fallen bladder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

fallen bladder

what causes droopy/fallen bladder and how can it be repaired?  My doctor told me that my bladder was beginning to droop through my vagina but it wasn't too bad yet.  I do wet myself when I laugh very hard.  Any advice?

This discussion is related to What can I expect?.
what you have is known as a bladder prolapse.  Was your doctor a gynaecologist? I recommend you see a gynaecologist to discuss your options - they are experts on treating these kinds of things.  It is caused by aging and or childbirth, and sometimes happens for no reason.  It can be repaired in a number of ways and a gynaecologist can tell you all about it and offer the most suitable option for you.  Although it may not be too bad at the moment, they can get worse, especially as you get older, so i think its best to get it sorted sooner rather than later.  Advice-wise, pelvic floor exercises are a good start, and steer clear of caffeine and alcohol.  Empty your bladder more often than you normally would (ie before you feel the need to go) and this should help the leakage lessen.  Good luck
ps you can try googling "bladder prolapse" and see if that offers more info
let us know how you get on
thank you for the info.  Yes, two doctors told me, both Gynocologists.  The last one told me it wasn't too bad (2 yrs ago).  However, for the past few weeks I felt a small discomfort in that area and everyday the feeling seemed to worsen.  I finally took a hand mirror and took a peek and I was shocked and scared at the size of the bulge. Now that I am aware of it, it feels even worse.  Will be seeing my dr on 12/3 and I can't wait.Never knew this condition existed until now and it is traumatic. Not only that but it sounds gross and it's not like you can discuss it nonchalantly with anyone. Women do go through a lot.  Will keep you up to date.
how young can you be when you get this?
Do try pelvic exercises (Kegels), but if it has prolapsed that much it may not work.  It is not uncommon so don't be embarrassed.  

To answer notoriousgem42's question, I worked for urologists, and you tend to see this problem start as early as later 40s and more common the older we get.  Pregnancy and childbirth weakens these muscles.  Pelvic floor exercises (Kegels) should be done by all women for better sex, orgasms, and to generally fight gravity and keep our organs where they belong.  

It can be repaired with surgery, and of course, choose your surgeon carefully.  Check out his license with the medical board in your state, and talk to patients who have had the same surgery and see how they did.