brown discharge, is it my period? [please help]

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

hi, i'm 18 years old and sexually active. my partner and i ALWAYS use a condom and check in the end to make sure its ok. i'm supposed to get my period sometime this week. today i got a light brown discharge, i thought it would become my period as the day progressed. but hasn't. also, yesterday me and my partner had sex [with a condom]. what is it? is it my period? please help
brown discharge usually does not indicate a period. It could very possibly be implantation bleeding, however, as your using a condom every time it is unlikely. But still possible. If your actual period doesn't come I suggest a HPT. I'm not saying your pregnant, but it is possible.
Im actually going through the same thing right now.
Good luck,
let me know how it goes!
i really hope it's my period. i mean the condoms we've used have been perfectly fine after using them. also, the thing is, i recently got ortho tri cyclen lo, i was supposed to take my first pill the first sunday after my period or if it's on sunday that day. so i dont know if it's my period then i should take it today.. god i wish i just knew the answer! :(
I have been having that brown discharge now for a week!
If this is my period....it came 5-6 days late.
Still no real period....
Sounds as though you may need an hpt to ease your mind....of course it is possible
to get pregnant while using protection, it is highly unlikely.
Hoping you get your answers sooner than later.
Good Luck!
hey.this just happend to me this week..i was suppost to get my period on the 10th ..but it showed up on the 9th and up till yesterday i was still bleeding brown..i tested like 3 times all test negative..i went to see my ob and he told me that it could be just old blood from the previus month so i woudnt worry about it but just to make sure like everyone has said due take a test!!
good luck.
Chances are it is your period.  However, you should take a test to rule out pregnancy.
i have been having this problem too, and i've been googling this brown "discharge" and i've gotten some results of lichen disease? i haven't been having the symptoms but still, it scares me.
ive been getting regular periods, but this time im haveing dark brown spotting its light but ive had it before and i wasnt pregant, can i be this time if i can unprotected sex a week ago?
really confused as im trying to moniter my periods as i want to get pregnant. I bled for 1 day(4th september) then no blood on 5th september followed by brown discharge on the 6th and 7th and now light pink discharge today (8th). Know that brown discharge is normal but confused with lengths and the pink afterwards. Someone please help me understand whats going on.
i am on birthcontrol and sexually active. yesterday was the first time we didnt use a condom. My period usually starts today and instead i have light brown discharge. Could this be my period?
i been ttc for awhile now i got the brown discharge i need to know if i count these days as the beging of my period or wait till i bleed