cramps and pressure after Endometrial Ablation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hello. i just had the Endometrial Ablation, Novasure done on thursday the 2nd, and I still have pain, pressure, and cramps. I barely bled afterwards. I was wondering if this was normal. i have alot of pain, pressure, and cramps. shouldn't i have more bleeding after this? i was told i would. Please can somebody help me? If someone can i would be so grateful. thank you
To add to my thread, my doctor also did a D & C. I've never had one done, so its all new to me. If anyone can help it would be great.
I just posted a question asking if anyone has ever had the NovaSure procedure done...doesn't sound like yours went well?  Are you feeling better now?  Why did you also have a D&C?
i'm feeling better now. its been alittle over 3 weeks since the novasure was done. i went to my doctor and he said everything was fine. i still have a some cramps but they are not something i cant deal with. i had a little spotting but so far everything is doing ok. i will know when its time for my period next month (march). my doctor said either i wont have a period or if i do it will be very light. that will tell me if it went ok. yes i also had a D&C so i am told. that is what my doctor told my husband and my mother after the surgery was over. i hope this helps you with your questions.
I had an endometrial ablation in November of 2004.  After the procedure I went home expecting the horrors of cramping and bleeding, but instead a very pleasant surprise - no bleeding, no cramping at all.  Down time was maybe a day and a half and that was mainly because of the anesthesia.  It has now been almost 3 years, my periods completely stopped, and I am elated!  Please keep in mind that different people have different outcomes.  I am glad to be able to post one of the most positive experiences of this procedure.
I am scheduled to have the novasure procedure done in two weeks. I have heard mostly good things about it but I have heard it can cause sexual dissatisfaction and inability to achieve orgasm.
Does anyone have information about this?
I had the novasure a year ago. I did not have any sexual problems following the proceedure. It was a huge concern for me and my husband prior to the procedure too. But in my case it was not a factor in our sex life.
I had balloon ablation in July 2007.  My periods have lessened a great deal, which is great.  The only problem is that now as the months proceed the first three days of my period I am experiencing lower back pain to the point that I cannot do anything.  Any advise??  I have never experienced such pain before.  I tried doing Yoga and stretching, does not help.
I just had an endometrial ablation, novasure 2 weeks ago.  The first 3 days were awful.  I had such severe cramping in only the right side.  My right groin area had the worst cramp in it and it shot pain and weakness down to my knee.  The Doctor had no idea what was going on, and only suggested that it might have been a pinched nerve.  She said to take Motrin and go home, and try to take it easy.  For three days, I could not get comfortable..  Finally, I am feeling pretty good.  I was should have started my period around now, and nothing.  I guess that is the only good thing about the whole procedure.  If I were to have to do it again, I would NOT.  I had 2 kids naturally, no drugs, and the pain from the ablation was worse then that.  I thought my Doctor was pretty good, but after this experience, I will never go to her again, not even for the follow up visit.  I am sure there was more she could have done to make this more comfortable.  
HI there, I also had the endometrial ablation on feb 26th. I know it has not quite been 2 weeks, but I am worried about the cramps I am still having. They are pretty severe sometimes and I don't know if this is normal or not. I went to see the nurse at my family dr office yesterday, as my gynie is on holidays. She did not really know what to tell me as she has not had to deal with anyone who has had this procedure before. I am really worried that these cramps will never go away. The watery bleeding has stopped as of today, thank god. The pain when I woke up from the procedure was so bad I thought I was in labor. Any advice? They won't let me go back to work until I start feeling better, but right now I don't think I will ever feel normal. I am also very hormonal, like I feel sad all the time. I had a tubal ligation 6 yrs ago and never felt like this...Please help with any advice.

thanks!
chris

thanks!
chris
I had an endometrial ablation in August 2007.  Several days later I was in the ER with severe low back pain and leg pain, which they said was due to a UTI.  Today, almost 14 months later, I am still having chronic low back pain as well as leg pain.  My OB/GYN seems to think this is not related to my surgery, however I've seen 4 other doctors (GP, spinal, neurologist, musculoskeletal) and so far no one can tell me what is wrong.  I can't sit long, can't stand long, can't ride long, barely sleeping, and just constantly in pain, which started after my surgery.  I'm curious to know if anyone else is having this problem.  
I had a novasure ablation and tubal ligation on Nov.4th.  I also had severe pain afterwards. It was releaved with pain meds.
Went back to work after a week off.  Everything was going well until last night.  I had the worst cramps ever. This is the time of the month I usually have my period.  Just spotting but unbearable pain.  I had to take the 800mg Ibuprofin I was given after the procedure.  It worked but I wonder if this is normal. I also have cramping more on the right abdomen than on the left.  I will call my Dr. on Monday.

Advise,  evern though the Dr.'s say you may go back to regular activities.  Take care.  If i lift heavy things I begin to cramp.  Listen to your body.  
Hi I just had the ablation 2 weeks ago.  When I woke up in recovery I was in intense pain.  They gave me morphine, demoral and loritab, it never even touched the pain.  Either I had a nurse stealing pain meds or I am crazy!  I am trying to decide if I should even see the doctor again for the after surgery check up.  I am still in pain.  cramping on my right side mostly.  I cannot get comforter able.  I have had 3 c-sections so I am no stranger to pain.  I know pain meds work for me, so I am really wondering if they gave me anything.  I heard the nurses arguing over giving me meds when I requested them because I only weigh 103.  Am I crazy???
Had ablation less than one week ago.  It's interesting that you commented about intense pain in recovery, because I remember that horrible pain, and the nurse's comment that I should have some tolerance for pain (this after telling me that they already gave me morphine).  I didn't have much cramping after that, but today my right side is really hurting me.  Will call Dr. if this keeps up.
I would never recomend the nova sure ablation to anyone!  I had  extreme pain during and after the procedure and my doctor didn't know why.  He had me do the procedure in his office while awake and it was extremely painful and the pain got worse when I got home and the meds wore off.  I have delivered three children with no drugs and this was similar to that pain but lasted much longer.  I was in pain for about four days.  It's been about 18 months since my procedure and I am bleeding less which is great however, my cramps have gotten increasingly worse and now it's to the point that I can't take the pain for about two days.  I never had cramps at all before the procedure.  Now my doctor wants to do a hystorecomy!  I'm getting a second opinion.  I am surprized at myself for even going back to him after he did that horrible procedure to me while I was awake!!!  Please think twice before doing this.
I can't imagine they did the procedure in the office. I had mine in the outpatient surgery and I was completely out. I had a D & C  and a hysteroscopy. When I woke up in recovery I didn't have any stomach pain but my legs and hips were killing me. They gave me percocet. They sent me home with percocet and naproxen. I haven't used them. Only mild cramping but here almost 3 weeks later and I started a light period. BUMMER. they don't me it may not work.
I had an ablation over a year ago and regret it severely.  I used to have heavy periods that lasted 5-7 days, now I have a light period, but it lasts 10-12 days, and the cramping.........it's like being in labor, with no relief for at least 2-3 days.  I NEVER had menstrual cramps before the procedure, just heavy bleeding.  At this point I would prefer the bleeding in lieu of the severe cramping.  My doctor said the ablation causes blood to be trapped in the uterus and unable to find it's way out.  Now I am seriously considering a hysterectomy, the two days of pain cause me to lose work and I'm tired of it.

