do i have interstitial cystitis or a lingering yeast/candida problem?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi guys a month back i got UTI symptoms where i had to pee very frequently n had
urgency and even had a little blood in my urine as i was waiting in the doctors office.
My doctor did a urine test n found alot of bacteria and white blood cells and put me on an
antibiotic, Sulfamethaxazole/trimethaprim for a week. after taking it for a week i still had the symtoms (symptoms) of
UTI n very little burning almost like a tinge after peeing but it wasn't severe at all so i waited a couple of days
n it just got bad again so i went to the doctor again n they did the whole urine test again n found out that the
infection had not cleared up as there was still bacteria n white blood cells in the test. So then they put me on
amoxycillin n i took that for another week...this took care of the UTI symtoms (symptoms) n i felt no burning however,
i was left with a yeast infection...so they gave me Monistat n they took another urine test and a urine culture.
they told me there was still some bacteria in the urine but they wanted to wait for the results of the urine culture
before they would prescribe me anything...so a couple of days later i called in n they told me that the bacteria
did not grow in the urine culture n said to wait n keep a check on the symptoms. The yeast infection cleared up
however, i still have discomfort n slight feeling of urgency at most times. Like i dont have any pain but i still get that feeling of urgency.... is that normal after getting a UTI and yeast infection or could there be something wrong..i've been doing research on IC n i dont think i have all the severe symptoms of it but i'm just scared that what if i have a mild case of it or could it be cause of a lingering yeast infection, even tho i did not experience any discharge, itching or smell after i got done with monistat.....please any help would be appreciated as its driving me crazy.
Bacteria will not show up on urine culture if you get it done while still on antibiotics. Get the urine culture repeated as it looks like a recurrent urinary tract infection. Recurrent urine infections could be due to various reasons. Most common cause is stones in kidney which is blocking urine pathway. Other causes are changing sexual partners frequently, pregnancy, diabetes and of course childhood infections. The urine can also be due to retention of urine anywhere in its flow due to obstruction.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.