greenish nipple discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

greenish nipple discharge

There is a dark green sticky discharge from one of my nipples
when it is squeezed ( the way you would express milk). It has
probably done that for a few years and I have never had
it checked at the doctor. Is this anything to be concerned about?

It has no odor and is very sticky and you have to squeeze quite
a lot for it to come out.
have you ever been pregnant and or nursing?
do you see a gynocologist regularly where he/she would do a breast exam? if yes, why would you not mention it to the dr.?
i have never heard of green discharge coming from a nipple. personally speaking, i would be concerned over that.
I did a google search with - Green discharge from nipples and this is what I could find.  You may want to do your own google search.

Dark green nipple discharge - mammary duct ectasia

I am 28 with fibrocystic breasts. For the past week my left breast has oozed dark green fluid but I do not have the usual swelling or pain. Could this be cancer? My doctor has ordered a mammogram.
The discharge may be due to the fibrocystic disease. However, such greenish discharge is also characteristic for an inflammation of the breast ducts called mammary duct ectasia which is not usually related to an underlying cancer nor does it put you at greater risk than the normal for breast cancer. Ectasia is an inflammation of the breast ducts that is not caused by bacteria. While it is usually a benign process, it can sometimes look like a cancer on a mammogram and thus will most likely require a biopsy. Also, surgery may be indicated if there is a very persistent, copious discharge, breast pain, nipple retraction or an underlying mass thought to be an abscess or inflammatory mastitis. It is difficult to treat and excision of the inflamed ducts is only about 85% successful. Whether the mammogram is benign or not, you should see a surgeon experienced in breast disease for further management.

Yes I was pregnant and nursed for a year, but that was 8 years
ago.

I noticed the green stuff, because one day i tried squeezing
out of curiosity to see if anything was left, even though it
was years ago.

It doesn't come out by itself and i never have any pain in
my breast.

But i think I will get it checked out next time i'm at the doctor.

I feel embarrassed bringing it up though, won't he wonder
how I noticed this?

Your doctor won't care how you noticed it.  They see some pretty crazy things on a regular basis.

Just be glad that you did notice it because green discharge from your nipple is not normal.  Call you doc for an appt!
im having the same problem,i had a mammogram and they said it was normal
Normal functioning (physiological discharge)
Physiological nipple discharge usually occurs in both breasts and happens only when the breast tissue is manipulated in some way, such as by squeezing the nipple to check for discharge.
The discharge may be clear, yellow, white or dark green.
Stimulation of the nipple actually increases the likelihood of discharge, so it's best to leave your nipples alone and avoid checking them. This type of discharge often resolves on its own.

An inflamed duct (mammary duct ectasia)
Mammary duct ectasia is one of the most common conditions related to abnormal nipple discharge.
It causes one or more of the ducts beneath your nipple to become inflamed and clogged with a thick, sticky substance that's green or black. Most often, it affects women in their 40s and 50s.
You can relieve some of your symptoms by applying warm compresses to your breast.
Taking aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, may help relieve some symptoms. Also, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics to clear up any infection.
In some cases, surgery might be necessary to remove the affected duct.

I have noticed my bra having two spots where my nipples are. I figured I am running around all day and maybe I have some discharge coming out since I finished breast feeding a two years ago. I finally asked my doctor about it (I'm not sure how long this has been going on) and he said most likely it's nothing, but he sent in a sample to test. It is coming out of both nipples equally and is a green color,

Any thoughts.
My sister is having these simptoms and is very scared she has a dr appointment next week.  I hope you can giver her some words of encouragment since you have had this experience and have advised that your mammogram came back normal.  Thank you for sharing.
I have had some dark green discharge coming from my left breast for about 3wks now.  (only when I squeeze it)  I have a dr. app. next week and I'm thankful to hear that it might not be really bad. I'll let you know what happens thanks
I just came across this blog. I am 28 years old use the mirena IUD and have never had children.  Two years ago I began having a dark green and sticky discharge out of my right nipple.  I went to the breast care center after a referral from my doctor.  They performed an ultrasound as they felt I was too young for a mammogram. Nothing was seen and they sent me on my way and said they would do a mammogram at 30.  Lately my nipple has also become much darker than the other one. I thought I was crazy but my husband confirmed it.  I am not in pain but it doesn't seem like it is a normal thing.  I get my IUD out in a month so that I can get pregnant.  I am interested to see if that stops the issue.  Does anyone else have an IUD?
I am 59 and have had dark green discharge from nipples since I was 16 years old. Nothing to worry about. However i notice that caffine will make it worse , rather the discharge is more.in quanity.
I have  had a greenish discharge from my right breast ever since I had my first child.  Ihave had several mamograms done and the doctor(s) have told me that it is not anything to worry about.  but if you ant more information on the possible causes  go to:

