WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
hydrocodone while pregnant
by amberk, Feb 26, 2006
I just found out that I am pregnant.I am not sure how far along I am yet but I will see my doctor next week. I have been taking Hydrocodone 10/650 for about a year now for my hip/back pain. I had been taking it more frequently the past month because the pain became unbearable.My back pain is getting worse each day and I have heard from some people that it is safe to take hydro in low doses while pregnant, but I just wanted to get some input before I see my doctor. I have been taking 1 pill at night and not taking anything during the day. Please help!
Member Comments (31)
by kellibug, Feb 26, 2006
if i were you i wouldnt take anything at all without talking to my MD first. even if hes gives you the ok to take it i would just use it at LEAST as possible.
by greenpixie, Feb 26, 2006
Yeah, you need to ask your DR about this even if your appt. is far off.  You really don't want to be doing anything that could be a risk to your baby.
by dandeelyon, Feb 26, 2006
I'm currently taking hydrocodone for my headaches and I am 12 weeks pregnant.  If you are taking it daily, they will probably try to find something else that works for you during the last couple of months of the pregnancy.  They may start switching you slowly now to make it easier at the end.  Every dr. is different when it comes to that type of thing.

Good luck.
by amberk, Feb 26, 2006
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted a response to my question. This forum has been really helpful during this stressful time!
by dandeelyon, Feb 26, 2006
Oh, and I have two other children.  I took the same medications when I was pregnant with them and they are both perfectly healthy children.  My daughter was 9 lbs and my son was 7lbs 2 ozs.  Both good size.  

Definately let your dr. know what you've been taking though.  They are the ones who know your medical history.

I hope everything goes very well for you.
by kendalland shastasmom, Feb 26, 2006
There is another type of treatment that you can try.  Apply a heat pack to your back and hips for 3 minutes and then apply and ice pack for 30 seconds.  Do this for four rounds and that should eliminate the pain.  Use the heat but don't take it over 110F so that it won't hurt the baby.  I wouldn't take any medicine during your pregnancy that your don't have to.  Drugs in general can cause problems and when your body is changing while you are pregnant anything could happen.  Check online for other water therapy remedies and they should be safe for you to use.  Rememebr God gave us water and naturl remedies to use so I ould try them first.  Also you could try an all vegan diet.  The fat and protien in meat and dairy cause inflammation in the muscles and can make your pain worst.  I have changed my diet to an all vegan diet at month 2 and I will tell you I hardly even know that I am pregnant.  May weight has been controled this time and I feel great.  Even better I have had no leg cramps this pregnancy unlike my last to were I took in the meat and diary.  Check into Dr. Kalpper and he will be able to help you through his videos and books to help you eat and get everything that you need for the baby.
by dandeelyon, Feb 26, 2006
I'm taking 7.5/500.  I've also taken oxycodone but it nocks me out to where I can't function.  I only use that when I have nothing else to do.  I take either one probably twice a week.  I'm hoping that the headaches will start easing up now that my hormones are leveling out.

by amberk, Feb 26, 2006
I just wanted to know what dosage of hydro you are taking. I am taking 10/650.Thanks!
by JoAnnaRF, Feb 27, 2006
I suffer from severe back pain and have had a surgery that failed making things worse. I know it is so easy for people to say that you should just STOP taking your meds but this is NOT a good idea. First of all, not many people can comprehend the intensity of pain associated with a back injury or condition, and I honestly wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But you are obviously being treated for Pain Management and have been taking these meds for awhile. Stopping abruptly is NOT safe and you should only stop under the supervision of your doctor. Yes, make your OB aware that you are taking pain management drugs, and Yes, let your Pain Man. Doc know that you are pregnant, and together, figure out what you are supposed to do. I'm sure that at this point in your treatment, like me, you have tried EVERYTHING known to man to stop the pain as naturally as possible, from heat, cold, PT, vitamins, diet etc.. This is all great in theory, but sometimes it just isn't that simple. Chronic back pain can be so underestimated. I wish that people could understand what a serious condition this is. It is crippling, debilitating, depressing, and just plain H E L L to put it mildly. And you should not be expected to just "deal" with it because you are pregnant. So please, just get with your doctors, and make sure they are involved wth all aspects of your treatment, even if it means that you stop taking your meds for a while. Just make sure that these decisions are made with their expertise.
I know this is a hard time and the pregnancy is such a blessing. All the best to you. I really do feel for you.
--J