enlarged clitoris

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

enlarged clitoris

My daughter is 11 years old and she started puberty this past year. Her clitoris seems very large and it looks as though there is a small, undeveloped head of a penis on the end. I don't want her to feel there is something wrong with her but I was wondering why this is and what could be done?
It's probably her clitoris.  As she develops, her labia might or might not grow to cover it.  Check out Betty Dodson's illustrations online -- if memory serves, one of them shows a clitoris that looks like a little button sticking out, and I don't think it was an erect clitoris, just a normal one.  Women's genitals all can look very different.
My sister's clitoris sticks out from her labia and has been told that it is nothing to be concerned about. all are different, some are small, some large. she is definately a healthy fertile female.

the penis and clitoris grow from the same nub on the embryo. If she asks, offer to have it checked out, but don't "do anything about it" unneccesarily (such as a cosmetic surgery). the last thing you would want is to risk loss of sensation.
I am experiencing the same issue, but I'm not as comfortable discussing matters with my mother.
Could it possibly be an infection? I don't want to risk infertility over such a small thing.
Women as well as uncircumsized men produce smegma.  Smegma is a combination of sweat and body oil.  

Both men and women produce smegma.  Smegma is usually associated with an uncircumcised male who does not practice good hygiene.  In women smegma forms under the clitoral hood.

An accumulation of smegma under a woman’s clitoral hood can cause irritation, an unpleasant smell, and can because of irritation cause the retractable hood to adhere to the glands leading to a bacterial infection.  

Unfortunately, some women make no particular effort to clean under the clitoral hood.  Retracting the hood and rinsing with plain water will keep the area clean enough.  If soap is used an unscented soap is best.  

If a woman discovers a pustule, pimple or an abscess, do not attempt to squeeze it to evacuate the puss.  The contents of the pustule, pimple or abscess can easily be forced into unaffected areas causing the spreading of the offending bacteria.  Hot, moist compresses applied every four hours for twenty minutes should either cause the cyst to disappear or burst on its own.  Continue applying hot, moist compresses until healing is complete.   Of course salted bath water will also be of help.  

Men, particularly, military men have been taught to pee and wash after having unprotected sex with a partner not well known.  Because of a woman’s more complicated structure, I think, a sponge bath and a pee would also help them from having bacterial infections of the urethra as well as other thingy-dinghies.

Hopefully these suggestions will be helpful.  
Maybe she is an intersexual. Look it up (: