how soon does period resume after iud removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 401-492 comments:
I had my iud removed on 07/03/11 and it is now 08/21/11 and I still haven't gotten my period. I'm concerned. It took me two years to get pregnant before with my ex-husband I had to take fertility drugs but my husband and I are wanting to try to conceive and I haven't gotten my period since it was removed. I had to get it surgically removed and i didn't get my period the whole time I had te iud in. I took a test after work on wednesday (my hubby made me lol) and it was negative but he wants me to go see my doc cuz I didn't take the test first thing in the am. I don't know what to do. :(
My partner had her marina in for ten years, at 42 she decided she wanted another baby before it was too late! (oh dear god!) basically, since the removal on 25th aug 2010 she had spotting a few days later, then had a full period in junuary 2011, followed by a regular period in february. since then however there has been nothing. We brought ovulation tests and she is ovulaing without fail monthly- the test is definately positive with no doubt, however pregnancy is always negative. She had hormone level checks a couple of months ago and we were told her hormone level was incredibly high and she was no where near the change of life. I think if you put these hormones into your body your basically controlling natural responses so ovbously these hormones have to be gone!!

We just going to play by ear, if it happens it happens, if not it wont. Obviously she is flapping which probably isnt helping either. Wish you guys all the luck, and fingers crossed my dearly beloved will fall pregnant and end her mid life crisis before i start mine!!!

Okay I had my IUD (Mirena) removed Aug 22nd. Just yesterday morning. After having it for about 11 months...My hair is thinning so bad...crazy moood swings...acne (weird cyst like acne) naturally having good skin...and horrible insomnia..preg symptoms..you pretty much get it...I knew it was time to get the little effer out! lol...so i did...Anyways my Question is...On the night of the 18th of AUG...My partner and I had some pretty passionate adult time...And so....Im curious because it fell on my ovulation ....even though IUD was still in...just days after i had it removed...is it possible i Could have gotten prego after IUD was out...considering sperm could have still been hanging out..? what you think ladies? PLEASE respond if similar experiences...thanks :)
Hi i was wondering if someone could help me, i had my coil taken out on the 30 june this year and had a period 3 days later, but i have had nothing since and it is now 1st september, i had a bleed on 9th of august for like 10minutes but nothing else and all my pregnancy tests have said negative can anyone help me please. i really dont no what to do.
Well I dont feel like Im so crazy anymore. I have been having heavy bleeding every day 4 the a while now. My OB/GYN wanting 2 take my female orgens out but in odrer to have my insurance pay for it ... We had to do alot of meds and the last thing was the IUD. Have inserted no period for 2 weeks ,then the heavy peroids started again. Started having alot of scary side efforts... Deep depression and suicide thoughts started and I must say I was sacred out of my mind. So called my therapist , she helped . Got the IUD removed yesterday Sept. 7 , 2011. Havent had a peroid yet and still feeling depressed but OB/GYN say it should past soon. Now my insurance will cover the surgecy and I will be having that done by the end of this month.
I had my IUD inserted in 2006, unfortunately it got embedded not only in my uterus, but the fibroids I had as well and made my periods extremely heavy to the point that I ended up anemic.  I then sought out a OB/GYN to take it out. Ladies, NEVER go to a male GYN for anything like that.  He tugged and pulled on my IUD until I was almost ready to pass out.  After about 4 attempts at trying to get it out he said he couldn't do it.  He then proceeded to stick gauze up my va jj to stop the bleeding.  After he thought it stopped, he gave me a piece of gauze to use instead of a sanitary napkin (how professional and sympathetic was that ladies?) He then decided that in order to get it out, I would either need to be put under or I needed a hysterectomy.  I said that I would think about it and after I told him no to the hysterectomy and opted for the surgery, he told me that he couldn't help me and that I needed to go to  someone else to help me. Upset, I decided to go back to the place I had it put in at which was Planned parenthood.  Instead of the NP putting me through the pain inb which I described the male OB/GYN put me through, they decided to do a ultrasound to make sure it was there and referred me to a specialist. Fyi, after I left the male Dr's office, I was in so much pain.  I told my son that day that I would take him to the mall and once we got there and I started walking, All of a sudden I feel this gush of blood pouring out.  keep in mind I only had the piece of gauze the dr. gave me.  I thought I was hemorraging or something because it happened twice. Anyway, I finally had my appt. to get the thing out  on Aug. 31st 2011 and with the help of her assistant and the ultrasound machine, she was able to get it out without too much pain.  Beforehand, she gave me some ibuprofen and a shot of something to numb me, so it wasn't bad at all!! Left the office feeling good just knowing that that IUD was finally out of me.:-). Never again will I use a IUD. Unfortunately, my period was really heavy.  I'm on day 7 and it seems to finally be getting lighter.  I have been taking bc pills for the past few months to help with the bleeding, but it doesn't seem to be helping so I may have to stop the pills.  I will give it another month and see how my period is next time.
I've had the same thing. I had my IUD implanted in February of 2010. The first 6 moths were great but after that I've had nothing but problems. Cramping all the time. I have a 3 year old and some days its just too painful to move. I was losing weight after I gave birth to my daughter. I was 185 pounds when I had the IUD put in. I weighed myself last week and I'm up to 240. My doctor says that a possible side effect is weight gain. I've been working out and eating right and it doesn't help. I have massive migrans. I also feel like I'm in labor but I'm not pregnant. You are not alone.
i had my miraina removed on aug 18 2011 bec of a infectson i had and started period next day and than after that me husband have relations  and i have been getting pregancy sign for last two weeks   but took a pregancy test came back negative but home test dont work on me bec my meds bec with son i did find i was pg until three month along
I had my Mirena for 51/2 years LOL!!! i just had it removed on today and yes i had all of the side effects. no periods, cramping moodiness, nausea, a massive weight gain about 40lbs. pelvic pain.......ect i still kept in cause i didnt want to have a baby. that was my second one. You will not likely have a peroid untill the hormones are removed from your body and it gets back to normal and I would not advice pregnancy for a few months cause with my first one i had remove in march got pregnant in april with twins and i miscarried one twin and the other one i bleedf with till i was 6 months pregnant I did deliver a healthy baby boy. To each it own though I am 32 and just wanted a rest from the hormones and something being in my body for so long. I have not started bleeding yet but sure that i will soon
wow i am goin though something similiar i got ma iud removed this month on the 13 and bleed 4 days after and i had unprotected sex twice b4 the removal and now i have been feeling nauseas on and off and lots of headache on and off crampy and tired. today i took a test but neg. i could be nuthin but its early to think of anything. i wish u luck on ur answers cause im still unsure with mines :/
i had my iud for 6 yrs and had it taken out 3/10/11 we had unprotected sex for the past seven days before it was removed , i was also due on my period the day i had the coil taken out ,  it is now 5 days later and i still have not had a period , but the symptons are same as been pregnant as we already have a 6 yr old boy , cramping back ache sickness feeling but not actualy vomating aching breasts , and headache also very tired and fed up , i have taken a test at the doctors and came back negative , but the doctor did say it is possible to get pregnat streight away if u hav had the coil removed and had intercourse the day bef it was removed as sperm stayes in the body for up to 5 days , has any1 else had symptons the same and did u get pregnat or come on your period x
I had my marina tooken out  Sep 15th and my doctor told me I was post to get my period Oct 7th or 8th , and still nothing just wondering anyone else have this issues and ended up pregnant?
I guess I am unique, because I have had BOTH types of IUD's so maybe my experiences will be helpful.

I had the copper IUD after all three of my pregnancy's and loved it. I had bad experiences with birth control pills, so the hormones of the Mirena were not something I wanted to risk. I did have increased cramping which was not fun, but I loved the low maintenance and the fact that I stopped having a period. It was easy to get pregnant after removal and easy to get a new one after delivery. This will be my choice next time.

I chose a Mirena after a sexual assault that resulted in the other IUD being ripped out. Long story, lets not go there. I decided to give it a shot despite my worries of the hormones and how I might react. For the most part, it was the same as the copper. Still some increased cramping and still loss of period. (YAY!) I just had it removed a week ago. I was 5 months away from the 5 year mark, and was due to have it out then. I started with severe cramps on one side and breakthrough bleeding. After a week and a half, I finally went in. The bleeding was most likely because of the decrease in hormones because the device was nearing the end of it's life. The cramping...well it's still there and if it does not go away I might be going in to be tested for an ovarian cyst. (NOT RELATED TO IUD). I chose to have the Mirena removed because My husband and I are looking at having a baby soon and no matter the root cause, the IUD was definitely adding to my discomfort. So a week and three days later and I am still bleeding fairly heavy. I guess my body is adjusting so I will just hope things stabilize. I would go with the copper from here on out for these reasons: Still the benefit of no period. I am 29 and after one more pregnancy I am done, so the ten year life is perfect. If there is no reason to have hormones, I will avoid it.
If you have no issues about hormones or want kids closer together than 10 years, the Mirena may be the best choice for you. It's cheaper and still very effective.
I just wanted to add that I have had the weight gain and mood swings as well. I have done research and think that what I have been thinking was fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue could actually be side effects of the Mirena. I have no proof, but these have weighed heavily in my decision to go back to copper.
hi, I have just been to the doctors as I have had the same thing, I only had the mirena in for 2 months, had it removed, 3 days later I had a bleed for 4 days, then again 27 days later 4 days of bleeding, then 12 days after am again bleeding heavy, doc just said its mirena removal and come back in 2 months if not settled, it annoying as i cant work out when im supposed to ovulate
Ok so here's my story. I had the mirena iud put in on August 23 07, and now removed May 11,11, due to problems. Now 6 months later i had a period in june 4, july 3, august 4, no period in September, October 2, and none in the month of November so far. Was due on the 2nd, husband and I are trying to have a baby. I dont want to take too many test just to get myself disappointed. I told the hubs we r waiting to see if my next period comes or not. Is it common to miss periods just because
I had my mirena iud removed in september and s started bleeding shortly after  it lasted 5 days. In October and November I started my period on the 8th and they were normal we are now December 16 and no sign of a period should I be worried I am not trying to concieve (conceive) please tell me if you can relate thank you
i had my iud for 5 yrs n took it out started on b/c pills 2 months later i still dont have a menstral its weird, but the pelvic pain may mean u have cysts in that area i would check to see if u can get an ultra sound on it- i always seem to get that and alot of pain in the pelvic area-good luck
I had my IUD(Mirena) for 5years and just got it taken out on Jan 2/2012
I gained 90lbs and was always bloated and felt like I had no enerygy...now that its out the bloating is gone and I have energy! its only been 2 days so I dont know about weight loss yet... but i have a nother problem I was laying in bed thinking how we want to try for another baby after my sisters wedding (june) and then I rememberd we had unprotected sex on new years day..... and i still have not had any spoting or a period and I havent had one for 2 years.... maybe some spotting last year but nothing for atleast a year.....so I was wondering if it could be possible to ovulate? when I havent had any blood?
me too, your not alone. I'm 4 days late and have bought so many PT its crazy maybe just symptoms from having IUD removed
Just saw your post, has your period gotten back to normal yet?  I had the paraguard as well for 4 years, had it removed 2 years ago and still have not had regular periods( very light and only last a day or 2) and have not been able to get pregnant- we haven't used any kind of birth control for 2 years and I still can't concieve (conceive)- are you still having issues?
I had my iud inserted a week ago, and was not told that I would bleed for up to 6 month, I had a new boyfriend and was so embarrassed to tell him. So I guess it been effective since I can't/won't have sex. I'm getting it removed tomorrow, will my bleeding stop rite away?
Is there a Planned Parenthood near you?? Some of their services fees are based on income. Just a suggestion.
i had my mirena almost 4 years. i gained 60 pounds was losing hair, constantly thought i was pregnant, then a couple weeks ago had horrible cramping like i did when i went into labour with my daughter. about 12 hours later my mirena came out i mad an appt with the dr a few days later n they gave me plan b and started me on birth control pills. well now i feel terrible :(. sick to my stomache, headaches, breast pain, cant stop crying (i dont normally cry hardly at all), i'm very angry for no reason, i just do not feel good! has this happened to anyone else????? oh and im not pregnant. have done multiple pg tests n blood tests
I had my IUD removed in DEC. I have had no bleeding, not even the bleeding everyone talks about 3 days after removal.  Should I be worried? Oh had it in for almost 4 years no cycle and tubal done 2 years ago.  Thanks!
i had the copper coil put in feb 2010 i found it uncomftable to have sex and had blood in my urine the day after sex went to doctors and got told it will soon go to normal in couple of weeks in that time i had already had it a few month i. i had very heavy periods to the point i didnt like to leave my house incase i leaked through then come november 2011 i started spot bleeding every day sometime in the morn sometines in the eve so i decided to have it removed and instead of going on somethink else me and my partner have decided to have a 3rd child i spot bled upto the day i had it removed and for a week after its now been 15 days since i had it removed not had a proper period yet but i am getting the cramping feeling like im gonna have my period x
Where do you live? If you don't have any insurance, you need to apply for Family Planning Waiver. it's a division of Medicaid. It will pay for birth control, removal of IUD included, annual exams, and follow-up for birth control. I don't know where you live, but in Granville County NC, we have a sliding fee scale based on income. Some people don't end up having to pay at all. You haven't talked to the right people!!
Hello all, I had my IUD removed on 12/21/11, got a full on-heavy cycle on 12/23/11. Bled all the way to my wedding day 12/31/11. We've had intercourse almost daily since the wedding. Based on a 28 day cycle, I should have started my period yesterday. I've been feeling crazy bloated and crampy but nothing else. No breast tenderness (like before I usually get my period), nothing. I've taken PTs as well, all negative. I'm hoping that something happens next week. Breast tenderness, cycle, something. I hate the "wait and see" game. We are TTC, sooner rather than later because I'm not getting any younger. Wish us luck, will keep u posted.
I don't know what to think after reading all of this! I had my Mirena IUD removed on November 19th, 2011 and now on January 25th I still have absolutely no signs of my period coming. Not even cramping. When it was removed I had spotting for a few hours at the most. Since then, nothing. I'm starting to get worried. I've taken multiple HPT's and all turned out negative. I've been bloated and nauseous, sore breasts and constantly tired. I feel like I did with my first pregnancy. Does any one else have any tips to start my period? I've made a doctor appointment but can't get in until March 27th. I live in a small town and the nearest doctor other than my own is more than an hour away.
hi i had the odd days of spot bleeding 3 weeks befor my copper coil was removed and and for around a week after it has now been 21 days since coil was removed still no normal period like u i have taken 2 preg test and both negitive i feel sick alot my skin is spotty and i feel bloated the last period i had that was normal was in nov 2011 how long do u think i should wait to do another test and did ur blood test confirm pregnancy xx
I got the Mirena this year in the beginning of January. I had it in for bout a week and my body started to reject it. My boyfriend and I had sex and he came in me twice while i had the Mirena in. Do you think that their could be a chance of me being pregnant? After the Mirena was taken out i bleed for a few days and i am not bleeding anymore. I've been peeing frequently but nothing to bad. I have no signs of being pregnant. What do you guys think?
i had the same problem and it turned out to be PID it ***** *** horriblepain even now and iv had it removed for 3 months now i hope you  have better luck than did!good luck.
I had my Mirena removed at the end of December 2011. I had spotting right after removal, and then it stopped for a couple days and then I had more spotting for about 3 to 4 days (I assumed it might be my period cause that is when I calculated it should have come, but who knows). It was very light. The following week (when I should have been ovulating) I had symptoms like moodiness, a little bit of cramping and breast tenderness. My husband and I would like to start ttc within in a couple months, but I would like to get back onto my normal cycle so I have a better idea of where things are and when we have the best chances to conceive. I'm currently 4 days late for what should have been my first period. Have a feeling my system just isn't reset yet, but we shall see. Probably won't worry until I potentially hit 2 to 3 months with no period!
Hi guys i got my iud taken out jan 9 2012 i had paragard i have 2 kids now im trying to have another one we have tried from the first day i took it i thought i would be preggo quick just like my 2nd child , well i got my period today 1/30/12 i dont know why i didnt get pregnant im so Sad hopefully i get preg soon :( if u guys can think of anything
Hi after reading your post I am exactly the same I had mine removed in december due to the usual side effects such as no sex drive etc.  I had it in for 3 1/2 years but to date I havent had a period.  I keep getting period pains back ache etc but no bleeding.  Ive done 3 pregnancy tests but all negative (thank god) im 39 and do not want any more children but im worried why my periods arent coming!!
I had my mirena removed on dec. 27 2011. I had it in for 4 years, barely had a period while it was in. I havent had any spotting or anything. The last two weeks my breasts have felt a little tender, but im not sure how soon i should take a test. I want another baby, it would be amazing if i was pregnant! Prayers.
Hi all, i had my mirena coil removed 9th Jan 2012, after having it for 5 years. I had no periods whilst i had it in, since then i have had brown spotting about 2-3days after removal and nothing since. Yes i have had unprotected sex a few time since having it out, the past few days my boobs are really sore, i have lower back pain and feel sick sometimes. I did a hpt a few days ago and it was neg, could i be pregnant and the hpt not pick it up due the hormones that was with the coil? how long does it take for everything to go back to some normal order? all i do is worry about it.
Anyone help x
Hi i have the same problem. How was the out come for you? Did you take a hpt?
I have the same symptoms as you described here and I just wondered if you had your period or found out your were pregnant in the end?
I have had 2 periods this month since removing my iud is this normal to have two periods in the same month?
I removed my iud on the 21st of feb and had intercourse on the 23rd thinking my period starts on the 28th and i had symptoms 4 days before my period my breasts were swollen and tender and today 29 still no period and all symptoms and pains dissapeared do u think i could be pregnant that quick??? Isn't that not normal?
Had sex 3days before I had the IUD removed still haven't stared my period. could I do pregrant?
Hello, i know you posted this a while ago but i wondered if you could tell me the outcome of your situation. I had the copper coil in for about a year and had  it removed last Thursday 1st march 2012. My period was due on the 3rd of march and i'm now 5 days late. I was always regular, never late or missed a period. Me and my partner had intercourse about 4/5 days before i had it taken out. I've done a HPT but it was negative. I had no bleeding or pain after the coil was removed. Like you i have experienced the same symptoms. As it was a none hormonal coil i thought that it shouldn't interfere with my monthly cycle. So i just wondered if you could possibly let me know how it turned out for you? When should i try another test? thank you so much. it's hard to find any answers as most people seem to be talking about the mirena coil and not the copper coil.
Flick
Megan, have you gotten your period yet?  I'm having the same issue as you were.  Got mirena removed on Jan. 21st and thus far no signs of a period... almost 2 months.  
My last period was in Feb 9 had the mirena removed on the 20th and haven't seen a period yet I done hpt but they come out neg went to the Dr office and did a urine test as well and came neg he sent me a blood test witch I havent taken yet..he said I shud see it within 2 weeks from the day I seen him witch was in 15 th of March so I am waiting till those 2 weeks from that day witch will be the 29th can I possibly pregnant? I had the mirena for 16 months someone plz help!
Did. U get it? Today I started. Spotting brownish :/so confused :/
I just wanted to say i had my IUD in for about 6 months or so and recently got it removed on the 20th and i am 5 weeks pregnant so it is possible to get pregnant right away i am a lil cramping no bleeding so hopefully everything gos good but i just wanted to give you ladys hope because it is possible and it eventually will happen. SO GOOD LUCK LADIES i will pray for you all !!!
I just had my marina removed 2days ago. I have 2 sons, 12y/o and a 5y/o. My fiancé has 2 boys as well a 6y/o and 5y/o. All we both want is just 1girl. I'm taking a lot of steps to help build the odds in our favor but with not even a cramp yet? I had my marina iud in for 4 1/2 years. I'm not sure if it's normal, but since the day it was taken out, I've been like a horny teenager chasing my poor fiancé around. Is this normal.? I'm waiting for at least a cramp so I know my period is coming so I can plan accordingly on best times to conceive a girl. Am I alone in this?
I removed my iud   7th of may and I've been bleeding alot, (very heavy)        the last 3 days the bleeding has been very little,it's a very light brown color, I'm gaining weight and very hungry all the time, and my taste buds are very sensitive, everything taste so yummy, so I will find out in 2 weeks if I'm pregnant or not wish me luck ladies

So update:

That first period after the IUD removal was so bad I almost went to the hospital. I was soaking a super tampon or pad every 90 min for four days before it slowed. I had two more cycles after that and have now gone almost 4 MONTHS without one!!! I have taken dozens of pg tests and they are all negative. I have looked into it and so many people seem to just stop ovulating after an IUD and I am crushed. We have been trying so hard for that baby and now it feels like my body has quit on me. I would NEVER EVER recommend Mirena to anyone. It is my biggest regret and has caused SO many health problems. Stick with copper!
Hello! I’m 25 and a 1 ½ year Hodgkin’s lymphoma cancer survivor. I had my mirena IUD for 3 years and 1 month. I had no periods while having it and no problems with it besides the strings being too long at first. I recently got my mirena IUD removed on April 20, 2012 and now a month later I still have no sign of a period. HPT’s are all negative. I had two children with average pregnancies excluding needing bed rest with the first. I was told when I started chemo that I would never be able to conceive again but after finishing all treatment I went to a fertility specialist and they told me that I still had eggs and in all medical ways “ready to go” to have children.  I have been having unprotected sex pretty much all the time to the point where my husband tells me no! We want more children but I’m afraid that I’ve already asked for too much to be cancer free. I know that my situation is very specific but I just wanted to know what I should expect or if anyone out there has been in my place before. Thank you for reading
do you get your period right after you get it out cause last year i had mine replaced and man the pain was so horrible i could not breath i want to get it out now cause i want a baby what should i expect please help me
good luck i am taking mine out in july i hope i can still have a baby i have a 15 year old and a soon to be 13 and i had a son who has passed i want a boy so bad i hope it happens
I had almost identical situation! I just recently had my IUD removed, it's been about a month and half, and still no sign of my cycle returning. I was diagnosed with hodgkin's lymphoma while I was pregnant with my first son, and waited to receive treatment until after he was born. For more cancer attacking my body recently diagnosed with cervical cancer, I had to have some of my cervix removed and the IUD as well. I never had a menstrual cycle when I was on the IUD and no spotting or anything when it was taken out. My husband and I are looking forward to trying for another baby in feb. We want to give my body time to adjust back to normal after the trauma it just went through a month an half ago. I figured that my breasts were getting bigger and swollen due to the hormones adjusting, and I've had barely any appetite since it's been removed! I'm constantly tired, and some pregnancy symptoms! I have a follow up with my Doc on the 25th, so I will ask him what's up, and maybe get some answers for the both of us lol! Glad to hear that you are cancer free!!!!! An I hope that it stays that way! Take care and God Bless :)
The doc told me yesterday (June 11) that if there is sperm in the radius, if you have sex 5 days before the removal, you can get pregnant immediately!!! I had my IUD in for 2 years, never had a period on it, and now I am just dealing with cramps and spotting. Yeah, my removal hurt, but it also hurt going in. I am praying for fast conception (my fiance and I are getting married on September 1st, he hopes to be able to announce a pregnancy at our wedding :P)
i am currently going thru the same thing, i had my mirena removed may 14th and i had some spotting 2 days later that lasted 2-3days and then nothing after that, now its June 26th and yesterday i started spotting again! this time with awful cramps! :( My back aches, my breasts are sore, im severely emotional, i cried watching a commercial that wasnt all to serious! i've taken pregnancy tests and they came out negative, and im concerned like you were that the hormones are giving me a false reading.. i have a dr appt next week and i'm going to see whats going on.... did anything ever change for you??
awh, Congrats! :)
I took my mirena out on June 22nd, after 2 years of having it in. I had recently started having symptoms that were driving me nuts and not getting better. Things like mood swings, headaches, acne (NEVER had breakout problems till recently, not even when I was pregnant), Never missed a period, slight weight gain, abdominal pain near my ovaries that wouldn't go away (I do have ovarian cysts), pregnancy symptoms while not being pregnant, and more. I decided to take the mirena due to bleeding for the last month that wouldn't go away and the stomach pains. My problem now is that I took it out a week before my period was expected to arrive. I started bleeding the 3rd day after removal and am still bleeding.  The color or flow amount hasn't changed any. I usually do not get the usualy cramps, breast pains, ect  most would get with their periods...and was due to start my period June 30th. I cannot tell if I am on my period or not :/. I have checked my uterus opening for signs...but again, I can't tell. My husband and I were looking to trying to get pregnant on my next ovulation date, which is next week should I have started my period on time. Has anyone else who has been tracking their periods and ovulations experienced this? Did you get pregnant when you were expecting to? Does anyone know how to tell the difference with the bleeding from mirena and your period? I've even been to the Obgyn and she had no answers for me. I am now scheduled to see another Obgyn because of my current Dr.s "lack" of knowledge or interest in the matter.That's in about a weeks time. Please help! (I have since bought PT tests and ovulations tests as my last resort. and am still tracking things as if I am still on schedule even though I have no clue if this Mirena screwed everything up).
I had my IUD removed on June.13th, 2012. I spotted very little for one day and still no period... I have some of the same symptoms as I did when I was pregnant, but had a negative test.. Is it possible to preg. even though I didnt have a period???

What has been the outcome to the issue...are/aren't you pregnant?  I had the coil removed 5 weeks a go, about 10 days after I had spotting for a day, and not yet had a period.  I know your body needs to regulate itself again so i am not worried about this.  However, i do have all those common pregnancy symptoms that have been mentioned numerous times in all the recent posts.  But I have done PTs and had negative responses.  We are trying for a baby, but because with the coil I never had periods, I therefore have no clue when one is due, or when I am meant to ovulate.  Everyone is different and everyones bodies react differently.
the bleeding should stop.
OMG i had your same problems.........i still do and i only had my coil for 3 months i wish i never ever put it in my body ...........it messed up my body
hi all. i have had my coill in for 3 years now and although i have not had a period since then(heaven) the downside is no damn sex drive at all( so not me) i really wana get this thing out.. i have managed to lose 52lb since havin it thru gym and slimming world... i now want it out as i want my sex drive back... i want to kno from someone who had it out,, do you periods start straight away? can u use tampax straight away??? has anyone found NO weight gain since havin it out.... HELP... im at a loss here
anyone??????
Xin314, i had gotten the mirena uid removed august 30 due to getting cramps, mood swings, no sex drive and weight gain. 4 days later (sept  4) I started A PERIOD which was heavy with blood cloths that soaked a pad every 2-3 hours. Lasted almost a week of hell. Life hasn't been the same. Face breaks out in crazy pimples and it's been 41 days since sept and still no period. Something isn't right with my mind & body cause nothing has changed. No desire to be sexually active. Just want my body back to normal. I did manage to lose the weight gained from the IUD fast which seems to be the only plus side of everything. I more then certain i'm not pregnant due to low sex drive and know i haven't been sexual active. I guess i should add, I did get pregnant back in May but had a miscarriage and a D&C july 14 and soon after had the iud inserted. I dont know about anyone else but I WONT recommend getting the Mirena. Everyday i'm hoping to get my period and get my mind and body back to normal.
I had my iud removed on 9-25 I got my period on the very next day it last for about 3 day I trying to have a baby so I have been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend every night I was due for my period on 10-22 no period yet I took a hpt 6 days before my period was due. It was neg I have not took on yet sence my period been late what should I do its now 10-31 and I'm scared I want this baby and this would be baby number 3 for me so!!!!!!!!!!! Help please
I had my Mirin IUD removed 30 days ago and I had my period for the last 28 days and the last week was so heavy with big blood clots, it was very scary, I was feeling faint, thank goodness for this website, because I got through it without even having to call the doctor since I knew others had gone through it and survived. Today is day 30 and I am period free and never felt better. Make sure you take a good iron supplement and drink lots of water, and don't put your faith on the doctors who omit info!
Thank you!
I got my Mirena removed on 11/16/12 after 3 years of having it. I was so excited about the removal. Looking forward to my body getting back to normal. I spotted off and on for the first 5-6 days after removal of Mirena. On 12/8/12 I got a full fledge period, heavy to moderate bleeding, lower back pain, and one big pimple on my chin. I'm expecting period to last at least 5-7 days and just waiting to see if the other months to come are regular periods. I feel better that I have the Mirena out. All these symptoms I had with the Mirena: weight gain, stuffy nose off and on all the time, mild soreness in center of chest at certain times of the month, lower back pain,and no sexual drive/desire. I've seen an improvement on all my symptoms except sex drive. I'm happy to say I've lost 3 lbs since removal and hope that it will continue to gradually go down to the weight I was prior to insertion. Agree with Alice and glad for website like this where you can realize you're not the only girl with Mirena story. Hang in there Ladies!!
I had my coil out on the 7th jan and I had abit of bleed on the 11th til 13 th jan but no mire since then.
So how long dose it take to have a period?? Me and my husband have been having sex but he puts it inside me for abit then just before he comes he puts a condom on
It could take for one month to six months to get a period I think unless u go back to the dr. And get prover50mg perscribed after u had waited for two hole months .....that's what happen to me but we r all different so just be patient itll come.
Okay I really would Love Some Advise!! IM 22YRS YOUNG I HAD THE IDU (Mirena 2008-2013) full 5yrs not a period at all the hole time
I just had the idu removed Jan.18.2013 came out with ease No bleeding no cramping nothing . Was sore on day2 felt like a truck hit me haha but no bleeding still. Ive Been tring to concieve (conceive) sense day one of removal.  My son has just turn 5yrs old and would love to give him a sibling asap.  Its now been about 4wks No bleeding no symptoms of. Upcoming period or pregnacy. Im truely worried about. Not being able to concieve (conceive) ive toom 3 PT and all neg. Maybe it to early to tell but im anxious and ready to have my #2and give my #1a bestfriend before he get to much older. Like I said ive had no period all 5yrs and now 29days after ive had IuD removed Im so hopful and it sad to see my husband  get excited. While wait for the home PT. Resu lts and it be neg. It breaks my heart:(  ive been taking prenatals sense removal sense Dr. Recomened . Any one else going through what I am going through
It could take for one month to six months to get a period I think unless u go back to the dr. And get prover50mg perscribed after u had waited for two hole months .....that's what happen to me but we r all different so just be patient itll come.............

I have also been trying since I got it removed in august but no luck yet well it may take a cycle to conceive but as dr. Say its better to wait after 3 cycles to try to conceive Becouse its possible to have a m/c cus of the lining of the uterus......but there has been womans that have conceive after one cycle and had a safe pregnatcy but it all depends on your body.......may be u should try testing for ovulation and may be get lucky any thing is possible just have faith!! Well wish u the best dont stress on it to much try to stay relaxed I know its hard cus ive been threw that. Good luck and let us know when u get ur BFP :)
i getting my IUD taking out soon. but  right after i want to be put on Clomid.
do you think my ob will go for it
I know this post is kind of old but was just wondering how you made out. I was due for my period on the 4th I had the copper iud removed on the 3rd, i continue to have a lot of cramping like i'm getting it but it is know the 7th and still not had it and i've alway's get it on the 4th of every month soo i'm pretty regular .. but have bein freaking out
I had my iud removed 5 days ago and have had extreme period symptoms since but nothing except some barely noticeable spotting when wiping. I feel miserable like I am stuck in premenstrual hell . How long did it take you to start your actual period or for the symptoms to go away?
I wonder why there aren’t any class action yet on Paragard?? I would like to start getting women who have been suddenly diagnosed with Endometriosis or coincidental now have it after having it removed? Also any other complications such as Miscarriages,PID etc or had Endometrial tissue implanted in a rare part of body. I promise that I will get our story out and possibly get this lawsuit started. Please email me your Story @ ***@****. I am not giving up and know that there many cases like mines.
It's my Jen21625 at Yahoo
I'm about to have it removed tomorrow, and I am wondering...Will I start my period...I only have it for 11 months...I am getting it removed because I developed infections around Mirena IUD...I had bleeding last week and Been hurting and I've been cramp and hurts while I have my "Play time" with my husband...I kinda want to get preg this year...But only problem is the period is in the question...I'm good at counting my days of period and when to ouvlate. I'd appericate the answers that you may have.
I noticed y'all have Prenacny like sytmpoms after IUD is removed....I just had mine removed as of May 17th, 2013....I haven't started my period...removal was painless! It was quick as 2 seconds...I'm glad...I plan on giving my body time to get regulate...My dr pescribed me TriNessa birth control pill to prevent preg...I'm serious, If I say no to him, he'd aruge.
I don't want to take Birth Control because I need my hormoes level back to normal...That's important.
I had the coil removed after 1year,I have bled so heavy 4 well over a week.still avnt stopped,chronic back ache.never again,
Family planning will not remove the iud if they did not put it in I to.d me I had to go only to the doc that put it in and then come back for a different birth control the removal costs about 300$
I had my Mirena for 4.5 years. After the first two months of having it, I had semi-normal periods. And nothing after that, no periods, no cramping, nothing. All of a sudden around the last year I had it, I was getting depressed, stressed and frustrated over the smallest little things. I didn't feel right, couldn't think straight, everything in my mind was a fight for whatever reason. I found myself being short with my daughter and my fiancé, who tried but had no idea of what to do for me. I had the Mirena taken out January 3rd, 2013. I had one normal period the month following removal. Then the second month after removal I was at a Dr. apt with my daughter at her Dr. and had this strange warm GUSH while in the waiting room, went to the bathroom, and sure enough it was the HEAVIEST period I have ever had in my life!! No cramping though. Had to leave then and reschedule my daughter appt. Since then, my "periods" have been spotting for 3 weeks, clear for a week then over and over the same cycle again. Its been almost 8 months, when is this gonna get back to normal???????
Have you had a period yet?? I had mine removed about 2 months ago and first month after removal all tests were negative and I am on the pill. Wondering if you got yours and when?
I had mirena removed august 8th 2013, I have had breast tenderness, cramps and lower back pains. Also been extremely tired and just wanting to sleep all the time. I am hoping i'm not pregnant. :/
I had the merena iud in for a year but I got it taken out taken out September the 6th 2013 because i was cramping really bad and might have An infection. I had it removed while i was spotting a little because thats when your cervix has softened. But the next day after removal I had brown spotting to a watery red period. Now it's the 11th of September 2013 and I'm still bleeding heavy but only when I wipe, how long does this last? I'ts driving me insane!
I had a peragard IUD in for 5 1/2  years. Removed it on April 2013 it is now November 20013 and me and my partner have been having unprotected sex and I'm still not pregnant. Is that normal? We really want to concive. I don't know wat to do. I get normal periods sometimes behind for a couple days. Everything is normal I just can't seem to get pregnant.
Hi all, I had my last period the 1st November and had my copper coil removed the 29th November (had intercourse the night before) I still haven't had my period since!! Can any anyone give me advise? Is this normal? I havnt done a test yet.....please help if you can.
I have been reading a lot of comments on when you should/could get your period after you get your IUD removed. But most of the women had their IUD for months even years.
As for me I only had mine in for 4 days in February until I had to get it removed because I had all the side effects. It took a week to get the fever and infection under control.
I started getting cramps just last week but no blood.  
I will ask my doctor but I'm just wondering if anyone else has been through this like myself. And if so when did you get your period back.

Thanks in advance.
i had the mirena removed 2 weeks ago and idk how soon after im supposed to have a period, i havent had one in three years; my doctor said not to try getting pregnant until ive had three normal cycles but ive had a headache for 4  days now and feel nauseous in the evenings, does anyone have any answers for me please?
Did anyone spotted or had a period right after the IUD was put in? Was just wandering because I am still spotting?
Viewing 401-492 comments: