Women's Health Community
could changes in my period have to do with a vegan diet?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

could changes in my period have to do with a vegan diet?

since i've become a vegan, my periods have become very infrequent (maybe once every 3 or 4 months), my cramps have COMPLETELY gone away, in fact i basically feel no side affects whatsoever now, and also the duration of my period has gone from 5-7 days to like 2-3 days. now this seems like it's all wonderful news for me!  i used to get the most awful cramps, now nothing.  i love it.  but does this sound dangerous?  i know i'm not iron deficient, i just gave blood and i checked out fine, my blood pressure is a little low but it's fine the nurse said.  and i take b12 supplements (when i remember to) and i always eat plenty of lentils or beans, tofu, tempeh, seitan, nuts and seeds, etc, so i know i'm getting plenty of protein.  does this seem dangerous?  what are the long term consequences of not getting ones period regularly?

also the other day i started to notice a brown discharge that kind of looks like it could be my period, but since i don't get any pms symptoms anymore i'm not sure, but normally it's not that brown.  could it just be old blood, since i haven't had it in 2-3 months at this point?