problems didn't even want to include on lengthy symptom/sign list which husband made me type and dragged me to doctor...no official diagnoses though i guarantee you the above is all true--- i just refuse to spend hours and $$$$ having expensive testing to confirm what we already know through research and our medical backgrounds, now a full time hobby, how exciting!  Mother had spider veins; high blood pressure; enlarged heart from high blood pressure; electrical problem with heart; atrial fibrillation; a bit overweight, never ate healthy, didn't exercise, only took few vitamins when my dad forced her to; died during hip surgery before she turned 84; dad super healthy, ate healthy; took vitamins; runner; ran 2 miles 2 days before colon cancer surgery; died few months after 77 birthday (before mom) and 9 months after stage 4 diagnosis....I am not overweight; eat healthy; husband makes me take vitamins---Hawthorne berry (if you are on heart drugs be sure to ask a doc or research it first) is one to strenghten blood vessels --- and FX brand whey protein ---and magnesium to relax arteries and alpha lipoic adic and l-lysine which they call the teflon of the arteries and acetyl-l carnitine and acidopilus and if you take coQ10 the scoop is you can't absorb it after a certain age so you have to get it in a form called ubiquinol; I don't see much of a connection to any of this other than MOSTdoctors don't seem to care or listen or read symptom/sign lists or like to solve mysteries...I am glad to see all those older than me that are still alive and well so I think I may just keep taking my vitamins, keep my weight as is; take the whey; eat healthy and my husband has been asking me to add vitamin C in food form pill that he takes so I will do it after reading all these posts.  Oh, and I will add the grapeseed extract which had been meaning to do anyway.  Thanks for all the great input.  If the docs won't help I suspect we must help ourselves and each other.
Most important answer to the person (and anyone else wondering) who asked if anyone has "bouts" of vein bursting I forgot to add:  My vein bursting comes in bouts, yes!  This latest one--- that prompted me to google which led me to this forum eventually----has lasted for 36 1/2 hours.  Even washing my hands and drying them is painful...this new "bout" is worse than any other because it has included fingers, hands, wrists, toes and feet...fingertips bruising from typing.  This has been the strangest and most frightening bout.  I am less concerned after reading all of your posts.  Thanks again.
I have had raynauds for about 35 yrs, and  I've had occasional poppiing of blood vessels. Recently it is getting more frequent. This time I had the vessel pop in my index finger while taking a picture, it was cool on the mountain and my raynauds was kicking in as well. So the bruising did not go up to the end of the finger, it stops at the top joint. I do eat asparagus, take iron supplements for years, take vit c , exercise regular, am in normal weight range. This time it has affected my arm as it is very weak and sore in the elbow  area.
gracee59
I too have low blood pressure and popping blood vessels in my fingers.   I have low blood pressure and before this happens my blood vesses become enlarged and my hands become blotchy and red as if too much blood is rushing into my hands.  At times it occurs in my feet.   I did have some genetic clotting thing show up in my blood work several years ago.   Does anyone else get the blotchy hands?  Thanks!  So many commonalities. . .It's probably a syndrome that no one has figured out yet.  I am 48 with hormones that can be wacky as well.
Hello. I am a 27 year old woman and overall thought to be in good health. I do smoke, no children, no medications, and last physical was a year ago. Two weeks ago I had a blood vessel burst in my right hand ring finger at the joint. I have been researching this ever since. Then yesterday I had the same one burst again. I have normal blood pressure, On and off vitamin supplements and moderately overweight though a balanced diet( I rarely exercise). I have found there are many others out there with similiar issues and various theories. I have not even seen a doctor yet but not sure if its going to help. I am currently thinking it could be a tyriod issue due to family history or something else. Does anyone have any advise for me other than to see a doctor? I'm not sure what to ask. Also, I have occational aches and random pains in my arms though not big on pain medication.
I began with sickness when I was your age, right around 27 or 28.  It all started with mono/chronic fatigue/epstein barr...I didn't even believe chronic fatigue was a real illness.  Long story short, as years went on and after 1 good doc who diagnosed these, I left the state and could not find any doc to take me seriously.  I also had severe headaches that lasted 3 days at a time and caused vomitting from the pain.  I did have CT scans and MRI of brain.  Nothing showed up.  I finally found an excellent doctor that concluded I was very sick but test after test gave no more information other than I have some sort of inflammatory disease.  I tested negative for ANA which would prove inflammatory disease.  Years later, I tested postive.  You can test negative even though you have it.  So really, you have to decide if you want to go through testing, see a doctor or perhaps look into alternative things that will ease your symptoms and wait until you either get better or have a progression of decline in your health.  You are the only one who knows what will ease your mind and what you are willing to do.  If you see a doctor, don't feel bad if they tell you "it's all in your head" or "you look fine to me" or "i don't see anything abnormal here" and tell you it's "anxiety."  These are very common responses -- unfortunately -- from lazy, uninformed doctors that just listen to drug reps and want to get perks from putting everyone on psychiatric drugs--- which they now prescribe for severe pain and neuropathy and anything else they think of.  I am not saying not to go to a doctor.  I am just saying if you do, be prepared that if one does not respond appropriately--- find a new one that will listen.  You are paying them for a service--- they should listen and take you seriously.  Patients make them their "living."  Should they not do their jobs to the best of their ability?  Demand it.  A doctor who considers both conventional and alternative medicine and chooses the best one for a patient's unique situation is the type I would trust...And always do your own research.  Educate yourself.  Best to you.
Thank you all so much for all this information.  I'm a 52 year old female and in decent health, as far as I can tell.  I Live in the Houston area.  My hands began bruising about 6 years after I spanked my son and daughters  bottoms for fighting.  My hand hurt so much after I spanked them, I instinctively ran old water onto my hand.  It was sore and bruised for a few days.  This happens periodically.  I will go months with out any bruises and then suddeningly I will get them consistantly, but only after trauma to my hands.  3 weeks ago I was playing freezbie with my kids and I bruised my left ring and middle finger and it's still sore and tender.  Now, it seems to happen more frequently.  NO MORE spanking and the freezbie for me ;(  I really think that the being perimenapausal and this Hot weather contributes to my blood vessel bursting in my fingers, legs and sometimes arms.  Good to know that I'm not alone in this mysterious illness.  Another note, I quit smoking 4 years ago which also might be a factor realate to this issue.
This has been happening to me for last few months.  I too am a nurse and midwife.

I have a family history of strokes and varicose veins on my fathers side.

I am 43 years old, very fit going to the gym most evenings. Slim build and eat a healthy diet.

first time I noticec a problem was a very large bruise appeared for no reason on my upper Re, then inside my knees, now in my fingers.  

The largest bruises are occuring around a week before my period.  The effect of progesterone causes dilation of muscles (including blood vessels).  
This would explain hormonal causes
My family history would show that I have high probability of it being a hereditary cause, ie. predisposition to vascular conditions.

I suppose with the exercise this is then breaking the already weak veins by using weights frequently.

All in all and most unfortunately without a total body 'rewiring' I suppose I will have to try to live with it, increase vitamin C in diet and try to ensure my blood pressure remains within normal limits.