www.mayoclinic.com/health/nipple-discharge/WO00093

that is WO (3 zero's) 93
..I  just turned 40 .........when I had my first child 22 years ago they gave me a shot to stop producing milk...and  had no discharge for 4 years ...then had last child  who is now 18 ....they no longer  gave shots to dry up the milk..so I have  always had a milky clear discharge on both of my nipples since he was born.. (NEVER BREAST FED) a couple of days ago I had noticed a greenish stinky discharge coming out of only my left nipple only when squeezed...I made a doctor appointment cuz I am freaked out. I go Tuesday....I have been on many wed sites trying to get answers..and this wed site has helped me the most..I am still scared..the word cancer freaks me out  and all I kept thinking was cancer cancer cancer...but reading your comment  and knowing that there are other wemoen out there with the same problem  and things are ok...has put my mind on ease...THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS
I have had a watery like green discharge comming out of my right breast for about a year. I went in for a mammogram this morning ( I also have lumps in both breasts) from everything that I have read online about discharge it doesn't sound like it's linked to breast cancer. It's more common than we think. I'm going to see my Dr on friday will let you know what he has to say about it.
is anybody else taking estrogen and notice that they are having discharge? I had a hysterectomy 2 yrs ago today and wonder if taking the hormones has any possible link to the discharge?
I have had breast discharge ever since college and I am 39 years old...for years I thought the doctors were missing something as I also have very lumpy breasts (some women just do)...I finally received some piece of mind when I both read in a womens health book and was told by a specialist that breast discharge can be ANY color of the rainbow, the time for concern is when it is red/bloody.  Have it checked out but then relax as it can be perfectly normal...i believe its called galactoria (sp?)  ...however the mainsteam health industry doesnt know much about this, clearly and my insurance carrier (american family) declined coverage on ANY breast issues due to this "condition" that is not an illness, but simply is.
PS, I have GREEN colored discharge along with clear discharge that comes out different spots of the nipples, of BOTH breasts when ever squeezed...and on rare occasions by themselves... and have for YEARS...so dont be scared...but see the doctor to be sure.  
signed, bodyissues
I have a blackish clear fluid that comes out of my of my nipples whenever I squeeze it. . When it's spred out it looks more blue than black. Clear, to a thick yellowish white substance comes out of the other one. I had it checked out and the doctor told me the same thing, that it can be any color of the rainbow. As long as it's not redish or dark brown.  I think mine may be this color from smoking? .I'm not sure, but I wonder if the color has to do with what you are putting in your body.  I imagine it's like beast feeding, the things you put in your body end up in your breasts. I've seriously got to quit smoking, I'm going to try that new prescription medication, I heard it is helping a lot of people to quit. Anyways, I wonder if whatt we put in our body may be a contributing factor of us getting breast cancer. I also wonder if we should be squeezing this stuff out of out breasts or not. I think it's good if we do it, just to see what color it is, but I also wonder if squeezing them can help to keep bad stuff from building up in them. Or if the irration being caused by squeezing them is not a good thing to do on a regular basis. This has become a habit for me, but I'm not sure if it's a good habit or not. I am also always checking for lumps, I know that is a good thing to do. I just am a little paranoid about breast cancer. My aunt got it in her thirties. I also knew a couple other people who died from it. They were all young people.
i came along this forum when i was trying to search about greenish nipple discharge. actually i am very worried about it but when i came along this forum my fear had somewhat been minimized. i am just worried a little since i feel a little pain in the breast but not actually persistent. I am not also sure whether i had one instance wherein i found a bloody discharge in one of my breast but that's only once. Had anyone encountered such instances? Should i be alarmed about that?
I wouldn't worry at all about this. I have very large cysts in my breasts. Last year I went to a surgeon and he aspirated two of them.  They were both filled with greenish black liquid which he said is quite harmless and NOT a sign of cancer. He only did this on one breast and it is now noticeably smaller than the other one. I still have a greenish black discharge from both breasts but now I'm not worried at all. I just wish I could have all my cysts aspirated. It didn't hurt at all, but having the cysts sure do! I hope this helps someone.
It's really good to be able to discuss these issues with women with similar experiences. Having finished breastfeeding my daughter two years ago, I regularly squeeze my nipples to see if there is anything left in them. Usually some yellowish fluid comes out, much like colustrum. But last night some greenish blue fluid came out of one duct and IT FREAKED ME OUT!

