brown spotting during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

brown spotting during pregnancy

I'm approx 9-10 weeks pregnant and things have been going good. Yesterday though I had some brown spotting in my underwear. It was kind of creamy looking and didn't exactly smell like blood. It smelled more awful than anything else. Since I have been to the bathroom many times and only once since has it been there. I am curious has this happened to anyone else? Should I worry? Also, I dont know if this means anything but I have been SERIOUSLY constipated and haven't moved my bowels in almost a week. any ideas what the brown spotting could be caused from and should I be concerned?? thanks so much!
It's very common to have spotting in pregnancy, especially early pregnancy.  I spotted at about 7 weeks.  I'm not 34 weeks.
If you are extremely worried call your dr to have an u/s to be sure but unless it's really red I don't think you have annything to worry about.
I had spotting of all kinds, pink, brown and bright red with tiny clots.  I'm now 23 weeks and everything is going well. It is very scary to see, but it does not always means something is wrong.  The important thing is that the amount does not increase and that you don't start to have cramping with it.  If it continues, then go ahead and call your OB/MW b/c they may want you to come in just to check it out.
thanks for the replies... I am not having any cramping which I know is a good thing. the only thing that scares me is that i had a m/c in 2004 then i gave birth to my son later that year. with the mc though i had no bleeding or cramping. i had an u/s and heard the hb and everything was normal but 3 days later i went back to my appt and i was given another u/s where there was no hb seen. i dont know what happened in that short time but something happened. i was only 8 weeks with that pregnancy they gave me a d n c.  but wit my son i had a perfect pregnancy, no spotting no NOTHING. i guess thats why i get scared with everything this time cause things went so well with my son. but no cramping and the blood is gone allready and yesterday it was only brownish blood, i guess that means dried up blood from somewhere?? i called my ob and they told me to take it easy and not to worry bc it not red and it is allready gone and i have no cramps with it. so that eases my mind ALOT. i just want everything to go well and i want this baby so bad and i want her ot be healthy and i am doing everything to make sure of that. thanks for the replies, keep us in your prayers please... thanks soooo much
So if you were me your basically saying you would not worry, right? Its hard not to worry or think about it bc its such a huge part of me and i love this baby so much and want her to be healthy. I really appreciate the advice from you both. Why would i be having brown old blood? I actually think all is going to be ok but like I said I just worry bc i guess thats natural. thanks
I just found out I'm pregnant about 3 weeks ago. Currently I have brown spotting, along with a little blood. I went to the hospital and they said they need to monitor by HCG's but also that I have a UTI. I'm worried because I don't know if this is something serious or not and because it's so early the doctor said she can't tell me much. Has this happened to anyone else????
i spotted at 14 weeks and panicked. a scan showed a completely normal baby and he is now 8 yrs. the doctors say it is easy to have an erosion on the cervix that can bleed a little during pregnancy. unless you are in awful pain and bleeding heavy you are ok. my sister had a rush of heavy bleading and lost some big clots at 10 weeks. katelin is now 10 yrs old. dont fret about it its all normal. people can have periods all through there pregnancys. after having an early miscarrage (miscarriage), let me tell you... YOU KNOW  without a shadow of a doubt what is happening and there is nothing that will stop it.
I had that same thing with both pregnancies!! Everything turned out fine. My boys were born at term and are healthy today.

Brown blood is old blood and I think it happens with the placenta takes over from the luteal cyst so a little breakthrough bleeding happens... anywhere from 9-12 weeks this is what happens... Honestly do not worry about m/c... My doc said most m/c happen before 8 weeks...

Brown is OK, and it happend to me, my sister, my mother and my aunt, a friend and my sister in law... ALL of us had babies and no one miscarried.

HAPPY PREGNANCY TO YOU.

Try the message boards at: www.fertilityfriend.com (they have a pregnancy site too and you can talk to many women about preg. and then the birth/baby... you name it!)
the blood hasn't been back so thats a plus and no cramping either. i have been resting with my feet up and basically being lazy, lol. anyways thanks to all of you for the replies, its alot of help to me. i'll let you all know more when i have my next appt but i'm sure all will be well. thanks all
Hello Everyone. This is my first time bein on here. Im 6weeks and 5 days pregnant. This morning i went to my doctor cause i wasnt feel well. When i got to my doctor i started to bleed red. She checked me and she said that my cervix is closed. I know thats a good sign. So i went to the athrasound and she said that the baby looks fine to her, the heart is beatin. Right now im doin ok, im not cramping right now. but i was a little earlier than it stop. i dont understand what is wrong. Right now the doctor doesnt know why im bleedin. but i guess i have to wait and find out when they know something. Does anyone know what wrong with me if they had this problem? im just worry i dont want to lose my baby, this will be my second child. my daughter is 2 years old now and everything went good with her when i was pregnant with her. thanks
I spotted at 5 weeks and am again spotting at 11 weeks.  I hate the feeling off seeing the brown on the tp!  I had an u/s on Tuesday and the baby looked great and had a hb of 169.  It still makes me so nervous!
Hi everyone, it seems as though most of us are experiencing the same symptoms! I have just found out i am 5 weeks pregnant. And have brown slight discharge when i go to the loo. I wouldnt say im experiencing cramps but my stomach does hurt intermittently through the day, it seems to tighten. Any ideas?
I am approximately 5 weeks pregnant and I too noticed brown on the TP last Tuesday.  I panicked when I saw it.  I called my doctor and she said that's normal.  But I am still nervous and worried.  This is our first child and I'm 32 years old.  Every pain I feel I keep imagining that I'm having a miscarriage.  I have this slight little tightening pain that comes and goes in my right groin area which is making me nervous.  I don't have cramps in my stomach but from time to time I get what it feels like premenstrual cramps but then goes away.  But it's the brown with the slight brownish discharge that is making me worried.  Any thoughts or info?
I am 8 weeks today and have been spotting brown for 5 days ... I went to the Dr the first day I noticed it and she said that I was fine. She took a swab and found that I have bacterial vaginosis which could be part of the cause. But mostly that it is normal to have brown spotting in early pregnancy. As long as it doesnt turn red and there is no abdominal pain, brown is ok. However, I hope it goes away soon, it worries me, even tho' they say its normal. I dont want to worry any more. I did have an u/s last Tues and everything looks good. A heartbeat of 136 and all appeared normal. My Dr. stated that between the weeks of 7-9 if you get a strong heartbeat like mine then your chance of miscarriage is 3% .... So I will do my best to not worry any more! And so should the rest of you! Its not good for mommy or baby!
I just read your posting and you sound exactly like me ... I feel the cramps and tightening in the right side of my groin too ...This is also my first pregnancy ... I am 8 weeks today.. Really I think this is all normal considering that miscarriages consist of red blood and a lot of pain. We should not worry its not healthy! You should be getting an u/s soon that will help settle your anxiety, a strong heartbeat considerably lowers the risk of a miscarriage ! Cheers!
It's a little reassuring when you know what you're going through seems to me more common than you think.  I've been spotting on and off for almost a week and a half.  I am now exactly 7 weeks and 1 day pregnant.  I had an ultrasound last Thursday and they said everything was fine.  I did however have bacterial vaginosis as well as a yeast infection.  This is my fourth pregnancy and beleive you me no matter what you hear or how many times you've been pregnant, any spotting scares you.  Fortunately I have had no cramping, so I guess I just need to sit back and hope for the best.
I also am 8 weeks pregnant and having the brown spotting on and off for about 2 weeks. It has seem to stop on its own, Today was the first doctor appointment and when he did the exam he said that there was some dark brown blood still inside of me. I have an ultrasound next Friday I hope everything goes well.. I am very scared that something is wrong... But for now I guess I will take it easy and relax until next Friday..
I'm about 5 wks pregnant. I have brown discharge everytime I wipe. I had a m/c in dec. I'm worry.
I found out very early that I was pregnant. My HCG level was 34 but now two weeks later its at 7000. I see my doc today and have an u/s.  I'm scared.
I had the same thing. I was pregnant in Dec of 2006 and miscarried in March of 2007. I was spotting brown starting the 6th week and continued till the misscarriage. They thought possibly UTI, which I did have but still miscarried anyway. The did u/s and took blood for the HCG Level and everything was fine with those. I had a silent miscarriage, where there was no boleeding, no cramping, or anything. I am now pregnant again and about 6weeks and having the brown spotting again. I am going to the er tomorrow to have all the same testing again to see if I am miscarring or its just normal. So to all of you experiancing the same thing.....dont let them tell you its normal, bcause that just may not be the case. Not all women and all pregancies go by the books. They are all different. Listen to you gut and go with it. Nine times out of ten you are right. Most women are intuned to theor bodies  Tell your dr and make them check you if you are not sure...thats what they are being paid to do. If not...get a doc that wants to make you feel confortable and that is willing to do what you want...not what they want to do just cause they are lazy.  Good Luck to you all!!!
I'm 6 weeks pregnant and have had brown spotting for 4 days. I was feeling quite hopeful after reading comments up untill I read you one. Don't you think it would be better to be hopeful up untill m/c if thats the outcome rather then be misserable untill you find out whether its m/c or not? I don't think your comment was appropriate.
I am 6 weeks pregnant and have had light brown spotting since I became pregnant.. It is only when I wipe however almost everyday sometimes up to 6 times a day when I go to the washroom. My HCG levels are right where they should be. The Dr says it is to early for a scan. My last 2 pregnancies ended in misscarriages before I was a month pregnant. I have a 4 1/2 son and had no problems with that pregnancy. I an really worried, Any thoughts or info?
I have been having the brown spotting myself.  I am around 8 wks pregnant.  My doctor told me it was fine as long as its brown.  They said it was from the baby implanting on a blood vessel.   The blood just takes a while to come out.  I hope they are right.  Maybe this  could also be the case with most of you.  I wish you all luck with your pregnancies.
I am 13 weeks pregnant, 39, with twins and was diagnosed with placenta previa. I woke up 6 days ago at around 5:00a.m to go to work and when I stood up there was a huge gush of bright red blood, but with no pain. Needless to say it was terrifying, and we went straight to the ER. We thought we were miscarrying the twins. After a series of ultrasounds (internal and external) I was diagnosed with a complete previa but both twins are doing fine so far! My high risk OB suggested that the previa may move in the next few months, however, twins complicates the issue and I will be closely monitored. I have been on bed rest for 6 days now and the bleeding is slowly stopping, however, I am told I must be prepared to experience further bleeding and go straight to the ER if severe symptoms occur again.

Right now I continue to spot brown blood with small clots...it's unnerving to say the least.  Has anyone experienced this?  How did things turn out?
hi, i noticed that this post was up and its weird bc its from last year (06) .. anyways when i was spotting with that pregnancy it did end up in mc.. i am again pregnant now 7wks and of coarse i'm so scared. this is my 4th pregnancy.. i have a 3 yr old son and i've had 2 mc... i just hope everything will be ok this time. when i was pregnant with my son i had placenta previa too, i bled here and there but it all ended fine. i stopped bleeding toward the end and the previa did move like you said.. good luck to you and i hope all is well with the twins. take care
hi im 7 weeks 5 days pregnant and i hav had some brown discharge when wiping after the toilet.
i also have had a miscarraige (miscarriage) before and cant help but be terrified of what the outcome will be.
i want this baby so badly,i dont think i could handle losing it.
The only thing to do is trust your doctor and hope for the best.  Rest, don't exert yourself, and think positive thoughts.  That's what Im, doing right now!
I have a UTI and that already scares me. Right now I am currently 3 months and a 1 week but now i'm noticing that I am having brown spots drop into the toilet before I use it, When I use the bathroom and when I look at the toilet paper. I'm scared because tis is my first pergnancy and at the same time I am very young so idk if that affects anything but that scares me. I have had an u/s in the beginning of March and everything was fine but now but now it's like everything is going on. I just need some advice because I'm scared. Plus when I look at it, it's creamy. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should do or if anyone knows what this is please let me know...
I am now 7 weeks and i too had the brown discharge i have had m/c in the past so every little thing scars me even gas my nasua went away along with my breast tenderness is this normal someone help please!!!
Well, I don't know if I'm pregnant yet b/c it's too soon to tell. However, I started spotting yesterday(3/27) which is a week before my actual period is supposed to start. I have nothing today except brown dischard on the tp. My cycles are very regular so I'm wondering if this could mean something or not. I called my doctor and she said to just keep an eye on it. I'm just wondering if anyone else have experienced this.
Me too, I am 13 weeks pregnant and have been spotting brown blood for the past two weeks. about two weeks i was leaking fluid, it was a little blood tinged but it was just watery fluid,alot. so i went to the er, they did ultra sounds, blod test, internal and exteral exms, and basically had no answer. They said that it could have been amniotic fluid, but they were not sure. i was told to just take it easy and prepare myself miscarge was possible. The next day i sen my doctor for an ultra sound and the twins were fine, since then i have still been bleeding, it looks like old brown blood but it has not gone away. I saw my doctor last week and again they said just keep and eye on it, let them know if it gets worse. well its not getting worse but its not easing up. everytime i wipe, there is the brown yuck. Will this ever stop.
HELP PLEASE.  I am 6 weeks 2 days pregnant, according to nurse practitioner who did sonogram today, which also showed an embryonic sac and a heart beat.  I have had brown blood in my underwear for five days.  The first day it was heavy and looked like a period (brownish red in color and filled my underwear and then soaked a tampon).  It's been 6 days since and I still have brown in my underwear every day except the day after the first day (for some reason, no blood that day).  This does NOT appear to be "spotting" that I've heard described by others:  it doesn't just appear on a tissue when I wipe or when I go to the bathroom; this is enough to fill a panty liner.  

I also lost my pregnancy symptoms completely after the first day of heavy bleeding and I now have mild cramping.  

I'm going in for an ultrasound next Thursday so I will know more then.  In the meantime, has anyone experienced THIS level of brown bleeding, loss of pregnancy symptoms, and had mild cramping --- and still had a healthy pregnancy and baby?

THANKS.  I know this is a very old string of comments...hoping someone is listening....
its better to consult ur doctor.....dont wait for others opinions
I started spotting at 4 weeks. It changed between dark brown blood and light brown. I was so nervous that I was going to miscarry. I just had my first ultrasound at 6 1/2 weeks. The doctor said that it was old blood. He said the fact that it was brown meant that nothing was "flowing" out. The baby looked great. Heartbeat was perfect and my Hcg and progesterone levels were where they should be. He found a small tear in my uterus, I believe. It was small and with no heavy lifting it should improve. But, he said that bleeding is never something they are okay with. I just don't want you guys to worry as much as I did. It could be something but maybe nothing major. I am going back in a  week for another appt. I could update if anyone was interested
Hello to all of you,

