cold tingley numb feeling in upper back under right shoulderblade.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I know i should post under neurology (i have no credidcard ) i have been getting this numb tingle on my right side about 2 or 3 inches from my spine, and under the blade. I have searched threw symptoms of others with back prob. but I haven't found anyone with my symptoms of a numb mid or upper back.I have had this tingle for about 2 years, almost every day. I also sleep on my right side with my arm up under my pillow to cradle my neck as i have severe neck arthritis from a car accident 6 or 7 years ago. i don't know if that is a factor in my numbness. i also notice that it goes numb more often on the days i do wear my bra. i would appreciate any advice or if you also have had a numb mid back, any suggestions.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
i have that also, for years.  mine is a tingle, itchy sensation that kinda burns right below my shoulder blade.  it goes and comes. never really worried about it.
I have the same thing on the same side and everything.
At frist I kept thinking it was a pimple under the skin getting ready to come out. But then just tried to get used to it. It's been about a year not and I still can't get used to it though.
I drives me crazy! But you know what I too sleep with my arm up under my pillow. So maybe that has something to do with it.
And that would be a hard habit to break for me since I've been sleeping like that as long as I can remember.
Have you ever had a spinal block or an epidural? I used to get the exact same tingly feeling and so did my girlfriend. It wasn't until we began discussing our histories did our epidurals come up. I was in a car accident 4 yrs. ago and began seeing a chiropractor. I still go at least once a month for maintenance and I no longer get that tingly numb feeling.
Freaky. I did a Google search tonight for the symptoms "Tingle" "Back" and I really didn't expect to find others with the same problem.

I have the same tingling sensation under my shoulder blade about 2-3 inches from my spine. It's been a constant for about 3 months. It almost feels like my shirt is rubbing against my skin but then it feels like that when I don't have a shirt on.

I too sleep with my arm under my pillow, under my head. I have slept that way since I was born. I sometimes do it with my other arm but it's almost always with the arm where I feel the tingling. I've never been in an accident nor have I ever had an epideral. I had mild scoliosis when I was a child but that has long since gone.

If anyone hears anything about this from an M.D. please post to this discussion. I am planning on going to the doctor once my insurance kicks in.
Wow, i could almost write 'ditto' to everyone's comments to date.  Numb patch (quite large, and a bit tingly) between spine and shoulder blade... I also sleep with my arm under the pillow (normally on my stomach) - looks like we almost have a direct cause and effect.  In any case, i'm visiting the physio tomorrow, so hopefully i'll be able to add some further comments.
Guess what. Across the Atlantic (Ireland) and simular symotons. Tingly,numb feeling on a patch under blade. Sometime it feels like a weight is stuck to it. No real pain butting feeling of a weight dragging on my skin. I might have to just live with it.  John.  P.S.  It can also feel like a sting from nettles or at least a few hours after the sting happens.
I have been having a tingling in my upper back right under my shoulder blades for about 2 months now and the tingling usually goes up to my neck. And lately a shooting pain will go down my right leg and I'm not sure what is going on but I do have a doctors appointment next week to get this figured out.
I have the same sensation over a 3 inch patch next to my right shoulder blade.  This feels like carpert burn, almost like the skin is crawling and tingling.  I've had it intermittently for the last 4 or so years and almost always affects me whilst at work using my keyboard.  I sleep mainly on my left side though and very ocassionally on the right.  It's more an annoyance than anything else, always try to rub it away, but it feels like it's under the skin rather than an irritation on top.  Very strange sensation.  If anyone gets a diagnosis, please post it.
Oh men! I can't believe it! Writing from Hungary a 28-year-old lady! I have the same sypthoms for 2 months now, really annoying! Never had a accident, but I do sleep on my stomach with my arm under my pillow!! left leg near my body... Doctors have no clue! Its really annoying, the numb starts when I bend front, like dishwashing, sweeping the floor etc, or simply sitting on a chair! Prevents me from doing everything! Hate it! If anyone found a solution, please post it here!! Thanks in advance!
Wishing you all a healthy holiday season!
I have the same thing same place.  I can remember the first time I felt it I thought it was a long back hair catching on my sweater, I was 4years old.  Then I got pregnant and had the patches all over.  Everyday I woke up it was in a different spot, around my waist, top of my head.  What is weird is alot of those places are how they diagnose fibromyalgia.  But seeing as I don't have health insurance no doctor wants to talk to me unless I am dying. I sleep w/ my arm under my pillow too, doesn't everyone?
I have the same thing right on my shoulder,I get looks like a rash on it,little bumps.But it feels numb tingely,I noticed it when I started sitting at my computer all the time.I hate it,I even woke up at night almost in tears cuz it would bother me so bad!!It itched a little too,its hard to explain.
i just typed in cold "feeling on back" on google and this was the 1st thing to pop up......i have the exact same thing below the right shoulder blade its like a numb cold feeling, its been happening for a week or so and ive been worrying about it. does anyone know what it is exactly, or is it just sleeping on it weird?
Wow okay.. This is strange. 21 year old female. 2 previous epidurals,1 previous lumberpuncture. I sleep on my stomach with my right arm under my pillow sometimes, but my numb spot is on the left side of my upperback just under a tad and over a tad from my shoulder blade. I have no mark there or anything, it doesn't matter if I'm standing, sitting, or laying I get it no matter. It's like a loss of feeling in 1 area. I get itchy there sometimes and it's like I have to itch beside the spot in order for it to go away. It almost feels like my hair is rubbing against it but it's not possible. Or that I've been standing in the shower with the shower on that 1 part of my back for an hour. It's strange and I really wish I knew what it was because it's been there for about 3 months and it's just getting worse.
Ok... me too!! I sleep on my stomach with my right arm up under my pillow and head and have the same thing right below my right shoulder blade!!! SO weird..
Hello guys! I'm back again. I've been to two different doctors, both said the same: I am sitting at the computer and staring it way too much!! (they are right , 10-12 hours a day!) so I need to do excersise, sport whatever, every night I need a shoulder massage (:( I dont get it) and sitting correctly at the PC, meaning moving in every 1 Hour for 10 minutes etc. How about if we tried it together!!!! Maybe it would work for us all!!! Go ahead for it!
Wow, I googled these symptoms not knowing if I would find anything or even be able to explain it.  I have the same numbness sort of pain in my right shoulder blade as well.  It has been bothering me alot lately so I have finally decided I need to look into it.  It has been over 2 years now since it started.  Thought it may be from work I was doing in the summer so went to Physio 3 times per week to stretch etc.....it didn;t help and I havn;t been working there for a long time now.  I think it may have alot to do with staring at a computer all day and the way we are sleeping.  If anyone finds out please let me know, glad to hear I am not the only one with this weird "thing"!!!
i have the same thing and sleep the same way. I am hypothyroid and am having lots of other problems. pain in right leg, heavy sometimes numb also in left arm. I am sleepy all the time and my memory is almost nonexistant. They are getting ready to do a sleep apnia (apnea) test and send me to a neurologist. I'll let you know if I find out anything helpful. I hope so for all our sakes!
To Everyone

I have been looking for answers to my back problem for a while...I also have this "spot" on my left upper back (right under where my bra goes around).   It feels like ants crawling in there.  Sometimes a slight burning sensation.  I itch it constantly..even when I out...people probably think I'm nuts.  I can't stand it sometimes.  I actually have the skin almost raw in that area.  This started about a year ago.  Sometimes I feel soreness all the way down my left side.   WHAT IS THIS??   I want to go to a doctor, but I feel he is just going to say it's your nerve endings, or the way you sit, etc.  I guess I can live with this, I just want to make sure nothing else is going on.  I guess I'll have to break down and go through all the tests for him to tell me there is nothing they can do.  I am really glad to see others have these same symptoms and that is not "all in my head".  I do have osteoporosis in the lower spine.  Maybe this could contribute to it??  Then again, I also read on the internet that someone said theire guiafesan medication they were taking caused some itching problems in their back.   I have also been on this med for sinuses for a couple years...  who knows???   But I don't think that would cause this sensation in one spot ???  If anyone figures it out - PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

Good luck and God Bless!
I have the same symptoms....except my tingling, numb sensation is on my left side.  it feels like my entire upper left back gets this numb cold sensation about three times a day or more.  i sleep on my right side, with my left arm under my head and pillow on my stomach....this DEFINITELY seems to be a pattern here.  I get sharp, scary numb pricks in the right side of my neck as well.  I too sit in front of a computer for 9 hrs a day.  it is really starting to scare me....hoping it isn't something dangerous.  I suffer from anxiety as well....curious how many of you do as well??  Please anyone let me know if you find out the problem, solution or medical diagnosis!!
I'm a 49 year old female who has the same symptoms.  My left side about 2-3 inches to the left of my spine, under the shoulder blade and is about the size of my palm (or a little larger).  It tingles, goes numb, just is such an odd sensation.  Something I have that started around the same time the left area started going numb and tingly is that I have two tiny lumps actually on my right shoulder blade. These things itch and are driving me crazy. I've had them about 4 months now and my oldest daughter said they look like two hives that never go away. Oh, like the majority here I also sleep with my arm often under the pillow.
I sit at a computer as well 8 to 10 hours each day and it isn't necessarily positioned well either, but it's at work so I'm stuck.  I have other chronic health issues such as fibromyalgia and degenerative arthritis in my neck and spine.  Any connection to any of you on top of my last post??  Perplexed here.
28 year old female, with two previous spinals, work in childcare (very busy) don't sit too often.  I have the same sensation under my right shoulder blade, it is actually numb to touch it (it feels like the freezing the dentist puts in you mouth.)

I do not sleep with my arm under my pillow.  I sleep on my back with my hands on my tummy.  

I see the doctor on the 23rd, ill keep you posted!
Hello Chrissie!

You are the first one here not sitting at the computer all the time and not sleeping on your stomach! Can't wait what your doctor says! Its getting even more interesting!

I tried an S shaped anatomical pillow and it helps me a lot! My neck and spinal does not crackle each morning when I wake up... at least that is something! :) I still have the same tingle (honestly telling you I do not do the excercises I was told to).

Hoping the best for all of us! :)
I too am experiencing left shoulder blade numbness. 29 year old Female, 1 baby boy, no epidural, I sleep on my back with arms beside me or on my side cuddling a pillow in front of me, I sit at a computer at least 8 hours a day.  
I was in a car accident (rear-ended) and had severe whiplash about 1 year and a half ago. I have to get a MRI of my Thoracic spine because the Doctor wants to see the nerves to make sure there is no damage.  It's good to see I'm not the only one that is experiencing this!!! ;o)
Well, at least I'm not crazy!  I have right side, under shoulder blade numbness and tingling as well.  I had a large birthmark in that area when I was a kid and I was sitting here scared I was dying of some sort of tumor.  I just had my second child 12 weeks ago and I had a spinal this time (last time was an epidural).  I'm a dental hygienist and since I'm right handed, I sit on the right side of patient and lean to the left all day long, AND I sleep on my right side with my right arm under my pillow.  I plan on saving this sight to watch for response in the future.  If anyone gets a definate diagnosis, let us know!
31 yr old female here. cold, tingling sensation started about 3 weeks ago. about the same time i started a new job. after reading these comments im thinking these symptoms are related to posture. i have to stand at my job all day. and before the coldness and numbness started i was noticing muscle tightness in the exact same location, the right side between my spine and shoulder blade. i think perhaps my posture is putting strain on that particular muscle, its actually tender if i push on it. im going to try massage and posture adjustments and see if that fixes it.
i have also had an epidural and lumbar punctures, but i think thats coincidental
I knew I wasn't crazy, but doctors certainly don't know what it is and they always get a strange look on their face when I describe it... I am a 28 year old female, I have been sitting all day at a PC for the better part of 10 years, and I DO NOT sleep on my stomach nor do I sleep on my arm... Most of the time I am on my back.  My spot is right below and to the left of my right shoulder blade and has persisted for about 5 years.  I have had a MRI done and it showed nothing... It has started recently to spread across my back in a diagonal line to the left side of my back...  it itches so bad most of the time and when I scratch it i can't really feel that i'm scratching it - except for the pressure of my fingers... it is so wierd... I don't know if we will ever figure it out, but it is probably nerve damage of some sort... I hope we get answers.  I, also, get the sharp/numb (?) shooting pains in that general area and it feels almost like a nerve or a piece of muscle tissue is getting snagged on something - I know that is a strange way to put it, but...

