how long after treatment does a yeast infection go away??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hello, I recently discovered that I have a yeast infection. I had the symptoms for about a month on and off and didnt quite know what was going on I though maybe it was chafing and getting itchy and red from sweating from work. Anyways after doing some reasearch on the computer I went to the doctor. My doctor then recommended the Monistat 3 day, with the cream filled ovules. I got it from the pharmacy (actually it was the no name brand) and  few days later (when I got the call to confirm that it was a yeast infection) I used it as directed but I was pretty late with the second dose by about 7 hours or so. Now my itchiness and redness and swelling has gone down and I feel great but I tried to have sex  (about 2 days after the last ovule had been used) and it still burned a bit  when I had sex and I have a very thick white clumpy discharge that is worse then before I treated the yeast infection. before I treated it I had very little discharge. I don't know if I still have the YI because everything else is fine. I am worried that Maybe the treatment didn't work because i was late for teh sedond dose or maybe My yeast infection is so bad it can't be cured with OTC medicine.
You might need a second treatment, since it doesn't sound like the infection is completely gone.  Be aware too that you can get re-infected from your partner.
Thanks!!