extreme vaginal itching
I am 42 and have been itching and scratching to fairly severe extremes the last 3 years. I have seen several doctors, many of whom don't bother with a physical exam and diagnose yeast. It is not yeast but they offer no explanation as to the cause. I have tried various underwears made from organic fibre's to no avail. I haved washed with different soaps, cleansers and no cleansers other then water, still no result. I have taken pinworm medication in hopes this was the root of the problem, it wasn't worms. I am running out of ideas and am injuring myself on a regular basis at this point. Does anyone know if urine leakage can cause these symptoms? It is a small amount but I am out of ideas at this point.
Sounds like you likely have vulvodynia, the common treatment for the overactive nerve disorder is along the same lines as that of fibromyalgia; by using a combination of tricyclic antidepressants like cymbalta along within an antihistamine for the itching. There are many more methods to treat this chronic condition which you can discuss with a pain specialist, have your GP make the referral.