daughter has late puberty?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

daughter has late puberty?

I am not sure if this is the right forum or not. The maternal and child forum seemed more geared towards younger kids. Anyways, my oldest daughter is 13 and does not seem to have started puberty. She is about 4 foot 9 and 90 pounds. She has no pubic hair or breasts. although her nipples do seem a bit puffy, but i don't know if that means anything. As you can imagine, this has been VERY hard on her because all of the other girls are taller and have breasts and she certainly gets her fine share of teasing. She sometimes bursts into tears over it. I try to console her, telling her that she is just a late bloomer and her time will come soon. But her 14th birthday is coming up this summer and i am wondering if i should consult a specialist or something? Are any of you the parent of a late bloomer? How did you handle it? Thanks!
A cousin of mine didn't have a period until she was 18! She had many tests done and they all came back normal. She was also very active in track which may have elevated her testosterone, but the dr's said just a late bloomer. Best wishes to you both.
I knew a girl exactly like her when I was in high school.. very hard on her as her sisters were very well-endowed.  If I remember correctly, she was given hormone shots and finally everything fell into place when she was 16.  However, this was the late 70s and I don't know if the hormone shots were a good idea or not.  As the other poster said, she may just be a late bloomer.. not easy to deal with at her age!  I would strongly recommend a specialist.  Best of luck to both of you.  
Yes, my daughter's only sister is 7 so no issues there. But we had a family get-together recently and my 11-year-old niece was there and i would guesss she was wearing an A cup bra. As you can imagine this didn't sit well with my daughter because just last year her cousin was only in a training bra. I just feel badly for her because while her friends are talking about getting their first periods and stuff, she is still waiting for her first pubic hair. At her last checkup, the doc said she was just a late bloomer and to give her some time. But, yeah, perhaps i will take her in to see a specialist of some kind just to be safe.
Katt,  I forgot to post this final thought.

Girls who look like women have very special,  and awful,  issues to deal with.  At the age of 12 they have to deal with men coming on to them every day.   In retrospect is was a blessing that I wasn't dealing with fighting off the attention of older boys,  and in fact MEN,  when  I was 13.
Katt,  I was like your daughter.  I didn't get my period until I was 14,  and I was thin as a rail.  

To add to that,  I started school in New England where the cut off for starting first grade was December,  and then moved to Texas where the cutoff was August,  so my October birthday in fact made me more than a year younger than most of my classmates.

I looked like a girl going to school among women,  literally.

She who laughs last laughs best - I look younger than anyone else going to the upcoming 30 year reunion,  and I've held my shape.  I'm 5'5",  120 pounds,  and I still am recognizable from my 8th grade pictures.  

My guess is your daughter is the exact same.  She matured late,  but will keep her shape and always look younger than her peers.

Best wishes.
You make a good point. I was an early bloomer (period at 9!) and it was was terribly difficult for me because of the reasons you pointed out. i was very much afraid that my daughter would have to go through it too. i am actually sorta glad she turned out to be a late bloomer instead.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to consult a Dr.  My daughter is 11.  Has pubic hair and has begun shaving.   She wears an A-cup.   No period yet.    All the girls in her class (5th grade) wear bras.