Okay I'm 6 weeks and one day as of yesterday...I went to see my doc due to the (brownish no red discharge) which the Dr. said was old blood from where ?? I don't know. He said that my baby's heart beat was low 110 bpm. That the spoting and low heart beat means I'm a threatened misscarry..I've never been in this spot before. I have one daughter who will be 9 yrs old this Dec 24th. All went well with her. He wants me to come back in a week for another US. I pray that the baby's heart beat picks up. The spotting started again today...with a bit light cramping..I don't know what to think or how to feel. Any advice. I read that at 6 weeks and 1 day 110 bmp os ok...my doc said other wise. Please advise???
i am pregnant with triplets, on November 12, I went to my ob to have an ultrasound i was 7 weeks and 5 days pregnant then, she did a vaginal ultrasound got my flue  shots and H1n1 shots aswell, at night around 8 pm i was about to got to sleep, I felt that something came out from me. I rushed to the washroom, and see a blood clot as big as half of my fist. and i continued to bleed. i didnt feel any pain, so i tried to call my ob but she didn't pick up so i just went streight to ER. while i was at the ER onther blood clot came out again and this time about 3 or four, They did pelvic exam, and they told me that my cervix are close. so probably the bleeding was due to the ultrasound i have in the morning. And he said, i am having triplets so my uterus is trying to stretch and trying to discharge old blood. they also found out that i have infection. they send me home at the same night, and told me to comeback if i see something like tissue from the clot just incase i will bleed again.the next day i went to my doctor. and she said. sometime bleeding is normal. specially i am having a triplets. but she already order me to have a bedrest for about 2 weeks. she also let me stay to the hospital for one night so my infection will be cured, and they could monitor my blood sugar and blood pressure. They did the ultrasound before i left the hospital. thank god she said they look all fine. hb are 163, 166, 173.  
Hi Guys, I'm 9 weeks pregnant on holiday in India.  I have a brownish  discharge and am vey worried.  This is my first preganancy - should I go to the hospital?  
I just found out I'm pregnant.....I'm 4weeks an 4days today! I have been having menstrual like cramps for about 3 weeks now and today I noticed I was having some light pink discharge when i wipe! Now its brown but its still there an I'm still having cramps but not horrible ones! I am very scared an dont want to lose this baby.......I have never been as happy in my life like I was the day I found out I was pregnant, if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!
i am seeing few spotting of brown/red on my light pads, i am 6 weeks 4days pregnant. i saw three times of spotting. my doctor said may be problems but we have to wait till week 8 to do the ultrasound to see ifs all the things ok. this might be a miscarriage?
I was wondering if anyone can help me or give me any advise? About a month ago I found out I had bacerial vaginosis. I recently switched birthcontrol pills the same day I found out i had the infection. I didnt start the new pack of pills until I finished my old pack about two weeks ago. Anyways, now Im bleeding or atleast I think its blood. Im having a dark brown to almost black color and it changes from light to heavy. Ever since I had this infection sex doesnt feel right except for the first week after taking the antibiotic. I took some diflucan that the doc prescribed me a long time ago thinking I may have a yeast infection and then thats when the dark blood or whatver started happening. Any ideas
Hi, Im 32 yrs old and normally have about a 40day menstrual cycle.  I was expecting my period this month on 1/13, but I got it on the 5th??  A week early?  Im never early..  Day 1 was light flow with mild cramping, Day 2 was Heavy flow and heavy cramps, Day 3 was medium flow no cramps, and Day 4 was light flow no cramps...  THEN just over a week later I started having migrains and nausea and on 1/22 I started spotting with this brownish mush and little bit of blood.  The whole day I felt extremely ILL, I noticed that everything that smelled made me feel so much worse.  I was at dinner, first off the restaurant smelled bad to me.  The food didnt taste normal to me, I went into the bathroom to be sick but nothing happened and I had to get out fast because the bathroom air freshener was waaaay too strong!  The next day nausea was bad and I was super tired, still brown mush but started to have light pink stuff too.  Then on 1/24 just clear pink when I wiped.  Today its still clear pink but not as noticable.  I went to the ob today they said negative for the pregnancy test and swabbed me to test for an infection, but I dont feel like I have an infection??  To be honest I feel like I am pregnant?  Im tired, dizzy, nauseas and mentally I feel kinda loopy??  My Husband and I are not using bc, he pulls out (no accidents for the last 14yrs).  We have a 6 and 2 yr old.  Is it possible that I could be pregnant considering my cycle and the negative preg test??  Please help!!
i am 8 weeks pregnant and 3 days ago i had some sppoting.only once was red then turned into brown....nothing on the underwear only on the TP when i go to the bathroom.
I went to the doctor the next day the sppoting started and they said the hearbeat is 156,so that was good and my hormones(HCG and PROGESTERONE) were also good.
But i still worry becouse before my daughter i had a mc and so i am afraid same thing will happen.
this is how my doctor explained it to me:
No bleeding is normal during pregnancy,the chances of mc in the first 12 weeks regulary are 8% for every woman,once you have had some bleeding the chances rise up to 20%,and he said if i make it to theese 2 weeks without any red ana heavy bleeding the chances will go down to 2%.
i hope it all works out good,we tried to get pregnant for 3 years so this is what i am afraid of.
thanks Biljana

I’m 17th week pregnant and having brown clots from last two days. Clots are not regular and occurring randomly. Went to Dr. yesterday and he did scan to check…lucking scan was OK and there is no sign of any internal bleeding. Placenta was OK with no sign of blood. Dr. said that it could be some old blood but I’m still worried. Please share your experiences.
Thanks in advance.
yes you can be pregnant even if your preg. test came back negative.
you should follow up with your dr. This happened to me, I had bleeding similiar to a period, but some how I knew it was different. So I went to the Dr. and he had me do a blood test which came back positive for the pregnancy hormone hcg.  It could be this or just an abnormal period but it's okay for you to go and get it checked out. If it's in the early stages the HCG level will be too low to be detected on a home preg. test so a blood test will definitely show any level of the HCG hormone, low or high.
I am 8 weeks and 5 days preg with my 1st baby, I had spotting when I wiped at 6 weeks and then again yesterday, I have had 3 ultrasounds since and the baby is growing and the HB looks normal, my dr asked me not to worry, but zI think that is the hardest part.. coming to terms that is OK to bleed while pregnant, I think they should make this fact more public, because when you go pee and see blood it is an awful feeling... I pray every day for my liitle one's health and sing to him "three little birds" by bob marley.. you know "Don't worry... about a thing...cuz every little thing.. is going to be alright..."
i just want everyone to know that if you are worried or feel that something is wrong then you need to see a doc.........i posted ?s on here on dec.14,2009 an sure enough i miscarried on dec. 17,2009 so please dont be afraid to talk to yo9ur doctors......im now 4 days late for my period an have had nothing but negative hpts but now im having bad cramps an brown discharge again an ive already made a doctors appointment for tuesday!!!!!!!!! wish me luck and good luck to all of you!
First of all, if you are spotting at all, see your doctor!  I am on my 4th pregnancy and this time I am going to make it.  During my previous three pregnancies, I spotted and they ended in miscarriage.  The spotting was red and got heavier, even with putting my feet up.  This pregnancy, I started spotting, red at first around 9 weeks.  I went to see doctor and i was told to put my feet up.  I did this, but the spotting continued, I went back in and they prescribed progesterone suppositories to help.  I was told this is because around 9-10 weeks, your ovary is no longer conrolling the pregnancy, the placenta is trying to take over and attach.  The progesterone helped and the bleeding finally stopped.  I am not 19 weeks and there hasn't been anymore spotting.  One sure sign is breast soreness, my previous 3 miscarriages, my breasts weren't very sore, but during this one, my breasts have been so sensitive and sore the whole time.  My only advice is not to give up!  I am 40 this year and went through 3 losses/surgeries and I am finally having a healthy baby!!!
hi to all who are trying to stay pregnant as much as me.

