can you tell if you're having a boy or girl?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

are there any indications as far as having a boy or a girl?  I've heard this from somewhere, but I don't know if it's true or not... that if you look pretty while pregnant then you are having a girl?

Any comments?
My great-granny told me that one. :)  The way to know if you are having a boy or girl is to have the cvs lab tech or amnio person say, "Oh, it's a boy (or girl)."  Good luck!
don't you have to wait about 4 months?  I am only about 5 weeks, so that means I have to wait... arrggg.. LOL
Oh, yep, you sure do have to wait.  Although cvs is between 10 and 12 weeks, they don't do it just if you are curious to know the sex, it is too dangerous to do for a frivolous reason.  Also, 3-D ultrasounds can show pretty clearly what's happening with the gender, but that's not usually for a while either.
YES - Have your baby.  This is really the only way to know 100% without a doubt :o) - Even u/s can be wrong.   Don't listen to all the old wives tales - I always heard it though that if you are pretty while pg then it is a boy cuz the baby girls take all your beauty for themselves LOL :o)
The only way to tell is u/s.. BUT.. with boys.. you tend to carry more in the front and only gain baby belly - girls tend to make you gain weight everywhere.. so you are wider with girls. This is just my experience.. Good Luck!
I Heard that girls lay low and the boys lay high..
Well, next time you go to the dr. and have an ultrasound, let them measure the heartbeat, over 140? Girl, under?...A little boy is on the way...I know that my first pregnancy, my baby's heartbeat was 168bpm, that's fast, and it was a girl.  Some nurses will actually predict it, ask what do they think, they see it all.
This has been the case with all 3 of my kids.. the boys.. just baby belly.. my daughter.. she packed on the pounds EVERYWHERE!
Hi everyone, thank you for your comments!  so far today, I can't tell yet, I am only 6 weeks pregnant!  Due in March 6th... I still have a long wayyyyyys to go.
I agree with Jen2006, my grans prediction was right for every grandchild.
when I asked her she said when it's a boy you you hardly gain weight and all you see is the bump.
If it is a girl your bum gets bigger and gain weight just above it on your hip too.
Hope this helps!
3D ultrasounds usually wont be done until after 24 or 28 weeks here.  You just have to wait.  I had my first u/s done at 24 weeks and by then the testicles have dropped so they were definately able to see something.  Im having a 3D u/s done also but probably in a few more weeks.  Best of luck.
I am 2 1/2 weeks pregnate and i am wondering what i am having but i cant tell becasue i need to go to the docs. i am an 18 year old girl that is very scared about having a kid i am not even out of school yet but thay was kind of my fault i guess i should of never layed in bed and spreded my legs but i did and my kid is gonig to have the best life ever.
You will have to wait until you are somewhere between 12 and 18 weeks to be able to determine the sex of your baby.  You should go to the doctor and get yourself on some pre-natal vitamins (to help your baby and your body).  Check out the pregnancy under 34 forum - there are a few girls your age who are having babies - they seem to be really supportive of each other.  I hope you have a great 8.5 months!!
when u carry low BOY carry high GIRL
when a baby boy doesnt like u like they used to BOY
when a baby girl doesnt like u like they used to GIRL
this is what i heard from MANY many people and i just was raised hearin this lol
I am 3 in a half months and hoping for a BOY!!!!!!!!! lol
there is no absolute guaranteed way to know until that baby is born. even an ultrasound is never 100%. my doctor will not confirm the sex of the baby even from the ultrasound.
I was wondering the same ? but i dnt even kno how many weeks i am cuz the doctor couldnt tell until i get an ultra sound....but im hoping its a boy!!!!!and to everyone whos expecting congrats and good luck!!!
Well I am 6 weeks pregnant, and this is my first baby. The biggest differences I have noticed are: my appetite has sky rocketed & I crave lots of meat & food that is filling. I have not eaten as much meat in my whole life as I have the past few weeks. Also, I get heartburn with everything I eat now. I am very thirsty, so I drink about 6 bottles of water a day. I have not had any weight gain, but I don't know how soon you gain weight, since this is my first baby. Does anyone have any suggestions from past experiences on what I'm having?? :) I'm just anxious, and I heard that if you crave meat, you're having a boy. But I heard heartburn is a girl. The twins gene does run in my family, and if it really does skip a generation, then I have the gene. Since I am feeling so many effects immediately from conception, I've had a lot of people tell me they wouldn't be surprised if I'm having twins. What is everybody's little 411 to help me out??? Thanks!!
theres no correlation between syptoms (symptoms) and sex. the symotoms your having are simply simply pregnancy symptoms. i did not crave meat. and head HORRIBLE heartburn.....i have a 7 month old boy!

they are simply pregnancy symptoms and later in pregnancy theres an old wives tale that says you have horrible heartburn if your baby has a lot of hair. my son has a load of hair.
huh, that's funny because i heard that wives tale too (i don't know where the whole girl & heartburn wives tale are related LOL) but i was born with a lot of hair & my husband was bald. i always wanted a baby with lots of hair, so i hopefully i get it!
i heard a wives tale too that when you hold a baby boy and he just screams and wants to get away your having girl, and vice versa, and if you are having a boy and your holding a baby girl and she just loves you than you are having a boy. I got like that with my first pregnancy, but i never found out what I was having cuz i didnt carry for very long. i might be in my third pregnancy now and it will be my first baby. I haven't been around any babies yet so I dont know what I am having. cuz really with my first pregnancy my niece came up to me and touched my tummy and said baby. I said yeah and she cuddled up to my stomach. I never told her there was a baby in my stomacha and niether did her mother and my niece was only 2 or 3 at the time
sorry got that mixed up.boys dont like woman pregnant with boys and girls dont like woman pregnant with girls. but babies love when woman are pregnant withthe opposite sex. what i heard and experienced
wow that is good to know! i have a little niece & i guess if she continues to love me when i start to show, i must be pregnant with a boy!

my heart goes out to you with the miscarriages! i don't know what i would do if i lost this baby. i am already so attached to it & i would die if i lost it. i really hope that this baby will stay through its' term & you will be able to deliver it healthy & strong!
We are on baby # 5 and as far as the wives tales and supersticions on how to tell if it is a girl or boy the only to be 100% sure is when the baby is born.  our first was a girl followed by 3 boys. i have had some interesting pregnancys but none of the wives tales worked for me. with my boys i craved sweets unlike what the wives tales said for a girl Sweets is what u will crave (not me) and for a boy Sour and Salty foods is what u will crave (not me). i was the oposite with every child. I will say that if you have a lot of heartburn your baby should have a head full of hair. all of mine did except my oldest son he was blad and i had no heartburn with him.  Also do not trust an U/S my best friend just gave birth to a 10 lb 7 oz baby boy that on the ultrasound was showing to be a girl!!! she had 3 ultrasound and they all said girl. so even the U/S are not correct 100% of the time. Hope this helps
the wives tells are not accurate. go with your gut feeling. and the only way to tell is an ultrasound. the myths are either concidence or just plain luck
HELP!!!! I am now about two and hafe months preg... my tummy is already huge!! my friend that is five months dosent even look near as prego as me... right befor i got prego i wighted 115... within the first month i gained ten pounds!!! but all the weight is in my tummy... its not fat but a big kinda hard ball.... could this be a sighns of twins, a boy or a girl??? Is it normal to look five months prego at two??? Or could i be farther along then i thought... cuse a few of my friends still got there period for a few month befor it stoped??
ALSO I CAN BARELY FINISH IN FOOD I START EAT FROM THE SMALLEST MEALS!!!
you and your friend are two totally different people. with two different body types. you are very skinny so that might be why your showing sooner. heavy people dont show as easily as skinny people. your friends did not get their periods while they were still pregnant. you dont get your period when your pregnant. they might have had bleeding but not their periods.

your two months you should have been to the doctors already and had an ultrasound
Hi, my name is April and im 15 1/2 weeks along. I have already had U/S's and all that and i dont find out what im having untill july 15th 09. I hope i have a boy and i thought i was gonna find out today but apparently not they didnt even do an U/S jus a heart beat thing and my babys heart beat was 120beats per min. And now im sooo wanting to know if there are any signs of having a boy or a girl, ill be happy with either one but i want a boy. I have a belly already kinda big but i was real skinny and small before, and i have already felt the flutters. Can anyone help without having to wait untill the U/S???
i am looking for some tricks to try on someone who is having a baby like with a paper clip!!

get a clear string tie a paperclip to it!

hold it over the belly:)

if it goes in a circle its a girl:D

if it goes up and down its a boy:D
im reading everyone comment and i dont kno what 2 believe.... my lil niece loves me and she wont let me out of her sight.... im jes going 2 wait until da baby is born and then i'll kno for sure.
Awww like i have a 9 month old daughter and my family felt that I was having a girl before i found out because my little brother was always under me and my lil sister stay away which was unusual because she my bookie bear and loved me so much.. My cousin right now is pregnant and she havin a boy and before we knew what it was we figure she was going to have a boy because my lil sister was always under her... They say opposites attract and babies no when another baby is coming... That might not work for eveerybody tought idk myabe its just my family but you do have to wait to know for sure.. Its also a saying my famly go by and thats if your belly is big and round your having a girl and if your small its a boy because girls usually are bigger than boys..
my baby heart beat is 144 and my stomach is kind of low.... can someone tell me what im having?
No. Neither of them are accurate in predicting. Nothing but birth is 100% accurate, but you can make some guesses. My babies heartbeat was 150 but then dropped to 130 which SHOULD (according to wives tales) have meant a boy. I'm also carrying low which SHOULD mean a boy as well. But it turns out to be a girl. Wait until your 20 week scan and they can give you an idea if the baby co-operates.
thanks!!!!
i read your comment.... what did you have when your lil niece loved you a boy or girl?
when i hold my husband nephew he just crys to get a way from me.. but when i hold my lilttle niece she just love me....
my sister was carrying low and she had a girl... my friend is now carrying high and she is having a boy..  my cousin she carried high the doctor told her at six months that she was having a girl, she had the baby shower and everything, but when the baby was born it was a surprise it was a boy she had to take all the girls cloths back to the store and  change them for boy cloths... LOL!!!
I just found out that I am pregnant three days ago. I threw up once, but feeling queezy, not really hungry and very sleepy. Is this normal so soon?
Yes. Some women get symptoms very fast while others take a few weeks to get them. Some never end up with them. By the time you show on a pregnancy test, you're normally at least 3-4 weeks pregnant. (Some find out sooner though) Just make sure you're eating at least 3 times a day, even if you have to force yourself and getting enough liquids so you don't dehydrate.
hi i see noone has been on her for a while but if you do seem to pop by then plz try and help, i have a 2 yr old son and when i was like 5months pregnant with him i was massive, now im 5 months with my 2nd and im tiny you cant even tell im pregnant has this happend to any of you? (and just to say that im not over or under weight i was size 10 before both pregnancies)
hi my name is nancy and at 13 weeks they told me it was a boy but i have gut feeling that they are wrong what should i do follo my instincts or just let it go!!!

i want to know what should i do iam desperate????
I am 21 weeks preg..went for U/S 2 weeks bek and my baby folded the legs..i soo desperately want to know as i want a boy .m carrying up,,left boob bigger and m supper ugly than normal..
heya all im 15 weeks pregnant and i dont evan look pregnant is tha a sign i culd be carryin a boi this is my second pregnancy and i was bigger wen i was carryin my 1st child and i was carryin a girl then i got my scan on the 6th ov january so ill find owt wot im havin bu im soo determined 2 know wo the signs of carryin a boy soo ny coments please jot dwn nice 1 xx
I am 23 weeks pregnant!
I know the only way to be 100% sure to what your having is by waiting till you give birth, but just the thought of getting any kind of hint is so exciting!

I'm carrying low which would normally mean your having a little girl, but I haven't had ANY weight gain other than my stomach getting bigger. Which means your having a boy.
I haven't broke out with achne (acne). In fact, My skin actually looks a lot prettier and a lot more healthier.
I also have NEVER had any morning sickness. Weird right? but if I dont eat as soon as I start getting hungry, I'll start to feel bad.
All men, except for men that I'm around all day everyday, aggrivate me. I also dont crave ANYTHING water. If I dont have something to drink at all times I literally feel like I'm going to go crazy :(
Someone please help with all this weirdness.
I'm on my 4th pregnancy and I have three boy. I was really hoping for a girl. This time around I was very very sick. I was not sick with any of my others. I'm also breaking out a lot. Well I went to my u/s and they said boy.. I was very shocked. I was so sure this time I was having a girl and not because I want one really bad but because this pregnancy has been so different. The whole heart burn this isn't true for me. My last son had a head of hair and I had no heart burn.. So im not sure what to believe. I guess i just have to pray that they are wrong. I really wanted to girl after three boys but if I do get a boy i will be happy
I carried like a girl for my first and had a beautiful boy but this time I am carrying high and wide but am all baby unlike last time where I was low and put weight every where.
I think you are having a BOY!!! The only old wive tale that was correct on me was the needle and thread....I had a boy and I gained all over....I ate everything in site and had morning sickness throughout the day "no vomitting" just felt like i would all day ...horrible...This time around, Im six weeks and still feel like I could throw up at times, but not as bad, My BACK KILLS ME, and Im constantly exhausted...I hope Im having a girl....my appitite had literally gone away around 4 weeks and now slowly coming back....SOOOO hope for girl...Baby Dust to you
I believe the only way to really tell is an ultrasound. With my son I gained weight like crazy and was a healthy eater. With my daughter I ate as I wanted and stayed small. I guess it depends on your body.
I'm about 7 wks pregnant with baby #2.  I want to know what we are having sooooo bad. I would love a little girl, although I think my husband wants another boy.....either way I dont care, as long as he/she is healthy!!!!!!

When I was pregnant with our son I had NO food cravings, NO heart burn ( and he came out with a head full of hair) NO nausea or vomiting.  I gained 55lbs with him.  I was all belly until the last 2 months and then it was all over!!!!! :(. I retained A LOT of water the last 2.5 months ( I had kankels) talk about NO FUN!!!!!

With this pregnancy so far I have craved a few things, my poor face has broke out like (connect the dots) and my breast are super sore.  

I know you can't tell until the baby is born what you are having, but can anyone give me some insight?????  MAYBE IT'S A GIRL?????  :D
ALSO. I am super tired all the time now..... I come home and take a nap everyday!  If I don't get to take a nap, I fall asleep around 8pm!!!!! Which I didn't have this problem when I was pregnant with my son!!!
iam pregnant  i think iam having a boy  because my stomach is low  and the baby  kicks alot
my sisters and i  dont believe in any of the wives tales stuff. il just wait till my baby is born in june jus as long as our babys are healthy n well,  thats the main thing. isnt it?
i am expecting a little one my due date is dec 29th. i am 8 weeks i have gained 4 pounds in the past 5 weeks. and i really want to know what i am having. i am 20 i am a little scared but i know i will be the best mother i can be. and i know my boyfriend will be the best father he can be.
Hi Im 10 weeks now,i have a doc app on 12 july 2012. Im just praying all is wel and this baby will be born prefect!  in 22 March 2012(i was 8 weeks)  i had a miscarriage, the developement stopped and my body just rejected the pregnancy. But i do have a 13year old daughter. I had her when i was 19. Now im 32. For her i had no craving, no vommitting, no heartburn. my tummy did explode though ...huge and it was right out there! my bum also got a bit big and my boobs (but it wasnt that sore).Katelyn was born with a mop of hair and she was 3.75kgs.She also used to kick alot and move alot. the doc thought it was a boy.  Lucky for me i have sweaty palms so my body didnt retain water. As soon as i gave birth ...the next week i was back to my normal weight. this pregnancy i eat alot, sweet or savoury. i have terrible heartburn, i feel like i want to vommit but i dont, i get headaches. my tummy is already poking out. So really i think the only way to know is u/s and probly much later in preg. or birth ...lol gud luck ladies!
it matters on the person who is carrying on how they carry. i have had 2 girls and carried very high and only in the belly. couldnt tell i was pregnant from behind. i listened to everyone a beleived i was haveing a boy with my first one. but it was a girl. and ive seen women carrying boys who got huge. so you cant go on that. nothing is going to give you a 100% answer till you see it on that ultra sound. i know the wait sticks but im doing it again myself and cant wait to find out. and my skin was diff with both of my girls.
100% BOY!!