Thank you for this thread, it really has helped me to self diagnose!!
Just found this interesting thread. I have had this issue since I was 24, am now 57. Could it be related to gluten? I ask because I've also had nose bleeds my entire life, which I think are related. I recently tried a gluten-free diet for 2 months and the nose bleeds, which I had about twice a week, forever, completely stopped! Then I came off the gluten-free diet just to see if it was really making a difference, and within two days the nose bleeds came back. The issue with the blood vessels bursting in my fingers I had managed to control pretty well by using heavy work gloves when carrying or picking up heavy objects and by otherwise being extremely careful with how I grasped things. For this reason I'm not sure if being off gluten helped that issue. I've asked several doctors about both issues and if they could be related and I only get blank looks. But next week I'm going back on the gluten-free diet. It's worth it to be rid of the nose bleeds that go on forever...
So glad to find this post. My popping vessels started about 8 years ago. It's happened opening a jar, clapping, massaging my fingers, downward dog. A site I found last summer mentioned beer as a common denominator so gave it up. In a year I've not had an incident. However, with August being as hot as it has been we've had a few beers over the last month and about 15 minutes ago while washing the sink I felt the sting and my finger began turning blue.  I've also noticed a sign of yeast over the last couple weeks, so it's back to eliminating beer. That's what it seemed to work for me. (i use iced and the blue & pain is already gone.)  I'm 54, have low blood pressure, had gout about age 29 (eliminated that with reflexology. the sound of uric acid crystals being broken down was unbelievable), a B12 deficiency was discovered 18 months ago and my hands & feet are cold in the winter months.  If allergies are a problem with anyone, NAET (Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique) may work for you. An RN friend recommended it and it helped significantly with cat allergies and took away my cravings for sugar. It's also helped a friend's 6 year old with severe exzema.
I have Petechaie (vessels in my arms break easily when I scratch and leave red marks), numb fingertips that comes and goes, numb tongue tip and spontaneous painful rupturing of vessels in my fingers. Two years ago I had 90% of my small intestine removed because of ischemic bowel (suddenly twisted and died). I am thinking that this could be attributed to low calcium and possibly anemia due to absorbtion problems. My food goes right through me and I have to eat constantly to keep from losing weight. Does anyone with short gut syndrome have these issues?
Wow- can't beleive that I am not alone...more pops this weekend after a camping trip.  I had read that perhaps a cause was vitamin k so I supplemented and the problem had vanished- until I stopped taking it.  Vitamin K can be dangerous.  I had previously been checked by a hematologist and they said that my clotting factor was borderline- no other issues.  My doctor claims that my b12 is low and I am borderline anemic.  After reading these posts, I beleive that I wll stop the K and try the iron, with b12 and D.  How can we get someone to seriously look at these symptoms?
It seems impossible to get a doctor to LISTEN.  If anyone finds one, let the rest of us know.
So glad to see I'm not making this up! Little blood vessels at my finger joints palm side have been bursting occasionally for about 8 yrs. I am a 45 yr old female relatively healthy.  Mother has essential thrombocytopenia or ET a rare blood disease, marked by enlarged spleen.  Sister has had mini strokes. I tend to have low blood pressure and always have trouble getting an IV started or blood drawn due to collapsing veins.  In the fingers, an intense sudden sting like a bee sting or needle ***** occurs then pain & bruising.  Today the pinky joint had intense itching after the stinging occurred 2 days ago. Now a small BB like bump is under the skin. I sprayed an anesthetic type burn spray on it & held ice on it. The bump is still there.  I hope a medical professional could research this & let us know if this is an indicator of a blood vessel problem or other serious condition.
I hesitate to be so negative, but don't count on it.  Perhaps if it happens to one of them they will take an interest.  The positive side is there are many people posting who are alive and well after having this problem for years and years.
After reading your comments about blood vessel hemorrhaging, which is the same problem I have had the last 30 years, I started researching what are common blood thinners and blood coagulants in foods and supplements.  My internist yesterday asked me about some of them because of my added problem of eye hemorrhaging the last two years.
My diet has varied with the seasonal availability of fresh foods and the multiple blood thinners which could explain the periodic changing in frequency of the hemorrhages. Also, my diet was heavily weighted on the side of thinners.  I do not have a medical background, but I am going to try to balance the thinners with the coagulants adding more frozen foods to balance seasonal changes.  I will reduce but not eliminate the highest thinners and reduce the number of thinners consumed in a short period.
This was really useful - thank you everyone, to know I am not the only person and we all have similar experiences is a comfort. I had my first toe explosion this week and decided enough was enough and I needed to find out more - we all seem health consious people with good diets and exercise. One day a doctor will research it.
I'm so glad I found this forum! I picked up my 2 year old today and my middle finger suddenly felt sore, like I'd been stung, but I hadn't. It immediately began to swell and bruise, and has been sore since. This is the first time it's happened to me and I immediately thought of blood clotting and rushed to the internet to research.  So after reading all these posts, I agree that this has something to do with thin blood vessel walls. Stroke and Vericose veins run in my family, I have very poor circulation (if I sit cross legged for more than 5 minutes my legs go numb), nurses have trouble getting IV's started in me, I have lower than normal blood pressure, and someone up there mentioned hormones and that hers flared about a week before her period, and that's exactly where I am in my cycle.  I'm going to try upping my vitamin C and add Grapeseed extract to my diet.  As far as my health, I'm 31, slim, eat healthy, exercise regularly. My vise is alcohol, but typically only a couple drinks in an evening.  Here's a couple questions: someone mentioned cutting blood thinners out of their diet, but if worried about clotting, wouldn't a blood thinners be good? Asking because I'm sure my couple of beers are acting as a thinner. 2nd question: does anyone experience moments of dizziness or light headedness? This happens to me sometimes when I stand after sitting for a while, a feeling like blood is rushing to my head and I get "starry" or blacked out vision for a second or two.  Could this be related also??
I went through years of dizzy/near-fainting spells.  If I did not lie down flat quick enough, I would have severe diaphoresis (sweating) and/or vomit.  This has improved.  No doctor has any suggestions.  It seems like your veins are just not close to the surface regarding the difficulty starting an IV.  I also cut out blood thinning vitamins because if something is bursting I was more concerned about a bleed than a clot (in the brain).  After reading these posts, I am not alarmed at all.  Many of these women have had this for years, some 30 years.  They are alive, have not suffered strokes, etc.  My illness started in my 20s.  All symptoms were very mysterious.  I never imagined I would have declined to the extent that I have.  I am 49 now and it doesn't seem real that I am a "sick" person.  I refuse to give up.  I keep going through sleepless nights, extreme pain that wakes me up, extreme fatigue, internal trembling, numbness and tingling in hands/arms/feet and this latest blood vessel popping.  I eat healthy, am not overweight and do housework, yardwork---when I can and just take breaks.  I just get angry at the illnesses and find the energy to keep doing.  

I think the Vitamin C does help.  The only true effective Vitamin C is Food Form.  Typical Vitamin C you buy is asorbic acid.  NOT the same.  www.realfoodnutrients.com is the only place I know to purchase it.  

You are 31.  In a blink you will be 49.  Soon I will be 50 (half a hundred!)  Why drink?  If you have some mystery illness and already have poor circulaton, 2 drinks per night cannot be helping.  Over time it may harm you significantly.  My only advice would be to limit it to one.  Then when you are ready, none.  See if you feel better after a few months.  Don't add to your decline, if indeed you will decline.  I hope you will not.  But in the event that you might, perhaps cutting back/out the alcohol could slow it down.
Again can't believe how common this appears to be yet I've never met anyone else to whom this happens. I'm 57, had these happenning for many years, including today. I'm low body fat, fit and healthy, menopausal, low blood pressure, but the only factors which have always been present are the low blod pressure and fit and healthy. I've not ALWAYS been menopausal or thin!
Just had my first occurrence in right index finger. Lower joint was grey and felt like it had been stung, plus finger was swolen, but massaging seems to have subdued it. I exercise daily (have upped routine recently). Diet is good (low carb/cafeine/fat). I have moderately high bp (was taking a reading just before it happened), but not on medication. Have just completed short course of antibiotics for an infection.
I've had blood vessels popping in my hands for many years- probably started in my 30's - I'm 50 now.  It's not life threatening but it is bothersome.  I gotta laugh at all the "health nuts" who are also reporting this problem.  I drink alcohol and caffeine, smoke I'm active but don't exercise enough, but our symptoms are the same.  It does amaze me how many people have mentioned this to doctors who seem to have no clue.
I'm 46 and my fingers started acting up about 5 years ago.  usually my middle right finger.  my mother has severe varicose veins in her legs (i do not) but other than that there is no family history of vein/heart issues.  it seems to happen when i hold a pencil too tight, open a lid, anything that puts pressure right there.  i have low blood pressure, i drink wine, i exercise some, decent health. it doesn't hurt a lot when it happens, but i worry that it might be a symptom of something else.
I am 64 and have had this problem for quite a few years now. My right ring finger and left pointer seem to be the most commonly affected. I am very overweight, non-smoker, non-drinker, but do drink maybe 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day. My hands go numb on numerous occasions, especially at night when trying to sleep. My legs also occasionally go numb at night, depending on posture. I have been tested for carpal tunnel and this was not the cause of the numbness pain and tingling in my hands. I used to have low blood pressure but since gaining so much weight it has gone up, my cholesterol is high and my thyroid function is low. I have sleep apnoea and use a CPAP machine  but have to turn it off several times during the night so that I can have a sip of water because my arthritis medication causes such a dry mouth I can't swallow. I have severely low iron levels and have to take supplements. My feet and ankles are badly swollen with fluid retention and I have an enlarged heart. The popped veins in my hands and fingers I think I can live with LOL. I am also abhorrent that doctors have no idea what causes this phenomenon.
I'm so glad i found this site/thread-  I get the same crippling stinging pains in my fingers follwed by bruising. I am a 50 yr.old female and overweight. I take levothroid for my thyroid, I have asthma and use Advair inhaler, a nasal inhaler flonase, I have depression and take wellbutrin two tabs a day 150mg, I'm going through menopause and Dr. put me on microgestin fe pill.

Some other issues that have happened recently a few episodes of vertigo and general body aches all the time. I've had 4 relatives that passed from strokes aunt/uncles in early 70's and 80's.
I was just wondering if there was a connection between this and Raynaud's myself. I am experiencing the blood vessel breaking and my fingers going numb and white a lot recently. I'll ask my rheumatologist (see for fibromyalgia), but I don't see her until April - she doesn't like to see her patients with Raynaud's in the winter.
Last summer this happened to the index finger of my left hand. It seemed to itch and when I looked at it, it was swollen and purple on the palm side of my hand. I assumed I was bitten since I had been gardening. It went away. Two days ago (it's now fall), I went out in my yard for just a few minutes to do some cleanup and grasstrimming. The last thing I remember doing is pulling a weed barehanded. It was cold out. When I was in, the middle finger on my right hand was itchy. Again I looked and it was purple and swollen. I tried ice and cold water to no avail. The discoloration spread to the pad of my palm just below the fingers. Two days later the swelling and discoloration are slightly less, but now the outer side of the middle finger is red. I am 61, recently had a complete physical and updated my immunizations at that time. I work out at home 4 days a week and go hiking about once a month. I've lived in the Pacific Northwest for the past 16 years; before that, all areas of the US. My hands have always been cold to the touch (people react strongly when I shake hands!) They have been going numb recently when I am holding hands in a prayer circle.This problem just started this year. I think something outdoors is triggering it and will wear gloves now when I garden.
I have had this problem for roughly 6 mo now, and finally got tired of it enough to seek out a doctor. The Dr has ordered blood tests for Von Willebrand disease. I'll let you know what I find out, but you might ask your doctor if this test would possibly be beneficial for you. Good luck.
I'm 47, I'm a florist so I use my hands a lot, last year had a botched up hip surgery and a blood clot in my leg. I've also had Raynauds syndrome for years, touch something cold or go out in the cold and one or two fingers will go completely numb and white for hours, no blood supply to them what so ever, then they will go back to normal. Just lifted a bucket of water yesterday and felt a sting and now my thumb is numb, swollen and blackened....last year my index finger did this, was black for 6 months! My Dr sent me for a hand x-ray, he thought I had broken it , because it looked so bad! Seems to me this happens mostly in middle aged women, who have a lot of circulatory issues or family history of it? Dr's don't seem to know much about it?...From my experience anyhow....
This stinging/popping has happened to me at least 3 times so far, so I wanted to google it to see if I could figure out what was going on.  I see it happens to many women, but for some reason we still don't have an answer.  How frustrating.
I am a mom, 5 kids, I have 18 month old twins, which I know my pregnancy with them started me on a downhill slope with my health.  While pregnant, the twins took so much from me my hair started breaking, the hair on my legs wouldn't grow (not that I'm complaining, just worried about health!).  I am 35, very thin, (naturally my entire life), I don't exercise much due to time,  but am very active with the kids, I also have a 3 year old.  I was diagnosed as anemic after the babies were born,  but have stopped taking iron pills since.  I worry about exercising because when I do I feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest.  I have a dr. appt on Tuesday so I am going to ask him it could be blood pressure related or if he knows what could cause the popping/stinging. I also have cysts in my breasts and painful cysts in my ovaries.  I am wondering if it also can be a connective tissue issue because I am at the age I am starting to notice aging, slight lines around my eyes.  I've also always been fairly strong in my arms, very thin but healthy muscle tone in my arms.  I hold my 18 month old son, about 28 pounds, almost constant with no problems.  Recently in the last 2 weeks or so, I've had such weakening and aching in my left arm that I can barely hold him in that arm, only for short periods of time.  I noticed a few nights ago a bruising feeling in my armpit on the same side, but when I woke up in the morning, it was gone.  Frustrating because I don't know if everything is related and possible a sign of something wrong.  Aren't our bodies trying to tell us something??
My first one happened when I was rushing to leave to go into town, I first walked over to the pasture to feed our horses.  Just after I tossed the hay over the fence, I noticed swelling and purple on the inside of my wrist, on my veins.  It stung so badly I thought I had been bitten by a spider or something, since I was just holding hay.   It scared me so I payed attention to it for a while and it just slowly went away on its own.  It happened again when trying to get the dog's attention (he was getting into something) and I clapped my hands together very hard, I suddenly got the same pain, I think in my finger but I'm having a hard time remembering.  It just happened again.  I was making lunch for the kids and didn't notice that I did anything that would cause it, just suddenly sharp stinging pain in my  eft ring finger towards the top on the inside, right where my joint is.  I m also worried about hypo/hyperthyroid, so wondering if that could be related.  Very frustrating not knowing, and scary.

SARAH365

Posts: 1

Hi you should just see the ENORMOUS black bruise on the back of my hand. My knuckle itched yesterday, went to sort of scratch it but before I could do so the knuckle swelled up, stung, and bleeding started. In just two minutes there was a huge area of swelling/puffiness and a few hours later ALL the back of my hand was dark blue. I've had this finger popping thing for years on and off, once on the palm of my hand which was a big area and really nasty looking. I'm 69, eat very healthily, active, slim, brilliant cholesterol. Is anyone still on this site? GinB, Valeriejj53? I've just joined today and read every single post. Please please write to me if you are still on here.
Yes, there seem to be a lot of us ... I regularly check this site , in fact it alerts me every time there's a new posting.
I'm still having the burst capillaries , mainly in the fingers but also in the eyes and along the upper arms, and certainly one ruptured vein.
I've found a huge improvement after a few months of supplementing with Grapeseed Extract and also high strength Fish Oils.
Doctors don't really seem interested , mainly because this is not really a medicatable(?) problem ; they just say it''s due to fragile blood vessels , especially post-menopause. However , i find it really scary, especially when one starts to contemplate brain haemmorrages etc.
I have noticed that most of us are slim , with lowish blood pressure etc . I wonder if we are mssing the cushioning effect of fat beneath the skin? Not a lot we can do about that , though..
Hi everyone! I just got another bruise and burst on the bottom of my index and middle fingers on my right hand. I was baking halfway and it just happened!

I have had this problem previously, quite a few times and they either happened on the bottom of my palm where the most flesh is, or on my thumbs or other fingers. It has been a while since it last reoccurred and today, it's here to visit me again. When it happens, the skin around that area will be tight, sore, swollen and then a little numb.

I am a daily coffee drinker and I type a lot. Currently I'm taking prenatal vitamins and I'm not too sure if it is part of the cause as I have experienced this before.  
I am a healthy 55 yr old non smoker/non drinker with the low end of normal blood pressure.. I have had veins popping mainly in my fingers/hands for the past 25 years.  It started after an emergency C-section where I required 4 units of blood transfusions.  I have questioned multiple primary care doctors over the years about this and I get the same response: "Oh...hmm...I don't know."  And then move on to something else.  The popping does come in bouts.  I've had 4 in the past 2 days.  It is comforting to know I'm not alone but I too have concerns of a brain anuerysm.
Sunday night I was washing my hair when my right thumb felt like I had been cut by a piece of glass (of course, I had not been); it was extremely painful, swelled and turned blue/purple immediately.  A hard knot that was painful for quite a while.  The extreme pain subsided but today (Tuesday)  the black and blue is still slightly visible and the knot is still painful when pressed.  This has occurred a number of times in fingers and toes and is quite annoying because I don't know what causes it.  I'm 61, avg wt, relatively healthy considering I have RA and fibromyalgia.  I recently was in a hospital supervised study for a cholesterol medication from blueberry and grape seed extract.  I was advised not to continue with that product because my choloresterol increased significantly instead of lowering like it was suppose to.  Am glad there are others having this problem.  I haven't found a medical professional who can explain it though.
Wow, just finished the entire thread, trying to find a pattern.  Seems weight and diet are not real factors, age not too related either.  I've had the problem for a few yrs, (47 yrs old now) and just assumed it was premenopausal, since Mom always had the problem too (genetic?).   I drink  4 -5 coffee/ day, maybe a beer or 2 a nite.  Overweight, overstressed, underexercised.  Take no vitamins, eat chips, but not too bad a diet otherwise.  I've had what the doc called "very close veins" in my left leg for 25yrs (ugly!! - and i was super skinny & in shape then), and spider veins etc now.   Oh, next to no moons in  finger nails.   So what's the common link?
I, too, have had blood vessels pop in my fingers for years. I'm 64, female, with Reynaud's, and just had two this week - one in each index finger. I will not be as concerned, but will continue to do research. thank you all.
After reading a majority of these posts I now see a clear connection between Raynaud's Phenomenon, low blood pressure and the mysterious SISKS (Sudden Itchy Swollen Knuckle Syndrome').    Tonight I had my second episode. Left hand, palm-side knuckle of index finger: sudden, instense pain similar to that felt from a stinging wasp or embedded thorn.  The area at the knuckle crease quickly began to swell and turn purple (as though a too-tight rubber band was cutting off circulation to the joint).   Hurt like hell.   Five hours later, the pain is gone but the discoloration lingers.  

Two weeks ago this same mysterious condition occurred on the ring finger of my left hand.  I assumed I'd been stung by an insect, but was wary because not many insects venture beneath wedding bands.    I felt no "pop" either time.  

Tonight's episode prompted me to connect here.  BTW, I am a 52 year old post-menopausal female in very good health.   I was recently diagnosed with early, mild Raynaud's.  I have low blood pressure and am 5' 8" , 138 lbs.  I'm active but not extremly athletic.

I"m concerned there are other veins silently "popping" in my body and that the
SISKS I'm experiencing are a potential sign of problems to come.   Why is this happening and what can I do to prevent further deteoration?   Thanks <3

Hi all,

in contrast to most of you it seems I'm male and having had finger veins popping for about 10 years now (I'm 44, 6"3, 209lbs).
I never drink, smoke or get caffeine. I eat plenty of vegetables and only small amounts of meat.
I've was extremely fit doing hard workouts several hours daily when it started. I'd just softly touch something and then the swelling started caused by the internal bleeding. Usually the swelling lasts less than a day with the blue gone in a few days. It doesn't spread much around the joint and I've never had anything I'd call pain.
For the last 5 years or so my exercising has decreased and my weight gone up about 25 lbs (on the way down again) without any change in popping pattern. Last night after doing exercises with mild pressure on the inside of my wrist (laying down flat on stomach with arms to the side) I noticed a bump the size of an acorn. It's hard but I don't seem to feel any pain or other discomfort and no bruising visible yet (maybe it's too deep).

I have always had a tendency to cold hands and feet but never seen it as a problem despite living in a cold climate (Scandinavia). It was worse as a child when I was skinny and less now.

I noticed someone mentioning a potential link to gluten intolerance.
My mom has gluten intolerance (inheritance factor) - unnoticed until she was 60. My grand mom died at 63 due to a rupture vessel in the brain.

I'm going to follow up on this with doctors soon.
Forgot to mention that I've never taken any medication whatsoever and do not use food supplements or vitamins either.
try hawthorne berry and foodform vitamin c to strengthen blood vessels...doctors tend to prescribe drugs that may harm you rather than help...good luck
Typical Vitamin C you buy is asorbic acid.  NOT the same.  www.realfoodnutrients.com is the only place I know to purchase it.  

I have a mix of issues... Popping blood vessels in fingers, Raynauds since a young girl, slight positive to Lupus ( not sure what slight means) , and all the signs and symptoms that go with this mix....blotchy hands and feet which itch when this occurs, joints that hurt and swell when they get cold.....my life experience/experiment findings are...when fingers are cold you need to run them under hot water to get them warm and ciculating (medically important), also keep the body core warm.  Biotin really helps with circulation, which has totally helped my Raynauds, and my hair and fingernail growth.  As for the vessels breaking, which is how I found this sight, I am at a quandary.  My mom, old retired family doc, just mentioned vitamin K.  I think it is worth a try.  Vitamin K helps with clotting.   I have also had great success with Chinese Medicine.  Acupuncture, natural vitamins, and trying to eat lots of veggies, the green leafy ones, has been positive.....
I have the most of the same symptoms as stlgirl792(Sep).  Here's me...I don't bruise easily except my finger joints.  Close the car door wrong, grasp the steering wheel to hard, open another door wrong, dog pulls too hard.  There goes the vessels.  Not always the same one though.  I also have low blood pressure, instant tunnel vision and headache/dizziness if I stand up too fast (getting out of car...it sits low)  getting up from playing with the pet.  Thought it was because I have a Chiari I /one/ (16mm)  Guess not.  Additionally It's near impossible for them to start IVs on me.  I've been told I have tough skin and weak veins.  I'll explain...first of all, they "roll" (maybe our fingerjoint vessels are just getting in the way at the wrong time) and most of the time they collapse the veins in my arms when trying to take blood for some reason or another.  They (Docs/Nurses) have gone to using the "butterfly" and still have an issue with rolling but most of the time they are quick enough.  Hands (and feet) are ALWAYS cold though never turn blue but I've had to stop sitting on them (to keep them warm) because I've bruised the joints that way too.  Three weeks ago I found out that my Vitamins D and B12 were very low.  After 3 weeks of 50,000 units of Vitamin D and an over the counter B12...Bruised again twice.  I'm sure the vitamins will take time if that is the real reason.
WOW! I too just had an itching sensation followed by pain and swelling of a blood vessel in my finger. Usually this happens when my dog tugs too hard on the leash, or I try to catch a falling object and it "knicks" my fingers. I too am slim, active and healthy, have recently tested positive for Epstein Barr, and have been tested for many autoimmune diseases. Also, my family has a history of stroke. That's why I panicked and immediately rushed to the internet to find out if I am in danger of complications (I thought of blood clot issues.) This thread is all very interesting... I'll keep posted.
Hi just thought I'd comment as I also have this mysterious bruising on inside of finger joints but wanted to add that I also have badly bruised bones on the bottoms of my feet. Although I work on a concrete floor I was wondering to myself if the 2 problems were related in anyway. When the foot Dr x rayed the bottom of one of my feet he stated there was arthritis in there but the bruising is due to the padding of feet gone. Has anyone researched or asked if arthritis can cause this bruising of finger joints?. When I seen another foot dr about my bruised feet we discussed my fingers bruising as well. This was recent and he suggested I get a blood test to see if I'm diabetic..Also read this question on one of those paid Dr question sites and that Dr said it was from either aspirin, ibuprophen some drugs like prozac or was a small inflamatory of the small vessels...I take ibuprophen on occasion for the pain in my feet but somehow don't think it's frequent enough to cause this..Havn't gone yet to be checked for diabetis though...but thought I'd add these bits of info here.
Try switching from ibuprophen to tart cherry pills from www.swansonhealth.com   It still thins the blood but is safer than ibuprophen which can cause additional health problems like high blood pressure, increase risk of heart attack or stroke...   Many times they have them buy 1 get 1 free or you could eat tart cherries but they are harder to find and the pills are cheaper...    I don't have a blood sugar problem and I haven't heard that anyone else with this does.....

Here are the similarities I have found from all these posts:  inflammatory diseases like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma---which are all systemic and affect organs and bones.... Chronic fatigue; anemia; low blood pressure; not overweight; most are health conscious....

If you have a diabetic friend or relative they could check your blood sugar a few times and you could save yourself a trip to the doctor.

I have the breaking blood vessels on bottom of feet and fingers and wrists.  My mom and a sister don't have enough padding on bottom of feet.  I don't know if I do---- never thought about that until I read your post.  The only thing that helps my feet are Doc Marten shoes.  They are the only brand I can wear--- the ones with the light color tan rubber bottoms.  My sister can only wear Danskos.  She works on her feet all day too.  

Hope you get some answers and some help.  Sorry you have to stand on your feet all day/
I forgot Raynaud's.  That seems to be a common problem among these people.  I have it too.
Hi I got an iPad about a month ago and have been totally addicted to it... My index finger .... The one I use the most, got a bulging vein today when I was at the mall....I wasn't  carrying anything .... Not even a pocketbook so I was wondering if maybe the over use of this finger could have caused the vein to pop.... It really hurt and it scared me a little too. ...
It's a mystery...
I just got one early tonight in my upper joint on my left hands pinky finger.  Its now turned some what purple just about all the way down the finger.  At first like others a bit of pain, sting like.  Now no pain from what i can tell, just purple looking.  I was using the leaf blower today to blow off my parents huge drive way and pool area.  Wonder if that caused it.  And I do alot with my hands, mostly cleaning up around here, I say here b/c I still live with parents.  I have gotten one of these before but that's been years ago I think.  Thing is, it's not my right hand, it happen on my left hands pinky, which is the hand I least use.
It seems to be random...and a mystery.

Do you have any of the problems the others have like low weight, low blood pressure, inflammatory diseases like lupus or other diseases or syndromes like chroni fatigue, raynaud's etc?

I doubt any doctor out there will ever figure it out and many of these people have had this from young age to now 30 years later, so I am just not worrying about it anymore.  It seems to be more of a painful annoyance rather than a serious medical problem since they are still alive and haven't had brain bleeds---which was my initial fear.

I am not a person to go to the doctor because of all the bad experiences in the past.   My only good doctor that actually took me seriously and was thoughtful, listened and was helpful---he really tried to figure things out---retired.  And this symptom/sign appeared after he retired.

You should go to the doctor if that's what you think you should do or if you feel led to just put up with it and are not anxious and worrying---do what I do..forget it.

You could take foodform Vitamin C which is supposed to be the best form.  I started taking it but I cannot say if it helps or not.  It is just so random and hard to figure out.  I give up.
Yes i agree; probably time to stop worrying.
I have found a BIG improvement over the last 12 months of taking grapeseed extract and high-strength fish-oils. I spent hours researching the best supplements for bloodvessel wall strengthening. Vitamin C always comes up first, so i take that , but i can definitely recommend the others.
I am so glad I found this place.. Here is my story that got me searching for answers...

I am 36, I have two children, I smoke, I drink, I take adderral to keep me focused at my very stressful job, I take a strong sleeping pill at night. I am called a "judy" by my psychiatrist but he's a jerk so I dont care about his opinion.

I am a very smart, educated, classy excecutive type that has a temper  that one day will probably get me in trouble. I dont spank my kids or fight with my husband in front of my kids, but if it was legal to beat your husband, I would be the one taking advantage of that..lol (second marriage by the way)

My "attacks" started about 8 months ago. I remember the first one was on the inside of my knee, the second somewhere on my hand, and the thrid and fourth on the pads of my fingers.. This was the weirdest thing ever.  I dont have any of the illnesses or syndromes that a lot of you do, that I am aware of at least, but I know that everytime I get super angry at my husband, I hit a table or a wall, just to release some steam.

The painful beginning of the bruise that begins to form right in front of my eyes for me, is caused by an extreme stressful moment. I thought before that if I smack a wall or something, that is why I bruise. but this is a different type of brusing, you know? The first time it happened, I was upset and on the couch, I didnt hit anything and the inside of my knee locked up and stung and hurt like hell.. Then I began to see a bruise form. The fingers I will say hurt the most. Its scary also.

One day maybe someone will find out what this is. We all need to know if its a sign of something to come or a symptom of what we already have. Good luck to everyone. Health is not something money can buy. Cherish it.. (I know I am a hypocrit since I smoke)

Wow!  This really throws every "theory of similarities" in the dumper!  Most everyone is overly health-conscious and most don't smoke or drink or are on medication.  It is even more mysterious now.  

Perhaps you might want to consider a CBC (complete blood count) -- typical yearly bloodwork.  And if you have a doctor that would test you for ANA (which is a blood test which would show an inflammatory disease) it might be helpful to know if you do have something in common.  That may be the only test that would let you know.  However, you can have an inflammatory disease for years before the ANA will come out positive.  I had false negatives for years even though my doc was sure I had at the very least Lupus.  You sound like the type of person that could demand the test whether the doctor agrees or not. I know I just find a new doctor if he/she won't listen and run the tests I have wanted.

You seem to have a good sense of humor.  Maybe we should ask the rest if they do.  You made me laugh.  It's good you practice "displacement."  I'm sure your husband appreciates it.  

What is a "Judy?"  I haven't heard that one before.  
Thanks for the comments.. yes I agree I dont share many of the same traits as the others here for this disorder. I asked to have blood work months ago and everything came out normal. There is no way in my opinion but I can't prove blood work wrong.

A "Judy"? lol are you ready for this? Keep in mind my shrink said this to me... Judy Garland! Is that a free pass to sue him or what? oh well, he's old and shows signs of hating his job..

Anyhow, I haven't had any brusing for a little while now, and I have tried to calm down a lot! I just think there is still more to it then stress, has to be.
Another thing i have which may be linked ; i've always had very weak hair/nails/teeth. Anyone else have similar problems?
Hi thank god i found this today i am a smoker haven't had a drink in a while have three  children 9,5,3 I run A very successful although stressful Playgroup close to where i live here is my story i am 33 years old i have ankylosing spondylitis for about 5 years now was taking all sorts of steriods and anti inflammatory until 3 months ago i was placed on Humira (adalimumab) its a antibody specific for human tumor necrosis factor (TNF). now i started taking injection site reactions and was taken of it they have changed me to enbrel now . as a child i had very bad raynaud's  but I THOUGHT because it settled down it went away but recently been feeling it a little....a couple of time i have pricked my finger some way or another and have been feeling this dreadful pain but i just kept putting it down to the  spondylitis but today it happened and i just freaked right out cause all the blood vessels both sides of my hand 'popped' and i thought i was on the verge of a stroke.... it was really scary i went straight on to the internet and found all you guys are having similar symptoms.....thanks  
Hi. In reading the posts, low blood pressure, coffee drinking, and low thyroid came up a few times. I agree that diet, age, weight, activity or lack thereof do not seem to be dominant factors.
The sensations we all seem to experience and the fact that the most common place for the bruising to occur is on the palm-side of our hands is an interesting and, I suspect, must be a significant factor.
Is this consistent with what you saw?
mine are mostly around knuckles , but also along biceps and occasionally in eyes...
Well that was rude of him but good for you to let him off the hook!  My husband is retired a-typical psychologist and I he never heard of a "Judy" nor would he call a patient that.  I guarantee it's not stress related.  Once after an MRI of the brain years ago the neurologist (also a psychiatrist) looked at the faxed report---NOT the actual result--- said "touch your toes" then "you look fine to me."  Then wanted to prescribe psychiatric drugs.  I thought my husband was going to haul off and punch him.  We probably should have sued the guy.  That was about 17 years ago and I have been in a steady decline.  He never even suggested further testing.  Now I have a positive ANA result which proves the Lupus my husband suspected due to hair breaking off around face, etc.  My joints are deforming in the last year which would suggest Rheumatoid which is the same systemic disease as Lupus and the ANA positive would prove this along with the symptoms.  

Do your own research.  Fire your shrink!  LOL
i am not sure yet what it is i have but in some way it is comforting to know that i am not alone and that perhaps i can get answers. i am a 33 year old female and i have noticed that my fingers swell every now and then if i grip something not necessarily a strong grip,like for example sometimes opening the door i would notice the vein on my finger start to swell  a lot and turns purple. or sometimes when i turn the knob of the faucet, i find it strange since i don't know anyone who had or is having the same symptoms. i do have occasional headaches and dizziness and sometimes i get tired easily even if i did not really do much,i exercise regularly,not overweight but i don't take vitamins and now maybe i should start taking some. for the past 3 months or so i have been hanging out with my friends more often and consuming alcoholic beverages more than i should. i don't know if it has something to do with the change? the veins on my hands and bulging more than usual and i fell like my skin is thinning,lol i don't know if that is possible.
I had similar fainting symptoms. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. An acupuncturist suggested it was too much yeast in the digestive track. A nutritionist convinced me that I should eliminate all yeast products as well as anything that makes yeast grow (sugar, fermented foods etc.). It wasn't easy but when the elimination diet was followed, I felt like myself after 8 years of illness.
Ninety percent of the time, I refrain from the "White Diet". I no longer have Fainting Spells, Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
You can reintroduce yourself to yeast products if your body allows it, but remember that an overabundance creates toxins in your body. If you revert to your prior ways, you will experience symptoms. I "cheat" once and awhile and have symptoms. The latest is the blood vessel popping (not sure if these symptoms relate to the "White Diet"). Peace & Good Health.  
I have had 'popping veins' on the palm side of my hands (maily around finger joints) for years and decided to google the issue after a single recent event. For the record I am a very fit and healthy male and have exercised daily for most of my life. I have no detremental social habits (smoking  and excessive drinking etc) and can think of no exotic condition which I can remotely link to the issue. No circulatory issue, normal blood pressure, stable body weight, normal BMI etc, etc  
I cannot think of any recurrent cause to link each event. In fact the only link I appear to have with the majority of fellow 'popping' posters is the actual event. As an added point my long term healthy diet includes a daily supplementary fish oil (4000mg) and Vit C (1000mg). So it looks like I am on the extreme range of the distribution curve for this issue.  
I found in my research that asorbic acid vit c is ineffective compared to foodform vit c which you can get from wellness support 888.580.9390  or www.realfoodnutrients.com

I can't remember why but they can tell you if you want to research it further.  How old are you?  No Epstein Barr Virus?  No Mono?  No Chronic Fatigue?  I think you are only one of two males that posted here.

This is crazy, isn't it?  The one thing I DO believe and it's just my opinion from reading all these posts and other research---is that it doesn't seem to be a major health concern like impending stroke or aneurism (as I am certain we have all worried about.)  It seems to be more of an annoyance than a health ristk since many of these women have had it for years and years.  

If you are young (20's or 30's) maybe you should test for Epstein Barr, God forbid that you will develop more problems like most of the rest of us.
I am aged 50 (but in denial, hence the exercise regime). No Epstein Barr Virus.  No Chronic Fatigue. I am guessing mono is Pfeiffer's disease? if so then, no to that one too. Like I said the only commonality with the other postings appears to be the actual condition.

Agreed the Vit C supplement is not ideal but it is additional to a healthy diet of fruit and veg. After reading all the postings, I too noticed there to be a lack of male posters, well this is a female health forum after all and maybe the popping does not occur in your average man in the street.

I also agree, that although the popping events are uncomfortable, there does not appear to be any obvious major health issues. But it would be comforting to identify possible triggers.

Right, Infectious mono...well i am your age so your outlook seems good to me...If you have no other symptoms I would bet you won't get any.  I understand the need to solve an annoying mystery.  One thing is for sure--the doctors aren't too helpful.  Perhaps when one of them or their spouses or children suffer from this they will get more involved.  Best wishes to you.
I'm 61. Have had burst blood vessels/veins in fingers on occasion for last 10 years or so, usually when I grip something tightly.  Feels like a bee sting, then a dark blue/purpleish bruise forms.  

I am hypo-thyroid, have high blood pressure (it's normal with medication), have mild vitiligo, and had polymyalgia rheumatica back in '05 - thank goodness that's gone.  I am an active person & feel great most days.

I bought a bare root rose yesterday and while moving it from the car was pricked by a thorn on the inside of my forearm.  Just a few drops of blood on the outside of my arm but was surprised to see a large knot of blood forming under the skin.  My husband applied a pressure bandage and I kept the arm above my heart and it seemed to stop bleeding within a short while.  Today I have an ugly 7 inch bruise from the bleed.  The area is still a bit sore but the "knot of blood" is gone. No sign of infection.

This freaked me out a bit!  I'm glad I found this forum though - I'll eat more citrus for vitamin C and look into grapeseed extract.

Linda
I am also looking for answers, I have had this before, thought it was a pinched artery from a cervical rib in my neck.  Went to the vascular surgeon, he took out the rib.  Artery never got better, it "dried up".  Then my right hand, same side the rib was taken out started turning black again.  Went back, did a test, which the wrist then turned black, said the artery was totally occluded and was puzzled but said, "if it's not bothering you then leave it alone".  HUH?  Well, just yesterday, Feb 8, my middle finger on LEFT hand "popped" while I was drying my hands!  So, it can't be the artery.  I had been fine for a couple of years, now this!  Does anyone ever answer these questions?  
I've posted a few times over the past few years and, in August 2011, added a post about my dermatologist's comment that 500 MG of Vitamin C is great for maintenance, but that I should take 2000 MG per day to build up vein walls, which might help with this finger vein popping problem.  I'm posting today to note that I have been taking 2000 MG of Vitamin C a day (Ester C) for about 6 months, and I've had noticeably fewer problems with my fingers.  
I'm glad I found this web posting tonight!  Just had an incident an hour ago where I felt a sting in my finger, blue spot, and now the whole pad of my right pointer finger is purple, tight and hurts.  I was worried "do I need to call a doctor?"  but now not so much.  I'm thin, 45 yrs. old, eat extrememly well, take lots of vitamins and work out 5x week.  Low blood pressure.  It seems like that is similar to many on this forum.  I'll be curious to see when someone gets an answer!
I hate to say it but I will be surprised if anyone ever does get an answer!  Well, if it happens to a doctor or someone in their family, perhaps. Then again, wil they bother to share the info?  Most of them think we are all a bunch of hypochondriatic kooks!
Another Raynaud's sufferer here. Interestingly, though I have suffered with very cold hands and feet for some time, my most recently popped and bruised finger turned that bloodless, ultra-white including white nail, which I have seen in pictures of severe Raynaud's cases, a couple of days after the trauma, when I was washing my hands. As my other fingers looked normal I found this very scary, and thought it might be a clot from the bruising. The blood flow returned after I had rubbed it (felt ice cold and dead) and put it under the hot tap! I have also started getting chilblains on fingers and toes in the winter.

For the record I am 49, female, quite thin, fit, always had low blood pressure, irregular heart beat (pacs), classic migraine sufferer - visual symptoms but rarely pain, and my popped vessels typically occur when carrying shopping bags and using vacuum cleaner. More likely when hands are cold, though it wasn't always this way. My most recent burst never really healed and has just become bruised again.
Another Raynauds sufferer here!  Like many others, I have normal blood pressure, normal weight, healthy and on no medications but take vitamins (including D3, fish oil and over 1000mg of C every day).  I'm 39 now and I think I got my first one at about 35 years old.  It sometimes happens in summer and sometimes in winter and until last night I always thought it was some kind of insect bite (always on the palm side, middle knuckle of whichever finger or thumb).  

The only thing that helps when I feel the "bee sting" beginnings of it is to ice it as soon and as long as possible to stop it developing into what I call the Black Digit of Death - the bruising can be really quite severe!  Quite frustrating that there seems to be no diagnosis or treatment as such, but it's reassuring that we all seem to be finding each other here and it seems to be a benign inconvenience.
FYI:  THIS IS THE PLACE WHERE I GET THE FOODFORM VIT C AND THIS EMAIL EXPLAINS WHY IT IS THE BEST FORM:

Dear Dr. C,

Sorbitol (a form of sugar) travels to certain parts of the body where it builds up. These parts of the body are the lens of the eye where it forms a white milky film called cataracts, and the sciatic nerve (the big nerve that runs down your leg) where it causes nerve damage (nerve pain).

Studies have shown that taking 2,000 mg a day of vitamin C reduces the production of sorbitol and strips sorbitol out of the body.

The only way you can acquire the vitamin C you need is through your diet and/or supplementation.

Most of the �vitamin C� sold in the US is ascorbic acid. This is a man-made chemical found nowhere in nature.

There is a huge difference between WSN Vitamin C and ascorbic acid. The more ascorbic acid you take, the less your body absorbs.

In contrast, WSN Vitamin C containing 100 percent Foodform Vitamin C is a whole food containing no ascorbic acid and the body knows exactly how to absorb and use it.

In fact, 3 WSN Vitamin C tablets contain almost as much whole food vitamin C as a half-gallon of fresh squeezed orange juice!

You can find out more and order the WSN Vitamin C by using this link:
http://www.realfoodnutrients.com/VitaminC/home.htm

Or you can call me at (888) 580-9390.

You can call or email me anytime you have a question because I want to make sure you get the results that you are after.

Best Regards,

Larry McCormick
Senior Product Consultant
Hey  there girl, I'm 49, 5'7", weigh 115 lbs, but I'm somewhat goodlooking so ppl think, including doctors, that I'm healthy, I consider myself a decrepid monkey skeleton...also with Lupus, positive ANA with a centrometre pattern, which indicated I also have crest scleraderma to, how nice....anyways I was sitting on the couch with company doing nothing and the vein on my finger burst, felt the burn, turned blue, purple, yellow and later into a hard bump which I've had since last week...still blue and purple.  I understand how lousy life can be sometimes due to chronic pain, fatigue, anxiety, depression, and surprise injuries/illnesses, like I exercised in the pool and just from a simple stretch I couldn't use my arm the next day, couldn't lift it from my leg and 3 days later my hand and wrist swelled with extreme pain, of course no dr could explain what was wrong with my hand, my shoulder developed busitis and was turning into frozen shoulder, it ***** and I'm sick everyday yet I was just denied yesterday for disability thru my govenment because when I saw a Rheumy last he didn't see anything remarkable on my body? such as swelling to determine that I'm in pain...oh well I'm rambling on....I'm going to see a faith healer in New York next month...I saw him on the Wm Shatner Program "Weird or What"....nothing to lose...hoping to gain some pain free days....will let u know how I make out in New York if you want...take care
Most doctors are so stupid!  I am so tired of hearing "you look fine to me."  I turn down painkillers.  Does that sound like drug-seeking behavior?  Sorry about the scleroderma too.  That's not good news.  Here's my theory.  I am a sick person.  My husband believes me.  A few good friends know.  Recently, due to the parkinson's it's a fiasco trying to feed myself at 49 now?  Disgusting!  Can't get the food in my mouth.  Takes forever.  U am not going to get well.  My doctor mocked me when I mentioned disability.  He said I would never qualify.  Nice.