I'm 6w1day pregnant and today when I went to the bathroom, there was a little  blood in there and and also on TP,now I can even remember if it was red or brown, I had a little tingling in my tummy today almost all morning like a little cramping before your period, but it was nothing like when you actually have one.
I panicked cos I just had one miscarriage in Dec and had D&C and we have been trying for a baby for ove a year and a half.
Im just laying in the bed and googling all the possible info, I have talked to a nurse and she said to wait till monday to see how things are, so I hope and pray everything will be ok....
Happy Pregnancy to all of you out there...!
I'm sorry you are going through that tat.  Hang in here.  I have had 4 miscarriages and 4 DNCs, so I know exactly how you are feeling right now.  If you need to talk to someone you can email me.  Just keep your feet up and wait until you can get in to see your doctor.  I hope all goes well for  you...
I keep reading that it's normal to spot. I miscarried in Dec and had bright red blood that started one day and kept coming for 17 days. Now I am 8 wks and 3 days preg. Spotting started last weekend and was a fibrous dark red small solid the size of a dime or so. Then just faint tinges of pink on TP. Yesterday, dark red/brown blood and then a 1-1/2" stringy thick piece of mucus. Then today dark brown, almost black blood. I see the OB tomorrow, thank goodness. I hear it's normal then I hear it's NEVER normal. Not sure what to believe. Good luck to everyone. I hope we all have normal pregnancies!
Hello all I am 27 years old mother of 4. I have has 2 m.c one in may of last year and one in march of this year. So i just found out i am almost 7 weeks prego. 80) my husband and i have been wanting another baby for a few years now. Our baby is 8 years old. but i had some brown discharge only on tp and there was a little red blood with clear discharge. i thought i was just late a few days. but just took the test and  got a positive. i just scared. but i want to keep thinking positive. but i feel like this is all a dream and it will all come to an end again and break our hearts all over again.
I am 5 weeks 6 days pregnant.  I have been brown spotting off and on for 4 days.  Ive had a little pain and slight cramps but nothing major.  It does seem to be a little heavier when Im at work or moving around alot.  If im home on the couch, i dont cramp or spot very much at all.  I have reported this to my Dr. and she has kept a close watch on my hcg levels and progesterone levels.  At 4 weeks hcg was 110. 2 days later 347. And at 5 weeks 4 days 16,410.6.  My progesterone was 21.1. She said everything should be fine. I go in for an ultrasound on Tuesday. 5 days....   seems like forever!  My Dr. said she is not worried because my numbers are good and brown spotting is ok.  I still worry because I have had 1 ectopic and 1 miscarriage.  Then I found out I had a fibroid tumor in my uterus, endometriosis, and pcos.  My husband and I have really had a hard time getting pregnant this last time.  I had a surgery to remove the fibroid and a different surgery to remove the endometriosis and fix a tube.  I have been on 3 rounds of femara and hcg trigger shots....it finally worked the third round.  I am just hoping and praying that This little bun stays in the oven till done!
I am just over seven weeks pregnant. I have been experiencing more and more brown spotting. I called (cried to : ) my mother and she said that it is completely normal, that she has "a lot" of brown spotting with both me and my sister during her first trimester.

I can't help but feel extremely stressed out about it, especially since when I had an u/s at six weeks, I found out that I have five ovarian cysts (3 on one side=5cm and 2 on the other side=4cm). I have been having a lot of pain recently, and I have no clue if it is the cysts, normal pregnancy pains, or early miscarriage. Now with the spotting, I feel like the biggest pessimist on Earth. I don't want to will something bad to happen!

I keep trying to be positive, but again, today and yesterday...I just kind of feel better. My breasts don't really feel tender, I haven't been nauseous.

Has any of this happened to anyone else? Going to call the doctor on Monday, but would like a little piece of mind before that : )

Thanks for your input!
Thanks for all the posts about spotting.  It is reassuring to hear that it can be a normal occurrence.  My wife almost always looks at everything in a negative light and is constantly worried.

She had occasional brown spotting around weeks 6-8.  She's in week 11 now and just had some more brown spotting.  No serious bleeding or lower back aches.  She did have some cramping in week 7, but the ultrasounds in weeks 8 and 10 proved everything perfectly normal.  The Doctor says spotting can be normal as long as it’s not accompanied by cramps, lower back aches and heavier bleeding.

She had ultrasounds at her doctor's office at week 6, 8 and another is scheduled for week 12.  For reassurance, in week 10, we paid for a private ultrasound.  It was the best thing we could have done to help bridge the four week gap between weeks 8 and 12.

Seeing little arms and legs moving at week 10 was the most amazing moment of my life, and my fingers are crossed for more of those to come.

