closed cervix

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

closed cervix

I was told by a gynocologist that my cervix was closed and to see another doctor. Is that a symptom of cervical caner? I am 59 years old and not pregnant.
its werid uselly when told cervix is closed its when your pregnant im unsure that its a sign of i myself has high rish cells for cervical cancer but my cervix has never been closed. but it is not cancer so i dont no what to tell you sorry for not being much help...
ksanden
i founded this stuff on the net i thought it might help you out...

A closed cervix is usually something they tell you on your postpartum visit, about 4 weeks after you deliver a child.  That means your cervix is no longer open or dialated - as in delivery, and that you are less likely to have infections or problems w/ your cervix. if you have never had a child or it's been a long time since you have, and there telling you the cervix is closed you may have what is called a stenotic cervix...This could not be such a good thing.  You should talk to your Dr. more or get a 2nd opinion.  My mother had this and every 3-4 months they had to go in and actually scrap her uterus of left behind tissue and menstruation "debris".  She eventually had to have an hysterectomy b/c it got to be to much to do that and also to much money

A closed cervix makes it impossible to conceive; such condition happens as a result of treatment for cervical cancer, but with regular pap smear it is possible to prevent such complications. Uterine protection, fertility, and early or late birth cause changes in cervical conditions from constricted to dilated at the appropriate stages. An antigen over-response or restricted response can lead to cervical impairment. The effect of infectious diseases on this delicate balance can result in morbidity/mortality events. A closed cervix makes it impossible to conceive; such condition happens as a result of treatment for cervical cancer, but with regular pap smear it is possible to prevent such complications.
i had an abortion in january afterward i began severe cramping and discmofort i was told i had cervical stignosis and im still not sure what that means and how it happened i also wanna know the after affects and i cant seem to find out anything about .will it ruin my chances of having children in the future i have 1 child and have already had 3 abortions
You have had three abortions and are worried about future pregnancies?  This comment seems very strange to me... I understand a mistake and having an abortion, but how can you make the same mistake three times?  How can you continue to kill your unborn children even after having and carrying one to term and raising one of them?  

I cannot believe that you have not been informed that each time you have an abortion that you not only take the life of the child but effect your body as well.  Your cervix is most likely too short to carry a fetus to term now and the fact that it is shut makes it impossible to have any more children without having it surgically opened again.  

You have been blessed with four pregnancies so far, perhaps it is time to realize that.
Mimi311
I just had an Hysteroscopy and an D&C(also Dr gave me a prescription called MISOPROSTOL 200MG-used to dilate cervix). Also to open up my cervix. My cervix has been closed. The past year I have had 2 ultra sounds, 3 pap smears(Dr's trying to get Uterus tissue and not able due to closed cervix), a few blood test. A medical report said I had a cyst in ovaries and growth endometriosis. The Hysteroscopy turned out good and my uterus was found very clean but smaller than normal uterus's. I'll be going in to see the Dr for my post surgery in 2 weeks. After this my OB GYN is going to have a fertility specialist fly in from Texas to figure out the reason I have not been able to get Pregnant. I just went in just to figure out why am I having pain in the abdomen. I started to see a family Physician. Then I was sent to a OB GYN. Now next is a fertility specialist. I have normal menstral cycles and I do ovulate. My dr's are trying to figure out whats the problem.
I mention to a lady once about abortion only to find out that she had had natural abortion (which mean miscarriage). So I've learned I have to sometimes be careful about what I say until I know the whole circumstances. The hardship of loosing three kids must have been difficult for you, but at least you are blessed with the child you have. Yes the loss does cause physical harm to your internal organs.