Anyway - if anyone does figure out what this is, please tell us.
Wow !
Female - 35 - have had this feeling for around 3 months now - tried to put it to the back of my mind but today plucked up the courage to google it "numb feeling back" and lo & behold - I ain't alone - can't tell you how relieved that made me feel - thank you !!!
My numbness is about 2" to the left of my spine just under my left shoulder blade and is about the size of a credit card. Having read all the above excellent descriptions, agree mine is similar to the nettle sensation. It always seems to be there - but the tingliness/numbness changes in intensity - not sore, just very very irritating !
I sleep on my left side with my hands in front - not under my head/pillow.
I gave birth (no epidural etc) in August 2007 and have not worked or used a computer (apart from occasional use at home) since then and have certainly been more active so ?!?
Maybe i'll print all these comments off and go to my Docs !!!
So glad I ain't alone - makes it somehow less scary ?!?
Hello! wellcome in the group! it sounds a good idea to take these comments to the doctors. Honestly as my numbness is getting less irritating I stoped caring about it. Once a week I do some excersice but not sure if it has anything to do with it. Good luck to you and get back with your doctors comments!!!
30 yr. old female, 3 kids, Quebec, Canada, no epidurals, I sleep many different ways, arms usually above head... I have same symptoms!  I fell down stairs 7 months ago, and I hold my baby on my left hip, I breastfeed which puts strain on back, stopped breastfeeding in lying position because it twists my back too much - doctor says I must have sprained my back muscle - referred me for massage therapy.  Started it today... still no change but I will give it a chance until my insurance runs out... cold numb tingling feeling left hand side of my back under my shoulder blade beside my spine - 2 inch by 4 inch wide area.  Comes and goes, usually when bending over or picking up something.  Sometimes when I'm just sitting it happens.  Massage therapist noticed a "bust' - she meant "bump" but she's very French... in that exact area.  She said it was caused by tension in that area not allowing blood flow through to the muscle.  We'll see.  I did get some relaxing time to myself for the first time in years though.  hahaha
When I googled for "itch on right shoulder" I landed up here.  Before coming here I visited another site

http://bogieworks.blogs.com/treppenwitz/2004/02/itching_to_tell.html

which also talks about it.  It suspects that this is a symptom of "Notalgia paraesthetica" when the nerves that provide sensation to the upper back are very susceptible to damage at the place where they emerge from the spine.  I'm planning to meet a doctor and prompt him to test for this problem.  Has any done a test on this regard?  Or any of your doctors discussed about this problem?  Please let me know more about this.
This is crazy because i thought what i had was just something unordinary or something that doesnt occur to often but i was quite wrong. i sleep, for the most part, with my knees close to my chest, in a ball if you will. I had a lower back injury during my freshmen year of soccer, I am now entering my junior year. My spot of numbness was small when it first occured but i thought nothing of it; now it is beginning to expand to my spine and bumps are now in the picture. Please let me know if someone finds a way to cure this, thank you.

hi im 23 from canada. my pain started just under 2 years ago. it used to really pinch and hurt like needles or a sharp pain. over time the pain has gone away but it still leaves me with the numb spot on my right side just under my shoulder blade as well and omg it drives me nuts like a mosquito bite the more i scratch it the more it itches. i also sleep on my right side with my arm under my pillow i do not spend extended hours on the computer and am fairly active.
I am 18 years old, I have the burning,numb,tingly feeling on my upper left side of my back below the shoulder blade. I get a sharp sting and then goes numb if I try to move it fast. I sleep diff ways all the time. I dont sit at the computer much, I play football, work out everyday and run everyday, it still does not get better. I just hurt my left shoulder the other day and i noticed the feeling has got worse. it started out my freshman year of football just a tiny really sharp pain in on spot really close to my spin, now it has moved along the rest of my upper left side and is about 5 inch patch, i have been meaning to goto the doctor but i just dont have time and they will say excerise like someone said in a diff post, but i do every day for at least 3 hours a day + football practice
Boy, was this a relief!  I thought something was relly wrong with me- it sounds like it is pretty common.  

I am a 33 year old female.  My symptom is my right side- exactly in the same spot.  Although, it doesn't itch, this tingling sensation is driving me crazy!  One thing I noticed about 4weeks before it started, was my left eye twitched for a week.  Then it stopped- the next day my right eye started twitching!  (Honestly, I can deal with the back, much better than the eyes)  I didn't notice this listed as a symptom.  Has anyone had a similiar experience?

Thanks!!!!!!  
I have been researching this for my husband today who has all of the same symptoms (numb, itchy spot, left side, under shoulder blade, comes and goes) I would really encourage everyone suffering from this to research  

Notalgia-Paraesthetica

As this seems to describe this condition.
You can start with:
http://dermnetnz.org/systemic/notalgia-paraesthetica.html

There are some medical journals out there that recommend treatment options, one of which is capsicum (the substance that makes hot peppers hot) to "over stimulate" the nerve endings.

Good luck and hope you all find some relief.
I also suffer from this numbness, only mine goes clear across my back under my shoulder blades.  I can actually feel it coming on.  It starts on the left side and works it way to the right and gets very cold in the process.  I went to my doctor and am going in for a bone scan on the 4th of August.  It also goes into my right hip and both knees.  I can't believe how many others have the same thing and nobody knows what causes it.  
My goodness, I can't believe that I am not the only one dealing with this horrible sensation that noone seems to know what it is, yet so many of us deal with it, so it's not "In Our Heads"!
I have for the past 2 yrs. experienced a "strange tingely sensation" in my back, first under my right shoulder blade area to the middle of my back. Now I have this sensation on the right side under my shoulder blad and it runs up my neck. I sure wish this would go away!
I have scratched these areas to the point of leaving a brown mark on my back and I am so tired of it. I hate that the dr.'s don't seem to have a clue what is going on.
Oh my God..., a good portion of you have most likely been abducted!    I went to bed one night & woke up with a feeling I had been "somewhere else". That day, while receiving my daily back rub from my boyfriend,  I noticed a very distinct numb area underneath my right shoulder. Little to no sensation of cold/hot or pain.  I knew right away that it was connected to the previous night. This was a year ago & since then I've had side effects such as more numbness in different areas of my back & neck. The original numb spot literally appeared over night.  There is no feeling what so ever in a melon size spot & I was never prone to back problems, strain, hypertension, ect. We may never know exactly what "they" did to us. However, it does provide comfort to know that there are so many others... spread the word

Thank you!! I thought I too was going mad.  I have the same numb tingling odd feeling under my bra strap.  It started about two weeks ago and I thought I had just slept in an odd position or something.  Has anyone yet got any clue to what this is?  Other than alien abduction :) Although I do sleep so deeply anything could happen!  I am a 29 yr old female.  I have been having visions of having lung of skin cancer.  

I had awful pelvis pain in the latter stages of pregnancy with my two year old and terrible sciatica for weeks afterwards.  I still have a painful lower spine which feels bruised if you press it.  

How can I get the Doc to take me seriously when I go next week?
I have the same symptoms.  I have a 2 month baby, right after I had her I started with the tingly in my left side right under my bra strap.  I told the doctor she couldn't figure out what it was, she said to wait and see if it goes away and on my next visit to let her know if it's still there.  If anyone knows what it is please let me know.  
Hi, I'm a 15-year old female, and I also get this tingling in my upper right back when I lean forward. However, it is constantly numb, no matter my posture.  I have had a lumbar puncture, but no serious injuries. I have read many places that this sensation can be caused by a light pinching of the nerves, and is typically not serious. Just annoying! Thanks for posting, everybody, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this!
Well, like everyone else here I am stunned to find so many with this problem.  I am a 48 yr old female and have this numb spot on my right side just under my shoulder blade to the right of my spine.  It is always numb and itches, yet when I scratch the area I feel no relief because it is numb!  Drives me nuts!  I did read this bit somewhere else on the internet today.  Hope it puts some of your minds to rest as it doesn't seem to be anything serious.  

Notalgia paresthetica is a chronic sensory neuropathy. The characteristic symptom is pruritus (itch or sensation that makes a person want to scratch) on the back, usually on the left hand side below the shoulder blade (mid to upper back). It is occasionally accompanied by pain, paresthesia (pins and needles), and/or hyperesthesia (unusual or pathologically increased sensitivity of the skin to sensory stimuli, such as pain, heat, cold, or touch), which results in a well circumscribed hyperpigmentation of a skin patch in the affected area.

The causes or origin of this condition (etiology) have not yet been completely defined.

You could read more here if you like:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notalgia_paresthetica
It sounds like alot of you have numbness on your right side and you have similar sleeping habits.  I sleep on my left side usually and I have that icy tingly feeling on my left side.  I have given birth to five chidren and have had two epidurals.  I have had this feeling for several years and the numbness seems to be getting stronger and more irritating.  I also have one toe on my left side that is numb.  Really wierd, I hope it is nothing serious.  Does anyone have numbness on their left side??
Hey, Wow I am again astounded at how many people have this! I am a 30 yo man and first got this itching sensation about 10 years ago. It started as an itch under the skin that I couldn't itch at all.. I would hit and and slap it to try to relieve it. Then it steadily started to go from an itch to a skin crawling tingly feeling. Then the numb spot developed. The same spot that all of you described, in the same spot. Sometimes it tingle sometimes it itches and sometimes it is almost uncomfortable not exactly like pain but more like a burning stretched feeling...If I can offer anyone comfort in anything it would be this...I have had it for 10 years or so and I am still alive and well! I was doing some serious hard labor when I first came down with it...12 hour days of road construction and bending and picking things up, sledge hammering or what not... I sure would like to hear a diagnosis although I dont really worry bout it anymore...

Good Luck all.....I am glad I am not alone
I have had the same condition under right shoulder blade for about 1 year now....drives me crazy if I think about it too much.  I have little scratches all over that area cuz of it.  I would like to find solution in that I am concerned about possible reduced blood flow....Any of you go to chiropractor for help?  I am going to try that until my health insurance kicks in....I was amazed to here how many of us are experiencing same problem!  There is some comfort in that (:!  I promise to post any successes...hope you all will do the same...I think I will also try some yoga poses......
I am SO glad I'm not alone. I'm 19 years old and have a 2 month old child (ya i had an epideral) this pain started a couple of weeks after I had her. Its on the left side. 2-3 inches away from spine. right by the bra. It started tingling when I bent over & now its more constant and feels as though its spreading. it has gone all the way down my back now and started on the other side. I see my dr. wed. hopefully something can be done. cuz im in pain!
I'm 30 and also have all the symptoms that everyone esle has discribed, for about 12 yrs now.  after, physio (that did nothing) and massage therapy which felt nice and am MRI it was said it was  arthritis in my neck and maybe a pinch nerve that cause this.  I did take a nerve medication for a while till I wanted another child and that was the only thing that really help.  I am back to suffering again now though, going to see about more medication.  Just to let you know I too had an epiderial and a spinnal but my symptons all occured long before.  Hope this helps.
I am a 29 year old female with some of the same symtoms (symptoms). I cant pinpoint when it started but definitely going on for a year now. It usually comes when I am working at my computer but its a numb crawling under my skin sensation. near my right shoulder blade. It isnt painful but its really annoying. It feels as if something is crawling under my skin and it moves upward toward my lower neck. Its always in that same exact spot. I also have been having numbness in my toes. Has anyone who has posted got a diagnosis for their numbness on the right shoulder blade yet?
This is amazing! 22 year old female here with the same numb tingling feeling in my right shoulder blade area. I have had it for a few months and didn't really think anything of it at first, but it recently has been itching like crazy! However, with it being numb it doesn't do much to itch it! I also sleep with my right arm under my pillow and sit in front of a computer for the majority of my day at work. I think we have found common ground on that for most of us in here... I also have TMD (slipped disk in my jaw) which has been very bad lately causing horrible pain in my neck. Thought maybe it was associated with that, but not exactly sure. Next time I see the oral surgeon I'll ask. Hope we all figure this out soon to relieve the discomfort we are all experiencing!
Ive had a tingling and numb feeling for about 6months at my right shoulder blade.  At first was a few times a week now its a few times a day.   The way i get rid of is is to gently rub it.  I dont sleep in my right side, i sleep in my left side. I am a stay am home mom, so im not at the computer very often. I am left handed, I mostly use my right arm to hold my 13mo old.  Usually i experience the feeling when i am using my arm though. (cooking, washing dishes and putting away laundry).  Id like to see a doctor, however i dont want to hear to same old thing like. You need to exercise more, or Cant find anything, theres nothing wrong with you. I can tell you it feels CREEPY.
hi all, sooooooooo glad im not going mad!! im a 24 yr old women, i also im getting this weird feeling in my bk, under bra strap on my left side, its like warm water in there or like deep heat being rubbed on, it started a few days ago, i also have had spinal block 8 weeks ago, with my 2nd child, both by c section, i also sleep with arm under pillow, but dont know if that means anything?? i have also not long started the hormone patch to stop any more babys!!!!! that made me feel itchy at first but has eased off, this feeling cums and goes, i hope it goes forever soon its really anoying, i feel for u all. i will be looking into it for all of us, please let me now if any1 finds a cure or any info on it?? xxx  i also suffer from mild epilpsy, just wondered if any1 else does, im on epilim twice daily, no fits for over a year, but maybe its conected i dont know ????
omg , so i thougth i had like lung cancer or somthing ,
could this be from smokin weed or anythign like that ?lol

i jsut randomly started getting pins and needles in my right upper back under the blade, and i get it like twice every day now!
I was totally freaked out by this. I am 20 yo, never had a child nor any accidents, back injury, epidural or any thing. I just started feeling this numb spot right at my left scapula blade about 4 hrs ago.It does not itch. I am soooo worried. I do not  have health iinsurance- are there any home made remedies for this ailment?????????
I am a 20 year old male, and I've been experiencing the same symptoms.  I have a 3-4 inch patch of numbness on my right upper back near the spine, under the shoulder blade. It became more noticeable than not about two years ago.  The only thing I can tie together here is the fact that I too sleep on my stomach with my right arm under my pillow, I worked for a roofing company doing hard labor two summers in a row (bent over most of the day, lifting and what not) and I tend to sit in a not-so ergonomical way while I play guitar on average of two hours a a day. The numb spot hasn't caused me any trouble except for the discomfort of not being able to sense anything on a part of my body, and the random itches that KILL because I cannot subside the itch by scratching a part of me I can't even "feel".  
I'm also glad to know I'm not alone. I've been afraid it may be a tumor, or some type of cancer.
I have a sebaceous-cyst on my head, it's very small and after being tested it was concluded to be benign, but after some research I learned these cysts can grow when there is cancer present in the body. But I've had it for such a long time, I cannot logically make a connection, just giving more information if anyone has a similar case.
LETS GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!
I started having this problem about 30 years ago. I was working as a bookkeeper and I started getting the pins and needles feeling on my left side, under the shoulder blade. I saw a doctor (due to the fact that it felt like some creepy bug was crawling under my shoulder blade!) Diagnosis: repetitive stress injury from this small repeated motion of flipping these small cards which I worked with. Now, 30 years later, it's still a problem. Has really hit me this week, but I've been trying some strenuous exercise after too many sedentary days. So, whether your pain/numbness/itching ever goes away (the itching is the WORST of it for me), you probably have an annoying problem but not necessarily very serious. You'd probably be better off at least seeing if a chiropractor or acupuncturist might help, instead of letting it drag on for 30 years like I have! The numb area seems to have enlarged and there is probably some nerve damage.
Crazy that soo many people have the same issue!! i have been experiencing this numbness in my entire upper back actually and the upper chest area as well as my finger tips and toes.....thats a bit more than described here, but mine has only been going on for a week so far. My doctor is clueless and just tells me to wait it out...hope someone has a solution!!!!
I'm 48, active & 3 yrs post menopause. It began as an itchy spot, under my bra strap under left shoulder blade, only a few inches from my spine.  I have small numb areas in that portion of my back.  I get a soreness, sort of like muscle soreness, but also the creepy crawly sort of...something is under my skin. I went to my Dr. today. She was great. She recently heard of a type of arthritis of the spine, that is linked to those nerves which causes the itching & the numbness.  I had mid spine x-rays taken today. She took blood just to rule out cancer, which of course was my first phobia.  She offered a RX itch cream, which my itching isn't bad enough for that...yet. She hasn't offered any other physical therapy or suppliments or anything yet since we don't know for sure, yet.  I'll keep ya'll posted.
Super weird. I have been having the same feeling for about 3 weeks now (tingling/numbness in upper right shoulder blade that comes and goes)however the more I read about everyone elses symptoms I feel like bad posture while on computer has something to do with it? Has anyone gone to doctor about this?
WOW! First time looking it up and I got this... I cannot believe how many people are dealing with this. Im so happy to know Im not the only one. Im a mother of 2, 2 epidurals, I stand all day at work and I notice that I only feel it when Im driving or sitting in a chair (Im feeling it right now at the computer) Its under my left shoulder blade always and its feels cold/numb and tingly. sometimes like a pinching sensation. Also my left leg will go to sleep at the same time too although thats rare. I sleep on my side with my arm under the pillow. Im not as worried anymore, well, unless it starts to hurt or limit me. It sounds like more of an annoyance because of bad posture {guilty} and a bad sleeping position. Im gonna try a boppy pillow. Used for breast feeding but I used it a lot for sleeping because it prevented me from sticking my arm under my pillow which stopped cricked neck pain and back pain from carrying 2 big babies. Try it guys, it just might help and for $20 bucks its worth every dime to me.
I am seventeen and im having these same symptoms. it is in the middle of my upper back between my shoulder blades it itches comstantly and is numb.. but no matter how much i scratch it doesnt help. i sleep on my side with my arm under my pillow also. i dont think this is normal at all for a person so young to be having these problems. it even bothers me in class .  ive been having this problem since i was thirteen.. i also have other back pains though.. usually in the middle in lower back that are constant and it feels like a weight is on it.. but i dont have insurance so i cant get this checked out. the numbness in my upperback feels
like needles or something. its def. not enjoyable.. i hope somone figures out what is causing these symptoms of numbness and itching. :(
Hello all- same thing here but in the left shoulder.  It's been since my fist son was born about 2 years ago.  It's gotten much worse since my second son was born about 8 months ago.  I thought maybe it was from the epidural (had one with both) or maybe even breastfeeding.  It  happens about every hour or two now, whereas before it was maybe once a day.  I'm shocked that no one has a diagnosis when it seems so prevalent.  My mother's a nurse and I asked her what she thought it was and she thought it may be related to being large chested and the extra weight up front.    I hope someone finds something out so we can all get some relief!  This is such an annoying condition...
I have the itchy/numb patch right in the middle of my upper back, almost exactly where my bra latches.  It does drive me crazy trying to scratch something that feels numb, but otherwise, it doesn't bother me.  The fact that it's right under the latching part of the bra got me thinking maybe it's a reaction to the bra?  Like my skin is becoming desensitized to block out the feeling of the metal pieces in the bra pushing against it.  I'm 49, I've had one epidural, I do sit at a computer for long periods of time, and I sleep with my head on my arm over the pillow. Anyway, interesting to know that this happens to so many others.
Hi i'm a 25 yr old male programmer and i have the same symptoms except the itch part. Anyone found the solution? Or perhaps what to tell the doctor?
I started having the freezing/burning feelings about one year ago on and off. Mine would be painful, like I had a huimp pushing my backbone out. I had to have someone push their fist into my back to ease it a bit. Now ovr the last couple weeks the skin right over the center of my backbone is so tender to the touch. Does anyone have this problem?
I have the same thing and what a shock I sleep with my arms under the pillow and leg up.  Mine is uder the left shoulder and it aches and feels fatigued constantly sometimes worse than others.  I've tried to narrow down what causes it, heels, stress, bad posture, or a bad bra but havne't been able to pin point it.  I've had it for years and I'm constantly trying to massage that area becuase it hurts and the numbness comes usually in the moring after really sore day.  I'm definetly going to try changing my sleeping habit and see how that works.  This was a helpful blog because I never knew how to desrcribe the pain or effected area but this is exactly  my problem.  
Your ribs are probably just out of place, happens to me all the time!!  Same symtoms (symptoms), just different areas depending on  which ribs.
One writer above did mention what is likely a correct diagnosis for many of these cases. It's notalgia paresthetica: http://www.visualdxhealth.com/adult/notalgiaParaesthetica.htm. My doctor said it can be caused by a heavy bookbag/purse/backpack and recommended stretching exercises.
I woke up this morning with the same problem. I was hopng that I just slept on my back wrong and that are was still "asleep". But a few hours later and it's still there. I took a hot bath and rubbed some vicks on it, which felt nice, but the numbness is still there.

Mine is underneath my left shoulder blade. I also sit at my computer for like 6-8 hours a day (probably more) and my posture isn't that good. I also have Scoliosis and my spine curves to the left.

It certainly looks like we all have a form of Notalgia paresthetica but there doesn't seem to be any definite cure yet. It looks like a botox injection works for some time, but I'd like to hear from others here who may have tried that before even thinking about it.

Also so far no itching, but it is early and I imagine that's something that will happen soon enough.

Thanks,

Michael
i have the same things but not the itch or burn.. just feels like novocaine has been shot into my back... i sleep on my right with the same arm position.
at first i thought it was my feet or chest... because i have horrible shoes.. and bad posture...

i also have a B12 deficiency.. it can effect the nervous system.. makes your hands and feet tingle too.. has anyone had their B12 levels tested??
Just want to post what my itchy, spasmy shoulder blade turned into. I first had that stupid itch on the bottom left shoulder blade, then after a few months, my right blade started to spasm. After about 2 years of this, all of a sudden one morning, both hands felt like they had been smashed in a door. The pain turned to tingling and off and on deep pain in the hands and fingers. The final straw was waking one morning (after almost 3 years of this) with severe arm pain with neck pain on the side all the way up to my ear. The shoulder blade was hurting also.
Dr sent me for an MRI which revealed cervical degenerative disc disease and 3 bulging discs and some bone spurring on c7. There is some compartment narrowing on the 7.
I did all the conservative treatments and am scheduled for surgery June 30th. The pain has become severe to me. I am having C7 removed and a bone graft put in.
I can't wait (hoping) to ditch this pain. This is no way to live!
Wow, I have the same thing happening.  Numb, tingley, itching but hurts when I scratch it on the left side under shoulder blade and goes around to the breast. Very bothersom.  Have had for 3+ weeks now and like everyone else, I sleep on my right side with arm under my pillow.  If anyone finds out cause, please post.  I am curious if the B12 has anything to do with it?  Thank you to all who posted.
This has to be a common ailment after seeing how many people have it. After visiting a chiropractor for two visits for a sore stiff neck which I dealt with for about a year I started to get this numbness near the bottom of my left shoulder blade. I also get the burning, tingling pain in this area several times a day, and yes it occurs if I sit at a computer for a few minutes.  The chirocpractor sessions made the stiff sore neck and headaches go away, but seemingly with the tradeoff of this weird muscle problem. I like to sleep on my right side with my right arm under the right side of my head with perhaps a portion of pillow between, but I can often sleep on the opposite side in the same position. I am very physically active backcountry skiing at least 60 times a years, often carrying a 20-25 pound pack, which I suspect may have something to do with it.  The chiropractor gave me some stretching exercise for the muscles in my neck which connect to the shoulder blades.  I am thinking this may be a similar ailment to planter facitis in the heels.  Whatever, it has definitely become a bothersome thing, but when I'm skiing and doing the active things I forget about the pain.  I'm 58 and thought it was just another creepy aging symtom, but I see quite a number of young people suffering from this.
I just now googled this after having it for about 3 yrs. 40 yr/old male. Im an Audio tech. Very physical job. Sometimes, however, I sit in place for a long time doing wire terminations. This is when it bothers me the most. Wife thinks Im crazy. Only partially because of weird numb, itchy spot on my right shoulder blade.
I am a 39 year old male.  I follow all of the same sleep patterns as all above and have been experiencing the same symptoms for about 2 years now.  I notice that the itching sensation comes on during the day as any tension builds in my back muscles. The osteopath I visit tells me that I am pinching nerves when I get tense which is causing the itching and strange numbness that goes with it.  If you scratch at the itch it will only become worse as you are increasing the blood flow in the capillaries around the area and also you are scratching much harder as the general area is numb.  I also read a theory that it is lactic acid pooling in the muscles due to tension spasms.  I find that the best treatment is using microwave warmable grain filled pillows on the affected area.  These are available from most pharmacies and health stores, they can also be used after being stored in the freezer if you find this works better for you.  I have several and sometimes combine hot and cold treatments which is really nice to cure the itchiness.
WHAT MAKES THE ITCHING/BURNING SENSATION WORSE FOR YOU??

WHEN I SNEEZE OR COUGH HARD IT TRIGGERS THE ITCHING AND BURNING> IS IT BECAUSE A MUSCLE IN MY UPPER BACK IS BEING PULLED????
I read in the post above that Guaifenesin can make this happen.  Guaifenesin is found in many medications similar to Mucinex that thins the mucus in your bronchial tubes.  

I started taking Mucinex DM because of chest congestion about 4 days ago... which is exactly when this sensation started happening.  Its actually happening right now as I type this.