Good luck and best wishes.
hi, Im 12 weeks 4 days pregnant and I have large fibroids.  I have been fine so far and went for my 12 week u/s last Wed, heartbeat was fine and the sonographer said everything looks good.  However, Thursday I went to the loo and there was brown discharge when I wiped.  It happened again on Friday morning and over the weekend has also happened a couple of times.  I went to the Early Pregnancy Unit on Friday and they said they cannot scan me until next Thur as they will not do more than 1 u/s per week as it may be harmful.  Ive been to the loo again this morning and the discharge has increased and was quite gloopy.  I have been getting pain low in my abdomen and although I know fibroids can cause pain I am so worried about the baby.  Has anyone experienced similar?  Was everything OK?  I find this a bit embarrasing but the discharge is when I go for a number 2, never when I just have a wee.

I hope someone can reassure me.  

Kind Regards

I am 7 weeks and 5 days and for the last couple of days have expereienced some mild cramping, like menstural cramps. This did concern me seen as though I miscarried at 10 weeks over a year ago, then today I got a brownish discharge when I wiped, not a lot but quite goopy... now IM feeling scared. I want to know those of you that have posted way back in 2006 / 2007 with simular expereiences..... did your pregnancy turn out ok in the end... please do share!!!
In May of this year I had a miscarriage...bled heavy right from the start with lots of clots. I had ALOT of pain down my right thigh with that miscarriage. I am about 9 weeks pregnant again and have been experiencing brown spotting for about 3 weeks. It only happens when I got to the washroom and mostly when I strain for a BM. There have been about 4 isolated incidents where it was red blood. Twice dark red and twice a lighter pink color. I have had no pain whatsoever...other than the occasionaly sore back...I am still extremely worried. I go and see my Dr. next Monday and I am praying that everything is fine. I know it's not at all the same as my last miscarriage but I'm still so concerned. I still have really sore breasts and feel really tired throughout the day...which are the only symptoms I've ever had. Has anyone had a similar pregnancy which turned into having a healthy happy baby? Your thoughts and prayers are apprieciated!
I have had the exact same thing happening to me, this is the reason I am on here reading!  your post is identical to my situation.  I have had miscarriages and hoping this is 3rd times a charm for us.  I have had slight twinges and pressure in my uterus, this has been going on for a week now, started  out as pinkish to light brown to red a couple times, now its just thicker brown stuff.  I am thinking that this is going on too long now for this to be a miscarriage, and its normal.  the last 2 times I miscarried it happened in 2-3days of heavy cramping severe back pain and bleeding like a normal period.  Dont really have any advice, but wanted to let you know your not alone.
I haven't had much change to let you know. I did pass 2 quater size clots on 2 different days. I went to the Dr. today and she said that she has a good feeling I am still pregnant. For the most part it is still just brown spotting. I am waiting to hear when I go for an ultrasound...hopefully within the next week. I feel the same way...that if I were having a miscarriage I would have bled heavy by now. At one point today the Dr. thought she heard a heartbeat. She couldn't find it twice but said that it's still quite early to hear it. Waiting *****!! I'm keeping you in my thoughts...I hope to hear good news for both of us really soon.
Hi, I'm currently 11weeks pregnant, and this morning I have found I have a brownish discharge or blood, very light and no cramping I went into panic mode and went to the hospital, they found the babies heart beat and is healthy, they told me to just go home a rest for the next three days, and no sexual intercorse for the next three weeks, I also read that sexual intercorse can cause irritation or small rip which wouldn't gush blood, so I take it as everything is okay with my pregnancy though, I'm at home being lazy while my boyfriend treats me like a queen and waits on me hand and foot at the moment lol, my bleeding has gotton a lot less then it was this morning so I'm praying:) I love my baby and I can't wait to hold he or she. :)
hi iv had brown discharge 4 days now had a early scan i thort i was 8 weeks scan said fetus age 5 1/2 weeks also had strong healthy heart beat every thing appeared normal but she said i had slight bleed around the sack she didnt seem worried but im out of me mind with worry, please help!!!
today i lost the baby i think the hematoma dislodged the baby
Hey I am currently 13 weeks pregnant with twins and reading all of the post here has really helped to ease my mind of so much worry. I have suffered from two miscarriages and am hoping that the third time is a charm like most of you and since Ive been so blessed with two baby's theres alot more worry. After being ecstatic that Ive made it to my second trimester safely and finally spreading the news like wild fire and awoke to disturbing findings which is that I am having brown spotting off and on for the last week Ive rushed to the ER and heard those awful words of well its a "threatened abortion" all I can do is hope and pray their ok but from what Im reading it is quite normal just hope thats the case for me....
I am 10wks 2 days and I have been spotting brown thick discharge on and off for three days now. I am very worried as my Husband and I m/c'd 20weeks ago and we were already 12 weeks along. I think my nerves are just really high because of how close we are getting to the twelve week mark but It is still scary to see the brown on the t/p. Other than the brown and the nerves I'm feeling normal but I want to know if this can be a sign of a weak cervix? Does anyone out there know?
Just wanted to share my experience to you all I have been having light brown dishcarge now for over two weeks. I am 8 weeks pregnant at the moment I had a scan at just over 6 weeks and everything is fine and am due another scan next Wednesday so fingers crossed.  I had a problem free pregnancy last time so it was a bit of a shock for me and i panicked like anyone would and am now still constantly worried.  I am hoping that as its only brown and its been going on for a while that if it was a problem it would have shown by now.  You can never say wether each case is a problem or not some are fine but unfortunately some are not but fingers crossed to everyone experiencing some kind of bleeding that its all ok.  Also a friend of mine experienced brown bleeding on and off for the whole nine months and everything was fine so fingers crossed so is mine.
Just wanted to post a further comment on here I don't want to panic anyone but my brown discharge i mentioned above after 2 weeks turned into red blood which the hospital said can be quite normal and sent me home.  2 days later i was back in hospital bleeding more than i had ever seen before unfortunately the outcome was not good and i lost the baby.  They do say once you reach the 12 week mark the percentage for risk of miscarriage drastically reduces i was only 8 weeks. i hope for anyone who is worried that everything goes ok.
hello everyone im 24 weeks and 2 days which is really worrying me because everyone of these that i read they are all wayy earlier then how far i am, and i had light bleeding 2 days ago after sex. so i went to the doctors and the only doctors around here doesnt have OB doctors and they couldnt do an untra sound or anything but said the baby was fine, and i should make sure by going to the OB at the other hospital but i have no phone to make an appointment and since then ive had no cramping but light and dark brown discharge and its seriously worrying me cause i cant go to the doctors at least for a few days and i just really want to know if everything is okay with my first baby girl. please someone write back soon with more information i would appreciate it more then you know.
Just noticed your comment above a while ago about your bleeding at 24 weeks was just wondering how you got on. Hope everything was ok x
I am 8 weeks tomorrow and have had dark brown discharge for 5 days now. No severe cramping, however a dull ache that comes and goes. I don't bleed at night but everyday I discharge about a quarter sized amount of dark brown blood.....I hate waiting to find out what's going on...but my first appointment is  in 4 days....any positive encouragement for me?
Hi yesterday evening I had a very small anount of brownish blood but it has stopped now also have been having a tummyach . What does this mean I'm scared . Please help anyone  
Im 7weeks pregnant I ended up going too the ER this morning because I woke up went to the restroom when I went to wipe I had a brown discharge with a lil blood and lite cramping they did an ultrasound everything looked fine but im still a lil worried the good news that they told me is that im expecting twins has anyone been through this??
I am 4-5 weeks and i notice yesterday that that i have brown spotting, then i notice its gone dark i also have cramps. whats this then. some doctors say this is ok others noam not so sure!
im 7 weeks and 1 day pregnant and i started spotting on saturday, i was sent to hospital last night and i now have to go for a scan tomorrow. im so worried because my first and only fear when i first found out i was pregnant was misscarriage , and im so worried that is wat is happening right now. the doctor tells me it could be normal but i cant help but worry!! i really dont no what to make of the whole situation.
Hi , Uhmm Im 19 Weeks Pregnant & 5 Days . I Been Having Some Small Brown Spotting  On my Underwear , But I Never Had It Until The Doctor Checked Me In My Personal Area , Should I Worry ? & Also I Had My First Ultra Sound & He Couldnt See The Baby , But He Told Me That If I Been Needing To Go To The Restroom Then That May Be Causing Them Not To Be Able To See The Baby . Please Help .
Thank you a lot I begining to worry coz I also just saw a spots of blood but hav no cramping it happend earlier evn when I was 7 weeks and doc said everythings fine, now I am 13 weeks going to 14 by my 15 will be my appointment hoping to get my unborns gender.
Hey my name is courtney I'm 19 years old. I had sex last thursday and the guy did it with didn't wear condom and he cumed in me and when I go too the bathroom I look in my panties looks like dark brown or something its freak me out you think he could got me pregrnant
Hi - I am 11 weeks pregnant and last night i had a pinkish colour on the tissue - You could barely see it but i noticed it. Today i have some brown there now and i am worried sick. I have an appointment with my doctor today bu am so worried what they will say
i feel good with this answer.because im 2months pergnant an hv been spoting of all kind as well.i went to the doctor an he says its normal
i have conception 10days after my menstrual.. 3weeks later i have brownish discharge which i thought is my next menstrual but it has continued for 3days now and still no sign of red fresh blood.. only brown discharge.. am i pregnant?
hii, i m Deepika. i had some brown discharge in the morning, i m little bit worried as i m 12 wks pregnant. can anybody help me
Hi I'm 13 weeks and today I noticed brown discharge as well.  I went to the dr. did blood work and ultrasound I have a UTI and they said that is probably where the brown discharge is coming from.  Bloodwork and ultrasound were all fine.  Baby moving around a lot and good heartbeat.  Hope this helps.  Very worried as well I've had 2 m/c in the past and went through IVF with this pregnancy.  13 weeks is the furthest I've ever been.
The samething is happening to me
i m 6 weeks pragnant.yesterday i noticed that i have brown discharged and a small red piece in my urine. i make my ultrasound today i m worried about my baby.plz give me some suggession.
yeah its worrying to see discharge and pv spotting and clots during pregnancy,in most of cases it is not at all dangerous or worrying,but some serious conditions needs to be ruled out like the poosibility of ectopic pregnancy or molar pregnancy and early miscarriage so for this purpose i wiill advice you to have a tvs(trans vaginal scan) that will help you out.mean while till you get your date you shoukld have atleast one blood test of serum beta hcg.......regards Dr.fakhra
Hello I am 19 and my huband and I have had 4 mc I had my period on time but I have all thesigns of being prego ...i also had some strange white discharge and brown blood at the end of my period I wanted to know what you moms think I should do ive been carefull but we ate a little scared
I am 23 weeks pregnant and had some browny red discharge can anyone tell me if this is normal x

Hey guys I only just found out today that I am pregnant (from blood test) the doctor said I found out real early. As the HCG was only 45.  
I came back from the doctor and told my boyfiendim pregnant then went to the loo and there was light pink blood on the toilet paper.
I'm really scared as this never happened with my first child please help!
Is there something wrong??
hi my name is vanessa i am currently 2 months pregnate and i have been spotting and i have also been having brown discharge they told me they heard the heart beat but i do not know what to do i am very frightened because i have had a m/c before
I am only 16 n been having pregnacy systoms I would only be three weeks thought well my perido should have came last week I am 8 days late and today I went to the bathroom and had brownish/reddish discharge and wen I wipe n like a brownish colir a couple times and know its all gone? Can u please everyone I have asked has called me a hoe and makes joke I just really excited and scared.
Im 9 weeks pregnant, ten weeks in a few days.I've had brown spotting with occassional pinkish blood on and off for the last two weeks.I've also had dull/sharp cramps on and off ever since i founf out i was pregnant at 5weeks.
Im worried.Only shows when on the toilet paper and lately a little spot on underwear.Im getting worried and im going to go to the ER tonight.Has anyone had this before?I cramping on one side today, lower abdomin (abdomen) in two days and then on the other side the other day.Not everyday i have cramps.
Gosh this is making me so worried I know bleeding is not normal but there must be an explanation to old blood etc..
Happy pregnancy to all of you and i pray that we carry our babies full term.Never had a m/c before and this is my first pregnancy...
Honey, you really need to see a doctor. If you are pg then you could be high risk b/c of your age. Spotting is normal in the first few weeks, especially brown. Brown could be from the baby digging into the wall of your cervix. Brown means its old.
Its also very normal for your period to change at your age. Lots of things can cause it, newly active sexually, the enviroment, change in diet, or activity.
Hope everythings goes good for you. Good luck.
i'm 16 and 11 weeks pregnant. recently i had brown and pink in my underwear my sister said it was normal, but this is the second day and i'm still bleeding. is it normal to bleed for more than one day. i'm seeing a doctor today to maybe get any answer but i just need reassurance that other women had had this.
when i had my first drs visit the dr told me i was 5 wks.. three wks later i started bleeding, like if i started my pd, it stopped that same day, to just very light light spotting. then it went away and started with brownish.. I went to the hospital that day and they told me my cervix was closed and that all my blood work came out normal including hormone levels. They gave me bed rest. Then i had a drs apt yesterday, the day after i got out of the ER and the dr told me i was 6 weeks. so i was like what i came 3 wks ago an di was 5 and im bearly 6 now so i was like???? So then he did a vaginal u/s and said that the pregnancy wasnt normal bc there was no hearbeat and taht my sac was too big compared to what the baby looks.At the hospital they ddnt find a hb either so i was worried. Dr said right away you can wait or we can do the vacuum already. i was like whattttt. he ddidnt even do aby type of blood test or anything else just to make sure. he just fell into that conclusion. so i decided to wait. i feel my baby is there i feel it. but im going to get a second opinion from another dr in 3 days then well see. But im going to wait. theres been cases that they mislead you and they tdo the d/c so im kind of scared now. so what do u all think
I am 9 weeks pregnant and it is my first pregnancy. I went to the washroom yesterday and noticed a drop of pink blood on the toilet paper. I have my first gyn/obs appointment next Tuesday. Did this happen to anyone here? I am very worried and scared that it could lead to a miscarriage.  
I have had it for about five days now.the brown spotting..everywhere I read says not to worry...it hadn't increased and its not red or pink..I had a vaginal ultra sound and pap smear two days before all this started...do its def worrying me but i'm taking it easy..
I'm about 10wks...had a little red blood when I went to bathroom..(only when I wiped ) then it turned brown... since then I hadn't seen anything should I be worried..
I am 4 weeks pregnant and yesterday I had dark brown discharge with bleeding and long and I am wondering if I am having a miscarriage anyone tell me I'm worried  
I just had a miscariage back in april.. I just found out i was pregnant 2 wks ago..i have been off and on havin cramps ever sence.. im now havein a brownish discharge should i be worried
I am 7 weeks pregnant and for 2 weeks now I've had pinkish spotting and then it's turned into brown spotting...just today the spotting is no longer on my panty liner but when I wipe I see very light pinkish blood there. I have had a molar pregnancy before. No pain anywhere. A lil nausea here and there. I've been told that brown blood is an indication of a molar pregnancy. Or a lot of the times it can be normal such as in (old blood) anyone else had a molar pregnancy after the first molar pregnancy? I'll be seeing the doctor in 4 days. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
This is my first pregnancy and I'm 9 weeks pregnant. 5 days ago I started having a brown discharge. It kept varying from brownish pink to light brown. The doctor have me a shot that helps my blood cells to not attack the baby and put me on bed rest. But today iv been seeing actuall blood. I haven't had any cramping and not sure what this could be caused from. Any ideas????
I am also showing brown blood. But it's only when I wipe. None in the toilet and its barely on the t.p. I so have some cramping, but I'm also have 3 kids already 2 of them are 4 years old. So I can't just put my feet up. But I sympathize and also am scared I might miscarry . I'm on my fourth, I'm high risk because I have a cardio myopathy.
I am about 5-6 weeks pregnant and I just noticed a couple hours ago some brownish pinkish discharge on the toilet paper after I wiped. I just had a miscarriage march 19,2013 so its freaking me out. I just went to the hospotal 4 days ago and my cervix was closed. I have a 4 year old little boy and me and my husband want this baby so bad. I have no pain no cramps no nothing other than the little blood. I dont even bleed enough to get on my panties its only when I wipe. My mom works at a hospital and I sent her a picture of the toilet paper and she showed a nurse and she said I have nothing to worry about just to watch it and if it turns bright red or I get cramps to go the er immediately. I am currently waiting for my insurance to kick inso I can go to a ob...any suggestions?? I am very nervous but trying not to stress.