can a woman get preg if the sperm went in but fell out?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

THEY SIT DOWN TO HAVE SEX..THE SPERM GOES IN HER VAGINA BUT IT FALLS OUT.... BECAUSE  SHE DOES NOT LAY DOWN AFTER SEX.
CAN SHE STILL BE OR GET PREGANT THAT WAY?

please answer...thank you.
YES
I don't think that was rude or tacky. There's plenty of articles that the poster can read that will inform her about pregnancy and preventing it. She needs to be informed if she's sexually active. Although she might get this one question answered here, she definitely needs to educate herself.
I thought who was being helpful.  As far as original poster's question, the semen went in, and sperm was in it, and the semen came back out, but a bunch of the sperm probably swam upstream as fast as lightning (which it does) and so didn't "fall out" at all.  That is why YES is the answer.  Women trying to get pregs often think the "sperm" is draining out.  But it is largely the semen that drains out, and sperm don't even hear the rushing of the waters, they are too busy going up the canal to the egg.
Looking at things from another perspective, the poster could be asking in a way of getting pregnant? Just incase, I heard its better to be lyin down cos according to dr robert winston (lol) the cervix kinda 'jumps' and everytime it does that it goes in the sperm so he reckons it gives more chance for the sperm to get in therefore more chance to get pregnant. I doubt she was asking like that but just incase!

LOL I even saw somewhere that the author thought u should have ur legs up in the air!! The things people try eh!
Yes she can get pregnant if the sperm falls out for one reason only..SPERMS ARE THE BEST SWIMMERS lol and they get up there faster then you may think.
There are no stupid questions. It is amazing what myths are perpetuated. I had a friend who was trying to fall pregnant and was told that she would increase her chances if she stood on her head directly after sexual intercourse. I couldn't stop giggling at the image. I wonder if her husband found it funny too.

As to this question, it is very possible to fall pregnant even if you are in an upright position and most of the semen leaks out but others have answered that question correctly already. If this is what has happened in your case and you had sexual intercourse around the time of your ovulation (usually approximately midway between periods) then  you need to take a pregnancy test. There are home tests that can pick up pregnancy very early.  Good luck!
Please try to take some time to read about how babies are made, and how they are prevented.  It might save you some heartache down the road.
what do you mean "falls out"? like when you sre sitting on a toilet? but any way that sperm goes in vagina you can get pregnant (without any spermacide or condoms of course)

by the way who_is_this
that was kind of rude to say that. this is a forum for questions and answers- not tacky comments. no offense ;)
hey everyone I am the one who asked this question...I have alot of questions about sex and getting preg....I thank everyone who answered...I feel better about the situation.....

I also want to know if the female's hymen is not broken...and the penis and sperm goes in.. can she get preg?.....
The hymen has no bearing on getting pregnant.  

Except in rare cases, if a penis goes in then the hymen is broken.  If semen goes in, then pregnancy is possible.
i dont know if it is in tact or not...
i never had sex with him yet...
i just ask because i want to know...
Why do you ask in your original question as "they".  And, just out of curiosity, how old are you?

BTW--WHO was not being rude.  New folks will eventually notice the # of questions relating to "am I pg"  "can I get pg"..etc...and most of them are young women who need to educate themselves.

Bravo, WHO.
There are millions of sperms after an ejaculation.  It takes only ONE to get you pregnant.  Whether you are lying down, sitting or standing, ONE sperm that is all it takes.  Having still a "Hymen" will NOT keep you from getting pregnant.  There is a small opening for your monthly periods to come through.  One sperm will have NO problem entering through a Hymen.  

There have been stories out there where sperms managed to travel through a vagina from heavy petting without actually having intercourse.  But I'd say this is VERY rare.
Thanks.

I get tired of being the broken record.  Women have a responsibility to read the owners manual of the body they are born with, and to have a passing knowledge of male physiology, too.  

It's an absolute necessity.
i am 20 years old making 21.
age is not the point...the point is this was something on my mind and i really wanted to know...so i asked.
and i thank the ones that answered with respect....

my next question is...if a man has not had sex in a long time..in years.... when he finally does ....do alot of sperm come out or alil bit?
It does NOT matter if a lot of sperm comes out or just a little.  It takes only ONE sperm to get a woman pregnant.  

BTW, just because a man didn't have sex for a long time does not mean he will have less sperm.  Men do masturbate when not having sex.  Either way sperms will come out through ejaculation whether its from having sex with a partner or from masturbation.  Their sperm count will be the same.

As a footnote to my previous post you say you are almost 21 yrs old.  You seem VERY uninformed about sex and reproduction.  Are you for real?  Or just out to see what kind of responses you get.  Is this some kind of a game for you?  I cannot believe a 21 year old woman having so little knowledge about sex. Were you absent when sex ed was held at your school?  Are your 21 year old friends as much in the dark about sex as you are?  Did you ever read any books about birth control/reproduction and how easy you can get pregnant?

I'm just surprised that in the year of 2006 a 21 year old woman is so much in the dark about these issues.
well honestly barbarella...
i have a brother who died from hiv/aids...
but before he died...i made a promise to him and to myself to never have sex until i get married or find my special someone...well now i have found the man i will marry soon....so before i get into anything now i want to know...but before then... i just stayed focus on things teens are supposed to be focused on...like school...sports...etc...
I am 19. As a young woman, I am well educated in sexual matter, but only because my mother is a very open monided person and a nurse, who for years let me spend my after school days with her on the OB floor of the hospital. Unfortunately, to answer the more mature women's questions about our generation's information on the matter, no we are not well informed. We are required from what, third or fourth grade, to go to "family life" or whatever they call it in whatever state. In these three day 30 minute sessions we learn about periods, our anatomy, STDS and how to prevent them. There were only a very few of these classes in which I recall the male anatomy and how it works. Essentially, we learn the basics and that abstinence is the best answer.

Now, the little old ladies (sweet as can be) teach us what they are they to teach us and are, yes, willing to answer any questions we may have no matter how personal.BUT in elementary and middle school, girls are much too embarrased to ask a stranger in front of a group of their peer how much more sperm comes out after a long time, nor are we even thinking about that (although now a days who knows...). In high school, honestly, it's the same situation except even worse becuase we are too wrapped up in who's dating who to care. We end up learning through the grapevine. We talk to out friends instead of nurses.

Unfortunately as sexual encounters become more and more common in younger and younger boys/girls, the education situation only gets worse. I'm not trying to be rude, and I don't think I came across that way. Please try to understand that the girls on here are asking because they are scared and/or curious about things they never thought to ask before or are scared to ask anyone else.

Thank you for you time.
Hey honey i lost my virginity at 17 and didnt know alot about sex and sperm and how it really worked . i am 23 now an have two kids and am married so any Q's i can ask my DH. but there are books out there for you to read but its alot more reasuring to get the answers you seek from a real person so i say ask away there are so many women on here that are very smart and if we know anything we will try to help.
Well said, dear.  The only excellent sex-education class I ever got  was when I was a freshman in college, and it was something of an anomaly.  Nowdays it is even more rare, because the issue has been re-politicized in the era of more conservative/religious/abstinence-based approaches supported by many school boards.  The class I took probably wouldn't be allowed today.  And CERTAINLY nobody in a college freshman health class full of 100 kids would ask something like whether sitting in a chair and having the semen run out later would result in pregnancy.  (The closest thing I remember is a guy asking where the semen went after sex, and the professor said, "Women know where it goes," and didn't say more.  Big fat help.  And that was in a GOOD class.)

Ask away, younger women.  Posters on this forum are embarassed at very little, and will do our best to tell you our own experience, what our doctors have said, or what we have read.  Most of this will be useful information, and it can also lead you to sources to google or books to read.  

Good luck and God bless!
Your very welcome Knicknack. I meant to tell you earlier that I am very sorry to hear about what happened with your brother, but that I really respect your waiting. I wish I had. I don't regret what I did or who I did it with, but I wish I would have waited. kThat first person is someone who is with you for the rest of your life. You'll never forget them. Luckily, mine was someone whom I can still talk to and respect, despite my wrongdoings and our inability to acually STAY together after highschool. haha.. At seventeen we think we know everything...

Hopefully you'll never have to worry about that. You've already got a head start.
You say you don't want to get pregnant.  What about birth control? i.e. the pill, the shot, condoms etc.  Does your religion condemn any kind of birth control?
I agree that sex ed in certain schools is not taught well, but it also depends on the teacher.  I'm a little older than y'all are.  I saw the headline "Womens Health" and clicked on it and saw that most issues are discussed among young women and pregnancy.  Knickknack's headline caught my eye and I had to respond.  My first sex ed class in school was when I was about 12 and that was several yrs ago before the Internet.  Our teacher, a male, showed us a film about how the sperm travels to the ovulating egg etc.  The teacher told us it only takes "one sperm" he called this sperm "Steven the sperm", you could see on the film thousands/millions of other sperms wanting to get to this egg kind of like a magnet, but "Steven" as our teacher called the ONE sperm beat all the others to it.  A few yrs later we had a female teacher giving us sex ed, which was a joke and she sat there the whole time with her face as red as a beet. We hardly paid any attention but talked about her red face instead.

Now a days there is the Internet.  You can put any question in the Google search box and you get tons of links.  There are the "Discovery and Health" channels.  I say to knickknack and anybody who has these kind of questions just go to Google and type in your question and see all the tons of links you will get.  Faster than going to the library or the mall to lend/buy a book about it.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong asking questions on a message board as this one, but there are tons of info out there.

That is why I'm so surprised that now a days a 21 yr old woman with all the info out there as on the Internet, Health channels, books etc is so in the dark about sperm, pregnancy etc.

I also fault the mothers who do not talk to their daughters about sex and reproduction.  I was 10 yrs old (several decades ago) and I did not even know that it takes a man and a woman to have a baby.  I thought the baby just grew in a woman's stomach.  Here came my best girlfriend also 10 yrs old who broke it to me.  She told me everything about the penis going into the vagina, how wide your vagina will get when the baby comes out and she even told me about homosexual people.  All this info was to much for me to digest.  I went home and cried my eyes out, cried all night.  I looked at my 10 yr old vagina and freaked out of the thought that there will be a baby coming through one day.  My mother wanted to know why I was crying, I told her and in return she forbid me to be friends with this girl ever again.

I promised myself that I will NEVER put our daughter through something like that.  I started telling her all there is to know at a very young age in a way she will understand at her young age and not freak out like I did.
barberella I didn't say I didn't want a baby...
I said yes I DO want to have a baby with my soulmate.
You're right.  My mistake.  I misread.  Sorry!
lol..It's okay...
I just want to know now...everything I didn't want to know earlier BUT at the same time...I don't want to stress about it and have it on my mind 24/7..... this will be hard to do... but i will try my best....because ofcourse i want it to happen.
Like I said in one of my posts above "Google" has tons of links on that issue.  The link below is the first link I clicked on, there are tons of others.

www.babyhopes.com/articles/best-time.html

That does NOT mean you should not post questions on this message board its just some additional info if you care to know.
I also really recommend reading the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. It will have a lot of information for you, about how to and not to get pregnant. But also it has a lot of information about your cycle and how it works. Good Luck.
okay I will check out the books..but since I can't get to a library or store now.... I am just here asking what is on my mind...
I also want to know does everyone who have sex for the first time bleed?.... if it "sex"  is done slow and soft...does the girl still bleed? if so...for how long?....what amount?....

I do think its great that you are trying to find out information before you have sex.  However, at the risk of sounding extrememly old fashioned, please wait until you are married.  Having a child is a very, very strenuous, time consuming, life altering decision, and it is hard even for couples who are married and have tried for a long time.  
When you're not married, it adds a whole other layer to it.  I know there are women on here who have chosen to have babies with their partners while not being married, but please, for the sake of your own stability and confidence, please wait until you are married.  If you've waited this long, why not go ahead and wait until your wedding night to have sex?
to who and others
  i thought it sounded a little rude is all. no offense to any one.  some people just ask questions if they do not know the answer. sorry
I didn't bleed the first time I had sex, but I had been using tampons for a while.  There might have already been some stretching or otherwise of the hymen tissue from the tampons so it didn't do the classic "tearing" thing.
barbarella- You were very lucky to have someone willing to explain all of this to you at twelve. People grow up in different places, too, though. I'm in the bible belt, boarding VA and TN... it's a very difficult topic. And for the record, I was concerned about my BC and pregnancy, googled it and THIS is where I ended up. Yeah, there are other sites, but this is on the front page and it's easier to talk to real people than read medical facts on a page.

Knickknack- about sex. The first time I had sex, at seventeen, it hurt, but I didn't bleed b/c I had been using tampons. Don't get discouraged about the pain. I didn't make it even all the way the first time, I made him stop even though we were going soft and slow. Even if it's slowly going in, your vagina has never had anything that big (this is saying something for the man, here) in it and it will have to stretch before it stops hurting. Your man loves you, though, and will understand why you may not be able to get it all the way in the first time. Lubricant helps. :o)
cBeth I really thank u for understanding and helping others to understand.
I agree its easier to talk to "real" people then looking it up on a medical site.  I would not have come to medhelp.org message boards if I ONLY wanted to read the medical sites.  I only suggested it to knickknack where she can get additional info.  I check it all out, the sites, the message boards etc.  Mmessage boards to see if others went or are going through the same thing etc.

But if you log on to a message board you got to be prepared and ready to take the feedback.  And I don't mean taking insults from people, but you will encounter all kinds of people.  Some people will ask questions, are surprised about certain questions from the posters.  If posters are sensitive to that I suggest to also get info from medical sites which are all listed on "Google" as well as "Ask Jeeves"  I think that is the name I used to log on there before I logged on to Google.

Sometimes its good to hear what others have to say, but sometimes it can also scare the hell out of you.  Just because somebody had a very serious experience with an illness or with meds does not mean others will experience the same.  I would not let it upset me, but a good friend of mine got highly upset when she logged on a health message board and asked other posters if there are any on the board who have a "low white blood count" like she has .  The first response she got from a poster was "its leukemia".  She was devastated, called me and cried, couldn't get an appointment with her doc right away so she went to the ER and told what this poster told her.  She was devastated.  Of course the docs told her never to listen to people and let the doctors make the diagnosis. It turned out she had NO illness at all, and that her white blood count always has been a little on the low side, and still is, and was told by the docs that some people just have that or are born with it.

Had she logged on a medical site first before asking question on a message board she'd have read that a low white blood count could have MANY reasons, and leukemia is named along with tons of other possibilities.

I do want to have a baby....that's the point of me asking...
i really want to know....
which day is best for sex when trying to concieve (conceive)...?
is it the day exactly on ovaluation...or is it on the fertile days before? which works best?
id just like to add something to the earlier conversations if i am correct the reason for these forums are for us women no matter how young or old or how wide our knowledge is to ask questions that are concerning us no matter how silly or uneducated they may seem everyone needs to remember that we are all here to help each other and pass on our best knowledge of the quetions asked. we dont all have the confidence to ask friends or relatives or to get the books with the relevent info. its a great thing for young girls to go somewhere to ask the questions they need answered without the face to face embarrassment that they may feel i too am i young woman and i come here for these exact reasons i have questions i need to be answered and no matter how basic they are to other people to me they are important and they need to be answered just remember that we need to encourage young girls to ask any questions they need answers to to prevent un wanted pregnancy and consequences of any other type and to give what ever info. that may be of help all i ask is we all give the support we want in return and dont judge people on the basics of the questions were all here for the same reason we want help!

just concerned were not looking out for each other!
it is best to have sex the day of and the day after your ovulation if you havnt already got one get an ovulation test you can get them over the counter thay are really helpful and have all the info they help you to chart your cycles and tell you when your ovulating.
thanks for your kind words.... I agree...we should all help each other.......

i totally agree but you need to be 18 or older to post on medhelp.
i know i am and i think everyone else here is and thankyou for agreeing :)
hi i'm 23 years old and me and my husband r trying to have a baby but i feel like the spearm keeps coming out and it wont stay in does that mean i can't have a baby does some sperm stay inside me i'm really confused i just ened my period to and i'm leaving to go vist my mom on sunday we r trying but it feels like it's not working help!