found a cyst
i went in to the ER and they found a cyst in my ovary 6cm im just wondering is this big? it sounds so small but the DR looked really surprised. he said i needed surgery to get it removed and might have to get the whole ovary taken out but i was reading in  the papers that he gave me and it says that in some cases they have to remove the other one to but they dont know until they get in there. has this happened to anyone and if so why is it they have to take the other one? and if they have to take both then what do i need my uterous for?
I've just been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst which is 4cm and my gynecologist says that is small.  My sister had one removed at age 18 which was size of a grapefruit (considered large - it was a dermoid cyst)..

There are different types of cyst and some go away on their own after a few months, however if you have a dermoid cyst, these do not and you will have to have it removed at some point as they continue to grow.  They can cause pain and can twist.

If the ovary is damaged of diseased from the cyst they may remove it, or part of it, but it is not always necessary, so research and read as much info as you can before you make any decisions.

Your age (pre-menepausal or post-menapausal) , family history etc may also be factors
so you should speak to your doctor or gyne further.

Good luck, hope you reach the right decision for you.
I had a 10cm cyst on my ovary and there was no normal ovary left so I had the cyst and ovary removed because the whole thing was diseased. Sometimes the whole ovary may not be damaged and they can save some of it. My other ovary was fine so unless they see that the other ovary is damaged or diseased I cant see any reason for it to be removed as well.  Make sure you ask lots of questions and that everything is explained to you.
i had might right ovary removed 2 years ago because of a cyst 17 cm now i have to go back because iam growing another cyst on my left ovary which is 6 cm i have a choice to just remove the cyst are remove the other ovary dont no what to do... do any one have both of there ovaries removed if so what are the side effects i talk to a few people who said they dont have any side effects.
6cm is no problem.  I had surgury to remove my 30+cm cyst.  They took the left ovary and tube.

It will be fine.  When I was young and had my apendex out they found a 5 cm on that ovary so  I guess it always gives me problems.