cervical stenosis, cervix scarred shut

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

cervical stenosis, cervix scarred shut

has anyone been diagnosed with cervical stenosis?  I got it from having a cone biopsy 2 years ago.  I was on the depo shot so I wasn't getting any periods, but then i got severe abdominal pain and had to have surgery.  That's when they noticed my cervix was scarred shut.   It reclosed after the surgery 3 months ago.  I am seeing a new dr soon, but i am confused.  I haven't been able to evacuate menstrual fluid for the past two months.  Anyone have any info?
I am in the exact same situation.  It took a long time to figure out what was wrong with me.  I had a cone biopsy about 4 years ago and they just now realized in february that my cervix was closed and very very weak.  I had surgery and it also closed shut again three months later.  I went to the Dr. twice this summer to have my cervix dilated and it didn't work.  I have to have surgery again, but my doc said that my cervix can only handle about 2 more surgeries if i want to have kids.  I'm only 26 so I have a lot to think about.  
You should see a fertility specialist.  Even if you do not want to get pregnant, they have the most experience with this problem.  My specialist has been wonderful.
Good Luck
Hey There-I had a cone biopsy 10 years ago the DR. who preformed the procedure recently up and left all his patients.My new Dr. when doing a pap was having a hard time reaching there to get cells to send to the lab.I just went back for a second pap in the last 3 months and she dialated me and still was having a time of it.She said the cervix is scarred and if this go at it does not get any cells then we will try it when I am having my monthly.If that does not work then we will try another road.I am shocked that all the while I thought the DR. was doing a complete pap he was never getting cells from my cervix.Thats for 10 years now.My question here has anyone run into this problem after a cone biopsy??? Thanks
Last year I had two colposcopys and this year, two cone procedures.  The specialist that did the second cold knife procedure missed that I had developed scarring and my cervix healed almost completely shut.  I ended up at the ER due to the pain from my menstrual cycle.  (NOTE: Pain during my cycles (including minor cramping) had never been a factor before).  Anyway, I then went back to my regular OB/GYN.  (The specialist was not helping with the pain.  He just said, in his 19yrs of experience, every woman was different.  Great NON answer as to why I was having pain that wasn't there before).  When my normal OB/GYN examined me, she couldn't get a rod like tool that was about 1mm in diameter through the opening without high resistance and my screaming “please stop”.  So, I am going through cervical dilation now. Toradal (helps stop uterine contractions) and Percocet help with the highly uncomfortable (lower pain level for me) sensasation during the dilation, and afterwards.  My Dr is using a thin catheder (maybe 2 mm in diameter) to help keep the opening open between dilations and help make sure the menstrual blood drains.  (NOTE: making sure your uterus can drain properly is very important.  If left unchecked, it could cause infection or lead to developing endodemetriosis. sp? - see google for medical articles and talk with your attending Dr.).  I've been told (and read) usually 5-6 dilation sessions are needed. I'm hopeful because I did the third one today, and even though I have slight curves to the "cervical channel" which makes this a little more difficult, she was able to pass a guide for the catheter through with very little resistance (from the slight curves) that was at least 4mm diameter.  She has been working with the ultrasound tech during my procedure to make sure she doesn't puncture the cervix and or uterus in her efforts.
Good luck!
I had a cone biopsy and a leep incision when I was 19.  I had half of my cervix removed.  23 months later I had severe pains in my stomach.  Further investigation found I had fluid in my uterus. I was booked into have a D&C.  On waking up from the surgery I was told that the surgery (D&C) had not been preformed as I had no cervix.  The surgeon who preformed my leep incision had removed so much of my cervix that my cervix had closed up.  The fluid in my uterus was my monthly menstral cycle.  I had been bleeding into my uterus for over 23 months.  I was previously told my reason for having no periods was because I had been on the depo injection and it could take a long time for it to come out of my system.  I was given the contraceptive pill and told to take it and hopefully it will create a false period and over time expell all the fluid in my uterus.  It did work after about 6 months.  I still have stenosis of the cervix, I had to have fertility drugs to concieve (conceive) my little girl (I had previously lost 2 pregnancies)  It was a constant worry throughout my pregnancy if I could give birth or if my cervix would hold out. I am now 30. My daughter is nearly 2.  I had her naturally and without complications. Ladies my advise to you would be to question everything. Dont for one minute let the doctors have the power they are not God.  They do make mistakes.  You are entitled to another opinion, you can change your doctor or consultant anytime. Write down all the questions you want to ask dont be afraid to get your list out. We all know through our nerves and stress our minds go blank.  If need be take someone in with you. I had a terrible time over the years but I got there and so can you.  Dont give up those of you who are worried about concieving it will happen.  I know! Lisa. x
This all sounds so familar to me. I have two children 11 and 8. I am 29 years old. I have been having problems for several years now all after having my cervix froze I believe. My doctor is not giving me the answers that I need and I am finding out that he is also not telling me everything. I started depo 7 years ago and have not had a period since. After the abnormal pap 2 years ago and freezing of the cervix. My cervix closed and I had to go in and have it dilated.and reopened. He said nothing about there being any complications after that. I decided to come off the depo thinking that the closure was because I had not had a period in so long I was also having problems with my horomones being out of wack. I had also had a couple ovarain cyst. I started the Mirena IUD a year ago and have had nothing but problems since. Constain pain. I had a chocolate cyst that the doctors were watching for 6 months. I started having pain during intercourse and at random times. I had the IUD removed and bleed off and on for two week. I went in for a follow up ultrasound last week and the cyst was gone. But now he says I have fluid in my uterus and I am full of calcifications. I ahve pain in my abdomen. lower back and feel bloated. They want to do a DNC next week but I scared that this is only a temp fix. I am worried that he will find more problems or something serious once he goes in. They think they might find an infection once they fo in. They saif they dont know if the fluid is mucus, blood, or what. They suggested they I go ahead and tie my tubes while I am there which I was not quite ready for and if there is an infection couldnt that cause more problems. If anyone can help me I apprecite it thanks.

Worried sick.
Tab
It is so nice to hear all of this and know I am not alone. I was just today diagnosed with stenosis of the cervix. I had a cone biopsy 7 months ago and the fluid has built up so heavily in my uterus that its backed up into my ovaries and caused endemitriosis. I am scheduled for surgery in a few weeks and hope that it will give some relief to the pain I've been experiencing every month. The doctors all said I had Pelvic Inflammatory Disease because of the severe pelvic pain and even though I questioned them I didn't get any answers until I saw the right gynecologist. To others that are newly diagnosed, good luck.
I recently had a saline sonogram done. The HSG was ordered first but that doctor couldn't not access my cervix because it was too "hard".  The doctor that performed the saline sonogram had a very hard time. He said when he first looked at my cervix that the opening was equal to a pinhead and that he was going to have to work at it.  And BOY did he ever work at it. I was in a great deal of pain... and just as he began to talk about sending me to the hospital to have it done POP... he made way. He was able to insert the catherer after all that. My question is will my cervix remain open or will it close again?  I believe it got that way after having my cervix frozen twice due to an abnormal pap.
Nice to read up about others who have had this. I had a LLETZ done in March 07 and when my periods became continuous and the pain unbearable my gyno told me "That is normal as you get older". Eventually I started having horrid symtoms (symptoms) and went to my GP. He immediately shipped me off to get an ultrasound and I had a nearly closed cervix and I had a haemometra in my womb that had been forming nearly two years since the operation. Last October I had a hysteroscopy, the blood removed and a catheter for a day. This didn't work and I totally stenosed and just before Christmas and over  Jan/Feb I had 3 lots of dilation. For 5 weeks this looked good, but as soon as I tried to have a period, nothing. So this friday I am in again for another hysteroscopy and removal of blood, and they will then leave the catheter in until Sunday. I worry, as online research of catheter stent for use with stenosis shows that you need at least two weeks for it to work, so wonder if I'm wasting my time. I questioned my doctor about it previously, and he said what is the point of doing too much when less works, but I'm not sure less is better in this case :( I will take in the documentation with me and ask him about it, but do wonder if at 27, I will ever have a normal period again, or the ability to have children...