I went to the docs today and he said there is only the remotest chance of it being the C word, but is more likely a cyst or something. So he's sending me to a breast clinic.

I just want to say thanks to all of you who offer the time to share experiences as it's really reassuring.

Will let you know the verdict. xxx
I have had the green,sticky discharge for about 2 years, however about 1 year ago I also had some sores under my left breast.  I went to my primary Dr. and he told me it was shingles, I am only 27 so shingles is not common for my age.  I did not think to mention the discharge to the Dr.  I am now 9 mths pregnant and told some of the nurses at work, they told me to tell my OB Dr. So we will see what happens.  I wonder too if I can still breast feed??
I have had greenish discharge since I was 19ish and I am now 38. Doctors have evaluated this on many different occasions with mammograms, ultrasounds and hormone blood work along with thyroid workups. I was on birth control when it began, but I haven't been on any for 15 years, and it's the same with or without. All tests were always normal. I have very very fibrocystic breasts; they are usually very tender, ache and are hard to examine on routine mammograms. I am now having digital mammography which helps.

I haven't had caffeine in 10 years and that did stop some tenderness but not the discharge.

Discharge should be checked out to rule out anything un-normal, but you shouldn't get too worried about it either as it is normal for many woman including me. Hope this helps!!!
Also I wanted to comment that I breast fed both my girls; The first one for 2 years, and the second daughter for 2 1/2 years.
Thank god I found this site! I have exactly the same kind of symptoms described here and I am 19 years old with no health conditions and on no medications.
I guess this is the normal pains of being a girl, huh?
I will check with my doctor just in case though.
I am 18 years old. I just notice this discharge when I squeez my left breast. Its greenish gray and I am going to my gyno 2mro to see what going on do any of you have large breast I do they are 40DD and they grew from a 36DD in one month. Could this be why they got bigger.
27 yrs old., breastfed daughter four years ago, not pregnant, dark green discharge coming from sore breasts:
Okay, I have to say, reading all of these comments has set my mind at ease a little bit. But I am still FREAKED out about having dark green alien goo coming from my breasts! This cannot be normal! And now I'm having a lot of pain especially in my left breast (which is where I always had the most pain when I breast fed my daughter 4 years ago.) I figure the ducts all work the same way, whether breastfeeding or not. So whichever ducts gave me the most problems then are giving me problems now. The pain is very similar to the way it felt when I almost had mastitis when I nursed my daughter. My breasts are not any larger than they usually are, but I notice a little swelling where the glands are under my armpit (which is where it really hurts.) I have an appointment with the doctor in a few weeks, so we'll see what he says... but whether or not this is "normal," I don't want to just live with it. I want it taken care of. There has to be some kind of infection in there, so why not just prescribe an antibiotic and be done with it. I mean, I'm sorry, but green alien goo coming from my breasts is just not gonna fly with me, and neither is the pain.
Glad I'm not the only one FREAKED out by it.
I am a 27 year old women.  I had 3 childeren already.  About 4 years ago I went to a clinic to get my brests checked because both of my brest really hurt and they had lumps in both brests.  The Dr. felt around and told me they felt like cycts.  Th Dr. had me get an altura sound done and a mamogram (mammogram).  Well, I did get an altra sound done but they told me that I was too young for a mamogram (mammogram), so I could not get that done.  I still hve the really bad pains in my brests still.  Now, 4 years later, I noticed that I am feeling alot of little kicking in my stomack, my stomack is getting alittle bigger, my brests are getting bigger, but I am having green discharge comming out from both breasts.  Almost 8 years ago, I had my tubs tied and burned because of the 50% chance of me or the baby would die from the 2 c-cetions I had already.  The Dr. told me that my insides were too thin from having 2 c-sections.  I am just wondering if I am pregnet or if there is something wrong.  
I am a 30 Yr. old woman who has had Green Nipple Discharge for about 2 yrs. now... Been very worried for awhile, I have had swabs twice and both times they have came back normal.... I have a mammogram on Wedns. I hope all goes well. The thing that worries me is the pain. My breasts are always tender, especially after I have taken my Bra off at the end of the day..... I understand that most of the time the discharge is normal, But I dont think the pain would be.. Anyone who has had any experience that could make me less worried, Please help. Thank You So Much
I have the same problem. I am a 30 year old women and have two children youngest one 8 years old. My husband noticed the green discharge while we were intimate otherwise I would never have known. I panicked (as you do) then headed straight for the web. I came across lots of different web pages to be honest some scared me. Anyway I came across this web page which put me at ease till I got to the doctor. When I went to see the doctor he checked me over for any other symptoms of which there were none. He said I was fine and this just happens sometimes (blocked milk ducts). He did say if anything changes to come straight back. So don't panic but make sure you get checked out. :)
Im 12 and I have greenish and clear liquid coming out of my RIGHT nipple when I squeeze it . I don't know what to do ! If I should go to the dr. or if I should just leave it alone ..... please commet back .
I have had the Green-ish color ozing from my right breast since I had to get a steroid shot for broncitisis. However, I am only 29 years old and the doctor scheduled a mamogram (mammogram) and ultrasound for me to get the breast looked at more closely. But when the results came back they found nothing. So I was put on an anti-biotic for 14 days and sent home. However, I was informed by the lady who did the mamogram (mammogram) that women my age will get sists that will come and go, which could be the cause of the ozing color. I still want to get a second opinion and feel intitled to it, because they even had me put some on a slide to look at it under the microscope and found nothing. So I am calling first thing Monday to get a referal to another doctor that specializes in this area. Fingers crossed it is not something life threatining.
I went to the doctor and she never really gave me a clear answer she just said it was normal. I am still haveing the discharge and my breast went from DD to DDD in a matter of months. Has anyone else tried to find out whats going on?
Sometimes the discharge can occur when you stop taking your pill for a while.
Dude, I think you're right.  I'm 24, never been pregnant, and I've gone off the pill for a while and suddenly this crazy discharge kept coming up!  It's greenish gray from the left breast and a milky ivory from the right.  

I went to the doctor and we couldn't express any while I was there (of COURSE).  But I had an ultrasound and a mammogram (at my insistence, although they thought I was too young for the mam) and they found nothing.  It doesn't come out unless I coax it, but I'm still freaked out about it.  It's been going on for about a year now, and I'm not sure what to do!  
I have had a thick greenish (dark) discharge from my left nipple for as long as i can remember. My nipples tend to get itchy and tender each month...I have previously breastfeed 3 children and the youngest is 6...Last year i had a ultrasound and mammogram as i have a strong family history of breast cancer... both of which were completely normal my GP then sent me for blood tests and on to a surgeon to rule out the possibility of a Pituitary Tumour (as nipple discharge is a pre cursor), thankfully all was ok and the discharge was put down to hormones... but i will continue to have it checked regularly.!!!! Hopefully this will help a few of you to ease your mind.... but always have things checked out....
I was exposed to high levels of cadmium in my last job and my blood level showed 9.7 and I have had a greenish discharge from my breast for almost 2 years now. I have a worker's comp case going against the employer but I don't have the money to get to a doctor. I have googled researchers for this. What else do I need to do? please anyone,,,,,,, Tina in Georgia
Its perfectly normal, I've had this for a long while, nothing seems to affect it, birth control or not. My doctor said its completely normal. No need for crazy tests ladies, SAVE YOUR MONEY! Sometimes our body does things that seems weird, but they're not. Also tender itchy nipples every month, is from your hormones during your period!
I have the same green stuff only its now really painful. I am on pain medication but i have had 2 lots of antibiotics, 2 ultrasounds and 2 swabs and slides done, still nothing. I dont knows whats wrong but its affecting my daily life and i have a 3yr old and i am not coping with being drowsy. Anyone got any definitive answers????
i am 39 and im having the same problem but on both nipples left and right and i saw the breast doctor and she told me it is a zist and i have to come up with 1000 dollars to get surgery done and i cant come up with that amount at all and im praying that it is only a zist not cancer. but see i had a blood transferusion 17yrs ago and ive been having problems now and it scares me. how i got the blood transferusion is that i lost alot of blood and my oldest daughter was a baby still and like i said its been 17yrs ago and now im having problems that i never had before. can someone tell me about what the black/greenish stuff is and what caused it?
GREEN BLUEGREISH, AQUA GREEN SOMEHWERE IN THOSE COLORS I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.  In 2008 I had a mammogram and they found a lump, I had a biopsy is was none cancerous  and it was ok to leave the mass alone.  I was also told that the blueish grayish mucus was from fibrosistic breast so it was normal but i would have to get regular breast exams every 6 months to a year just to check on this mass.  Well i never had the mass removed so every year i get a breast exam dont there is a clip where the spot is where the biospy took place everything has been fine until today 8/31/2011 i was told another mass has developed and it may be a papilomian  mass which could or could not be cancerous well my next apointment is 9/12/11.  They will do another biopsy needle what is the best biopsy procedure please anyone has any answers.
I am also on mirena and experiancing the same discharge from my nipples ...Im going to ob/gyn to  try and find out whats happening hope this isnt some side effect that could lead to something worse... fla
thank god for the site! i have had this greenish discharge for quite a while now and am afraid to go to the doctor!! don't want to hear the C word figured since there's no cure i rather not know!! First found out about it while being intimate with my husband and he said my breasts tasted bitter!! how embarrassing for me!!! Has anyone else had that problem and those this cause u to become infertile? i want another baby!
I have had a dark greenish discharge (at first it looked almost black) coming from right nipple (only when manipulated) accompanied by itching. It started shortly after I had my last child 16 years ago. I'm 46. The itching ranges from mild to somewhat intense.  However, it is usually worse around a week or so before I get my period. I have always had regular mammos, everything was normal.  But when I became concerned about the discharge and itching I had an ultrasound done. It was normal. However, I was advised to see a specialist which I did.  The specialist I saw did not conduct an ultrasound of his own and based upon a visual, said it looked like my nipple was puckering and said I would have to have a biopsy. I was uncomfortable with that so I did my research.  I found out that it is advised that a woman seek an expert opinion from a dedicated breast imager regarding an abnormal mammogram reading before undergoing a biopsy.  That is exactly what I did. I chose to see a nationally renowned breast imager who came from Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.  After reviewing the films and reports, she conducted a high resolution ultrasound, performed a breast exam and also tested the discharge (which was not blood). She was able to tell me that it was definitely not breast cancer. She said she'd seen all kinds of discharge, but this was nothing to be concerned about. The itching? She said use cortizone. It was worth every cent for me to get a second opinion from a leading doctor in the field because it gave me back my piece of mind. Rule of thumb - when in doubt, get it checked out.  I hope this helps others. - ChrisofNJ
Hi! I know this thread is a few years old, but I thought I'd reply anyway.

