breast discharge
I am a 53 year old woman with a discharge in the right breast.  I noticed it during my monthly self-examination.  It is sticky and slightly dark.  I started menapause about 1 year ago and I am on premarine,  Could this be causing the discharge?  I had a benign tumor taken out of this breast nine years ago.  It was just blow the nipple on the outside.  The breast has a sore area underneath the nipple now.  I am also on 30 mgms. of morphine daily for degerating disc disease.  I am also on Lexapro for depression.  Please let me know if I should be concerned.  I have yearly mamograms and this has turned up since my last exam.

THank You
Go to thr Docs, you can never be too careful.
seriously, it sounds okay and i have heard of woman when the nipple is being stimulated, that discharge comes out. if you want to, post on the breast cancer forum. you will get a dr. opinion over there. you sound like you have a lot going on so i would venture a guess and say there is a factor in there that is causing this discharge. like the above poster said, see your dr. to be on the safe side. i am sure you can even give a call in to your dr, and let them know your symptoms over the phone. they may even be able to help you without coming in. breast cancer hotline in your phonebook is a great resource as well.
Hi. Please get a clinical breast exam by your dr ASAP for this discharge. Dark or clear discharge is not a normal fluid from the nipple while milky or yellowish is. A recent normal mammogram is not of much help in this circumstance due to the location of possible problems in the nipple/ductal system where very tiny areas can be missed by mammo. Also with the soreness in an area just below the nipple that may just indicate a mastitis (yes, inflammation in a non-nursing breast!)that would need attention with antibiotics.  Also there are other tests that can be done on the breast for nipple discharge such as a diagnostic galactogram or aspiration of the fluid for testing in a lab for abnormal cells (ductal lavage).  The bottom line, please call your Dr for their recommendations as to what to do. Never ignore discharge from the breast or painful lumps in the breast even in the light of a negative reading on a recent mammogram.  Do monthly self breast exams and know your breasts so that when something comes up you can go to your dr and tell them how it feels different.  And be persistant if you think something is not right.  A second opinion is never wrong to get if you are not sure of what you are being told.  Good luck!