Katie
I also had the novasure in the office yesterday on 8/7/09 and I was awake a total nightmare.. They gave me pain meds but felt like I didn't have any.. He also did a paracervical nerve block .(shots to numb your cervix) which hurt like heck..It was the most painful procedure ever for me .1 day later and I still hurt. If I had a choice I would not have had it done. I have also delivered children with no pain meds and it was a breeze compared to the novasure procedure..
Hi, My name is Misty, I am 31 and I had Nova Sure ablation this afternnon around 1:30.  Everything was cool, I went to the hospital because my doctor put me to sleep. When I woke up in recovery, I had the most intense cramps  mostly on the right side.  I had pain in my legs and my lower back.  I have suffered with awful periods since I was 17.  We never did anything about the painful heavy periods except birth control because I wanted to have children.  Now I have three and had my tubes tied three years ago.  They continued (the periods) to get worse.  It was awful, I would bleed for 6 months straight, either spotting or crime sence bleeding, as I like to call it.  The pain was so severe I would call in to work and suffer with narcotic pain meds and a heating pad.  My doctor would tell me that I was just one of those girls that suffered from bad periods, of course he was a man.  He told me that irth control would work hmmm. it never did.  Finally a new resident joined the family pracice I go to.  I had a break down while seeing her.  Finally someone was listening.  We did all the nessecary tests and scheduled the ablation.  I chose Nova Sure because it was safe and easy.  They spoke of it like it was a miracle cure.  I got home around 4 this afternnon and the cramps just got worse.  I called the doctor who preformed the surgery (not the awesome dr at family practice).  She told me to ride it out try some of the vicodin and ibuprofen she prescribed me, like I hadnt already or something.  I took another dose of both and 2 hours later, It was so bad I had my hubby drive me back to hospital.  I was doubled over in pain.  I was told there would be virtually no pain and that recovery was a peice of cake.  Yeah right, the same dr who did the surgery came to see me in the ER and told she was surprised, no one had ever come back for pain from nova sure, like I was a baby or something, like I was supposed to able to tolerate gut wrenching knife stabbling pain in my stomach, back and legs.  She wanted to give me yet another powerful pain killer through an IV and send me home.  At this point I am like do whatever to make it stop.  I am at home now, wondering if when the dilaudid (narcotic med) wears off whats going happen.  If I had to do it over I wouldn't do it.  Had I known it would be this painful, I would have opted fpr the partial hysterectomy.  I also heard the nurses talking about me, like another woman said in her message.  They said I had just had dilaudid before I woke up and it shouldn't hurt that bad, Because I litterally woke up in awful pain until they gave me another shot in the IV.  This surgery might work for some.  It is still to early to tell if the all the pain was worth it, but I wouldnt recomend it to anyone.  I will remember that pain for a long time.  I researched it some more after I came home from the ER.  The precentages of woman who have to have a repeat ablation or have to have a hysterectomy anyway after an ablation is way to high.  Had I known I wouldnt have  done it for that reason as well.  To me, right now it seems like a total waste of time.  I hope it works for me, but if something hurts that bad, it cant turn out well right?
I had nova sure today and have been back to the ER the pain was so intense.  If it lasts 3 days, I will go crazy.  I had the most intense cramps, nothing would relive it.  Not the Vicoidin and 800 mg ibuoprofen they sent me home with.  They gave me a shot of Dilaudid, a pwerful narcotic before I left in my iv and it still hurt like crazy.  When I went back thry gave me a larger dose of the same meds.  Im feeling okay right now, butwhat happens when it wears off again?  Will I be back at the ER.  I cant stand that pain.  It was awful.  Did u find someway to relieve the pain in the first three days or will we just hjave to suffer.  I really dont wanna suffer.  I wouldnt do this again if I had to.  They can just take it all out if its gonaa hurt that bad.  Its not worth the pain.  I was worse then child birth.  It was worse then the kidney stone I had three months ago and I never thought that anything would be worse then that pain.   Why advertise sometihing to be a miracle cure all and then tell you to suck it up when you find it pout it hurts worse then being run over?  Its not fair.  They should be honest, I have read a lot of comments on Nova Sure on this site and a few others, and their a lot of woman who expreienced severe pain, and my doctor tried to makeit out like I was a huge cry baby.
hey i hear u completly about the pain.. i had the novasure d/c and hystroscopy 1 wk ago today...no pain meds seem to work..going back to my dr today to see why i am still cramping..also very sad and getting hot flashes.i am lucky to have a very compassionate dr. i have to kids had a drug free delivery and a c section and didn't have this much pain..worried if this was the right choice..
I had the novasure procedure done 1 month ago. The pain and cramping was awful the first 3 days then the pain subsided. A few days ago I started having this pain in my lower right side, pelvic mayby? Anyways, it comes and goes and the in  last week I have been cramping like I am fixing to start or something. I am kinda moody and bout sick of this cramping. Any suggestions?
I just had an endometrial ablation less than 2 weeks ago , first I was scheduled on a Monday . I went in , they gave me anesthesia and I went too sleep . When I woke up my doctor told me that one of the machines had stopped working during the procedure and they would have to reschedule me . I was still dizzy and they told me to go to the front desk to be rescheduled so I did and the lady at the front desk said she would call me but never did . After I wondered through the hospital dizzy and finally found my way out , I went home and noticed that I was bleeding which they said was normal . The next day I called in and the rescheduled me for the following morning . They gave me the anesthesia again but this time i woke up toward the end of the procedure and felt quite a bit of pain , my doctor said to breath and it was almost over . They put me in the recovery room and then I felt the most severe pain I have ever felt in my life ! I have 4 children  , with two of them I had C-sections and one naturally with no medicine and still nothing compared to the pain I felt . I was given a 800 mg motrin which I threw up immediately  so it did nothing , then I sat in the room for about two hrs in horrible pain ! Finally I called my husband to get me , I was given a prescription of percocet and one for Motrin.  Once again wondered out of the hospital alone but this time in pain , luckily a very nice man that worked at the hospital helped me to find my way out .  I then had to go to the pharmacy by my house and wait 2 more hrs before I got ANY pain medication ! I went home , laid in my bed , clenched the covers and whimpered in pain for the next 2hrs . I was not told anything by my doctor about being in this kind of pain afterward . I have no follow up appt and I heard that my doctor is out of town . If I had a choice , I would not do this again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone either ! They need to better inform people of what they are getting into so you will at least know what to expect . I still don't know if it worked yet but I have the most terrible pain in my tail bone like it's splitting in two , I hope it goes away because I cant exercise or get back to regular routine until it stops .
HI, I had the Nova Sure Ablation 2 years ago and it was a nightmare and now I need to have a hysterectomy anyway! The pain of the procedure was unbearable and afterward was just as bad maybe worse! I had terrible cramping, fever,muscle aches and spasms and the bleeding never got better with periods and this year I started having periods every 14 days! I cannot believe the video of the procedure says it only takes 90 seconds, because mine was a whole lot longer if you cant count all the rest, the biopsy and so forth. I would never do it again!
I had the Novasure procedure on 11/11/09. I was given "twilight" anesthesia, and had it done in the doctor's office (as they are set up to do that.) I woke up feeling fine. I never needed any pain medicine afterward - no Vicodin, not even ibuprofen. It has now been 9 days and I still feel fine. I had cramping that was no worse than during a bad period, and a minimal pink-tinged discharge for a couple of days. I am alarmed to hear so many people had a bad experience. My recommendation is that you ask how experienced the doctor is in this procedure, and what the rate of infection or complications has been for their patients. If they are not willing to tell you this information, you should strongly consider finding another doctor.
I had a NovaSure three years ago. It was a complete success until a few months ago. Now I am having horrific cramps overs the days I would normally have a period. The cramps are so painful that I cannot walk and am now taking Vicodin, as ibuprofen and naproxen don't touch the pain. My pain is between the navel and pubic area and in the center of the abdomen.  It is worse than the cramps I had before the ablation. No bleeding just terrible, constant cramping that brings tears to my eyes.

After reading the range of experiences post-ablation, I thought I'd throw mine into the mix.  My doctor and I chose ablation after my severely heavy period left me very anemic and with a very low hematoctrit level.  Before opting for the ablation, we first tried an IUD which reduced the bleeding but caused intense pain.  I knew going into the surgery it might not work because people who have adenomyosis (which I likely have) do not always respond to ablation.  The heavy bleeding may be brought in check, but the pain can worsen.  I seem to be falling into that category.  I had spotting for the first 5 weeks after the ablation and then I had such intense pain for 2 days (when I would normally get my period) that I was doubled over and had to lie on the sofa, take motrin and vicodin for 2-3 days.  I'm a competitive athlete, and no stranger to pain, so I don't think it is all in my head.  The doctor has asked that I see how things go after another cycle, but I'm inclined to proceed with the hysterectomy if I see no improvement and get on with my live.  Curious to hear how folks who eventually opted for a hysterectomy felt.  
I had an ablation 1 week ago.  I had the mirena for 5 years and opted for the ablation this time around.  I was told I might need to take a few days off but that it wasn't that serious of  a surgery.  
I was sick from the anesthesia, which obviously did not help my recovery.  Four days after surgery I was still having cramps and was nauseous.  I couldn't imagine returning to work so I began surfing the web.  I was alarmed by what I was reading.
One of the issues I had directly following the surgery was the gas they used that I wasn't aware of.  I was bloated and very gassy and crampy.  It was difficult to decipher what was the cause of the cramping.  I didn't want to take pain medication because I wasn't sure what was making me sick to my stomach and didn't want to make the situation worse.  
When I called the doctor they said it really is better to get up and move around.  I explained  that I thought I was but I would be in pain requiring me to lay back down.  The next day I was determined to "get up and move around"  I guess shampooing my carpets wasn't what the doctor had in mind.  I read here several times, listen to your body, I 100% agree.  If you are having a hard recovery, take it easy, let your body heal.  I am a very active person so it was difficult for me to sit around but once I did things improved for my body.
O also wanted to note a 5lbs. weight gain following the surgery but again a week later I have lost that and more.
I am happy to report yesterday, 1 week to the day following my surgery I am back to myself.
I had the balloon ablation (thermachoice and D & C) the beginning of Feb. 2010 and I still have a very small amount of the watery dscharge...I am handling that fine...BUT the cramping has no pattern..I can hurt anytime of the day...It keeps me from sleeping at times...My dr opted for this procedure due to HEAVY peiods leaving me anemic, and weak. I am not happy about the cramping it does remind me of labor pains..I have had 4 chiildren!  I went to the dr 2 weeks ago because of the pain and they thought maybe I just had an infection so they gave me another round of antibiotics. I still have the pain, and I have my post check up today...We will see what my dr says about this....
I had a 4 week post op check up and told my dr about my cramping at times so bad it is like LABOR PAINS! He said he would aggressively treat me for an infection and see if that was the problem....I got a shot and a week prescription of a different antibiotic....He said if this does not work then we will just have to see...He said that there is a 5% of women that have this cramping after the uterine ablation on and off for a long time...I asked what the cure was and he said I would have to say a partial hysterectomy........LOVELY! I am praying this will go away....He said let's see if this is still post op cramping or an infection...I trust him at what he says.. I have seen him for over 15 years and 4 kids delivered by his practice...I have to go back next week to have a follow up from this visit and see if I am any better.....Will let you know how this all goes....
hi
i had my ablation on friday march 19th and like others i woke up in intense pain in recovery.......i was given 2 tylenol 3 and a torretol ....still no relief.......i left the hospital in severe pain and got my prescription for T 3's and took one more just 2 hours after the other med's ...still NO relief.........all the meds did was make me agitated and awakened!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have suffered with cramping for many many years and also gave natural birth and this pain was worse...........i was bent over crying in pain.......something my husband of 11 years has never seen......
pain did subside later in the evening with advil gel X 2......sunday i started getting pelvic pain and back pain also........today is day 5 and i still cannot stand for long periods, sit for long periods without the severe pain...............i went into the gyn's today and she did an internal and pap smear and a prescription for antibiotics and says it could be an infection....as it is not normal to still be having pain
so anyone having these problems please get it checked out!!!!!!!!!
she says it will take a couple of days for the antibiotics to kick in.....I HOPE TO GOD THEY DO.........i need to get back to work........i 1st told them a couple days off and now it will be over a week before i get back................and i am panicking cause i am an RCW in a nursing home and have an extreme heavy load.............i cannot go up a set of steps without extreme pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just had the procedure done 2 weeks ago and it was a piece of cake surgery...I only had cramps the day of surgery and thereafter I was fine. I have had some discharge since the prodedure but dr said I would for about 21 days. I started my period Monday March 22nd it's just pinkish light bleeding with no cramps. I don't know why everyone is posting horror stories....I am just waiting to have sex :) dr said to wait 4 weeks to make sure everything heals completely.
I had the Novasure a year ago. The doctor raved about it and I was desperate as I had just been in the hospital getting a transfusion because of anemia due to severe horrific periods. I wish now I had gotten a hysterectomy the reason I didn't was one the dr didn't prefer it (It's my body!) I already had my tubes tied, I also opted for this for the short recovery because I was taking care of my toddler son and didn't think I could recover from a hysterectomy with him. I wish I had tried. Not only did I come out of the anesthesia with a new heart defect that I now have to take constant medication for but I have never had so much pain in my life (even child birth) as I do with the cramping each month. Today is one of those days!! Sure I don't bleed as heavy (luckily) but I still bleed heavy enough! my periods never stopped and for awhile I got them twice a month. I have way more PMS symptoms than I ever had prior to the surgery. It is basically a nightmare. Please consider all options before getting this surgery. Yes some people have great results but not everyone & you don't want to be one of the ones that don't, believe me!
