hot tubs during pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

hot tubs during pregnancy?

I was at work last night and a lady told me that i shoouldnt be getting into my hot tub. I was very upset because i have been getting into it almost EVERYday!! i love that thing...its so relaxing, and i was wondering if it was ok or should i not?
Do not get in a hot tub--that is a no-no. It raises your body temperature which can seriously harm your pg.  I was even told not to even stick my feet in a hot tub for even a few minutes--So it you are not pg yet--try and stay away from it when you try and conceive--if you are already pg stop and be thankful nothing has happened to the pg yet.
thats a definite no-no.  They dont even want you to take hot baths...

On the bright side, think of how good that hot tub is gonna feel after you've been out of it so long.  :-)
Is your hot tub inside your house?  If you can run the jets at normal bathwater temperature,  you're fine.  Like,  92  degrees.    You can enjoy the floating and the jets.  

If it's outside in February,  forget it.  ;D    The water will be WAY TOO HOT for your baby.  
Im sorry you can not get in a hot tub, I think I am pregnant with a baby to. So I can't get in a hot tub ether.
I too loved my hot tub during my pregnancies and although you are told not to use it my doctor told me due to my back spasms that I could use it as 5 mins in and 10 mins out that way it wouldnt harm anything.
HOT TUBS are on my Dr.'s list under: AVOID.

I do know that they can be safe if the water is a certain temp.  I don't know what that is.  
There are warnings against EVERYTHING when your pg!

(You know, our mothers and grandmothers were never given warnings about these things....)

It is unsafe for your body's temp to get too high during pregnancym which is why thry don't want you getting sick with a fever.

A hot tub can raise your temperature, but only after a while. You know when you're temp goes up, because you  can get uncomfortable, and then you'll get out.

When I was pg I hurt so bad that I put my feet in. My grandma hauled out like I've never seen her and shook her finger at me like I was a child!!! Everyone is just looking out for you.

I say use your judgment. Figure this, you're body temp is roughly 98.6 degrees, right?? If you're sick, they worry if your temp is over 100 degrees. Set your tub at 100 or 101 and relax! 103 or 104 would even be okay if you're only in for a few minutes. 5-10 mins is NOT enough time to raise your body temp.

I know people will get upset at me for saying this, but you are a human being, even if you are pregnant! You're more than a walking incubator. Take care of yourself!!! Be cautious, but allow yourself some comfort, too.

~
Think about it, wisely.  I agree only with the last comment made.  It is not going to hurt you if you are responsible and wise.  I have read everything there is to know about this subject.  My husband and I have tried to have a baby for almost 5 years.  HOT TUBBING the whole time...Well I am now pregnant.  Hmmm, everyone told me to stay out of the hot tub cause we wouldn't be able to get pregnant.  We can't stand the temp being above 96 so that is what it is.  I have gone in twice since I've been pregnant.  I don't immerse myself and stay in only for 10 min.  My Dr. said it is fine in moderation. Just like everything else.  If you want to find something to be concerned about consider the smoking and drinking issue....
its not that you wouldnt be able to get pregnant its that you can cook your baby.
actually you can't "cook" your baby in a hot tub. i've asked all the ob's at my docs office. i have a hot tub at my house as well and i'm a frequenter in it. our temp on it is set at a constant 101 degrees and me and the twins have been fine so far. i'm sure if it's high enough and you're in long enough it can cause damage to the baby but if you use it on a normal temp and arn't in for hours upon hours you'll be fine.
I keep my tub at 97 during PG, stay in for 10 minutes and if I feel I need more, I let my body cool off outside of the tub for 10 minutes with my feet dangling in and go in for another 10 minutes. I read a research study that said you CAN raise your body temp to dangerous temps. (over 101) after only 10 minutes. These studies can be found online so do your own research and be safe. Get a thermometer and check your own temp. after 10 minutes to makes sure you're safe. As with too much exercise, the point is to not overheat or dehydrate, but you can still exercise during PG, just in moderation. Use your judgement as it applies to hot tub use. Good luck on a healthy PG for us all!