confused

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

confused

Hi my last period was 26th of january im 9 days late, took a pregnancy test this afternoon but was negative. Was it negative because i didnt take it first thing in the morning? please help
It's possible, but it's possible you're not pregnant. Home pregnancy tests react to at least a specific amount of the hormone HCG, so if the urine is too dilute it will give you a false negative. So I suggest taking another test with your first morning urine, just to double check. Another thing is it takes a few weeks for the hormone to get into your blood system, so even if the morning one is negative, if it's been less than 3 weeks it's still possible you're pregnant.

That being said, many, many thing can cause period delays or absence so I suggest that if this happens ask talk to your gyn. You may need a blood test as well as a check up to make sure that nothing is wrong.
Pregnancy test kits are basically qualitative kind of test which just tests presence of hCG hormone in the urine of pregnant woman because this hormone is only produced during pregnancy among women. But this pregnancy test depends upon the particular level of hCG in the blood. So sometime it may be possible that it can give you false negative results during early days of pregnancy only because of un- sufficient level of hCG to make test positive. So it is important to get serum HCG test done which is more specific than urine for pregnancy test.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.