depo and irregular periods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

depo and irregular periods

Is it true that the depo shot can make you have a period every two weeks in a month?? Is it also true that it can make you so you can't get pargent after going off of it??
I was on Depo for 2 shots.  The first shot everything went fine, then when I got my 2nd shot, I gained 50lbs in a months, while eating healthy and exercising.  I also had a period for three days then off a couple then back again for three days, if not more, for almost three months.  But everyone is different and reacts differently to depo.  Some people even get pregnant while on depo or once they stop it.  Usually it stays in your system from 12-18 months.  I stopped depo in Nov 04 and started BCP's to regualte my periods.  Then in Aug 05 I stopped BCP's to TTC.  Because the depo was still in my system and I just got of BCP's I didnt have a period without the help of provera until Dec 05.  I now am almost 21 weeks pregnant.  Depo can do strange things to your body and I would seriously do some research on it before deciding to take it.  I'm just one person and this was my reaction to the shot but everyones different and Im sure there are some people that have used the Depo shot and not had any side effects.  Best of Luck!!
Jen
I was on depo for years. never has a problem or period. got off of it to get pg it took exactly a year.
i would say no to both of those. i was on the depo for over 4 years and i never had a period the whole time. also the reason i got off is b/c my obgyn told me (only after i asked if it was true b/c a friend had told me this and it happened to her) if you take depo for a long time it has made some women become sterile and not be able to have kids and then usualluy it takes a long to conceive after you get off. sometimes it takes a year or so. i did go from depo to the pill but i had to take a pill with high levels of estrogen to get me started and have a period againg and with that it still took over 6 months to have my first one. it took my friend almost a year and half to get p with there first child and she had been on depo for 2 years. my obgyn said the longer your on it the worse the side affects are. i also gained around 40 pounds and my hair shed alot. my dr did not tell me about the getting steril or taking long times to get p. i asked her b/c my friend told me after she found out i had been on it for more than 4 years. i had tried pills but i bleed for months stright on them so i did the depo but never would have taked it that long if i would have new what i did. good luck. i hope this helped.
I was on depo for 10 years and loved it!! I gain weight and lost it so wether it was related to the depo I am not sure. I went off of it because my doctor told me that there are new studies that show that is can cause osteoporosis in women who are on it for long periods of time. I was off of it for 3 months before my first period.
I know this is late, but I want to make sure anyone searching the internet for answers finds this.

I have been bleeding nearly every day since I first got the shot 4 months ago. Getting the shot was one of the worst decisions I have ever made.

After the first shot I went back to the doctor and explained all the side effects I was experiencing and how miserable it has made me, but their only suggestion was to stay on it longer because "it takes time to work".

Using depo as birth control works because your sex drive will disappear, you'll have abdomen pain all the time, and you'll be bleeding every day. Make sure to do a lot of research before getting the shot!
I was on the depo shot and my period stopped, but after the second shot, the high amount of hormones caused me to have several bloot clots in my left leg and I ended up in critical condition and in the hospital for a while. I had to take blood thinners for over a year and now my vein walls are damaged permanently. The depo shot seems to be either really good or really bad for most people.
I have been on the depo for one shot, I am due for my second one this month. Unfortunately, I am scepticle because I have been bleeding sooooooo heavy for weeks. I hate even getting on the depo shot. I would suggest that whomever decides to use this form of bc really take into consideration all of its terrible side effects.
I have been on the depo since july 16. i HATE it. it makes me moody and i have been bleeding since the day i got my shot. One day i will stop bleeding and when i FINALLY get the drive to have sex with my boyfriend ill start bleeding during sex. I have also gained about 10 pounds in the little time i've been on the shot.I would rather go through having a period every month and using condoms rather than go though this. Please think about all the side effects before getting the shot.
I was on depo for 3 shots and while i was on it i gained 100 pounds in the first 6 months, I also never got my period.  My last shot was June 2008 and I still have not gotten my period back, so I guess it just works different for every person and that exactly what my dr told me.  It will effect all people differently,
Hey i am on depo for a year and i have gained 15 pounds since i am on it.my boobs have gone so bigger and i haven't had any peroids at all.i am worried that something is bad??????????????
I've been on the depo shot for 10 months the first shot was ok I only bleed two weeks before I needed the next shot but now I m really considering getting off of it!! I feel horrible I've gained weight I bleed during intercourse my sex drive is low!! I have headaches bleed for a month and have abdomial (abdominal) pain'
hey,
sorry everyone has had such a horrible time wit depo I love it. Ive been on it for five years had my period for  a few months during the first year , then started spotting for about four months, then just got lighter, and lighter.   Now I randomly have an extremly light period twice a year. It will come for a day then stop for four days then come on for two days then stop for 9 days then come back for one day. Now I wear the lightest tampon for the day I have my period and don't change it out for the day and its not even a 1/3 full. I have gained 35 pounds on it, it makes you so hungry. Thankfully for the past two months my cravings have lessened, and my doc says they should continue to do that. I haven't noticed a change in my sex drive.  I didn't mind the spotting it beats havn a period every day for me. Plus I had very bad cramps, diarrhea and vomiting with my period. I hear it takes a long time to get pregnant, but I can't carry a child so that doesn't bother me. If you don't mind a little spotting and gaining some weight for awhile try it, but make sure to take calcium tablets because and can cause bone loss. I think I wouldn't have gained that much weight if I woud haveexercised. if you exercise you wil probably only gain a lil. I don't have to remember to take a pill every day so it works.
I have only gotten the depo shot once and i have been bleeding the whole time, i never took it again and its been three and a half months and sttill have had bleeding, is it normal to have bleeding for all this time?? also i tried to get that mirena birth control but when the doctor tried to put it in he made a tear in my uterus wall and couldn't place it in, it was excruciating, could i sue?
I BEEN ON THE DEPO FOE NEARLY 6M IM DUE MY 3RD  SHOUT DONE AT THE END OF MAY, THE 1ST 3 M ON IT I HAD ALL THE SIGN OF PREGANCY BUT I JUST WAS NOT , I WAS STILL GETTING MY P THOU OUT LESS SIGN BUT THERE WERE OF AND ON BUT ALWAYS CAN AT THE SOME DATES OF EVERY MONTH , BUIT THIS TIME WHEN THERE WERE DUE A WEEK AND A HALF A GO NOTHING HAPPEND  I NEVER GOT THE BUT KNOW MY BELL SORE ,  I BEEN FEELING LIGHTER HEADED AND FEELING A BIT UNDER THE WEATER ..TO
I got the depo 2 months ago, I can feel that I'm gaining wieght already and I've been bleeding since the 2nd week, non stop.  How long will this last?  Please tell me its almost over!  I'm going out to buy more femine products now and cost is killing me... Sometimes, I put a tampon in and it will be full and three hours later put one in and it starts bothering me and when I pull it out it hurts cause I'm so dry... but yet it does have a little blood on it.  I can't figure out if I'm going to be heavy enough, for long enough to wear a tampon or if I'm going to be too light and need to use a pad.... HELP!!  My b-friend and I had sex once in the last 2 months, during a day in which I thought it was all over, but after we were done, I started spotting again, and then started a full period only hours later.  The period started 12 days ago and still flowing.  Is this the normal bleeding they talk about in the first 3 months?  and, will it stop after the 2nd shot?  If not, is worth getting a 2nd shot?
Hello. It's true the shot affects everyone differently, but here is my story. I only took 1 shot in the end of April.

I was engaged to be married. I went to the doctor to ask about all types of BC thinking they would be experts and the best advice givers (yeah right). I told the nurse I was about to get married and needed something for a few months because wanted to conceive near the end of the year. She said DEPO would be perfect for me, uh huh.

The first month was fine regarding AF, got my period right at the 1 month mark, but it never stopped. Yeah, newlywed having unstoppable blood wasn't that fun. I bled every day during June, July, until the middle of August. I also went through the costs of buying tampons and the frustrations. Sometimes the super tampon would be full in 1 hour and sometimes after 6 hours it would hurt when I pulled it out, but there was always a little blood. I also had a brown discharge and it smelled weird too, but that went away in October.

I had gone to another clinic in August and they put me on BCP to stop the bleeding and it stopped within 10 days. Hallelujah. But the BCP made me very anxious and moody so I stopped those too. I had taken the BCP until September (just 1 month, I thought it would be enough to regulate my cycle as long as the blood stopped). Well, the bleeding came back and was more like spotting. Then throughout the next few months I would have blood for 6 days, then 3 days clean, then blood for 10 days, 4 days clean, etc. Then in December 2010 I had a period for a week, clean for 1 week, got ANOTHER PERIOD for 1 week, and now it has not come back. It's been 28 days.

My nipples are SO tender and my boobs hurt too, even taking a shower or the slightest brush of my nipple and it will send me to tears. I was thinking I would get my period or I'm pregnant, I just don't know because I've never had sore boobs, not even once in my entire life (I'm 24). I want to get pregnant, but I feel like my symptoms are just a side effect of the DEPO leaving my system. It's been nearly 5 1/2 months since my shot ran out. Now would be the time to take a pregnancy test, but I don't want to be depressed by having it be negative again.

During the shot I had many side effects. I also bled after intercourse every time, it was light blood and not very dark in color and only came out after orgasm. I was also moody, irritable, heavily depressed. Sex turned into a chore and I hated having sex. Thankfully sex drive came back in October. I also gained about 30lbs during the 3 months that don't seem to leave my body even if I exercised and ate right.

I would not recommend this shot to anyone and I feel completely mislead. I was told I wouldn't have a period, but instead I bled everyday. Anyway, I hope anyone thinking of taking this shot chooses another form of BC. Depo is the worst and I tell anyone I know to NEVER take this shot. By far it has been the worst decision of my life and I 100% regret it; If I could take back that day, I would in a heartbeat.
Okay, ive been on Depo for around 3 or 4 years.
The first shot up until the 2nd it was horrible, but after that i have had like 6 periods since.
I gained like 10 lbs since, but if you eat healthy and exercise you WONT gain weight, that's all on you. its your decision.

i have a a question though.
after having no period for maybe a year then i had one for like 3 days, a light one, then it stopped for a few days and now its back, still light.
is this normal?
  I am also new here, I have only had one shot and I am due for my second one in may which I will tell you I am not going to get it. When I got the shot my doctor never did a prego test before he gave it to me. I was good the first two weeks after getting it than started to bleed since I was not on my period when he gave it he told me that I probably wouldn't get it but if so it would be okay. I have been bleeding ever since. I bleed for 4 weeks straight than started this brownish color discharge ill do this for a few days than quit, praying to god that it is finally done, But it returns, if my hubby and I have intercourse, I begin to bleed, this is tiring and frustrating, PLEASE HELP.! How long will this last.! I would never recommend this BC to anyone if I could take it back I would in a heart beat. I regret ever taking it!
had depo injection 1st april still bleeding but its got heavier dnt know if its cause would normally be on now..is it normal to have decent size blood clots
I got my depo shot sept 5th. Soon aftr sept 11th i startd my period n has bn on every since. Almost 2mnths. Its mostly spottin. I do get moody at times n i feel like im losin my sex drive. My bf said im gainin weight ( d reason i chose depo) which is good bcz i am slim. Hvnt chkd my weight yt. I jst wish d period would stop. Im due for anothr shot n 2wks dnt knw if i wanna continue wit this.
i have been on depo for one shot in april. i was due for my next one in july but never took it because of my moodiness and weight gain. the problem is, in august, my period was really long.. it lasted almost 9 days wheb its usually no more than 4. and ever since, my period has completely stopped. sep. oct. and this month.. no period. im really scared and i dnt kno wat to do.
i am 18 years old.i had my son in november 2009 i got on birth control in march of 2010.it is now november 2011 and as of december i will have been on my period for about 9 months!!!!i am very irritated with depo so much i stopped it about 2 months ago and am still bleeding heavier but am having stomache pains and mood swings now..i went to my doctor and he said its side effects to the shot??? for 9 months????now my bleeding is black and chunky.im not taking anything.i was trying to let my body work itself out to a regular period again.but it just wont stop!!could there be something wrong with me?? or is it all really because of the depo?
I've had the same problem, I only had one round of depo and as 2 weeks after not getting it again I have a super heavy period, its been 3 days of non stop golf ball size clots. My insurance ran out and now I can t afford the depo or to see a Dr. I'm going crazy! I hate that I chose the depo.
I'm just on my first shot and have had it for about a month and my period still has came! I know it can make them irregular but i dont feel any symptons coming on and i always get them around 2 weeks before my period! apparently one third dont get any bleeding at all after their first one! But im really really worried! And would like to know if this has happened anyone??
i had my first child three months ago...i done had four or five menstrual cycles since getting on the shot august 22..i done been on twice this month alone....i am starting to hate this shot..should i continue on it...
I took one depo shot when I went on my period they were heavy now my period are late I dnt know is it possible that I can be pregnant *confused *
Hi all I wish I had read all the reviews of the depo injection before taking it... I had one depo shot back in Oct 2012 the first two weeks I had no period after that I had a continuous period from Nov 12 to Jan 13 the Docs gave me medication mini pill to temp stop the bleeding but as soon as i came off the medication the bleeding continued... I also for the first time started to pass very large blod clots which looked like liver the size of my hand.  It has caused me to be depressed and has changed my life.  I regret ever taking this injection and wouldnt recommend this for anyone to take it shouldnt be on the Market i am currently on a period which has lasted 9 days so far and now waiting for my scan appt at the hospital as my doctor is concerned.  
So Im 19 was on the  depo shot for 6 months been off it since november had only one period since then taken quite a few preg tests all of them have come out negative is this normal? Having a hard time losing weight as well. Addvice needed!
Thank you for the info Jenna. I was wondering what was happening to me and I see that you had a very smiliar experience with Depo. My Depo  is supposed to exprire in May and I have no intention to get another one. I had no period for a month, then after an intercourse I started spotting and then that turn into bleeding light with that brown thing coming out smelling like dead or something really bad. I was so worried that I wanted to go see a doc. I had a very regular periods before the shot, like a clock, which lasted 4-5 days the most. I have  now this bleeding with smelly brown color for about 10 days or so. I read that the brown smelly thing went away in October in your case. So from the first month of the shot,  can you tell me how long it took to get rid of that? It is embarassing, annoying..
I just got my first depo shot on Oct 18 I usually get my period the first week in each month ... I started to spot around the time my period usually comes (November 2) ... how long do you think the spotting will last ?