how common is it to be pregnant and not have any symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi ladies,

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year!  I have a question concerning a friend of mine.  She and her husband are ttc and her period is due jan.4.  She called me this morning because she said normally about a week before her peirod she feels crampy, boobs are sore, etc.  (like most of us).  Several times, she had assumed she was pregnant based on symptoms, only to get her period a week later...something many of us have gone through.  Her period os now three days away and she hasn't had any symptoms of pms/pregnancy.  She says this has never happened to her before and because she feels different, she asked me if she could be pregnant because she has no symptoms.  I told her that i have heard of people being pregnant and not having symptoms, but also not to jumpt to conclusions and she should wait a good week or two until after period is due before taking an hpt., i also told her not to be surprised if it is negative.  I was wondering how common this is...not have any symptoms of pregnancy and be pregnant.  anyone ever experience this?
I have heard of women wanting so bad to become pg. that their mind makes the body have symptoms of being pg. i hope she is pg. since they want so bad to be. All she can do is wait. That's the hardest part. I know for a fact that the stress of wanting or not wanting your pd. can cause your pd. to be late to. I wish her the best trying to have a lil' one.
Yes. I had pms symptoms starting from about 6dpo until af. The month I got my bfp, I noticed that I did not have any cramping, pms/pregnancy signs at all. I thought that maye since it was different than before maybe I would get my bfp, and sure enough I did.

I wish your friend luck.
I meant I had pms symptms/pg symptoms every month from 6dpo EXCEPT the month I got my bfp.:)
thanks for the replies ladies!  i am just worried for my friend because she gets her hopes up alot.  I did the same thing...i'm 20 weeks now and from the moment my husband and were ttc, every single month i was sure i was pregnant based on symptoms...that were really pms symptoms.  Eventually, i learned not to read so much into things and of course the month i got my bfp, i had symptoms but kept telling myslef it was just my period...that made the bfp all the more a surprise.  my friend just takes this really hard.  Every month she thinks she is, only to find out she's not and she goes into a depression for a couple of days.  I hope she is, i am just trying to caution her on reading too much into things.  I'm sure your replies will be of help to her.  I keep telling her the only sign of pregnancy to rely on is a bfp...thanks again.
I Just had a baby 5 months ago and i did not have any signs or symptoms at all i just missed my period..it was like that for 9 months also my girlfriend was the same way with her first.
maybe Im late to answer this...sorry! =)
before I was pg...I would get pms symtpoms as sore breast 2 to 1 week before af was due and cramps like 3 days before. The month I found out I was pg..I knew something was up because I had absolutely no symptoms! no sore breats at all, a bit crampy after af was due and didn't come and then terrible painful lower back pain! and a bfp after 3 or 4 days.
I hope your friend gets her BFP hopefully this is her month! =)
I believe 20% of pregnant women have little to no symptoms throughout their whole pregnancy. Lucky them!
i can relate i had no symptoms of being pregnant.. it wasnt untill i was 4 months that i found out ... i think she should take a hpt..put her mind at ease..why wonder when u can no for sure
I had pms symptoms starting immediately after ovulation and lasting for about a week. Several days leading up to my af due date, I had no symptoms (for the first time ever), and it turned out that I was pregnant. So, it is certainly a possibility. I had NO pregnancy symptoms at all until I was six weeks pregnant. I have been nauseous every single day since! ;0) It is uncommon to have pregnancy symptoms only a week or two after ovulation because implantation doesn't even occur until 5-10 days after ovulation. Some women start pregnancy symptoms in the fourth week (this would be the week that af is due), some start symptoms in the fifth week, and some start symptoms the sixth week or after. So, to be 3.5 weeks pregnant and not have symptoms is COMPLETELY NORMAL. I got my first positive pregnancy test at 11 days past ovulation, which is three days before my period was due. A lot of women don't show up this early, but I was fortunate. I wish you and your friend the best!
well i used to be able to count on the same pms every cycle. i had a mc in may. now everymonth is different. last month, no symptoms till af showed . now im due to start on the 6th and tonight i have horrible cramps and a headache. some months my boobs hurt, sometimes they dont. its definatly a poss. but untill you get that bfp we can make anything seem to be a pg symptom. i hope your friend gets hers!
I have just read these comments and I'm getting excited (maybe too early...) I ALWAYS get sore breasts and have mood swings and bloatedness before af but this month I have nothing. My period is due today and I just hope it won't start!
This is to Babeshope:  I've never written to one of these before but I was trying to read about myself today.  I have the same problem or hope should I say.  I always, always have tender breast approx. 10 days before my period, but not this time.  I have a 10yr old daughter from my prev. marriage but have been with my current husband for 8yrs.  We tried to have children but it just didnt happen.  This is the first time something different is happening and I'm very excited.  I'm not obsessed about getting pregnant anymore (i guess came to terms with it).  There sure is a glimmer of hope.  I think i should have started my period on the 8th and nothing yet.  I could be wrong though.  You start to question everything... I hope we both are!
very common. my friend found out shes pregnant after 6 months. she just thought she is bloated or getting fat.
Pregnant ???

I started my period on the September 8th and then I had unprotected sex on September 27th twice. Several days ago; I got cramps like I was going to get period I run to the bathroom few times to check it but nothing. Today it’s the period due and it has not arrived yet. But it is really strange I do not have any symptoms like always (bloating, cramps, just sore boo’s). Yesterday I got hot flashes and I cried for 1 hour but I do not know why. Yesterday morning I did pregnancy test and it came negative. I doubt I could get pregnant because the guy I had sex with has low sperm count. Do you thing it’s still possible I could be pregnant. I even did not thing, I was ovulation that day
Please advice.
Hi everyone i love reading this becouse i imissed i period for a month now and took hpt i got negt i called my OBGy and she said take provera  again i don't whant to becouse i don 't have any symptoms, i am afraid wha if i am pregnant? even though i don't have symptoms. my husband i have been married for 6yrs and we have been trying to get pregnant. after i read this commonts i want to wait for about another week and take another hpt again. i made an appt with my OBGY on jun 9. i will see what she says. wish me luck. Thanks keep us inform
advice please

i went in took an hpt and it came out neg . i was happy.  but i've been getting hot flashs in feeling sick to the stomach man idk  i'm scared !! my bf  has been getting sick....that only happens if someone close  pg.advice pleeaassee
hi everyone i too always have symptoms before my period starts i get soar breast and bloated, cramps mood swings but not this month. My last period was june 8 2010 thru the 12th, I havent gotten my period yet since then.Today is 07/15/2010 Im like 8 days late!!! i took pregnancy test at home they come out neg. I have no symptoms what so ever, the only thing is I feel diff. I made an appointment with my dc for tuesday. I dunno what to think i hope I am pregnant but I get disappointed when it comes neg.on the home tests. I took like 4 and diff. brands. Im worried....: (
I been ttc since the 1st of this month, last month I got my period on the 22 or 23, so its the 16th and I usually get my period at the same time every month....but I start cramping like a week before but I'm having kno cramps but also kno symptoms of pregnancy
I am so glad I am not the only one going through this, my breasts usually get sore and I get cramps right before my af comes and I am 13 days late, with no pregnancy symptoms, and 3 neg. pg tests, I will take one more hpt tests and then I am going to the doctor to get a blood test, I cant take it anymore, My fiance and I have been ttc so please wish us luck, Good Luck and Baby Dust to everyone else!!
I am 17 days late, 5 neg. hpt tests,no pregnancy symptoms, just feel bloated,should I go get a blood test or wait a few days more?
I'm 3days almost 4 days late.. but i have no symptoms of being pregnant what should i do?????