horrible yeast infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

horrible yeast infection

I have had about 4 yeast infections in the past year and a half. This one seems the most brutal. My entire vagina is swollen and red. It itches and burns to the  point that i cant sleep. I just took diflucan two days ago so im waiting for some relief. I  use the topical but it doesnt seem to do anyhting, maybe just irritate me more. Can anyone suggest anything else.
also bare with me because i have posted about this before but i am always freaked out about herpes. My doctor has reassured me a million times i dont have it...and has taken a culture of a cut i got during one of my previous yeast infections, which came back negative. I just always freak out any time anything weird happens down there. i have no cuts or blisters or sores just an extremely red and swollen labia. Does this sound pretty normal for a yeast infection. and what can i do to help it. Thanks ladies!!
Hey -- It sounds like you definitely DONT have herpes - so don't freak yourself out.

I know it totally sucks when everything isn't perfect down there - and of course you can think of nothing else... BUT, you should be fine in a few days! The diflucan should start to work today or tomorrow.

In the meantime, try to keep the area as dry as possible... if you work, when you get home wear extremely loose cotton pants and no underwear.. Also, take 2 acidophilous pills a day - and you may want to continue with these to help prevent additional infections...

Try to stay outta there too - no creams of anything, let the diflucan work. You may need to take a second one to make sure it's totally gone...

Good luck, it will hopefully we better by tomorrow!
If you have had more than 3 or 4 yeast infections within the span of a year, that is now considered a chronic yeast infection. It used to be referred to as a recurring yeast infection, but they are changing there thinking.  It may turn out that you may need to go on long term (6mo) suppressive therapy to knock it out.

Has a culture been taken to positively id the yeast strain? If things keep coming back, you may a a resistant strain. It's becoming a more frequent problem an identification is key.

I have found that a frozen bottle of water held in place for a while helps to relieve the pain and itch.
Have you been checked for diabetes?  One of the symptoms of diabetes is reocurring yeast infections.  I do feel for you.  I get about one a year and that's enough to put me over the edge.  I hope you are able to get it taken care of.
thank you all so much. And about keeping it dry i want to but i have my period. is it ok to use a tampon? ive been so swollen i didnt know if that would make it worse...so ive been using a pad but it makes it even itchier. suggestions ladies? thanks again!
you may have the YI because your period was coming. it happens a lot!! (before or right after period).
anyway, i do think its okay to use a tampon. i had a YI (a BAD one)like yours and had my period. only i was using the 7 day cream. the dr. said i could use a tampon but things could get messy! honestly, i tried the tampon and it hurt too much to insert it since it was swollen. give it a try and see.
I heard that your period is supposed to clear up a yeast infection, is this true??
also, does anyone know if penicillin causes yeast infections?? I thought I read that it did, because it is a yeast itself and disrupts the balance. I'm just finishing up a week's worth of penicillin and have noticed an extreme dryness.
Don't use a hairdryer!  It will dry out and inflame the tissues even more.  emsuc,  you sound like I did for the past 2 years.    After fighting a resistant strain for that length of time, my symptoms turned out to be vulvodynia.  It can mimic a yeast infection and a whole lot of other problems.
Negative for all sorts of things, but pain, inflammation and some itching 24/7 for me.  

I would look into it.  There are treatments that help.
yes they say that penicillin can cause a yeast infection and many doctors will prescribe diflucan along with it to prevent one...however, I have taken penicillin in the past and it did not give me a yeast infection, so like everything else it will depend on your body.

need to get this out of my head- it sounds like you have more of an infection than herpes...i too am having trouble getting rid of a yeast infection.  the diflucan did not work for me, neither did monistat.  i have found some relief using terazol cream which is supposed to treat more than one strain of yeast, however mine is not totally gone so i completely know how you feel!  i've found that doing everything possible to keep that area dry is helping ease symptoms.  no thongs, cotton underwear, if you wear pantyliners from all the fun discharge make sure you change them as often as possible, and even sleeping without underwear on.  also when you get out of the shower using a hairdryer to dry the area provides a little relief.  let us know how you end up and what works for you!
how did your doctor diagnose you with vulvodynia?  are there tests for it?
If you are having reocurring YI you may want to take sugar out of your diet for awhile.  Yeast thrive with sugar.  It's hard to do, since most things have sugar.  You may have systematic yeast.  There are supplements at the health food store you can buy to combat yeast.
I am seeing a specialist who feels I may have vulvar vestibulitis after doing a swab test.  Did you have that done?  I have intense itching right AFTER my period, as well as bloating and discharge.  The symptoms come and go the rest of the month until my period starts again.  Do these symptoms sound like yours?  What do you do for yours?
kenziesmom,

Check out the yahoo groups for vulvodynia support, and vulvar disorders. They sometimes have a lot of helpful info. Also Dr. Glazers website,   http://www.vulvodynia.com/

Read is FAQ section.  Dr. Elizabeth Stewart also has a great book that's easy to read and understand called 'The V book. I highly recommend it.

I did have the swab test done, many times. One gyn kept telling my I had vestibulitis. I kept arguing with him. I truly felt at the time, that my pain was yeast related, in a way it was. I jsut didn't respond to the qtip and he didn't understand the concept of 'constant burning pain'.  I could touch myself and the pain would not increase, either with his  qtip.  Though, it is a reliable indicator of vestibulitis.

Also,  I went on seasonal as birth control when I was being treated with boric acid every day for what seemed like forever. I became real 'beotchy' dealing with pain,  period and suppositories.  I did not have symptoms that occured with my period, but others do.  Check out those websites, there is alot of information there.
Thanks for the information.  I will take a look.
I am going through a horrible yeast infection now. I wanted to post this, even if this gives relief to at least one other person out there, I thought it was worth it.  First I got in a hot (as hot as I could tolerate) mixed with about 1/2 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of vinegar. I soaked for about 10 minutes, then dried very well.. it was still very itchy. While I was in the bath, I soaked a tampon in plain yogurt, and when I was through drying myself off, I inserted the tampon, then slathered the yogurt all over the vagina, anywhere it itches. Yogurt has bacteria that is helpful for your body and kills the yeast.  Although, I'm not sure it is a 'cure', I'm still in the process of experimenting. I did buy over the counter yeast infection treatment as well.  I'll tell you though, the yogurt was INSTANT relief of the itching and pain for me.  Just try it and you'll see it helps, at least until the medication does its job. Also, I am using aerius, an allergy reliever to help stop the itch as well.  :)
I got my very first yeast infection two days ago and I started using the Kroger brand of Miconazole 3. Its a 3 day treatment...but I havent been able to do nething but itch and hurt...I found this web site thru a google search for relief of itching and pain...I read your intries and I tried the yogurt thing. Thank you very much for posting that up it helped out a lot I spread some one a panny liner and its is working wornderfully...I might get some sleep tonight thanks to all of your help...
I have had yeast infections all my life. Now that i'm in my thirties I get them more frequently. I've been experiencing them right before and after my period. Before my period the inside (vagina itches) and after my period my anus and vagina itch. I don't have sex becasue I have been feeling bad and I don't want anything down their because I don't know what's causing the yeast infections. Please help!
I have a horrible yeast infection right now, caused from antibiotics, and I am in pain. I used Monistat 3 day over the counter and it did help a lot. Then I did something rather foolish by buying and using a one day Monistat treatment immediately after the 3 day treatment to make sure the yeast infection was totally gone. As a result, the itiching and pain became worse then ever, so I called my doctor and he prescribed a fluconazole tablet. I want to mention that I am now using Vitamin A & D ointment on my vagina and it is working to take the pain away. I wanted to pass on the info about the Vitamin A & D ointment for pain and healing.
Hey ladies,
I recommend this website:
It has lots of helpful information regarding yeast infections. For me personally, I find that applying plain yogurt right up there and all over the area is a life saver.
Hope that helps :).
I have recently had the same problem and my doctor said they may have been aggravated by the spermicide in condoms.  Maybe that's the case for you too?  
I have been reading all your post because I have been so upset and miserable over my yeast infection. I have gotten yeast infections a lot. The yeast infection I have right now is one of the worst infections I have ever had. It hurts so bad and I am so swollen on the right side. It is hard to sleep at night or let alone walk around. I got a 3 day treatment to treat it myself considering I have had them a lot before. The treatment didnt seem to work so I called my Dr and she prescribed FLUCONAZOLE, the one pill helped me but didnt get rid of the yeast infection completely. I finally went to the Dr today and she gave me two more of the same pills to take but expressed that she thought it could have been herpes. I was terrified and so upset. She sent me home and told me not to worry about it (Yea right). I have been upset and crying all day thinking I could have herpes but after reading everything and seeing different pictures it is nothing like what I have. I dont have any of the sores. I just am swollen and red on the right side. So in high hopes I will finish my two FLUCONAZOLE pills and hopefully it will clear up. This is the worst pain I have ever been in and i Know how you all feel. I take the acidophilous pills and that seem to help (the raspberry chewables are pretty good) Good luck and stay strong ladies!
had this SAME problem. I had a yeast infection every month after my period and sometimes before that would last a week or two. I could NOT figure out the problem. I tried different tampons, pads, yogurt, garlic cloves, EVERYTHING. I read everything I could up on it. Finally, after nothing worked, I went to my doctor and he gave me a simple solution that I thought would be impossible to work. ****** 2 days before your period and 2 days after your period with water and vinegar (4 of these can be bought at any store for under 2 dollars if you get the store brand). The first month I couldn't really tell a huge difference but the symptoms did subside. The second month I had a few itches here and there but nothing at all like before, and the third month I had NO symptoms. It's been about 2 months now and I only ****** once after my period and I haven't gotten any yeast infections since!!!!

I hope this works for you; I know how uncomfortable and inconvenient it is to walk around with a yeast infection all the time; hoping that next month it will go away but it doesn't.

Again, I hope this helps!!!

P.S.
My doctor said that Diflucan wouldn't work because you'd just need to take it again EVERY month. Makes sense.
D*o*u*c*h* with water and vinegar
I'm experiencing my first yeast infection right now. I've never felt such discomfort from itching and soreness. After using the one-day Monistat treatment just 4 hours ago, I literally woke up due to the itching. I'm currently trying the yogurt method mentioned in the few previous posts. It seems to be subsiding a little bit but—I just want to go to sleep!!!
i really suggest you try douching with water and vinegar, it works a lot better than yogurt (which i tried for a week and didn't work for me).
i have the same problems. each month after my period i seem to get a yeast infection.

how much water and vinegar do u have to mix? is it half - half?
Hey everyone..

Ive been getting a yeast infection now after each period for about 6 months now .. i use the 7 day treatment store bought.. it seems to work but it keeps coming back..i've never douched.. could that be the problem??Im also on birth control.. and does that factor into my situation?? i usually can tell when im getting one via the itching and discomfort..to me this is getting very very annoying..Im going to try to exclude the sugar from my diet.but please some one help me with this...

thanx for the tips..
angel
Well i also have been getting what i think are yeast infections (itching, soarness and some small cuts) after my period each month.  I tried the garlic and eating yogart... didn't do much for me.  I talked to my sister who also had the problem and she said her naturpath suggested bio-K half a bottle a day for 12 days should end the chronic YI's and yeast-away will help until then.  So that's what i'm trying, she said it worked for her.
Hi Ladies, i have read the threads and i am surprised to know that i am not the only one that has this recurring yeast infection problem. i have several questions and i am grateful for all the suggestions provided so i will be trying them after i am done with my menstrual. i have been getting yeast infection for five months and in November it has not gone away yet. I've had four doses of diflucan -  i must say that i am only experiencing the discharge and slight itching, but knowing its there has been the worst feeling ever! i work out alot and i sweat alot down there when i exercise but i change immediatley into dry clothes with no underwear prior to leaving the gym so i hope i dont have to stop exercising to make this problem go away. Also, i dont eat any type of meat could that be a reason for having this problem? i havent had sex in over a month and dont have any desire to but could my partner be the reason i am getting this recurring infection? does the vitamin biotin cause this problem? do diet pills cause this problem? is this something that happens to women as they get older, I'm seeing a common thred that it happens before and after your period which litterally leaves the week of my period to be Yeast Infection free; i cant live like this help please! FYI, my doctor has also suggested the Diabetes test which is negative, and all they really keep doing is giving me the diflucan which isnt working, how do i address this issue with my doctor if she is not seeing a problem with me getting them so frequently?
I used to get yeast infections as a young girl because of the pill. I hadn't gotten one for a long time but this week as I was finishing a 10 day treatment of penecilline, I had sex with my boyfriend (whom I think cheated on me with a young girl maybe around 20) and I instantly got a bad yeast infection.
I have been taking pennicillin (penicillin) for a week tomorrow & have developed a terrible yeast infection. should one continue taking the antibiotic? I'am going to try the yogurt method.
Just wanted to let all you girls know that birth control pills are a major cause of yeast infections, YAZ seems to be the worst one from what i hear and have experienced.
FLUSH YOUR BLADDER!!  Six full glasses water a day, each followed by several large gulps of probiotic Kefir (drinkable yoghurt).  Lifeway and Helios with FOS work great, alternate the two.  Not pill form probiotics.  Avoid sugar and carbs like bread and potatoes, use mild soap (like Yardley Oatmeal/almond), and dry vaginal and anal area well but gently with a clean towel. Use Ibuprofen to reduce vulvar inflammation. Bladder flush should be done for at least a week, but relief should begin after fiest day.  Yeast build up in bladder is re-infection your vagina.
oka mi name is layla im 19 and i been living with a yeast infection since i was little...growing up i though it wuz normal like the discharge and itchiness and the odor but as i got older i realized something wasn't right i didnt feel right talkin to my mom about it so i waited till i wuz old enough to set up mi own doc app and i wen and she told meh i had yeast and prescribed meh the lil pink pill flucanzole and that didn't work so i went and bought a three day treatment of monistat and that didn't work either i think it jus made it worse now im like completely cutting sugar outta mi diet i just been drinkin water....i really really need help im tired of living with this i dnt knw what else to do so if somebody can please tell me what i can do or whats going on please please please:(
i found out i was a diabetic about 8 years ago, i kept having yeast infections, i would use the creams, diflucan, ect., and it would clear up for a couple of days, then come right back. after i was diagnosed, i was taking the diflucan every month, then i just stopped taking it because it was too expensive. i started watching my diet, and everything was good for a while, but now i'm getting them after every period, seems like. and they are severe..painful, swollen, dread to go the bathroom because it hurts so bad. it even bleeds-like i have tiny cuts all over my vagina. i'm gonna try the yogurt thing, my mother in law has always told me that-do you get the same benefits from it by eating it or applying it? i will try both and see. just wanted to know which way works best.
I am 53 years old and last month was the first month I did not have a period. The last two periods lasted for weeks but were not very heavy at all. Last month I was on an antibiotic for a sinus infection. About two weeks later I got a yeast infection. I have had them before and would just get monostat and it would go away - not this time. I went to the doctors and she took a swab and prescribed diflucan. I had two prescriptions and the cream. Still didn't work. I was also eating plain yogurt and applying it down there which helped at the time but then the itching would come back - and I was so sore and swollen. I called the doctor again and they told me to get boric acid at the pharmacy. I did that and mixed it with plain yogurt and inserted it. I did that for three days and it seemed to have worked. I was still tender and very sensitive down there but thought it was getting better. Five days later I am swollen and itchy again. I have read everyone's posts and can relate and sympathize with everyone. I am going to the doctors again tomorrow hopefully she will have an answer. I'm extremely frustrated at this point. I will let you know what happens. Thanks for the support.
Ok I went to the doctors again today and she said it looks like herpes - not the std but the viral kind that cause cold sores. So she took another culture and sent me to get blood work done. She also wrote me a prescription for Val trex. So hopefully this is it and I will be feeling better soon. I hope, I hope.
Antibotics does causebad yeast infections,but my DR told me to eat yogurt before I start to take the meds next time and I went and bought some and so far I haven't gotten a yeast infection good luck;)
I get them every month after my period. I have done the yeast free diet religously for 4 months didn't work! Yogurt daily, didnt work! Probiotics daily, didn't work! Im over this. Why can't MD's recognize this as a disease. It is not an infection, it is a chronic disease that the medical proffession fails to recognize. i was told to use monistat weekly. Why dont the Doctor use monistat weekly and see how it feels. Every month after my period i know it is coming. Has anyone read how i can prevent PH changes in my vaginal tract during my period? Im going to try the water/vinager douche before and after, Hell i may do it everyday while im on my period. IM DESPERATE!
I have always been prone to yeast infections. It seems like every time I take antibiotics I get a yeast infection almost immediately. I have had some success preventing by eating yogurt containing L. acidophilus everyday while taking antibiotics or by taking the acidophilus pills. The yogurt method did not work this time, unfortunately. Maybe I should have been taking the pills too.
I find the frozen water bottle held in the area relieves some of the painful itching. The external creams have never worked for me. I haven't tried directly applying plain yogurt, but I'm going to attempt it today.
Ladies, I wanted to mention that if you keep treating yourself for a yeast infection and it's not clearing up at all, it could be a bacterial infection. That happened to me before. Bacterial infections have very similar symptoms and are treated with (yea!) antibiotics. You should really see a doctor if self-treatment isn't working.
And for the ladies who have been told it is or might be herpes, I went through this too. After a particularly horrible yeast infection, my vagina was pretty raw and swollen. The doctor looked at it and immediately said she thought it was herpes. She acted like it wasn't a big deal and told me not to worry. How can you not worry at that point?? I went through a pretty long, drawn-out testing process thanks to mistakes and miscommunication between the doctor, nurse and lab. After 3-4 weeks my tests came back negative. It seems like this is a common doctor mistake since many other women have mentioned it here.
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I hope we can all find some relief.
i used to get a lot of yeast infections. what worked for me was sleeping with out any undies to "air everything out". take Vaseline and spread it on the irritated area. make sure your hands and lady parts are clean before you put it on though. and when you wash, wash with dove soap or a soap that doesnt have a scent to it. also get a removable shower head so you can make sure that all of the soap is cleaned off.

take a bath episom salt or baking soda or white vinegar and put it in the tub. fill the tub with just enough water to cover your vagina. and as for the episom salt, baking soda, and white vinegar put a good amount in the tub. but a word of advice is TO CLEAN YOUR TUB before you decide to take one of these baths bc you dont want to be sitting in a tub full of dirt.

****** THIS HELPED A LOT!!!**********if you have a table fan then you can deff use that to help the burning sensation of a yeast infection. set the table fan...or really any type of fan on the highest speed. take off any bottoms that you have on(undies or pants....take every thing off of your lower so the vagina is exposed to the fan). direct the fan to your crotch, lay on your back and have your legs bent and have a pillow under your butt to prop it up. you can also put vaseline on your vagina while you do this.

if you eat a lot of sugary things cut down on them. even if you dont think that you eat sugary things, there is also sugar in the food or drinks that you consume. so try and stay away from that stuff bc when i cut down on my sugar intake i notices a change.

there are also panty liners if you have vaginal discharge that let in 2X's the air flow into your undies. its the Carefree body shape panty liners. they also helped me.
ok so i ahve been reading everyone and no one really mentioned anything in depth about the cuts. I got a really bad yeast infection and started scratching intensely. I now noticed that i ahve a white spot down there. OCuld that be from a cut? or does it sound like something more serious? i know the itching was from a yeast infection becaseu i ahve had them before and have the same discharge...i also jsut got off a really strong medicicne which is usualy when i get them!!

thanks for the help!!im freaking out i may have an std but i ahve always had protected sex
i have a yeast infection first time ever the dr. gave me diflucan 150mg monday and said take another pill wednesday. is it okay to put a ice pack on my vagina its on fire i havent slept in 2 days any suggestions for the burning????
Help!!! Im 19 yrs old ive had a yeast infection 4 18 days the drs have given me diflucon twice one cream u insert @ bedtime 4 3nights and a supposetory u insert 3 nights @ bedtime. They put me on an antibioditc 4 a week. Ive tried the over the counter treatments and some days r ok but some days r just awful!!! The itching wakes me up. I cant sit still i dont know what 2 do ive taken the cotton underwear loose clothing and taken my medicine religiously.... any ideas 4 relief?? Or should i b tested 4 somethin else by my dr???
Hi all,

Read the Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook. I've been following the dietary recommendations and rotating natural anti-fungals: oil of oregano, probiotics including acidophilius and s. boullardi, garlic, caprylic acid, grapefruit seed extract, and I take flax oil every day. I've just started taking Candizyme every night. I also take cranberry pills every day because bladder infections and yeast infections are connected.

Apparently, yeast can become resistant to antifungals of any kind--this happened to me. Repeatedly taking Monistat, etc will hurt you in the long run.

According to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (breakingtheviciouscycle.com) you should make your own yogurt rather than use commercial yogurts.

The ayurvedic herb Triphala is helpful when taken internally and when boiled with water and used as a douche.

I have started soaking every day which has been tremendously helpful. I rotate apple cider vinegar, the contents of 2 acidophilus pills, and grapfruit seed extract. I'm going to try garlic pills as well.

Prescription for Nutritional Healing has helpful recommendations for urinary, candida, and fungal infections. Read all of these articles and keep trying the recommendations until something works for you.

Don't give up! This condition can be healed, as long as you are exceptionally persistent.
Hey ladies I have suffered with reoccurring yeast infections for about 6 years and unfortunately doctors don't really know enough about this stuff, if you get more than one a year its systematic. Your infection could be from taking a lot of antibiotics killing off all the good bacteria or you may have food sensitivities you don't even know about, yeast infections start in your gut, there is an imbalance, you prob dont have enough good bacteria to keep the yeasts away and unhealthy diets of processed foods and even natural sugars feeds the yeast, the yeasts crowd the get and poor out into the vagina this is why the creams only help short term. You need to find a creditable doctor at a natural place, I went to Born Clinic, I found out I have food sensitivities  to yeast, wheat, all dairy, crab, so I have to eliminate these food for 4 months and go on a very strick diet, NO SUGARS at all of any kind, you also need to take some really high quality probiotics and Nystatin should be prescribed, I had literalIy no good bacteria in my gut, I also had a stool sample that showed may yeasts and a Candida test done that came up positive, they check your iga and igg levels (immune system) this shows if it has been going on a while. The biggest thing is to find out what is causing it. Also I switched to unsented everything!! You could have an issue with hormones too and high perfumed toiletries, laundry soap, sopa etc. This is the best website for what I have learned www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com, this guy knows his stuff!
I had a truly horrid YI about three years ago, because I left it untreated (I didn't realise what it was). It was my first sexual experience in a very long time and I assumed that (as sad as it sounds) I had just done it wrong. I never had visible yeast or much in the way of itching ... it was all about how swollen and painful it was. Those are the symptoms I get from it. By the time I finally went to emerg, they initially thought it was herpes, but later confirmed that no, it was just a ragingly awful yeast infection.

I tend to get one or two a year, sometimes the over the counter stuff helps, but I always need to get Fluconazole lately because with the lack of 'normal' symptoms I don't notice it right away.

Luckily I've got a doctor who is willing to help me figure out what works and what doesn't (and it won't necessarily work for everyone -- different people, different yeast infections). The one thing he's always stressed to me is to not wear tampons during a YI because it can annoy the area even more, and like many have mentioned, nothing perfumed at all. I just wish I'd found a way to make the pain and the ugh feeling go away ... I've tried the acidopholous (sp?), yoghurt, heck, even the garlic treatments ... pretty much everything I've seen here ... so far nothing has worked, which is why I'm still awake in pain rather than sleeping. :(
get a removable showerhead and rinse out three times in the beginning of your shower and again at the end with coolish not hot water.
works everytime.
Yogurt doesnt work everytime but this goes. its natural and removes the bacteria right away so your body has a chance to catch up.
plus a removable shower head is nice for other reasons too
LOL
instant soothing when you are rinsed and fresh.
I just read an article about vitamin B-complex. In it they discuss about Biotin and that foods that have Biotin are: Avocado, eggs, liver, pork salmon and yeast. I have had gut infested yeast for the past several years and my doctor has been wondering on how I came down with this condition. This caused another problem known as the "Leaky Gut." As I read the article, I began to wonder if my taking Biotin for preventive maintenance for hair loss. For possibly a few years I was consuming 1,000 mcg twice per day. I did not think that it would cause any problems since Biotin is water soluble. Recently my holistic MD put me on FLUCONAZOLE for 32 days. It reduced the symptoms which included severe itching and skin peeling below my finger nails which included discharges (I still have a bit in that area), foggy head, anxieties, irritability, sleeping disorder and fatigue. Humans have yeast in their GI system and the good flora keeps it in check. But stress makes our bodies acidic which diminishes the good guys (flora) in our gut and prepares the environment for yeast overgrowth. Now I am wondering if I was feeding the yeast by consuming too much Biotin. And I have a strong feeling that I may be right on the money. So I am going to stop taking Biotin for a while and see if I can get rid of this. By the way ladies, I am a man.
I have had chronic yeast infections over the past 9 months.  Usually right after my fiance drinks quite a few beers and after using KY or other Approved Lubricants.  It appears that either I am having some kind of reaction to his yeast consumption (beer) and lubricants during sex.  Either one of these or both combined is causing my internal environment to be extremely upset.  

We experimented for 1 month where he did not consume beer as well as stopped using lubricant and amazingly, I was perfectly fine.

Experiment ladies.  See what's causing your issues.  Please post.
I have a yeast infection almost once a month the past three months I'm 19 and have no idea why they keep coming I'm not pregnant never have been I've been to the doctor each time I've had one I can't go right away I have to work but want the itching & irritation to STOP I can't handle it having to walk around all night.
I have read all of the posts on this thread, because last summer I started getting yeast infections for the first time. Since then, I have had almost 8. Every time my doctor called in a pill, sometimes the one that would have to be taken a week later, but the symptoms would last longer. I had tests done with my doctors, then with an OB GYN where the book "Yeast connections" was recommended to me. My OB GYN told me about this woman that would get a yeast infection every Saturday. Turns out, Fridays she would eat dinner over her parents house and the amount of acidity in the wine and spaghetti (they were Italian) would give her the yeast infections. I bought the book and I will start reading it because most doctors don't exactly know the certain cause as to why we get them. Reading it may help you understand why. It was also brought to my attention that if diabetes runs in the family, yeast infections are a symptom of having diabetes. Also, because your body is always adjusting, (for those of you that don't use condoms) I was told that I could be allergic to semen. Now, I have never let my boyfriend "finish" inside me, so I didn't think that was the case. But when I started using condoms again, the yeast infections seemed to slow down.
As for the symptoms, i feel for all of you. I currently have one and it is terribly itchy to the point where it was unbearable. I put plain, low-fat yogurt on a pad ( I was too swollen for a tampon that it made me bleed and would not go in all the way). It stopped the itching almost immediately. I tried eating yogurt and that didn't work, so I resorted to putting it right onto the area. Sleeping under wear less didn't help me because my pants would rub and made it more itchy so I stuck with cotton undies. I will try and cut out sugar to see if that helps and also look into the acidophilus pills because the reoccurring yeast infections are driving me nuts.
Good luck ladies, and thanks for all the helpful ideas!
ok so ive had about 4 yeast infections in a year and i have PCOS so i do not get my period normally i recently was on birth control for 5 months but discontiuned because i hate taking them and ever since ive stopped talking them 2 months later i have a yeast infection and all of you are talking about getting your yeast infections before your periods n i dont even get mine normally! i dont know if i should go to the doctor but i hate having them like there not really bad but i hate the itching n i feel its so sensitive down there. one thing i have noticed to is when i shave down there i feel like it is really sensitive down and always wet which i know it not good! what should i do???
Several meds can bring down tour inmune system or unbalance the ph down there....  That happens to me alot, also stay away from all scented toilet tissue or soaps, I hope this helps ;)
as far as using to help your yeast infection you found that vinegar worked ? it didnt burn like hell?
I'm having the EXACT same problem! I don't know what to do!!
I need ur help I've gone the dr about some vaginal issues. Was diagnosed with bv was put on meds that wouldn't cause yeast yet the itiching and burning I used a&d oitment and now there seems to be yeast what should I do not sure if the a& d oitment caused the yeast
i am 16 an i have a yeast, and im going through the same thing you are, but the yeast medication made me feel worse and it makes me have to pee alot
how do you get your doctar to prescribe nystatin? I've been on antibiotics for almost 3 yrs, have had cortisteroid injections, and prednisone 7day pack, for some itchy rash on my scalp. From reading and research, i'm prone to yeast infection, and i believe it could be on my scalp, but have been to different DR's, and even a dermatologist, and none will ev en listen to me when i mention yeast overgrowth on my scalp. It's frustrating! All they want to do is keep prescribing antibiotics and steroids. Even the local lab (GAmma labs) here in my town won't perform lab tests without a DR's order.
WHITE MONKEY HOLDING PEACH BALM aka MONKEY BALM. You can find this at ANY Asian grocery markets for less than $2.00. It's similar to the TIGER BALM that you can find at most drug stores except it isn't nearly as thick which makes it feel way more clean & comfortable. When you apply it on, you will feel the hot & cold sensation. But I'm telling you it WORKS INSTANTLY!!!

It's made with all natural ingredients so it is safe.

I learned about this while traveling in a small country called Cambodia. They have killer mosquito bites! They told me they use it for everything that has to do with itching, swelling, pain, cuts, headaches, nausea, etc. It WORKS!!! And it doesn't irritate you like most of the other over the counter products.

I wish that I can just give you the product to try! I know how horrible it is! I feel like I have the worst irritation. I feel so helpless every time it occurs which is usually before my period.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Good luck!
I forgot to mention about the MONKEY BALM is NOT to be used for areas in or around the eyes or mouth.
I have had chronic issues for quite a while now.  a few things have really helped.

1) I take 6-8 probiotics a day. http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ntk=products&ss=1&NttSR=1&Ntt=probiotic%2015-35
2) I eat a ton of garlic and take garlic pills
3) grapefruit seen extract every day.
4) adding coconut oil to my diet.  
5) cut back on sugar like crazy
6) cut out as much gluten as possible.  
7) when I feel one coming on I take a clove of garlic and slit it a couple times and insert it vaginally to help kill the yeast.  

I have gone 6 months without having to take meds which is amazing.  
I am diabetic and I get yeast infections about 2 or 3 times a year. It usually happens when my blood glucose levels run high. I also tend to get them after I have taken penicillin for usually a tooth infection. Garlic inserted into the vagina helps me but only if it is done as soon as I notice any sort of discomfort or irritation.

I currently have a yeast infection now and this is the second time it has been this bad. I am swollen and really red, can barley walk and or sit comfortably. I took the Monistat 1 yesterday and it seems to have gotten worse. I am going to give it a day or two to see if it improves but I am definitely going to try the yoghurt and acidophilus tablets.
Hey ladies,

The thing that I have found that works the best for me is Boric acid suppositories. I am providing a link (it's a little hippie dippie, but you'll get the gist of it). Your OBGYN doctor can prescribe them to you if you have some kind of compounding pharmacy in your town. This will be a pharmacy that is capable of making their own treatments on site (just Google it or ask your doctor).

I used to use the over the counter meds, but they stopped working for me and I didn't want to have to constantly put all that weird stuff down there. I also tried anti fungal pills, but they make me feel sick. I found this cure online and asked my doctor about it. She said it works for lots of women and is less dangerous than other treatments. She will give you directions, so don't worry!

For me it has worked every time. I actually just got my first yeast infection in about two years and I'm calling in some of these puppies right now!

Best of luck!
Hi, so i am on a strong antibiotic clyndomycin (idk how to spell to) and iv'e developed an terrible YI it started out with a little sore and then it developed a scab looking thing or discharge. Then my whole libia swelled up to the point where it lookes like two swollen libias. and around the white part its red, It is extremely itchy and hurts so much. :( like when i walk it rubs against and i can't sit cause it hurts I'm on probiotics I've eaten garlic, drunk cranberry juice, if anything its gotten worse (I've only had it since saturday though) and am on pro biotics pleassse help I'm in zoo much pain right now and I'm very squeamish about doing anything down there that might hurt it.anything I can do????????????? please help me...................... good luck to all you guys out there that feel the same way!!
oh by the way I took a 1 time pill and it still hasn't helped