heartbeat in head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

heartbeat in head

I don't need to take my pulse.  I can hear my heart beating in my head...very loudly!  I do have ringing in the ears which I have been able to deal with...but this beating of my heart in my head/ears really does drive me nuts.  I know it is a type of tinnitus,  but haven't been able to find any info on it except that I read once that it can be produced by plaque build-up in the carotoid (spelling?) arteries.  Can someone give me more information on this particular type of tinnitus or tell me what site to go to? (for what its worth, I am a 58-old woman in otherwise good health)
This is all I could find on the subject.

Pulsatile tinnitus, also called objective tinnitus, is a hissing, squealing, buzzing or roaring noise in your ear that follows the same rhythm as your heartbeat. The noise may vary in pitch and be loud enough to be distracting. Pulsatile tinnitus may be caused by certain disorders of the blood vessels, including:

Hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis)
High blood pressure (hypertension)
Turbulent blood flow caused by narrowing veins or arteries
Malformation of capillaries
Head and neck tumors
If you experience the signs of pulsatile tinnitus, see your doctor. Sometimes, a doctor can hear the sounds of pulsatile tinnitus with a stethoscope. Treatment depends on the underlying cause

Patulous Eustachian tube is the name of a rare physical disorder where the Eustachian tube, which is normally closed, instead stays intermittently open. As a result, when it is open, all of the patient's breathing, talking, swallowing, heart beat, etc. vibrates directly on the ear drum creating an effect that sounds like the patient has a bucket on his/her head
This is really interesting; when my fil had a stroke, he complained often that he felt like he "had a bucket over his head."  All that time it must have been a patulous Eustacian tube.  We just wrote it off as a side-effect of the stroke, which it could have been, but it is interesting that the disorder has its own name.
From my heart to yours...

It's not just the ladies that have a heart  (-:

I have one, too, as I can hear the heartbeat as well.  Better on the right side than the left.  I suffer from severe tightness and spasms in my neck that has me going nuts.  When the spasms start to get bad, I know that the heartbeat of America will not be far behind when I lay my head down.  For me, it is kind of soothing...I guess it says that I am alive, and since I don't have a sweetheart's heartbeat to listen to, I'd say it's the next best thing...

Do you hear the thumping all the time or when you are lying down?  If it is the latter, try to NOT have your head to the side.  That is when I have my drummer.
By covering the ear and possibly compressing the artery with the pillow is what I have experienced in the loudness of the sound.

Wishing you peace (and QUIET!),

Cats Are Fine...