Beneath my right shoulder blade, about 2 inches from my spine, this feeling occurs.  It feels like something is touching me (like a shirt) even when I don't have a shirt on.
take a few weeks off your computers!! This is the cause to your neck and back pain... i go on  2wice a week and my neck/back are not tingling and are not as  spore :)
I had this sensation about a week ago now. One way mine goes away is if I arch my back. So I sit straight up when I'm on my computer. It is only when I'm hunched over that I can feel this. I'll go to the doctor soon... hopefully and post back. Also I took 2-3 pills of alieve for my headache about a week ago which thins your blood. Maybe and probably these two combined must have been enough to not supply my nerves with enough blood and therefore caused this ****. I also have TMJ a stiff jaw. God I love my body... good luck all
I must admit there is some solace in seeing that I am not alone in this. 4 or 5 years ago I experienced a "frozen shoulder" only to be told it was common in middle age women such as myself and that it would eventually resolve itself which thankfully it did with my partner's massages every second day or so. About 2 years ago the "itch" you all speak of started... and continues... with little relief except from the massages and occasional accupunture (with cupping) and of course hot packs.  At first it was so annoying that I had an xray which revealed an old crush fracture probably from a severe car accident as a child (pre-seat belt days) now presenting itself as some nerve damage.  For me it serves as a reminder of my survival, that I am alive and a good scratch several times a day is not that bad really.
And yes I sleep with my arm up under the pillow.
I'm a sixteen year old female and I started having this feeling about two months ago. I get plenty of exercise, but I do stare at the comuter alot. I sleep with my right urm under me. I would love any suggestions to make it stop, since it is distracting in school.
(fyi i'm 22/F never had kids, no drugs/meds, cpl car accidents but none serious, sleep on right side with arm under pillow)

while reading all of these comments i started thinking back to when it started for me. i've always had bad posture when i was in school and had back problems since i could remember. personally, i don't think sleep positions mean much, other than stiff necks/backs, but it doesn't explain the numbness next to the spine/blade, which is pretty vital imo. when i started yoga over a year ago is probably when the itch began, but i'm not really sure, i just assume since i always seem to hurt myself from it. the numb spot.. been years.
i think it's dead nerves.. like carpal tunnel from repetitive strain, but without pain.. and on the back. the itchiness still isn't explained tho! is it really not possible for nerves to try to repair themselves? like an itchy scab healing itself??
i don't want to waste my money to see a doc who will just tell me to buy itching cream....
but i'm glad to know i'm not alone. gl to u all! =]
hey.. going off my theory i just found this, looking up 'can nerves heal themselves'

http://www.ehow.com/how_5016956_heal-nerve-damage.html

i like this part especially..
_______________________
Step 4

Get B vitamins. The only way to actually regenerate the myelin sheath surrounding damaged nerves is to give the body the nutrients it needs to do so. This means B vitamins, especially B1 and B12. It's fairly difficult to get large doses of these vitamins into the bloodstream, however, because they are water soluble and flushed out easily. Fat soluble forms are much more effective, but harder to find.
________________________

which supports what was said by kris_tin

*breathes* hope this helps some!
I also had an epidural about 9 months ago for my baby and it started right after that. Very strange. Right side about three inches from shoulder blade. Seems to come and go when I am standing funny doing house work or not sitting the right way. Very annoying.
Wow! I didnt think anyone else would have this problem too. I dont hve any shoulder pain or anything, it just started tingling one day. I asked a doctor friend of mine and she said it might be a pinched nerve or something. And i dont happen to sleep with my arm under the pillow.
im back! i wanted to add that im active all day and i have basketball for 2 hrs every day and i sleep on my left side ( the tingling is on the right )
I have had the same problem for almost 10 years, from age 14 to 23.  The discomfort is located on my left shoulder blade.  It hurts, it tingles, it's numb, it's uncomfortable, it's uber annoying (though it never itches).  Sometimes it goes away for a few months, but it always comes back.  No doctor has ever been able to figure it out, and I even went to physical therapy for it for over a year when I was 16.  I have just learned to live with it.  
I'm only 18 (female) and I have the same probelms
I feel like I have a tingly, chilling, heavy feeling and I scratch it and it is numb.. it is below my left shloulder blade
It is so irritating!
I sleep on either my left or right side with my arm under the pillow. I also sit at a computer all day in college and at a till at work
I am going seeing the doctor tomorrow I will let you know what she says! :)
I'll comment back ASAP!
Hope you're all ok! x
I am so surprised I just randomly decided to google 'numbness in shoulder blade' because if ever I have asked the doctor or asked anyone else if they have ever had the same sensation they look at me like I am mad. My numbness has been in my left shoulder blade and I have had it for about 2 years. It is often itchy but always numb, sometimes it becomes more numb. It is just helpful to come across this forum and see that so many people have this same sensation. I will try some of the suggestions to do with sleep etc. Hope it gets better for you all x
Like everyone here, I'm amazed to see I am not the only one.

I kept thinking I'd been bitten or stung, and it feels like a small semi-itchy sunburn on my left shoulderblade (both upper and middle blade area). Sometimes it's just tingly.

Rarely my neck where it attaches to my back and upper arm itches a bit, too, but I suspect this is a result of itching the general area and causing a histhamine response (thus women who report bumps after itching, that would be expected).

This began only AFTER an epidural and vaginal birth.

I highly suspect this issue has to do with some sort of nerve compression/stimulation in the area - for example, those who sit or sleep with posture that affects this, or for those who have had epidurals or accidents.

I find it strange there have been no case studies, or even strange "House" episodes about this!

It's clearly neurological, and a good recommendation/my thoughts would be to have a doctor do an EEG and/or something with the spine measuring electrical activity.

If anyone tries this, let me know.

i think i may know what this is, although mine is not itchy..there's just a weird feeling underneath my shoulderblade & whatever on my right side. Bottom point is, ive had it for about 3-4 months now, and im pretty sure its because of the way we are sleeping. I too, usually sleep with my right arm underneath my pillow, but lately ive been trying to sleep in different positions, like flat on my back, and i havent been feeling this weird tingly sensation. So im almost positive its from they way we are sleeping..or even to much activity with our right arms. So try different sleeping positions. GOOD LUCK :)
I HAVE A CURE!!! I've had this for several years under my left shoulder blade... it feels like someone is pushing their fingers deep and painfully into one single spot under that blade... have any of you been to a good chiropractor? It helps!!!

I had it for two years and kept getting deep tissue massages (I'm a runner and thought it was because I was tensing my shoulders on long runs). And it would help for a day or two. Until I finally saw a chiropractor and he said that two of my vertebraes were off and it was causing tons of pressure under my shoulder and around that rib cage (I had noticed that when I sleep on my side, my chest feels off and kinda clicks a bit too). After a handful of different cracks, I felt like a HUGE weight had been lifted. He warned that I should do physical therapy bc what happened was your muscles build up around this misalignment and so your bones/vertebraes naturally actually want to go back to their off position bc that's what their used to. I didn't do the PT and sure enough after about 4-6 months, I'm off again. So its a process but it actually provided considerable relief for a relatively substaintial time so I truy believe this is what's causing my pain and hopefully this will work for a lot of you all...

Hope you can all be cured in 2010. Happy new year!
I too have been suffering from this tingely, itchy numbness just under my left shoulder blade about an inch and a half from my spine.  I thought I was going crazy!  I am 6 1/2 months pregnant and figured that it was just a weird symptom or poor circulation due to the weight gain from the baby but after reading all of your stories, I see that I am not alone!  I did have an epidural w/ my last child and I also spend all day in front of a computer at work and sleep w/ my arm under my pillow on my side!
I guess it's a combination of things? Well I'm just relieved that it seems to be a common occurance and I'm not alone!
I am going to print this out and show it to my fiance who I complain to all the time and he probably thinks I'm crazy! lol
Good luck to all! ;)
I had a back injury back in February. The doctors found that I ended up with 3 slipped disks, the muscles around my spine tore, and my nerves became damaged from the disks. So I have constant problems with my legs and arms and neck. Another thing I noticed lately is that I started getting a numb tingly stinging feeling under my left shoulderblade by my spine. Sometimes I get the same feeling in my lower back over my spine. It comes and goes all day. I don't sleep with my hand under my pillow. I find that sometimes when I lay down on my back on the floor the feeling goes away. Or if I get my boyfriend to massage the area it slowly goes away for a short period of time. I've been going to the physiotherapist for awhile now and she claims that it's something that won't ever go away, same with the pain I experience in my spine. It really ***** though since I'm only 23 years old.
I have the same problem, very cold & tingling feeling under right shoulder blade & left side of back. Dr looked @ me like i was weird. but i have noticed that if Ive been on my feet allday that's when it starts.
Hi all, this is insane. I have the exact same thing except on my left side (numb, tingly patch just underneath my left shoulder blade), I also sleep with my left arm underneath my pillow cradling my head. I'm in college and we do a lot of work on computers and I'm an internet addict so I easily spend hours at at time on the pc at home too. So is it incorrect posture that's causing this?
I have all the same symptoms...numbness, tingley feeling, like ants crawling on my back in that spot.  My doctor prescribed Lyrica --but I hate this med.  I am not a med. person anyway, but not liking it at all.  Weird, spaced out feeling.  Anyone else on this med for this --and does it help?  I have been on it a month - still there.  Not worth taking it I think......
I am 65 and have had 3 spinals, sleep with my hand under my cheek, spend way too much time at the computer, plus I just a month ago had a bad fall onto my back.  So I match everyone also.  BUT I HAVE FOUND WHAT WORKS TO GET RID OF THE ITCH  AND TINGLE.  READY??  My opinion.  This is caused by pressure  on nerves between vertebra.  Do this:  When it is bothering you enough for you to want to scratch it, just curl up toward your chest and round up the spine as much as you can and hold it a little while, stretching the spine as much as possible.  The sensation stops for me every time.  I think I will patent this movement or at least name it after me, like a Heideman hug.  "The Harris Hunch."  This may do nothing for you but at least it doesn't cost anything in time or money.  If it works for you, spread the word to all the suffering. And post your outcome here.
i have the same tingle numbness feeling in riht side under my shoulder blade it has been there a couple of years but has now went from a small spot to a circle about 10 to 12 inches i to sleep on my side with arm under the pillow never had any operation on spine and im rarley ever at the computer i work 12 hour days as a diesel mechanic im always streched in some acward position
17 year old male omaha ne. i recently passed out in my car after drinking and now after going to the hospital there is a numb feeling in my right shoulder blade that is really scary , i pintch it or scratch it and i cant feel it , its been like this for three days now and i dont know what to do , theres swealing in my neck and it hurts when i turn my head
Amazing! I was astonished to read how many people out there are experiencing this symptom, and not to say there has not yet been a health remedy to correct, I haven't heard of one. I brought this up to my MD about six months ago and he suggested I start treating it as though I have reflux. I've experienced reflux and sharp pain between my shoulder blades that will send the toughest of men crying home to momma, but this symptom is different alltogether.

I don't really favor sleeping one way or other, but will say my experience with this "itchy/cold/hot/burning/numb" below the right shoulder blade started only one year ago. I noticed it soon after starting a new workout training regime with a personal trainer and just thought it was overextension or perhaps pinched nerve. Have had numerous chiro treatments - I suffer from lower back displacement of the coccyx, congenitally and was in serious motor vehicle accident about 16 years ago. I suffered a broken neck (T1,T2, and T7), plus fractured back and thought maybe it was delayed effects, but have not confirmed with my old neurologist. In either case, it did not help nor even reduce it. I get mine no matter what I'm doing, whether sitting here at work on my computer, working at home in my yard or just sitting watching tv/reading a book. I find myself getting up often and stretching to help reduce the pain, but that is only temp. Have taken anti-inflamatories, advil, motrin. Nothing really seems to do the trick. I'm at the point of considering asking my doctor for an order to have MRI.

If anyone finds possible diagnosis for this, please do post or you can e-mail me at, ***@****.

Thanks for the posts. It helped to read everyone's comments.

Im 21, female. I've never had an epidural or anything like it nor have I been in any accidents. Last year I found out I have scoliosis a 15 degree bent. At that time I slept on my stomach with my arm under the pillow. But for the last year I have been sleeping on my back. I noticed shortly after going to the chiropractor this numb feeling in the left corner of my right shoulder blade. I worried a little about it but ignored it because I cant afford any kind of treatment right now. The numbing only came and went every now and then it wasn't constant. two days ago I woke up with the whole upper right side of my back sore, it felt almost like an overworked muscle but I didn't do anything that strenuous. Today I woke up and now there is a severe pain in one part of my back, the left corner of my right shoulder blade. It is very painful and warm to the touch.so now Im not sure what to do. I cant really afford to do anything but if this is serious I can find a way. If anyone has got to a doctor and found something out please say so.  
Hi al,
I had my diagnosis. Been suffering from numb patch on my mid spine for a years time.
creeping, crawling, tingling sensations and all what you explain.

MRI Showed a narrowing of my spinal cnanal with osteophyes and a rigths sided disc protrusion. A have a small spinal cord injury due to this. The nerves are damaged due to the long term pressure.

My advice: HAVE AN MRI THIS WILL CONFIRIM YOUR SPINAL CONDITION!

Has any one else had a thoracic mri???
It would be great to hear your MRI results to compare.

All the best
Joanne

I am 66yrs old and started to learn the guitar approx 2yrs ago, this year I have tingling in my left hand, fingers and up my arm, my left arm also aches as  if I have nbeen lifting something. I strum with my laft hand and th eother night the tips of my fingers were tingling as I played, like an electric shock, could this be the metal guitar strings and the electric in my body?
I just started getting this tingly feeling just like all of you. I'm kinda nervous about it : /
I am seventeen years old and I also have the back numbness. It is on the right side of my back on the right shoulder blade. It is constantly numb, it does not stop at all. It randomly started about 2 weeks ago. I usually sleep on my left side with my arms in front of my or on my back with my hands on my stomach. It itches quite a bit, but gets a burning sensation when I scratch it, almost like scratching a sunburn. I do sit forward a lot, curling my back instead of sitting straight up. I do yoga twice a week, though. There are no marks anywhere on my back. A few years ago, I flipped a quad while going around a corner and it landed on my back. I had to go to the doctor for a minor back problem. About one and a half months ago, I had a stiff neck, Torticollis, for almost a week.

Any of these incidents could be the reason for the back numbness. If anyone knows anything about back numbness, please let me know.
I have the same symptoms, had it about a year or two. 43 years old, too much time on computer, mechanics and teaching part time. Just out of interest, how many thoracic vertebrae do you all have? Did you ever count them? Does anyone else get a lot of clicking from the shoulder blade area. I am always clicking and popping to straighten my neck and upper thoracic .
Hi, I am 28yrs old, female. I have a tingly, itchy cold/numb patch on the left side of my upper back, just under my shoulder blade. It's really itchy and bothersome, I do sleep with my hand under my pillow. I am hypothyroid, I saw someone else posted that. I have had 2 epidurals, a spinal tap, and a blood patch (which is similar to a spinal tap). I also have sinus issues and have taken some mucinex but very little, I have been told I could have sleep apnea due to my sinus issues, though I am not overweight. I have had this for a while now, but recently its gotten REALLY bad, I can't stand the itch. I see some mentioned Fibromyalgia and Notalgia paresthetica. It's so annoying, please post if you get diagnosed, thank you.
I have an area on my back left side right in between lower left shoulder blade and spine. At first it just felt like my back was dirty. And it itches like crazy! It feels like a bunch of organisms crawling around in one spot. My daughter has been scrubbing my back for me trying to help. When she scrubs my back I don't feel it for about 12 hours and then it comes back. I dont see anything on my skin, but I'm going to have my daughter examine my back closely to see if she can see anything. Due to how many people are saying they have this, I'm really starting to get scared. Also the crawly feeling is going to the right side of my spine, but same area as the left side.
Has any of you had a thoracic or cervical MRI ? what was the results?

Your spinetis where to find the reason for your numb/ itchy/ crawling sensations.
Hi Everyone.  I want to join the club.  I'm a 31 year old female and I just started to notice this sensation in my right shoulder blade a couple weeks ago.  I have a desk job and sit in a horrible posture for 8 hours a day.  Like so many others, I too sleep on my right side with my hand under my pillow.  I have been taking yoga class for the past 4 months so I'm surprised that this has just started to happen now.  I have also been biking to work for the past several weeks.  My symptoms are the same as the rest of you - a weird tingly/numb sensation at the base of my right shoulder blade a couple of inches from my spine.  It feels like something in my shirt is rubbing the skin.  Today it got irritating enough to do a Google search and I stumbled on to all of you lovely people.

Just wanted to be included so when the medical journal does a story on this I can be counted :)

I guess it's time to correct the way I sleep, correct the way I sit at a computer and maybe find a job that doesn't involve hours a day sitting at a computer.
I'm a 16 year old female and I have been having a tingling/crawling sensation right next to my left shoulder blade. It has been happening for quite a few months and I have been worried that there could be something wrong with me. But it seems like so many people have a similar problem.. so hopefully it's not serous. Perhaps it just has something to simply do with nerves. But I do spend a lot of time on the computer so maybe that has to do with it.
Thank goodness I'm not the only one!  I too sleep on my stomach with my arms under the pillow.  Also sit at a computer all day.  I know that my pillow is not appropriate for a stomch sleeper and my mattress is sagging and very uncomfortable.  

Maybe we all just need new pillows and better mattresses with proper support.  I've heard the medium density pillows and a "plus" mattress is good for stomach sleepers.  You want a semifirm mattress.  Ugh...good mattresses are so expensive too.  
Oh, I meant to say "PLUSH" mattress....lol...sorry
Hey guys im a 15 year old male. I just started getting this weird numb feeling on my left bak and no matter what my posture is, it wont go away until like a while later. I do have bad sitting and standing posture beause i tend to slouch and i dont know if that might be a reason to it. I dont sleep with my arm under my pillow, i tend to sleep on my side and stomach. I crack my neck a lot if it is stiff too. Any comparisons or any suggestions??
I am a 48 yr old female, with the same numb/tingly feeling just below by right shoulder blade on the back.  Nothing I do seems to relieve it and I have not been able to pinpoint exactly when it starts and stops, and  it continues to be annoying.  I did invest in a Tempurpedic Bed and the Pillow and still have these symptoms, although I no longer sleep on my arm under the pillow.
I have a numb feeling and tingly also, not so much itchy, when I sit and my posture is bad that spot goes numb. Really annoying. Must be nerve damage or something, I also sleep in weird positions. That could be cause. I stand all day at my job(8-13 hours) Maybe I stand with more weight on one foot too.???????? Not sure. When I bend over and extend my arms...in the same spot I have a lump on the right side of my back, Maybe knots,??????? I was bending over and my girlfriend noticed that my back was higher on one side. This is freaking me out!!! Any thoughts?
I also have the back tingling on my right side. I will admit i'm a mild hypochondriac and have been diagnosed with chronic Mono and possibly some form of autoimmune disorder (yet undetermined but i go to the immunologist soon) If it helps i found these as potential causes...although again guys, i'm a hypochondriac so please take these with a grain of salt

1. Alcoholism
2. Back injuries
3. Common cold
4. Diabetes
5. Hereditary neuropathy with liability to pressure palsies
6. Hypocalcemia
7. Multiple Sclerosis
8. Partial seizure
9. Peripheral neuropathy
10. Sciatica
I am a 40-year-old Indian male, who had undergone pacemaker surgery in the last November. I have hypothyrodism, and take thyroxine sodium for that.  moreover, take statin, aspirin and clonazepam. For near about, one month,  I have started to have this strange feeling just below my right shoulder.  It is like some thing is there, a strange pattern of numbness, a slight burning, tingling etc.  I have observed that whenever I put my palm over that area, it stops momentarily.  it is not a constant feeling, comes and goes.  I did a lot of walking per day, and found no improvement. I searched google, on tingling sensation, and it came up with multiple sclerosis. It is a dangerous disease, so really afraid.  I have not set an appointment with doctor till now, If anybody have done it, and have exactly the same symptom, please post the doctor's  comment.  Thank you in advance.  
I'm so relieved to find this chat forum, puts my mind at rest! I thought I was dying of some serious illness or about to have a heart attack! I have been having this feeling on and off for the past week. I was washing my hands and my left collar bone cracked like you wouldn't believe! I've also had an epidural, suffered sciatica whilst pregnant and been seing a chiropractor since having my baby 6 months ago. it starts the minute I'm mobile in my left side, just beside my spine under my shoulder blade, can then move across to the right and then my lower back muscles ache. It feels cold and tingly and like loads of needles are being put in the muscle in sucession. What's also interesting is I've had acupuncture. The pain is going up my neck too. Thank goodness I'm not the only person in the world suffering this!! Thank you x
Im 18 years old and Ive been experiencing the same symptoms as pretty much everyone else ( Numbness under shoulder blade, slight pain and definate discomfort, only its under my left shoulder blade not my right ). I first noticed it roughly a year ago when I started working landscaping. Throughout the winter it went away when I wasn't working, and now that I've started working again which involves me standing a lot and lifting heavy objects, its come back and is alot worse. Im planning on going to a physiotherapist or chiropractor, hopefully it gets better because Im getting sick of taking advil to numb the pain.
Hey, I'm a 29 yr old female with 4 boys (thus 4 epidurals), and I have the same type of numbness/tinglyness/itching just to the inside of my left shoulder blade, but not quite at the spine.

Highly annoying and sometimes pretty painful. The area itself is numb, but if my shirt or my hand rubs against it, it hurts. If I push on it, I dont feel anything.... but just touching it is painful.

I don't recall exactly when it started... I want to say about 4 months ago. My youngest son is 6 months old, so maybe it is tied to the epidural somehow...?
I might have a GOOD NEWS for everyone who has been suffering from the same thing including myself. I started feeling numbness/tinglyness/itching/dragging pressure since 6 years ago.  I'd like to share with all of you about the method that has been giving me some temporary relief and my finding about what might be causing us this hardship!

Like most of us, I've been seen by numerous doctors and specialists and done x-rays and MRIs yet still no answer on what is going on! Today, I decided to search in the Chinese Medical Practice for answer then I found one doctor's website about "THOROCIC OUTLET SYNDROME" (The English name was given on his website). Symptoms include neck, shoulder, and arm pain, numbness, or impaired circulation to the extremities ( I crossed checked it on www.Medicinenet.com).  

The chinese doctor says Patients would describe the pain is intense,acute and lie deep beneath muscles yet unable to pinpoint the exact pain location. ALSO, he says, other musulcar area, chest & MUSCLE UNDER SHOULDER BLADE......ETC can cause similar syndrome even with no obvious numbiness on arms/fingers.  TREATMENT: Patients can try to relief symptons by doing some stretching exercises AND/OR doing some nerves blocking injection.

I also want to share with you another method that I've been using for temporary relief. (Normally I could get by without those annoying feelings for a month or 2 after massage) Because I've been suffering for such a long period, I could pinpoint where the numbness and pain locate below my shoulder blade.

For my case, I've been getting help from my husband and my mom.
(1) I have to make the problem area to "surface" by self-embracing.  Sit on a solid-surface chair (not sofa), embrace myself across my chests tight. My problem area is on my left side, so I first embrace my right arm across my chests,  then my left arms across my chests touching the back on my shoulder and on my top of my right arms,
(2) Blend forward until my embracing arm touches my legs and hold this position for the entire massage.  
(3) I give direction (up, down, right, left) to my husband (or my mom) to find the problem spot.  When they find it, use only Thumb (only thumb works for me) to rub with pressure in one direction from the center of your back out and downward along the shoulder blade curve OR apply pressure at a particular point and doing circular motion without thumb leaving that point.  Note: The pressure used should not be too strong (it might cause injuire)

(4) Massage until I wanted them to stop (I never wanted them to!) Warning:  your skin and muscle will be sored the next day but it is always normal after any type of massages.  Pain should normally go away after a day or 2.  

I also like them using a little baby oil or massage oil so that it minimum the fraction between thumbs and skin and the person providing massage will not feel as tired (longer massage time =P).  But ensure to treat your massager very nicely afterward because it is a very exhausted job for their thumbs with or without using oil.

Below are the 2 links that I read today:
English One:
http://www.medicinenet.com/thoracic_outlet_syndrome/article.htm

Chinese One (Scroll down the page, it teaches exercise in English)
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/drchen888168/article?mid=799&prev=816&next=769&l=f&fid=5

Hope everything I wrote would be of any help to you!
I have a numb, "fuzzy" feeling that comes intermittently on the left upper back, just three inches from shoulder blade. It feels like something is there but there is nothing there. I also get slight arm pain on the upper left arm, top side in the same general area, above the albow, but not as far reaching as the bicep. I first thought I was having angina and heart attack. Got bloodwork,chest X-Ray, EKG, and $1400 bill, all showed normal. Have been to a neuro muscular massage specialist three times and this helps. Stretching upward with both arms as far as they can go until my upper left spine/back makes a pop seems to help. At this point it seems nerve related, and gets worse with stress, anxiety, too much alcohol or caffeine. I also sleep on the right side, arm under pillow. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
It's called Notalgia paraesthetica.  I have it too.  I tried describing it to my doctor, who didn't know what it is.  I found this through internet searching; thanks to all here who've posted, I realized that it really is something many of us are dealing with, and that it probably has a name.  I think it's something covered in dermatology, although I'd never of thought to go to a dermatologist about what seemed to be neurological . . .
IT'S STRESS that been built up and ended up on that area... lot of movement im guessing....the pain gets more and more intents when stress level rises.... Only my opinion only =)  aMaybe we all need to have a very good massage more often... like is should be required....like a health law...  lol im rambling sorry
I'm a 30 yr old latina woman and I just started feeling this yesterday.  We bought my father in law a chair massager and I used it for about 30 minutes on my whole back.  Hours later as I am walking with my husband I felt something like a sting on my upper left back (in between shoulder blade and spine).  I really thought something was stinging me!  I rubbed the area and then it turned into a burning sensation.  My husband looked at my back and stated he could see nothing.  This morning that area is now feeling numb however I have a spot that feels very tender to the touch.  It's like a sore feeling.  I'm thinking it's what all of you are describing.  I did see the comments on "Notalgia Paresthetica" and "guafenesin".  I am currently trying to get over a cold and all I have left is a cough so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.  Thank you to all for posting...it really makes me feel better (just a little bit) that I'm not the only one :-)
I'm 28, had a spinal tap when I was just weeks old but no epidurals, etc.  I've had this problem for as long as I can remember, literally all 28 years of my life - maybe it is somehow connected to spinals/epidruals!  I always figured it was because I was overweight (as all doctors attributed every illness/injury to that), but it wasn't that bothersome. I never get anything checked out unless its super important.  

However, since I started running about a year ago and lost 60 pounds, its actually gotten worse.  Its now painful in addition to the numbness for the first time in my life. It gets worse when I stand for long periods of time, and I'm about to start a new job where I do that a lot...I'm scared!  I dont think my personal condition is the notalgia Paraesthetica, because my main complaint is the numbness and pain, not itching. I'm without insurance right now, so I don't want to get it checked out, plus I hate to waste so much on tests - like so many of you - only to be told "Oh, we don't know whats wrong".  If I go in for an MRI, I expect a diagnosis! :)

I'm going to try to massage suggested by the previous poster - serious stretching and really pushing my shoulders up to stretch the spine does seem to provide a tiny bit of relief.  
Update: the massaging made it worse.  I did it right before bed, and I could still feel the pain and was aware of the surface numbness when I woke up, which isn't typical.  I won't be trying that again!
I am an 18 year old female. I am overweight, which might add to this. I looked for a tingling feeling under shoulder blade and got this. I stay bent over a computer all day, preferring my right side. I sleep on my stomach with my right arm under my pillow. So when I noticed a lot of people do the same things, I figured those were the reason. There is absolutely nothing, though, that I can do to ease it! I don't really have anyone that can give me a massage. Its under my right shoulder blade and its a numb, tingling, ITCHING sensation that drives me crazy. It doesn't hurt, though, so thats good. But I really wish I could do that massage suggestion a few posts above mine. That sounds like it would help alot. Grrr. Lol.
Okay, I have had the SAME thing as you all. I couldn't find the words to describe it til I came here....Perfect description people. To the guy with the cyst. If you read this I too had a syst removed when i was 18 to be learned it was nothing serious or cancerous. I have one on my ear that showed up the 2nd night i felt this sensation. but i have had a few in my life. I just pop them if i can and they go away. That same 2nd night it happened i remember sitting weirdly on my stomach/side with my right arm under the pillow in a very uncomfortable position... another thing to note is a take adderall (adderrall), an amphetamine for ADD, and I smoke. Sometimes use recreational drugs too. Mostly pain killers. I have the pain on my left side an it spreads from there. At first i thought it might have something to do with some of my bad habits but when i came here it seems we all share a similar thing. Most of us sleep in the same position, and I too spend at LEAST 8 hours a day sloped in a computer chair 5 days a week for 3 years now. It has only happened to me twice so far. once last week, and once last night. Both times it kept me from falling asleep. its the weirdest most annoying feeling EVER. And to the cyst guy. Lets talk, i also worry about the cancer thing. I have had multiple cysts but never go in anymore and just been poppin em for many years.
I wonder if people who are right handed tend to have this pain on the left and people who are left handed tend to have this pain on the right?  I wonder because people probably stretch more to one side when doing just about anything with their bodies. So if they are right handed, strain would go to, or come from the left side while doing something like reaching.  And if they are left handed, strain from the right.....I am right handed and I have the same stinging, burning, numing, itching, sore feeling, pain, etc., with no obvious marks, bruises, knots etc. in my upper left side back, between my shoulder blade and spine.  For me, the stinging is the worst!!  I can take the pain and whatnot, and the rest isn't really affecting me too much, only the stinging sensation is really bothering me!!  It feels like I'm being stung by a TON of bees at the same time!!  Not like being poked by a bunch of needles, but actually being stung by MANY bees/wasps in the same area, and getting the feeling you get when their stinger peirces your skin and the venom gets under your skin and makes the area hot/numb/sore but 100x's worse.  I haven't gotten the best posture either as many others also stated, and I used to spend alot of time on the computer, but not as much as of late.  Plus I have a natural slight slouch which never caused any problems besides me looking like I am not sitting up straight enough.  I don't have any children, never gave birth, never had an epidural, or any kind of spinal surgery, let alone something of this magnitude affect my back like this has/does.

I been working a new job for about 3 months now and I rarely lift anything at all above 5-10 pounds, if ever even that.  I'm a cashier and work over 40 hours a week in 4 days.  I also stand all day, do a lot of bending, and sweeping, with very little to no sitting or long breaks.  I also sleep the same ways that most others stated.  And since this has happend to my back (((2nd time this month, 1st time was begining of this month for a week or so, and 2nd time now currently on day 4)))  I have not made any changes to my regular sleeping habits or posistions.  Even while at home, I have not done any strenuous house work, lifting, or other activities, etc.

The only thing I can think of that started my back up is the job i have, and what, and how I do it, like sweeping for instance.  My job is like a farmers market which sells produce, and it has a garden center where people can buy plants/flowers, so dirt is always being tracked into the main building, therefore I am constantly sweeping.  I have to wonder if it's my sweeping habits and how I lean/strain to one side while doing it that has caused a strain, or a nerve to become loose, and or get compressed a certain way?  Sweeping is the only thing I've been doing the past couple months that's been done in repetition on a daily basis. Before I worked this current job, I was out of work for 8-9+ months and didn't do much of anything but rest and relax pretty much every day.  I also wonder if being idle for a period of time and then going back to different work than I was doing before set me up for having this back problem?  

Anyway, the only thing that has helped me a tad bit is a muscle rub that's like icy~hot, doing full body stretches/curls (arms, legs, back), and also while in the shower, standing with my back to the jetty of hot water and letting it fall down on my back for a couple minutes which is very soothing and relaxing.  I'll be going to my doctor in a few days and I am curious to see what she will say about what is happening, what causes(ed) it, and what more can be done for this to hopefully go away completely!  Will try and post a response after I see my doctor later.  I wish everyone luck in finding out what's wrong with you, and finding something that works to either ease or get rid of what is ailing you!!
Well mentally I sure feel better after reading all the posts.My numbness started one morning when I woke up with a very intense burning (hot poker) sensation between my spine and right shoulder blade. When the burning subsided I discovered the numbness and soreness in the muscles underneath. Funny, I can feel the shower on it but it is numb to scratch. Had it for nearly a month now so guess I better man up and talk to the Doc about it. Thanks for all the info everyone!!!
Exact same symptoms. 20 year old male, except mine is on the left side and numbness also under my left armpit (lat muscle)
been for a xray... Was in a mild car accident a few months ago. Will keep you all posted
Hello everyone, i too have exactly the same problem. Came on here as i was wondering what was wrong or if it could be something more serious. i sleep on my front also with my left arm under pillow and my numbness is just under my left shoulderblade.....glad its not just me
30 year old F - have had these feelings since high school, totally annoying. In doing some research and also working as a CNA i have found that if people are prone to herpes zoster virus (gets cold sore frequestly) this could be a sign that you have the herpes virus (not the STD, but maybe) This could be a form of shingles which does come from the virus that is in your body. there may or may not be visual signs on the outside of the skin. I do not have anything on the skin that is visible. Dr also stated it could be from weight gain.... All I know that this is the most annoying thing I deal with every day and I want it to stop. I have it in both shoulder blades on each side and just recently started on the right! PS: I too sleep like you all!!
Hi everyone

I have had this crawling, tingling sensation just under my left shoulder blade now for a few months. I have to agree with Spychab, I think it's related to the Herpes Zoster, or Shingles, Virus. I had shingles a few years ago on the right side, and it started the same way, but eventually developed into sores and was extremely painful. The virus lives dormant in your system if you have had chicken pox and at times of stress and anxiety will manifest along the nerve line, normally only on one side of the body. I think mine may be a low grade version as it's not developed into anything and isn't painful, just annoying.  Have the rest of you with this symptom had chicken pox?

I sleep on my stomach or side like most of you, but spend only a few hours a day at the computer, I am in the car a lot for my job also when I am working as I only work part time.

I am going to try accupuncture and see if that helps as it's driving me crazy.

good luck to you all.

ps. glad I'm not the only one.
Ive NEVER had chicken pox...im 39 years old & really cant pinpoint when the tingling feeling started...but its on my left side on my shoulder usually right where my bra strap lies. sometimes it feels sore like if i put anything on it such as clothing...it will rub raw! but thats not the case. Its so weird that the majority of the complaints on here come from women with a few men thrown in. its very annoying and hopefully if someone gets results from a product or answers from their dr's they wont hesitate to post. I was really scared it was like melonoma or some sort of cancer...the amount of people who suffer from this is amazing!
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a bit of information that might help some of you.  I too have had symptoms similar to most here. (Mostly due to pinched nerves.)
One of the main things that will help those of you who sleep on your stomachs...is....DON'T!  I used to always sleep on my stomach or side...but apparently that is really, really bad for your back (according to my physio..who is brilliant.)  If you have a problem with rolling over when you sleep, put a tennis ball in a pocket in the front of your nightwear...you won't have to use this for long...for you'll eventually break the habit.
Also, for anyone who experiences numbness of your arms whilst sleeping...or gets tingling in your fingers as well as feeling excessively tired and cold....PLEASE get your thyroid checked (and your iron levels.)  Don't let your Dr put you off having this done...as if it is a thyroid prob. it can be easily fixed....and the sooner the better....before you do too much damage to your body and put on all the extra pounds.  I had to go through 3 doctors before I would get one who would "listen" to me. I had classic hypothyroid symptoms...but because I was also getting overweight, I found that no-one was listening and, unfortunately, I hadn't heard of hypothyroidism at the time. (Other symptoms can include: cracked corners of your mouth, split/damaged nails and brittle/dry hair - as well as feeling depressed.) I have been on thyroxine tablets now, for about 8 years and I feel like I got my life back - the difference has been absolutely amazing.

The reason I checked out this site was that I have recently been getting a cold patch on my left upper back, just under my shoulder blade.  I too sleep with an arm under my pillow...so I guess it's....back to physio to see if she has an answer and then back to Dr...to get thyroid & iron levels rechecked. :)

Best wishes to you all and I hope this helps someone.
Hey Everyone,

I too landed here from Google. Male 35 Alaska. Numb feeling between shoulder blade and bad posture that I consciously correct continuously.

- I dont sleep with arm under pillow, but alway on my side or stomach.
- I spend too much time in front of a computer 8-10 hours
- I dont exercise anymore, but walking around with my newborn son becomes painful after about 45 minutes.

So this is what I did and have seen small improvements:

- I started exercising lightly, landscaping in the garden daily
- Decreased time in front of computer
- Take a break every 20 minutes and walk around the house

Dont know what else to try... Hope this helps
i have been having similar problems where it feels like a tingling sensation underneath my right shoulder blade. it has been affecting me for over a year and i believe it might have something to do with a lack of muscle tissues holding my shoulder blade in place properly as it moves around much more freely compared to my left shoulder blade which is a lot more firm and in place and never gets this tingling sensation. hope this helps and hope someone can take this information into account on further conclusions. take care all
id just like to add that i never got into sports growing up and have always played a lot of video games and sit on the computer quite a bit of my day. i do however try to exercise and work out as much as possible but still have not seen a solid improvement in my situation
i'm a 17 year old female. & i've had this problem only on my right shoulder blade. i thought i had skin cancer or something (because that's what my dad said) :| , because i lay in the tanning bed. anyways, yeah i have the whole numb spot that itches. but i do not sleep on my stomach. i sleep on my back & sides. i just want to know if this is serious, & if i need to go to the doctor about it. i'm freaked out because of this & super annoyed.
I found a cure/diagnosis!!!

I have read your posts a few times while trying to resolve my numbness and tingling on my left and right shoulder blades. It started when I was breast feeding, mostly as pain and then progressed to numbness on my entire back from neck to lumbar. It seemed to be a little better or worse depending on the day with no rhyme or reason. I went to the doctor, no conclusive results, recommended stretching and muscle relaxers and possibly a medication to repair nerve damage. Didn't really help although I didn't keep up with the stretching. I decided to try a chiropractor as a last resort because I was convinced I had MS or some other serious disease of the nervous system. I saw the chiropractor for almost two months, (who stated that numbness was very unusual and not a normal reaction of the muscles) and the numbness has almost completely gone away. My chiropractor suspected something like a bulged disc, which is really common in younger adults and can happen at any time. You should read up on bulged disc, it usually goes away on its own and is treated like a sports injury. This would explain why it is increased while bending forward. I think the key to my healing was I tied the numbness with specific movements and activities and was able to stop the numbness and tingling/itching by moving my back side to side or resting my arms on my legs and relaxing my shoulders. If I raised my right arm in a certain position my left shoulder blade would start to tingle. When I lowered it, it stopped, this was about a month into chiropractic treatment. When I would feel the numbness starting I would stop and relax the muscles, and then one day, about a week later to that realization, the numbness went away almost completely. I still have it a little, but only if I really pay attention. I really hope this helps. It appears to be a very common injury, and can be diagnosed with an MRI, but may not be necessary if you just stretch, take warm baths, seek out chiropractic care if possible and try to pinpoint the activities that spark the feeling. Rest, Rest, Rest seemed to do the trick on the muscles. Anxiety, caffeine and strain seemed to aggravate the issue as well as cause muscle twitching in my arms and shoulders.

Thanks for sharing your stories, it made me feel so much better. Good luck to all of you seeking to end this really annoying issue.
I have this to! Interesting to hear others put up with it! My numb sensation is a couple of inches below the left shoulderblade and an inch or so away from the middle of my back. I work at a computer all day and sleep on my left side with my hand under the pillow. - Went to the doctor with this and he seemed to think it was a skin condition and gave me some cream (this didn't work!). I tend to just put up with it but every now and again I get a dull ache which takes a couple of days to clear. I seem to think it's caused by posture as it generally comes on through fatigue??

your comments would be useful?
ive been experiancing a tingly sensation while i breastfeed my daughter, it starts at base of my neck and travels down my shoulder and arms, i sleep on my back or my side, also had epidural and spinal block last one was nearly 9 weeks ago. this is getting really annoying now, i also have trouble with my hands had carpel tunnel, tendinitis (sp) and now the muscles are wasting away losing strenth in both hands they also get numb.. imtrying to sit up straight but very hard when you sat feeding a lot and are tired, also get it when im lay down feeding so not sure what to make of it..
Hi everybody! I'm a 26 y/o male RN and now a new dad(13 days ago).  I don't have the answer!!!!! But I may have some helpful info., tips, and tricks...I have the pain, numbness, and tingles but NO itching on the right shoulder blade to one inch below & inward towards the spine. I sleep on both sides back and forth as the right causes pain over time. I have ADHD, take Aderall, take vitamin B-12 which helps with the numbness and tingling but doesn't remove it. My feet and hands get tingly when cold and are icy all the time in the winter; which ***** because I always have to her that 'Cold hands warm heart' B.S. from all my patients each winter. J/K, really...but still annoying when you have this for as long as I have. I lift patients all the time so I thought this might be the cause. I also was told by clueless doctors to do stretches, have not taken other meds for it besides 800mg motrin every eight hours. I can tell if I miss a dose. Even with stretching I feel this hot poker in between my shoulder blade & spine. Have muscle spasms in both shoulders but worse in right from time to time. Stress makes it worse, but worst is caffiene. Do not take caffeine as it will increase the numbness and is a potent vasoconstrictor so it will cause tightening to the area, decrease blood flow that will heal it, and make the muscles more excitable there. Also, no cold compresses people. Cold is only good for the early onset of tissue damage to decrease the IGM response by the immune system supressing mast cells from secreting histamine which causes increased blood flow to an injury which we can realize by the typical swelling to the said area. Heat will help most of the time. I do know that letting this pain go is not wise because after pain has been sensed in an area for huge amounts of time, the nervous system secretes a hormone known commonly as "Substance P". When released this substance stimulates growth of nerve cells from the affected pain area since it is overloaded with stimulous from those previously involved nerves. What results are new nerves that can only sense pain and increases the pain sensation long after the injury and physical problem that caused the pain have been remedied. The only thing to do that will permanently work at this point is having the nerves burned at a pain clinic. Shots/blocks only prevent the pain until they wake up and also this is bad because if you DO have an injury you could damage the area worse since you have no sensation to the area that is frozen-i e you cold move in ways not friendly to our lovely anatomy and injure the area involved even worse. Regardless of knowing all this I still have the pain and am as clueless as you all, and- btw-doctors mean well but they usually suck and thats just that...any good nurse would tell you that. The reason they only help you when you've seen them five times for the same problem is beacuse 1) you have annoyed them enough and telling you to wait it out and let me know how it is in 6 weeks has become more work than actually doing there job that your insurance pays them amptly at each visit; 2) they are starting to look like an idiot and even if they are one they realize it at this point and no doctor likes to have their ego injured; 3) you may have brought in info at previous visits that made them look up if you might have been right and now they will listen to you (after they have verified this on wikipedia), 4) your problems got worse and they may fear a law suit if they don't get an MRI, and most importantly 5) you've simply paid them enough in insurance to have them check this out or write you a consult and pass you on the specialist who may actually help you. Sorry to sound so bleak; and don't get me wrong I like doctors sometimes but they are people just like you and me; so yeah their are fallible, they aren't medical dieties, and they can be morons.
19 year old female. i have had this for over a year now. i sleep on my stomach and both arms under my pillow or in front of me. it feels like ants crawling on my back and it has been coming back more frequently. about 5 times a day and it drives me crazy. it usually lasts for about 30 to 45 minutes. and goes away for maybe an hour. i dont know what it is and i think i should see a doctor. but seeing as how it is so common, maybe it might not be such a bad thing.
I'm a medical student, so I was naturally petrified that I had something terrible when I started to get numbness and tingling (sometimes followed by muscle pain/soreness) between my spine and lower left shoulder blade. As for itchiness, I guess that comes and goes; I don't really scratch it but find that sometimes when I press on the spot it makes it feel better.

Mainly, the thing that makes it worse is leaning forward (which I do a lot when I'm studying or on the computer which make up 90% of my time when I'm awake). I first started to really notice it when I would lean forward standing and washing dishes about 8 months ago. Laying flat or sitting up straight usually makes it go away pretty quickly. What I've found that has made it much, much worse is STRESS. I've been extremely stressed recently and I can't stand for more than a few minutes without it starting to tingle. After it tingles for a while the muscles start to feel sore. Advil usually helps, but I wouldn't recommend taking any NSAIDS for a long period of time. I'm hoping this recent flair up goes away after my exams because it's really quite annoying.

I just wanted to see if others experienced the same thing: the symptoms come on when leaning forward (washing dishes, driving a car, sitting at a computer, reading a book at a desk) and are alleviated by straightening your back? Anatomically this is consistent with thoracic vertebral problem, but I don't what.
i have the same thing numbness in shoulder blade itchy and feels kind of sunburned ..... i went to the doctor he said it is muscle spasms and to exercise more to strengthen the muscle
Hey fellow numb-patchers!
I'm a 28yo M Medical Student - and from the first post i read, it was as if they were reading my mind. the numbness in a patch-like shape, the strange tingling/burning/not-really-pain-but-difficult-to-put-into-words-like feeling... I've had my "numb patch" for going on 7years or so and all I can remember is possibly one time about a year before the onset, when I was still in college, I jumped under a low ceiling and hit my head and felt a shock-wave go down my spine - no pain or problems after, but about a year or so later i began having this numb spot begin, and then enlarge, and this was the only thing I could associate it to... I went to one orthopedic doctor for a possible MRI but he made me feel like an idiot/hypochondriac and refused the MRI until I did this this and this and paid him this this this and this = i couldn't afford his crap even w/ insurance and so I gave up. Recently, I agree, stressful situations definitely seem to provoke it - around exam time, too much caffeine, anxiety in general, etc. but it never fully goes away, the numbness that is, and I wonder sometimes if I have a pinched-nerve in a very unlucky/unfortunate area - scary area of the cervical spine that could leave me paralyzed if I ever did have some surgery or something to help fix it... it can really be debilitating on severe days just before an exam to the point I can't even move... it *****. I wish the first doc would've taken me serious so I couldve just got a stupid MRI just to put me at ease that I did damage my spine, or cause some sort of spinal stenosis - narrowing of the skeletal foreman (opening) for the spinal roots exits/entries out of the spine itself... at least i'm not a lone and no one seems to have had too much trouble except an annoying persistent numbing nuisance on your back!
Anyone w. any feedback it would be appreciated!
Go see a Dermatologist...this is a very common skin/nerve issue and can be successfully treated either with a topical cream, like Zostrix, or, if necessary with a Cortizone injection.  

I thought I had something horrible (skin cancer!) or else I was crazy.  My Dr. knew the exactly
what I was talking about....
I've had the same symptom between the shoulder blade and spine for about 8 months.  I've traced it back to a severe sprain 8 years ago coupled with fused neck vertebrae and torn shoulder cartilage.  There was a LARGE and PAINFUL spasm in the muscles between the spine and right shoulder until physical therapy and massage therapy worked it out.  That was a year ago.  Now I have the  cool, tingly, numb feeling in the muscles around the shoulder blade.   I've started exercising those muscles with light weight resistance like a thera-band.  After a couple weeks of exercise, the cold numb feeling isn't as intense but is still noticeable.  I'll continue the exercise and give an update in a couple weeks.  I use heated pads and even ice and alternate every day.  Ice reduces swelling and pain while the heat brings in blood to the are and loosens the muscle.  Then I get weekly massages.  That's what I do to relieve my pain and numbness since the MDs doesn't know what to do other than pills and a cortisone shot.  I'll update on the exercise soon.
I have read a majority of your posts and I have come to the conclusion that some may be suffering from Notalgia-Paresthetica, however even though it explains a lot of the symptoms, it misses one important symptom that almost everyone has mentioned, and that is numbness. So I did some investigating and I have found that some of you may be suffering from a pinched nerve in the shoulder or even neck area. I found this website http://**************.com/2010/06/18/pinched-nerve-in-shoulder/ and It mentions numbness, tingling, pins and needles, and pain (sharp or burning) as symptoms. It gives a new look on a possible diagnosis for some who are struggling to figure out what is wrong with them. I suffer from the same symptoms and I would like to figure out why my shoulder bothers me. I am not a doctor, and I cannot be sure that this is even what is happening to you, but please check out the website, cause it might help. :] Have a great day!!
I can't believe I stumbled across so many people with similar symptoms!

My case -

I am a 24 year old female.
I sleep on my side (I don't favour left or right, just whatever ends up being comfortable that night) with one leg raised. I never, ever sleep on my stomach as I find it incredibly uncomfortable, and I rarely sleep on my back as I have trouble falling asleep. I keep a pillow under my raised leg as a habit, to put less pressure on my hips. I don't sleep with one arm under my pillow, and I don't have them raised over my face which would cause numbness in the arm.

On my back about 2 inches under my left shoulderblade (the area is central between my spine and the side of my body) I keep getting a feeling of numbness/tingling about the size of a palm of a hand. It's not painful, not itchy, there's no feeling of pressure or tightness which I would then relate to strain on a muscle. It started about 3 days ago and has been building in frequency. I have it right now and have been feeling it for the better part of an hour.

I have not had any back related injuries, have not had a child, have not had anything done to my spine or back medically. I sit at my computer maybe 1-2 hours per day if that, as I work in retail for 8.5 hours a day 5 days a week which does not involve strenuous lifting. I exercise fairly frequently, just jogging/running with stretches prior and after excersising.

There is no visible marks on my back, not itchy bites, sunburn, rashes, moles - nothing!

This patch sits under the base strap of my bra, and originally I thought my bra was too tight. However, I find this is not the case since it occurs when I am in my pj's and bra-less.

The numbness is only irritating to me, and maybe I'm becoming more paranoid as it goes on that there is a serious condition. However, I am currently happy to think it is perhaps a pinched nerve. I think if it continues any longer than a week then i will have to get it seen to.

It's somewhat of a relief to find other people with these symptoms - at least it's not a figment of my imagination. If anyone finds an answer to these problems please post back on here!

=)

I found this site googling 'tingling shoulder blade'. I'm a little surprised by the number of people who have the same problem as me!

For me, the tingling started about a month ago, and since then it seems like it has gotten worse. I sleep on my side (both right and left) in the fetal position, and my hands/arms are out in front of me (not under a pillow or my head).

I am a 16-year-old female and the tingling is on my left shoulder blade about 2-3 inches away from my spine. I have moderate scoliosis, so I thought maybe it had something to do with this? (The tingling is on the shoulder blade that protrudes out more.)

Also, I tend to spend a lot of time at the computer everyday doing homework (it's my junior year, so I get quite a bit). Sometimes I sit hunched over the screen a little. Maybe this has something to do with it as well?

The sensation isn't painful or anything, but it is very aggravating. I plan on asking my orthopedic doctor about it at my next appointment, but any comments addressing my problems would be greatly appreciated!
are you still having this has anyone diagnosed you with any thing? just curious cause i feel exactly the same way!
I have the same. Been reading through all these posts in the hope of finding out what this tingling, aching, itching feeling is and a hope of some cure?
Im 26yo M and too get it when driving, sweeping, and after sat at my comp reading all this. I have no rash or visable sign.
So far CURES include, REDUCE TIME SITTING OR BENT OVER, STREACHES, LIGHT EXERCISES AND VITAMIN B1 AND B12 to rebuild nerve endings.
Anyone have any real evidence of a cure?
This problem is caused by pinched nerves, all one must do to fix it is to sit up straight when seated and sleep on stomach or back completely flat, weight training exercises will also help.
I have this burning sensation about 3 inches down and 3 inches over from my neck bone on the right side of my body,  below my right shoulder blade, plus, my left hand keeps "falling asleep" during the day if I hold the newspaper to long, or hold the phone to my ear, or for no reason at all, plus it wakes me up numerous times through out the night. I sleep either on left or right side, or on stomach. I have to lay flat on back with my hands at my sides to relieve the asleep feeling when it wakes me up.

A heating pad seems to help the burning neck sensation, at least for a while along with an Aleive  every 12 hour. I am left handed, but I use my right to control the computer mouse.

Any ideas?
I have this problem as well as numbness in my right hand and arm, especially when I wake up in the morning, most of my symptoms are on the right but the left sometimes joins in the fun. I have previously been diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and didn't realize the two may be connected. Here is what a website mentioned in a previous post (http://www.medicinenet.com/thoracic_outlet_syndrome/article.htm) said:

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome At A Glance

* Thoracic outlet syndrome is a condition whereby symptoms are produced from compression of nerves or blood vessels, or both, because of an inadequate passageway through an area (thoracic outlet) between the base of the neck and the armpit.
    * Symptoms include neck, shoulder, and arm pain, numbness, or impaired circulation to the extremities (causing discoloration).
    * Diagnosis of thoracic outlet syndrome is suggested by the symptoms and physical findings and is sometimes supported by electrical and/or radiology tests.
    * Treatment of thoracic outlet syndrome usually involves physical-therapy exercises and avoiding certain prolonged positions of the shoulder.

The other website the previous poster mentioned was: http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/drchen888168/article?mid=799&prev=816&next=769&l=f&fid=5

It is mostly in Chinese, but here are the stretches it teaches in English:

• Scalene stretch: This stretches the neck muscles that attach to your ribs. Sitting in an upright position, clasp both hands behind your back, lower your left shoulder, and tilt your head toward the right. Hold this position for 15 to 30 seconds and then come back to the starting position. Lower your right shoulder and tilt your head toward the left until you feel a stretch. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times on each side.
• Pectoralis stretch: Stand in a doorway or corner with both arms on the wall slightly above your head. Slowly lean forward until you feel a stretch in the front of your shoulders. Hold 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times.
• Scapular squeezes: While sitting or standing with your arms by your sides, squeeze your shoulder blades together and hold for 5 seconds. Do 3 sets of 10.
• Thoracic extension: While sitting in a chair, clasp both arms behind your head. Gently arch backward and look up toward the ceiling. Repeat 10 times. Do this several times per day.
• Arm slides on wall: Sit or stand against a wall with your elbows and wrists against the wall. Slowly slide your arms upward as high as you can while keeping your elbows and wrists against the wall. Do 3 sets of 10.
I am a male, and I'll be 29 next month. I am not overweight or out of shape, but I have been pretty lazy this winter. I have the same symptoms as many above; numbness in my left shoulder blade, right where the blade comes to a point. I've only had it since yesterday. It does not hurt at all, just a weird feeling like a shirt rubbing on your skin, but it's not from the shirt. I sleep on my stomach with my either one of my arms under it and have for many years, though recently I have not been sleeping on my stomach which is unusual for me.

I did, however, just a couple of days ago, shovel 30"+ of snow off of my giant driveway which I have not had to do for years. My snow blower broke early on in the 10 hour day of shoveling and this was a record breaking, blizzard amount of snow. The next 2 days, of course, my back was all tight and sore as I had expected, but yesterday I began feeling this weird tingle everyone has described. I would say it is definitely a muscle/nerve issue. I imagine stretching and sleeping in a good position would be a good idea to try to prevent or possibly cure this feeling.

I have had many weird feelings and pains over the years from muscles alone. I once stopped a heavy machine from falling off of a truck bed and pulled a muscle in my back. It was pretty sore instantly, but the next day I felt paralyzed and in immense pain. I thought perhaps it was a slipped disc or a severely pinched nerve, so I went to the hospital and got X-Rayed only to find nothing at all wrong. They simply told me I must have a pulled muscle and gave me muscle relaxers. I was in terrible crippling pain for about 3 or 4 days and it began to get better until it completely went away within 1 1/2 weeks. I learned that day though, that muscles and nerves can be easy to injure and painful to endure.  

Since then I have had many strange pains in my chest, side, back, arms, neck and legs. Every time I began to wonder what it is, I think back about what I did in the past few days and I remember "Oh yeah, I was golfing, or swimming, kite surfing, shoveling or something like that. Certain activities you may not have done in some time cause weird muscle pains in strange places that you do not initially expect. Hope this info helps. Good luck to all
These are called triggerpoints, they refer to different area's in the body and can cause all sorts of symptoms.  See your local Massage Therapist as they are trained to treat them.  Sometimes you can feel a bump or lump close to where you are feeling your symptoms, try pressing on it and you will be able to reproduce the symptoms.  If the knot or trigger point is worked out your symptoms will subside.  Poor posture, sleep positions or work related tasks are usually what cause trigger points.
I have had this problem for years!

TREATMENT is very easy! All you need is acupuncture! (cupping) where the blood is extracted.. its a VERY VERY simple and painless procedure.

I had it done in the UK. If you want me to hook you up with that achpuncutrist drop me an email on ***@****
i have been feeling similar things for around 8 months now. i have been extremely worried about it thinking it may be something really bad. it is a sort of numb/tingly/swollen feeling in my upper left back below the shoulder blade. at first it was occasional but now it is constant. doesn't hurt but is extremely annoying and uncomfortable. i would say it feels like my t shirt is stuck to my back even though it isn't. one thing i would say is that i did break my left collar bone 3 years ago, don't know if this relates to the problem just glad to hear of others who know how i feel. does anyone else have the t shirt feeling?
27 yr old male with same issue

I realize most won't even consider this, but I believe this condition has to do with your "energy body".  I too get this feeling especially when I am leaning forward in front of a computer screen.  We are under constant barrage of electromagnetics from TV and computer screens, cell phones.  Our Auras are growing and the Earth's inner spin is increasing, this causes increased stress on our weak spots in our energy body.  

Stretching, acupuncture and cupping should help.  Sitting not so close to the screens and taking time away from the computer help.  Also, wearing of gem crystals such as diamond, spinel, garnet, all the quartz and topaz, beryls and corundums are supposed help reflect unnatural energies.  Also precious metals such as gold strengthen the Aura.

You're not alone,  I've had blood work that came back fine.  For further reading on this, check this out:

http://www.earth-keeper.com/EKnews_3-7-2010.htm
Its just crazy when you see how many other people have the same odd symptoms as you do.  Im so glad there are discussions like this.
I am 30 year old female, couple kids, minimal computer/sitting time, active but not too gung-ho about it,  having the weird 'shirt rubbing across sunburn' feeling with constant numbness in a credit card sized area in between right shoulder blade and spine.  I dont have any bumps or patches or anything.  Im just relieved to know that no one has come back saying that it is anything too serious =)  I'll try the better posture and stretching and all that good stuff and will be keeping up with everyone else's progress.  
I am a 28 yr. old female who has had this problem for almost a year since  around May 2010.  I generally favor my right side and sleep on my arms, though I also favor sleeping on my stomach.  I fractured my T-12 when I was 18 in a car accident, damaged my T-11 and contused my L-1 four years ago.  I just had a baby in January and had a spinal for the surgery.  By June of last year I went in to see my Dr. who diagnosed me with Onset Bronchial Neuritis, as the numbness caused some deviations down my right arm and I was unable to lift my arm up for 3 days straight. The day after my Dr. visit I found out that I was 2 months pregnant.  The sensation increased over my pregnancy and now occurs most often when I breast feed.  I don't mind it so much except that I cannot "itch" the cold scratchy sensation while I am breast feeding and at other times it feels as though someone is jabbing a lit cigarette into my shoulder.  When I spoke to my OB about this, she suggested that I find a neurologist and run some tests- especially given the fact that Onset Brachial Neuritis is degenerative and there is no "fix it" for it, just medications to coat the symptoms as they get worse. Hope this helps.  
Oh my gosh! i have this same problem! it's a tingling sensation almost like my shoulder blade has fallen asleep! it's like pins and needles on my back! it's awful and sooo annoying! i also sleep with my right arm underneath my head. i've done it since i was really little (it was the only way to get me to stop sucking my thumb) and ever since it's a habit! i thought i was just going crazy because everyone in my family had no idea what it was or what to do but ignore it! if anyone finds anything out about it please please let me know!
its funny that i am looking through all these comments and nobody has found out what is wrong with them.  I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow, and was thinking about telling her of my numbness on my left upper back about the circumference of a tennis ball. And now I just want to take my computer and let her read that this is a REAL problem for quite alot of people.  Good luck to all of us and I hope we at least find out what is going on.  
Me, too, for about a year and a half now.  Numb, crawly feeling about 1-2" inches above bra strap, 1-2" to right of spine.  Sometimes nerve prickles, going around to side of right boob.  Sometimes numb precisely on right half of spine.  Very disconcerting but I think I found the solution!  I tend to fall asleep on the couch while watching TV a lot.  I've noticed this tends to make the symptoms much worse.  My bed wasn't much better UNTIL I bought a 4" tempurpedic-style foam topper for my mattress - problem solved after 4 nights, but recurs if I sleep on the couch.  I too am one to sleep with my arm under the pillow, and do sit at a computer all day long.  Seems the mattress topper works!   Maybe it's the right support?
This is SO weird. I googled "tingly numb feeling on back" and this was the first thing to pop up. Ditto to EVERYTHING. It's like under my right shoulderblade, and I sleep in all different positions but sometimes I sleep on my side/stomach with my arm under the pillow. How would that have caused it? I've never been in any accidents, had any epidurals, etc. The only thing is that I had very slight scoliosis as an adolescent but I don't think that has anything to do with this.
hello i have had tingling numb feeling on right upper back at shouder blade its really annoying doc has me on gabapentin andvoltarol for three weeks to see if this helps if not i will be referred,its driving me nuts as i have no idea what it is? i will keep you posted on outcome,i have had a spinal few years back and 2 epidurals which didnt work a year ago maybe thats the prob whatever it is a pray its not serious,it comes and goes i have read stress can do this,i must admit i have been depressed since baby which is now being treated.good luck to everyone who has this hopefully it will go away soon.xx
I have three crushed vertebrae in the base of my spine and disc damage as the result of an accident in 2003.  I get referred pain all over, especially in my legs, and about two years ago the tingling/numbness started in my middle to upper back.  At first it was between my shoulder blades and felt like a label in my clothing was rubbing.  It soon moved to the left shoulder blade and covers quite a large area.  I've always just put it down to referred pain, yet another pinched nerve, and recently mentioned it at a hospital check-up with spinal triage.  The consultant just acknowledged the fact as typical to my condition.  While many posters here have commented that they sit for hours at PCs, etc, mine comes on when I've been doing intensive exercise.  
I too googled this as it is driving me crazy.  It is a real tingly/numb feeling in my upper right shoulder right under the shoulder blade. It doesn't itch though.  I spend all day on the computer and find that if I start slumping a bit that is when it kicks in.  I also sleep on my stomach with my arm under my pillow....I figured I hurt it lifting weights and it will just go away, although I've had it for some months now.  Thanks to everyone for posting and their advice!
GOING ON 3 YRS OF PEOPLE COMMENTING THIS DISCUSSION! Female,21 had this for the past 2 months.  I who never was invovled in a car accident, sometimes sleeps with my arm under my pillow, has a job that requires me to sit in front of a computer(started 3 mnths ago), has slight scoliosis, and a righty HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. I saw a comment to take a MRI and see whats going on under the tissue which i might look into.  FOR ME: its not a pain but a annoyance, its under my left shoulder blade and it feels like  ants walking on it, needles pokeing at it, like its going to "sleep"(when u cut the blood circulation on ur hand, the tiggling feeling you feel; same on back) <- this is why i changed my bar with no pressure on back because i thought maybe something was cutting off circulation as well, BUT NO HELP.   this is a UNKOWN DIAGNOSIS!!!  scary but DOCTORS needs to look into it.. : /   hopefulllyy the disgnosis will come out.
Hey,
have the exact SAME symptoms that all of you have mentioned....pretty weird! Im 18, female and spend most of my time sitting in front of a computer at college(similar to what a few of you mentioned)....Ive had the same itchy/tingly/numb/strange/vibrating almost sensation on a small part of my back, on one side, near the spine. Ive felt this a few months ago, but thought nothing of it, but in the last month/few weeks, its came on stronger then ever, coming on/off through out the day. Things like Sneezing seems to be setting it of Oh also when i step out of a hot shower. But ive realised that the only thing thats different from these past few weeks, compared to when i first noticed it, is my STRESS level. Stress seems to be the key of what brings it on more aggressively. Never painful though, just strange and irritating!!!!  
I am 50, female. I have been searching for a long time for an answer to this tingling/burnning-cold/itchey/numb/sometimes stabbing - symptom set on own, but to no avail. Finally kindred spirits! --My issues are the same, have asked the doctors, but havn't been able to afford specialists. My symtoms (symptoms) started in 2002. I was working for a ad circular, so was at the computer 8 to 14 hours a day depending on how close the deadline was. I also hit my head on the doorframe of my boyfriends van which knocked a shockwave down my spine a few weeks prior to it's onset. I assumed it might be a pinched nerve.
It was just an annoyance for a while, but I think it is evolving into something more. About 2 yrs after it started I got numbness down my left leg, arm, and into my face, that only comes on when I have been at the computer for long periods, or sitting forward, dishes, and other activities that require my arms to be in front of my body, for more than a couple hours. About 4 or 5 years ago I started noticing a crawling feeling under my left rib cage, that occured as a result of the same posture positions. The crawling feeling has changed since then to being painful, I thought it was my spleen, or the bend in my bowel near my spleen. But I'm beginning to wonder if it might be the pinched nerve now effecting internal organs, and muscles. Last year my chiropractor found a small spur in one of the openings between my vertabra, so I could be damaging a whole bunch of nerves.
I have found streches to be helpful, if I don't over do them, and back/core strenthining exercises help the pain in the left front.
I never used to sleep on my stomach, but started a few years ago, but have since changed to my back. I cannot sleep with my arm under my waist on either side, so usually I have to lay on my back. I really want to know what the heck is going on.
I am really discouraged, that a doctor or someone hasn't picked up on this yet, especially since there are so many people with the same issues.
May God Bless Us All!!
Its an implant everyone lol. ive had it for nearly 3 years now and it has progressed its numb to the touch but has a lingering burn sensation I sensed it while I was laying down with people in the room I was paralyzed and couldnt talk to tell anyone that something is near me. But since then ive felt what everyone is talking about. Im left handed and its on my leftside. And hey by back has been radiating lots of heat so who knows.
Hi. im 26 mum of 2. i have that sensation like you all. it is a mix of tingling and numbnes in one. Few month ago was more on one side of my back, now is on the other.or even sometimes feels on both.i get pain in my nees when im driving mostly. i sleep mostly with my arms up on my back.or on my stomake with arm under the pillow. shurely that is some thing to do with our sleaping position.. i hope. July 19got an appointment and will see what the neurologist will tell me..
ill be back withe results xx
2011
dsfg
in order to relieve the pain behind the right shoulder blade take these steps:
relax your shoudlers
breath deeply in and out
and try to do stuff to keep your mind of it.
and the key thing is to relax. relaxaion is key
Viewing 1-200 comments: