external yeast?
Hi everyone, my question is ... is it possible to have an external yeast infection (affecting outer labia and clitoral hood) and not have a vaginal yeast infection?  I ask this because several months ago I had some symptoms of external yeast that responded very well to external monistat cream.  Well I noticed the same kinda symptoms today ... itching labia, with lumpy exudate around my clitoris and labia majora.  There have not been any bumps or open area (unless i scratch).  The last time this happend I started using Baby Wash soap for my private area and it seems to have helped ... well yesterday I used Summers Even feminine wash for sensitive skin and today I'm itching again.  
I understand this can be an allergic reaction to the soap, however I wondered if it was possible to have an external infection and not an internal infection?
Thank you in advance for any response
Vaginal yeast infections are caused by Candida albicans, which, along with a few types of bacteria, are normally present in relatively small numbers in your crotch. sometimes the yeast multiplies rapidly and takes over, causing a full-fledged yeast infection, or, in the heart-warming terminology of the medical establishment, candidiasis or monilia. this can be due to a change in the vaginal environment, injury, sexual transmission, or HIV. common environmental disruptions that favor yeast include increased pH, increased heat and moisture, allergic reactions, elevated sugar levels, hormonal fluxes, and reductions in the populations of bacteria that are normally present.
I would recommend to stop using any sort of soap or cleanser, including vaginal cleanser. Although those cleansers are supposed to be safe for vaginal use, they can sometimes contribute to yeast infections and irritations and sometimes make them worse.
Of course, I would recommend going to a doctor. You want to make sure that what you are experiencing is in fact a yeast infection, and if so, you should get a stronger medicated treatment. I know how uncomfortable and irritating such infections can be, and you should go to the doctor for some physical relief, if not also more knowledgeable medical answers. hope this helps!
It IS possible to get a yeast infection anywhere on your body that is wet for a prolonged period of time.

Breastfeeding mothers, for example, can develop sore pink nipples... and white patches develop inside the babies mouth (thrush). When this happens both mom and baby have to be treated.

Why take your chances though on just guessing its only on the outside when it could be inside also?  The whole area, including your vaginal walls, needs to be treated.

I never had any other yeast infection but the external one you describe. It happened 4 times and I can say for sure it was not related to sexual activity as there was none but evolved during times I ate too many sweets and either wore fully synthetic underwear or used panty liners with plastic inlays. Sounds ridiculous but it was my body complaining about unnatural substances.
Most definitely STOP using the feminine washes.  Inside your vagina are bacteria fighting agents (good guys).  Using those washes will remove the good agents making you more vulnerable to bacteria/infections!

I agree about the feminine washes. I have never had a yeast infection in my life, but if I use anything except for unscented hypoallergic soap down there, I will itch and swell up to the point of crying.

Try to lay off all the fancy stuff you're using. Try going to a health food store (or section of a grocer) and find a natural soap. Ask for one for allergic skin.