OMG im so glad I'm not alone..I had severe dysplasia and had a cone biopsy  that removed a large section of my cervix (sept 08). I'm going back in today for my 5th dilation since (Jan 09). . My doctor tells me, my cervix is mutilated and this will be something I will have to continue doing... after much discussion we have agreed for me to have a partial hysterectomy, since I all ready have 2 children and have my tubes tied. The pain I have been going through each month is almost unbearable and with my tubes being tied  my menstrual cycle just sits there til i get dilated again... I cant wait till my surgery because this is not something I can live with! I hope you all find an answer that works for you! xoxo
I myself have stenosis and have had it since I was 19, I am now 33. Never heard of dilation. I have however had my cervix lasered twice. Had my son in 2002. Cervix closed, lasered in 2003. Had a stillborn birth in 2007, lasered in feb. 2008, had my daughter in Dec. 2008 now need it done again. Had my tubes tied after her so won't be having anymore babies unfortunatley. However I also had 7 pregnancies in total 4 miscarriages, 3 babies. After every pregnancy my cervix would close and I would have it lasered. This should be the last time I get it done because I am not having anymore children, therefore my cervix has no reason to close. All my children were C-sections because my cervix would not dilate. Sometimes I think I should have just had a hysterectomey! Anyways I don't know where any of you ladies are from, but I live in Canada and have never heard of dilation and I have been dealing with stenosis for 14 years. Talk to your doctors about having your cervix lasered it worked for me.
hi i couldnt deliver my baby boy naturally last december because my cervix was scarred adn i wouldnt dilate. we believe it was scarred from the cervical suture i had put in in august last year to stop my son coming early like my daughter did. my drs havent mentioned ths condition to me but i think this sounds like wat it is. i am currently pregnant with #3 so will have to wait and see wat they say.
Hi everyone, I went in for a endometrial oblation (ablation) in may 2008 and it worked as far as i was concerned. In August i started feeling and being sick aswell as fatigue, by Christmas i was having severe pain in my sides and top of the legs plus i started lightly bleeding and spotiing. Now We're in September and in the last four weeks i have had maybe 5 days were i was feeling normal. They said i had multiple ovarian cysts, when i questioned about all the symptoms i was told to go in for a endometrial biopsy, OMG i have never before had pain like it!!!! The doctor found that my cervix was closed and didn't know why, we figure it's from the oblation (ablation) so i now have to be put to sleep for a DNC. I have asked for a hysterectomy as i am forty yrs old, had a tubal and don't need any of it anymore.
i gave birth to my first child in april 08, had postpartem hemm 2 weeks later and a D&C to remove retained placenta. When my daughter was about 8 months old started getting strong abdominal pains, doctor said maybe body trying to ovulate so i let it go until july 09 when i could no longer handle pain. Ultrasound showed i had cervical stenosis and my monthly flow was unable to escape( i breastfeed until about may so just assumed my period would not return until i had stopped) Had surgury in august and have been getting my period regular since but unsuccessful at conceiving for the last six months.
Not sure if i should be worried yet?
don't think this has caused endometreis for me but not sure if there could be other issues there caused by cervical stenosis?
Anyone been in this situation?
I had a cone biopsy,  about four years ago. About 2 and a half years ago, out of the blue  I had the most painful period pain you could imagine.  For several hours  I was layed out on the floor with pain.  Painkillers didnt even touch it.  The only thing that stopped me from going to the ER  was that I felt too sick to get there.  It makes me so angry when you google 'period pain', and there are suggestions to 'get a hot water bottle' or ' take some exercise'.  I am talking layed out on the floor, vomiting, and unable to move for cramps, a type of period pain like no other.  Nots something a hot water bottle is going to cure!!  Any way, I have been going for regular colposcopy exams,  and  the nurse who undertakes these says that she thinks my problem is cervical stenosis.  I have episodes of pain like this, have been to see her, she has tried to widen the cervix openning,  which usually results in a few months with no symptons.  However,  I was dialated in Jan this year ,  had a normal period in January,  but then seemed to miss my period in February.  However,  end Feb  I had major problems again  with perhaps the worse symptoms I have ever had.  I always seen to follow a similar pattern.  My period starts and I might have a couple of hours of light bleeding (often the period itself is very late)  then, I stop bleeding and this is followed by five or six hours of horrendous cramps,  but with no bleeding at all.  Eventually the sever cramps subside, but I have a few more hours of feelings extremely  uncomfortable and bloated,  like I have a full bladder (but I havent).  Eventually,  the discomfort goes, and I start to bleed.  Usually the period itself is fairly light and short lived.
I went to see my nurse again today.  She described that the opening to my cervix was 'pin hole'  size.  So once again she dialated me, and my period seemed to start again instantly.  She has said if it keeps happening I will need to come in for surgery.    My GP has been absolutely useless with this.  After this last bout of severe pain I rang him,  and he said that if it happened again he would 'think about" referring me.  If he got a pain in his testicles so severe that he could not stand,  I wonder how long he would 'think about' getting specialist help!.  I guess my point is this, if you experience this kind of problem,  dont be fobbed off by the GP - insist on seeing a specialist, insist on getting help.  It is not normal to be collapsed on the floor with period pain, and dont let anyone try to tell you that it is.   I would really like to hear other peoples experiences of stenosis,  it has been good to read the accounts above and know that I am not the only person going through this.
So I just finished reading this post and I can really relate.  For the past 3 months on the first day of my period I bleed and have mild cramps.  Then in the evening, always around 6pm, I get hit with crazy debilitating pain.  This time I had taken 4 advil at 4pm and still had horrific pain.  Usually I end up taking 4 advil and 2 vicodin every 4 hours just to take the edge off.  Not to be too graphic, but urinating or putting a tampon in or out made it 10x worse.  I also get chills and nausea.  The bad pain usually last through the night and I have less pain and nausea about another 24 hours.  This time I went and saw my fertility specialist (he helped me get pregnant with my now 2 yr old twins) while I was having pain.  He did an internal US which showed that my uterus was fine and emptying.  The US itself was excruciating, esp every time he touched my cervix.  He said it is either my cerix or endometriosis.  I have an apt next week for saline hystogram so he can measure my cervix.  He made it seem that if it was my cervix, they would just have to dilate once and all would be fine.  But from reading all of the experiences with dilation, it doesn't seem quite so easy or permanent.  if its not my cervix, then I have to have laproscopic done to check for endometriosis.
I did have a colposcopy and biopsy about 15 yrs ago. i also had a c-section for my twins.  It is just so weird that it all came on so suddenly????
Hello everyone,  I just wanted to tell you my story.  In September 2007 I fell pregnant with my 2nd child and unfortunately on the 10th December 2007 I miscarried at 13 weeks.  We ended up doing a D&C and I waited for my period to present so I would be able to try for another baby. My Gyno told me that it should present within a month.... Two months went by and still no period but I started getting severe abdominal pain, which progressively got worse over a matter of weeks, to the point where I took myself to the hospital from work. The doctors at the hospital were useless and kept me there for 6 hours and did a number of tests all to no avail.  They sent me home with pain killers and wanting me to get an ultrasound the following morning and contact my Gyno. I rang my Gyno on the way to the ultrasound and he told me that  he believed he knew what it was and that it is a rare condition where my cervix had closed up after the D&C and the blood from my period was building up in my uterus which was causing the pain. I went for the ultrasound and then went to the Gyno who confirmed it.  I ended up back in hospital and the Gyno had to put an IUD in for 3 months to help keep my Cervix open. After that I have not had any issues and thankfully have been able to have another child.....
I have had an ablation and now my cervix cannot be entered with even a 2 mm dilator!! I have severe pain,cramping and spasms evry month, HUGE clots that hurt like heck coming out and retaining of fluids. help!!! would a LEEPbe beneficial for me?? I am so sick of this crap every month!! had this for four yrs now.
I started to have severe periods around xmas last year and in march had hig blood pressure spikes.  I have been to outpatients several times and to my family dr several times, all they agreed on is that hormones may be causing this issue.  i recently was referred to a gynocologist and she told me that my cervix is severely scarred shut.  I have had dialation done which didn't work and now they want me to have surgery.  I am 50 years old and not looking to have children and i am very confused about what to do.  Everytime my cycle is about to start my blood pressure goes up and i am in a panic and my doctor and anyone at out-patients just poo-poo me.  Am I crazy?  I will take any advice I can get
I recently had a hysteroscopy/d&c for cervical stenosis. i havent had a period for over a year. I was pregnant last year and had a miscarriage. After 2 d&c to remove tissues from pregnancy. I never got a period. It took them a long time to diagnose stenosis! Sheesh!
Now Its been almost 2 weeks since surgery. the Dr put in a catheter in my cervix to keep it from closing up again. I go back in a few days to have it removed. Basically i was having monthly pain each month and no periods or spotting at all for over a year. It puzzles me, how long it took for htem to consider the possibility of cervical stenosis. Im baffled. However, they said the surgery went well and fingers crossed, cervix will stay open.
Okay, this thread is very disturbing...
Are you aware that women are not even tested before age 25 or even 30 in some countries? Why? Because the evidence is that screening does not change the tiny death rate in women under 25 (or even 30) BUT, testing produces very high numbers of false positives and leads to harmful over-treatment. Almost all referrals are false positives - this test is intrinsically unreliable and the cancer is rare, that's a bad combination. An abnormal test means cancer or a real problem in less than 1% of cases. (and the risk in a woman under 25 is near zero)
I strongly suspect most of you have had unnecessary procedures - testing a 19 year old woman is unethical - she has a VERY high risk of a false positive (1 in 3), but cancer in this age group is vanishingly rare.
Finland has the lowest rates of cervical cancer in the world and they offer just 5 to 7 tests over your lifetime - 5 yearly from age 30. They still sends 35%-55% of women for colposcopy and usually some sort of biopsy in their lifetime, but that's the best you'll do with this test. (that's a lot better than the States though where 95% of women are referred)
Note: lifetime risk of cervical cancer is 0.65% in Australia (maybe a little higher in the States but no more than 1%) - 0.45% benefit from testing (0.65% in the States), 0.20% (0.35% in the States) get false negatives and the rest derive no benefit, but 77%-78% will be referred...95% in the States...
This testing causes major over-detection and over-treatment. You can minimize the risks by examining your risk profile and if you choose to test, adopt a schedule that gives you some protection from false positives - like the Finnish program.
As a low risk woman, I made an informed decision not to screen more than 25 years ago. I'm not interested in an unreliable test that causes major over-treatment for a rare cancer - and especially when my risk is near zero.
I suggest you seek legal advice - you should have been warned about the high risks of early testing for no benefit and any abnormal result should have been managed VERY conservatively....this degree of damage to your bodies should NOT have occurred.
I had a LEEP procedure done about 5 years ago, and like many people here I was on Depo for a while. I came off Depo and after a couple years started getting really bad pain every month even though I never got cramps before, and I wasn't getting any bleeding.  My doctor knows I have a stenotic cervix from the procedure, and I asked if it could be a problem that I couldn't have my period and was told it was normal.  I ended up in the ER monday since my doctor wouldn't see me (they could fit me in in a couple of months) and I couldn't take the pain anymore.   The ER doctor did an ultrasound and found that my uterus was swollen and misshappen.  I went in for surgery and had my cervix dilated and my uterus drained.  I was told that I should expect some bleeding but nothing too heavy.  All I've gotten is a very little spotting.  I don't know if that's because they drained everything out during the surgery, or if my cervix shut itself again.  Does anyone know if thats normal?  I go back for my pot op appt in a couple of weeks, but I kinda want to know what to expect.  I don't want to got through that pain again!
I think I might be older than the rest of you. I had an abnormal pap while pregnant with my daughter in 1988. I had cryo surgery that did not work and was then lasered. My paps where normal but I did need to have a uterine oblation (ablation) in 1995 for uterine polyps. I have once again had an abnormal pap and went for a LEEP procedure. During this procedure the Doctor told me my cervix was stenosed and she had to dialate me in order to do the procedure correctly. I thought my light periods were due to the oblation (ablation). The only thing the doctor has suggested to me was Estrogen suppositories (just a note i am not menopausal) which I have never heard of. I still recvoering from the LEEP so I have not yet tried the suppositories. I will let you know if they work!
HI
I am in a similar situation, i have to have a d&c next month for stenosed cervix, but my main problem is rectal pain and pressure, i dont get uterine pain, just the rectal pain and its could happen throughout the whole month a break every now and then,. its starting to really bother now as i feel its radiating down my legs, has anyone else got the same symptoms. im very worried at this stage im only 32 and have had two letz and now this!!
I'm in the same boat as some of you. I had Cryrosurgery done this September and my period in October was extremely painful and VERY clotty. Now it is January of 2012 and I have not got another period and had HORRID pains both months my period didn't come...and I'm on the pill so I knew something was wrong. Went back to the gyno and I have a completely stenotic cervix, which they claim is highly unusual for this procedure. Two drs tried to break the scar tissue and were not successful. It is weird because they had dialated me in the beginning of Oct. and said my os was open. I left with estrogen cream that is suppose to soften my cervix, and a prescription for cytotec which I need to take a day before I go back in and they attempt to dialate me. I just turned 25 last mth and this is so depressing. I had mild/moderate dysplasia and now I'am so scared I will not be able to have children or get endometriosis from this crap if it re-closes. My doctor is not compassionate at all. Has anyone had this resolve after surgery?
Hi I had cone biopsy and loop excision done three years ago and my periods stopped.  I have been discharged from one gyny telling me they didn't know why I wasn't having periods as my hormones were fine and it didn't matter as I didn't want to get pregnant.  This is despite me telling them I was in agony every month.  I even came up with this diagnosis and was laughed at saying it is very unlikely.  3 years on and I end up at a&E in agony thinking I was miscarrying and I get referred to a new gyny.  Who does what no on else had done and looks with a hystroscopy and laproscopy and wonders will never cease I am completely healed shut.  The first doctor tried for 25 mins to dilate me, the second 15 mins and then the first doc tried again for 25 mins before abandoning the procedure.  my left ovary and tube are now knackered and I am awaiting a decision as to the next step. Last Friday I was again doubled over at the side of the bed.  I hope I can get sorted I am getting married and want a baby with my fiance.  Does anyone know if the nitinol stent is available in the uk?
I have had a DNC (1997) after a miscarriage, a LEEP (1998) for displasia, and a surgical cone (2003). I was diagnosed with cervical stenosis with a capital S in 2008 and about a month ago I started having severe menstrual cramps and clotting. I have been on the depo shot since 2000 so I normally don't have a period except when I am under a significant amount of stress. After having an ultrasound done, my doctor told me the results was I had "fluid" in my cervix. He said it was probably blood since I had clotted and the stenosis was preventing it from escaping properly. He said since it had only been going on for a month, when I go back in Sept. for my annual we would see how I was then, unless the pain became unbearable. The only option he gave me was a hysterectomy leaving the ovaries behind. Is there anything else that will permanently fix this?
Wow - are there any gynos reading this stuff?  I had a cone biopsy in 1999 and then all good until March 2011 where I had adenocarcinoma in situ which is essentially pre-cancerous cells in the glands of the cervix.  After 8 months of agonising monthly pain I knew I had cervical scarring (I had this back in 1999 and was resolved at the time) however the advice from 2 gynos was to have a hysterectomy given I had already had my children, and the cervical stenosis would make pap smears and detecting cell changes, very difficult.  It does seem that the hysterectomy was quite a radical thing to do but I guess it has resolved the monthly pain issues which many of you know too well.  It also appears that the inability for my monthly flow to completely flow out has caused endometriosis (I have never had period pain and had no trouble conceiving my 3 kids which I am apparently lucky about) and my ovaries are really unwell so now need to contemplate having them removed.  My Drs believe this back flow of menstrual blood has been going on for years but completely un-diagnosed and never mentioned or even suggested to me as a consequence of the cone biopsy procedures.  I can't believe how little is known about this stuff and how inconsistent it is globally by these 'specialist' Drs.  Best of luck to everyone.
Hello girls,
I want to ask if someone have the same problem and maybe give some advice. Due to electro conisation I don't have cervix, it is all gone. After two months in which I don't have periods It came up that my cervical canal is completely closed and they can't find the entrance. They tried dilatation guided with ultrasound under general anaesthetic but can't reach the uterus because of a fibrous tissue they met on the way. They didn't go further because of a risk of rupture.
Does anyone have the same problem with no cervical canal, how did you solve it? Thank you
My cervical scarring completely covered my cervix to the point where they couldn't find it.  The inability for menstrual blood to pass out meant that I was in awful monthly pain.  I had a hysterectomy to resolve it as no dilatation worked and I wasn't planning anymore kids.  I haven't looked back.  I hope things work out for you.
Margie, tank you for your answer, but I don't have kids and I do want to have and this is not a way for me so I really want to find a solution if any doctor can build the canal again.
Hi i am hoping some one here can help me,
I have suffering with lots of pulling pains and cramps for a while BUT this week (Thursday) the pains got so bad its waking me in my sleep i went to the doctors who sent me straight to the gyno department the same day. After many internals and scans i was told that my cervix is closed, they can't make out if its blocked or stitched and that i have been having periods but because of the cervix being closed its just sitting there. (not had period for 2 years as on mini pill and thought i was a lucky one). I have been told i will need to be put asleep while they operate and that its not a simple procedure and asked questions like do i plan to have any more children!? WHY? any way and that they will sent me a letter with a date for my op and that  it will be within this month. I am scared and very confused as i don't understand how this has happened! Has this happened to anyone? And if so what happens in the operation? Is it a speedy recovery for me?
My Name is Lyn, I am 47years of age.  Been having regular pap smears, last one was aug 2011, went last Wednesday only to find out that my cervix is scarred closed.  Dr said it is caused by infection, or procedure.  I have had neither of these.  If anyone can shed any light on this please, I am worried about Cancer.
Thank you so much this gives me some hope.  I had a cone biopsy age 20 a creep drugged my drink at a party age 19 caught HPV (wart) virus from him attacked cells in my cervix turning them cancerous in 12 months first smear ever was really bad trip to gynae revealed CIN II CIN III sighted very shocked.  Never realised I had Stenosis at all until last week even at my HSG the gynae didn't click even though he had great difficulty getting it in there 12 months later I have my diagnosis must say I am more than slightly annoyed I had my cone biopsy done age 20 now age 38 why was this not the firs thing they considered way back at age 35 when I had not conceived after 6 months they had all the evidence just feel so angry it has taken 3 years to get this investigative surgery and diagnosis.  I can still have my period although they have told me my cervix is as small as a strand of my hair.  I got pregnant and miscarried 4 years ago would ot stop bleeding D & C had to follow very certain my cervix was further scarred by this operation.  Gynae has done a laproscopy was also supposed to do a hysteroscopy at the same time read operation notes OMG they almost completely violated me trying to get the thin tube and camera in there but failed :'-( Reading this is kind of freaking me about wahts going in in my womb also got diagnosed with an anteverted uterus periods have nto been normal since my D & C 4 years ago dark brown and thick was never like that lots of old blood.  Only get decent bleed and red blood maybe every 2nd - 3rd month now only lasts 2 -3 days and not 4 - 5 like it used to.  My pap smears may have been inaccurate since age 20 who would know hardly have any cervix left.... getting very scared as to what else they could find hidden in there... laser sounds like a great idea should be able to get pregnant naturally if I do this tubes ovaries and eggs good will discuss this page with my gynae thank you all so much for telling me what they wouldn't tell me I don't think any of them want to be the bearer of bad news my fertility specialist is on holiday for another month and they left me hanging none brave enough to be the one to break it to me.  I am so glad I found this I had done other searches through the net and found nothing this is what I really needed to see thank you all so much :-)
Thank you this gives me hope so terrified I would not be able to ever have a child of my own after my diagnosis.  IVF likely to be difficult they said but thankfully have a very experienced specialist.
I completely agree with you Margie I am totally shocked and stunned about how out of her depth my gynae was about all this.  I mean you put so much faith in the Dr's to reassure you confidently take control and know whats needs to be done and how.... she is seeking advice from my fertility specialist in Dunedin also lecturer at the med school there.... however he chose a great time to go on holiday didn't he for a whole month.... meanwhile left hanging with no answers no options on the table no idea what I qualify for via public system for IVF etc nothing... no idea if there are any surprises in my womb for me either... 18 years since my Cone Biopsy will freak right out if I've had a back wash situation like you've had for all that time... ultra sound didn't show up anything mind you it never shows up everything... meanwhile sister in law pregnant had bad smear Dr's very worried about her gynae check up looks like she has CIN 2 & 3 pre cancerous cells possibly worse... wanted to do Cone Biopsy while she was pregnant but lots of risks to the baby miscarrying pre birth at 25 weeks etc.... have decided to wait it out till birth in December but this cancer moves FAST as you know so very worried about her really hoping it is not going to end in hysterectomy for her or worse... wow talk about worry overload my foster brother has already los this Mum to Cervical Cancer and his half sister to an seizure at night while everyone was asleep can not bear to see him lose the love of his life too :-/  Really hoping we will both be ok trying hard to stay positive but the odds are against us both
OMG!!!!!! You mean to tell me they cut half of my cervix off over a false positive you've got to be kidding me!!!!  Are you a health professional or is this just some random stuff you found on the internet to freak us all out with if you did THIS IS SO NOT FUNNY!!!!  If this is based on fact and you are a health professional you would be shocked to know this is happening to women in New Zealand ALL THE TIME!!  Right that's it I'm suing the bastards prepare for battle time to strap on my armour climb up on my war horse and ride on in there broadsword swinging some heads are going to roll over this OH YEAH REVENGE WILL BE MINE!!  Cervical Screening were very cagey when I asked for clarification recently I suspect they are hiding something.... I am determined to get to the bottom of this
I am not young.  Am 66 years old.  Went through most of my younger years with NO periods at all.  That was fine with me.  So, with that never had any children and never got pregnant.  Then when about 30 years old a special GYN  made it possible to have periods.  That lasted until I was about 47 when periods came so heavy that I could not work when a period came on.  At 50 periods stopped.  No periods from then on, until I got to 62 years old.  Spotting here and there, not worth wearing a pad.  Went on for few years.  Seen a GYN.  Then found out, not only did my cervix grown shut...it is SCARED shut where as it took 3 surgeons to cut a tiny hole there to do a pap smear.  Nothing showed up bad, but  got hormone pills and that almost killed me, bleed 2 months straight and had to use Depends.  Now, I'm back to spotting every few days.  Since the GYN screwed me up...fear of not going back.  Because of cervix acared shut...WHERE IS THE BLOOD coming from?  How can it come out of a closed cercix?  No other problems...just the idea of spotting every few days.  Anyone with this kind of problem?
I am a 60 year woman who just had a cold knife cone biopsy.  It seems that I am "healing too well".  When I ask the OGYN what that meant she told me my vaginal wall was healing over and onto my cervix.  She was concerned that if I did not start using estrogen cream I may end up with a closed cervix and a shortened vaginal canal.  I got the cream (reluctantly) from the pharmacy and used it once, which resulted in new bleeding.  I am just beside myself about what to do going forward.  I no longer have periods, so I wonder what the harm is in stopping the cream.   It seems like the use of the cream and new bleeding is more of an  infection risk that I want to take.  I had this procedure 8 weeks ago and bled for the first 6 weeks.  I'm just to pissed that this kind of risk was not explained to me before the procedure.  I may have elected not to have it.  Damn it all!
I found out just last year before my surgery for fibroids that my uterus wasnt expelling fluid. I just realized that having had a colpo, and having been on the depo provera for over ten years that it could be a cause of this. It gives me comfort that im not alone in this, I also have hope in my heart again....that ill be able to get pregnant. Naturally. Does anyone know what we can do non medically for this?