can you get a yeast infection as a virgin?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I am in my teens, I am a virgin but I am scared that I may have a yeast infection. I ahve been itchy down there for a couple of days. I have but ice packs on and that seems to help. I dont know if its just because a cut from wiping when i went to the bathroom. PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU CAN GET A YEAST INFECTION AS A VIRGIN!!! I am really scared so I haven´t told my mom yet.

(I don´t want to worry her)

Absolutely!  Yeast infections have nothing to do with you being a virgin or not.  Even newborn babies get yeast infections, so don't worry.  Yeast likes moist, dark places, and all women, regardless if we are virgins, short, tall, skinny, fat, white, black, purple, all woman have moist, dark places.  A yeast infection is caused by Candida Albicans.  We all have it present in our vaginas in small amounts, but sometimes they grow like crazy, and that is when we get a yeast infection....again, nothing to do with your virginity.  

Sometimes, just leaving on a wet bathing suit or a wet pair of jeans will do it.  Being on antibiotics almost always does it because it messes with all the bacteria in our bodies - even the bacteria that keeps candida albicans down to a minimum.  Wearing panties that aren't cotton can even do it for some women.  Using certain soaps down there - especially the ones that are meant to keep women smelling good - can definitely cause a yeast infection.  There are just soooo many reasons that we get them.  Everyone's body is different, and we can be more sensitive than others.  

Besides a totally itchy area, you may notice that there is a clumpy, white nasty looking discharge.  If it is yellowish or brownish or greenish, more than likely you have a bacterial infection of the vagina.  Also, with a yeast infection, the smell that you will have there won't exactly be stinky....it will smell like bread or beer.  It's because of the yeast.  If you find that you are stinky down there, it is probably a different sort of infection.  

If it is a yeast infection, it's super easy to treat, although not always fun.  That cream can be nasty.  But, there is also a pill that the doctor can give you called Diflucan.  But that is totally up to the dr., and they make that choice based on factors that only they can decide on.  And even if it is a bacterial infection, it's easy to treat.  STD's are not as easy to treat, and many are not curable.  So good for you for being a virgin.  When you decide not to be any longer, please use protection.  

It is important that you go to the doctor, because a lot of times we think it is a yeast infection and treat it as such, but in the end, it was something else.  And yes, as a virgin, you can still get several different infections - even STD's if you are "playing" around with a guy and you have skin to skin contact without penetration.  So, at the end of the day, I think you should tell mom and then go to the dr. just to be safe.

Good luck to ya.  And feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions at all!
Yes, you can get a yeast infection as a virgin. Women often get a yeast infection, for example. after taking certain antibiotics,  which can disturb the normal healthy balance of the vagina.

However, it is also possible to get bacterial infections  (again while still being a virgin), not just yeast infections, so it is important to get it checked out to see what organism might be causing the problem and whether a medication might be needed to clear it up.

Please talk with your mom about the problem you are having, so that she can arrange for you to get help. And if it's difficult for you to to bring up the subject, you might print our your question and the answers you receive as a way of starting a discussion with her.

Best wishes...
Don't worry hun. You can get it being a virgin. It comes from tight clothes or by not washing new panties before you put them on. And also by wearing thongs. I hope this helps and its okay to tell your mom.
Hi, I am 15, I just went to be tonight and got itchy. I went to the bath room and bathed my down below and the next thing i know its HUGE! Swollen massive down on my Right Side Labia. I have been taken auntibicots for the absess (abscess) on my tooth over the last week. I told my mum straight away since its 01:13am in the morning she is going to book me at the Doctors tomorrow (: