effexor and weight gain and sex life

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

effexor and weight gain and sex life

i have just started with 75mg of effexor, and would like to know if i will put on weight. Also i have read that effexor also decreases the desire  for sex or make it difficult to have orgasm?
I have been taking 150MG of Effexor a day for about 1 year now.  There was some weight gain.  It did not affect my sexual experience one way or the other.  Try to set up a healthy eating and exercise schedule.
Hi Luna
ive also been taking effexor (225 mg )for about 2 years and i have actually experienced the opposite with the weight - i have lost a lot of weight and i feel it has curbed my appitite. As for the sexual desire- it has not affected my desire but i do have more difficulty reaching climax. Im not sure if it is related to the effexor or its just because im in new relationship.
I was on effexor for a year and yes I did gain about 30 lbs. I also lost my desire to have sex and could not even reach an orgasm at all. The worst part of this medication is trying to get off of it. The withdrawals are horrible. I switched to wellburtin xl and it works just as good for me and has no side effects, at lest to me. Everyone is different. Maybe talk to your doctor and see what he says. I wish you the best of luck!
Thank you!
I have been taking Effexor XR since April, and I haven't gained weight, but I had been dieting/exercising since January, lost 16 lbs by April, and since starting the medicine, I haven't been able to lose any more weight. But that could just be a coincidence. As far as sexual side effects, I've had very low libido, but I was like that before taking it anyway! :( But the medication is helping me feel better (I've been taking it for anxiety), so that is definitely a plus!

To Wanting: Effexor is an anti-depressant used for many different disorders such as Anxiety Disorders, or Depression.
What is effexor?
I have been taking 150 mg of Effexor for 6 years now, it never affected my weight.  I don't know if it affects my sex drive because I had only been having sex <1 month when I went on it.  But I consider my sexual appetite to be pretty healthy.  I wouldn't worry too much!
I had lost all of my baby weight 6 weeks after my baby was born. Thats when they said I had PPD. They had started me on effexor and worked my way up to 225mg. In 3 weeks i put on 30 lbs. Lost all of my sex drive. I do think that effexor is my number one problem.
Barb135 commented on FDA issued a warning ...
1 hr ago
KTowne, Belle313, and LandM2009 commented on renae176's status
FDA issued a warning letter
8 hrs ago by gymdandee
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals