can soft spot on babys head get bigger?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

can soft spot on babys head get bigger?

i have a baby girl who is akmost a month old. last night i noticed that her soft spot was much larger that before. is it possible for this to happen? or maybe i just havent noticed it...
Do you mean it's bulging?
i dont know if they get larger, but my sister had an abnormally large soft spot at birth, which they believed to be linked to her birth defects, but maybe you just didnt notice? with my daughters insurence i have a 24 hour nurse line thats really helpful, they can tell you. the number is 1-800-391-2000, you may have to be a member (kern families) but maybe they can help.. good luck and congrats on the baby
I'm wondering the same as the first poster. Is it bigger or is it bulging? If it's bulging then you should take her in and get checked.
My son has hydrocephulus so we had to keep an extra eye on his soft spot and our Dr.s told us that when a baby is crying or more active it can bulge a little and can appear larger when they are calm. So that could be it too.
But if it appears to be really bulging, especialy when she is calm or sleeping then I would make an appointment and get it checked out.
I'm also wondering exactly what you mean by "bigger".  Bigger in diameter?  Bigger/deeper in depth?  Bigger/bulging?

I don't know what it means if it's bigger in diameter, other than your baby's head is growing faster than the soft spot is able to close...?  I can't remember if my son's got bigger in diameter or not.

If it's bigger/deeper in depth then this is a sign of dehydration.

If it's bigger like it's bulging, then I've heard it can be a sign of meningitis.

No matter what, you should definitely call the doctor and be seen.  Good luck!!!
her soft spot seems to have gotten bigger in diameter, not bulging or anything, just in diameter. my mother told me that they dont do that so i probably just havent noticed. but when i feed her im always rubbing her head, and ive never felt it before. i called the doctor and i have an appointment on the 16th to look at it. it just seems weird to me, since she was born she;s been to the doctors a lot. she had an ultra sound on her hips because of hip displatia? but came back alright. she's been seen for sever vomiting, and not being able to keep down her food, so we switched formula and she seems to be getting better. is she having these problems due to the fact that she was 4 weeks early and the fact i had complications while pregnant with her?
Avatar n tn
hi, i am komali, my baby age is 4 year now on her hair a small patch is there which was not filled with hair, and its from born itself , may i know y it was like that , at that place hair is not coming , and at the place normally skull is plained appear thats it ,,  can u tell wheather  any side affects will get  or not
Anabolic Activator Assessment
2 hrs ago by gymdandee
pb95 commented on photo
KTowne, pb95, and Des_a_rae commented on Des_a_rae's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals