how soon does period resume after iud removal
how long does it take for period to return
So update:

That first period after the IUD removal was so bad I almost went to the hospital. I was soaking a super tampon or pad every 90 min for four days before it slowed. I had two more cycles after that and have now gone almost 4 MONTHS without one!!! I have taken dozens of pg tests and they are all negative. I have looked into it and so many people seem to just stop ovulating after an IUD and I am crushed. We have been trying so hard for that baby and now it feels like my body has quit on me. I would NEVER EVER recommend Mirena to anyone. It is my biggest regret and has caused SO many health problems. Stick with copper!
Hello! I’m 25 and a 1 ½ year Hodgkin’s lymphoma cancer survivor. I had my mirena IUD for 3 years and 1 month. I had no periods while having it and no problems with it besides the strings being too long at first. I recently got my mirena IUD removed on April 20, 2012 and now a month later I still have no sign of a period. HPT’s are all negative. I had two children with average pregnancies excluding needing bed rest with the first. I was told when I started chemo that I would never be able to conceive again but after finishing all treatment I went to a fertility specialist and they told me that I still had eggs and in all medical ways “ready to go” to have children.  I have been having unprotected sex pretty much all the time to the point where my husband tells me no! We want more children but I’m afraid that I’ve already asked for too much to be cancer free. I know that my situation is very specific but I just wanted to know what I should expect or if anyone out there has been in my place before. Thank you for reading
do you get your period right after you get it out cause last year i had mine replaced and man the pain was so horrible i could not breath i want to get it out now cause i want a baby what should i expect please help me
good luck i am taking mine out in july i hope i can still have a baby i have a 15 year old and a soon to be 13 and i had a son who has passed i want a boy so bad i hope it happens
I had almost identical situation! I just recently had my IUD removed, it's been about a month and half, and still no sign of my cycle returning. I was diagnosed with hodgkin's lymphoma while I was pregnant with my first son, and waited to receive treatment until after he was born. For more cancer attacking my body recently diagnosed with cervical cancer, I had to have some of my cervix removed and the IUD as well. I never had a menstrual cycle when I was on the IUD and no spotting or anything when it was taken out. My husband and I are looking forward to trying for another baby in feb. We want to give my body time to adjust back to normal after the trauma it just went through a month an half ago. I figured that my breasts were getting bigger and swollen due to the hormones adjusting, and I've had barely any appetite since it's been removed! I'm constantly tired, and some pregnancy symptoms! I have a follow up with my Doc on the 25th, so I will ask him what's up, and maybe get some answers for the both of us lol! Glad to hear that you are cancer free!!!!! An I hope that it stays that way! Take care and God Bless :)
The doc told me yesterday (June 11) that if there is sperm in the radius, if you have sex 5 days before the removal, you can get pregnant immediately!!! I had my IUD in for 2 years, never had a period on it, and now I am just dealing with cramps and spotting. Yeah, my removal hurt, but it also hurt going in. I am praying for fast conception (my fiance and I are getting married on September 1st, he hopes to be able to announce a pregnancy at our wedding :P)
i am currently going thru the same thing, i had my mirena removed may 14th and i had some spotting 2 days later that lasted 2-3days and then nothing after that, now its June 26th and yesterday i started spotting again! this time with awful cramps! :( My back aches, my breasts are sore, im severely emotional, i cried watching a commercial that wasnt all to serious! i've taken pregnancy tests and they came out negative, and im concerned like you were that the hormones are giving me a false reading.. i have a dr appt next week and i'm going to see whats going on.... did anything ever change for you??
awh, Congrats! :)
I took my mirena out on June 22nd, after 2 years of having it in. I had recently started having symptoms that were driving me nuts and not getting better. Things like mood swings, headaches, acne (NEVER had breakout problems till recently, not even when I was pregnant), Never missed a period, slight weight gain, abdominal pain near my ovaries that wouldn't go away (I do have ovarian cysts), pregnancy symptoms while not being pregnant, and more. I decided to take the mirena due to bleeding for the last month that wouldn't go away and the stomach pains. My problem now is that I took it out a week before my period was expected to arrive. I started bleeding the 3rd day after removal and am still bleeding.  The color or flow amount hasn't changed any. I usually do not get the usualy cramps, breast pains, ect  most would get with their periods...and was due to start my period June 30th. I cannot tell if I am on my period or not :/. I have checked my uterus opening for signs...but again, I can't tell. My husband and I were looking to trying to get pregnant on my next ovulation date, which is next week should I have started my period on time. Has anyone else who has been tracking their periods and ovulations experienced this? Did you get pregnant when you were expecting to? Does anyone know how to tell the difference with the bleeding from mirena and your period? I've even been to the Obgyn and she had no answers for me. I am now scheduled to see another Obgyn because of my current Dr.s "lack" of knowledge or interest in the matter.That's in about a weeks time. Please help! (I have since bought PT tests and ovulations tests as my last resort. and am still tracking things as if I am still on schedule even though I have no clue if this Mirena screwed everything up).
I had my IUD removed on June.13th, 2012. I spotted very little for one day and still no period... I have some of the same symptoms as I did when I was pregnant, but had a negative test.. Is it possible to preg. even though I didnt have a period???

What has been the outcome to the issue...are/aren't you pregnant?  I had the coil removed 5 weeks a go, about 10 days after I had spotting for a day, and not yet had a period.  I know your body needs to regulate itself again so i am not worried about this.  However, i do have all those common pregnancy symptoms that have been mentioned numerous times in all the recent posts.  But I have done PTs and had negative responses.  We are trying for a baby, but because with the coil I never had periods, I therefore have no clue when one is due, or when I am meant to ovulate.  Everyone is different and everyones bodies react differently.
the bleeding should stop.
OMG i had your same problems.........i still do and i only had my coil for 3 months i wish i never ever put it in my body ...........it messed up my body
hi all. i have had my coill in for 3 years now and although i have not had a period since then(heaven) the downside is no damn sex drive at all( so not me) i really wana get this thing out.. i have managed to lose 52lb since havin it thru gym and slimming world... i now want it out as i want my sex drive back... i want to kno from someone who had it out,, do you periods start straight away? can u use tampax straight away??? has anyone found NO weight gain since havin it out.... HELP... im at a loss here
anyone??????
Xin314, i had gotten the mirena uid removed august 30 due to getting cramps, mood swings, no sex drive and weight gain. 4 days later (sept  4) I started A PERIOD which was heavy with blood cloths that soaked a pad every 2-3 hours. Lasted almost a week of hell. Life hasn't been the same. Face breaks out in crazy pimples and it's been 41 days since sept and still no period. Something isn't right with my mind & body cause nothing has changed. No desire to be sexually active. Just want my body back to normal. I did manage to lose the weight gained from the IUD fast which seems to be the only plus side of everything. I more then certain i'm not pregnant due to low sex drive and know i haven't been sexual active. I guess i should add, I did get pregnant back in May but had a miscarriage and a D&C july 14 and soon after had the iud inserted. I dont know about anyone else but I WONT recommend getting the Mirena. Everyday i'm hoping to get my period and get my mind and body back to normal.
I had my iud removed on 9-25 I got my period on the very next day it last for about 3 day I trying to have a baby so I have been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend every night I was due for my period on 10-22 no period yet I took a hpt 6 days before my period was due. It was neg I have not took on yet sence my period been late what should I do its now 10-31 and I'm scared I want this baby and this would be baby number 3 for me so!!!!!!!!!!! Help please
I had my Mirin IUD removed 30 days ago and I had my period for the last 28 days and the last week was so heavy with big blood clots, it was very scary, I was feeling faint, thank goodness for this website, because I got through it without even having to call the doctor since I knew others had gone through it and survived. Today is day 30 and I am period free and never felt better. Make sure you take a good iron supplement and drink lots of water, and don't put your faith on the doctors who omit info!
Thank you!
I got my Mirena removed on 11/16/12 after 3 years of having it. I was so excited about the removal. Looking forward to my body getting back to normal. I spotted off and on for the first 5-6 days after removal of Mirena. On 12/8/12 I got a full fledge period, heavy to moderate bleeding, lower back pain, and one big pimple on my chin. I'm expecting period to last at least 5-7 days and just waiting to see if the other months to come are regular periods. I feel better that I have the Mirena out. All these symptoms I had with the Mirena: weight gain, stuffy nose off and on all the time, mild soreness in center of chest at certain times of the month, lower back pain,and no sexual drive/desire. I've seen an improvement on all my symptoms except sex drive. I'm happy to say I've lost 3 lbs since removal and hope that it will continue to gradually go down to the weight I was prior to insertion. Agree with Alice and glad for website like this where you can realize you're not the only girl with Mirena story. Hang in there Ladies!!
I had my coil out on the 7th jan and I had abit of bleed on the 11th til 13 th jan but no mire since then.
So how long dose it take to have a period?? Me and my husband have been having sex but he puts it inside me for abit then just before he comes he puts a condom on
It could take for one month to six months to get a period I think unless u go back to the dr. And get prover50mg perscribed after u had waited for two hole months .....that's what happen to me but we r all different so just be patient itll come.
Okay I really would Love Some Advise!! IM 22YRS YOUNG I HAD THE IDU (Mirena 2008-2013) full 5yrs not a period at all the hole time
I just had the idu removed Jan.18.2013 came out with ease No bleeding no cramping nothing . Was sore on day2 felt like a truck hit me haha but no bleeding still. Ive Been tring to concieve sense day one of removal.  My son has just turn 5yrs old and would love to give him a sibling asap.  Its now been about 4wks No bleeding no symptoms of. Upcoming period or pregnacy. Im truely worried about. Not being able to concieve ive toom 3 PT and all neg. Maybe it to early to tell but im anxious and ready to have my #2and give my #1a bestfriend before he get to much older. Like I said ive had no period all 5yrs and now 29days after ive had IuD removed Im so hopful and it sad to see my husband  get excited. While wait for the home PT. Resu lts and it be neg. It breaks my heart:(  ive been taking prenatals sense removal sense Dr. Recomened . Any one else going through what I am going through
It could take for one month to six months to get a period I think unless u go back to the dr. And get prover50mg perscribed after u had waited for two hole months .....that's what happen to me but we r all different so just be patient itll come.............

I have also been trying since I got it removed in august but no luck yet well it may take a cycle to conceive but as dr. Say its better to wait after 3 cycles to try to conceive Becouse its possible to have a m/c cus of the lining of the uterus......but there has been womans that have conceive after one cycle and had a safe pregnatcy but it all depends on your body.......may be u should try testing for ovulation and may be get lucky any thing is possible just have faith!! Well wish u the best dont stress on it to much try to stay relaxed I know its hard cus ive been threw that. Good luck and let us know when u get ur BFP :)
i getting my IUD taking out soon. but  right after i want to be put on Clomid.
do you think my ob will go for it
I know this post is kind of old but was just wondering how you made out. I was due for my period on the 4th I had the copper iud removed on the 3rd, i continue to have a lot of cramping like i'm getting it but it is know the 7th and still not had it and i've alway's get it on the 4th of every month soo i'm pretty regular .. but have bein freaking out
I had my iud removed 5 days ago and have had extreme period symptoms since but nothing except some barely noticeable spotting when wiping. I feel miserable like I am stuck in premenstrual hell . How long did it take you to start your actual period or for the symptoms to go away?
I wonder why there aren’t any class action yet on Paragard?? I would like to start getting women who have been suddenly diagnosed with Endometriosis or coincidental now have it after having it removed? Also any other complications such as Miscarriages,PID etc or had Endometrial tissue implanted in a rare part of body. I promise that I will get our story out and possibly get this lawsuit started. Please email me your Story @ ***@****. I am not giving up and know that there many cases like mines.
It's my Jen21625 at Yahoo
I'm about to have it removed tomorrow, and I am wondering...Will I start my period...I only have it for 11 months...I am getting it removed because I developed infections around Mirena IUD...I had bleeding last week and Been hurting and I've been cramp and hurts while I have my "Play time" with my husband...I kinda want to get preg this year...But only problem is the period is in the question...I'm good at counting my days of period and when to ouvlate. I'd appericate the answers that you may have.
I noticed y'all have Prenacny like sytmpoms after IUD is removed....I just had mine removed as of May 17th, 2013....I haven't started my period...removal was painless! It was quick as 2 seconds...I'm glad...I plan on giving my body time to get regulate...My dr pescribed me TriNessa birth control pill to prevent preg...I'm serious, If I say no to him, he'd aruge.
I don't want to take Birth Control because I need my hormoes level back to normal...That's important.
I had the coil removed after 1year,I have bled so heavy 4 well over a week.still avnt stopped,chronic back ache.never again,
Family planning will not remove the iud if they did not put it in I to.d me I had to go only to the doc that put it in and then come back for a different birth control the removal costs about 300$
I had my Mirena for 4.5 years. After the first two months of having it, I had semi-normal periods. And nothing after that, no periods, no cramping, nothing. All of a sudden around the last year I had it, I was getting depressed, stressed and frustrated over the smallest little things. I didn't feel right, couldn't think straight, everything in my mind was a fight for whatever reason. I found myself being short with my daughter and my fiancé, who tried but had no idea of what to do for me. I had the Mirena taken out January 3rd, 2013. I had one normal period the month following removal. Then the second month after removal I was at a Dr. apt with my daughter at her Dr. and had this strange warm GUSH while in the waiting room, went to the bathroom, and sure enough it was the HEAVIEST period I have ever had in my life!! No cramping though. Had to leave then and reschedule my daughter appt. Since then, my "periods" have been spotting for 3 weeks, clear for a week then over and over the same cycle again. Its been almost 8 months, when is this gonna get back to normal???????
Have you had a period yet?? I had mine removed about 2 months ago and first month after removal all tests were negative and I am on the pill. Wondering if you got yours and when?
I had mirena removed august 8th 2013, I have had breast tenderness, cramps and lower back pains. Also been extremely tired and just wanting to sleep all the time. I am hoping i'm not pregnant. :/
I had the merena iud in for a year but I got it taken out taken out September the 6th 2013 because i was cramping really bad and might have An infection. I had it removed while i was spotting a little because thats when your cervix has softened. But the next day after removal I had brown spotting to a watery red period. Now it's the 11th of September 2013 and I'm still bleeding heavy but only when I wipe, how long does this last? I'ts driving me insane!
I had a peragard IUD in for 5 1/2  years. Removed it on April 2013 it is now November 20013 and me and my partner have been having unprotected sex and I'm still not pregnant. Is that normal? We really want to concive. I don't know wat to do. I get normal periods sometimes behind for a couple days. Everything is normal I just can't seem to get pregnant.
Hi all, I had my last period the 1st November and had my copper coil removed the 29th November (had intercourse the night before) I still haven't had my period since!! Can any anyone give me advise? Is this normal? I havnt done a test yet.....please help if you can.
I have been reading a lot of comments on when you should/could get your period after you get your IUD removed. But most of the women had their IUD for months even years.
As for me I only had mine in for 4 days in February until I had to get it removed because I had all the side effects. It took a week to get the fever and infection under control.
I started getting cramps just last week but no blood.  
I will ask my doctor but I'm just wondering if anyone else has been through this like myself. And if so when did you get your period back.

Thanks in advance.
i had the mirena removed 2 weeks ago and idk how soon after im supposed to have a period, i havent had one in three years; my doctor said not to try getting pregnant until ive had three normal cycles but ive had a headache for 4  days now and feel nauseous in the evenings, does anyone have any answers for me please?
Did anyone spotted or had a period right after the IUD was put in? Was just wandering because I am still spotting?
hi everyone whom is on this birth control IUD I have had this in place for around 4 years now. I really dislike it because I have that constant prego feeling like something is there and when I take home pg test they come back ---- yup seen my doctors saying that everything was looking good come to my knowledge she cut the strings too short for me to even feel and I was always in doubt that something was wrong, well let it at that and now some 2 years later I start to get shorter and shorter periods. to the point that it just stopped ,don't get me wrong but our periods might be a pain in the butt,  BUT  I know that my body is cleaning it self out . but now I have been 3 months no period it ***** "I look like big balloon , crazy mood swings , pain in my stomach . and major back pain.. I had enough of this I had my hubby pull it out and what a relive that was and now to wait for a old visit of mother nature... and I will keep you all up dated on how this is going....  
I am a 30yr. I never had a regular cycle. It would always range from 28-36 days. I am moderely anemic. Ive only had the Paragard in for about a year. While the IUD was in my cycles were longer and heavier than when I didnt have it in. Sometimes lasted up a month. Took the IUD out about 3 weeks ago. 2 days before removing the IUD I had finally stopped my period. Since then I havent gotten my period back. Does it usually take a while to get back on track(cycle) once the Paragard is out?
Hi ladies,i put my IUD on dec 2011 after my 2#,i got a period every three month and it was very light, then i decided to  took my mriena out by myself on April 06,i had unprotected sex before i removed till now ttc 3#,i had a light brownish bleeding for 4 days after the withdrawel then i think i ovaluated on 10th of april because i saw egg white mucus,then starting from April 12 i have been suffered from bloating,tirdness,vivid dreams,sore boobs,migrane,mode swing,horrible lower back pain,cramps.i thought i was preg so i took 3 tests but all came neg,so i dont know if had miriena crash or i am preg??my last period came on march 28, i took hp amd it come negative, my doctor told me it may take 2 month to have a period,iam disappointed
I am 31 yrs. Old and removed my iud 1st of september this year. The first ob i went had hard time pulling out bcoz the string went in. Itwas too painful that i felt like i was giving birth.  After how many minutes of agony he said hecant and i have to go back to the place i had it. On the same day i went there. They took another ultrasound and tried to pull it out. It wa painful but as the first one. I got bleeding for 3 days ad then spotting and it stopped. On the 9th of september blood came so i thought it was my period so i took contraceptive pills. But bleeding continues until 23rd of sept. I still continued  the contraceptive pills and my husband and i are having our adult intimate moments.  I read in one of the article that condom should be used inthe first 1 month......iam just hoping im not preggo.... by the way i had my iud removed b oz i observed of many changes in my body; gain weight, acne, severe headache that j thought i had eye problem, leg cramps, tummy pain during exercise, mood swings, chest pain, and  sleepless nights. Now i am not feeling mostly those. My leg cramps were gone, acne is getting well, severe headache is gone , chest pain i felt it once last week, and i felthappier i  the morninv to syart my day.   So far thats all.
I HAVE A QUESTION I PUT THE IUD IN 6 WEEKS POST MY BABYS BIRTH WHICH WAS IN 2013. I TOOK IT OUT DEC 17TH DUE TO IT MOVING. WHEN WILL ME PERIOD RETURN. ( I DINT HAVE IT THE ENTIRE TIME ON THE IUD)
Not an answer but to question with you i had mirena removed 11m ago nd i have not had a regular period yet my husband nd i are trying but no luck i am starting to think something is wrong with me @soon to be 28yrs old anyone else had a similar problem
I have my iud still in my hair is thinning as well, i lost so much hair now when i curl it the curls are so small. its very sad. But after reseraching this birthcontrol i think its not likely. Theres a 1% chance of getting pregnent. Alot of people have a hard time after 1 year after taking it out.
i had mine removed a month ago after having it in for 5 years my hair has also thinned considerably and hasnt seemed to grow any longer in the last 5 years im still waiting for my periods to come back and i also put on a lot of weight while i had the coil fitted now slowly loseing the weight but hoping my hair will start growing again and thicken up a bit just want my body back now