WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
boils or ingrown hair?
by xmaggiex, Jun 07, 2006
Every once in awhile , I get these bumps, not really sure if they are boils but the doctor says they are ingrown hairs. They swell up and are very painful to touch. Since I started getting them, I've had one appear in my underarm, the rest either appear in my inner thigh or above my public line. I've even had two going on at once on each inner thigh. Hot compresses seem to help, but it hurts so much, I've tried topical creams and other liquids, each and every one leaves a nasty scar behind. Does anyone know for sure what they might be or what causes/prevents them?
Member Comments (58)
by Zoey05, Jun 07, 2006
That has happened to me once like 2 weeks ago!! I had no idea what it is either but i was  alittle embrassed to ask.....if someone knows please help.... did they ever pop and pus come out?? they hurt badly i know!! I had one near my pubic hair line, i thought they might have been ingrown hair but i have never had one like that either!
by xmaggiex, Jun 07, 2006
Hopefully yours don't come back, mine keep reappearing in different spots, not due to shaving because they appear anytime and not after sex either. Haven't noticed to see if I could "pop" one or not, was too painful!!!
by xmaggiex, Jun 07, 2006
This is what boils are:
At first, a painful red nodule appears on the skin. This grows bigger and then breaks down in the middle where the pus collects. The patient experiences a great deal of irritation and itching. There may be a single skin boil, or several boils in the same area or in different areas at or about the same time, or they may come in successive crops. The swelling may not be limited to one hair follicle but may extend to several follicles. When the skin boils ripen, they give out a discharge. Fever may sometimes accompany the boils.

Zoey, if yours is pussed filled, it seems like it's a boil, however, the symptoms seems somewhat the same as mine, however , I don't notice any puss,discharge or fevers it's just very hard and sore.

by Zoey05, Jun 07, 2006
Mine was very painful, when i would sit it would be touched by my legot my underwaer, I know it was super painful but iwas a little scared by it so I popped it (i know gross) but i did and pus came out, it relived me. mine started the same why. I almost thouht maybe it was a cyst.... did you think of that? i hope it isnt serious!
by xmaggiex, Jun 07, 2006
I did on search on the cyst and no, it doesn't seem to be one of those. The only thing I'm thinking is that it must be a boil because everything sounds remotely the same EXCEPT the puss/discharge part..!?!

If one appears again and it will sting ALOT, is to put a hot compress on it so the swelling goes down. Make sure the area is thoroughly clean with unscented soap like dove ( I find it the mildest)Unless you have any other ideas, good luck!
by bbird, Jun 07, 2006
You can buy something called Boil-ease (sp) at the drugstore.  Several people I work with have used this and it appeared to help.   Basically you need to keep the area moist.   Good luck.
by xmaggiex, Jun 07, 2006
Thanks bbird, will try it if it is available in Canada.!! :)
by Aruba417, Jun 07, 2006
I've had ingrown hairs where puss comes out, so it could easily still be an ingrown hair. It's nasty and pops like a zit, and you usually can see the hair somewhere in the mess, but not always.
by bbfroggy, Jun 07, 2006
I was wondering how long you did your sores last for? I think that I might have one of those also. I have symptoms that sound like those.