extreme tiredness after eating
67 years, 15 lbs overweight, retired, 5'7", 167 lbs...
As I get older I am finding that no matter what I eat (carbs, sugars, protein, etc) I become extremely sleepy and at times have sat in my chair napping off and on the whole day. I do not smoke or drink, take levothyroxin and recently had it checked (is within the normal range with meds) but can't seem to find any energy after eating. I have had a gastric bypass in 2001, did well w/o any problems until this last year and have gained 17 pounds. The energy level is making it much worse as the weight gain causes depression. I have had back surgery and torn rotator cuff surgery which limits my exercising. I have exercised in the past and enjoyed it but the knees and hip allows about 1/2 mile stretch but that has ceased with the tiredness. My Dr. prescribed Methylin which helped a great deal but I now live in California and she is located in Salt Lake City and it is a controlled drug so refills are impossible without a $500 plane trip to see her. Please help as I am a widow and drive alone and have become very tired driving home after a luncheon/dinner engagement. Is there a doctor in my area that specializes in my predicament? I live on the central coast/Los Osos, CA, San Luis Obispo County area. I am 4+ hours from any large city (LA - SF) where specialists are more available. I can't seem to find anyone here. Thank you for your input.
Jane Sweeney
Did you get your thyroid checked at any point?  There has got to be a specialist in your area that could help, you may want to go to a local doctor first and see if they can refer you to a specialist.  Keep us posted.