elastic hymen
I have always had exquisite pain during pelvic exams. I have been monogamous with only one sexual partner and have been through 3 consecutive normal exams, so I haven't had any repeat ones for a few years. I have been told at my last pap smear two years ago that the reason why I have such embarrassing pain is that I have an elastic remnant of a hymen and also my cervix is not in the usual position, both adding to the difficulty of inserting the speculum. My doctor asked me if sex was an issue for me; at that time, no, my husband and I were having satisfying relations. He was good with that answer and told me that it would probably tear on its own during natural childbirth . . .

Well, now that we're actually trying to conceive, we have realized that all the pleasurable sex we were having previously is because instead of going into my vagina, he stays between my labia (as far as we can tell). It's great for me--he stimulates my clitoris well--and great for him too. But, not great for fertilization, right? We have figured it was in my labia because when he ejaculates, most of it immediately comes out.

My question: does this make medical sense? Would a microperforate hymen or hymenal band be consistent with what I'm describing? Would you recommend a hymenectomy? Should we try different positions (we usually end up in the missionary position with him on top)? I appreciate your input.

Thanks,
J