endometrial ablation for 30-something women?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I'm 34 yrs old and have had heavy periods for many, many years.  I am becoming increasingly interested in the endometrial ablation option, but I know this procedure generally isn't performed on women my age.  I have to admit that part of the reason I've become interested is b/c I've seen newspaper ads for NovaSure that feature younger-looking women!

I had two uterine polyps removed via hysteroscopy in late 2004.  A D&C was also performed.  This didn't help with my heavy periods, so I decided to try the Pill.  Since then I've tried Yasmin, Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, Necon, and Jolessa... I've had problems with ALL of them, whether it was breakthrough bleeding that never abated (Ortho, Necon, Jolessa) or mood problems, irritability, and loss of sex drive (Yasmin, Jolessa).  I just stopped taking Jolessa recently b/c I was bleeding for three weeks straight.  

I am of course fully aware that pregnancy is not an option after ablation.  I don't have children and do not plan on having biological children.  I haven't wavered in this decision for years (and I am in a stable, three-year relationship with a boyfriend who is aware of this decision).

Is ablation a viable option for me?  Has anyone out there in their 30s had this procedure done?  If not a viable option, then any suggestions on what next, or will I just have to live with the situation until menopause?  Thank you!
This probably isn't very reliable info. But a friend of a friends (see what I mean) had the procedure done. She had 3 children and was in her early 40s. 3 month's later she has little to no bleeding whatsoever and recommends it to anyone. Find a dr in your area and check into it to see if it would work for you. Best wishes.
I am 35 and had Novasure in August of 2006.  I had almost of all your problems and tried almost everything you had.  Novasure worked for me!  I had bleeding/spotting for about a month after the proceedure, and a year later I am still period free.
i meant i swear i can't win by the way.

One other thing that I wanted to let you know.  I have no idea why, but my hormones got messed up after I had novasure done.  I have no idea why, but some do have that problem.  I was like you and could not take birth control pills.  They made my period spot or they made me mean.  Even though I still have spotty periods every month I am glad that I got my uterus out.
I am 29 years old and had that procedure done about 10 months ago, I had it done due to bad heavy periods.  Turns out my lining was twice as thick as normal.  It did help my periods some, but I ended up having my uterus out in January this year.  I personally would have wished I just went ahead and had my uterus out to begin with.  Most people that have the novasure procedure done don't have periods afterward, I am the exception to that.  There are some people that do still have issues.  Personally I would talk to your doc about just getting your uterus out because I have everything else but that.  I do know that when the doc went in to take my uterus out, that it just started falling apart due to the novasure procedure.  It took the doc longer to do the surgery because it was so many pieces.  Good luck.  You have heard from Mchel who never had a period after she had it done, by the way Mchel your lucky must be nice.  I am sure there are very many that still have period issues.  Heck I don't have a uterus, but since I have my cervix I still have light periods every month due to the uterus cells ontop of my cervix.  I swear I can win.
I too am only 36, and I will be having abalation done this Friday. Two of my sisters also have had this done, and both are very happy with their results. They are both in their 40's. Talk to your Dr. I don't think age is as important as your state of health. I have been bleeding for 19 days straight now and am willing to try almost anything. I do have 3 children, so just be sure you wouldn't regret your decision to not have children. They can be such a joy to have. Wish you the best.