cold tingley numb feeling in upper back under right shoulderblade.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-231 comments:
GOING ON 3 YRS OF PEOPLE COMMENTING THIS DISCUSSION! Female,21 had this for the past 2 months.  I who never was invovled in a car accident, sometimes sleeps with my arm under my pillow, has a job that requires me to sit in front of a computer(started 3 mnths ago), has slight scoliosis, and a righty HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. I saw a comment to take a MRI and see whats going on under the tissue which i might look into.  FOR ME: its not a pain but a annoyance, its under my left shoulder blade and it feels like  ants walking on it, needles pokeing at it, like its going to "sleep"(when u cut the blood circulation on ur hand, the tiggling feeling you feel; same on back) <- this is why i changed my bar with no pressure on back because i thought maybe something was cutting off circulation as well, BUT NO HELP.   this is a UNKOWN DIAGNOSIS!!!  scary but DOCTORS needs to look into it.. : /   hopefulllyy the disgnosis will come out.
Hey,
have the exact SAME symptoms that all of you have mentioned....pretty weird! Im 18, female and spend most of my time sitting in front of a computer at college(similar to what a few of you mentioned)....Ive had the same itchy/tingly/numb/strange/vibrating almost sensation on a small part of my back, on one side, near the spine. Ive felt this a few months ago, but thought nothing of it, but in the last month/few weeks, its came on stronger then ever, coming on/off through out the day. Things like Sneezing seems to be setting it of Oh also when i step out of a hot shower. But ive realised that the only thing thats different from these past few weeks, compared to when i first noticed it, is my STRESS level. Stress seems to be the key of what brings it on more aggressively. Never painful though, just strange and irritating!!!!  
I am 50, female. I have been searching for a long time for an answer to this tingling/burnning-cold/itchey/numb/sometimes stabbing - symptom set on own, but to no avail. Finally kindred spirits! --My issues are the same, have asked the doctors, but havn't been able to afford specialists. My symtoms (symptoms) started in 2002. I was working for a ad circular, so was at the computer 8 to 14 hours a day depending on how close the deadline was. I also hit my head on the doorframe of my boyfriends van which knocked a shockwave down my spine a few weeks prior to it's onset. I assumed it might be a pinched nerve.
It was just an annoyance for a while, but I think it is evolving into something more. About 2 yrs after it started I got numbness down my left leg, arm, and into my face, that only comes on when I have been at the computer for long periods, or sitting forward, dishes, and other activities that require my arms to be in front of my body, for more than a couple hours. About 4 or 5 years ago I started noticing a crawling feeling under my left rib cage, that occured as a result of the same posture positions. The crawling feeling has changed since then to being painful, I thought it was my spleen, or the bend in my bowel near my spleen. But I'm beginning to wonder if it might be the pinched nerve now effecting internal organs, and muscles. Last year my chiropractor found a small spur in one of the openings between my vertabra, so I could be damaging a whole bunch of nerves.
I have found streches to be helpful, if I don't over do them, and back/core strenthining exercises help the pain in the left front.
I never used to sleep on my stomach, but started a few years ago, but have since changed to my back. I cannot sleep with my arm under my waist on either side, so usually I have to lay on my back. I really want to know what the heck is going on.
I am really discouraged, that a doctor or someone hasn't picked up on this yet, especially since there are so many people with the same issues.
May God Bless Us All!!
Its an implant everyone lol. ive had it for nearly 3 years now and it has progressed its numb to the touch but has a lingering burn sensation I sensed it while I was laying down with people in the room I was paralyzed and couldnt talk to tell anyone that something is near me. But since then ive felt what everyone is talking about. Im left handed and its on my leftside. And hey by back has been radiating lots of heat so who knows.
Hi. im 26 mum of 2. i have that sensation like you all. it is a mix of tingling and numbnes in one. Few month ago was more on one side of my back, now is on the other.or even sometimes feels on both.i get pain in my nees when im driving mostly. i sleep mostly with my arms up on my back.or on my stomake with arm under the pillow. shurely that is some thing to do with our sleaping position.. i hope. July 19got an appointment and will see what the neurologist will tell me..
ill be back withe results xx
2011
dsfg
in order to relieve the pain behind the right shoulder blade take these steps:
relax your shoudlers
breath deeply in and out
and try to do stuff to keep your mind of it.
and the key thing is to relax. relaxaion is key
I have it, too!   It seems to get worse when I'm under stress. I thought it might be related to shingles, which I had last year on my back, but if everybody else has it without shingles, maybe it's something else.
I have been going through the same problem now for 10 1/2 years. It started after I had some surgery on my kidney and having my 2nd child. Yes I had an epidural. I have had injections of lidocaine epinephrene cortezone and it takes it away for 18-20 hours and comes right back. My spot has now gone across my back to the left side also. I hurts and tingled. Very annoying! Its nice to know I'm not crazy and other's have the same problem!
still no solution to this? this is kinda weird, I'm  havin the exact problem, but it has only been going for 3 days now, I'm 18 yr old male, and this only happens when I am leaning forward with my hands out(when using the computer, washing dishes, sweeping) the numbness and tingling in on my left shoulder blade like 2 inches from the spine like the rest of you, I don't really exercise and I spend about 10 hrs on the computer, so I guess this is why the problem started, I have now started excercising a bit and I am spending less time on the computer or I lean back to try and reduce this, I'm really hoping someone will tell me what this is.
Diva Gurl
I too am having the same numbing feeling in the same location (right side under blade) and I to sleep with my arm under my pillow. I have been having it for about 7 months now. I have been seeing a back doctor for years now for scoliosis and other back problems. I recently went in to see him because of the numbing. He didnt say for sure if the scoliosis was causing out but he looked at my back and said the scoliosis he now realizes is getting worse.so just resided its progressive and I need to have surgery. So I think it might be the scoliosis getting worse causing the numbing somehow. Does anyone else with this numbing have scoliosis?
u people have A PINCHED NERVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

me and my dad have this. have same symptoms as all of u.

SOLUTIONS:
physical therapy can help reduce the pain surmount-ably, but it may never go away.
rest and relaxation is important. and the less stress the better.
again, physical therapy is the only treatment. talk to your doctor about this.

THAT IS ALL u can do!

acceptance is best. most likely this will be with you people until you die. it *****, I know. just live life to the fullest.

end of discussion.

I have been having Pain, Itching, burning, a numbing sensationon and under the skin from all around my left Breast under my arm pit to the other side of my shoulder blade and stops just before the spine. I have tried to massage a couple places of what I think are muscles and it helps for about a few seconds. Those muscles are tender. I have hade this condition for about three days. Pain has increased and also I feel like a pin sometimes is jabbed into me. I have not lifted anything heavey enough to strain a muscle. I applied some menthol type of pain relievers but does not help. I have taken Naproxen, Ibuprofen and no relief. I am going to apply some ice. But I do not think that will work.

Extra reading!
If someone goes to a doctor these days if it does not show up on a scan or blood test you are a hypochondriac. Also the PA or RN is there to see you as the doctors are out playing golf. Although the insurance Companies are billed as though the doctor treated you. What a scam the doctors are doing now. useing a PA or an RN to diagnose patients. This is a true statement here in the San Antonio, Texas area. not to mention the number of offices doctors have because they are so greedy. I just had to say that because I have seen what doctors have been doing from the 1950's until now. Doctors used to be very good until a machine told him how to diagnose patients. If this offends you, well you must be a doctor that does not honor the code you took.    
Hey guys, I share almost exact symptoms as all of you, I am 16 male, directly beneath my right shoulder blade, I can sometimes feel a random sharp pricking feeling. The areas around it is also slightly numb, but I think it's spreading! ALSO the strangest thing is, it burns whenever I eat SUSHI OR GINGER!!! It's really weird, and the pricking has recently turned into burning. I have stopped eating sushi and ginger, but the numbness and slight burning are still there. Crazy huh??
Did food ever trigger the pain??
i had a tingling spot next to my thoracic spine for yrs. had an MRI, dx'd w/ slight spondylosis.  told the tingling is from muscle spasms! and everyone that i know with tingling in their back says the same thing. so i now take a mild muscle relaxer, it does wonders.  if you can, next time you get this feeling, ice it for 20 minutes of course while taking a break from whatever activity you were doing that brought it on (and yes sitting and laying can cause a spasm) and it should clear up.  if it does persist, prob for a few months or longer w/o good reason, sports, physical exertion etc anything that can pull, rupture or just stress the muscles.  last but not least, Protein, our muscles love protein!
this is all to do with poor posture sitting w slouched or rounded shoulders ,forward head and a flexed spine will all cause compression on different nerves that innervate the muscles that are supposed to be holding you upright ( head in midline,shoulders back and lumbar spine in its neutral position.). So this bad posture is stretching the muscles making them weak and causing nerve impingement which is seen by radiating pain,numbness or tingling. Just practice good posture and strengthening your back & core you should see a huge difference. If not than you could be suffering from a herniated disc or bulging disc that could be pinching the nerve that travels through to your muscle causing that sensation.
I've been feeling the same symptoms also. I just started to feel a tingly sensation on my back on the right side of my back near my shoulder blade about two inches from my spine its itchy, numb, sore, and moderately painful however there's no bump or marking to say its a rash or anything. I though it was lyme disease or something but I wasn't bit by a tick or anything so I don't know. I'm going to make an appointment to see my doctor asap!
i have been experiencing the same tingling cold feeling on the sides of my abdomen it goes up to my arms....im not lazy i like to excersise and be active . ive never felt this way before...never really had aches or pains...in dec last yr i developed a stomache /gastrithis issue that i went to the doctors they said it was gastrithis ...and since the i get this tingling feeling on and off but in the last week more often. my husband died of cancer (lymphoma) i definantly wouldnt know the symptoms for that but as tou all may understand i just would like to rule anything life threatening out. my job changes my shifts from overnights for mornigs often ...so maybe my body is trying to catch up to its normalness...but working like that trows it off,,,i dont know...
I have had this same issue since a car accident I had in 1996. I am sorry to hear that so many of us have the same tingling and numbness, but I feel some comfort in knowing  that I am not the only one.
( I hope that is not offensive) .
For years I have been trying to explain what it feels like to my doctors and family. I always seem to get a blank stare when I tell them that I can't feel the surface of my skin between my shoulder blade and my spine. The best example I can give, is that it feels  like when you go to the dentist and you can't feel your face for a few hours after the visit. Now add some buring with a side of pain and..voilà. It is frustrating!!! please keep me posted with any medical updates or advice. I wish the best to all of you.  
I have suffered for 27 years (since I was 18) with numbness, itching, burning and pain in one localized spot in my mid-back, near my spine, only on the right side.  I was retired from the military at age 27 because of this problem. The Air Force diagnosed "degenerative disc disease" and a herniation.  I had laser surgery for the herniation (which helped numbness in my leg and foot), but the numbness and itching in my back has only gotten worse over the years.  I'm not over-weight (6'1¨and 186 pounds).  I have been told that I must accept the problem and live with it.  At age 45, I must now rest in bed throughout the day and go for deep tissue massages twice a week. Sometimes when I get massages, if they hit the exact spot, I instantly get extreme itching in other spots in my back. If anyone finds a better sollution, please let me know!
Wow. At least I am not the only one. I wonder why this happends or starts to happend. Probably will make an appointment with my doctor. My numbness/tingle feeling just started last week. Maybe it is stress related but hopefully some doctor can find an answer.
Hi there,
I have have the same numb feeling in the area of my left shoulder blade.  It started not long after a bad muscle pull.  Now approx 6 months on and whilst there is no pain, I suffer a dull ache, burning and numbness.....but the most anoying of all is a constant itch just under the shoulder blade.  Why the itching I do not understand???? I spoke to the docs but no answer other than a muscle pull!!! Been seeing a massusse now for over 3 months but still no change.  Does anyone else suffer the itching?

Natasha
x
Yeah, pinched nerve sounds right. And while a lot of people commented on sleeping, posture, and new babies- they all go hand-in-hand.

Mine started several weeks after my second child was born, and occurs a few times a week for 9 months now- due to bad posture carrying and feeding the baby, and lots of time spent hunched over at the computer I'm sure. Oh yeah, and I sleep with my arm under my pillow (stretched out, under my pillow). While I have back problems (spondolesthesis, scoliosis, fractured vertebrae- none are causing me pain at this point in my life), the chiropractic said it's not due to spinal issues. It subsided for a few weeks after acupuncture.
I'm a 52 Year old Computer Technician - I hope you all read this because maybe it will help. During the day I work in one room of the house - sitting on a stool looking slightly up at a monitor and it drives me nuts. My arms are slightly down toward the desk. I get tingling under the right-hand shoulder blade and know it is doing damage but I have to keep going because its my job. At night I play my computer games on my own PC and do not feel a thing, my head is parallel to the computer screen but often I realise my chin is on my chest so I am looking down. My chair is back as in I am laying back in my chair. It seems that it is all to do with posture. Your arms should be level and your head should be level. If you are sitting too high you will feel pain. If you are sitting too low and looking up you will feel pain. Spend some time adjusting your posture until the pain ceases. Best is Arms up above your waist Monitor at eye level or just below.
Hi...i am a 41 yrs old male...that suffered with simalar issues...tried all kinds of pain releavers and muscle relaxers...you name it i tried it just to get releaf...well i found out why the pain was always there and i was always at my P.A 's office all the time....the medication helps but does more harm than good....so i researched and studied alot of vitamins and herbs that could help...and i found alot of them....for instance...B-complex is for nerve repair and energy and a ton of other benafits from this vitamin..Omega 3 fish oil...is good for mobility and skin and eye conditions and cholesteral  just to name a few...MSM is for tissue repair , allergies, GERD, its a sulfer something the body needs and it has alot of other uses...and if mixed with Gulcosamine and Chondrotin...it is also good for joint ,tissue and cartlige repair, including spinal and disc inflamation (inflammation)..and vitamin C..help the immune system,...there are a ton of vitamins that help with alot of things...but your DR. wont tell you about them because he only makes money off of a prescription...man made meds...not natural...so no kick back for them...so no help to you...just go to any natural food store or search on internet  and tell them your symtems or problem....i am sure they will do a better and more affodable job for you....try it please it cant hurt,,and better for your health,,,for example..did you know antibiotic may help...but also hurt you more...cause they increase the amount of yeast in your body...and also destroy good bacteria that is needed in the body...and cortical steriods well they just destroy your immune system plain and simple...but a DR. wont tell you that...he risk losing money if he did...my name is Roy.. and i hope this will help someone out there like it did me...ohh and remember ..always keep God in your corner...these natural wonders were all created by him.....   God Bless ..and thank you for your time...
Ok..this is weird. This is the first site that comes up when I search "cold numb feeling in my back" and I'm having the same sensation as all of you. Right side, down the area where my bra strap is, between my scapula and spine for about two to three inches. I used to think it was my bra strap was too tight (it feels similar to the tingly feeling when circulation gets cut off) but then one day I rubbed it and realized I wasn't wearing a bra. I'm 29, female, do NOT sleep with my arm under the pillow but normally on one side or the other. I'm a lefty. Is anyone else? Ive never had a traumatic accident on this side. I have mild scoliosis and have had different back problems for years but this is so different. The only relief I get (which is short-term) is to do back exercises to strengthen my back muscles.. I was a competitive swimmer for years and the hyper flexibility/weakness in my back and shoulders compared to my chest seems to always be involved in many of my shoulder and back problems. Does anyone else with this issue have hyper flexibility? Has anyone tried a back workout regime to see if that helps? Like I said, for me, the relief is temporary, but the underlying sensation seems to be getting more pervasive.
WOw. I have the same feeling. Nothing major but really odd. I sleep on my back with my arm up and hand under my pillow.  
Long thread and many comments.  Almost exactly same issues as the original poster of this article:

Tingling sensation on my left side around shoulder blade just under surface.  
       Comes and goes throughout the day, seems to be triggered by certain postures.  i.e. sitting at computer happens almost constantly, same with doing the dishes.  Lying down actually have no symptoms
       Had it for about 2-3 weeks at this point.
       The tingling has "spread" along my scapula horizontally to my armpit basically (tingling is in patches).
       No pain associated with the tingling.

It would be more helpful if people reported what their doctors are saying.  To that end, this is what my doctor (GP) believes:

Either injured muscles in the area, tightness due to poor posture, recent intense activity or stress to that area.  But the sensation is not normal, even for muscle injury.  There is something going on to the nerve itself.  The only think out of the ordinary i did about 3 weeks ago was chopping wood with an axe for a bit.  Have never done that and it wasn't easy, lot of jarring etc.

It could very well be DDD - Degenerative Disk Disease.  Look it up.  Disk gets think/weak and stars pressing on your nerve cause anything from tingling/numbness to pain etc.  And due to the area that people describe symptoms, like mine..likely a disk in your thoracic region or lower cervical spinal region.  I will need to get an Xray or MRI to confirm.

I think in many  cases it might end up being DDD, which is not that uncommon in between 20-40 year olds. The problem with it just being tight muscles is that they don't typically pinch the nerves, the compression is coming from the very narrow space that is available to the nerve as it exists the spinal column.  So even a relatively small narrowing as a result of a disc loosing its cushioning ability can impinge the nerve.  Think of when you really have injured/pulled a muscle or even torn one.  How many times can you recall having a tingling sensation that comes and goes randomly but is consistent for weeks to months or more?  The reason is that muscle problems don't typically impact or impinge nerve function.

Take care and see what your doctors think of that possibility, please post feedback here.  I am actually very surprised that very few doctors (where people have posted their comments) have suggested that DDD is a strong possibility.

Cheers
JCDD
i have had the smae feeling a few inches from the spine on my left side under the left shoulder blade, im only 17 and its wierd, i can go for at least 1-2 years without feeling it and then all of a sudden feel it again then it comes on and off. so why this feeling is there i dont know but i would like to know why.  it dont hurt but its a numbing and tingling sensation.
Doctors don't know anything. Same problems for several months under my left shoulder blade. Numbness and burning pain, irritating feelings and discomfort especially during dishwashing or cooking, sitting without any support or standing at one spot for some time... it forces me to change position emmediately, to lie down and have a rest. It affects my everyday life. I had no injuries.

WHAT I'VE DONE FOR IT:
I had a thoracic CT scan done - nothing abnormal found. I've been going to physio, remedial massages (cupping) for several months, started going to the gym almost everyday to strengthen my weak muscles (for 7 months already), I am doing stretching a lot, even tried myotherapy and chiropractic. And results? I've improved my posture a lot and lost weight. That's it. The burning sensation and other symptoms still persist. Thinking about dry needeling, though. It might be a chance but who knows...
I have Carpal Tunnel and that causes those feeling for me. Doc told me to ice my wrist and it will calm the inflammation around the nerve. Then it stopped.
i have this feeling of numbness in my hands especially when bedtime. my back is also aching. i tend to change position and that would relieve slightly the numbness. at the same time my breath gets short and my heart beats so fast while my head is getting wild as if i am going violent. hurting myself or others. i am so afraid that i will not be able to control myself. i have gone to the various doctors and hospitals. first they test my blood and urine for kidney and diabetes problem. it went normal.because of palpitations, i was taken x rays twice, ECG twice, stress test. it went normal. i went also to a pulmonary specialist. he said i was fine. because i have dizziness, headache and ringing ears, i went to an EENT, gave me zoloft and ginkgo tebonin forte. one tablet of ginkgo only and i wake up in the middle of the night shaking, my heart is rumbling. i discontinued taking the med. i called the EENT and he said it is normal nothing to worry. but i never take the med anymore. next day i went to a neurologist. he said it is just stress. he gave me antidepressant, alpazoram altrox. gave me also carvibloc, nutrafit, and tocovid suprabio. with those so many drugs i am taking in, i am starting to get afraid. i am afraid of overdose. my feeling never changed with those drugs. now i am thinking of having an MRI and CT scan. PLEASE HELP ME. How much is an MRI and CT scan. I am in the Philippines. please if you have same experience, tell me what to do.thanx a lot
Wow mine is on my back right where my bra strap is about an inch from back clasp on the left side only mine is a little darker them my skin tone almost like a faded bruise. It drives me nuts  , burning itching sensation. I wish I knew what it was. I'm 31 in USA.
I'm 17, and I have this problem too.  It only happens when I'm holding my flute up during really long songs and I don't get a chance to lower them for five minutes or so.  It doesn't hurt; only feels really weird and cold in a small spot just under my right shoulder blade.  It stops within ten minutes after I stop playing and only does it when I play sitting down.  It's been going on for about two months now and I'd love to know why!
I too have the same tingling feeling for the past 3 months just under my right shoulder,  Too surprised to see  a post running for almost 7 years. So many people feeling the same pro, but no remedy so far???
The thing is that, i feel that only when i take off my shirt. until that moment i don't feel a thing.
Viewing 201-231 comments: