how soon does period resume after iud removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

how long does it take for period to return
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I can answer this one. I have had an IUDs since year '97' so I know alot about it. I just had it removed this July because my husband and I were trying to concieve (conceive). We got pregnant in August.
IUDs do not cause hormonal inbalance like birth control pills. If you have had regular periods every month then the removal of the IUD should not change your cycle. Unless you got pregnant.
The only thing that changes is the really heavy periods because normally with IUDs, you have extremly heavy and watery periods. Sorry if this grosses some people out. You period should resume as normal 28 days from you last period if you have been tracking them. I it does not resume, then I would call the DR and take a HPT. I got pregnant immediately. I lost it from an EP but that is another matter. I hope this helps.
Suni
I wanted to add for my comment on the birth control pills. I am not an expert with that but I think they do something with your period or change your cyle. I know the IUD only makes you bleed heavier. Don't quote me on the BCP because I could have that info wrong.
Suni
I had a far different experience with my IUD, but have heard it can go either way. I had mine placed 8 weeks PP with my son (July of 04) and just had mine removed on Nov 7. I nursed until my son was 15 months (bedtime feeding only from 13 months on) but still did not get a period for the first few months of partially weaning. Finally, I got my first af in August. It was light and barely noticable. Same with Sept and with Oct. But once I got the IUD removed last Monday, I have had bleeding episodes after intercourse. They typically only last a few hours, but I still found it odd. The good news is that it doesn't appear to have messed with my cycle. I was due to ovulate on the 11th, and even with the few bleeding episodes (I was starting to wonder if my calendar had been reset) I still had those familiar O pains on Friday.

If your cycle doesn't return, definitely follow the advice gien above. Take an HPT, if negative, consult your doctor.

Good luck!

Andi

thankyou for the info im due to start on the 16 of this month all i can do is wait but i've been having pregnancy signs had blood test as well as hpt they both came out neg of course this was in oct first week and im still having the flutters in my stomach and dizziness breast leaks nausea sensitive to smells what do you girls think about this ive posted on some other boards spoke to a few women who say that they're hcg levels were low and couldn't find out until they were 2 1/2 mths
If you are reading negative on both blood and urine HPTs, there is no way your "flutters" are due to a baby moving around : ) I had phantom flutters with my IUD in and a few even in the few short days since its removal. Most likely just a muscle spasm of sorts.

A very wise woman on these boards has been known to say that symptoms are one of the worst ways to detect pregnancy and I am inclined to agree. PMS symptoms and pregnancy symptoms are very similar and are easily confused. Stress can also cause your mind and body to play tricks on you. Wait to see what happens, if af is late and it is normally quite regular, then maybe you should take a test.

Good luck!

Andi
I agree with Andi. Stress can play a factor. Also, women who want to get pregnant bad enough sometimes have pregnancy symptoms. I am not saying that you are that case but it happens.
I still want to get pregnant after the Ectopic pregnancy but it will happen when it happens. It is in God's time for me.
If the blood test came out negative, then you are not pregnant.
I think Andi also mentioned that. I hope everything goes well for you.
Suni
I never really have periods on IUD's. I had my last IUD for 3 years and no periods (ok, maybe pinkish tint here and there, but that's all). I had it removed in January of '05 and was told by my MD to use condoms the first two months after the IUD removal to minimize an ectopic pregnancy.  We did.  We waited until mid-March, and we were pregnant right away.  Our due date was 12/23/05.  I now have my 2nd IUD. It's been 1 1/2 and still no period. I stopped nursing 7months ago.  Anyway, it seems that my periods returned almost right away.
Is this possible??? I had my IUD removed almost 3 weeks ago.  My period is a couple of days late, which Never happens. I was waiting for my period to start so I could start my pill. I did a pregnancy test today: It is POSITIVE!!!! How did that happen? It's alright...I think know the answer...
I had the IUD for two years.  Unfortunatley the string was too short and when I decided to have it removed I had to have it surgically removed.  I did this the end of July and now that Im reading some more on conception after IUD removal and how it is common for a ectopic pregnancy Im freaked out.  I never had periods on the IUD and I started to cycle three days after the removal.  It lasted about four days and now Im spotting and im not sure if its due to intercourse or if my body is still trying to be regular.  Any ideas?
I found this on a website, I too am freaked out about IUD removal.  I am scheduled to have it removed at the end of this month. And almost evertyhing I am reading is scaring the heck  out of me . I Hope it helps you, I found some compfort in it.

"After removal of the IUD, the inflammatory reaction rapidly disappears. Resumption of fertility after removal of both copper-bearing and levonorgestrel- releasing IUDs is rapid and occurs at the same rate as resumption of fertility after the discontinuation of barrier methods of contraception.9 The incidence of term deliveries, spontaneous abortion, and ectopic pregnancies in conceptions occurring after IUD removal is the same as in the general population not using any form of contraception."
I had a miscarriage in october 2006 and had to have a DNC in november.  A couple of weeks after, I had the IUD put in.  In April 2007, my husband and I decided to try and concieve (conceive) so I had it removed.  It took about 2 months for my cycle to start and I bled continuously for about 4 wks.  I have not had another cycle since.  I'm starting to get worried because we desperately want to concieve (conceive) but I'm afraid that something is wrong.  In all the forums I've read, no one has had an experience like mine and I'm wondering if I should consult my doctor.  Any advice?
I just had mine removed as well.  I had a cycle(what I thougt was a cycle).  If it was my first cycle after the iud then Im due now for Augusts cycle.  I will post more comments to keep you updated.  I would also contact your doctor to keep him/her aware of your situation.
I had my IUD removed on July 10, 2007 and started to bleed three days after it was removed, but only last for three days. Was that  my cycle or is it due to the IUD being removed? Anyway I took a digit pregnacy test two weeks ago and I had one positive reading and 4 negative readings. The last test I took was on Monday July 13/07 and it was negative. I am now five days late if in fact I had a cycle last month.  Has anyone experienced this before.  Please help!
I too had my IUD removed. June 29, 2007 I bleed for about 1 week. When my period came it lasted 3 days very light. My next cycle due on August 11 was only one day late but I had really bad pains on leftside. Went to the ER pregnancy not detected but found fibroid very small. Three hours after I left period started with intense cramps  bled heavy for two days. Third day it ended. Since then uterus contracting regularly. Doctor cannot explain why. All test okay!!! I'm starting to think we were pregnant but miscarried. And the uterus is trying to get it's self back to size. Make sure, like I plan  to do that something isn't blocking Tubes or Uterus doesn't have any porblems. Good Luck
Trying to concieve (conceive),
I had my IUD placed 8 weeks after my LO was born (LO is now 15 1/2 months), and just had mine removed on July 20. I nursed until my LO was 13 months (bedtime feeding only from 11 months on) but still did not get a period for the first few months of partially weaning.  I have not had a period for a complete 2 years, i waited 20days after removal of IUD before trying to concieve (conceive).  I've had my IDU taken out for 1 month 1 day and have not gotten a period.  Is it possible i could be pregnant?  If I take HPT now will it give an accurate reading?  What brand of HPT is dependable.
i had an iud for two years and dint have my period for those two years now i took it out and i got pregnant with no period and now im not sure when is my due date. so i think is different for people my sister had an iud and she allways gets her periods each month.
I had mine for 5 years, had it removed 3.5weeks ago and found out I am pregnant today. I did'nt think I would get pregnant the first month after it was taken out. I was WRONG!
You can get pregnant the first few weeks after removal BE CAREFUL.
I am proof.....IUD is out for 3.5wks after 5 years of having it with no period and I'm knocked up.
NO I never started a period in the last 3wks either. I'm a little upset. Fiance' and I were'nt trying to get pregnant did'nt think I could. Was waiting for a period so I could place my Nuva ring.
I was wondering do you start your period a few days after the removal of your iud or is this just from the iud being removed. This will be the first time I will have it removed and didn't know if the iud is like the pill after I had stop taking the pill with my 1st I started bleeding a few days later. It took me 4-months to get pregnant with my 1st child, so i am also wondering if anybody has had a Mirena iud removed and how long did it take you to get pregnant.
Well Im preggo, I had the iud removed six weeks ago and had a short period(3 days only).  Guess you never know
I had my IUD removed like 3 weeks ago I have missed a total of two periods and I keep taking a HPT and it keeps saying negative any advice?  I was due to have my second period August 21st
does anyone know if miscarriage rate is higher if you get pregnant immediately after IUD Removal. I posted here before. Had IUD 5years No period. Taken out August 6th found out I was pregnant August 30th. Last Night I think I miscarried (pain, Gush of bright red bleeding). I'm wondering if its cuz my body had'nt had  a period in 5 years and my uterus just was'nt ready to support a pregnancy yet?
I was on Depo for 6 years with no period.  I got pregnant with my son two months after I should have had my shot.  I was fine.  I am the same way though, I dont have periods while on birth control.  I had the IUD removed July 17th and had a period on the 20th and now I'm pregnant.  I would defenitly see your doctor though medicmama just to be sure.
I too had my IUD removed had light bleeding.  and am now 1 1/2 weeks late but HPT says negative.  I am usually very regular.  Have you heard any advice?
I had four negative HPT before I found out.  Now Im seven weeks.
I have an appt to have my IUD removed this weds and now I'm a little freaked!  Did anyone who got pregnant right after the removal have problems conceiving before?  It took 5 years to get pregnant with our daughter so since she's 18 mo now I thought now would be a good time to get it removed because it would probably take at least a year or two to get pregnant again.  Oh boy.
I was pregnant within a week so If prepare yourself for both.  It is possible to concieve (conceive) quickly and possible for it to take a while(as you can see with all the responses here.
I had an IUD put in back in May of 07 and removed it in July of 07 after I wouldn't stop bleeding and it become a problem for me well since the 7 days I had in July I haven't had one since then. I've had 2 pregnancy test done in the last month and both were negative and still no period. I was going to go have a tubal done here in October since I really don't want anymore children and I'm worried that maybe the test's were wrong and I don't think it would be a good idea to go have this done if the test were wrong what should I do?
Just an update.  I am not pregnant.  I talked to my doctor and after having my IUD removed it caused me to have anovulary cycle.  Which causes the cycle to be delayed 2 to 4 weeks.  Which was my case.  Just a FYI for others out there wondering what could be going on.
i just had my iud removed on sept. 6, i started my period that day when it wasn't due for a week or so, does this mean that my ovulation will occur sooner also?
I just had my IUD taken out on Wednesday, the string was cut to short so it took them a long time and a lot of digging to get it out.  I started bleeding on Saturday, it is now tuesday the new box of tampons is gone and I am working on another.  Should I be worried that I am bleeding so heavily?  I have never bleed this much, and i am not due for my next period for another 2 weeks.
My case is totally different. I removed my IUD in february and my midwife told me I should be due to take in after a month but it never came; all I was experiencing was irregular cycle which delays upto 7 days. I visited my doctor and I was asked to go for a test which the result was that I am not ovulating but everyother was ok. Right now I havent seen my period for the past two months and I am testing negative. Honestly I will like to know if any body is sharing the same experience or is it just me alone in this whole world. Chibos
I was told by my doctor to wait to try to get pregnant at least 1 period after removal because the lining of your cervix is thinned out which can cause misscarriage.
I had my IUD removed on August 21st.  The doctor told me that the risk of pregnancy after removal is the same as if I were never on birth control.  He also said that the risk of EP, miscarriage, and premature birth are typically the same as stopping any other form of BC.  I was due to start my period on Sep. 13th and it is now the 21st with no sign of a period at all.  If by next week I don't have one I'll take a HPT.  I know first hand about freaking yourself out to the point of physical pregnancy symptoms...I did that before my first child was born because I wanted a baby so badly.  My breasts even started secreting a sort of colostrum.  My husband and I have 3 sons now and are wanting a girl.  It'll happen if it does...or it won't.  Either way I don't really believe the IUD has much to do with that.  :)
I had my last period on July 14th and had my IUD taken out July 16th and have not had a period since.  I should have had at least 2 periods by now and I have tested myself with an ovulation kit for about 11 days now without ovulating. My doctor's only suggestion is to induce a period using Provera. I am wondering if anyone else has had a situation like mine and what did they do about it? My husband and I were waiting on at least 1 period before we started trying, and now it just seems to not be coming.
OMG! After reading all of this, it sounds like these IUDs are waaaay more trouble than they are worth!  I'm glad I had mine removed.  I had an infection in May and when I went to have it removed I had another one.  My husband would rather cut it off than cheat on me, so I know it was the IUD that was making me so prone to infection.
i've had my iud now for 2yrs my son will be three 10/20 and i was hoping to get preg asap....im getting the iud removed 10/4 & hope to ovulate around the 7-9 but i dont really know how accurate that is. i started my period on 9/23 and i hope everything will go according to plan due to school. my dr said she would wait a month before trying but i didn really want to due to school, but im wondering if this is too short of time???? PLEASE HELP....I REALLY NEED TO GET PREG NOW!! : )
went on last wed to have iud removed and they could not find it . had to have a ultrasound and they found it up in the canal. went back to doc today and still no strings. doc went digging and he found it and took it out. though it did not hurt. just felt weird. period due on oct 1 should i still get my period???
I have not had a period for 4 years.  I had my IUD removed August 30th and still have had nothing?? Anyone had this problem????
Hi everyone,
I have had my IUD -copper T for 2 years, had it removed August 29th, my period came as usual on the 7th of september.. short and light (think this is because of the removal) I am trying to get pregnant (with my second child). we have had sex about 1-2 times a week for 5 weeks, My period is due in 6 days from today, and I have been putting on weight, my nipples have been on and off being soar and tender, I have had weird cravings for food -chocolate especially, which normally i am not big on chocolate. I have been having slight headaches and been tired (wanting an afternoon nap) and going to the bathroom a little more often (my belly has also started to poof out quiet a bit.. I took a pregnancy test 2 weeks ago, it was negative.. I have the general feeling of being pregnant (anyone who has had a child before knows what i am talking about).... Does this sound like pre-menstral symptoms? Normally i do not become bloated, my tummy does not stick out, and i surley do not care for choclate....  Do you think i could be pregnant? I am also feeling slight flutters and slight cramping...  From what i read above, many of you took several pregnancy tests and the results were negative, but your doctors said you were??
I really want to get pregnant.
This is my first month with out the IUD... How long is it going to take? Or, am i already there?
Last question, Why do you have to wait for a missed period to take the HPT?? or, 3 days before the missed period? why?
You need to wait to take a HPT because the hormone that detects pregnancy would not be detactable before then.
I had my IUD taken out in Aug, started a period and cycles have been regular.  Ovulation kit shows I'm ovulating on day 15.  Totally thought I was pregnant last month, but got my period on day 29.  The symptoms I had were similar to implantation cramping about six days before expected period.  Then I started to get nausious and bloated.  Since then I have continued to cramp even after my period is over.  Don't know why?  I think I was either pregnant and it just didn't take or I developed these symptoms because of wanting to get pregnant.  (Very common).  

Just ovulated again and will wait and see, but cramping continues.  I am concerned that I have some kind of pelvic/uterine issue.  I have a ?hysterosalpingogram? scheduled for after my next period (if it should come).  It is a dye that is injected to check the uteris and tubes via a ultrasound.  I hope it can help solve the unexplained cramping.  

I have three children, with no prior pregnancy issues, other than a miscarriage.  I am 37 though and that could play into fertility issues.  We'll see what happens.  Please let me know if anyone else has had unexplained cramping.

Thanks,  
I got my IUD removed on July 5 of this year- thank goodness. I had no bleeding or symptoms until my first period August 11th. I then had another period on Sept. 5, and another on September 26th (which lasted only two days.) I never had a period with the Mirena, and now have NO idea when to expect a period or not. It's very strange.
I am 25 I have 2 children 6 and almost 3 I had my IUD in since Dec of 2004 I just had it taken out on Oct1 and started trying the same day.(I had just got off my period on Sept 30th) I was showing to Ovulate by the 6th. I started spotting dark brown. Not all day but a few times a day on Oct 8th. and today a little red and then it went away after about an hour. Could this mean I am already PG? I know an HPT wont show up until around the 23rd. I feel like I am pregnate. sleepy,get a little light headed, need cake,soup etc. breats a little sore, lower back pain off and on.

Thanks for your comments
i am the exact same way...i had mine removed on 10/04 and i also got off my AF around the 28...i started ttc asap on the 4th....i havent had any bleeding but the other early symptoms are there....i plan on takin an HPT on the 20 so who knows.....
I am 27, my babies are 4 and 6.  I had Mirena put in in Feb 2005 and had every side effect imaginable (weight gain, acne, cramps, sore lumps in breasts, headaches, etc.)  About one year into having Mirena, my periods stopped all together.  Finally I could not handle the side effects anymore, so on Oct 4 2007 I had it removed.  The day after, I started a light period that lasted for 4 days.  Nothing since then.  If my body was going to return to a 28 day cycle, I should have started 4 days ago.  I have taken 3 over the counter tests.  The first one had a VERY light positive result, the other two were both imediately negative.  I have been sick in the mornings (very reluctant to call "morning sickness") for the past week, then fine during the day.  Anyone else have these problems?
I had no spotting today. :-) I still feel the same so iguess I will post back on or around the 23rd
Just an updated on my symptoms.  Wish I could understand what's going on.  I have gone through four cycles since my IUD was taken out.  Ovulation and periods normal...29 days apart and ovulating on the 15th.  The only issue is after my second period I began to cramping in my lower back and abdomen.  Feeling bloated at times and the aches come and go, but are mostly there From period start to next period. It's like I'm having a period non stop and occasionally just feeling pregnant, but am definitely not.   Finally had an ultrasound and it showed a 2cm cyst in my ovary.  No real symptoms on that side...??   Have tried to conceive three times now with only two being within the optimal timing.  After this period that I just got,  I will wait seven days and they will put dye into my Uteris and tubes and check everything on day seven.  Shouldn't interfere with next cycle. Hoping this will uncover the mystery of my symptoms.  I hope to shed light on how IUDs can affect you and me.  I will be intouch.  Please let me know if anyone has had problems getting pregnant and or symptoms similar to mine.  Thanks!
I am having similar symptoms to some of you!  I had IUD put in July 07.... hated it... bleeding non stop... what is the point of it if im always bleeding... then husband and i decided to ttc,  Had IUD removed Sept 7.... had bleeding right after for like 5 ish days... and now im due and nothing... hpt negative but im anxousely awaiting it.  I want to ttc asap and I feel like I need to have my PD first to get my self back on sched.  After reading some of your postings it could possible to be PG... I just dont know how long I should wait bfr contacting my DR.  
well.....i couldnt take the wait anymore so i took a HPT 2 days before AF......AND......i got a BFP!!! im so happy good luck to everyone else!!!!
My prior posting said I had IUD removed on Oct 4, but I meant Sept 4.  Finally called Dr.  She told me to wait until 8 weeks after last bleeding, then call.  I'll be calling her one week from today, if something doesn't happen soon.  Test still says Negative.
I had my Mirena for 1yr and have had it take out now for 6mo. I've read the "tips on getting pregnant" web pages and taken the Ov. test -they tested positive- but still no baby!! My husband and I have a 2yr old and want to make him a lil brother or sister. I am really regretting ever using the Mirena, everyone else seems to be making babies right away and we still have had no luck, its making me more sad I'm not sure we will ever have another....Any advice from anyone????
Started today....I guess test were right, I'm not PG
CONGRATS to you and your family!!!!

I started spotting brown today it should be my period but its not red.... Hopefully I can test soon and get a Positive result and we chat chat the whole 9 mths together! lol
thank you so.....much! i finally went today for proof so all i need now is my 1st visit.....the only problem is i dont know who to go to because im new to my town and i didn't want to just pick someone random....but i guess thats what its come down to...but again THANKS!!!
I had my IUD removed on 10/8/07 and bled a few days later for only a few days slightly.  Doubt it was a period but unsure of my cycle and ovulation schedule since I haven't had a period in 2.5 yrs while on Mirena.  Past two weeks I have been so bloated and feel "thick" around my wasitline.  I always fluctuate a few pounds and have not gained any more than that so I am confused about why my clothes are so tight!!!  I have taken 2 pregnancy tests and both were NG.  Thoughts????
    IZZY 82 ,

I am 25 and have a seven and four year old boys. I had the Mirena placed in 2003, having it for four years now. Me and my Husband want to have another babie a girl now!!!! So I just had it removed on October 30,2007 and on Oct.31,07 started bleeding with blood clots,its been about three days now and still going.I wonder the same could it be from the removal or my period??? I also was told to wait for two months but it seems so long since it takes me two to two in half years to become pregnant with both my sons. That is because I only have one fallopien tube and one overy, I was born special I was told by my sergion when i had a c-sections. I hoping I will come out pregnat sooner than two years!!!! I dont belive I would do a IUD agian because I never really had a period, I would spot onece in a while . I would rather have my periods because of weight gain and ance that wont go away ever since the IUD!!!!  Well I hope the best comes out for all you Women out there GOD BLESS!!!!
I had my copper IUD in for 8 years and got it removed October 20th. My fiance' and I want to have a child asap as I feel that I am 39 its now or never. I always had regular periods the lasted 6-7 days during the time my IUD was in me. We had regular intercourse about a week after (during my ovulation) and onward until Nov 7th when I got my period. What is strange is that my period only lasted 4 days and was moderate to light flow. It ended quite abruptly so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I have been feeling nauseaus and dizzy at times with insane cravings for carbs. No sore breasts though (not regularly anyway, some slight soreness but irregular), some weight gain but that could be due to giving into those carb cravings. I have never had problems getting pregnant but its been 12 years since my last pregnancy sooooooo................... I hope I am pregnant but will keep trying if I am not! By the way very good information in this forum thanks!
I just had my IUD removed 4 days ago. The night before the removal, my husband and I had sex.  Could it be possible that I could have gotten pregnant from having sex the night BEFORE the removal?  I have had no signs of a period... not even spotting from the removal. Oh... and I also concieved both of my children while on birth control. Thanks.
I had My Copper IUD removed last week on Monday November 5th, I had it in for 3 1/2 years I was supposed to get my period Monday the 12th I started spotting today Wednesday November 14th but it is a brownish color has anyone had this experience and if so does the period continue or does it stop after a few days?
UPDATE! I just wanted to let everyone know after having my copper IUD removed last Monday NOV 5th my period was supposed to start the following Monday the 12th my periods are always regular 28 - 29 days I just started my period today Thursday the 15th after brownish spoting with regular cramping I think it is because your body is trying to get the IUD out so when you take it out it shocks your body anyway I thought this might help somebody out there.
When was your last period? If it was just a couple weeks ago you could have gotten pregnant. But did you have the Copper IUD or the Mirena with hormones. If you had the copper IUD that is what I had and I had no spotting after removal and like I said my period was even late and that has'nt happend since I had the IUD put in nearly 4 years ago.  
I just wanted to update anyone interested in trying to get pregnant after IUD.  I posted in Oct.  I have tried for four months after removal and had period cramping for most of the time between my periods after removal.  I was concerned that the IUD had affected my fertility. I just found out that my fourth try was a success!!  I think the cramping I was having was my uteris trying to get back to normal after having a hormone in there.  My advice is to wait three months before trying to get pregnant, if you can. Good Luck!
i had Mirena IUD removed Aug 12th 2007 and haven't had my period yet!!! since then i have been under quite a bit of stress and i am still breastfeeding so i haven't thought it SO unusual that i haven't gotten my period.  (i did not ever get a period with the Mirena IUD.)  i am starting to get concerned now though since it has been a full 3months. pregnancy test was negative (and i don't have symptoms). am thinking about going to a midwife and acupuncture/herbalist to get more natural remedy. any feedback welcome.
i had an IUD put in may of 04 and i had it taken out in the begining of october and i still have not had a period? i want to get pregnant but i am afraid that the IUD messed my body up. am i just impatient? can i still get pregnant even with not having a period??
I was just wanting to know if you had the mirena or copper IUD? if you still post on this site thank you!
i posted my last bulletin asking about the pregnancy thing and how long it would take for me 2 get pregnant...well i found out on dec. 1st that i am pregnant so i guess u can get pregnant without having a period.
I have that feeling pregnant after the falling out of my IUD! I haven't had a period yet! and Its now a week past my period being due and I'm getting the NEG test result on the preg test! How long did it take to register that you were indeed pregnant? So  is it possible to get pregnant before getting that first period?
had my IUD removed on the 5th of NOV. got my period on the 7th of NOV. bleeding lasted for 7-9 days.now i have yet to have a period for the month of DEC. should i be worried about preg?  i have never had "regular cycles, but i thought BC was suppose to regulate them. should i be taking a test? COULD I BE PREG?

KAY
Hi, mine has now been out since the 10th of Nov and I have yet to have a period, it's now Dec 13th! I have ALL the pregnancy symptoms but I am STILL getting the NEG  results on the pregnancy test! I called my doctor the other day and she said I can very well be pregnant and it's just to soon to read. She also said that if by Jan 10th (60days) I have still have not had a period and the pregnancy  test is still NEG then she wants to see me to get me started on a prescription  to get the periods going again. I also want to mention that I only had the Mirena for a year total with NO periods at all! The first time I had Mirena it took me 6months to conceive (trying) after the removal! So it's very well possible that our bodies were just not used to producing our  natural chemicals  and they are just getting back on track (hints the pregnancy symptoms)! or maybe we are indeed pregnant??? And thank you for posting KAY KAY at least I know I'm not alone=) Please keep us posted and let us know if you are preggers!
I posted before I had my Copper IUD removed on November 5th I got a positive pregnancy test on December 8th So I just wanted to encourage everyone out there thanks Julie
I had the mirena in for just under one year.  I had it removed the monday before Thanksgiving. 2 days later had some bleeding was it my period????  I had my period every 28 days before the mirena was placed for the most part.  If that was my period I should have my  period starting today.  I took a pregnancy test yesterday because i am going to the bathroom several times at night and am very sleepy, i am crampy but not all the time.  Preg test said neg but I still don't feel like  i am getting my period. I am confused, I would love to be preg could i be and it is just to soon to tell?  How long do i wait to retest and was that my period and why am i peeing so much at night HELP ME I AM SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Robyn  P.S.  when i had the mirena I never had a period and if i did it was really just spotting but felt a little cramping every month when it would have been due
I had my Copper IUD removed on Nov. 28th and according to my 26 day cycle I was supposed to get my period on Tuesday the 18th. I'm 3 days late and have had 2 negative HPTs. I really don't have any pregnancy symptoms like my first daughter that I was vomitting every minute of the day...Just slight nausea... I'm concerned that my IUD messed up my reproductive system and will not be able to have children.  My Fiancee and I want a baby and this is driving me crazy...I called my doctor today but because of the holiday I won't be able to see her until Wednesday.  Has anyone had a similar experience and tested positive when they had a blood test done??? Please advise...

I had my IUD removed Halloween of 2006. Now 14 months later I still haven't conceived. I have even done 3 months of clomid with no luck. I'm only 25 so I never thought conceiving would be this hard. I have 2 girls. Oldest one I was pregnant first month of trying youngest took almost11 months of trying. I'm starting to get concerned that its not gonna happen. Every month I am so disappointed when af comes. Any words of wisdom  anyone?

Lisa
Hi, Everyone
I also have confusing symtoms (symptoms). I had my Mirena IUD remove Nov. 26. On Nov. 28 I had two days of a really heavy flow. But I had the IUD in for two years and had the Depo. shot for six years before that so I haven't had a period in eight years.  So since Nov. 28th I haven't had a period since. I have a few pregnancy symptoms but had 4 neg. HPT since Dec. 24th. Now it is Jan. 12th and no signs of a period or a positive PT.  Any suggestions????
Hi, everyone. I had my Mirena put in October 19th, and had it removed January 11th, due to constantly having my period. I have been slightly bleeding since Friday. I also started having sex on the 13th. I am ttc and and hoping that I won't have any problems ttc. I've always had heavy periods. The mirena had my period going crazy. I wonder if I should wait to get pregnant because of the removal. Also, my 6yr old daughter was conceived on my period and was hoping the same results would happen again, and she was also conceived in January and born in October. So I am hoping and praying. :)
I had the minena in for approx. 8 months I have been diagnosed with large ovarian cysts. The Doc put me on BC to take care of the cysts and since hubby and I decided that this is the year to start trying, took the IUD out. I continues with the BC for about two weeks (makes me depressed).  I am due for my period this week and I just don't feel "right."  I feel like I am eating more, thickening in the waste line and off. I know that if I were to get PG, I'd be happy, so am activley trying to not be anxious. I took to test (yes, early) and both neg. First questions) doesn't stopping BC make you start early? and Secondly, it would be wonderful for someone to tell me that its too early to be pregnant cause, I am still pretty uncertain of my cycle- in my head, I think that the removal of the IUD (I bled two days from the procedure - nurse said my cervix got scraped pretty good) and then I think I started my period after that, but can't be sure- so, really, is my cycle even "on?
Thanks-
TS
I had my IUD put in after the brith of my son in April 2004. I had it in for about a year when I started haveing pain that felt like something was pinching me on the inside when I went to the doctor I found out my IUD had started to fall out. So I had a new one put in a the pain went away. This past April I ahd it took out because me and my husban wasnted another baby. I still am not peragent my periods are so messed up I am either on time or like now I will bleed for 2 or three monthes. At first thought it was nothing because I never had a period with my IUD this is the frist time I have had a period in 6 years. I was on the Depo shot for two years befor I had my son and I got peragent in 2 monthes and now that I have had my IUD took out I can not seem to get perganet. So if anyone has any helpfull advice I will Happly take it.                            THANKS-
                                                         DaphLynn
I had my IUD taken out Oct 1 and got a positive TODAY!!!!!! :-) Jan 20th good luck to all
I had my IUD taken out Christmas Eve of 2007, I have been bleeding off and on..... When I had my IUD in I never had a period. I hate it because my husband and I are trying to have a baby and I dont know when my period is suppost to be happin or anything. I almost feel like if I dont get pregnate or have a miscarrage (miscarriage) then it is my fault for having the IUD in in the first place. Does anyone feel that way? I wonder if I will get pregnate.... I SURE HOPE SO!!!! :(
I feel that same way...I got my IUD removed in June and I am still having problems getting my cycle to regulate. I have been kicking myself for getting the IUD in the first place. I hope I can conceive soon. Good luck to all!
I had my last period on 12/10/07, my IUD removed on 12/19 followed by 4 days of heavy bleeding and clotting. Since then i have had no sign of a period to come. I have taken 2 HPT and one blood test. I know i should be patient. I just wish either that I'd find out i was pregnant, or get my period. I am frusterated. On top of it all, my breast hurt, i could eat all day every day, and i'm tired....are these sympathy pains or what? is anyone else going through this? do i just need to be more patient? ANY THOUGHT WELCOME!!!

StephyG
I had my period january 5th and it started to disappear after my iud was removed. I was sexually active with my fiance 1/11, 1/13, 1/14, 1/16, 1/18, 1/19, 1/23 and 1/24. and i started bleeding on 19th, and still bleeding. i am always making a run for the bathroom, have a big appetite, and tired also. Had some breast soreness but it stopped. I have gagged a couple times when I brush my teeth too. so i am so lost on what's going on. I took a test on 1/23 during the afternoon and it was negative. i was upset. i'm just not sure if this is my period or implantation bleeding. i want to test again but dont want a negative result. it's like i have sex everyday sometimes more than once a day, and nothing. i just want a baby. i thought maybe having that stupid IUD messed everything up. and now i'm worried. any thoughts. help please!
It seems to me that the doctors really push these IUD's but dont tell the long lasting effects.  I dont know if it is the hormones in these IUD's that make you, me, (and it sounds like a lot of other people) have pregnancy types of symptoms. but if you for sure had your period on 1/5...1/23 would probably be too early to get a positive result anyways?! so maybe test again on the 5th?? or closer to then...that could be your answer. You most definately are not the only one who is worried. I think we are in the same boat!! I called my dr. and he said that if I havent had a period by 2/1...to call him and have some labs drawn (pregnancy test, prolactin and TSH)...so maybe you should do the same? when did u have your IUD removed??
I had my IUD taken out January 11th. I just finally stopped bleeding so I am wondering if it was my period or just implantation bleeding. then people started saying miscarriage, but i have not passed any clots. so who knows. i plan to take a test around the 1st and see from there. But going to keep ttc. Lots of baby dust to you. I know that having this IUD has messed up alot and it's frustrating. But I know we will get a positive result soon enough and I can't wait. Keep me informed on whats happening.
had my mirena removed on 1/7/08 and started bleeding like a light period on 1/9/08 continued for about three days which would be an average period for me.I continued with normal periods for about 1-1 1/2 years after mirena placement then stopped except for spotting sometimes around the time of my period i had the mirena 3 years do you think the bleeding on 1/9/07 was a period?
Were you due to have a period on the 9th?
I had my IUD removed on 12/19 with some bleeding and clotting a couple of days afterwards- and I had already had a period 12/10- so idk if it was a period for you or just the implantation bleeding. Now I still havent had a period since that bleeding after my IUD removal!!! and i continue to get negative HPT's. its frusterating! I really wish the doctors would say more about the removal to us...when they are put in!!!
i really am not sure if i was due my period or not since i really did'nt have one while the iud was in i kinda lost track so now i am just confused.i wpuld love to know if it was a normal cycle it seemed like one cause i do have a very short and light period.it is driving me crazy
I went in to see my OB/GYN today because I'm not feeling so great- pregnacy test was negative- but he did put me on something so that I will at least get a regular period. But they say that sometimes the first period after being on this medication can be pretty bad-but if i want to get pregnant-  i best be getting a period! I know you can get PG without a period- but i think that i'd physically feel better! I'll keep you posted
yes keep me posted and i will let u know what happens with me,,,if i ever do get back to normal...lol
my sister had her mirena removed in 7/07. she got pregnant and had a miscarriage in 8/07. she had a dnc on 8/11. a couple of weeks later she arrived at my house soaked from waist to floor in blood and still gushing. I rushed her to the hospital and to our shock she was pregnant and losing the baby AGAIN!!!! before she had the mirena she and her husband had five children with no complications. all 5 of her children are so healthy. she lost so much blood that we thought she would need a transfusion.she also now has an ovarian cyst. she and her husband want another baby so bad,but I worry about what might happen if she loses another one. i strongly believe that the mirena caused this,and the doctors cant find any other reason. i strongly urge you to wait quite a while after having it removed before trying to concieve (conceive). her expierience has been undescribally horrible. i dont want to scare any of you just want you to be careful.
Update on my IUD story,
Well as I said up above I had my IUD out on November 26th,2007. Then I had a heavy two day period November 28th. I had no period for 54 days and took several PG tests all negitive. Well finally period started again Jan. 17th. Unfortunately it lasted until Jan.30th. I was getting really nervous but now it has stopped. I was heavy somedays and light others and kept switching. Has anyone else ever experienced this? We are trying to conceive and hope I can get back to normal?  Anyone else have this???  Thanks.
It's amazing to hear your stories.  I'm both comforted and saddened because we are all in the same boat.  I had my IUD taken out July11, 2007.  My DH and I decided to wait before ttc (he said he wanted to make sure I was okay-sweet huh:) So we waited a month  my period was light and lasted for a short length of time-but was on time.  Ever since then I had irregular period.  THey would come a day late or three days early. At one time my period come one same way as previous ly mentioned...but on what was supposed to be the last...I had this gush of blood come out of me and major clotting as if I was staring my period again...The strange thing about it is after that day it just stopped ( I went to the dr. that day and she says that Iwas not Preg and order ultrasound and the lady say the my endo metrium lining is thick ( whatever that means) .  No one wanted to tell me what the situation was until  this day I still don't know (could I have miscarried)  

Just this part month I thought I was pregnant my period was delayed 5 days (felt like I had unusual flutters/twitches in my lower abdomen)took a  preg test BFN a day later brown discharge which is not unusual the next day very painful cramps and clotting like crazy.  MY period starts on the day it was suppose to ends.  This does not make sense.   Could I be pregnant? I still have pains.(back pain too) But these pains are not menstrual cramps but more of a muscle cramp that travels down my leg from my lower abdomen (ovaries area)  I'm afraid to call my dr. I feel like I'm being a pain calling about delayed periods etc...What should I do?  HOw can you figure out when your ovulating when you have irregular period ? Have I scared my self of ever getting preg again?  My husband wants to have a another child and my little brother ...so much pressure!
sorry... little typo at the end of that email form me (bermygirl) it's supposed to say my daughter(6yrs old) wanted to have a little brother.
I had my Mirena IUD out on February 6th, and am ttc.  My doc said since it had only been in for 9 months, that there shouldn't be any problems with trying right away.  My last period started on February 1st, and I normally have 28 day cycles.  This will be my first baby.. and I am 35 years old.  Hoping for the best.. and I have no idea what to expect.  My hubby and I are on the sex train this week, as I should be ovulating.. probably on Valentines day.  Sweet huh?  Anyhow.. Good luck to all.. and Me too!!!
I had a IUD put in August 2004. Had it taken out in May 2007. Got pregnant with no problems on the pull out method. Miscarried the baby. Went and had my IUD put back in October 2007, and had removed Jan 2008. I have been trying to get pregnant since I had it removed but nothing. The stupid thing made me always have a period that is why I took it out the 2nd time. When I had the first one in I had period that were heavy and with clots. It was horrible. The IUD messes everything up. I wouldn't recomment it to anyone. I mean it kept me from getting pregnant for almost 3 years and then the 2nd time for 4months, but the constant periods. I was pretty much regular before, but the IUD I believe made my period irregular. I always had a 29 day cycle. But with and without the IUD now it seems like I can never tell when I am suppose to get it. I am wondering if this last time I had it in is going to make it harder to conceive. Ugh. I hate it.
Baby Dust tooooo all. :)
Did you have have the copper coil IUD?  Or the Mirena IUD?  They are both really good at keeping you from getting pregnant, but the copper coil makes your period longer and heavier, with heavier cramping too.  The Mirena, on the other hand, makes your period pretty friendly to non-existant.  

I had the Mirena, and LOVED it.  Super light periods.. totally regular cycle every month, and no more PMS.  It was great.  Now I'm ttc.. but what I've read here.. everyone is different and will conceive at different times just the same as if we had never been on any kind of birth control.  

Good luck.. It's only been one month for ya.... It's still so early!  A lot of women have to try for months to get pregnant.. IUD or no IUD.. so I'm sure it has nothing to do with it.

Thanks for the baby dust!  =)
Well we all have similar or close stories. I hope in the next year we all are able to get our wishes.  Thinking of all and wishing everyone luck at ttc.   Keep us posted.  : )
I had the Mirena, both times. And I mean I constantly had a period. And it was ridiculous. I mean no sex sometimes b/c it was just way tooo heavy. I took it out. So we'll see what happens. Wish everyone lots of baby dust.
wow.. that would make me go get it removed too!  How ridiculous.  

Well, best of luck in ttc... and let us know when it happens!!  =)
I have a similiar yet different situation. I have had my IUD since 2004, so approximatly 4 years. I had an irregular period in January. It should have have started on Jan 8 and lasted until Jan 13. Instead it started on Jan 8, ended on the 10, didn't have anything on the 11, and then heavy bleeding on the 12. Then nothing until January 25, when I started cramping and spotting slightly. They told me in the ER that I had a PID, which I didn't, and said they had to pull my IUD. My husband and I were sexually active that morning, and I'm worried that I might be pregnant. I would only be 3 weeks along, but I should have started my usual cycle on February 6, and it is now the 15, and nothing. I'm actually pretty stressed considering the fact  that I am only 24 (barely), I already have a 7 year old with Hemiplegic Infantile Cerebral Palsy, and  a 4 year old. Plus I am going to college right now to open my own daycare with children with disabilities. That was the whole reason of having an IUD. I tried to get in to take a blood test today, but no where had an availiable appt. I just want to know if there is a possibility that I got pregnant because of them pulling the IUD while there was semen still in there? I know semen can live for 5 days, but I would like to hear what anyone else thinks.
I was told by my doctor when I had my IUD out that if we had had sex in the last five days or in the next two week that it could result in a pregnancy. She said though that if I started Birth Control right away and used protection for the next two weeks that I would be very unlikely to become pregnant.  But since we have considered having another child we didn't take either suggetion.  Your periods are very similar however to alot of us after having the IUD taken out. I took multiple PG tests and all were negetive. But this may not match your situation. But after three months I still have not had a single period that followed any normal pattern.   I hope the best for you. Keep us posted.   wishing the best for you!!!!!!
I had my IUD removed in April 07 and it took us until January 08 to get pregnant.  Then I miscarried  at 6 weeks.  I think that all my problems have to do with the IUD.  I never had problems before I had it.  I have to kids that were conceived after only one try.  I had the IUD in for 4 years.  I just wish the doctors would give you all the information before pushing it as a great form of birth control.
So I woke up this morning with horrible abdominal pain. I have been having slight abdominal pain since the 14, so I called my doctors office. They closed at noon today, and my appointment was at 10:45 am. They didn't take me back until 11:15 am, and the doctor didn't come in until 11:30 am. I told her what was experiencing, the loss of appetite, vomiting, pain in my abdomen that slowly creeped down the right side to my hip bone. She said she thinks that I have gastritis. Without doing blood work, ultrasound, or pelvic exam. She was really rushing me out. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and look up my symptoms on the internet. The results that I came up with were appendicitis! We still don't know if I'm pregnant, because I still haven't started, (the doctor did say that my normal cycle should not have been affected due to the removal of the IUD)  and I'm really scared of what is going to happen.  Has anyone had this similiar experience?
Wow........... That sound really scary. I hope you get better. I really am loosing faith in most doctors. It seams like they want you to come in(and get office visit money) only to say little to nothing and rush you back out so the next money source can have their 5 minutes if they are lucky. You spend more time alone it the room and with the nurse then the doctor you pay to see.   Well, get better and keep us posted.
I had an IUD inserted WAY back in 2000 right after I had my daughter. I just had it removed on Feb 8th with minimal spotting immediately upon removal. The spotting only lasted a day or two, then disappeared completely-as my doctor said it would. We are now ttc, and just hoping for the best. I have to agree with those of you who have said that it all depends on each individual person. One person may have many complications, while another may have none at all. Lifestyle, Genes, and particular curcumstances play huge roles in each person's case. Hang in there and take good care of yourself, and if it's meant to be, it will be... It's all in the Lord's hands....  =)
I would say that Pregnancy is a good possibility for you, considering the things/circumstances you mention above. Of course, I'm not a doctor though, and there's only one way of knowing for sure, and that is to see your doctor asap. After the 4th week of having no period(ammenorhia), you might go ahead and take a HPT for your own personal piece of mind. Hope this helps and Good Luck to you and yours...
Well, I had blood work done, (again) and then they tested me for gastritis, appendacitis, and pregnancy. The nurse called me and said all my tests were normal. I asked her what she meant, that the gastritis, appendacitis, and pregnancy test...and she asked me what the last one was. I told her pregnancy. She said yes all were normal. So I didn't trust it and called back the next day and asked for a copy of my lab results. The ones from the 19, as well as the 1 of February. I picked them up this morning and I don't know how to read them so I emailed them to my mom, who is a nurse, and asked her to read them to me. Everything was fine on the 1st, but the results from the 19th, were as follows; ANIONGAP 9, normal is 12-20; BUN 8, normal is 10-26; ALK PHOS 58, normal 60-160; LILPASE 21, normal is 25-130, and they never did a HCG QUANT, which is a pregnancy test!! And the other things that aren't normal can be early signs of pregnancy, so they lied to me. Anyways I've been calling the doctors office all day and they don't have anyone avaliable to talk to, so at 2:30 when my husband gets off, I'm going to go down to my doctor office and sit in the waiting room until they get a nurse out in that waiting room to talk to me. It is ridiculous. What is going on with these doctors today?
Well, that certainly is not good news. I still feel they don't listen very well when you tell them what is wrong and going on. It's like the heard it all that day and just hear us going  yada,yada,yada......    Then mark the chart for some basic tests.   Well I hope everything turns out ok with you and you don't have to sit very long. I will be watching the posting so please let me know.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.   ;)    !!!!!!!!!
Hi. I just read your update about the lack of attention you seem to NOT be getting from your doctor's office-so sorry about that! Gee, WHAT IS wrong with those people these days? It seems as if they're just too busy for their own patients, which is sad for those of us who really need answers in delicate, scary, and confusing times like these. I hope you're able to get someone to sit down with you to answer your questions for you. If not, you might consider going to another/new doctor??? Update for me: Aunt Flow came yesterday, which is sort of a relief. I hear it's good to go through atleast one period before ttc, after iud removal. So, I guess you could say I'm on track now... Good Luck to you, and don't let up. They'll have to answer sooner or later. Hang in there.... =)
Can anyone tell me?  
I normally have mild cramping just a few days before I start my period.  It's a good indicator (usually) of when to expect it.  I've read somewhere that while you are pregnant, you may still feel that cramping every month for your period, even though you don't bleed.  Has anyone who has been preg before experienced this?  

I felt cramps this morning.  Under normal circumstances, I'd expect my period by Friday or Saturday.  But I'm wondering if it's possible to feel that, and still be pregnant?
I do know of some women (not typical) to have a period even 3 months into their pregnancies.  I allways had slight cramping befor my periods and still had the cramping the 1st trimester.  So to answer your question yes it is possible but does not mean that you are.  The best way to find out is say by sun or monday the week after you are to expect your period you still have not got it then i would take a HPT. But make sure you do it first thing in the morning ( you know when you wake up and have to go) that is truly the best time to take it.  I hope that this has helped.
I exerienced cramping with my pregnancies.  It was also my indicator that my cycle was on its way.  I learned of my pregnancies early on but the cramping made me believe my cycle was coming.  I hope this information is helpful.
Thank you, both of you..  

The cramping felt like it normally does... and today I had another kind of side cramp.. inside and maybe like by my ovaries?  .. not quite like period cramps.  

Anyway, I have the HPT here and waiting... and I am planning to wait until Wednesday to take it... if the period doesn't come.  

If it does?   Then it does!  We'll try again in a couple weeks!  =0)
Just a quick note on your question.  The first time I was pregnant I had really bad side cramps for two months. It was so bad I finally went to the ER. They did every kind of test there was and finally the doctor said did you ever take a Preg. Test?  No I didn't. So 10 minutes later I found out I was having my son.  LOL  600 dollars later!!!! (HPT $12.00) hehehe.    Anyways this lasted about two and a half months and the doctor said it was not unusual for some women but was not sure the cause.   I hope all goes well for you.
Wow!  That's pretty crazy news if you weren't expecting it huh?  
I haven't had any cramps at all today..what I have been experiencing is dizzyness.  It started at about 4pm.. and has just come and gone several times the entire evening.  I haven't researched it yet to see if that's something that some preg women have.... but am about to right now.

Yeah, it'll be exciting if I actually am.  I'll be scared too!

So, I've found that I have the "menstrual cramps" early in the morning, while I'm still laying down and just waking up from sleep.  Well, at least this morning is the 2nd time I've felt it.  The first time was Wednesday morning.  

Still, no period.  I'm almost always day 28.. and today is day 30.  

No more dizziness either.  

I told my husband yesterday that I still haven't got my period... Now he's all anxious.  lol  I'm still waiting until Wednesday to take the HPT... IF AF doesn't show.  =0)
I had my merina iud removed jan 31 2008 because of cysts. My husband and I had sex the night before it was surgically removed. I had a period or what seemed to be a period for about 5-7days. I started yaz birth control the day the iud was removed. We waited two weeks had sex and now I am worried because I haven't had a period yet. If i go by birth control pills I would be 7 days late.I took a preggo test and it was negative. I keep cramping and getting the feeling that I am going to start but nothing has happened yet. Is it possible to be preggo? Oh, and my doc suggested I not start the new pack until he sees me on wed march 5th so i am already a week or almost a week behind in starting the new pack. And we have also had sex twice during this time.I am 26 with a newly 2yr old daughter. Want to try for a boy later.
It sounds like you followed all the directions they give you when you get an IUD out. So chance are unlikely that you would be pregnant. It is not unusual to be late or skip a period after having the IUD out and changing to a different kind of BC.  Your system has a lot to adjust to.  I had my IUD out and then three days later I had a short period. Then I went 54 days without having one. Now I have had one for 9 days. My doctor said my system is just getting used to all the hormonal changes.   So you just never know. I hope it all works out for you.  Keep us posted
Maybe you are having muscle spasm instead of a cramp??     Keep us posted.      Don't get the hubby to nervous. LOL.  Good Luck!!
He's not really nervous.. Just excited for me to actually find out.  He hopes I am.  I keeps saying "I hope you are preg.. that would be great!"  =)  lol

I wonder.. maybe I should just take a test and see.. Maybe... I would just feel really dumb if I were to take the test.. and get a negative result.. and then start my period 2 hours later.  Arg!!  That would really suck.  

Still nothing though... What I do know is that I am 2 days late.  Not much.. and yet, not normal for me.  

I'll definitely keep you posted!
I had been on depo for about two years and then had a mirena IUD inserted April 2003, it expires April 2008 and I have already made an appointment to get a new one. After reading all of this I don't know if I should. I have not had a period since I started depo, which was seven years ago and now my husband and I have been talking about trying to get pregnant within 1-2 years.... but I'm worried that maybe I can't.... Is is normal to not have a period for that long? My doctors all know about it and don't seem alarmed, but who really knows??
I wanted to find out if anyone has had a similar experience with the Mirena IUD:
I have had it since right after my daughter's birth...In June 2004 and never had another period since...(it was great..no periods, no pain, no worries!)  
I had it removed March 4, 2008 in hopes of getting pregnant soon.
Unlike some of the other postings I had no bleeding during the extraction of the iud and as of today no bleeding whatsoever...(my ob/gyn even commented that she had never seen anyone not bleed at all when it was removed...she made it seem like was a good thing?). Can I get pregnant without a period for almost 4 years?
I'm a bit scared of a miscarriage after reading some of the postings...
Any advice on how to get my cycle going...or anyone that has been able to get pregnant after not having a period for so long??
Many Blessings........
Hi all!!! I had my mirena IUD removed on Feb. 2nd after having it in for 3 1/2 years. I had a period (or whatever it was) on Feb. 3rd for about 4-5 days. Previously before that, I had a period on Jan. 21st, so I'm not really sure if the previously mentioned period was an actual period or just from the IUD removal. The period from the IUD removal was an actual period- bright red blood and normal to heavy flow. My "normal" periods with the IUD in were really just spotty periods that lasted like 4 days or so. I took a pregnancy test today, and it was negative. My boobs are sore and feel fuller, and I have not had any sort of period since Feb. 3rd. My boobs are never sore before my regular periods. So as of today, it has been 34 days since my last period. Has anyone had any symptoms like mine and still been pregnant? Just a tid bit of info... When I was pregnant with my son, I was on bc, and I spotted for 2 months straight. Then, I went to the doctor bc of that reason, and my pregnancy test was negative there. Then, I didn't have a period for 2 months. So, I went back to the doc and found out I was 15 weeks and 4 days with child. I was thinking that maybe the HCG hormone might not be prevalent in my body in the very beginning, but not sure. Also, throughout my pregnancy (pretty much the entire time) I would bleed randomly, and it was bright red blood too. But baby was fine and healthy the entire time, so it really didn't cause any problems in my pregnancy. Any advice would be helpful!!! :)
Hi, I just read your posts.  I hope you are both doing ok.  Your situations sound just like all of us that have posted above. So I wish you both luck.  A few of your questions have been answered in earlier posts.   Let us know how you are doing.   Take  Care.
I had the IUD removed on January 28,2008, got heavy bleeding 2 days later, with lower back pain, mucus, and a lot of clots; it only lasted the 31th and Feb.1 and it stoped. I still don't get my period, i have taken 2 pregnancy test-they come out negative. I feel very tired for about 3 weeks now. When would i start getting my period?
I had my IUD removed in November and had many days of heavy bleeding but then no period for 2 months- After many negative hpt's, i decided to go to my OB/GYN who put me on medications to get my period- That first period was hell, but after that i got regular again- I'm still not pregnant- but atleast my cycle is back on track. I'll keep you posted
Good luck to all ttc.
I had my IUD removed March 17 after having it for 1 1/2 years after my daughter was born.  I was having spotting all the time, so I never had a regular period and had really bad pains. The doctor put me on BC pills, and told me to start Sunday. I started them that day.  Well today my boyfriend and i was in the moment and forgot to use a condom.  I know the doctor told me that I can pregnant right away.  But i wanted to know is it really possible to get pregnant right away? Also when  should  I expect my period to regulate.
Hi, I just wanted to know if my period will be lighter due to the removal of my coil (Copper non-hormonal one) I had it removed on Wed18th March! My period was due and I am spotting but its not quite established! This is what im concerned about, Are periods usually lighter or heavier, I was quite cool with th coil and had regualr periods (Every 28 days), I had it removed as me and my husband are trying for our 2nd! Please help, I know everyone is different but its nice to have some guidance!
Hey i just found out that I am 8 weeks pregnant. The 3rd pregnancy test came out positive, so now i know what's wrong with me. My last period was on January when they removed the IUD.
I'm wondering if anyone has had a situation like mine, although I see a lot of the above to be similar. I had a healthy pregnancy in 2004, a miscarriage in 2005 and had the IUD put in immediately after. My periods stopped about 3 months after it was inserted and I had it for nearly 2 years. I ended up contracting pelvic inflamatory disease as an infection from my IUD and had to have it immediately removed February 19th. I had a fairly normal period 2 weeks later and took the pill for 5 days. After much discussion my husband and I decided we really wanted to have another baby, so I ditched the pill and we began trying. Like 5 days later I had just a tiny bit of spotting (pink) and I was HOPING it was inplantation (implantation) bleeding. I took the ovulation tests and there were two lines but the second one was very light. We've been trying everyday during what I assume was my peak ovulation, and since I've been EXHAUSETD and starving, and even moodier than normal, ha. Does anybody know if those 6 days of the pill would effect conception? Also I'm not sure if the light line on the ovulation test means anything either. We are really hoping everythings fine and we are pregnant with #2! Any comments would be great, th anks!
Congrat!!!!!!!!   I hope all goes well for you.
I'm not really sure if six days would effect you. It is the same hormones your body would have been making anyways.  The light line on the ovulation test means you are close or just past ovulation. When the two lines match or the 2nd line is darker means you are right on the ovulation dates. So you could have been one either side.   They say on the test that about  15 days after a HPT should come out accurate with a positive or negitive after your ovulation date.  Well I hope it all goes well for you!   Keep us posted.   I'm still TTC since having my IUD out Nov. 26th.   Take care,
hi i just had my 04/01/08. i had it in for 2years. My fiance and i are planning to have a baby. I am a bid worried because his former girlfriend did not get pregnant for him even though they were together for 11years. Should i just wait and see what happens or get him to go to the doc.
Well it looks like my sympoms did mean something, and the IUD removal didn't have much of an effect on me. I've had 2 POSITIVE hpt's today:) I beleive I'm about 4 weeks along, but will find out for sure when I have my doctors appointment. I'm very excited! Thanks for your advice!
Congrats and good luck.
I'm going on 1 1/2 yrs. now and getting beyond frustrated. I've done the 6 mnth of clomid and nothing happened. Fixin to go back to dr. and do some more testing. I never new it could be this hard to conceive after having 2 children and not having any trouble conceiving with them. I am really starting to wonder if it was the iud even tho my dr says that its not.
I think I'm the only one to say.. I haven't had my IUD removed.. yet. After reading just about every post here (took an hour!) I plan to remove it. Possibly as early as next month so I can get my yearly pap done, as well as change acne Rxs to a safe alternative, and get the go ahead. I plan to use condoms or w/e as a means of BC until my 1st period due to the horror stories of ECs and miscarriages =< I've read. I'm planning on making my check up appt. for next Tuesday. In retrospect - for those of you who have had trouble - does this sound ideal?
btw I'm 23, a mother of 2 boys, ages 3 and 4 (less than a year apart), a devoted wife of almost 5 years, and DESPERATELY wanting another little guy (or girl!), but not so much as to ignore possibly ideal  precautions.
I'm also worried about the many comments of it taking sooooo long to become PG! How seriously should I worry about this? I'd *prefer* to become pregnant by at least September (but that's up to the nature of my body) for certain reasons.
Feel free to comment! =D
If you are wanting to have another it seems for most of us that we have to get off BC or IUD's and that our systems need to regulate back into a normal pattern in order to conceive. So if you are trying for this year plan ahead a few months. Personally I had my IUD removed November 26, 2007. Then I went 54 days without a M. Cycle. Then I had two straight weeks of a very heavy period.  Now I'm just waiting to see what the next will be or to hopefully conceive.  But as you read there were a few who were able to become pregnant right away, but it seems like not most are able to. It seems to take a couple of months. So, I hope everything works out for you.  Keep us posted.  Take care.
I had my Mirena IUD removed last week. Before it was done I asked the doctor "a friend told me it could take up to a year to become pregnant again after the removal, is that true?" She said that some do take that long to return to normal but the majority of women are able to get pregnant right away. During my recent research this week, I found out that it is best to wait at least one cycle before trying to conceive due to the thin lining created by the hormones in the IUD.

On a lighter , more positive note, someone told me tonight that there is an herbal supplement that will help to regulate your periods. You can get it at GNC, Supersupplements... just about anywhere you can buy vitamins and minerals. The supplement is called Vitex. If this is helpful let me, know.
It seems to be easier to get preg after the Mirena than the copper... I had a copper IUD placed in 2002 after the birth of my son, who is now 5 and will be 6 this year. I had it taken out 9/10/07. My husband and I have been trying to concieve (conceive) since then, but no luck. My period came on during its reg time back in Sept. But since Oct my periods have been irregular coming on every 38-44 days. While on the IUD, my cycles were every 28-29 days and I had alot of breakthrough bleeding (dark brownish bleeding) in between my periods. It's been 7 mths.So I feel some of your concerns. But I just continue to pray every night and I will add you all to my prayers. Best Wishes:)
Hi, I am new to this website. I had a copper IUD in for seven years. I had it removed on Mar20 andmy cycle came Apr1 just as normal.  Today is the 27 and I have been cramping and my nipples are really sore. According to my calendar, I am due for my cycle on the 28.  I really am hoping I am pregnant. I have 2 boys now and I am wishing for a girl. My breast are usally sore before my cycle but never my nipples. Do you think I could be pregnant.
I had my IUD removed in November. I really didnt have a period until the end of January when my OB/GYN gave me medications to get a period.  Once I got my period it was normal until yesterday...it didnt show. So I took a test...and I'm pregnant! So there is hope for us all! Good luck to all ttc!
Thank you for responding to my post. Sorry it took so long to get back on the site. We were pregnant and then lost the baby. It was very early and we really didn't know. I am having normal cycles now but my husband and i are hoping to miss this one. We really want to give our 2 1/2 year old daughter a little brother or what ever God chooses to bless us with.
Congrats!!!!!!!!  I am so happy for you. Hope all goes well in your pregnancy.  Take care.
Hi, I hope you get your wish soon. Sorry to hear you had some trouble. It's hard to get news like that. I hope all will get better for you.  Take care and don't forget to rest!!!!!!!!!1
I have heard a ton of similar cases as this, but there arent any answers.....I had my mirena iud removed on Feb. 26th.  Two days later, I had a normal period and when it was gone, my husband and I started trying for a baby.  It is now May 4th and still no period.  I have taken numerous pregnancy tests and they all come back NEGATIVE.  I have many pregnancy symptoms much like my first.  I swear Im even starting to show now but my doctor says to wait.  Please, any info on this would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.
I had the same as you. After a light period I went 54 days with no period. I really felt like I was pregnant. But alas I was not.  My doctor told me this month that I should go on the pill for a month or two to get my cycle regulated since it is all out of wack. I am leary of doing that.  The doctor also suggested ovulation test at home to make sure I am ovulating so I am doing that first.  I have had three very very heavy periods after that 54 day lapse. So like you I am still just waiting and trying. Keep us posted.  Take care. (I had my Mirena take out Nov. 26th, 2007)
Thank you so much for the info.  There is a few things I dont understand, however.  My doctor actually told me to take an ovulation test too.  The only thing is, if im pregnant, im obviously not ovulating and if I dont have my period im not ovulating.  So, I wish they would either do a blood test or just give me the pill to re-start my period.  A few other pregnancy symptoms I have are that im EXHAUSTED, I have a small amount of milk in my breast, tender breasts, cramps and thats most of them.  There is another woman I know that after she got her IUD out, she had the same stuff going on but couldnt even find out until she was about 3 1/2 months along.  I guess what Im trying to ask is if Im definately not pregnant (negative result on the HPT), or if there really still is a chance. I know you cant know for certain, but i would like as much info or opinions as possible until I find out.  Thanks again for everyone listening.
Just from reading other peoples post, they have had negative tests and were really pregnant.  My mom was told she had a thyroid problem and they were going to put her on drugs for it.  Turned out she was pregnant. That was years ago but sometimes when they give you the test your pg. hormone level is still too low to register. So there is still a good chance you could be. I know several people who did actually conceive the week they had their IUD's taken out.  So I would really push to have them do the blood pregnancy test. It is way more accurate then the Home PT's.  Hoping the best for you. Keep us posted.
I am excited for you girls that are having luck and getting pregnant. For me no such luck. Got the copper IUD out on Feb. 12 and I have had 3 normal periods since then. A little shorted then they were with the IUD but that nice. I went from a 6 day cycle to a 3 day cycle. Does anyone think that is why I'm having problems getting pregnant? I tried the ovulation strips this month. I was using them after lunch everyday. 1 line Wed. SO NO. 2 lines Thur. but one was too light. SO NO. But Friday I had 2 Dark lines of the same color so I think Friday was my day. I hope. I didnt take a test Sat because I figured I didn't need to. I knew what to do that weekend.(and I forgot the strips at work.lol) Think I have a shot this month? I really hope we are pregnant. Did anyone try the ovulation strips and have success. I had a friend who did and she got pregnant the first month using them. But the difference was she didn't have an IUD.
Im a bit confused!!! I had mu IUD removed back in March 08 and then after got my period earlier than expected. Ive always gotten my periods at the end of the month, but after removal i got it around 2nd week of the month. That was for April. Now May I have not gotten my period. if I go by my last period which was around the 15th, I late. ut dont know if I should go by my regular routine cycle which is end of the month around 22nd. Im I reallly late?????
I have no idea. I would say take a test and see what it says. If neg. I would probably start keeping closer track of your cycle for a while. prob trying to regulate itself. I heard a few woman say the doc told them to get on the pill to regulate it for a while. BUT if your TTC I would say give it a few months and maybe it will regulate. I'm prob the wrong person to answer. I have a 30 day cycle and the following month I have a 34 day cycle. It's like clock work. This month it should be 34 and i started spotting at my 28 day. So I'lllet you know if I start sometime today. Maybe my cycle is changing. I got my IUD out in Feb. and had a period on time a week later.. Good Luck. Let me know what happens.
Like a lot of you guys, I had my IUD(copper) removed March 20 08. I had it in for 7 years now decided I wanted to try for a girl. Well today I have 3 pos. test. So yes you can get pregnant after removal and it doesnt matter how long you have it in. I thank God for the blessing and pray that I have a sucessfull pregnancy.  So for you guys that are trying, don't give up hope.
my marenia iud come ouy on its own, on my birthday may 23, 08 and it has almost been 2 weeks still no period. i had it in for close to 5 yrs and never really had period other than pinkish tint sometimes.just wondering like the rest of what do you think? should i take HPT now or wait or is my body just getting back to normal first from the iud? any advice is good.. thanks.
I had my IUD removed May 29th, my last period started May 27th. I have a <4 week cycle, but today is the 4 week mark and no period. We still used condoms so I don't think I would be pregnant. How long should I wait before calling a doctor or taking a test about the missed period?
Elizabeth
Well...my period started, no worries just a day later than a normal period (28 days) but a few days later than my personal "normal period" which is a 24 day cycle or so. Just thought I should send an update
I had my Mirena removed on Monday becasue I have been having pain in my stomach and pain during sex.  Doctor couldn't find anything that could be wrong and told me that I might have been ovulating or maybe that he was hitting the IUD?   (Had it in since Oct. 2006) Tuesday we had sex, pull out method, but I started bleeding during. Had no pain though!  Yesterday I started bleeding very heavily and today I am seeing clots and am going thru a tampon every two hours. I have called the doctor and am waiting on a call back. I am getting married in August and don't want to get preg til then. My question is does anyone have any idea of what might be goin on? Is this my period? (The doctor told me it would be three months before it returned...) How do I know if it's a period or if something is wrong? Havent hurt since I had it taken out...and i would bleed sometimes during sex with it in...  Oh and my mom says I shouldn't be wearing a tampon, but I am too afraid not to because I am at work and live 30 miles away... Does anyone have any ideas or similar situations?  Please advise!  
Update:  I was pregnant and was having a miscarriage. I am fine now. Just thought someone might want to know.

I had my IUD taken out on the 28th may. By mid June i knew i was pregnant however 3 tests came up negative. On the 21st June it finally showed positive. We were pregnant! Unfortunately three days later we miscarried. fingers crossed it's just my body in the process of returning back to normal. It's hard going through such a change in emotions in a short period of time. I would recommend waiting a month before trying rather than celebrating only to be disappointed soon after.
I AM SO GLAD I READ ALL UR INFO. HERE IS MY PROBLEM, I HAD AN IUD FOR ABOUT  A YEAR MY LAST PERIOD WAS MAY25. HAD MY IUD REMOVED JUNE 4. MY DR SAID I COULD GET PREGNANT RIGHT AWAY. SO WE BEEN TRYING. IT IS NOW JULY 2 AND HAVE NOT HAD A PERIOD. TOOK A TEST THIS MORNING AND IT SAID NEGATIVE. I DO HAVE SOME SYMPTOMS THOUGH. I VE BEEN MORE TIRED, EXTRA HUNGRY, MORE BACK PAIN. WHAT SHOULD I DO? SHOULD I TAKE A BLOOD TEST. OR WAIT A COUPLE OF WEEKS?
Thanks to everyone for posting all your comments. Its good to know the range of symtoms (symptoms) out there. I thought I would post my story and also try and summarise what I know.

There are two types of coil (IUD), one with a hormone and one without. They behave very different and can effect you differently after they're taken out.

If you have had sex within 7 days BEFORE the IUD is removed you can get pregnant as the sperm can stay around. It is possible to get pregnant as soon as its removed also.

The IUD with hormone.. the hormones (like the contraceptive pill) can take up to 6 months to leave your system. You can get pregnant straight away or it might take longer because of this.

For most people it can take up to a year to get pregnant with trying and no contraception and that's normal. As you get older your chance of conceiving gets lower. At 35 you have half the chance of conceiving than in your early twenties. Age has recently been shown to affect men also. Even if you're young healthy and normal it can still take a year to get pregnant. This is normal. Doctors are unlikely to give fertility tests before you've been trying a year.

If you do want to get pregnant remember to keep taking folic acid from a month before you try, stay off the alcohol cigarettes and caffeine and get your man to also! Also check your rubella (german measles) immunity. Ask your nurse for a blood test. Even if you had the jab at school at 12/13 you still need to check and get a booster BEFORE you get pregnant.

My experience of the coil. I had a coil fitted which was relatively painless, a bit uncomfortable. It was the one without the hormone. I had a lot of very VERY heavy periods, excrutiating pain and pain when not on my period also. It was uncomfortable for the whole 6 months I had it in. I had the coil removed 2 months ago and it was fine to remove. No infections, nothing wrong.

A month later I had a very light period. Really only spotting for about a day and a half, very little at all.

A month after that I have my period now and it seems normal.

I think from the posts above it is normal for your periods to take a while to come back to normal when its removed. It is possible to get pregnant straight away but it would be better to wait until you're having a cycle normal for you. If you have any other symptoms go to your doctor and insist you're checked out. Dont know what doctors in the US are like but in the UK you really have to insist sometimes if you know something is wrong. Don't wait. You may get symptoms similar to pregnancy. This may be because you really want to get pregnant. It may be due to a cyst or ectopic pregnancy. You must get it checked out.

For any kind of medication, contraception or getting pregnant have a good look round on the internet. The NHS Direct website isn't bad but there is lots of information out there.. just takes a little bit of time to find.

Hope this wasn't patronising.. just wanted to point out some information all in one place. Please correct anything above that you know to be wrong.

M.
i had my iud removed during my period june 13 it is now july 21st 38 days later i still havnt gotten a period. ive taken several hpt and are all neg could i still be preg?
I am 35 and I had my Copper Head IUD removed July 17th 2008 and was pregnant by July 25th, 2008 I am now 6wks pregnant...so yeah getting pregnant can be just that quick due to the fact that there is no hormone with the copper head...Good Luck to those ready to add an addition to your family!
I had my IUD removed on July 25. My last period was July 4 and was very light as usual. It lasted a day or two then stopped. On July 8 it started back up again for a day or two. This morning I have been cramping and what do you know started bleeding. Much heavier than I am used to. It has since stopped, by reading the above post I have to assume this is normal.

My husband and I are trying to conceive so I hope things regulate soon.
has any body thought they might be pregnant while having th mirena still in or has any one got pregnant with it in
I thought I was pregnant with my second while on Mirena...  Here's my story as I know it so far.  I'm 23 now (husband is 30) with a 18mo old boy, I wasn't on any birth control for a year and a half before by son was made, got pregnant right away when we decided to try, after he was born I had a Mirena inserted at 8 weeks post, never had any periods while it was in - couple spots twice, but that's all.  For the last two months, however, I've been having pregnancy symptoms - cramps, head aches, nausea, sleepy, mood swings, weight gain, food cravings and adversions, etc.  Took two HPTs, both negative.  I just had my IUD removed Tuesday the 28th so that we could get on a regular schedule (hopefully) to try to have a girl concieved in October of this year. Last night I starting having a migrane (migraine) headache with nausea and back pain, continued today and now I'm bleeding with clots...  I'm guessing I'm not pregnant because of this, but I still feel that I was... Maybe this is a miscarriage (too soon to tell), but I did have 4-5 before my son was concieved, so it's possible.  I'm just hoping to get back on schedule and get pregnant in October...  But it's not 100% that you won't get pregnant ever - unless you don't have sex... IUDs, other birth control, breastfeeding, not having a period, etc... you can still get pregnant as long as there is an egg and sperm.  :)  I know this is probably obvious, but it's still true.  

Baby wishes to all who want them, health to everyone!
Oh, I was going to say, too, that a woman I used to work with had a Mirena put in after her first and went to have it pulled out to have her second, after two weeks she took a HPT and was positive, when she went in for the ultrasound to confirm how long into it she was, she was 6 weeks already - so she'd been pregnant for a month before the IUD was pulled out.  It can happen.  That baby boy is a happy, healthy 2 year old now and she just had her third - a girl.
thank you every one
I had my copper IUD removed on April 20th, 2008 after having it for about 2 1/2 years.  I then had a lighter than normal period the beginning of June 2008.  We didn't have sex much during the month of June and on July 5th I had a positive pregnancy test.  I didn't think it would happen so fast especially since we didn't have much sex the month we conceived.  I went to the doc two weeks later and my pregnancy was confirmed.  Around what would have been 7 weeks prego I had a really bad headache, some dull lower back pain and spotting.  The spotting got heavier and a few days later I went into the ER since I couldn't get an appointment with a clinic.  They did a blood test and the levels were where they should be for 7 weeks prego.  I then had an ultrasould and the tech asked if I had an IUD in.  I told her no, I had it removed in April and saw it when it came out.  She didn't say anything else.  The doc reviewed the ultrasound and the baby didn't have a heartbeat.  My worst fear was true, I was having a miscarriage.  I asked the doc why the tech wanted to know if I had an IUD in and he said he didn't know.  My first pregnancy was perfect and I have a wonderful 6 year old son.  I want to get prego again but am nervous that maybe the IUD messed up my uterus.  Has anyone had a miscarriage after getting an IUD taken out then a healthy pregnancy following???
I had my copper iud removed on July 9,2008. I have always been regular before and with the iud. I have not yet had a period and I have taken many hpt's, all were neg except for the second one which had a faint pink line showing positive, but the last two say negative.....Could it take awhile for my period to return or could I actually be pregnant and it just may take awhile for the hormone to be detected? My husband and I have had unprotected sex numerous times and I am wondering did the iud cause me to be infertile because i have not even spotted not even when the iud was removed.  My last period was on June 11,2008. Can anyne please give me some advice
If it showed positive, even the faintest line, i would think you may be pregnant.  After I had my IUD removed, I got my period the next month.
I had my IUD put in 3 1/2 years ago.  I didn't have a period the entire time I had, maybe some spotting every now and then but that was it.  I had it removed on July 11, 2008 and I have not had a period yet.  I did have a little spotting after sex once.  I have take 3 HPT test, all negative.  Can i be pregnant and it just not registering on the test due to the IUD?  Any kind of certain test I should take, like a digital one?  Why have I still not had a period yet?  Any ideas would help!!!
I had my mirena iud removed on july 28, 2008. I still have not gotten a peroid. How long should it take for me to get my period? Is this normal?
I had my mirena iud removed August 1st, 2008 I had in put in 8 weeks after I had my daughter in 07. I never had a period while I was on the mirena until July 13th, 08. I got my period for a week that was the last time now I don't have my iud and I have not gotten my period I took 4 hpt and they are negative. Not to sure how long after iud is removed will my period return. My hubby and I are really trying to concieve (conceive) we have our lil girl we are really trying for the boy! Anyone have any answers
sounds like you are going through the same thing. I think it could be our hormones are just out of wack from the mirena. My friend is a doctor and she said come in if i havent had my period for 3 month after my iud removal.
after i got my mirena taken out i started my period two days afterward
My husband and i want to have a baby, i have had a copper iud for 4 years. first day of my last period was aug 30, had the iud removed sept 9. the thing is we had intercourse the morning b4 i had the iud removed and i was reading somewhere that sperm can "live" for 3 days in the uterus, and the plan was for us to try to conceive immediatly after removal of the iud as i am fertile, but the doctor told me to wait at least one cycle to try to conceive as the fetus will not like the disrupted uterus.  Could conception have occured right after she took the iud out?? and what will happen if it did? will i have an ectopic pregancy? will i miscarry? any thoughts would really help.  thanks
I had the Mirena put in Dec 02 and just had it removed Sept. 9th. Yes, I know I had it taken out late. My LMP started on Sept. 2nd and lasted 4 days. I am hoping to conceive within the next 6 months. Has anyone been able to concieve (conceive) right away or within a few months?
Well I finally went to the doctor today and the result is...........I'm indeed pregnant!!!!!!!!!!The HPT's were still showing neg, but the doctor confirmed the pregnancy that I suspected all along with a blood test and a sonogram.  So thanks to everyone for all of your support and help.
Congrats to you and your husband! How far along are you?
Hi everyone,
Here is an update on my story,
I had my IUD Meriana taken out Nov. 26, 2007. I had it in 1 1/2 years and had the depo provera shot for six years before that. I had cycles from 28-54 days inbetween AF and also had heavy cycles for up to 30 days. My system never regulated out to 28 days. It has been 9 months since having the IUD taken out. I have felt very tired and slightly nauseous so I took a HPT test a few different days. Two were negetive and one was so faint a line that I didn't think it was trustable. Took another test and showed negetive.  I went to the doctor today and they told me I am 5-6 weeks pregnant.  So I hope this helps some people. I really was getting discouraged and starting to wonder if something was wrong.  But it worked out all right except for having such irregular cycles.  Good Luck to all who are still trying.  Take care
I am now 10 weeks and We are both excited to be adding another person the family
I had my IUD taken out two months ago. No period since. I went to the ER and they did  a pregnancy test and said its negative. Is it normal not to get a period for a while? Please let me know Im so scared something is wrong,
I was wondering if anyone has had the same type of problems I'm having.  My last period was Feb 2006.  Yeah the nurse looked at me that way too, it was when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter.  She was born Nov 2006 and I had my IUD (meriana) put in shortly after that.  I was breastfeeding and didn't stop until she was 18 months old, about six months ago. I had the IUD taken out in July of this year (2008) and still haven't had a period.  I have taken HPT and even been tested twice at the doctors office once because they wanted to and this last time (yesterday) because she didn't want to give me my allergy medication with out it.  I know its only been three months, but I was expecting my period to come back, and it hasn't.  She told me it is normal for a woman to go up to a year after coming off BC before her periods start again.  I think she is crazy.  I know there is a test they can do to see if you are ovulating but she said there isn't.  She also said the only medication they can give me to start my periods is BC.  I want to get pregnant, why would I take BC!  I know sometimes it can jump start you, but I tried it once years ago and it didn't.  Can anyone give me hope?!
Thought I would update on my situation.

I had my Merina taken out after almost 6 years on Sept. 9th. I spotted afterwards for a few days. Had my first AF on Sept. 27th. Had a BFP today. My EDD should be July 4th!
Hi Everyone!!

I just got my IUD (Mirena) taken out on the 13th of this month. I got it placed in July of 06' after my second baby was born. The reasons I got it out is because I have a cyst on each ovary and I also want to conceive! I have been reading your comments and it appears everyone has different experiences. I never had a period on the IUD and didn't bleed like they said I might right after getting it taken out, but, I did bleed lightly for 3 days a week after. Not sure if that was my period but I am treating it like it and hope to conceive soon!! Good luck to all and I will let everyone know the outcome.
HELLO I'AM A MOTHER  12YR GIRL 4YR BOY 1 YR BOY I HAD MY COPPER IUD TAKEN OUT OCT,9 THE FIRST DAY OF MY LAST PERIOD WAS SEPT,28TH I FOUND OUT I WAS PREGNANT OCT, 30TH SOOO EXCITITED BUT THE LAST DAY OF PERIOD WAS OCT, 8TH SO REALLY HOW FAR ALONG AM I ?????????
My IUD was place in 4-2005, and taken out Oct 14, 2008. My OBGYN said the strings were flipped up inside my uterus and poked back out through the walls of it. OUCH! So we had no choice but to remove it. She sent us to a pelvic ultrasound to make sure everything is okay and we are still awaiting the results.

I immediately began taking the pill just in case and now I'm 5 days into the "period" pills with no period in sight, I'm not even cramping yet. My husband and I aren't against the idea of another baby since our daughter is 3 1/2, but it would've been nice to plan this time! I've taken 2 test and both are negative, which seems to be everyone else's outcome. I wonder if my period is late or just stopped by a pregnancy!?!?
Hello, I am new to this site but I wanted to share my Mirena experience.  I am 24 yrs old and I had the Merina inserted five years ago. I bled for the first month straight after the insertion.  But then my periods stopped altogether which was great!  I had it removed on October 15th as my husband and I are ttc.  I spotted for 3-4 days but I still have not resumed my periods.  I was anxious and took a preg. test a couple days ago and it was neg.  If still no period in a couple of weeks, I will take another and see what happens!  
i had my iud taken out on october 20th. my doctor told me to wait until i have had one period before trying to concieve (conceive) because it will make it easier for them to determin the due date... that was her only reason for that though. i decided that i didnt want to wait so we have been trying all month. i decided to take a pregnancy test once a week until i either get a period or get a possitive, this way it can help determin the due date, because usally it is about a month along when the hormones are strong enough. well, it has been almost a month since the removal and still i am not getting a possitive, even though i feel pregnant. i have 2 daughters now, one is 5 and the other will be 3 in a couple weeks, my second was concieved on the patch. i haven't had any periods while on the iud so i am not sure when i am ovulating or when i should expect a period but if i don't get a period or a possitive in the next week i am going to contact my doctor to see what the options are and what might be going on.
I got my IUD (Mirena) removed on 11/18/2008 and I spotted a little like the norm just as I did when it was inserted in 2006.  I havent had a normal period since before insertion in 2006.  I dont know if I am pregnant or not and I am afraid.  On 12/16/2008 it will be officially 4 weeks since removal of my IUD.  Any advice will be helpful. Im planning to buy a pregnancy test on Dec. 16 if my period still hasn't arrived yet.
i got my first period after removal on 11/28, which was 2 weeks more than a normal cycle and from what i read above alot of people it took an extra 2-4 weeks before getting their first period. i am now wondering if i am pregnant though because it is the 29th and still have not gotten a second period. i took a pg test on the 26th which would have been the start of a 28 day cycle and it was negative so i figured i am going to have a 30 day cycle, but still did not get it yesterday i am going to go get a pg test tonight for tomorrow morning. i really want to be pregnant... so badly that i am afraid to take the test because i might get disapointed if it is negative and then worried as well becuase i haven't gotten one... so hopefully all goes well and i am pregnant... update you tomorrow if i am.
Has anyone here had their IUD perforate their uterus? If so, is it ok to ttc or should we wait? I had my Mirena removed in Sept. and periods seem to be on a 31 day cycle. I really want another baby, but think that maybe we should wait because of the perforation. My doctor did not say anything about it.
Follow-up:
Well I was hoping I'd have some exciting news but such is not the case :( Here is what's new (hopefully I can get some feedback because the Drs. here are not taking me seriously)

So i have now been diagnosed with Secondary Infertility-from what? I don't know! Periods are still irregular and short,and painful...i've had HSG,hysteroscopy and D&C done last MAY ; results: Uterine Polyps and left fallopian tube blocked (how-don't know).  Had IUI -negative

Referred to another OBGYN (fertility specialist) -he made the diagnoses mentioned above. HOwever, no one can give me a reason why I'm constantly in pain on my lower left pelvic area. He did internal ultrasound and saw something (lesion) did SHG saw an unusual mass so did another hysteroscopy(NOV''08) saw nothing...but

Sharp stabbing pain still persist in lower left pelvic area. Very painful. Just yesterday (Jan5,2009) went to DR. for the pain; menstrual period is 3 days late and had pain .Had pelvic exam and very tender on left ovary.DR.said my left ovary felt slightly big so had a transvag ultrasound - but thought it was nothing gynecological causing the problem-didn't see anything. Had a beta HCG done (don't know results yet). Early morning felt a little burts on lower left pelvic area and i'm now bleeding and cramping The pain was so severe it had me in a fetal position period (if it is period was heavy and clotty),nauseous ...not sure if its, endometriosis, period, ovarian cyst ruptured, or ectopic preg (BTW home preg test both came back BFN. Called Dr. and no one has responded.Took Motrin and nothing seemed to help the pain.  I should have gone to the hospital. But I didn’t want to be a bother to anyone.   SOMEONE HELP ME UNDERSTAND ALL THIS! (Sorry it is so long  ) WHAT should I do? ↑   I am now 35 (Jan 1st and I know it is harder to deal with –getting pregnant and all)  Lord Be with me!

Follow-up( Jan 8 2009 6:30a.m.)-Yesterday-Jan 7, was in pain all night but was so exhausted that I still got moderate sleep.  Woke up and I was in fetal  and husband suggested taking Voltaren.  That helped tremendously..could still feel the pressure but pain subsided. Only discomfort in my lower back.  Later in the evening the pain was beginning to come back in my pelvic area (cramping across the pelvic area but more concentrated pain/discomfort one the left and on my left hip. My upper left leg is achy too( groin and thigh area)  Ended up going to emergency and the BHCG was Neg…Dr. felt the area and said she felt something and wondered if I had bowel prob.  I said seemed to be ok to me (although Just before Christmas, maybe a week before,  Anyway,  she seems to think that it might be an ovarian cyst-( could not do an ultrasound because of period) that had ruptured and also that I might consider to get checked for endometriosis . What’s interesting about the period is that it is almost none existent in comparison to yesterday. Meaning the pain is there but there is minimal bleeding on the pad…only changed once and tha’s because I got a shower ..Didn’t need to change otherwise.(?)  Lower back pain and lower left pelvic discomfort , cramping across my pelvic area is still there. I don’t know hwt to make of it but at least she was able to give me some answers.  She put me on some more Voltaren
Sorry I'm so Wordy:) Just wanted to give the Big Picture! HEP?!?!?!
just an update on me... last i thought i might be pregnant because my period hadn't come yet, well.... it showed up about a week late... which sucked... i got it on the 3rd, it only last acouple days and then i started getting a brown discharge on the 17th, which i thought might be implantation bleeding, but it still has not gone away. it is light.. only acouple spots on a panty liner and then when i go to the bathroom. i called my doctor yesterday and she said she would concider it a period even though there is no fresh blood coming out, just brown... and that my periods will probably be irregular for 3-6 months. i had my iud taken out in october, so hopefully it will get regular or i will get pregnant. i am still going to take a pregnancy test around the time my period would have come if this wasn't going on now, cus who really knows... maybe it is implantation bleeding. i will keep everyone updated.
I am new here and I have read all the posts and I am hoping I can get some advice.
I had the Copper T IUD for 6 years and had it removed 9 Jan 09. I had a cyst on my left ovary that was very painful so I had it taken out. I felt great after the removal. I didnt have the spotting/menses until 5 days later after my ultrasound that following Tuesday. The doc found the cyst to be nothing to worry about. So on the 14th of January I "thought" I started my AF. Started like normal, but turned out to be nothing but 9 days of spotting. I did take 5 BCP's when I started because my DH and I were not completely sure about ttc yet. DH and I had sex from the 16th through the 20 and I was to ovulate from the 24th-28th. I only took the pills for 5 days because the pills I was givin made me very sick. So I had the IUD removed, had a cyst, took 5 BCPs, had a weeks worth of sex ;)~ then completely stopped everything. I was supposed to start my AF on the 11th of Feb...I am 5 days late and counting. It doesnt even have any sign at all that it is on its way. A couple days prior to the 11th I did have the normal menstral cramping, crabbiness, sore breasts, but a no show on the AF and now the symptoms are not going away. My Doc said that because of all the changes it might take a while to get back to "normal" but then said that because I was not on the BCP's that long it is possible I could be PG. At this point if I am it would only be about 3-4 weeks, so it is still to early to tell, (I think) and I have taken PG tests and all neg. I am starting to get the nausea more after I eat or drink anything, but I dont know if it is more of the "anxiousness"...Can anyone give any advice??? Could I be preggers or is it just me STILL trying to stabalize? I have ALWAYS been regular, and on the 28 day schedule. This is the first time I have been late since my son. Has anyone ever had this happen? Has anyone got the menstral symptoms but the monthly "friend" never arrived? Advice would be sooo helpful. I dont want to call the Docs nurse, she's kinda nasty with me... hehe.. Baby dust to all!
FYI - I got my AF today. UGH what a mess! It took me 5 days but that was a tough 5 days. Hopefully all are well.
I had my iud "fall out" on Jan 17th. After having the Mirena in for almost 4 years (no period the entire time) my husband and I had been talking about ttc. And figured this was a sign that it was time. Had my first period Jan 20th. Lasted about 3 days nothing special. I felt pregnant since, then like clock work yesterday af came. I am a little disappointed. My first two kids were conceived within a month of trying and I am a bit worried that the Mirena has messed me up, I havne't seen many posts on here with people who have had the Mirena as long as I did, any advice is appreciated. I will update on when I actually do conceive.
Viewing 1-200 comments: