WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
breastfeeding and sex drive
by banickle, Nov 16, 2005

I'm taking a class in reproductive endocrinology right now at college. We read a paper about a certain hormone (oxytocin) which is related to breastfeeding but also is related to orgasms and vaginal lubrication.

Being a class of largely college undergrads unexperienced in childbirth, we were wondering if when you are breastfeeding,

1) do you experience arousal from feeding your baby?
2) do you find you have an increased sex drive during the months while you're lactating/nursing?

Thanks for your help! It's in the name of (unofficial) research--future doctors in the class :o)
Member Comments (19)
by Still_AndiJ, Nov 16, 2005
Nope, quite the opposite. My sex drive was descreased while nursing and it is difficult to find arousal in something like that.

But, one of the great benefits to nursing immediately after delivery and during the firts week or so PP is that it produces uterine contractions that help to shrink the uterus. Many women are given Oxytocin after delivery to help accomplish this, but breastfeeding is an all natural way to do the same thing.

I cannot speak for all women who nurse or who have nursed, but I can tell you that breastfeeding was not arounsing in any sense of the word for me.

Good luck on your research.

Andi
by blondie72, Nov 16, 2005
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The only thing I think when my little guy nurses is OMG When will it end LOL!!!!!!!!!   No just kidding (kind of) I am getting frustrated because he is NOT eating much just nursing and he is 14 months old.  I would like to get a few things done and I cannot cuz he wants to constantly nurse still.   But no there is DEFINITELY no arousal at all to it.  I would imagine there are some women who may feel that way but I was NOT.  I hope your reasearch goes well for you.  Good luck and take care
by blondie72, Nov 16, 2005
I do NOT have an increased sex drive either from nursing.  As a matter of fact I think I want it less (like NEVER).  I am way too tired.   I feel bad for DH but what are ya gonna do LOL!!!!!  Again Good Luck.
by Still_AndiJ, Nov 16, 2005
I would have to say the women who are aroused by it would have to enjoy the pain thing,lol.
by banickle, Nov 16, 2005
Interesting--the study had presented an example of one woman who took oxytocin and she was very aroused by the entire process of breastfeeding and had a massive increase in sex drive.

But yours answers make more sense. Thanks!
by Still_AndiJ, Nov 17, 2005
Yeah, teeth are a major turn off: ) Honestly, I breastfed both of my boys, one for 14 months, one for 15 months and now I see my breasts as a means for nourishing babies and probably always will. They no longer have a sexual function to me.

Many moons ago, I remember a similar thing coming up (may have been on TV or something like that)and couldn't believe that it was possible for women to become aroused while nursing. Really, it can be quite painful in the beginning and when they get teeth...ouch!

But you can't take too much stock in one woman's experience for your study. You are off to a good start, keep looking around, I am sure there are plenty of women who would offer you their thoughts on it.

Good luck!
Andi
by JoAnnaRF, Nov 17, 2005
Engorgement, Contractions (as mentioned above), leaking, worrying if he/she is getting enough, worrying if the taco I had for lunch is gonna upset his/her little tummy, wondering how I'm gonna get the toilet cleaned with this baby attached to me, and now it's time to switch sides...
Sex? Oh yeah, that's how I got here in the first place.. LOL
No their was NO sexual stimulation whatsoever in all 5 of my babies nursing. Nurturing is the sense that takes over.
You can here the baby start to cry and voila, MILK! Nothing sexy about that..
by horse1, Nov 17, 2005
call me crazy, but i was aroused during breastfeeding.
by Learner1, Nov 17, 2005
A hormone called oxytocin gets much of the credit for forging the bond between a mother and her newborn. Some doctors even refer to it informally as "the cuddle hormone." Oxytocin levels jump during labour, and again each time a mother breastfeeds. But this same hormone also plays a role in sexual arousal.