So, I am 23 years old, and in September of 2010, I noticed a pain and tenderness in my right breast. At the time, I was on birth control, and had missed a couple of my pills. My period ended up being a month late. I squeezed my breasts, and a milky fluid came out. I freaked out and thought I was pregnant.

So then I made an appointment at planned parenthood, they determined that I was not pregnant and they examined my breast. They were concerned because it appeared that the discharge was only coming out of one duct in my right breast, which they then told me was often a sign of some type of abnormality, infection, etc. They then made me discontinue my birth control because it could possibly worsen my situation. I feared getting pregnant so they offered me the mirena IUD. That's what I have now.

I was then referred out to a breast specialist. Because of my young age, I have not been taken very seriously by the doctors. In addition, my tests have all been inconclusive. I was given a breast ultrasound, in which nothing abnormal was found. The doctors refused to order a mammogram for me because they said I was too young and that it would not be able to detect anything. So then, they ordered a duct-o-gram for me, which is a process where they insert a catheter with a tiny camera on the end of it, into the duct that has the discharge. They then fill your duct with contrast solution and they look around with the camera and take pictures to find any obstruction. This procedure turned out to be a complete, torturous, disaster for me and ended in tears. Apparently, the procedure is supposed to be quick, and with little pain, so no medication or painkillers are offered for your comfort. Luckily my mom came with me and popped some xanax in my mouth to calm me down. However, it still went horribly wrong. The doctor kept apologizing to me, because in order to insert the catheter (which was the size of a small safety pin needle) he needed to squeeze out the discharge to find the opening of the affected duct. He kept trying to insert the needle but couldn't get it to go in. He spent 45 minutes trying to shove it into my nipple and it hurt so badly, the nurses were holding my head away so I couldn't watch because my nipple actually started to bleed. Finally, the doctor called it quits and reported it as unsuccessful because of my age, my breast tissue is too tight and I have never breast fed so my ducts are not dilated.

So now, 1 year and 3 months after my initial doctor appointment, I am still trying to figure out what is wrong. The thing that is really scaring me, is that my discharge has now gone from milky, to dark green. In addition, over the last year, I have two lumps in the upper area of my breast, that were not there last year when this all started. I noticed the new lumps when I was at the gym using the machine where you lay on your chest on the padded bar and then do crunches. The padded bar pressed into my chest and I felt a pain like there was something pressing into me, I looked and realized it was in my breast. They have been growing, and when I told my doctor, she couldn't find them and dismissed me. Now, 6 months later, I have a new doctor and I showed her exactly where they are, and she was able to feel them.

So now today I go in for an MRI. The doctors tell me that this is the last test they can do for me unless some other symptoms develop. I don't understand why but that's what they said. So if anyone out there reading this has had a similar experience, I'd love to hear what your diagnoses and treatment were etc.

Thanks so much.

Kia
i am 16 and have thick greenish yellow THING on my left nipple ...i am just scared i havent met a doctor yet,should i??isitsomething serious ? plz answer quickly...
to every one having a greenish dischare from your breast please have it checked out because i didnt and i found out it is breast cancer so please dont wait get it checked
your spelling is what is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok all you young woman out there,and the older ones two .I am 49 yrs old and I two have been freaked out with the same sick dark green sticky fluid coming from both nipples. Well I have been to the doctor a 1,000 times for this .It is very embarcing to go to a Dr. and say hey doc i have this green fluid coming from my breast .well the first dr i seen made he fill like a freak i showed him and then he left the room only to return with 3 more male dr.s all of them looking at me like i was from outter space .well the dr told me in his 20yrs of being a dr he had never seen it before but said it was normal.sounds like something a man would say. well i did not like his answer so i went to another dr and they did a culture on the fluid and it came back as a staph infection. please insist the do a cultue on the fluid .
Actually if the Mayo Clinic says that discharge can be white, clear, yellowish, green or brown and is not necessarily ABNORMAL.  Research should be done before you post on someone's question and make them freak out.
Thank you
Rebecca
Im having the exact same problem. Called the dr. today and i have an apt. tomorrow. Only in my left breast and i felt the urge to touch it, and squeeze it. It was tingling thats why i touched it..i have a 6 yr. that i breastfed for 2yrs and a 3yr old that i breastfed for 2yrs. Hubby and i are ttc, with that being said i got off birthcontrol 2months ago. So hopefully its just my body trying to get rid of the hormones and trying to regulate. Im very concern, im finding out that it might be a BIG problem.
I have had this for years and years.  After the first year I brought it up to my dr who said it was nothing.  It still bothered me, so I brought it up again years later. Tests were conducted to check hormone levels, but that all came back normal.  
I have always had fibrocystic breasts.  It seems to happen more often when my breasts are tender before my period, or after being stimulated.  I see the post was from a long time ago, but hopefully others will see and know it is nothing to cause alarm.
That being said, if it is accompanied by other symptoms that is when it should be considered more carefully.  
What was your results? I,m having the same problem and I'm also going to get and MRI
So far ove heard to get it checked out for sure, one person said she didn't and now she has cancer, . Another said she had to specificly ask for a culture and found out she had staff. I barely have it, I have to actively try squeezing but it is a nasty green color. But, if your not sure about your body, and it's not normal... Go to a Dr. It is as easy as that. Only info you need from here is to update your Dr about all occurrences involved. Do a mam. A sonogram, a culture, a hormone test, and a check for cancer. This can all be done in one visit. Do not let your Dr tell you any different.better safe than sorry, get it done.
I am 30 years old and I just got out of the shower and I noticed that I had the white bumps but it was more elevated than normal and I squeezed it. Well the middle of my nipple looked like it had a black dot in it so I squeexed that and BLUE liquid came out it looked black when it was on my nipple and when I wiped it with a tissue it was light blue. I have been in 2 severe car accidents in the past year, my health is getting worse, I am starting to have cysts (all over - in my veins on my arm, under my chin, my earlobe, my groind area on both sides, etc) and I have not had my peroid in well over 3 months but i am not pregnant. I am really starting to get scared cause I am very very tired lately and I feel like no matter how my DR treats me for my accidents it makes it worse. I have no insurance and thats why I havent done a full head to toe exam. Any ideas?? suggestions?? Pleae help
I have the same green thing happening and had a mammogram yesterday and a yearly pelvic exam. I just squeezed it right out in front of the doc and said, what the hell is this! She did not seem alarmed but the first step is the mammogram so I'll wait to see what that shows. I am grossed out, though that I have goo in my breast (just the left one) and of course I think I have cancer and will die any moment. So I'm glad to find out a lot of other women are experiencing the same thing and that it may be ok. Still scary. Will update when it gets resolved or treated.
I am going through the same thing ...green discharge, left breast only. I have had the ultra sound, mammogram all the labs, smears, etc. I have been told that this is usually a non cancer thing and it happens due to duct issues or and infection or just happens and will go away. The good news is if they do the smear or tests to see if no blood is present and it is not, that lessens cancer fears (cancer is always an option here). In most cases it is NOT cancer and it is treated with antibiotics or if it is a clogged duct they might remove that duct.  The only time to really panic is if there is blood in the discharge. I have seen two docs and going to a surgeon next week just to be on the safe side of things. I have been told by both it is nothing to worry about ...all my labs showed no blood!  So ask for antibiotics for duct ecstasia or give it time and see if it goes away. Make sure to see your gyno first to see that there is no blood in the discharge! Good luck to everyon and I hope this helps.
I have had these same symptoms of milk, or a thick sticky green or blackish liquid come out of my nipples when my breasts are expressed as well. Funny thing is, my kids are 22 and 19 and i am a grandmother. My milk has never truly gone away. I began having mastitis after nursing.. Then fibrous tissue in the breasts.. Then, at 28 the discharge... I have had mammograms and ductograms and have been told there are no abnormalities and its likely hormonal. I am only 40. I am not yet in or peri menopausal. I recent did test for almost no testosterone at all in my body. Testosterone for women is a must as well as men, just smaller amounts. It actually affects the body in many ways. Many of the symptoms mimic hypothyroidism, but testosterone actually affects the breast tissue as well. After having seen a surgeon in regards the discharge and being told its likely hormones.. Its been 12 years.. Still here,still have it and yes my hormones are out of whack. Id ask a doc to check hormone levels in addition of any cancer concerns. Actually, if you read up on this, this kind of discharge is actually very normal and a huge percentage of women have it. Necer be embarrassed to ask your doc about health concerns. I am no doctor and actually encourage you to see one for this issue. I merely tell my story to ease minds that in many cases its hormones and its a lot more common problem then people realize.
what were the results?
It helps
I've had the green nipple discharge for awhile now ,was in one now in both. Had mammograms done over the last 2years nothing.  This year they found 5 nodules in 1 breast , now have to do prolactin test  again. I did one that came back normal 2 years ago. Ive had a cold for over a month that will not go away .  I want biopsy but radiology said wait 6 months and redo if i wait and its the big C then that's 6 months of no treatment.  Any suggestions?
thank you I have been having this same problem and was worried because I had two tumors removed but non cancerous. I have the dark green blackish discharge. I try to make light of it to keep from showing my worry by calling it my windex breast cause that's the color I think of when it happens. so thank you for your post. its helped ease my mind.
I have the same thing...only with one breast...same exact thing you said...it doesn't come out on it's own...no pain
Go with your instincts. Getterdone! You're entitled to peace of mind.
This is virtually never cancer related, it is usually hormonal and can be affected by high levels of processed sugar (it disrupts hormones) and caffeine plus a diet high in processed foods.  It can also be caused by benign pituitary tumours (they are almost always non cancerous)  I've had this since I had my child who is now 26.  The fact it often comes on when on the pill or coil or when some hormonal change is happening in the body, ie pregnancy, puberty etc shows how often it is connected to hormones generally and is very rarely anything to worry about.