hard lump under jaw - ligament?
My GP sent me to a surgeon for a biopsy consult.  There is a lump in my left armpit that has steadily grown since November.  It was the size of a medium-sized egg, but now it has spread out like an pancake.  I also discovered a hard lump under my left jaw this past February (almost where the curve of jaw is).  It's grown a little since I first discovered it (it was about the size of the tip of a fingernail at first), now it's about the size of a large pea, hard as bone, immoveable.  The surgeon first checked the jaw and told me not to worry about it, that it was the end of a ligament (not until I got home did I think, "a ligament just hanging on the underside of my jaw?")  Then he checked my armpit and told me that it was fatty tissue, and that I needn't worry about that either.  Anyway, he said that doing a biopsy on either one was going to be pointless.  The armpit explanation sounds plausible, but the hard knot under my jaw is a ligament?  Does that sound right?  Or am I just being paranoid.  I do see my GP again in a week, and I will ask her, but I just feel really duped.  I'm a 42 year old female.  Thanks for any input.
Just to make the picture a little clearer and eliminate something, you have had no dental issues as of late? No tooth infection, pain when chewing, etc? If none of these things are present, I would also be concerned. If you feel your gp is not pursuing this enough, see if you can get a second opinion. In a case like this, I would rather have a biopsy done and get neg results than not have one and find out later something is wrong.

Good luck and keep us posted. I wish I had an answer for you,hopefully your doc will change their mind and go for the biopsy.

Andi
What happened when you went back to your doctor? I have had a hard imobile lump under my jaw up under my ear. I was told it was a swollen lymph node,  but nothing to worry about. It has gotten to  almost the size of a golf ball. It's more under the skin than on the surface. It feels bigger when I turn my head to the side. It doesn't hurt unless I push on it. Sometimes is aches, but not really a bad pain. LIke I said, more like an ache and that's only once in a while. If it wasn't for the fact that it has been there so long and getting bigger I wouldn't worry about it. My GP say's not to worry, but I am. Does this sound like yours? What did your doctor say?
I have a pretty large lump on my neck right at my jawline right behind my ear. It gets bigger when I tilt my head to the side too.  I have a lump on the other side...but not nearly as big.  I went to my primary physician today and he did a blood work up...cbc count ect.  and am getting a MRI done tomorrow.  I am worried sick!!!!!!! I've also been really tired lately and my muscles seem weaker.  Does anyone know about this type of thing????
Come to find out...it was a swollen gland. I had mirena (an IUD) put in right before the swelling started along with all of the other symptoms I was having.  I got the Mirena taken out a month ago and the swollen lymph nodes are getting smaller each day. My doctor said that my body was rejecting the foreign object.  This can happen with people who have any sort of implant or foreign object in their body. Hope this helps!!!
I have a large lump under my jaw and an iud too. is it related?