can my period be late from taking antibiotics?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

So I have been on antibiotics for a week now, I started taking them last wednesday(a blue active pill day), and now I am on my week of inactive pills and usually on the 3rd pill, I get my period and my periods have been 28 day cycles for the last 4 months. The only thing that has changed is my medication. Could this have something to do with my period being a day late?(stil havent gotten it). Today is the last day of taking antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection.Is this common when taking multiple antibiotics/being sick? I read on a few websites but I wanted to check this one. Let me know what you know and what the reason could be. ALSO, I have not had sex since before I got sick. Because I know antibiotics make birth control less effective, and when Im sick I'd rather NOT have sex when I don't feel good, so that doesnt really have anything to do with it.I take my birth control everydayand never miss it. Ive been a day late before but I was supposed to get it yesterday and I still dont have it today. So could my period be late from taking antibiotics and being sick?
Since the only thing that has changed in your life recently has been being sick and on antibiotics, I would guess that is the reason for your being late. I glad to hear that you were smart enough to avoid sexual activity during this time ... since, as you said, antibiotics can affect the efficacy of birth control. Good for you! Just be patient and don't worry, your body will get back to normal before you know it! Take care ...
Sounds like you were smart since you say you did not have sex while sick.  Being ill can delay your period as can any sort of stress.  How many days before beginning antibiotics did you last have sex?  If you had it right before beginning the course and/or managed to ovulate due to the antibiotics within 3-5 days after having had sex, you could still have become pregnant.

Please be sure you use a condom for the next month since you were on antibiotics.  From what I've been studying in pharmacology this summer, that's about how long it can take after finishing a course of antibiotics before it doesn't affect the efficacy of birth control.
hi my period is 1week late, and everytime i have had sex we used a condom i was sick for about a wek n i was on antibiotics too. i even took a preg. test it was negative. i keep on eating sesame seeds but still havent got em im really worried i already have a one yr old i dont want another child now.