I had the Nova Sure done on 12/19/09. I bled off and on until the end of Jan 2010 but have not bled since then. On 03/27/10 I started cramping worse than I have cramped with periods in years. No bleeding, just the cramping. Feels like labor pains. Took Darvocet and Ibuprofen both and it barely touches the pain. I always got relief with Ibuprofen in the past. No one told me about the possibility of cramping like this when I had the procedure done. Women should be informed of this before they make the decision to have it especially if they may end up possibly having to have a partial hysterectomy in the end. Yes it may work wonderful for some women and that's great, but obviously there are many of us out here having the same type of cramping problems that is affecting our quality of life and our ability to function normally on a daily basis. This just isn't an annoying type of pain that's easily ignored. This is severe horrible cramping. Wished someone would have told me of this possibility. If you have friends considering this procedure, educate them first. Have them do some research and reading to obtain information that obviously our OB/GYN's are not telling us about.
oh boy..i wish i found this before i had the novasure procedure 3/25/2010.  i'm 1 week post-procedure with just scant spotting - infrequent. no pain, only took 600 mg of motrin the day of the procedure.  reading all the postings it makes me nervous....how are people's sex lives?  does it hurt?  any difficulty having orgasms?
I had the Endometrial Ablation done April 15th. Like a couple of you, I felt intense pain the day of surgery, but with the Tramadol, Naproxen, and a wonderful friend I like to call my heating pad I pulled through. When I woke up on the 16th I was fine, no pain. I did start feeling shooting pain in my lower right abdomen, but after a week it went away. I figure it was menstrual cramps because it was around my time to start. My doctor check me for infection but the tests came back negative. Now that pain is gone and for the last two days I have been having severe cramping in my lower back and my right leg... I am guessing that maybe it is menstrual cramps....hoping anyway. I have a very high tolerance to pain, this hurts, but it is more aggravating than anything. Has anyone found a medication that helps with this pain? It feels a lot like back labor.....
I had the ablation procure 2 weeks ago and I have felt like I have been having labor pains since!!! When I woke up after the procedure I felt like I had been stabbed with a knife!!! I have never felt such horrible agony in my life I have had 3 vaginal births and was labor was induced and  the pain from this procedure was even worse!!! My doctor gave me morphine and Valium  to try and ease my pain and not even those POWERFUL narcotics could ease the pain!! My advice to you is just get a hysterectomy!!! I am headed to surgery next week to have it done!!! I wish I would have had the hysterectomy in the first place!!! This pain from ablation was not worth it!! Basically the injected boiling water in my uterus and cooked it!!! And it felt as such every since!!! Some women I read about had a good experience and they are fortunate!!! My experience was awful and I can only say is that if you do it be prepared for living hell!!
I had the Novasure procedure 5/7/10. I had the procedure as an outpatient at the hospital and it was wonderful...no problems at all. In fact, the next day I spent the day out with my family. So far, I have had just a slight discharge with a red tinge...It is time for me to start so we will see. I would definately do it again!
Hi, I had this procedure done on March 2, 2010.  I was put to sleep and didn't feel much pain afterwards.  The anesthesia did make me sick for about a week, but I didn't even have to finish my pain meds.  But now I am experiencing pain on my right side sort of in my hip that seems to shoot down my leg, like sciatica.  I have also gained about 3 lbs. even though I'm eating the same and working out.  Had one very light period since then.
I had my novasure procedure on Monday, the pain when I came round was horrific! Since coming home that has almost disappeared but I am extremely nauseous and bloated! I can't do any of my clothes up and have no appetite despite which i have gained about 6lbs! I have also had no bleeding is this normal? The bloated pain I assume is trapped wind (from the gas pumped into the uterus) but it is excruiating at times. I just hope the pain eases and my periods are improved
I am so glad that I found this site and have found that I am not alone or crazy..  I had the ablasion done 4 almost 5 weeks ago and have been in horrific pain..  Pain in my lower back and in my abdomen and the bloating.. I haven't had any bleeding or discharge..  I feel like i'm going crazy !! I guess we are not suspose to mess with Mother Nature.....  The Big thing for me is that my Dr acts like nobody has these issues...  I'm just sayin' that is the worse part... I know the pain is real !!
I had my Novasure ablation a week ago today.   They gave me a local anaesthetic which only numbed my cervix and not the uterus.  I felt everything and it was extremely painful.  Afterwards I had severe cramps and like a knife stabbing my right side.  Now a week to the day later, I still have bad cramping.  I tried going back to work yesterday but couldn't face it today.  They didn't book me a follow up appointment nor give me any painkillers.  They just told me to take Ibuprofen which doesn't touch it!  I'm trying to get an appointment with my GP but they can't see me for another week.  Don't know how I'm going to manage.
I had the Her Option ablation 5 days ago.  The pressure in my lower abdomin (abdomen) and lower back is terrible.  My procedure was performed in the Dr. office, little pain except at one point I think Dr. got off track and really pushed hard to get through something?  Is the pressure normal after this procedure?  Has anyone else experienced same?
I had my endometrial ablation done on 7/20. Right now I'm in sever pain, my lower belly is distended and there is great pressure. I'm also bleeding quite a bit. I also had a tubal done at the same time of my ablation. I've talked to doctor and he said this is all normal. Then when why am I in so much pain and so uncomfortable. The Motrin isn't helping and I'm concerned. Does this sound normal to anyone? Any advice appreciated.
I had the balloon ablation on 5/3/10 and had what i thought was a period the end of May and then another the end of June beginning of July and then again today 8/2/10. The period in July and now the one today I have experienced severe cramps. Nothing seems to help the pain other than time. The period is lighter than my normal periods before the ablation but the cramping is nuts. I have read other posts, but did not see where anyone has offered any relief or whether or not their periods eventually stopped all together after a few months. My GYN said that the full effects won't be noticed until about 6 months after the procedure. Can anyone respond?
I am so glad I found this message board.  I had my Thermachoice ablation done on June 28th and right around the time I was supposed to get my period in July I started with back pain which got progressively worse until it was difficult to move around without feeling like I might collapse.  The back pain started a few days before my 2-week follow-up appointment.  I asked the GYN if it could be related since I always got low back pain with my period....never severe, but it was there.  

I sought the help of a chiropractor, but the only way he could get me any relief was by jacking up the electrostimulation so high that I could feel myself convulsing during treatment.  I gave up the chiropractor and made an appointment with my primary physician.  Unfortunately, the pain was gone by the time I got to the appointment.  She advised me that if it comes back to call her and she would prescribe something.  Well, about two weeks ago it came back with a vengeance.  I called and she prescribed a muscle relaxer and hydrocodone for pain.  I had told her that Tylenol and Advil weren't working.  Well, neither the muscle relaxer nor the hydrocodone really did anything for pain...just knocked me out.  I have iced, I have heated....NO RELIEF.  I got my period (very lightly) last Tuesday, and voila! the pain was gone completely by Thursday.  

Oh I hate to know that this is what EVERY month will be like.  

Has anyone had any relief?  What works?  Will it ever end?
I had my ablation 5 years ago and all I can say is I feel for each and every one of you my life has been horrible I suffer from severe stabbing pain on my left side abdomen, back, and leg every month for a week. Doctors think I'm crazy. I'm going back to doctor on Monday and telling him to remove my female organs. I hope this works. Sometimes I get so depressed I feel that I would be better off dead than dealing with this horrible pain
I had ablation 3 weeks ago, and with little bleeding if any, just brown junk coming out and still. Last night I looked on my calendar and notice it was time to ovulate this week, I had severe pain on the left side, and what felt like a rock in the lower pelvic region. I thought I was constipated which I was from medications, however...after that was relieved Im still in major pelvic pain. Same left ovary pain too. Im super tired and Im wondering if this will ever go away. This has knocked me down in bed all day. I felt like labor pains were coming on. I had 2 children with nothing...this beats that feeling. I really don't want to spend the day at the ER. So next week I suppose I will call the Dr. I just hope that this goes away soon. I would rather have bleeding then the pelvic pain that I have now.
I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to have found this site. I had an ablation in March 2009, the procedure went well and I really only spot for a day or so during the month, however, the pain that I have in my lower back and pelvic area is horrific. It seems to get worse every month and it last for several days usually several times a month. There have been times that I just lay and cry it's that bad. I had my son with no medicine and I can say the pain I have now is much worse. My OBGYN is a great dr., but I do wish I would have done more research before going thru w/ it.
I had my ablation done 6 days ago and I am still in extreme pain.   When I woke from the surgery i thought i was in labor and they had to give me 3 doses of Morphine and the strongest anti-nauseant they had.   I went home on T 3s for 2 days and then returned to emerg with extreme pain again.  The emerg doctor put me on Hydramorphine for 3 days.  Now I am taking an anti inflamataory supository and am in pain again.  I was told there would be very little pain and I think maybe I am crazy!   I have had a c section and a v bac birth thereafter and do not remember it being this uncomfortable.  I have lots of bloody discharge and it is smelly....not a good time :-(
I had the ablation done in August. I wish i had never agreed to it, yes its stopped the heavy periods i was having for three out of every four weeks but the cramps are unbelievable!!! For one day a month im in agony, its like a pemanant contraction for the day, painkillers dont touch it. You just dont know what to do with yourself and for the next day you are so sore from the cramp its like youve done hundreds of situps. I went back again to the docs and they are trying to tell me its not connected to the ablation. I had regular period pains before that could be managed by ibruprofen. These however are off the scale!! im going back to get referred to the consultant that did this to see what her answer is. I certainly would not recommend this procedure.
I had the novasure procedure done on nov. 11th. everything was fine afterwards, no pain really and light bleeding. Well, it will be three weeks tomorrow post op. I am still having the light bleeding/ discharge and last night i had a nagging cramping, almost like in my hips going down to my legs, like it's sciatica. Today I am having lower back pain. I'm praying that this is my period. I don't think my husband can take much more of my being out, he travels with his job and he gets concerned of loosing it. What to do?
I'm schedule to have this surgery on Monday, Dec. 20th.  Reading some of these horror stories have me scared to death.  A co-worker had this surgery yesterday, and died last night.  That's what made me google for more information.  I'm still waiting to hear what her actual cause of death was because I know she had blood pressure problems.  It may not have  been related to the surgery at all, but the family said "complications with surgery", so my dilemma, do I go through with it, or not?  I'm just not sure.
Well I am glad i found this site. I had the novasure procedure done on  tues dec 28th It is thursday night two days later and I am experiencing massive cramping and lower back pain little bit of browmish yellow discharge. When I woke from surgery I was in extreme pain. I was givin moriphine in my iv and it still didnt even touch the pain. i was sent home with percocet and will be running out soon if this keeps up. The percocet just takes the edge off slightly. called my doc to let them know I will be running out since they will be closed for friday due to the holiday. He would not refill and told me that i should not even be in that kinda of pain and that most doc prescribe only motrin.... I have had two csections and this does not even compare to my post surgery pain. This is just miserable....
I had the novasure ablasion in June 2010 and in Sept I started having severe left abdominal pain. My doctor monitored it until the pain became so severe in December he did exploratory surgery through my belly button in December and discovered that the tube coming from the uterus was surrounded by endometrosis.  Now it is February 2011 and the pain has moved to the right side.  I am now scheduled to have the tube on the right side removed.  He truely believes this is a direct effect from the ablasion.  The cramps seem to be the same as some of you have described.  The pain is very severe and shoots down your leg.  My doctor says he is going to contact the makers and report my case to them.  
Surprised at your experience of the ballon ablation. I had one done yesterday. I was numb from the chest down and also had a light sedative so I slept right through it. I didn't want a full general anaesthetic so this was perfect. When i woke up in pain i immediately got a pain relief injection. Yes I have cramps and bleeding now but it's bearable with the drugs I got from my gynaecologist. That you suffered during your experience is wrong. Yes she should have done more to make you comfortable. I hope things are better now
I agree...I had the Novasure Ablation done in June 2010 and a few months later I started having the worst cramps.  I still have my period, it is lighter but the cramps are unbearable....I traded one problem for another.  I never had cramps like this before.  I went to a new doctor and she said that basically I had a failed ablation.  There are those percentages and unfortunately I was one of them.  My new doctor recommends a hysterectomy, leaving my ovaries though...so we will see.  
i had the Novasure Ablation done 5 days ago in the outpatient ward of my local hospital; I am surprised at everything I am reading here; I was completely out and do not remember a thing. When I woke up I felt no pain at all, only the sensation to pee; the nurse insisted i take 2 anti inflammatory pills and 2 perks as she said there would be some cramping to come. I only took one of the perks and left wondering if they had even done anything to me. Later that evening I experienced bad cramping for a few hours; had a hot bath and slept like a baby. I have had no bleeding and just today (day 5) have noticed a VERY small amount of VERY light yellow discharge. I have felt a little bit bloated, however I can imagine some swelling is to be expected until after the uterus has had time to heal. I think perhaps although everyone is different, maybe it is not the procedure that is the problem but maybe the doctor that is doing it? ... I suggest that anyone who is thinking about getting the procedure find out how long your doctor has been doing the ablations for and maybe get a few references.
May 23, 2011.. I had a Huysterecomy, endometrial ambulation, &  D & C .. I had Day Surgery.. I did not wake up with any pain. However, AS the day and night wore on I felt like I had cramps and pain. I have had quite a bit of gas and diarrhea.. We shall see what tomorrow brings.. I have decided to work from home and see how the day goes. Oh FYI... Not sure but do be careful what you eat, And I would suggest very small amounts.
My friend just had this done one week ago and all went well until a few days ago she begn very heavy bleeding. She is anemic and the bleeding gets worse when she gets up or walks anywhere. It's worse than a heavy period, she is soaking through pads and feeling very large gushes (gross I know). I have not read anywhere about the heavy bleeding and her Dr.s seem to disregard it saying it's normal - I've looked all over the internet and can't find any information on that.
I had the ablation procedure yesterday in my OB office as an outpatient visit. I was not asleep and was only given a valium and a shot of ibuprofen. At the start of the procedure, I was given a shot in my cervix with a huge needle. This was excruciating. It was supposed to numb me but did not completely. The entire procedure was painful. I was sent home with Ibuprofen 800mg and Hydrocodone and was not really given any other instructions or advisement other than possible light bleeding, mild cramping, and watery discharge. A couple of hours after getting home, my cramping became so intense that I couldn't do anything but cry. Very similar to labor contractions. The contraction seemed constant and lasted for almost 12 hours. Nothing would relieve the pain. I then began throwing up and did so several times. I was so uncomfortable that I could not rest. I was crying and unable to care for my 2 year old son. Thank God for my wonderful husband. I did not have a lot of bleeding, only severe cramping and horrible low back pain. I called my doctor this morning and she called me in a prescription for nausea which did help me keep the pain medicine down and I finally was able to rest. Despite the procedure being much worse than I anticipated and the post op pain was horrific, I am hopeful the long term effects will be worth it. I am glad to know by reading these posts that I am not alone with the pain that I was having. I thought I had a high pain threshold as I delivered a 10 pound baby with no medication. I guess not! I would strongly encourage anyone considering this procedure to do some research and speak in detail to your physician.
I am 24 hours post op and I have to agree with most of you women who had the Novasure procedure done...waking up after the procedure produced SEVERE cramps for me as well...I was given medication for the pain and medication to offset nausea...within 2 hours I was released to go home and slept for like 4 hours straight...so far I have had no more spotting and no cramping...I have taken 1 of the 30 vicadins my doc prescribed and I am thinking I won't need anymore...My regular period is supposed to start in 4 days so I guess we'll see how things go from here but I am praying this will help minimize my flow and save me some money on tampons and pads...I would have to say for those considering having this done DO NOT OPT TO HAVE IT DONE IN OFFICE!!!!...if you have it done in the hospital they can manage your pain a lot better than in office...they made sure my pain was under control before I left...the doc and hospital staff were amazing...overall I would have to say my experience with Novasure was great!!!
I just had my ablation done 4 days ago and also had a fibroid shaved. I was put out for the surgery at the hospital. When I woke up in recovery I had some cramping but they gave me narcotic to relieve it. I had very light bleeding and it only lasted until that evening. The cramps are not very bad, I am taking 600mg Motrin. I am on day 4 with no bleeding, no discharge and mild cramping. My lower ab/pelvic area is a bit swollen but I am sure this is normal and will go down after uterus heals. I also have endometriosis and adymosis. I had suffered very heavy, clotting periods every 2 weeks for years so I am very happy that I had this surgery. I feel fine today and am expecting to be 100% in a few more days. I have been lying down and not lifting anything. Also have not excercised yet. I want my body to completely heal before doing so. I am sorry so many of you ladies had such a horrible experience but thus far mine has been just fine and I am very pleased.
I had the endometrial ablation done on August 8,2011. It has been the worse thing that I have ever experience. The pain after was unbearable, as with everyone else I was given pain medication in the hospital when I woke up.Upon reaching my home things was great until that friday.I couldn't get out of bed the pain was so great and I was bleeding as if I was getting operated on in my sleep.I thought my body was going through this change due to the procedure that I just had. I than called my physician the following monday because the bleeding got worse.She gave me an appointment to come in to the office for that thursday.She gave me an examination and than she tells me that I have a high uterus and the ablation didn't burn the top of the uterus, so that's why I had all that bleeding.But the doctor said that the bleeding should be less.I wasn't told that the procedure was a success or that the device couldn't reach the top of the uterus in the recovery room???My doctor begin to tell me that I will still have some bleeding and it shouldn't be as much as before. But it was similar to what was happening before without the heavy clots. I still had to change my pad every 45 minutes.Now she want to talk about another procedure. So right now I still have cramping and now with backache.I am miserable.My doctor still says to give it time and have a little hope.
I had my Novasure procedure done about 5 weeks ago, and I have to say I wish I would have had a hysterectomy instead.  Intense pain after the procedure, ended up with a raging bladder infection, and I have the worst constant cramping on the lower right side of my belly.  Awful.  My follow up appointment is tomorrow and I am definitely going to tell my doctor that this procedure *****.
I had the Novasure Ablation in Sept 2010, at the age of 46. No medical issues at all, except for heavy, long lasting periods.  I bled/had a discharge, requiring a pantyliner, every single day, and had a backache, and pain in my tailbone,  for 4 months straight, until my GYN put me on hormone therapy for 30 days. 30 days estrogen plus 14 days of progesterone the second half of the month. The bleeding stopped after that, but as of 7 days ago, a year since the procedure,  I have started bleeding, again, nonstop, and having cramps, pressure, bloating, and a dull burning ache in my right side, requiring using something beyond a pantyliner.
Had I known what "could" happen, or that it could fail, I would not have chosen to have the Novasure Ablation procedure done. PLEASE, check all the facts, and read as many message boards as you can before going ahead with this procedure.
I am 35 years old and had the novasure done today and i woke up with the worse pain in my life . i had 3 surgerys in the past and they hurt but nothing like this i was doubled over in pain. the nurse looked at me like i was crazy and set their while i was in pain telling me i should not be hurting this bad . all he sent me home with was over the counter mortrin. all the meds they gave my at hospital never ever touched the pain . so my mom gave me a pain patch and i can actually walk now till tomorrow .
I had the NovaSure procedure, a D&C and a Hystereoscopy done on the 23rd of September 2011. I can't say that it didn't hurt, and that I was all grins and huge smiles like the ladies in their stupid brochure. This thing seems to be working, although, I am still hurting. Cramping on the right side, is worse than on the left. I too, suffered from a heavy menstrual bleeding condition called menometroagghia. I have been batteling this condition for 16 years nearly, and wishing they would just take the whole uterus out. My surgeon does not want to take out my whole uterus, and told me flat out that he would not perform the surgery. I told him that if I let him do this NovaSure procedure that on the off chance this doesn't work, that he is going to take it out. He agreed. Here is what I can tell you about my recovery and personal experience with this procedure at nearing a week into recovery time...
1.) severe pain in the hospital after waking up from the anesthesia. nurse was a jerk, and when I did wake up they were taking the tubes from my throat, and what not, I felt clear headed, and let her know I had to go pee. She told me that I didn't have to pee, because she just took a cathedar out of me. I told her for 15 mins that I had to pee, and she insisted I didn't, but finally took me into the bathroom after tossing me a bed pan, and telling me to balance on this little tiny chamber pot, I think was actually a puke bin! and to "go". I told her to "GO and get me her supervisor, and that I would ask them to take me to the potty instead." This got her moving. I did pee. If you have to pee, keep insisting, ladies. The post operation nurse team seems to think they have all the answers, and the way I told them is that "I've had a bladder for 31 years, and I am more than certain that I know how to operate it." Insistance is key ladies. As for the pain: It hurt yah, I walked like a little old lady. But I got where I was going, and mission accomplished. By god they were not going to keep me there with nurse wench face any longer! Drink, hold down crackers - Check. On my way home a half hour later. I will bet they were never so happy to see someone leave ;) <3. Their little 2 tablets of vicodin did nothing for me. I'm wondering if they didn't give me some placebo crap instead. A few hours later, I took some of the Vicodin that they gave me from my obgyn office. Apparently my surgeon has a habit of not prescribing stuff for pain afterwards. (I didnt have that problem with him though, so I ended up with two vicodin scripts.)
I puked in the Mcdonalds parking lot on the way home, from surgery, and I felt better instantly.
2.) This procedure is painful. Ask them to knock you out. Do not fall for the  in and out 90 seconds and everyones awake and smiling crap. This is something that hurts, and I reccomend they knock you out. I was fortunate that I was knocked out, cept for the anethesia *****. But its better than being awake and nervous.
3.) I'm still sore at nearly a week later. I am not taking the vicodin anymore, because I feel that I'm gonna have to not rely on those if I want this to be over faster. Stopped yesterday at 5 days into recovery. Today I feel pukey, and look a bit pale. Been having bouts of Diahhrea for 2 days now. Will see what happens at 7 days to the T.
4.) Would I do this procedure and reccomend it to someone? I don't think I would want to suffer this again, but just remember a hystorectomy is 6-8 weeks to recovery. I don't think I'd be here chatting if I had gotten one of those. I still might need one, we will see. As for reccomending it I think you should know you can be knocked out, and are allowed to ask how many they have performed. if it's anywhere below 25 I'd opt for another doctor.
5.) appetite is not really there. feel like I am a kangaroo with a pouch full of high heels in my belly ;) Healing still, so I guess we will see what happens.
Wishing you all the best,
Meli
Got Novasure ablation 3 days ago.  My main problem is that I have very bad low back pain with spasms.  The cramping is there, too, but not as bad as when I first woke up in recovery (those felt like contractions).

I had to call the doctor yesterday because the vicodin and 600mg Ibuprofen weren't helping.  He told me to double the vicodin dose and also to stagger the vicodin and ibuprofen doses. It seems to be helping with the pain more but now I'm getting low on the vicodin!  The doctor will write me another script for something tomorrow (a Monday) for sure but I was hoping to feel better by then and work this week.  Now, I am not so sure.

I have hardly any discharge at all.  Oh, and at the same time as ablation I got laproscopic surgery to remove bilateral ovarian cysts and to clear up any adhesions that he saw.

Finally, if I didn't check this site I would have thought my lower back pain (cocyx bone, pelvis and hips) was not related because the back pain started the night before surgery.  HOWEVER, I think that pain started because I was due for my very irregular period.  Then the procedure and its accompanying swelling caused the back to get worse.  I'm hopeful that when the swelling goes away I will be ok.  Crossing my fingers!

Good luck to all!
I have a 3 part procedure (D&C, hysteroscopy, endometrial ablation) done on 10-7-11 (5 days ago).  I was so used to horrible menstrual cramps for over 20 years that when the blogs I read online talked about recovery consisting of bad cramps, I was prepared for the worst.  However, I am so very happy to say that other than very mild cramps for the first 6-8 hours (controlled w/ibuprofin), I have been 100% cramp/blood free.  By the next morning it was hard to believe I had anything done at all.  In the last 5 days, I have had slight pink when going to the restroom..maybe 4 times? I had dinner plans for the following night and was able to keep my plans, go out and even had a few drinks (I was not taking presc meds!) I downloaded a journal app for my ipad to start tracking my recovery for a few friends who are using me as a guinea pig..lol  So far, I couldn't be more pleased with my results.  Also, the fact that my doctor is amazing and the hospital facility I went to were great!  Some women have had bad experiences b/c of crappy hospitals/nurses/doctors.  This was not the case for me, so I am all smiles. =)  By the way, I am 33 years old and have 3 children.
I believe what I had about 14 months ago was the balloon ablation, because he mentioned something about putting a balloon in there and it slowly burning the lining.. I had some burning pain for about a week afterwards. But he gave me an option as to which ablation I wanted, one that just lessoned my periods or stopped them completely, well since the experience I have had with bleeding in past I chose the stopped ones... I still 14 months later have yet to stop spotting and cramping. True sometimes I'll go about 2 months with nothing but then ill cramp and spot sometimes to where I need a pad. This month however the cramping didnt stop after the first day like it always does, 3 days later I am still cramping and feeling awful.. I had my surgery done through same hospitial company that did my gall bladder 15 years ago and they messed that one up too.. I think I see a pattern here hmmmm... i have no way to the doctors right now to get retested.. when i told him at my my checkup, he said if it dont stop completely soon then he would recommend the hystrectomy.. I havent went back yet cause I am not sure I want that done....
I had my ablasion 3 days ago, age 44, 3 week periods. All went very well. Was put to sleep, doc said it would be to painful for me because I've never had children. Woke up without pain, had some cramping a few hours later, but nothing to cry about. Very little bleeding, some watery discharge for a couple of days, not a big deal at all. No pain second day, but today I've had some discomfort, doesn't feel like cramps, feels more like spasms, not very painful but not painless. Not sure whats happening, period time is close, that could be it or it's just side effects of the healing process. So far a great experience. Just remember everyone is different and some doctors are better than others.
I had NovaSure done about a year ago.  My doctor made it sound like it was no big deal and like a miracle cure.  It was not what I expected.  The recovery was awful and I was in terrrible pain for days. ( I had it done due to heavy bleeding and which caused severe anemia and the need for iron infusions every year.)  The cramping got worse with each month after having the procedure and I began to spot almost everyday.  Now the pain has become so bad that it brings me to my knees in tears.  I thought I was going to have to go to the emergency room yesterday.  I called my doctor and she said the procedure had failed for me and my only option now is to have a hysterectomy.  I really don't want to have a hysterectomy and am going to get a second opinion and check into any other alternatives.  I would never ever recommend this procedure to anyone.  
I also had the novasure done about 3 years ago and I am also experiencing the cramps. Do they ever go away? I was told the cramps would be minor and would go away over time. But I didn't have any cramps after the procedure until just recently. What the heck? I have made an appointment with my Dr. and I guess I will see then.
i had balloon ablation, hystescopy and d+c...i have dad four large babies and the pain i experienced when i woke up was excrutiating..they loaded me up with pain meds and nothing except the final dose of demerol even touched the pain...honestly...it is day five, the cramping has not been that bad..just leaking a clearish fluid...but feeling nausous off and on...it disturbs me that all docs say we will be back to our old selves in a couple of days...i have a very high threshold for pain...and am fit ...but this has knocked me on my butt...i have not had to take the naproxen or percocets that they gave me...i just want my energy to return and feel normal again...
I had Novasure done on April 2, 2010. I had it done because I had such heavy periods, it made me anemic. I was soaking pads every hour and unless I had to go to work (and then at work, I always had a change of clothes because of the many accidents), I would stay home.  It seem after the birth of each of my girls, my periods had gotten heavier and heavier.  I was tired and felt I couldn't go on living with such heavy bleedings so after 10 years of dealing with the situation,  I went to my OBGYN for a hysterectomy.  She gave me all the information, but also gave me other alternatives that I can read about.  After reading all the alternates, I opted for the Novasure.  I was told the procedure would probably just give me lighter periods, which is I said I could live with a normal period.  After the procedure was done, I was in so much pain, it was hard to get rid off.  Being allergic to Percocet, I was only given Ibuprofen.  The first night was pretty painful and nothing seem to take it away, and the next couple of days,  I was still feeling cramps but not as bad as the first night. I was able to go back to work 4 days later.  My first period was just spotting - very light spotting and so me cramping. After that, my periods were  just a few spots or nothing at all. It was such a relief. Some cycles I still feel the cramps - and some are strong cramps, and I aslo experience headaches but no periods or just a few spots, and trust me, I can deal with the cramps for a few hours. It's much better to have to deal with the hoover dam periods I felt I had to live with until I reached menopause. I am 47 years old and I have read of others having to repead the procedure, which I have said I would not mind repeating if it would stop the heavy period if they come back. I am sorry to hear many had bad experiences. Unfortunately, that is the case with any procedure. Every woman is different. And I hated to read that the nurses were not sympathetic to what some of you experiencing after the ablation.  I had a friend who opted for a hysterectomy just because she didn't want to risk having to deal with the heavy periods again.  She is happy not to be living with the nightmarish periods she also had to deal with at one time.
Hi, I am having the same problems you describe.  I had my procedure in March 2011.  Up until last month, it was great, no periods, no pms, no cramping.  Then last month cramping, then a very very light period.  This month, I have had cramping now for 5 days.  It comes and goes, and sometimes it is so bad I cannot stand up.  No bleeding at all.  What happened in your situation?  Did it continue, or go away, or did you have to have the procedure done again?
I had a novasure ablation done with hystroscopy on the 10th of January. The first couple of days were bearable but since day 3 I still have the most horrible lower back pain. I've been back to the consultant who thought I could have an infection and put me on antibiotics. He didn't think it was anything to do with the proceedure. I dissagree. I've also seen the gp and although he was sympathetic I was made to feel like I was making a fuss over nothing and I was basically imagining it. The pain feel a lot like my 'backache' labour I had with my son. Still have a pink/brown discharge which is what I expected but he continious pain is getting me down. Hoping things will improve soon as its my birthday today and I couldn't feel less like celebrating
I had a similar experience, I am on day 4 and I feel great! Severe cramps the first day, took my meds and woke up the next day feeling so good.
I had the procedure done Monday 30th January 2012. Same reasons as others on here..heavy, painful periods, plus I had a growth in my uterus and endometrial cells in my cervix. No results back on growth yet, but doc is confident the procedure will clear out anything that was about to turn nasty!
Same deal as you - the pain on wakening was so intense! Felt like labour pains. I was vomiting, sweating and nothing seemed to stop it. I was admitted over night and the drip of tremadol and panadol finally helped. Home now with panadeine and panadeine forte but it was only by day 3 that I felt able to move around. Its now Friday and pain still present. Nowhere near as bad, but still cramping and uncomfortable - eases with panadeine. I thought it would be over by second day - so am glad to read I am quite normal - especially as it appears right side is common to be most painful? Not sure why? The nurses were great and did tell me the doctors often down play the recovery of this operation. Not as quick as one would think! I now just have to wait and see what happens I guess - fingers crossed !
Have them check out Ur ilinguinal nerve. It comes from the back around the hips to the groin. I am going for my 2nd nerve block n maybe an ablation. My symptoms have been opposite of yours. Bad groin pain with even worse pain with my cycle. I'm seeing dr. Hibner at st. Josephs in Phoenix az. They r wonderful. They treat chronic pelvic pain.
No sexual side efffects.  But, I will tell you, that there are complications to be considered.  If your endometrium is scarred, there is no where for the blood to go and the uterus becomes engorged.  

I had the procedure performed in April of 2011.  Prior to that, I had two C-Sections and a tubal ligation.  I still bleed somewhat, spotting is not regular, and the pain is 10x worse than before.  The pain starts about two days before my "active" cycle, and is so great it feels like I am being stabbed, I cannot complete a day of work, and I get a sudden onset of nausea, along with gagging in response to the pain.

I would consider having an ablation only under the most extreme case of bleeding.
I am scheduled to have the ablation done Friday..my PA I work under is the one who recommended it..She had it two years ago and other than mild cramping after the procedure, she was fine and no period since then...I have severe cramps and bleeding and I am in clinicals so a hysterectomy at this time is not an option..They have made me comfortable about the procedure but now I am worried.
I had my procedure done today. When I woke up from the procedure I was fine..I used the bathroom and the cramps started. They was really painful. I slept most of the day away with the help of pain meds and I am feeling 95% better. No bleeding so far. Hopefully tomorrow will be even better!!
Please bear in mind, that only around 10% of women under-going this procedure experience further complications, usually happening within on year.

Ablation is an alternative to a hysterectomy.  Simply, sometimes they do not work.  Once a woman has passed this step, there is no option but to have a hysterectomy because of scarring and pain.  Also, this procedure is not reccommended for woman who have a history of C-sections or Tubal ligations.  I hope the procedure is effective for you!
I had the balloon ablation done in feb 2011 after suffering heavy periods, I was told I could not be asleep because of other medical conditions which I argued against but lost.   I was give tablets etc and told I would feel no pain, the procedure was so painful that giving birth to my two kids was easier, after the ablation I was so spaced out thank god my daughter was with me as it was done in hospital,   it took me 3 days to recover  I had a few months of only very light spotting for my period. But then everything changed my heavy periods returned along with very sharp intense pains which my doctor told me was part of the course, so now one year on I am going to see another doctor and I hope the will understand what I am telling them.
I had a therms choice ablation 8 days ago. Pain wise after was not pleasant but after a few extra doses of morphine I was sent home. The first 2 days I slept through most of the pain, and now, 6 days later the pain is like constant period pain although it's a lesser pain than I would have from a period it's been constant for 8 days now. My worry is the amount of times I need a wee! And long ones too.. I never been for a pee so much in my life! And I am constipated too although I do have ibs (irratable bowel syndrome).. I havent been out the house since and feel a bit down and feel like I don't want to do Anything or go anywhere.. I'm not eating am losing weight but have a bloated stomach full of wind that pains me too.. I know in the long run its for the best but right now I hurt and am miserable... And from reading some others I'm relieved I'm not alone x
I had a thermachoice ablation 8 days ago. Pain wise after was not pleasant but after a few extra doses of morphine I was sent home. The first 2 days I slept through most of the pain, and now, 6 days later the pain is like constant period pain although it's a lesser pain than I would have from a period it's been constant for 8 days now. My worry is the amount of times I need a wee! And long ones too.. I never been for a pee so much in my life! And I am constipated too although I do have ibs (irratable bowel syndrome).. I havent been out the house since and feel a bit down and feel like I don't want to do Anything or go anywhere.. I'm not eating am losing weight but have a bloated stomach full of wind that pains me too.. I know in the long run its for the best but right now I hurt and am miserable... And from reading some others I'm relieved I'm not alone x
I have had the same issues. No one can tell me why and I am about 90% sure that it is from the endometrial ablation. Nothing takes the pain away from my monthly pain. I am on extensive pain meds and it still does not cover the pain entirely. Have you had any changes since then?
I too have experienced extreme cramping during my periods and in 2006, started bleeding all of the time. I was put on birth control to resolve the issue but nothing changed so I decided to have a D&C. They gave me Demerol before putting me to sleep, which didn't bring any relief whatsoever and so I cried until the lights went out. I was giddy when I woke up because I no longer had any pain...none. The nurse told me she'd never seen anyone act the way I did after having a procedure done. I had zero pain and felt great!! Unfortunately, I still bled so they finally took me off of birth control and the bleeding stopped. Years went by and I didn't experience any other issues until around 2011, when my periods started becoming increasingly more painful. However, I was not experiencing any bleeding in between. I had an Ablation done on July 12, 2012, thinking everything would go smoothly, just like the D&C. I couldn't have been more wrong. I bled for a month and have been cramping ever since...the cramping is extreme!!! In my lifetime, I've only refilled a prescription for pain medicine once, when I had my 4 wisdom teeth chiseled out (and that was only 1 refill) BUT now, every single time I run out of pain medicine, I feel completely miserable. Nothing else seems to help me. I've tried stretching, lying in the tub and on heating pads. I'm popping Motrin 800 like its candy and am now on muscle relaxers. I CAN'T STAND IT!!! The pain is in my lower abdomen and runs all the way down my legs to the bottom of my feet, hurting even more in my knees. My doctor doesn't know what's going on (I certainly don't) and is starting to make me feel like I'm just wanting pain meds even though I've never had an issue with pain meds before. I don't know what to do and am now wishing I never had the surgery to begin with; at least before, the pain was once a month but now, it's ongoing. I used to be active...played tennis, went to the lake, worked out, etc...now, I don't feel like doing anything except curling up in a ball BUT even that doesn't work. Suggestions?
I want a hysterectomy, now!   Left side stabbing, excruciating pain every month.  I had novasure 2 years ago.  I can't take the pain.  Nothing helps.  I just roll on the bed and moan every month for 3 days straight.  I had open heart sugery and a ruptured colon and NEITHER hurt like this!!  Do not get this procedure, it's not worth the risk.  And oh, after 6 months I had my period again.
I had the novasure,hysteropsy,and a biopsy on a discovered leison,had it done 2weeks ago,still getting achy feeling in my legs and still passing a browny discharge,the dr said I also had a cyst blocking my womb entrance,really worried about the results of biopsy,and im starting to feel abit nerotic,should of gone back to uni today,but just feel tired and achy still,is this normal:|x
I had NovaSure Endometrial Ablation done over a year ago. I had no pain after the surgery and even went home and did laundry after a few hours over rest. My surgery was done in the Hospital and I was knocked out for it. Took about 30 minutes. I do get very light spotting every 4-6 months for about 2-3 days but the cramps are so painful! Honestly even with the cramps Id still have the surgery again knowing what I know now. Not having a period is wonderful. Im very sorry that so many of you had such a negative experience with the procedure. My experience hasn't been bad at all...just very crampy when Im suppose to have my period. Which is relieved with Tylenol and a heating pad.
Hi.
I had the Endometral Ablation & Hysteroscopy Procedure carried out on the 2nd Sept, due to suffering from very heavy periods, I was in a side ward with 5 others, I was 4th to go down all the ladies in front of me were away for 30min's, I remember looking at the Clock as I went through for my Procedure, when I woke I had actually been away from the ward for 1.5hrs.
I was allowed to go home within 2hrs after having a drink/something to eat & a wee.
When I got home I felt groggy due to the Anesethetic (I had a General) & THEN THE PAIN STARTED....I have been to see my GP who thinks possibly I have an Infection, he prescribed Antibiotics, but the Pain is so intense radiating from centre of my stomach to my right side(I actually thought at1 time I had Appendisitis (appendicitis))
I had a watery / pinky loss for 10days, but this has now turned into a Period, albeit not with the Clots as I had previously, I am now day 15 PostOp & wondering if I will ever feel 'normal'
The pain is still there, as already posted this is worse than 'Labour'
Not sure I would Recommend it to others, however feeling 'Positive' that in the coming months it would have been worth it....  
Hi DixieM, I too am considering this procedure and have read lots of Interesting comments.  Only one regarding sexual activity.  I read your comment about everything turning out just fine for you in this area after the ablation.  I was told it could take from 2 to 6 weeks to resume sexual activity.  Is this accurate In your situation?  Thanks