I have studied all the world religion---reared as a Catholic.  We have an 8,000 book library.  I decided to study the doctrines and compare them all to the Bible.  So, here's my next theory.  I have come to believe in the God of the Bible.  Jehovah in the OT is, indeed, the same God, Jesus, in the NT.  He came to the earth, took my place on the cross, shedding His own blood as my sacrifice--and did this for everyone.  ALL God requires in this age is that we BELIEVE this and ask HIM to be our Saviour.  This proves we have faith He exists and claim HIs sacrifice for us--paying the debt I owe for my sins---or else we would have to pay for our own sins in the next life.  So I made a decision. I decided to change my mind from my mystical religious beliefs after much in depth research and just, simply as Jesus to be my saviour as the bible and ONLY the bible requires.  Every single other religion requires so many hoops to jump through, so many rules to keep, so many works to work, pilgrimages to go on.  I decided the Bible made sense.  It's fair.  And besides, who else but God could come up with a plan like that?  It's the opposite of religious denominatons.  So here's my next theory.  I will spend eternity with God in heaven, not because I am good but because He is and keeps His promise to take anyone who accepts Jesus' sacrifice, in their place, to pay the debt owed for sin----to a pain-free eternity.

So I will live here with what I face daily, praying for strength to make it through the next day for my family's sake.  And I don't believe I will be healed here.  But there is the next life that won't end.  This life is short.  The next is forever.  I will wait for it and suffer through until which time my God takes me "home."   Yes, it's scary being sick.  I am in a rapid decline.  People don't understand.  Doctors are the worst!

I refuse to say, "why me, why me?"  After reading so many of these stories here and on the parkinson's blogs, the lupus blogs, the rheumatoid blogs--- I can now say, "Why not me?"  

Just like we can research our health, searching for real answers and when we CHOOSE the help that rings true---- we can research life, death, faith, eternal life and CHOOSE the "remedy" that rings true.  I choose Jesus and the Bible.  That's my theory.

I hope and pray you continue to research and choose that which rings true.
I have exactly the same issues you do--problems starting IVs because of very small or collapsing veins, the occasional "sting" feeling followed by a small bluish bump under the skin, which is painful if I push on it.  They seem to go away on their own eventually, but I have one now which has been there for several weeks and shows no sign of disappearing.  Need to see my doc about an unrelated issue, but will ask him about this & post any info I get.  Thanks for your post
I'm a 68 year old man in excellent health, with good blood pressure and excellent cholesterol.  Also have an excellent diet.

With me, the bruising happens in the fingers after using a garden tool or, say, slamming the back of my pickup closed.  The best remedy is to use padding (gloves, a handkerchief, a folded tissue),  watch out for non-rounded edges (which focus the pressure on a smaller area of the hand), and not overdo the muscle force you apply.  

Aspirin definitely makes me more prone to the problem.
I play tennis 3x per week and do not have a problem with bruising of my racket hand UNLESS I have taken an aspirin the day before!  Whether the aspirin contributes to the initial tear in the cappilary, or whether it just prevents a tiny tear from clotting before a pool of blood escapes, I don't know.

I worry a little whether this means I'm more prone to brain hemorhage,
but, of course, the capillaries in our brain aren't subject to being squeezed!
I also get these bruises in my fingers for the the last ten years or so.It's interesting that so many of you describe it as "popping" as that is exactly how it feels to me too.
I am a 36 year old fit and healthy mother.I exercise,eat very nutritiously and take supplements.I am a non-smoker and have low alcohol intake.
My last bruise occurred on Saturday.I was just back from a run,had a shower and while I was hoovering, I felt the sharp pain and suddenly there was a large bruise on my index finger,before the first knuckle.It came from just gripping the hoover hose tightly.
My mother,who is in her seventies,has also being getting these for the last number of years.She has Osteoarthritis,but is very fit and healthy for her age.Her own mother died of stroke in her seventies.
My concerns are that I have started to get these bruises earlier than my mother.Also in the last year I have had swelling,pain and stiffness in my knuckles.I had full blood tests to outrule Rheumatoid Arthrites last month.The results weren't conclusive,they showed some inflammation but not positive for RA.
Usually when I get these "popping bruises" they used to be small and go away quickly but they are becoming more frequent,every few weeks, and the bruise quickly turns into a hard lump and the finger that is affected gets numb,cold and has pins and needles for several days after.
I have never connected the bruises with the swollen and painful knuckles but the next time I am with the doctor I will mention this and see if there's any 'light bulb moment!'
The majority of us seem to be healthy,not overweight and prone to the cold.
I always wear gloves while gardening too as my fingers go white with the cold.
Has anyone else the numb and cold feeling in the bruised finger?
At the moment the front of my finger is very numb and the lump is still very painful.
Thanks to everyone for sharing,It is great to know that we're not alone with this funny condition and that it doesn't seem to cause any other problems.
What was the RA test?  Was it the ANA  blood test?  If so, you can test negative for years while still having RA or Lupus or Scleroderma I do believe.  At least that's what happened to me.  Good luck.
It's amazing that this condition is supposedly rare but so many people have experienced it!  I am sitting here with a giant purple thumb, relieved that i am certainly not alone.  I would suggest it is a common occurence and one comment on page 1 rings true for me.  I am 42, have low blood pressure, am not overweight (or underweight) and I guess there could be hormonal issues, given my age.  Just wish i could bend my thumb though.

I am so relieved! I thought I was crazy! 24 F, in good health- well I guess. I recently was told I have this "rare" Raynauds Syndrome. Hands and feet go very numb, turn purple, etc. If I touch certain metals, especially outdoors (chains on swings, railings, etc.) my hands swell and itch. Just today I was doing yard work and noticed my right index finger was sore. Looked down, there was a purple looking bruise and it was raised- Broken blood vessel. Not the only time this has happened. Based on this and previous posts from others these things have to be related.
The RA test was for the Rheumatoid factor.That was negative.
I think it was the ESR which was raised which shows inflammation.
As you say though it can be all very inconclusive as you can have swollen,sore joints and have normal blood tests.
Hope you're doing well.
Thanks for info...I am not doing well nor do I expect to.   Oh well.  Hope you do better than me.
Female, 60, hypothyroid (currently untreated), good BP, good weight. No major medical problems but I am under an extreme amount of stress. Have a vein pop about every two to three weeks- started 3 months ago. Couple days ago had a pop in middle finger near joint that caused a lot of pain in that joint. Just adding mine to the list...
Scary to leave hypothyroidism untreated...better research that one if you haven't.  Why not treat it?
low blood pressure, thin, Raynaud's, vascular history. A few things strike me.
Auto immune hiding in the backround and nutritional deficencies. If their is a substance(read food) that irritates the GI, whether real auto immune or more like a contact dermatitis. (damn I can't remember the technical term), the GI tract gets damaged and cannot absorb a particular nutrient or enough of the nutrient. For example- people with  untreated celiac most often have calcium and B12 issues. But there is research with the NIH that shows defiecencies in Niacin. And, even after being on the diet, the deficencies continue. There are also people who are born with problems absorbing nutrients.(Measuring blood levels is not the same as tissue levels and those test are way too expensive and mostly research oriented)
SoI look at it as a two edged sword. Something I am eating may keep me from absorbing nutrients as well as I may be lacking nutrients. It is almost  impossible to eat all the nutrients necessary on a daily basis. (I've done a couple of hundred calculations). And I can eat all the nutrients and not have them absorbed. No wonder it is not clear cut.Traditional American nutrition and medicine scream that vitamins and minerals are not necessary in the general population, but that cannot prove to me.
My right middle finger and pointer finger in the second joint started breaking and turning blue after a trip skiing for 3 days. my gloves let my hands sweat and then freeze. a second pair of gloves and a pair of socks on top could not keep them warm or stop the pain. Now it keeps coming back. Sometimes healing, sometimes breaking out again. I just went to the vascular surgeon to have my leg varicose veins removed and the family has a history of vascular issues. What a heads up you thread has been.
My celiac is under control and I take b vitamins, so I am looking towards the grapseed and vit c. I probably need a good multi vitamin. So in my case, I have negated the auto immune, but not necessarily the diet.
Vit c has been used for everything, but in this case, it makes sense. Just one last note, I learned recently, when buying Vitamins, only spend money on ones that are USP . They are tested to have the potentecy that they say they have. I beleive there are only 3 brands out of all of them that are certified. I won't try to sell any one, but a heads up. I really wonder if the ones I have been using really work or are too old.
I am your clone.  same lifestyle, age, symptoms.  Did you find out what it was?
Caz
I notice that my blood vessel's burst more when I am stressed. I have Von Willebrand disease, however, my doctor has asked me to get tested for Raynaud's disease, due to the poor circulation in my hands and feet. My daughter also has Von Willebrand disease without the blood vessel's popping in her hands, however hers was more in the forearm area.

My worst episode of blood vessels "popping out of control" was while I was going through a very nasty divorce and had a very stressful day at court. That night my back felt so sore and when I looked in the mirror  I seen that the entire upper left half of my back was black and blue.

Stress is part of the issue I think. I have also noticed that it happens less when I am sufficiently hydrated.
Has anyone taken an antibiotic in the last year? If so, what type?
yes....z-pak
As I read all of the posts I kept waiting for it...
....No one ever said it.
Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.  The connective tissue disease wherein the body's production of collagen is faulty. Tissues and blood vessels are fragile and damage or tear easily.  Patients have frequent bruising.  There is sometimes an intolerance for cold ("chill blains", Reynaud's) with actual histamine like reactions to extreme temperatures (swelling, redness, itching) & Mast Cell like symptoms. Some types of EDS are associated with low body weight, low blood pressure and there is often a tendency towards orthostatic intolerance or POTS (dizziness on standing).  It is not uncommon for us to have bleeding disorders like Von Willebrand's Disease -and, since Platelet Storage Pool Deficiency has collegen as part of its clotting cascade- it's not surprising that many EDS sufferers have a "tendency to bleed" without knowing why.
Since collagen is found throughout our bodies, and acts as "the glue" to help hold us together, it is not surprising that most of the body's systems can be affected by this disease.  Frequent dislocations or subluxations (partial dislocations) are common which often results in premature joint damage, osteo arthritis and other orthopedic problems. EDS patients are often said to have stretchy, soft, velvety skin which may be pale or readily show underlying veins. Exhaustion, fatigue and diffuse pain are common problems, as are digestive problems (reflux, gastritis, gastroparesis, & IBS) and sleep disorders.
I have been diagnosed with both Classical & Hypermobile EDS as well as the associated Von Willebrand's Disease and Platelet Storage Pool deficiency. I have been spontaneously rupturing vessels on my feet, ankles, hands, forearms, fingers and toes for years. It has been very helpful to know my diagnosis as there are a few cardiac considerations that should be evaluated and possibly monitored.  
Interestingly, as I kept reading the posts, there was alot of discussion about Vitamin C -with suggested dosages as high as 2000mg.  Patients with EDS are recommended to take 4000mg of Vitamin C as this helps with the production of collagen.
For more information on this subject go to the NHLBI's informational pages on Ehler's Danlos Syndrome.
This is really interesting.
Is joint hypermobility always present ? i don't have that , although i do suffer from ( in addition to the rupturing blood vessels in arms , legs , and eyes) dizziness on standing , fatigue ,osteoarthritis,. I have always had weak hair & nails , so there is obviously a problem with the collagen.
Is there any point in trying to get GP to investigate in this direction ? They mostly put my symptoms down to anxiety , and recommend SSRI or counselling!
Currently taking fish oils , grapeseed extract , and vit C.
There are different types of EDS some types have more joint hypermobility than others but, for the most part, they are all caused by faulty collagen production.  A GP may not be familiar with Ehlers Danlos as it is considered a "rare" disease although some estimates say as many as 1 in 5000 people have it.  I would go to the NIH website, look at the information they have on the different types of EDS, and if you are still concerned, ask your doctor for a referral to a geneticist who could determine whether or not you may have this condition.
Because it is a hereditary condition, there is no cure -only management of symptoms.  However, there are certain types of EDS that require closer medical supervision -so I think that if you suspect that this might be your problem- you should look into it further.
How were you fortunate to find a doctor that even listened to you, let alone diagnosed you properly?

Do you have any other diseases such as Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Parkinson's, Chronic Fatigue or Epstein Barr?

How old were you when your symptoms started?  How fast does it progress?  How old are you now?  

Do you have: severe pain; dizziness; near-syncopal episodes; low blood pressure?  If you have severe pain, where?  
Isn't is pathetic that these doctors seem to be so willing to prescribe DANGEROUS SSRI drugs rather than take the time to LISTEN and perhaps even try to figure out what is happening?  I have learned more reading these posts and have gotten insight and ideas in which direction to search for help.  Funny that they will prescribe even pain killers as well.  Let's just mask the symptoms and ignore the patient's documented signs and symptoms collected and written down over the years.  That would be too tiresome and time consuming to read and think about.  So much for medical school.  
Its been several years I've had this happenning..I get the popped vessles and it stings bad almost like getting bit by a fire ant. Bruising ..and on the fingers its usually at the joints/knuckles..although I have scleroderma..linear...morphea..juvinile scleroderma..and had my daughter in 07 and son in 09..lots of stress , so along with the scleroderma I have rheumatoid..andi feel the pregnancies progressed the condition..vision has changed to ..dunno if that is related but my arms ..the whole legth of them, go numb..I cut back on my red meats and noticed some relief
I've had popping blood vessels on my palms and fingers for years.  It happens sometimes, then doesn't for long periods of time.  I have Epstein-Barr, medicated low thyroid and digestive issues, which I've managed for nearly 40 years.  The best diagnoses I've had have came from Chinese medicine and Indian Ayurvedic medicine practitioners.  The bleeding is due to "spleen qi deficiency" according to Chinese medicine.  Here's a random link I just found that might be helpful:  http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/traditional-chinese-medicine-internal-organ-syndromes2.htm.  Also helpful is the book by Paul Pritchford called "Healing with Whole Foods".  In traditional Indian Ayurvedic medicine, excessive "vata" harms the blood vessels.  Consultation with an Ayurvedic doctor could be helpful.  Both medical systems consider the whole body and are complex and internally coherent, but very different from Western medicine.
Thank you.  I will look into it.  Glad you found help.
Wow, thanks to everyone for posting.

I was just sent home from the ER worried about clotting. After literally picking up a phone, I looked at my finger, it was bulged blue and painful.  Dr said the veins in the finger wouldn't effect larger veins or organs.   2 years ago I had a baby, and 6 months afterwards, had pains everywhere in my body, mostly in the legs.  THANKFULLY when I said "I have pains everywhere", my doctor tested me for just about everything - turned out to be ANA positive, and was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis possibly Lupus,   Turns out the months post pregnancy put you at risk for a flare - go figure now my 2nd baby is 4 months and here starts a new flare.

Like many of you, I have low blood pressure...Wondering also about hormones playing a part..
Your post probably put most at ease.  I know it did me.  Try take FOOD FORM vitamin C ---NOT the regular vit C which is ascorbic acid.  I found FOOD FORM  thru Wellness Support Network 888-580-9390.  They can explain to you why this is real food nutrients and why it is better than ascorbic acid.  

I also tested postive for ANA and have Lupus and now Rheumatoid Arthritis it seems as joints are starting to swell, deform and change.  Can you tell me anything else about your signs or symptoms and how long ago you first noticed them?  
Yesterday, I had what I assume will be my first popped vein in the finger episode (still bruised, somewhat tender and sore). Thought it was a spider bite. I noticed when trying to floss later, that this finger (pointer on left hand) is one that I wrap the floss around. Maybe not a good thing.

Like most of you, I've had Raynaud's for years (I'm 59, 119 lbs. 5' 4"). Since my 30's, I bruise very easily - and very dramatically. Lots of spider veins and some varicose veins in my legs and feet.

I also have low blood pressure (was very low when I was younger).

I've had migraines all my life. They seem to be triggered by hormonal changes, weather patterns, and eating too much salt.

I also have allergies (dust, pollen, dander, mold). I have had asthma all my life though it's not typically an issue.

As for connective tissue issues - I had the weird joint hype-rmobility thing until my 40's.

Always had heavy, heavy periods. Finally had a hysterectomy. Didn't get pregnant easily (I have 2 grown children), had one miscarriage.

According to all the medical stats - I'm healthy. And I lead a healthy life-style. But I don't usually feel that way. I'm tired and sore most days, wishing I had more energy.

After reading the posts I am wondering about a few things. I have been drinking coconut water lately, which seems to help with the migraines and makes me feel better in general (magnesium?). I have been drinking the pineapple/coconut water a lot this week - maybe bromain is a factor (as mentioned in an earlier post)?  

It seems that grapeseed extract is helping some of you. Would like to hear more about that. Am going to add that to my diet (which already includes lots of fruit and veggies).

So glad to have found this group. Glad to hear that some have long-lived relatives with the same phenomenon!!!

Going to join this group to see how everything comes together. Achenbach's - yes. But there's more I think.
Make that 'bromelain' not bromain. Sorry.
Tell me more about the coconut water.

I know that Bromalain (sp?) pills are supposed to help get dead or bad cells that lyse out of your system so have heard of the pineapple thing.  I take magnesium every day.  I am so sick and have so many problems that I never know if something I try is working or if a problem is "cycling."  The things I have learned here is that most people seem to believe they are helped by the grapeseed and Vit C (which I would get the FOODFORM vit C type) so it would probably not hurt to try those two things---and all have many things in common.  

Glad you found this forum too.  Hang in there.
Saw you take Levothyroxine for Thyroid. (T3) Have you been tested for T4?  Your body is supposed to convert the T3 to T4 but many people, like myself don't convert it. My regular Dr. didn't catch it for years then I went to an Endocrinologist and she put me on it.  My Aunt takes it also.
This has been happening to me on and off since I was in my early 20's or possibly late teens, I am 38 now.  I get the hard bumps like a BB or sometimes ruptured blood vessel that turns the whole finger swollen purple due to trapped blood after very light activity that shouldn't cause such things (same as others steering wheel grip, gardening, clapping etc.)  Both the bumps and broken blood vessels start with a pop/stinging sensation.  

I too have Raynauds, although never officially got the diagnosis, but do get greenish white fingers or toes.  I also have bad circulation (constantly colder than other people, esp. hands and feet). I have spider veins, PALE skin which shows every blood vessel.  I am overweight, but not obese, so don't think the weight has anything to do with this as most people are posting they are skinny and athletic. I've never had a hard or bad blood draw, don't think that is related either. Vitamin D deficient, now taking 50,000 per week for 3 months, and still not up yet. Hypothyroid, although currently on T3 & T4 replacements and levels are normal.  I have problems with blood sugar and PCOS related to Insulin Resistence issues.  Had fibromyalgia, but that seems to be better since addressing PCOS & IR with Metformin and less carbs/sugars. Reflux(Rx Prevacid twice a day) due to faulty valve. I also get dry swollen itchy feet that will occasionally burn in the middle of the night and need lotion immediately. I frequently get charlie horses.  Always had low end of normal blood pressure (my mom had low blood pressure)  Cholestrol is normal.  no rheumatoiud Arthritis, but possible osteoarthritis. Eat well. Some people have mentioned I may have Gluten Intolerance, so interesting it showed up here too.   No one I know of in the family has had strokes, brain hemmorage, etc., but I don't always get the best info from my family, at least no one has passed away from such. Also I am not PMS in cycle, I'm actually just pre-ovulatory, so also don't think that was relevant. Hope this helps.

If anyone figures this out, don't forget to post and give us all the answer!!!!  I know it is hard to figure out since it does seem to come in waves, mine will go months or even a year before recurring a couple times in short period. So, if you went without one for awhile how long would it take to assume it's not just a lull.  I will try Gluten-Free diet and increase Vitamin C, hopefully one of those suggestions are related?
"Charlie Horse" are cramps...you need to take enough magnesium every day--the way you figure it out is start with 200mg then gradually up the dose as high as you can, maybe 1,000 or 1,200mg ---if you get diareah it's too much; you don't want to get that because you will lose electrolytes.  Magnesium should stop your cramps.  I know a chemist who wrote a book Heart Healthy Magnesium--Dr. James Pierce--that's out of print now but he figured this out and NOW they use magnesium when people go into hospitals with chest pain because it can be a cramp in an artery feeding the heart.  Pierce was way ahead of the curve.  

Food Form Vit C is way different than regular.  Regular Vit  C is absorbic acid--- not as good. I noticed many people take grapeseed as well and say it helps.

It sounds like you have so many other things going on, as do I.  The above are the only things I can think of that might help you.
Do any of you suffer from easy bruising all over?
E.G. today whilst loading logs , i pinched my forearm quite painfully ; it immediately turned blue and swelled up to about 1inch/2 cms across. i put an icepack on it and it's going down now but i will have a colossal bruise. This has happened before , and i once broke a small vein in my wrist , which was spectacular and v scary.
I've had all the blood tests repeatedly -- all results normal , so blood vessel fragility is the cause. Doctors don't have an answer ( one told me to use moisturiser on my skin to strengthen the blood vessels!).
   Taking vit C , grapeseed extract , and fish oils. Much improved , but obviously not enough.

Thanks for all the comments.  It's nice to know I'm not alone.  I'm almost
70 and have suffered with the strange bursting blood vessels in my fingers and toes since somewhere in my 30's.  Whenever I mentioned it (like today at the doctor's office) I would usually get a blank stare of disbelief.  I'm
in general good health and have never smoked.  I do have Reynaud's
Syndrone (not Reynaud's disease).  This was semi-offically dianogsed many years ago when I was telling my doctor at that time about my symptoms. He recognized it right away because his wife suffered from it. to the point where they moved away from Michigan to a warmer climate.
My bursts come in bunches and sometimes I go for many months without
any.  I believe tho, it should not be confused with the bruising that frequently comes with aging, like on the backs of hands or arms from a little bump.  I think that's from our skin thinning. I get that now too, but it feels very different and is worse if you are taking meds, fish oil or eating something that thins your blood.    I think I'll try the grape seed mentioned.

Thanks again for all you comments.
I have this condition from time to time. I find an anti-inflammatory gel really helps with the pain. I am inclined to think it is Achenbach Syndrome, supposedly harmless but I am not sure anyone really knows. They also say that it is not very prevalent, but my bet is that it goes away so quickly that it is unreported.
It's Achenbach’s Syndrome, enjoy it, it's supposially rare, and you have been selected. I have it as well. I've had it for 40 + years, and don't know a cure but, stress may be a factor...
I'm 42, female, non-smoker, good health, work-out regularly.  Despite my issues I work full-time, never call out sick, work hard-play hard.  I'm NOT a head case. Issues with decaying teeth (and I go to the dentist every 3 months and never had a cavity until I was 19). Hair thinning started when I was 27.  7 dermatologist later I was told its just a bad gene. I don't buy it.  Dermatitis developed after that on face, ears, eyes brows - careful use of hydrocortisone works for this.  IBS issues for as long as I can remember.  General tiredness, joint pain and fatigue despite my activity and generally good diet.  EBV episode 3 yrs ago. Swelling of finger joints that come and go since the EBV dx.  I've had several tests including bone scan, tests for lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid which were all negative.  I requested a celiac panel which came back inconclusive.  CBC and other usual panels all normal except for a vitiamin D deficiency.  Rheumatologist dx Fibromyalgia and tendonitis of both elbows, foot, hands and carpal tunnel.  I recently went to an alternative medicine doctor who suggested treating me for "leaky gut".  I recently started good quality Fish Oil, Probiotic, Glutamine and Vitamin D.  The broken blood vessels in my hands is the latest and greatest phenomenon which brought me here.  The broken blood vessels started before the supplements, so there is no link there.  Something is going on, I'm convinced its an auto-immune problem.  Just not sure which one.  
Same exact problem here.  43 years old.  Every once in while I will get a sharp pain in my palm (padding just under the thumb) and you can see a raised up blue vein.  Followed by reddish brown bruising and tenderness for a few days after.  Now it happened on my pinky finger last night on the middle knuckel.  Blue painful vein popped up and now I have a reddish brown bruise.  I've been getting this in my palm pad for years.  Not too often, but I can say it goes all the way back to my teenage years.  
Hi i just had this happen on my wrist but its winter here and very cold so in my case it wasn't heat as the factor. Its a very weird thing to happen i was mostly concerned that it was a blood clot. But after waiting 2and a half hours to see a doctor i gave up. so I'm still alive so hopefully not a clot just a burst blood vessel or vein very glad to read its happened to others.
50 year old male, have had finger vessel popping for years. I take Mega Man, fish oil and 1 asprin daily. Non smoker for 7years, low blood pressure, Hypo Thyroid. Take the asprin for blood condition, common in Scandinavia, known as Factor 5. (Thick Blood Condition) my skin itches in cold weather conditions or if working with tools that vibrate my body.(ridding lawn mower)
I wonder if asprin, fish oil, all blood thinners, combined with Factor 5 condition, lessens or increases this finger vessel popping. Any thought?
I had this happen today.  It frightened me because it was painful and came about without an injury.  After searching the web, I believe that it is
paroxysmal finger hematoma or Achenbach’s syndrome.  If you "Google" it, you will see that it is a skin condition, not cardiovascular, and it is harmless.
Hi there,

I just saw your posting. I have been having this happen to me for the last 20 years. It was the same middle finger left hand, felt like a bee sting and then the vein would pop. It would happen about once every so many months.

I worked in back office for eye doctors and mentioned it to one of them when it happened. He said he would not be too concerned unless it starts happening more often and to other parts of the body. 2 years ago it started happening. I was breaking just by touching....the whole inside of my hand, my ankle, top of my foot...

I had also was losing circulation in my feet, then my blood pressure went pretty high for me...normai for me is 100/60.

I was sent to a cancer doctor, they took ever blood test they could and an MRI. Nothing was found. They said "You might have poor circulation". I asked why they are not referring me to a vein specialist, they said "because you have to have a major artery break in your head or heart and you are on the operating table before they would see you".

Hmmmm is this what we are waiting for?

I could not find anything at all on Google or anywhere else.

It was a fluke that a friend of mine told me to watch the videos on the 1998 Nobel Prize In Medicine. OMG this info got rid of all my syptoms and saved my life. I have never had another breakage ever.

I have since become an avocate to raise awareness about this problem that the doctors can not fix.

Please give me a call if I can help in anyway. My phone number is on this website www.NobelPrizeInMedicine.com and www.Ballas.MyProArgi9.net.

Don't wait til its too late. This is a serious issue.

Thanks,
Barbara
Could you be a bit more specific , please?
Just adding my stats here. I too have had this blood vessel popping thing in the fingers for years and no doctor has a clue what it is. I'm female, 50, on Armour and Synthroid since 1974, vitiligo, stomach inflammation and GERD for 10 yrs, fibromyalgia, suspected Sjogren's syndrome, swollen feet and bad circulation if I sit for more than 5 minutes, aches and stiffness all over, rheumatoid factor: 8.
OK, I googled Achenbach's syndrome and I am convinced this is what it is. There was also an article that mentions this is a harmless condition, most commonly occurs in women over 50 and also seems to occur along with gastrointestinal conditions. At least for me, this fits. I had a stomach ulcer which healed and now have frequent heartburn and stomach inflammation.  
Hi, I am a 53 year old nurse.  I have had this vein popping problem sporadically the last ten years or so.  i think it is worse when the weather is hot.  I have had mon-epstein barr in the past (during my last pregnancy 12 years ago) and was told at one time that i had a positive ANA factor which has never been a problem.  My sister has RA as did our paternal grandmother.  I find this symptom alarming as both parents and sister have a history of afib.  Mom and dad have high BP.  My own BP is borderline.
I was so glad to find this message board. I will do some research on Vitamin C and/or grapeseed extract.  Anyone have any fav vitamins to build vein strength?
Same here, popping veins in fingers and last week was the worse.  I bruised the middle finger on the side by grabbing something on Monday.  Then it happened again, though it was not a painful pop like normal, to my index finger.  A vein burst and the finger swelled up to twice it's normal size.  It is back to normal now, but the finger is now a lovely shade of brown/purple and slightly tender after 5 days.

I've also have found bruises on the sole of my left foot (no damage done), just a random bruising.  
Yes , i can recommend Vit C and grapeseed extract.; also  fish oils.
     I've been taking these for a couple of years now , and certainly my symptoms are 50% improved .( My previously very weak fingernails are also much stronger now , so something is definitely working ...)
How long does this last?  I am a 56 year old female in good shape and just had a blood vessel burst in my middle finger.  I yanked the garden hose hard which was stuck on something; a couple minutes later I noticed my finger hurt.  I had a small blood bruise on the palm side of my midddle finger just below the middle joint.  Throughout the day the bruising spread on the whole back side of the middle finger.  The next day it spread to the front side.  It has been about ten days now and I still have a painful bump where I first bruised the finger it is like a lump under the skin.  
Raynauds here too. I am 46, and have had these "vein bursts" occur in my fingers, since my mid-twentys.  last night for the first time I had 1 happen on the underside of my big toe. I was diagnosed with Raynauds about 10 years ago.  I had never considered that the two might be connected, but it does kinda make sense. I too, am worried about suffering an aneurysm or a stroke at some point in my future.
2 week ends in a row I have had a vein blow in the same spot on the bottom of my foot. It black & blued on the bottom & up between my big toes and next toe. On the next day it feels like I am walking on a marble & very painful. If it's like last week, it will hurt for several day before it goes away. I am a thin, controlled diabetic, low blood pressure &  low thyroid. I've had veins go in my fingers once in a while most of my life (I'm 63) as did my Mom. I also have migraines 24/7. Otherwise no other issues but those are enough! I do see my Dr. in a couple of weeks and will bring this up.
this is soooooo true....i agree
This has happened to me for the first time a week ago. I wasn't doing anything but sitting having a conversation with my daughter. I felt a tingle and sharp pain in my right thumb. It then swelled up and turned purple and sore. It went away within a few days but has been feeling sore periodically. Today it burst again but on the side. It's scary, just wondering what the heck is happening to me. I am 35, female, two kids, thin, try to eat well, don't smoke, moderate alcohol, great blood pressure, never take aspirin or any other meds. I have noticed a few things that have concerned me in the last year though. I lost 20 pounds for no apparent reason. I keep thinking did I really change my diet that much? I love learning about health and
ways to be the healthiest possible. Always researching the best foods and supplements. Have been eating as much organic as I can. Just cut back on dairy, eat chicken and very little red meat. Just days before the first burst I noticed that my right hand was feeling sore, like arthritis or something. I hope by sharing and following this thread we can figure this thing out.
What ever happened to your finger or did you ever find out what was going on.  I actually have a bb like bump under my skin right where my index finger bends.I felt pain and then noticed the bump.   It its sore to the touch.  I put ice on it and it is still there.  Think I am going to go out and buy a bottle of vit. c.  today.