chance of pregnancy during period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

chance of pregnancy during period

I have recently gone back on the birth control pill. I stopped taking it about halfway through as I was having chest pains....(which I now know were unrelated). my period started shortly after and it is quite heavy. my boyfriend and I used the withdrawal method last night (I've had my period for about 2/3 days now).
I know that sperm can live in there for a few days but is there a chance of pregnancy??? is this breakthrough bleeding or is it an actual period?
I read a few days ago a girl saying that this resets the monthly cycle. is it safe to go ahead and start my next months pills when my period finishes?
This is your period, not breakthough bleeding.  Breakthrough bleeding is when you are taking the pill and have some spotting/bleeding when you're not supposed to.

Yes, you can start a fresh new pack of pills on the Sunday after you started this period.

In this case, with you planning to start another pack of pills, sex during your period and withdrawing will not result in pg.  I'm sure you're fine.  It'd take POSSIBLE sperm in the precum, and long-living sperm at that, along with an early ovulation to get pg.  But since you are planning to start a new pack on Sunday then you won't ovulate, so you'll be fine.
thank you so much for your prompt response. it really helped me chill out and get through my day.